PDA

View Full Version : CAA calling out members next Tuesday.

Tribe4SF
April 5th, 2012, 07:57 AM
CAA Presidents will vote next Tuesday to increase the exit fee for all-sport members to between 1 mil and 1.5 mil from the current 250K. This does not impact CAA football schools, as they have a separate constitution, and there is a waver for football members who choose to reclassify to FBS, and stay in the CAA for other sports. Football only members would not impacted at all.

While bloggers, and message board chatter have questioned whether this measure can garner the required 2/3 vote to pass, more informed sources indicate the measure will pass easily. The vote should serve to confirm commitment to the league, and at this point will likely only impact Georgia State. This move has allegedly been led by Wood Selig of ODU over the past year. When tied to the impending two-year payouts of NCAA basketball money (George Mason and VCU final four appearances included), the stakes are pretty high for anyone considering leaving.

whitey
April 5th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I think it will surely pass. VCU and Mason may have been flirting with the A-10 but I bet this passes nearly unanimously with only Georgia State voting no. I can't wait to see the results though. The CAA is going to lose Georgia State who was never a great fit for the conference anyway. The Sunbelt is a much better home for them. The CAA will then add 1-3 schools, imo. Possibly College of Charleston for basketball to keep the league at 12 teams and just stay there. Option B would be Stony Brook for all-sports followed by Coastal Carolina as option C.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 5th, 2012, 10:32 AM
It's brilliant in the sense that this vote acts as a "where do your loyalties lie?" sort-of vote, an attempt to corral the schools with thoughts of the A-10 (Mason, VCU) and the schools with FBS dreams (JMU).

To me, the most interesting part is the fact that Wood Selig of ODU is behind this, which seriously implies that the Monarchs are looking at CAA/FCS membership for the forseeable future.

henfan
April 5th, 2012, 10:42 AM
The result is very likely a fait accompli.

PR 101: you do not publicize a vote if you are not sure of its outcome.

whitey
April 5th, 2012, 11:12 AM
It's brilliant in the sense that this vote acts as a "where do your loyalties lie?" sort-of vote, an attempt to corral the schools with thoughts of the A-10 (Mason, VCU) and the schools with FBS dreams (JMU).

To me, the most interesting part is the fact that Wood Selig of ODU is behind this, which seriously implies that the Monarchs are looking at CAA/FCS membership for the forseeable future.

JMU has a new President starting this next academic year. I'm of the opinion JMU will not make a move to FBS in the short-term because of this. I'd be seriously surprised if one of the first major changes a new President at a college makes is in athletics. I full expect JMU to vote for the increase in exit fees. Eight "yes" votes are needed to pass. Since ODU has been pushing this and JMU likely will vote yes as well then even if Georgia State, VCU and Mason all vote "no" this will pass. My guess is VCU and Mason are on board too. Both schools have a lot of money coming to them due to their NCAA runs and the CAA's NCAA unit sharing system.

bluehenbillk
April 5th, 2012, 02:09 PM
GSU would be smart to formally notify the league they're leaving BEFORE Tuesday.

BlueHenSinfonian
April 5th, 2012, 04:13 PM
GSU would be smart to formally notify the league they're leaving BEFORE Tuesday.

Wouldn't they need a formal invitation first? What happens if they announce they're leaving and then don't get picked up by the Sun Belt?

It will be interesting to see how VCU and Mason vote. It's safe to say anyone voting for this has plans to stay, anyone voting against has one foot out the door.

Tuscon
April 5th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I'm pretty sure the news was sped up regarding Georgia State for this very reason. I'm pretty confident you'll see a formal invitation/acceptance before next Tuesday.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 5th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I mentioned this on another thread, but I am continually amazed at the speed which and the apparent lack of emotion from the CAA over showing Georgia State the door. If they are going to miss the Panthers in any way, it sure doesn't show.

BlueHenSinfonian
April 5th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I mentioned this on another thread, but I am continually amazed at the speed which and the apparent lack of emotion from the CAA over showing Georgia State the door. If they are going to miss the Panthers in any way, it sure doesn't show.

