PDA

View Full Version : UND vs NDSU in 2013??

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 11:50 AM
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2012/03/27/just-a-theory

Now things really got complicated once UND was accepted into the Big Sky, meaning UND and Montana became conference rivals. Montana now is scheduled to play in Grand Forks in 2012, 2013 and 2014. The ’12 and ’14 games are conference games, the 2013 is non-conference. I cannot see Montana coming to Grand Forks three straight years. While it would be great for FCS fans in the state to watch a perennial powerhouse like Montana, to get the Grizz to travel anywhere is a feat, and if they don’t have to, I don’t believe they will.

Has Montana ever played a the same team on the road in 3 straight years? IMO I don't see Montana buying out this game. If UND beats Montana this season why wouldn't Montana want to try to beat them in 2013? And if Montana wins this year I would think Montana would want to keep the game since you do need 7 DI wins and scheduling is becoming harder and harder.

Twentysix
March 29th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I informally heard buyout is over 200k. For um to buy it out and pay for a swac ovc or meac it would probably be approaching 500k. I doubt they buy it out also......

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2012/03/27/just-a-theory

Has Montana ever played a the same team on the road in 3 straight years? IMO I don't see Montana buying out this game. If UND beats Montana this season why wouldn't Montana want to try to beat them in 2013? And if Montana wins this year I would think Montana would want to keep the game since you do need 7 DI wins and scheduling is becoming harder and harder.

LakesBison
March 29th, 2012, 12:24 PM
hey 26, how's it going. slow news day at wday apparently. weather is rainy today, should be nice saturday though.

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I informally heard buyout is over 200k. For um to buy it out and pay for a swac ovc or meac it would probably be approaching 500k. I doubt they buy it out also......

And look at the scheduling problems NDSU and UNI had with $$$, I don't think UNI has filled its 2012 schedule yet. I think Izzo has wishful thinking in the article. He should have wrote this article if Montana did buy the game out not a year before when there is no proof they will.

Go Bison
March 29th, 2012, 12:43 PM
And look at the scheduling problems NDSU and UNI had with $$$, I don't think UNI has filled its 2012 schedule yet. I think Izzo has wishful thinking in the article. He should have wrote this article if Montana did buy the game out not a year before when there is no proof they will.

Not to nit pick but it is a blog and a theory versus an article. Personally, I wish he wouldn't have blogged it because it is all just speculation at this point. I do find it odd that the Montana/UND game is nonconference game. I realize it was a home and home but it still seems odd.

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Not to nit pick but it is a blog and a theory versus an article. Personally, I wish he wouldn't have blogged it because it is all just speculation at this point. I do find it odd that the Montana/UND game is nonconference game. I realize it was a home and home but it still seems odd.

On gobison.com they list South Dakota as a non-conference game. They did a home and home series. 2013 and 2014 has USD @ NDSU. So its not going to be too odd when you try to get OOC games within your conference. It will be a long time I think when you see this again(UM @ UND 3 years in a row) if ever.

Professor Chaos
March 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Dom knows what gets a buzz going in his readership and this is nothing more than a play for some hits on his blog and to rattle the cages of some of the fans who take this topic way too seriously. They'll play again but it's very very unlikely to be in 2013 with the scenario that he cooked up.

I have a gut feeling that NDSU and UND match up in the playoffs before an agreement is actually hashed out between the schools for a regular season matchup. You know that if the two would both be in the playoffs that the NCAA would match them up against each other unless they're both seeded due to the proximity of the two schools and the ticket interest they know it will generate.

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Dom knows what gets a buzz going in his readership and this is nothing more than a play for some hits on his blog and to rattle the cages of some of the fans who take this topic way too seriously. They'll play again but it's very very unlikely to be in 2013 with the scenario that he cooked up.

I have a gut feeling that NDSU and UND match up in the playoffs before an agreement is actually hashed out between the schools for a regular season matchup.

