PDA

View Full Version : Five Coolest Stadiums... You've Never Heard of

KNUTS
April 4th, 2012, 01:38 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1127937-the-five-coolest-college-sports-stadiums-youve-never-heard-of?fb_ref=article_bottom&fb_source=home_oneline#/articles/1127937-the-five-coolest-college-sports-stadiums-youve-never-heard-of

I know that we brag about our stadium every chance we get, but after seeing the Top 10 indoor stadiums I had to post this. This even made the local news channels. There are a couple of appearances from some other FCS schools also.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 4th, 2012, 01:55 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1127937-the-five-coolest-college-sports-stadiums-youve-never-heard-of?fb_ref=article_bottom&fb_source=home_oneline#/articles/1127937-the-five-coolest-college-sports-stadiums-youve-never-heard-of

I know that we brag about our stadium every chance we get, but after seeing the Top 10 indoor stadiums I had to post this. This even made the local news channels. There are a couple of appearances from some other FCS schools also.

Finally got around to posting it huh? I didn't want to steal your thunder again but good god man waiting 4 or 5 days?!

asumike83
April 4th, 2012, 02:02 PM
KBS and WaGriz represented... nice! Is it September 8 yet?

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Clearly the 2 coolest stadiums in the FCS aka the subdivision "You've never heard of"

MorgantonAPPAlum
April 4th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Since the list included LSU's baseball stadium (very cool), I nominate Pioneer Park at Tusculum College in Greeneville, TN.
http://www.ballparkreviews.com/greeneville/greeneville.jpg
http://www.ballparkreviews.com/greeneville/greeneville3.jpg
http://www.ballparkreviews.com/greeneville/greeneville5.jpg

It's not really a typical college baseball stadium since the Greeneville Astros (Appalachian League) play there in short-season rookie ball, but it is a great venue for a division II school. What you can't appreciate from the pictures is the view you get of the mountains from there. You are looking at the Great Smokies side of the Appalachians from campus-very pretty.

eaglewraith
April 4th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Bleacher Report.....

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Bleacher Report.....

I respect your program a ton, but comon'n man! Did you really expect that pancake stadium in Stinkboro to make any such list?!

klak
April 4th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I respect your program a ton, but comon'n man! Did you really expect that pancake stadium in Stinkboro to make any such list?!

#1, You've never been to Statesboro, so......
#2, brb, going to write a Bleacher Report article declaring Georgia Southern the most awesomest team in college football.

darell1976
April 4th, 2012, 03:02 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1127937-the-five-coolest-college-sports-stadiums-youve-never-heard-of?fb_ref=article_bottom&fb_source=home_oneline#/articles/1127937-the-five-coolest-college-sports-stadiums-youve-never-heard-of/page/3xthumbsupx

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 03:07 PM
#1, You've never been to Statesboro, so......
#2, brb, going to write a Bleacher Report article declaring Georgia Southern the most awesomest team in college football.

Touche (Going this year hopefully) BUT...
1) It's nestled in a smelly, gnat-infested swamp. There isn't anything aesthetically pleasing to behold for miles as opposed to the picturesque settings of Boone and Missoula.
2) The gradient of the stands is like 10 degrees. They need to renovate desperately, and their fans will be the first one to tell you.

Again, GaSo is my favorite SoCon team besides App, but there's no way their stadium could be included in a list of really cool, obscure stadiums.

BEAR
April 4th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Former UCA Bear Michael Norvell, now coaching at Arizona State announced a renovation to Sun Devil Stadium. $300 million worth. xeyebrowx

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/531255_925452978201_55003800_37480963_488153720_n. jpg

klak
April 4th, 2012, 03:12 PM
1) It's nestled in a smelly, gnat-infested swamp. There isn't anything aesthetically pleasing to behold for miles as opposed to the picturesque settings of Boone and Missoula.
2) The gradient of the stands is like 10 degrees. They need to renovate desperately, and their fans will be the first one to tell you.

Again, GaSo is my favorite SoCon team besides App, but there's no way their stadium could be included in a list of really cool, obscure stadiums.

1) Gnats, yes. Smelly, no. Swamp, no. As far as aesthetically pleasing, no, it's not in the mountains, but I thought we were going to watch a football game.
2) I don't think so, Tim. We need to EXPAND. We need to replace the press box. We do not need to change the grade of the stands.

Please come down this fall. I'll even give you somewhere to tailgate. You might be surprised with what you find.

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 03:15 PM
1) Gnats, yes. Smelly, no. Swamp, no. As far as aesthetically pleasing, no, it's not in the mountains, but I thought we were going to watch a football game.
2) I don't think so, Tim. We need to EXPAND. We need to replace the press box. We do not need to change the grade of the stands.