They're a relatively new member that doesn't add much of anything to the conference as it is. Also, while Googling around a bit, I saw that GA State was one of the founding members of the Sun Belt back in '76, so, there you go, they're just returning to their roots.

eaglewraith
April 6th, 2012, 05:25 AM
I'm pretty sure the news was sped up regarding Georgia State for this very reason. I'm pretty confident you'll see a formal invitation/acceptance before next Tuesday.

The problem is, the Sun Belt could interpret that as Georgia State trying to shape what happens and doing it on their terms only. The Sun Belt has no need to rush this. They don't have a stake in whether or not you pay 250k or 1mil. There was only a soft vote, not a vote for an invitation. I wouldn't put the cart before the horse or this could blow up in your face. I'm sure the Presidents of the conference don't want to feel like the new guy is dictating how things go down.

GA St. MBB Fan
April 6th, 2012, 06:31 AM
The problem is, the Sun Belt could interpret that as Georgia State trying to shape what happens and doing it on their terms only. The Sun Belt has no need to rush this. They don't have a stake in whether or not you pay 250k or 1mil. There was only a soft vote, not a vote for an invitation. I wouldn't put the cart before the horse or this could blow up in your face. I'm sure the Presidents of the conference don't want to feel like the new guy is dictating how things go down.

While I'm not sure in this particular case, I've heard that the conference inviting the school usually pays (or pays a portion of) the school's exit fee. So that may be why the Sun Belt has (or is) acting so swiftly. If you are going to invite a team, you might as well do it at a 250k price tag versus a 1M price tag.

superman7515
April 6th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Any word on when the Sun Belt will hold their vote? Tuesday isn't far off.

whitey
April 6th, 2012, 07:06 AM

Basically was BHS said. Georgia State is so new to the conference coupled with their bad/mediocre play they have not been able to establish any rivalries in basketball and football is just starting for them. "We hardly knew thee" sums it up. The only school that might be a little upset at this is UNC-Wilmington but even then Atlanta is still 6 hours/400+ miles away from them. UNC-W is much closer to Richmond than Atlanta.

Tuscon
April 6th, 2012, 08:17 AM
While I agree, the Sun Belt has no real stake in our exit fees, if they are planning on inviting us anyway, it at least gets the relationship off on a really good note. Also, they wouldn't want to hinder us from developing as fast as we might if we paid 250k rather than 1 mil. I'm also pretty sure that news like this doesn't get leaked until it is 99.9% a done deal. In all of the other realignment situations, officials stayed quiet or denied up until the press conference welcoming them into whatever conference.

superman7515
April 6th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Officials have been denying it was as close as reported and Benson has said he won't even be back to Atlanta to continue preliminary conversations until sometime next week, which could very well be after the CAA vote.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-04-03/sun-belt-georgia-state-karl-benson-invitiation-member-caa

Speculation that Georgia State has already been approved as a new member of the Sun Belt Conference is false, league commissioner Karl Benson told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Benson denied a CBSSports.com report that an announcement could be made as soon as Thursday and that presidents of the representative universities voted this week to extend an invitation to the Atlanta-based school.

“No invitations have been extended, no decisions have been made,” Benson told the AJC on Tuesday afternoon. “We have had a continued dialogue.”

MplsBison
April 6th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Why would VCU and GMU vote yes when they're likely going to the A10 with Butler?

Also what happens to the NCAA tournament payouts, do they stay with the CAA or go to the A10?

Tuscon
April 6th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Officials have been denying it was as close as reported and Benson has said he won't even be back to Atlanta to continue preliminary conversations until sometime next week, which could very well be after the CAA vote.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-04-03/sun-belt-georgia-state-karl-benson-invitiation-member-caa

You can doubt it all you want, but, as I said before, the denials will happen until the day we are publicly, officially invited. With the CAA voting on Tuesday, it's looking like this happens on Monday.

Tuscon
April 6th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Why would VCU and GMU vote yes when they're likely going to the A10 with Butler?

Also what happens to the NCAA tournament payouts, do they stay with the CAA or go to the A10?