I hope they meet in 2012.:D

Go Bison
March 29th, 2012, 12:58 PM
On gobison.com they list South Dakota as a non-conference game. They did a home and home series. 2013 and 2014 has USD @ NDSU. So its not going to be too odd when you try to get OOC games within your conference. It will be a long time I think when you see this again(UM @ UND 3 years in a row) if ever.

Hmm. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but I show conference games marked by a * for the 2012 and 2013 games against USD. They don't show it as a conference game in 2014 though. Maybe that is what you meant?

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hmm. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but I show conference games marked by a * for the 2012 and 2013 games against USD. They don't show it as a conference game in 2014 though. Maybe that is what you meant?

Exactly MVFC game in 2012, 2013, but OOC in 2014.

Professor Chaos
March 29th, 2012, 01:07 PM

Exactly MVFC game in 2012, 2013, but OOC in 2014.
That's most likely due to the fact that the MVFC hasn't released a conference schedule for 2014 yet. I'm fairly sure that'll be a conference game in 2014 but it may be on a different date or in Vermillion instead of Fargo.

MplsBison
March 29th, 2012, 02:20 PM

I have a gut feeling that NDSU and UND match up in the playoffs before an agreement is actually hashed out between the schools for a regular season matchup. You know that if the two would both be in the playoffs that the NCAA would match them up against each other unless they're both seeded due to the proximity of the two schools and the ticket interest they know it will generate.

Like it's hard. All you have to do is whisper UND around bisonvillers and they all go into small man syndrome plus an epileptic seizure.

MplsBison
March 29th, 2012, 02:22 PM

If it is any kind of large buyout, then the deal is off the table.

It'd only work if it was one of those "good ol' day" buyouts of 10k or something like that.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 29th, 2012, 03:53 PM
LOL.....this game will not happen in 2013.

I would rather GT schedule CAA games or teams from the SoCon for our OOC games instead of UND.

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 04:21 PM
LOL.....this game will not happen in 2013.

I would rather GT schedule CAA games or teams from the SoCon for our OOC games instead of UND.

GT had to scramble just to get Prairie View to come to Fargo how are going to get a SoCon or CAA team in the dome?

frozennorth
March 29th, 2012, 04:36 PM
GT had to scramble just to get Prairie View to come to Fargo how are going to get a SoCon or CAA team in the dome?

higher buyouts

ursus arctos horribilis
March 29th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Teams play OOC games against conference members sometimes. It does not happen a whole lot any more but there is nothing saying it can not as far as I know.

Montana played Idaho State twice in 1986. Once in conference and once as an OOC game. If teams had those games scheduled before they became conference mates then may well stay as they are and if not there would have to be some financial consideration paid to the team having the OOC game in their pocket.

I can almost guarantee that you will be seeing some BSC members with OOC games with conference members on their schedule. Then people are gonna argue that team x or team y should have won/tied for the conference even though the game played between the teams was not a conference game.

frozennorth
March 29th, 2012, 04:50 PM
UND is playing portland state as an ooc game this year last I checked.

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 06:28 PM
UND is playing portland state as an ooc game this year last I checked.

It was a replacement game when the end game of the home and home against Central Arkansas was bought out by UCA.

Thundar
March 29th, 2012, 07:01 PM
If UND beats Montana this season

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

344Johnson
March 29th, 2012, 07:31 PM

as much as I would like to join you and laugh, these new circumstances in Montana could easily destroy their football team for a season or two....and Montana just so happens to be travelling to UND those years...and another time the following season.

JSUBison
March 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM

The athletic dept. didn't have to scramble at all. There's more to scheduling than just picking up the phone and making a deal. PV had to get permission from both Alabama St and the SWAC to move the PV/Alabama State to make the NDSU/PV game work. When Gene goes looking to buy a money game, he's not going to sign up the first school that says yes. He'll keep that team in mind and probably start working on a deal, but he's also going to keep looking to see if he might find one that will take the game for a little less. Of course the other teams are doing the same thing, but in reverse. Looking for a game and holding out trying to get a bigger paycheck. Trick is to find that sweet spot. Home/home games are usually much easier to schedule, the only real sticking point is the buyout clause. That's why I wasn't gripping, there's always teams out there that can use a paycheck. Gene hasn't failed yet in scheduling, imo. And if you want to talk about somebody scrambling to fill a date, that would be the UNI AD. He's in a tough spot. NDSU never was.

