PDA

View Full Version : RIchmond to D3?

bjtheflamesfan
March 31st, 2012, 01:59 PM
So I was out covering a crew meet today for my job (started as a news writer a few weeks ago so not much time to get on here) and I was talking to a fellow who said that Richmond is considering dropping to NCAA Division 3 status. Anybody (especially Spider fans) know anything?

Dane96
March 31st, 2012, 02:03 PM
NM

Dane96
March 31st, 2012, 02:03 PM
I seriously doubt that.

I am considering becoming a millionaire.

heath
March 31st, 2012, 03:49 PM
If so they should have stayed in City Stadium,with the new place it does not make any sense

ngineer
March 31st, 2012, 03:52 PM
Totally bogus imo.

NHwildEcat
March 31st, 2012, 03:55 PM
I seriously doubt that.

I am considering becoming a millionaire.

Congrats Dane!

Libertine
March 31st, 2012, 04:02 PM
Oh, BJ.

bjtheflamesfan
March 31st, 2012, 04:18 PM
Libertine, it smacked of something pretty unbelievable so I thought Id ask up here because I figure the posters familiar with them would know better

ursus arctos horribilis
March 31st, 2012, 04:23 PM
Libertine, it smacked of something pretty unbelievable so I thought Id ask up here because I figure the posters familiar with them would know better

Good call. A lot of smart fella's here that know tidbits of things that can help ya formulate a good discussion if this is someone you think would be in the know on the matter and see why are they are saying it.

Sounds implausible to me as well but I don't know much about the inner working of the thinking or budget at Richmond so I'm just gonna read and learn with ya.xthumbsupx

Thanks for taking the bullets on it though.:D

bostonspider
March 31st, 2012, 06:05 PM
It is a joke started by the fans at JMU. They think that because our stadium has been sized for both the numbers of our student body and to get it built in the neighborhood then it means UR is dropping football down to DIII which is not even allowed if your other sports are DI. Money is rarely an issue at Richmond considering the athletic department has a $150 million endowment, and the university has a $2 billion endowment.

bjtheflamesfan
March 31st, 2012, 07:45 PM
I thought so. when he mentioned it (Danny Rocco also factored into his comments), my first thought was the same bostonspider, so I thought Id pick some brains around here because you guys are some of the best informed posters on this level that I know of.

citdog
March 31st, 2012, 07:46 PM
So I was out covering a crew meet today for my job (started as a news writer a few weeks ago so not much time to get on here) and I was talking to a fellow who said that Richmond is considering dropping to NCAA Division 3 status. Anybody (especially Spider fans) know anything?

http://www.sabinabecker.com/images/corner-dumbass.jpg

spdram
March 31st, 2012, 08:29 PM
Richmond would drop the program before going D-3. In order to do so we would have to go D-3 in all sports -- there would be a total mutiny if administration even hinted at such. A running battle between Richmond fans and JMU fans is the source of this. They like to talk about our $25MM D-3 stadium and we give them grief about their Tin Can. BTW former HC from Richmond, Latrell Scott (had to resign) is now being considered for a job on the JMU staff. In spite of the issues with JMU and the shambles caused to our program when Scott resigned (DUI conviction, after a "warning and condition" placed in his contract) most Richmond fans seem to hope he gets the job and wish him well. So it's not all hatred.

ngineer
March 31st, 2012, 11:13 PM
It is a joke started by the fans at JMU. They think that because our stadium has been sized for both the numbers of our student body and to get it built in the neighborhood then it means UR is dropping football down to DIII which is not even allowed if your other sports are DI. Money is rarely an issue at Richmond considering the athletic department has a $150 million endowment, and the university has a $2 billion endowment.

Typical. Big aint necessarily better.

whitey
April 1st, 2012, 11:23 AM
It is a joke started by the fans at JMU.

Hahahahahaha. This thread is hilarious.

jmufan
April 1st, 2012, 12:11 PM
Hurry cue FrontRoyalSpider!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

jmufan999
April 1st, 2012, 12:23 PM
Right, it's a joke.

Or is it?

carney2
April 1st, 2012, 12:41 PM

"Today" being April 1st...

jmufan
April 1st, 2012, 02:44 PM
WE all know that Richmond is headed to D3, the red vested spider fan told me so earlier today. This spider fan, who had talked to Jim Miller, the athletic director at Richmond stated that going D3 would be a sure thing in the next 2 to 3 years. He cited that the reason they built their tiny stadium was because they wanted to deemphasize their football program in hopes that the basketball program would win a game or two. The source also stated that they were quite hopeful the ODAC would invite them into their conference--he seemed excited to know that they could have a good relationship with the other schools there and hoped that by doing this it would save their football program from further deemphasis.

I would encourage spider nation to write to Jim Miller thanking him for saving their football program by playing D3 football. I am sure he will be quite pleased to hear all of the support from his red vested friends.