I think the payouts go to the CAA to divvy out. If you're here when they get passed out, then you get some of the money. I'm pretty sure Georgia State is giving up their share, but the money stays with the CAA..... I think.

whitey
April 6th, 2012, 09:37 AM

First of all, I wouldn't say VCU and GMU are likely to go to the A-10 with Butler just because a blogger on CBSSports says so. It's all just rumors right now. I'm not doubting that they've talked but I am seriously doubting it's anywhere near a done deal.

The NCAA payouts stay with the conference. If VCU and GMU leave the remainder of the CAA will split the NCAA units and associated dollars they have coming to those schools. Not only will they be forced to pay conference exit fees but they'll also lose additional millions of dollars in NCAA tourney revenue. The Richmond Times Dispatch has a good write-up on the amount of money they'd be leaving on the table (http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/apr/05/tdsport01-caa-to-discuss-raising-exit-fee-to-at-le-ar-1819615/).

he NCAA distributes money earned from the NCAA basketball tournament during a six-year cycle (this year's payout is from 2006-11). The CAA divides 60 percent of that revenue equally among its 12 members. The other 40 percent goes into an "excellence pool."

Shares for the excellence pool are earned by winning the regular season; being in the top 100 in Ratings Percentage Index or having a nonconference record better than .500; and for each game won in the NCAA tournament.

"The teams that have earned units, if they withdraw, this becomes a multimillion-dollar decision about leaving," Yeager said. "Both VCU and George Mason have a lot of units in our excellence pool."

VCU, which advanced to the Final Four in 2011, will get a payout of about $820,000 this year, Yeager said. That figure will climb to about $900,000 next year, when the Rams' first-round win in this year's NCAA tournament kicks in. They will earn about $5 million total — more if they earn more shares — through 2017.

George Mason, which advanced to the Final Four in 2006, will get a payout of about $779,000 this year, Yeager said. That drops to about $275,000-$300,000 next year. The Patriots will earn about $2.1 million-$2.2 million — more if they earn more shares — through 2017.

Tribe4SF
April 6th, 2012, 09:37 AM

VCU and GMU are probably not leaving anytime soon. There's been no invitation, and they would forfeit tournament payouts exceeding $1mil each over the next two years, as that money would remain with the CAA. We'll see what Tuesday brings, but VCU and GMU are likely to vote yes.

superman7515
April 6th, 2012, 09:48 AM
You can doubt it all you want, but, as I said before, the denials will happen until the day we are publicly, officially invited. With the CAA voting on Tuesday, it's looking like this happens on Monday.

I'm not doubting the invite will come, I'm just doubting it comes before the vote.

superman7515
April 7th, 2012, 07:43 PM
And I have no problem saying I was wrong. Kudos for someone getting a fire lit under some butts.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-04-07/georgia-state-joining-sun-belt-leaving-caa-bill-curry

Georgia State is headed to the Sun Belt in 2013, with an official announcement coming on Monday in Atlanta, CBSSports.com reported.

The Panthers’ announced move from the Colonial Athletic Association to the Sun Belt will come just one day before the CAA was expected to substantially raise its $250,000 exit fee at least four-fold, CAAHoops.com reported.

MplsBison
April 8th, 2012, 10:24 AM
First of all, I wouldn't say VCU and GMU are likely to go to the A-10 with Butler just because a blogger on CBSSports says so. It's all just rumors right now. I'm not doubting that they've talked but I am seriously doubting it's anywhere near a done deal.

The NCAA payouts stay with the conference. If VCU and GMU leave the remainder of the CAA will split the NCAA units and associated dollars they have coming to those schools. Not only will they be forced to pay conference exit fees but they'll also lose additional millions of dollars in NCAA tourney revenue. The Richmond Times Dispatch has a good write-up on the amount of money they'd be leaving on the table (http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/apr/05/tdsport01-caa-to-discuss-raising-exit-fee-to-at-le-ar-1819615/).

Thanks for the info. It does make for a compelling reason to say.

I wonder how much would each school get in moving to the A10, which obviously has some playoff payouts of their own.

Tuscon
April 8th, 2012, 12:06 PM
And I have no problem saying I was wrong. Kudos for someone getting a fire lit under some butts.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-04-07/georgia-state-joining-sun-belt-leaving-caa-bill-curry

I'm glad the Sun Belt is accommodating us in this. It's already a strong sign of a good relationship between us and our conference.

whitey
April 9th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I'm glad the Sun Belt is accommodating us in this. It's already a strong sign of a good relationship between us and our conference.