344Johnson
March 29th, 2012, 07:49 PM

I'd presume the same way Appalachian State and Montana got a deal together. A home-and-home with someone.....with a nuckin futs buyout.

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I'd presume the same way Appalachian State and Montana got a deal together. A home-and-home with someone.....with a nuckin futs buyout.

I heard thats what SDSU does is a lot of home and home games. But you need that nuckin futs buyout to make it work.

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 07:55 PM

Something funny about UND beating Montana? Here is the result of a 7-3 Montana vs a 3-7 UND team in Missoula in 2010.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=303170149

11:05 left 3rd Qtr UND 17 Montana 13...too bad UND gave up 2 td's late to seal the win. UND has lost only a handful of games at home, and are tough...ask NDSU (0-2 at the Alerus).

344Johnson
March 29th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Something funny about UND beating Montana? Here is the result of a 7-3 Montana vs a 3-7 UND team in Missoula in 2010.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=303170149

11:05 left 3rd Qtr UND 17 Montana 13...too bad UND gave up 2 td's late to seal the win. UND has lost only a handful of games at home, and are tough...ask NDSU (0-2 at the Alerus).

Seriously? Bragging about being ahead in a game you lost to a team who didn't make the playoffs for the first time in something like...18 or 19 years? Oof.

344Johnson
March 29th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I heard thats what SDSU does is a lot of home and home games. But you need that nuckin futs buyout to make it work.

Mutually-Assured Destruction is a term that might be appropriate to describe said buyout.

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Seriously? Bragging about being ahead in a game you lost to a team who didn't make the playoffs for the first time in something like...18 or 19 years? Oof.

Just saying not bad for a team that won 3 games going into Missoula and almost coming home with an upset. UND plays tough on the road but is a lot tougher at home.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 29th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Just saying not bad for a team that won 3 games going into Missoula and almost coming home with an upset. UND plays tough on the road but is a lot tougher at home.

darell, I don't want to belittle the effort by UND but I assume you watched the game and seeing from a UND standpoint and not watching much of the Griz you may think that. It was not a near upset and we had periods that season in every game where we just didn't put a good effort together. I never felt we were in real danger in that game however.

Griz played sloppy **** to keep it close. No excuses, it's what we did a lot that year and it is what we were.

Doesn't mean a thing for the upcoming event. UND is making strides and the talent gap is much narrower now and with what we got going it may the opposite in this upcoming meeting.

Professor Chaos
March 29th, 2012, 09:12 PM
If games ended after 3 quarters UND would be dominant... maybe that's why their hockey team is usually so good.

LakesBison
March 30th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Ha cept when it comes to march/april !

Remember when ndsu was down by 2 in montana in 2003? O wait, FAKE KICK!! We never brag about a close loss.

the only chumps that wanna play this game are desperate for attention ncaa sanctioned abuser's.

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 07:44 AM
darell, I don't want to belittle the effort by UND but I assume you watched the game and seeing from a UND standpoint and not watching much of the Griz you may think that. It was not a near upset and we had periods that season in every game where we just didn't put a good effort together. I never felt we were in real danger in that game however.

Griz played sloppy **** to keep it close. No excuses, it's what we did a lot that year and it is what we were.

Doesn't mean a thing for the upcoming event. UND is making strides and the talent gap is much narrower now and with what we got going it may the opposite in this upcoming meeting.

That was not a good year for UND we had so many injuries and we couldn't buy a win not even at home. 3-2 at home and one of those were against a DII team. 0-6 on the road at the time of the Montana game most people thought it would be a blowout. Going to a big stadium (over 24,000) the biggest crowd UND faced that year even bigger than the Northern Illinois game UND fans probably expected a 48-0 or a 35-3 game not a lead in the 3rd quarter. UND has made great strides since that 2009 season, going 5-1 vs DI teams in 2010, winning a share of the GWFC title all by not giving up and fighting to the end. People are talking about 2012, Big Sky, and playoff eligible. Attendance will increase greatly with this excitment and it won't be long before UND is at the top with the Montana's.

