PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming changes to Division I football being narrowed down

MplsBison
April 6th, 2012, 12:42 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/usaedition/2012-04-05-bcs-playoff-scenario_st_u.htm

The changes proposed will undoubtedly have a trickle down effect on the FCS conferences and especially for those teams looking to move to the FBS.

At the least, it means that AQ's are done for the BCS conference champions. That means San Diego and Boise playing football on the east coast is bunk. The deal will and should fall through.

It means that the merger between the CUSA and MWC is bunk. The deal will and should fall through.

NHwildEcat
April 6th, 2012, 01:45 PM
The top 4 teams will play in the semi-finals, unless they are in the Rose Bowl...so many stipulations for this big spending schools. So the semi-finals then become the top 4 (or so teams-and 1 or 2 of those teams has no actual chance to advance to the Title game?) so backwards...what an utter mess.

BlueHenSinfonian
April 6th, 2012, 08:51 PM
The top 4 teams will play in the semi-finals, unless they are in the Rose Bowl...so many stipulations for this big spending schools. So the semi-finals then become the top 4 (or so teams-and 1 or 2 of those teams has no actual chance to advance to the Title game?) so backwards...what an utter mess.

The way I read it the top 4 teams at the end of the season (and how are they determined?) will play, and the Rose Bowl teams will play, and based on the winners of those three games two will be chosen to play in the championship game.

There are so many problems with that I don't know where to start:

1. It gives the Big 10 and Pac-12 a huge advantage since they are locked to the Rose Bowl. The Big-10/Pac-12 champs automatically get a chance for the BCS Champioship every year.

2. Three games leads to two spots for a championship - so someone is going to get cheated every year.

3. It still leaves out the majority of the FBS, which is what the major complaint about the current system is.

What would be so hard about doing it this way:

Round 1- Non-AQ conference champs face off against each other plus 3 wild card teams (8 teams play, 4 advance) These games are branded as the current low-tier bowls
Roung 2- Winners of those games play the bottom ranked 4 seeded AQ conference teams (again 8 teams play, 4 advance) These games are branded as the 2nd tier bowls
Round 3- Winners of those games play the top 4 ranked AQ conference seeds (again 8 teams, 4 advance) 2 of these games will rotate between the Orange/Sugar/Fiesta/Rose the other two can be bid on on a year to year basis
Round 4- Winners of Round 3 face off - These games are branded as whichever combination of Orange/Sugar/Fiesta/Rose weren't used in round 3
Round 5 - FBS Championship game, location/sponsorship/branding bid on on a year to year basis

This keeps the history of the bowls alive, it gives everyone a chance, and it gives plenty of games to fill out the season.

Mr. C
April 7th, 2012, 01:21 AM
The way I read it the top 4 teams at the end of the season (and how are they determined?) will play, and the Rose Bowl teams will play, and based on the winners of those three games two will be chosen to play in the championship game.

1. It gives the Big 10 and Pac-12 a huge advantage since they are locked to the Rose Bowl. The Big-10/Pac-12 champs automatically get a chance for the BCS Champioship every year.

2. Three games leads to two spots for a championship - so someone is going to get cheated every year.

3. It still leaves out the majority of the FBS, which is what the major complaint about the current system is.

Round 1- Non-AQ conference champs face off against each other plus 3 wild card teams (8 teams play, 4 advance) These games are branded as the current low-tier bowls
Roung 2- Winners of those games play the bottom ranked 4 seeded AQ conference teams (again 8 teams play, 4 advance) These games are branded as the 2nd tier bowls
Round 3- Winners of those games play the top 4 ranked AQ conference seeds (again 8 teams, 4 advance) 2 of these games will rotate between the Orange/Sugar/Fiesta/Rose the other two can be bid on on a year to year basis
Round 4- Winners of Round 3 face off - These games are branded as whichever combination of Orange/Sugar/Fiesta/Rose weren't used in round 3
Round 5 - FBS Championship game, location/sponsorship/branding bid on on a year to year basis

This keeps the history of the bowls alive, it gives everyone a chance, and it gives plenty of games to fill out the season.

Pretty good idea on your part. But it probably makes too much sense for the football power brokers.

MSUDuo
April 7th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Pretty good idea on your part. But it probably makes too much sense for the football power brokers.

This.

Makes way too much sense

NHwildEcat
April 7th, 2012, 07:00 AM

You're idea is better then anything they have. But the fear of the higher ups is that with a playoff the bowls become even more pointless. I agree there should be come agreement, but who pays costs? Is it still the BCS, or does the NCAA take over travel costs? Who runs the tournament, again the BCS or the NCAA. I think that is why it is difficult to mix the bowls with a tournament no matter the format.

And the problem I get with the article is that the Rose Bowl winner matters, unless it is not a top 4 team in the country...So in an ideal year it would just be the top 4 teams in the semi-finals, winner go to the title game. But, when you start factoring in the need for a Big 10 and Pac12 teams in the Rose Bowl it throws an issue into it all. I think the Rose Bowl would be best in this case to take the second best team from whatever conference has a team in the semi-finals.

frozennorth
April 7th, 2012, 03:34 PM
The rose bowl should look at making a play to be the annual, permanent host of the national championship game, in exchange for acceding to a 4 team playoff, and get that 4 team playoff locked in for as long as possible. The Rose Bowl has survived losing a big10 or pac10 champion or two to the NCG for years.