Agreed. Additionally, we can look at what happened here and basically determine that GMU and VCU to the A-10 rumors were just that, rumors. If the A-10 and those schools were serious they'd both be getting invites today as well. Mason and VCU are staying in the CAA for awhile. The CAA exit fee vote is going to pass unanimously tomorrow.

Now the only unknown is who the CAA goes after to replace Georgia State. At a minimum the CAA is going to have to add a basketball school to get the conference back to an even number of basketball teams (12). After this season they'll have 9 football members so adding a football school is not necessarily the top priority. I wouldn't put it past the CAA to actually add more than one school at this point. Maybe the CAA adds 3 more programs to the basketball side (14 total) and 3 more to the football side (12 total). Although that could be more of a medium-term plan. Immediately the CAA is going to have to add one program though prior to the 2013-2014 season for basketball scheduling purposes.

The likely candidates:
- Stony Brook
- College of Charleston (no football)
- Coastal Carolina
- UNC-Charlotte (perhaps the CAA relents on it's all-sports mandate to shore up football #s?)

Saint3333
April 9th, 2012, 08:00 AM
The CAA should wait to see what the shake out is with ASU and FBS conferences, given the current schedule the CAA could wait a year to add someone so no need to act now. If ASU doesn't get an invite or turns down an invite (revenues must be there to support a move) they may be interested in leaving the SoCon for the CAA.

CollegeSportsInfo
April 9th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I think for VCU and GMU, it comes down to this:

Both schools want to join the A10. And why not, when they can finish 2-3 in the conference with a handful of losses, and get an at-large bid. In the CAA, it's a rarity for an at-large (look at Drexel...won the CAA, best record, lost in final and were sent to the NIT...despite all the CAA fans feeling that the GMU and VCU runs in the past would open up doors to locks as at-large bids).

But due to the payout schedule for the NCAA shares, it's A LOT of money they'd have to leave behind, that would take 5-10 years (depending on A10 schools runs in the tourney) to make up. Yes, long term, both schools would likely make the money back they'd have to forfeit. But there is always the risk that more A10 schools could leave if the mythical Big East split ever happened (despite all signs based on 5 new all-sports schools joining, 3 FB only ones as well)...whereby the A10 could take a hit in stature.

I'd guess that with the additional $1 million on top of the forfeiture of shares, might be enough to keep VCU and GMU in the CAA. They just need to hope that JMU, ODU and UD stay put and NEVER consider upgrading to FBS.

Apphole
April 9th, 2012, 08:40 AM
The CAA should wait to see what the shake out is with ASU and FBS conferences, given the current schedule the CAA could wait a year to add someone so no need to act now. If ASU doesn't get an invite or turns down an invite (revenues must be there to support a move) they may be interested in leaving the SoCon for the CAA.

I feel like there must be some talk about the CAA turning FBS eventually to fully get this administration on board. Increasing travel and difficulty of making the playoffs as well as abandoning old rivalries won't go over well to some people if it's only to stay FCS. Advantages would be better basketball (and better sports overall), NCAA tourney money, MUCH better TV package ect.

I'd vote yes if it were up to me, even if there's no immediate guarantee of a conference FBS move. I would sure hope there is one though.

asumike83
April 9th, 2012, 09:33 AM
I feel like there must be some talk about the CAA turning FBS eventually to fully get this administration on board. Increasing travel and difficulty of making the playoffs as well as abandoning old rivalries won't go over well to some people if it's only to stay FCS. Advantages would be better basketball (and better sports overall), NCAA tourney money, MUCH better TV package ect.

I'd vote yes if it were up to me, even if there's no immediate guarantee of a conference FBS move. I would sure hope there is one though.

Maybe (hopefully) I am just a stick in the mud on this, but I still think it is very unlikely that an existing FCS conference reclassifies as FBS or a new, regional FBS conference is created with App, ODU, JMU, Delaware, GSU, etc. It would require a firm financial commitment from at least 8 institutions to challenge the NCAA rule and then there is the matter of the ruling going in their favor.