MplsBison
March 30th, 2012, 08:41 AM
So did anyone ever find out what the buyout is for Montana to get out of coming to Grand Forks in 2013?

Is it even doable?

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 08:48 AM
So did anyone ever find out what the buyout is for Montana to get out of coming to Grand Forks in 2013?

Is it even doable?

$100,000
http://waynenelson.areavoices.com/2009/08/19/a-hefty-buyout/#comments

Go Bison
March 30th, 2012, 09:50 AM

Umm. They only lost to Texas Tech by what 25 points! They were ahead of Fresno State at one point in the game. They could have beaten Northern Illinois if their Hail Mary pass was complete. Keep in mind we are talking about Moral Victory University here.

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Umm. They only lost to Texas Tech by what 25 points! They were ahead of Fresno State at one point in the game. They could have beaten Northern Illinois if their Hail Mary pass was complete. Keep in mind we are talking about Moral Victory University here.

Funny how the only people that talk about moral victories are NDSU fans. Getting kinda old isn't it? I think you need new material to make fun of us. Its okay I guess when we lose to a team its a moral victory but when you guys lose to us its a game that no Bison fan cared about.

344Johnson
March 30th, 2012, 10:12 AM
That was not a good year for UND we had so many injuries and we couldn't buy a win not even at home. 3-2 at home and one of those were against a DII team. 0-6 on the road at the time of the Montana game most people thought it would be a blowout. Going to a big stadium (over 24,000) the biggest crowd UND faced that year even bigger than the Northern Illinois game UND fans probably expected a 48-0 or a 35-3 game not a lead in the 3rd quarter. UND has made great strides since that 2009 season, going 5-1 vs DI teams in 2010, winning a share of the GWFC title all by not giving up and fighting to the end. People are talking about 2012, Big Sky, and playoff eligible. Attendance will increase greatly with this excitment and it won't be long before UND is at the top with the Montana's.

UND's attendence is not guaranteed to do anything. I am a college student. I know loads of people up at UND, I date a girl from up there. Of all the people I know, only one of them goes to UND football games. UND students simply do not care about attending games. They tell me that either A.) they didn't know UND had a game that weekend, B.) It is too long of a walk to the Alerus, C.) None of their friends go, or D.) All of the above. NDSU's attendence didn't change when we started playing better teams. I don't see why UND's would. The only thing that will increase UND's attendence is winning games. It also certainly doesn't help that right now UND is an incredibly boring team to watch from a standard fans perspective. No passing game at all, no star players on offense(don't feed me the Jake Miller crap). No guys on defense who are worth the price of admission either. UND probably won't get to the level on Montana consistently, not many teams do. Best case, IMO, UND becomes similar to an EWU or Montana St. As in a team who can compete, but not throw Montana off the throne.

$100,000
http://waynenelson.areavoices.com/2009/08/19/a-hefty-buyout/#comments

$100,000? Montana can/should/possibly will buy this game out then. Montana nets a substantial amount of money at home games. Paying $100,000 and another $200,000 for some other team to come into WaGriz makes sense for them.

344Johnson
March 30th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Funny how the only people that talk about moral victories are NDSU fans. Getting kinda old isn't it? I think you need new material to make fun of us. Its okay I guess when we lose to a team its a moral victory but when you guys lose to us its a game that no one cared about.

No, UND people talk about moral victories all the time. Jake Miller, "happy about going 'toe-to-toe' with fresno." Everyone super jacked about only getting beat by 25 by Texas Tech. Everyone happy about barely losing to Northern Illinois. You showing us that at one point in the 3rd quarter, UND was beating a very average Montana team.

NDSU hasn't played UND since 2003, and it was a game a lot of people cared about. I don't know where you are going with that? I've never met an NDSU fan who didn't care about the UND game.