NHwildEcat
April 7th, 2012, 03:41 PM
The rose bowl should look at making a play to be the annual, permanent host of the national championship game, in exchange for acceding to a 4 team playoff, and get that 4 team playoff locked in for as long as possible. The Rose Bowl has survived losing a big10 or pac10 champion or two to the NCG for years.

Makes sense to me...I only recognize the Rose Bowl when I think of college bowl games...

ursus arctos horribilis
April 7th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Makes sense to me...I only recognize the Rose Bowl when I think of college bowl games...

It's the only bowl game I ever watch. Once in a while I'll catch a little bit of the NC game but don't care enough to usually watch the whole thing. I'd watch the 4 team playoff thing I'm pretty sure.

MplsBison
April 7th, 2012, 07:46 PM

That's just one of four ideas they're considering. No playoff is ever going to be able to end the Rose Bowl's influence on the major league college football post-season. It has to be given consideration.

I'd rather see the plus-one myself. Just play the bowl games using the traditional tie-ins or whatever contract the bowl has with conferences and then recalculate the BCS standings after those games are played. Top two teams play in a national championship game that is bid out to a neutral site.

It's the simplest and cleanest way to do it. And frankly it's what the Bowl Alliance should've been from the start. The idea of breaking up the traditional tie-ins in exchange for auto-bids was a flawed concept from the start. I'm glad they're going away.

BlueHenSinfonian
April 7th, 2012, 08:50 PM
That's just one of four ideas they're considering. No playoff is ever going to be able to end the Rose Bowl's influence on the major league college football post-season. It has to be given consideration.

I'd rather see the plus-one myself. Just play the bowl games using the traditional tie-ins or whatever contract the bowl has with conferences and then recalculate the BCS standings after those games are played. Top two teams play in a national championship game that is bid out to a neutral site.

It's the simplest and cleanest way to do it. And frankly it's what the Bowl Alliance should've been from the start. The idea of breaking up the traditional tie-ins in exchange for auto-bids was a flawed concept from the start. I'm glad they're going away.

Any plan that keeps the current BCS conference monopoly on the championship game is no improvement on what we have now.

In no other Division 1 sport are teams excluded from the chance to compete for the national championship because of the conference in which they play.

The NFL playoffs make big money, the NCAA Basketball playoffs make big money, FBS playoffs would make big money and give teams outside the BCS conferences a reason to exist.

MplsBison
April 7th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Any plan that keeps the current BCS conference monopoly on the championship game is no improvement on what we have now.

In no other Division 1 sport are teams excluded from the chance to compete for the national championship because of the conference in which they play.

The NFL playoffs make big money, the NCAA Basketball playoffs make big money, FBS playoffs would make big money and give teams outside the BCS conferences a reason to exist.

When a team from outside the current Pac 12, Big Ten, Big XII, ACC or SEC has earned the right to play for the major league college football championship - they'll get that opportunity.

Hasn't happened yet.

frozennorth
April 7th, 2012, 09:20 PM

in a plus one system, tcu would have played for a title in 2010.

My order of preference:

plus one as outline by mpls

4 team playoff determined by committee, w/ regular bowl season

bowl system, no effort to determine champion

8 team or bigger playoff.

a large playoff i think would be the worst possible outcome.

BlueHenSinfonian
April 7th, 2012, 10:13 PM
When a team from outside the current Pac 12, Big Ten, Big XII, ACC or SEC has earned the right to play for the major league college football championship - they'll get that opportunity.

Hasn't happened yet.

And who determines if they've earned that opportunity? The NCAA Tourny has shown that unlikely teams can make deep runs and even show up in the championship game. The current system is all about exclusion, and that's a problem.

BlueHenSinfonian
April 7th, 2012, 10:14 PM
a large playoff i think would be the worst possible outcome.

Why? Isn't the inclusive playoff systems one of the best things about the FCS? Shouldn't all FBS teams have that same opportunity?

klak
April 7th, 2012, 10:19 PM

Well, that and FCS football. Like it or not, teams from the Pioneer League, Ivy League, and SWAC are excluded from the chance to compete for the national championship because of the conference in which they play.

BlueHenSinfonian
April 7th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Well, that and FCS football. Like it or not, teams from the Pioneer League, Ivy League, and SWAC are excluded from the chance to compete for the national championship because of the conference in which they play.

I agree it's a shame the PFL doesn't get a bid, but they likely will once the playoffs expand. Even now they are eligible for one if they qualify through the bridge AQ.

The SWAC and Ivy exclude themselves from the playoffs. The Ivy puts a post season ban on football. The SWAC schedules three games against the FCS playoffs in violation of the rules - the Bayou Classic, Turkey Day Classic, and SWAC Championship. In both cases it's not the FCS excluding them, it's the conferences making choices that exclude themselves.

MplsBison
April 8th, 2012, 10:03 AM
And who determines if they've earned that opportunity? The NCAA Tourny has shown that unlikely teams can make deep runs and even show up in the championship game. The current system is all about exclusion, and that's a problem.

So Drexel, Washington, etc. weren't excluded from the MBB tournament this year? Come on.

Any tournament will exclude teams unless it's literally an all-inclusive tournament of every team in the division.

At best you're talking about an 8-team playoff in the BCS. That will exclude teams who could win the championship.