For that reason, I think App moving to the CAA is not going to happen. The impending increase of the exit fee makes it even less likely. There are obvious advantages, such as higher quality basketball and a better TV deal. However, there are also some serious disadvantages, primarily travel. With all the talk by our administration of containing travel costs even with regard to FBS conferences, I do not see them joining a conference that stretches from Maine to North Carolina while maintaining FCS status for football. Plus, although I highly doubt it would factor into our decision much if at all, SoCon baseball is stronger than the CAA.

Sly Fox
April 9th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Let's be honest, if a $1M exit fee is a consideration whether to step up to the FBS level then that school has no business stepping up. I seriously doubt that JMU or ODU is worried about that exit fee if they really had an FBS option available. That is just a cost of making the move.

OTOH, it would be a significant factor for schools like GMU & VCU. And if the league does find a way to step up to FBS football, it could impact whether W&M might consider a full-scale move to the Patriot League.

DFW HOYA
April 9th, 2012, 10:15 AM
W&M is not considering the Patriot League. Ask Richmond about what happened the last time their president proposed doing such a thing.

RichH2
April 9th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Have my own doubts about W&M but school was a charter member left only because of no scholarships.Not the case anymore. Would not necessarily be viewed as a stepdown now.

jmufan
April 9th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Let's be honest, if a $1M exit fee is a consideration whether to step up to the FBS level then that school has no business stepping up. I seriously doubt that JMU or ODU is worried about that exit fee if they really had an FBS option available. That is just a cost of making the move.

OTOH, it would be a significant factor for schools like GMU & VCU. And if the league does find a way to step up to FBS football, it could impact whether W&M might consider a full-scale move to the Patriot League.

What does everyone think of this quote from Yeager?

Georgia State's withdrawal from the CAA and CAA Football is predicated on the university's desire to reclassify to FBS football which requires membership in an FBS league. We've been aware that GSU was having discussions with the Sun Belt Conference as the CAA could not accommodate that desire within GSU's timeframe.

asumike83
April 9th, 2012, 04:48 PM
What does everyone think of this quote from Yeager?

Very interesting... saying that they could not accommodate GSU's desire to be FBS "within their timeframe" certainly implies that the CAA may be seeking reclassification as a conference in the future. Still not sure how realistic it is with all the red tape that would be required but that would certainly change a lot of things.

jmufan
April 9th, 2012, 04:54 PM
On the exit fee, CAA Football is not considering or is voting on an increase in exit fees. The fees are only applied to the main CAA. The vote will more than likely be voted in unanimously. I do find Yeager's comments intriguing and I could see why JMU and ODU are not actively pressing the FBS issue to other conferences. It tells them that they want to try and see if they can get the CAA to FBS before jumping ship. But that is just my .02 cents.

asumike83
April 9th, 2012, 04:58 PM
On the exit fee, CAA Football is not considering or is voting on an increase in exit fees. The fees are only applied to the main CAA. The vote will more than likely be voted in unanimously. I do find Yeager's comments intriguing and I could see why JMU and ODU are not actively pressing the FBS issue to other conferences. It tells them that they want to try and see if they can get the CAA to FBS before jumping ship. But that is just my .02 cents.

As skeptical as I am about the NCAA permitting it, I sure would love for it to happen. If so, I hope there is room for some black and gold onboard that vessel!

Go...gate
April 9th, 2012, 11:23 PM

Never going to happen. Ever.

Tribe4SF
April 10th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Have my own doubts about W&M but school was a charter member left only because of no scholarships.Not the case anymore. Would not necessarily be viewed as a stepdown now.

Yes it would be viewed that way.

whitey
April 10th, 2012, 09:43 AM
In a shocking development, today's vote has been POSTPONED to a yet, unspecified date. They could not reach quorum of university Presidents. Last minute scheduling issues or extremely bad news for the CAA?

RichH2
April 10th, 2012, 09:48 AM
In a shocking development, today's vote has been POSTPONED to a yet, unspecified date. Extremely bad news for the CAA.

Iwouldassume back channel conversations are continuing therefore delay necessary. Agree not a real good sign, key is who pushed for delay?