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 10:24 AM
UND's attendence is not guaranteed to do anything. I am a college student. I know loads of people up at UND, I date a girl from up there. Of all the people I know, only one of them goes to UND football games. UND students simply do not care about attending games. They tell me that either A.) they didn't know UND had a game that weekend, B.) It is too long of a walk to the Alerus, C.) None of their friends go, or D.) All of the above. NDSU's attendence didn't change when we started playing better teams. I don't see why UND's would. The only thing that will increase UND's attendence is winning games. It also certainly doesn't help that right now UND is an incredibly boring team to watch from a standard fans perspective. No passing game at all, no star players on offense(don't feed me the Jake Miller crap). No guys on defense who are worth the price of admission either. UND probably won't get to the level on Montana consistently, not many teams do. Best case, IMO, UND becomes similar to an EWU or Montana St. As in a team who can compete, but not throw Montana off the throne.

$100,000? Montana can/should/possibly will buy this game out then. Montana nets a substantial amount of money at home games. Paying $100,000 and another $200,000 for some other team to come into WaGriz makes sense for them.

You gained all that from the loads of people you know at UND? UND has no guys on defense that you would pay the price of admission?? Broc Belmore was a superstar until he got hurt late in the year blocking kicks in almost every game just ask Central Arkansas about him. No passing game? Well thats why they brought in a boat load of QB's(including a FBS transfer) and some tall trees to catch those passes. UND by not playing DII/NAIA teams (minus the first game of the year) will see a spike in attendance. We have good teams coming into the Alerus in Portland State, Montana, Cal Poly, Northern Arizona, and Southern Utah. We play the 2010 National Champion (EWU), 2011 GWFC Co-Champion (CP), the BSC Champion(UM) and a 2011 playoff team (MSU), not to mention a Bowl team (SDSU). Our schedule is loaded, we are defending co-champs, and we have playoffs to play for now. Lets review this in 8 months to see where UND's attendance ranks compared to the last 4 years. If we win the 7DI games and get into the playoffs which IMO is do-able 5 wins at home and a win @ UNC and maybe EW or Sac St then maybe the disbelievers will take a second look at UND and not write us off.

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 10:25 AM
No, UND people talk about moral victories all the time. Jake Miller, "happy about going 'toe-to-toe' with fresno." Everyone super jacked about only getting beat by 25 by Texas Tech. Everyone happy about barely losing to Northern Illinois. You showing us that at one point in the 3rd quarter, UND was beating a very average Montana team.

NDSU hasn't played UND since 2003, and it was a game a lot of people cared about. I don't know where you are going with that? I've never met an NDSU fan who didn't care about the UND game.

Ask Lakes about UND beating NDSU in basketball. He says no one cared about that game, players, coaches and fans.

Go Bison
March 30th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Funny how the only people that talk about moral victories are NDSU fans. Getting kinda old isn't it? I think you need new material to make fun of us. Its okay I guess when we lose to a team its a moral victory but when you guys lose to us its a game that no Bison fan cared about.

I read the Fargo Forum online everyday and the quotes in the paper from UND's coach and players talk about moral victories. Remember going toe-to-toe with Idaho when UND lost 45-0? If NDSU would have lost to anyone 45-0, the paper would have talked about firing the coach. I guess the double standard with the media is getting pretty old.

I do find it funny though that in your signature line you have the DII runner up listed. I don't see many Bison fans bragging about when NDSU has finished second.

Ginsbach
March 30th, 2012, 10:33 AM
You gained all that from the loads of people you know at UND? UND has no guys on defense that you would pay the price of admission?? Broc Belmore was a superstar until he got hurt late in the year blocking kicks in almost every game just ask Central Arkansas about him. No passing game? Well thats why they brought in a boat load of QB's(including a FBS transfer) and some tall trees to catch those passes. UND by not playing DII/NAIA teams (minus the first game of the year) will see a spike in attendance. We have good teams coming into the Alerus in Portland State, Montana, Cal Poly, Northern Arizona, and Southern Utah. We play the 2010 National Champion (EWU), 2011 GWFC Co-Champion (CP), the BSC Champion(UM) and a 2011 playoff team (MSU), not to mention a Bowl team (SDSU). Our schedule is loaded, we are defending co-champs, and we have playoffs to play for now. Lets review this in 8 months to see where UND's attendance ranks compared to the last 4 years. If we win the 7DI games and get into the playoffs which IMO is do-able 5 wins at home and a win @ UNC and maybe EW or Sac St then maybe the disbelievers will take a second look at UND and not write us off.