32counter
April 1st, 2012, 04:25 PM
UR will move to D-3 once JMU constructs its 1st on campus library instead of using the Harrisonburg Public Library.Too many pages been ripped out of them books and the townies are real upset at all them purple visitors with purple toothpicks around semester test times.

Seawolf97
April 2nd, 2012, 09:43 AM
Lets see FCS football power recently National Champ, very strong mid major basketball power, above average in other sports . Seems only logical they would drop to D3 .

Doc QB
April 2nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
UR will move to D-3 once JMU constructs its 1st on campus library instead of using the Harrisonburg Public Library.Too many pages been ripped out of them books and the townies are real upset at all them purple visitors with purple toothpicks around semester test times.

Were all of those pages that were ripped out colored yet?

PaladinFan
April 2nd, 2012, 10:32 AM
In all seriousness, this was a rumor floated around Furman not long ago as well, except pertaining to Furman. Some university presidents see the money spent on D-1 athletics as a waste of resources that could otherwise contribute to the university. No one goes to Richmond or Furman (two similar universities) because of their football program (outside of athletes, I suppose), even though both programs have a stellar history.

Frankly, football programs, while they make the most money, also spend the most. I'm not saying it is true in the case of Richmond, but it's not beyond comprehension to think university admin at a smaller academics-focused university would subscribe more to the Davidson-model. Strong athletics in a sport that sucks up less capital (basketball), put the football program to non-scholarship status (think about how much it costs a school like Furman and Richmond to fund a 65 man team at 40-50k a year), and use that money to fund other initiatives.

It may be a joke, but if you think colleges aren't toying around with this idea, you're mistaken. The economy is tough on everyone, particuarly on private institutions.

carney2
April 2nd, 2012, 03:22 PM
Were all of those pages that were ripped out colored yet?

Hey, Doc,

I went to my local liquor store (actually, State Store as you well know) to buy my first bottle of the highly recommended Blanton's. I left to get an application for a second mortgage. Yoiks! Someday soon however, I will muster the nerve and brush aside my wife's objections to plunk down the outrageous funds required to acquire this ambrosia. How can I call myself a bourbon lover and not have had "the best."

carney2
April 2nd, 2012, 03:25 PM
In all seriousness, this was a rumor floated around Furman not long ago as well, except pertaining to Furman. Some university presidents see the money spent on D-1 athletics as a waste of resources that could otherwise contribute to the university. No one goes to Richmond or Furman (two similar universities) because of their football program (outside of athletes, I suppose), even though both programs have a stellar history.

Frankly, football programs, while they make the most money, also spend the most. I'm not saying it is true in the case of Richmond, but it's not beyond comprehension to think university admin at a smaller academics-focused university would subscribe more to the Davidson-model. Strong athletics in a sport that sucks up less capital (basketball), put the football program to non-scholarship status (think about how much it costs a school like Furman and Richmond to fund a 65 man team at 40-50k a year), and use that money to fund other initiatives.

It may be a joke, but if you think colleges aren't toying around with this idea, you're mistaken. The economy is tough on everyone, particuarly on private institutions.

I have had conversations with faculty members at Lafayette College who firmly believe in and support a move to D-3.

danefan
April 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
Hey, Doc,

I went to my local liquor store (actually, State Store as you well know) to buy my first bottle of the highly recommended Blanton's. I left to get an application for a second mortgage. Yoiks! Someday soon however, I will muster the nerve and brush aside my wife's objections to plunk down the outrageous funds required to acquire this ambrosia. How can I call myself a bourbon lover and not have had "the best."

If it makes you move closer towards purchasing it.....I will second the sentiment that Blantons is one fine bourbon.

Doc QB
April 3rd, 2012, 02:41 PM
Hey, Doc,

Yes, it is a bit precious, and a purchase much easier to rationalize to one's family (i.e. wife) if it is spent for a special occasion. If you are like me, that special occasion can't be FOR the wife (a non-whisky drinker), but must be for me, so timing and occasion is critical. In my bourbon drinking lifetime, have gotten one as a gift, bought just one for myself (still have it, only had some after Blue Devils were downed in the tourney), and bought one for my dad for a job promotion of his. Thats it.

Although, just signed a contract to return to the Valley and join the Lehigh Valley Hospital Physician Group...maybe that "occasion" could get me a spare bottle to bring to LU-Laff this fall and share with AGS fans come tailgate time...otherwise I treat the lone bottle I own like gold.

Dane96
April 3rd, 2012, 06:25 PM
If it makes you move closer towards purchasing it.....I will second the sentiment that Blantons is one fine bourbon.