T-Dog
April 10th, 2012, 09:49 AM
The CAA is in big trouble.

whitey
April 10th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Iwouldassume back channel conversations are continuing therefore delay necessary. Agree not a real good sign, key is who pushed for delay?

No word as of yet. Supposedly ODU was pushing this from the get-go and apparently VCU was full on board. Perhaps something changed over the weekend with VCU and George Mason.....

Apphole
April 10th, 2012, 09:54 AM
What exactly are the implications of this delay? A lot of doomsday talk for such an ambiguous turn of events. Do some of you think VCU and Mason are bailing as well and the withdraw fee increase won't go through?

whitey
April 10th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Best Case: The vote scheduled today was obviously scheduled to make sure Georgia State either shat or got off the pot. It's possible they delayed the vote because with Georgia State's invite and announcement yesterday they don't really need to have the vote until June now prior to the NCAA tourney share distribution. So no rush. Of course this gives plenty of schools the chance to discuss options with other leagues in the meantime.

Worst Case: George Mason and VCU to the A-10 talks heated up over the weekend.

T-Dog
April 10th, 2012, 10:01 AM
What exactly are the implications of this delay? A lot of doomsday talk for such an ambiguous turn of events. Do some of you think VCU and Mason are bailing as well and the withdraw fee increase won't go through?

It would take more than VCU and Mason to delay the vote and word was that VCU was on board with the vote.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 10th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I think the purpose of the vote was to shove Georgia State out the door. Once they left with their personal belongings, there was no need for a loyalty vote, so why go through the exercise?

RichH2
April 10th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I think the purpose of the vote was to shove Georgia State out the door. Once they left with their personal belongings, there was no need for a loyalty vote, so why go through the exercise?

Good point but leaves open real issues with ODU and VCU. Wasn'tpart of exit fee also to keep them inplace?

NHwildEcat
April 10th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Very interesting... saying that they could not accommodate GSU's desire to be FBS "within their timeframe" certainly implies that the CAA may be seeking reclassification as a conference in the future. Still not sure how realistic it is with all the red tape that would be required but that would certainly change a lot of things.

If the CAA were to move up, UNH & Maine would be looking for new homes...it would be something that would lead to a chain reaction that could lead to a new northeastern conference...yes I am talking about you UAlbany and SBU.

MplsBison
April 10th, 2012, 12:11 PM

The AI is still an anti-competitive policy. So in that sense it would still be a step down.

W&M knows well enough that having 85 football players on campus who aren't smart enough to get into the school without football doesn't have a single iota of negative impact to their academic reputation.

MplsBison
April 10th, 2012, 12:15 PM
If the CAA were to move up, UNH & Maine would be looking for new homes...it would be something that would lead to a chain reaction that could lead to a new northeastern conference...yes I am talking about you UAlbany and SBU.

Would administration duties shift from the CAA to America East, then?

Restart football at Boston U and Vermont?

MplsBison
April 10th, 2012, 12:17 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/ColonialAthleticAssociationLocations.png/300px-ColonialAthleticAssociationLocations.png

I wonder if NE & Hofstra (American East?) and Wilmington (Big South? A-Sun?) are looking for other options?

whitey
April 10th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Hofstra has been dreaming of an A-10 invite for years. They'll continue to dream. I doubt they take their basketball program a step backwards and go running back to the America East. Same with Northeastern. My guess is both will lobby for a new northern school. UNC-W will lobby for a southern school. Perhaps a compromise can be reached and the CAA will wind up adding 3 new schools to keep the basketball #s even.

MplsBison
April 10th, 2012, 12:39 PM
That may be so, but how is Fordham in the A10 while Hofstra has no chance?

Fordham's arena is rinky-dink.

NHwildEcat
April 10th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Would administration duties shift from the CAA to America East, then?

You never know. If the CAA did something like this, I am sure AE talks would be fired up. BU and Vermont both have club teams, so who knows. BU is and always will be the problem for football in the AE conference. But that doesn't mean they couldn't add some schools from outside of the current 9 team formula. And Northeastern has stadium issues...unless they might consider playing outside of Boston in nearby Somerville when they build the New England Revolution stadium (hopefully).