Please come down this fall. I'll even give you somewhere to tailgate. You might be surprised with what you find.

I will try my best. And I won't be surprised. I expect a rowdy *** venue and some crazy fans: my forte. I just hope we don't get too many beer cans thrown my way because of my App garb. I'm sure some of your fans are still a little soar from that game last year xsmiley_wix

klak
April 4th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I will try my best. And I won't be surprised. I expect a rowdy *** venue and some crazy fans: my forte. I just hope we don't get too many beer cans thrown my way because of my App garb. I'm sure some of your fans are still a little soar from that game last year xsmiley_wix

Why, did you throw beer cans at them?

tractorapp
April 4th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I agree, I've order my 2012 season tickets and can't wait to watch the Apps and Griz tangle this year in Boone. Already thinking about the trip out west in '13 to go to the game out there and spend a week or so touring around Montana, Idaho and eastern Washington.

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Why, did you throw beer cans at them?

Nah. The worst thing I did on Black Saturday was say, "Long drive back to Stinkboro." On the walk out of the stadium to some GaSo fans. In retrospect, I see it was a pretty douchey thing to do (I was drunk on stiff drink and a glorious field rush). One of them responded, "At least we don't have to stay here!!" Which really confused me, considering thousands of Floridians flock to the area every year for scenic beauty ect.

TheRevSFA
April 4th, 2012, 03:34 PM
What? No UCA Holiday Inn curtain turf?

Shenanigans!

BEAR
April 4th, 2012, 04:20 PM
What? No UCA Holiday Inn curtain turf?

Shenanigans!

xlolx xlolx

grayghost06
April 4th, 2012, 05:04 PM

From what I have seen in person, the grade of the stands at Paulson seems very similar to the grade of the lower deck at KBS. I would imagine if Appy ever renovates/ expands by taking out the track, they would also include new lower bleachers at a steeper grade for better sight lines.

eaglewraith
April 4th, 2012, 05:25 PM

Me and klak tailgate together, come join us. We'll keep you safe. Well...as long as we win. ;)

Also, by criticizing the Bleacher Report I wasn't saying that we should be on it, my intention was that it doesn't mean anything. I get the same way when people on our board go berserk over an article from there. It means nothing.

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Me and klak tailgate together, come join us. We'll keep you safe. Well...as long as we win. ;)

Also, by criticizing the Bleacher Report I wasn't saying that we should be on it, my intention was that it doesn't mean anything. I get the same way when people on our board go berserk over an article from there. It means nothing.

But it's on the internetz!!!?!!

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 06:10 PM
From what I have seen in person, the grade of the stands at Paulson seems very similar to the grade of the lower deck at KBS. I would imagine if Appy ever renovates/ expands by taking out the track, they would also include new lower bleachers at a steeper grade for better sight lines.

True, but KBS has an upper deck on both sides that steepens dramatically. And by the looks of the rendering of the upcoming enhancements, there's going to be a third deck on the "State!" side and the endzone seating will be pretty steep. Check my sig

grayghost06
April 4th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Is that a for real renedering or someone playing with photoshop? If that's something ASU is seriously considering, I would imagine 30k in permanent seats plus the hill endzone seating. Be kind of a smaller version of Texas A&M. Now get rid of the track and add another 5-7k as you build down.

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Is that a for real renedering or someone playing with photoshop? If that's something ASU is seriously considering, I would imagine 30k in permanent seats plus the hill endzone seating. Be kind of a smaller versiom of Texas A&M. Now get rid of the track and add another 5-7k as you build down.

The track is there only because they used an existing picture of KBS to build from. I'm sure, with a large permanent structure on top, that is won't be there once the enhancements are made.

asumike83
April 4th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Is that a for real renedering or someone playing with photoshop? If that's something ASU is seriously considering, I would imagine 30k in permanent seats plus the hill endzone seating. Be kind of a smaller versiom of Texas A&M. Now get rid of the track and add another 5-7k as you build down.

That rendering is actually on the cover of the feasibility report. The picture is bigger and a bit better quality:
http://www.goasu.com/pdf8/805466.pdf

Not sure what the plan is for the track exactly, but I cannot wait for it to be removed. The stadium will look much better and we have an excellent track program that deserves their own facility. I believe you are spot on with the estimated capacity, I remember hearing that would put us right at 30K.

cbarrier90
April 4th, 2012, 08:55 PM
brb, going to write a Bleacher Report article declaring Georgia Southern the most awesomest team in college football.

xlolx