And why do you think playing those teams is going to boost your attendance? How many people in Grand Forks even know where, say, Southern Utah is located?

ISU had an average attendance of 7,500 this year in a dome that seats 12,000.

Guess who played in Pocatello last year? Northern Colorado, Portland State, Montana, and Eastern Washington.

This is in a location where the other schools are at least close by, too, instead of halfway across the country and familiar to the residents.

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 10:39 AM

I was happy that UND played TT tough. First ever game against a FBS team that challenged for a national title the previous season, we weren't going against a bottom feeder like Minnesota, and yeah we played tough but no coach or player claimed any moral victory. UND should have beaten NIU 2 years ago but we had a ref blow a call at the end zone (kinda like NDSU vs EWU that you fans still cry about). Yes UND after getting thumped at Idaho went to Fresno who played tough at Nebraska and was 9 minutes from a major upset. From a team that was 3-8 in 2010 and starting the year 1-0 (win over non-schollie Drake) leading Idaho at halftime only to get bashed in the second half no one gave UND a chance at Fresno so leaving FSU with a 5 point loss because of a TD late by the Bulldogs was acceptable. It would be good to win those games but its not the end of the world. I would rather win all the FCS games instead of any FBS games. You don't base your season on a game vs a FBS team unless you are in the FBS. South Dakota beat Minnesota in 2010 was that a good season for them..hell no they finished 4-7, and those 3 other wins were vs a non DI team, 3-8 UND, and 3-8 UNC. So NDSU can brag about their FBS win I don't care, but why smack a team because they haven't beaten a FBS team. South Dakota State has not beaten a FBS team and they were the first Dakota team to reach the playoffs, why? They won the 7 DI games needed for playoffs. In the end...playoffs is all that matters in the FCS, and in 2012 UND and USD will get their shot at trying to reach that goal.

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 10:45 AM
And why do you think playing those teams is going to boost your attendance? How many people in Grand Forks even know where, say, Southern Utah is located?

ISU had an average attendance of 7,500 this year in a dome that seats 12,000.

Guess who played in Pocatello last year? Northern Colorado, Portland State, Montana, and Eastern Washington.

This is in a location where the other schools are at least close by, too, instead of halfway across the country and familiar to the residents.

We have had over 10,000 attendance in games that did not include teams close to Grand Forks...DII Western Washington, DII Texas A&M-Kingsville, DIII Wisconsin-Lacrosse, and that was in our first year of DI in 2008. Don't worry like in Field of Dreams..if you build it (a good team, good conference, and playoffs) they will come!!

gotts
March 30th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I was happy that UND played TT tough. First ever game against a FBS team that challenged for a national title the previous season, we weren't going against a bottom feeder like Minnesota, and yeah we played tough but no coach or player claimed any moral victory. UND should have beaten NIU 2 years ago but we had a ref blow a call at the end zone (kinda like NDSU vs EWU that you fans still cry about). Yes UND after getting thumped at Idaho went to Fresno who played tough at Nebraska and was 9 minutes from a major upset. From a team that was 3-8 in 2010 and starting the year 1-0 (win over non-schollie Drake) leading Idaho at halftime only to get bashed in the second half no one gave UND a chance at Fresno so leaving FSU with a 5 point loss because of a TD late by the Bulldogs was acceptable. It would be good to win those games but its not the end of the world. I would rather win all the FCS games instead of any FBS games. You don't base your season on a game vs a FBS team unless you are in the FBS. South Dakota beat Minnesota in 2010 was that a good season for them..hell no they finished 4-7, and those 3 other wins were vs a non DI team, 3-8 UND, and 3-8 UNC. So NDSU can brag about their FBS win I don't care, but why smack a team because they haven't beaten a FBS team. South Dakota State has not beaten a FBS team and they were the first Dakota team to reach the playoffs, why? They won the 7 DI games needed for playoffs. In the end...playoffs is all that matters in the FCS, and in 2012 UND and USD will get their shot at trying to reach that goal.