Current schools w/ football:
UNH
Maine
SBU
Albany

Others who have some history:
BU (if they stop being an ***)
Northeastern (if a new stadiunm situation arises)
Vermont (if they pick it up)

Possible outside members to fill in:
Central CT State
Possible move up by a D2 Northeast-10 program.

I really don't know who else might or could be interested in AE. I would assume they would want full membership schools to help expand the rest of the confernce. 9 teams is small and can lead to issues if someone left like a BU.

I just want to keep playing Maine yearly...that is my biggest requirement.

rufus
April 10th, 2012, 12:53 PM
You never know. If the CAA did something like this, I am sure AE talks would be fired up. BU and Vermont both have club teams, so who knows. BU is and always will be the problem for football in the AE conference. But that doesn't mean they couldn't add some schools from outside of the current 9 team formula. And Northeastern has stadium issues...unless they might consider playing outside of Boston in nearby Somerville when they build the New England Revolution stadium (hopefully).

Current schools w/ football:
UNH
Maine
SBU
Albany

Others who have some history:
BU (if they stop being an ***)
Northeastern (if a new stadiunm situation arises)
Vermont (if they pick it up)

Possible outside members to fill in:
Central CT State
Possible move up by a D2 Northeast-10 program.

I really don't know who else might or could be interested in AE. I would assume they would want full membership schools to help expand the rest of the confernce. 9 teams is small and can lead to issues if someone left like a BU.

I just want to keep playing Maine yearly...that is my biggest requirement.

Towson would need a home as well. They are a little far south, but they could work in a northeast conference. Also, maybe URI would consider bringing back full-scholarship football at some point if this conference were an option.

NHwildEcat
April 10th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Towson would need a home as well. They are a little far south, but they could work in a northeast conference. Also, maybe URI would consider bringing back full-scholarship football at some point if this conference were an option.

URI would only consider that if they could maintain a low number of scholly's...

JMUDuke2002
April 10th, 2012, 03:18 PM

Fordham's arena is rinky-dink.

Because it is a former Jesuit school that has a lot in common with St. Joes, Xavier, and the other Catholic or former Catholic schools. Hofstra? Not so much.

rufus
April 10th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Supposedly on the Georgia Southern board, someone stated that JMU and ODU were NOT at the conference meeting today. Anyone know if that is true?

First of all, I would be hesitant to trust the source. Do you find it odd that a GSU fan would know something like this that no JMU or ODU fans seem to know?

Also, even if it's true, it really means nothing. A school may decide not to to show up rather than cast a "no" vote, or a school may support the resolution but realize that the "yes" votes are not there and not show up to prevent a "no" vote from occurring.

jmufan
April 10th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I actually deleted the post because I realized that it wasn't talking about today's meeting but a different meeting all together.

DFW HOYA
April 10th, 2012, 04:40 PM

The same reason Seton Hall is in the Big East or Wake Forest is in the ACC--they got there first.

rufus
April 10th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Per Mark Selig (Harrisonburg newspaper reporter):

JMU athletic director Jeff Bourne said he and President Linwood Rose have not made a decision on how they'll vote on CAA exit fee hike.
No big news, but it certainly implies that JMU was one of the no-shows today. Hard to vote if you haven't made a decision.

whitey
April 10th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Should also add that JMU has a Board of Visitors meeting on Friday. So it's possible Rose will wait to talk it over with the BOV before making a decision.

GA St. MBB Fan
April 11th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Best Case: The vote scheduled today was obviously scheduled to make sure Georgia State either shat or got off the pot. It's possible they delayed the vote because with Georgia State's invite and announcement yesterday they don't really need to have the vote until June now prior to the NCAA tourney share distribution.

I don't really buy this rationale because in a sense Georgia State's hand was already "forced" by the NCAA. The NCAA requires a school to have an invite and the paperwork turned in by June 1 (although I've also heard May 25) in order for the school to begin FBS football for the 2013 season. So seeing that Georgia State would have withdrawn from the CAA before the NCAA distribution anyway, what would have made the difference between Georgia State announcing Monday versus in mid-May? None of this would have stopped the CAA from courting possible replacements for Georgia State now, so they would have been invited by July 1 (in order to give a year's notice to be able to play in the CAA beginning in 2013).