I am a lover of bourbon, and Blanton's is my go to drink that I am sipping right now. That said, to the post above yours...I don't how much they are charging Carney...but it should not be more than 45 bucks a bottle. A bottle should last you a bit.

carney2
April 3rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
I am a lover of bourbon, and Blanton's is my go to drink that I am sipping right now. That said, to the post above yours...I don't how much they are charging Carney...but it should not be more than 45 bucks a bottle. A bottle should last you a bit.

Pennsylvania has the infamous State Store system and the going rate is $49.95 or very close thereto. A bottle lasts not at all if my brother-in-law or some of my old college friends show up. I shall have to find a secure hiding place and drink alone.

By the way, this whole "conversation" with Doc started in another thread when I recommended that someone try Devil's Cut. If you haven't, you must.

danefan
April 3rd, 2012, 06:49 PM

$49.99 in NJ

Noah's Mill is great one also although more expensive.

SU DOG
April 3rd, 2012, 06:57 PM

PaladinFan, you are SO right-on that it is scary. I've heard similar talk myself, but again hopefully nothing to it. My question for you is this: If Furman were to make such a move, what would your reaction be? As for me, I would tell Samford good-bye, audios, see you later. I love all of our sports, but football is #1 for me, and I can't see supporting a school that drops down to a non-scolly situation. Might work for some, but not for me.

spdram
April 3rd, 2012, 08:45 PM
Change in topic, but SU Dog, you guys missed out on a great Hoops Coach recently. Mike Rhodes, assistant at VCU. I personally think he will be a top caliber HC for the first school that lands him. BTW lots of good friends that graduated from Cumberland, along with my daughter.

SU DOG
April 3rd, 2012, 08:54 PM
Change in topic, but SU Dog, you guys missed out on a great Hoops Coach recently. Mike Rhodes, assistant at VCU. I personally think he will be a top caliber HC for the first school that lands him. BTW lots of good friends that graduated from Cumberland, along with my daughter.

Agree with you on Mike Rhoades. Samford's Cumberland School of Law just keeps on getting better and more prestigious. Your daughter did good.

JmuSkinsfan
April 3rd, 2012, 10:34 PM

I guess that would be funny if JMU hadn't just constructed a state of the art library ... in addition to the other great library on the old side of campus ...

And it isn't the "Harrisonburg Public Library" ... it's the "Massanutten Regional Library" thank you very much!

BlueHenSinfonian
April 3rd, 2012, 10:42 PM
$49.99 in NJ

In the same range, and my personal favorite, is Booker's.

Dane96
April 3rd, 2012, 11:50 PM
$49.99 in NJ

Gotta get some Noah's Mill for the weekend. I need to steel my nerves before they stick my back with an epidural shot for my herniated discs. That needle makes the knee/shoulder cortisone shot needle look like child's play. In fact, this needle tells the regular cortisone needle..."CHILD PLEASE, go back to the sandbox and let the adults speak".

Once I speak to my brother-in-law I will find out the name of this unreal new Bourbon I tried at X-mas; his buddy is from Kentucky and is a big-time Bourbon lover. This stuff he gave me was out-of-this world good. He bought the store out of their stash (2 cases).

Dane96
April 3rd, 2012, 11:58 PM
Boom...ask and y'all shall receive. This stuff is delicious. We destroyed a half case among 5 dudes in a full-day of "**** it, the ladies are all gone back to Denver, the conditions suck...most of us are injured, let's not ski...drink the day away":

Angels Envy

http://cocktails.about.com/od/whiskeyreviews/fr/Angels-Envy-Bourbon-Whiskey.htm

http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1C1GPCK_enUS372US372&biw=1163&bih=615&tbm=isch&tbnid=qULY8ht5jKPnaM:&imgrefurl=http://www.gearculture.com/culture/angels-envy-bourbon/&docid=ePRFX5uAz-ZozM&imgurl=http://www.gearculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/angels-envy-bourbon.jpg&w=630&h=440&ei=htR7T7aMKOTX0QHf5LiHDA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=618&vpy=160&dur=985&hovh=145&hovw=195&tx=75&ty=115&sig=113532629535642044027&sqi=2&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=179&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0,i:76

PaladinFan
April 4th, 2012, 06:42 AM
PaladinFan, you are SO right-on that it is scary. I've heard similar talk myself, but again hopefully nothing to it. My question for you is this: If Furman were to make such a move, what would your reaction be? As for me, I would tell Samford good-bye, audios, see you later. I love all of our sports, but football is #1 for me, and I can't see supporting a school that drops down to a non-scolly situation. Might work for some, but not for me.

You know, I am for what is best for the university. Frankly, if I cared about the seeing big-time football, I wouldn't go to Furman games. While I love FCS football, I don't want to see my school's financial future be tired directly to the football program.

In Furman's case, I think that scare has ended. A new administration has taken the helm, and they are a good deal more proactive in the athletic arena. I think you'll see Furman in the next few years get back to where it was ten years ago or so with successful athletic programs across the board instead of just "we fill these teams because the board of trustees requires me to."