Good luck on reaching the playoffs with that attitude. Play to win EVERY game.

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I read the Fargo Forum online everyday and the quotes in the paper from UND's coach and players talk about moral victories. Remember going toe-to-toe with Idaho when UND lost 45-0? If NDSU would have lost to anyone 45-0, the paper would have talked about firing the coach. I guess the double standard with the media is getting pretty old.

I do find it funny though that in your signature line you have the DII runner up listed. I don't see many Bison fans bragging about when NDSU has finished second.

No they just bitch and moan and blame everybody under the sun.

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Good luck on reaching the playoffs with that attitude. Play to win EVERY game.

UND does that, but because you beat a FBS team doesn't mean ***** if you can't win FCS games. Like my South Dakota example, beat Minnesota only to finish 4-7.

Ginsbach
March 30th, 2012, 10:56 AM
We have had over 10,000 attendance in games that did not include teams close to Grand Forks...DII Western Washington, DII Texas A&M-Kingsville, DIII Wisconsin-Lacrosse, and that was in our first year of DI in 2008. Don't worry like in Field of Dreams..if you build it (a good team, good conference, and playoffs) they will come!!

And yet, despite going 8-3 and winning the Great West this year, in 2011 UND only had an average attendance of 7,800 in a stadium that seats 12,300.

Huh. So an 8-3 UND drew a tiny bit more (63.8% capacity) than a 2-9 ISU (62.6% capacity).

Playing Big Sky teams isn't going to magically boost your numbers overnight.

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 10:58 AM
And yet, despite going 8-3 and winning the Great West this year, in 2011 UND only had an average attendance of 7,800 in a stadium that seats 12,300.

Huh. So an 8-3 UND drew a tiny bit more (63.8% capacity) than a 2-9 ISU (62.6% capacity).

Playing Big Sky teams isn't going to magically boost your numbers overnight.

It helps when you home schedule is not full of non DI teams. I think people got sick of that. 3 out of the 6 games at home was non DI teams.

Ginsbach
March 30th, 2012, 11:07 AM
It helps when you home schedule is not full of non DI teams. I think people got sick of that. 3 out of the 6 games at home was non DI teams.

Darell, I'm from eastern North Dakota originally. Spent 23 year in Hankinson and Fargo. I'm well aware of the challenges UND football has to face. If UND can manage to keep winning against much better schools in the Big Sky with a full schedule of them (NDSU's first and second years in the Missouri Valley should show you how much more difficult a full conference slate opposed to the GWFC schedule can be) then attendance should go up. It's an uphill, tough battle, though. Interest and attendance aren't going to all of a sudden rise up when you're playing schools a thousand miles away that hardly anyone in eastern ND has heard of.

There just isn't the passion for UND football that there is for, say, NDSU football or UND hockey. Attendance may rise, yes, but it's going to take a while and not be as easy as you may think.

344Johnson
March 30th, 2012, 11:13 AM

One playoff team. GWFC co-champ? Cool beans.

That was 2008. In 2011 they didn't show up.

Not like your DI home games got attended either...

LakesBison
March 30th, 2012, 11:18 AM
1 person on this board everyone should ignore and it'd be easier to deal with for ndsu fans.

its been a great couple days for me on AGS! thanks urses!! I love the quietness and not having to read any rebuttals, ha ha.

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Darell, I'm from eastern North Dakota originally. Spent 23 year in Hankinson and Fargo. I'm well aware of the challenges UND football has to face. If UND can manage to keep winning against much better schools in the Big Sky with a full schedule of them (NDSU's first and second years in the Missouri Valley should show you how much more difficult a full conference slate opposed to the GWFC schedule can be) then attendance should go up. It's an uphill, tough battle, though. Interest and attendance aren't going to all of a sudden rise up when you're playing schools a thousand miles away that hardly anyone in eastern ND has heard of.