It really seems to me this vote was put together and rushed by Yeager, and it fizzled at the last moment.

ccd494
April 12th, 2012, 10:01 PM

You don't really understand how college athletics programs operate in New England, do you?

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2012, 10:04 PM
You don't really understand how college athletics programs operate in New England, do you?

It is not limited to New England.

MplsBison
April 13th, 2012, 09:13 AM

I didn't realize geography was the sole reason Vermont does not have a team but New Hampshire does. Interesting.

Dane96
April 13th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Have you looked at UNH's roster?!

NHwildEcat
April 14th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I didn't realize geography was the sole reason Vermont does not have a team but New Hampshire does. Interesting.

Vermont is a really small state....UNH has more resources then they do. BU has no excuse besides lack of effort/caring.

BucBisonAtLarge
April 15th, 2012, 03:20 AM

Let's restate this, not in the form of a question--"You don't really understand how college athletics programs operate in New England."

bluehenbillk
April 20th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Twitter blowing up - reports that VCU & George Mason announcing on or before May 1 leaving the CAA for the A-10. Butler may move as well. NY Post cited as source.

Tuscon
April 20th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Twitter blowing up - reports that VCU & George Mason announcing on or before May 1 leaving the CAA for the A-10. Butler may move as well. NY Post cited as source.

Seems to back up the claim that Tuesday's vote was backed out of due to lack of support.

Tuscon
April 20th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Seems to back up the claim that Tuesday's vote was backed out of due to lack of support.

Also, maybe Sun Belt is not such a drop in Basketball.

whitey
April 20th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Everyone and their mother seems to be denying it. We shall see....

henfan
April 20th, 2012, 01:32 PM

Oops, BCU & GMU would leave a lot of NCAA MBB tournament money on the table if they split before July. That's a win-win for UD. Shed two MBB programs ahead of them in the conference standings plus two ADs who can't muster the ducks to sponsor D-I FB. It gives the opportunity to bring in two schools more like UD, which is a big positive.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 20th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Apparently an authority no greater than Mason AD Tom O'Connor is saying that it's not true, it's just rumor. (on Twitter)

A good summary of the action:

http://georgemasonbasketball.blogspot.com/2012/04/george-mason-and-vcu-to-a10-on-may-1.html

dbackjon
April 20th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Also, maybe Sun Belt is not such a drop in Basketball.

No, the SunBelt is still a drop in basketball. Conference Champ has been in two straight play-in games (along with the Southland and the SWAC)

CAA has never been in the 16 seed play in game.

No FBS conference other than the SunBelt has been in the 16 seed play-in game even once.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 20th, 2012, 03:54 PM
No, the SunBelt is still a drop in basketball. Conference Champ has been in two straight play-in games (along with the Southland and the SWAC)

CAA has never been in the play in game.

No FBS conference other than the SunBelt has been in the play-in game even once.

VCU did play USC in an opening round game last year. No sure if you were just talking about the 16 seed play-in since there's now 12, 13 and 14 seed play-ins.

Tim James
April 20th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Well if they are both gone then its a perfect opportunity to bring in some northeastern members to make UNH and Maine happy. Stony Brook, Albany, and Coastal Carolina to replace Mason, VCU, and Georgia Southern. Bring it on !

Tuscon
April 20th, 2012, 04:27 PM

CAA has never been in the play in game.

No FBS conference other than the SunBelt has been in the play-in game even once.

Not SUCH a drop. VCU and George Mason are a majority of the power that the CAA has in basketball. If they leave, Drexel has it made.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 20th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Well if they are both gone then its a perfect opportunity to bring in some northeastern members to make UNH and Maine happy. Stony Brook, Albany, and Coastal Carolina to replace Mason, VCU, and Georgia Southern. Bring it on !

Not a mistake you probably want to make Tim.:D

Tuscon
April 20th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I lol'd

dbackjon
April 20th, 2012, 06:28 PM
VCU did play USC in an opening round game last year. No sure if you were just talking about the 16 seed play-in since there's now 12, 13 and 14 seed play-ins.

Yes, 16 seed play in game