There just isn't the passion for UND football that there is for, say, NDSU football or UND hockey. Attendance may rise, yes, but it's going to take a while and not be as easy as you may think.

Your third sentence is the key..if UND can manage to keep winning. Going 3-8 in 2010 blew attendance even more in 2011. Because there were so many unknowns on this team. UND's losing season was the first losing season since 1986!!! UND fans are NOT used to losing, just like NDSU has their 3 win season in 2009 their fans weren't used to them losing its not in our history. We may have a bad year or couple years but we don't go 5-10 years with losing seasons. So in 2011 UND turned it around went 8-3 overall or how I look at it 5-1 vs FCS teams plus ended up with the title of co-champions it sparked something in this program. 2012 recruiting was great. We got a QB that was talked about in this area in Joe Mollberg yes we won't see him til 2013 but if this team can repeat the success they had in 2011 and get into the playoffs even as one of the last teams in...that helps. UND beat 2 ranked teams last year Southern Utah, and South Dakota, UND was even ranked for the first time ever in DI. Things are looking up for this program and we will see what happens only 5 months away. We know the Montana's will be the king of the mountain and its our job (everyone else in the BSC) to knock them off. I wish Idaho State good luck.

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 11:23 AM
One playoff team. GWFC co-champ? Cool beans.

That was 2008. In 2011 they didn't show up.

Not like your DI home games got attended either...

I couldn't believe the attendance for the South Dakota game. I was there and it was bad. For a game with a conference title on the line (the only goal for UND football) and people stayed home and watched it on tv. I don't expect much out of the SD Mines game but I expect over 10k at the PSU game since its the Potato Bowl and our first DI game in our playoff quest.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 30th, 2012, 12:00 PM
1 person on this board everyone should ignore and it'd be easier to deal with for ndsu fans.

its been a great couple days for me on AGS! thanks urses!! I love the quietness and not having to read any rebuttals, ha ha.

Do you really want to call yourself out like that? There might be some people who haven't read your ****.

LakesBison
March 30th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Nodak 4 ever. you're an idiot if you dont know who i am talking about.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 12:33 PM
thanks urses!

You're welcome.

Lakus.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 30th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Nodak 4 ever. you're an idiot if you dont know who i am talking about.

What I'm trying to figure out, being an idiot and all, is why Darrel seems to have a much higher reputation score and isn't banned from any boards that I know of. Seeing as how he is so universally reviled and equally as universally loved.

SDFS
March 30th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Nodak 4 ever. i am an idiot and I dont know what i'm talking about.

Finally a post by Lakes that I agree with..

BisonBacker
March 30th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Finally a post by Lakes that I agree with..

Classic and rep points to you sir!

LakesBison
March 30th, 2012, 02:50 PM
ok NERDS.

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 03:16 PM
MMMM Nerds!!
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/nerds_candy.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 03:21 PM
ok NERDS.

Sometimes Lakes me laugh really hard inside with his response.

That is one of them.

344Johnson
March 30th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Sometimes Lakes me laugh really hard inside with his response.

That is one of them.

I concur.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 30th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I concur.

Why do I get the feeling every time Lakes posts something like that in his head it's one of those "drop the mic and walk away" moments instead of a huge joke setup?

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Why do I get the feeling every time Lakes posts something like that in his head it's one of those "drop the mic and walk away" moments instead of a huge joke setup?

THAT is what is funniest about it NoDak! I imagine Step Brothers type things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2YIuO8Td3Y

Professor Chaos
March 30th, 2012, 04:43 PM

I could definitely see Lakes singing an opera ballad at the ****in' Catalina Wine Mixer.

Of course mixing in a few random "Boats n' Hos" into it.

344Johnson
March 30th, 2012, 05:48 PM

I could definitely see Lakes singing an opera ballad at the ****in' Catalina Wine Mixer.

Of course mixing in a few random "Boats n' Hos" into it.

All of this.