PDA

View Full Version : Pflu and ODay FIRED from UM this morning

ALPHAGRIZ1
March 29th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Heads rolled............more to come

http://www.maroonblood.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=730

Will update MB with info as I get it.........

LakesBison
March 29th, 2012, 11:55 AM
WHOAAAAAAAAAAA............

asumike83
March 29th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Wow... ! I have not been keeping up well with the happenings in Missoula, but I assume this is due to the recent off-field problems?

T-Dog
March 29th, 2012, 11:59 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ELFl2_1q7DI/TObn1HnV2fI/AAAAAAAAAaQ/5JkvAtpbv7k/s1600/Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

DJKyR0
March 29th, 2012, 12:06 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ELFl2_1q7DI/TObn1HnV2fI/AAAAAAAAAaQ/5JkvAtpbv7k/s1600/Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I like the part where he links to a post of him saying it with no link.

Is this for real AG1?

superman7515
March 29th, 2012, 12:08 PM
April Fool's Day is awful close... Hmm.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 29th, 2012, 12:12 PM
If Alpha is pulling legs he is not letting me in on it as he is normally apt to do. I'd say with 90% certainty that this is real.

If I'm wrong he suckered me as well but I believe that he percieves that he did get credible information on this.

T-Dog
March 29th, 2012, 12:13 PM
There be smoke.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/um-to-release-statement-on-o-day-pflugrad/article_b7877268-79c0-11e1-92b3-0019bb2963f4.html

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 12:17 PM
If the coach goes would new recruits bail on Montana??

ursus arctos horribilis
March 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM
If the coach goes would new recruits bail on Montana??

Everything is on the table I would imagine in that regard.

Engstrom has some serious balls and I don't know what all the facts are but I gotta say that dude gets some serious respect for taking this to the next level.

Uncle Rico's Clan
March 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I just spoke with a friend of mine who got information from the meeting this morning, it sounds like it has to do with the University helping make legal arrangements with attorneys and players. It also sounds like there is a possible NCAA investigation.

LakesBison
March 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM
ok, its gonna get ugly now according to my contact at UM. former player.

UNH Fanboi
March 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Why the **** happened? Was Pflugrad found in bed with a dead woman or a live boy?

UNH Fanboi
March 29th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I just spoke with a friend of mine who got information from the meeting this morning, it sounds like it has to do with the University helping make legal arrangements with attorneys and players. It also sounds like there is a possible NCAA investigation.

Paying lawyers? A coach can refer a player to a lawyer, right?

T-Dog
March 29th, 2012, 12:35 PM

Yes. Nothing wrong with that. However paying lawyers, especially if its a criminal case, is a big no-no.

wvanness
March 29th, 2012, 12:35 PM
WOW!

http://missoulian.com/news/local/university-of-montana-fires-football-coach-athletic-director/article_b7877268-79c0-11e1-92b3-0019bb2963f4.html

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Everything is on the table I would imagine in that regard.

Engstrom has some serious balls and I don't know what all the facts are but I gotta say that dude gets some serious respect for taking this to the next level.

Reason I asked is there were recruits lost when Paterno stepped down at Penn State.

Uncle Rico's Clan

I still think a lot of the details are up in the air, I heard the University is planning a news conference later. What I find interesting is that I seem to recall the university's Vice President, Jim Foley, accompanying Tru and Kemp to court. I'm curious if his job is safe.

WH49er
Crazy

TheBisonator
March 29th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Why did this happen??? Was it paying lawyers???

TheRevSFA
March 29th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Wow...

ALPHAGRIZ1
March 29th, 2012, 12:49 PM
xcoffeex

bluehenbillk
March 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Reason I asked is there were recruits lost when Paterno stepped down at Penn State.

Paterno was canned in November, three months before NLI's were signed. Since kids put it in writing they were coming to UM almost 2 months ago that's a whole different ball of wax.

ngineer
March 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Spadola's revenge? (;-) Jus' kiddin'.

Obviously some major 'you know what goin' down' when this stuff happens. The public reasoning will be interesting.

Uncle Rico's Clan
March 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Why did this happen??? Was it paying lawyers???

From what I was told, it was helping make "arrangements" with legal issues. I don't know if that means payment, recommendations, directing players to particular lawyers, or what exactly.

laxVik
March 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM
OC promoted? Never a good time to fire, but with spring practice starting wow.

ngineer
March 29th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Yes. Nothing wrong with that. However paying lawyers, especially if its a criminal case, is a big no-no.

Absolutely.

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Paterno was canned in November, three months before NLI's were signed. Since kids put it in writing they were coming to UM almost 2 months ago that's a whole different ball of wax.

Can they still backout? Spring ball must have started at UM hasn't it?

ursus arctos horribilis
March 29th, 2012, 01:08 PM

I highly doubt that if a recruit wants to go that the U is gonna hold them up over it.

klak
March 29th, 2012, 01:14 PM

If they've already signed an LOI (and they have at this point), normal tranfer rules will apply. But since all of them are true freshmen, then they'd just be sitting out their redshirt year.

AmsterBison
March 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM

I doubt any letter of intent has a "You can back out if the coach gets fired or quits" clause.

That's why students should pick colleges based on the institution's merits. If football is really important to them (and, honestly, it must be if they are willing to commit to something that requires so much from them), the student should base the decision on the program's merits rather than a coach's merits.

I wonder what the average term for an FCS football coach is? I bet that it's between 5 and 6 years. If the coach is good, then the FBS tries to get him, and if the coach is unsuccessful, they get fired.

And that's just head coaches - position coaches and coordinators don't last nearly so long.

Professor Chaos
March 29th, 2012, 01:21 PM
If they've already signed an LOI (and they have at this point), normal tranfer rules will apply. But since all of them are true freshmen, then they'd just be sitting out their redshirt year.
Universities have been known to let a player out of his LOI if there are extenuating circumstances in the coaching staff or otherwise. I recall a couple years ago that a stud basketball recrurt named Xavier Henry committed to Memphis prior to Calipari leaving for Kentucky. When he did Henry asked out of his LOI and was granted it by the university. He then signed with Kansas and played the next year. If UM wants to be dicks about it they can hold a player who wants out to his LOI but he can still transfer, he'll just have to sit out as per normal transfer rules whereas if they release him from his LOI the player can play immediately for his next university of choice.

Squealofthepig
March 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM
We spoke to Pflugrad as he was leaving the "Press Box" restaurant and he said off camera that he was shocked about the firing and that he'd not yet spoken to the team. Pflugrad wouldn't comment on why he was fired. Pflugrad tells us he will now consult with an attorney.

From http://www.kpax.com/news/um-s-o-day-pflugrad-react-to-dismissal/

Houston Roots (Senior Cornerback) was also arrested (per an egriz post and booking sheet) on assault yesterday afternoon (see three day release at http://www.co.missoula.mt.us/PublicJailRoster/Releases.aspx)

klak
March 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Universities have been known to let a player out of his LOI if there are extenuating circumstances in the coaching staff or otherwise. I recall a couple years ago that a stud basketball recuirt named Xavier Henry committed to Memphis prior to Calipari leaving for Kentucky. When he did Henry asked out of his LOI and was granted it by the university. He then signed with Kansas and played the next year. If UM wants to be dicks about it they can hold a player who wants out to his LOI but he can still transfer, he'll just have to sit out as per normal transfer rules whereas if they release him from his LOI the player can play immediately for his next university of choice.

You may be right about this, but I think basketball is a little bit different since they have a much earlier signing period than football.

It's NCAA bylaws, so I don't think ANYBODY knows how they work.

Uncle Rico's Clan
March 29th, 2012, 01:27 PM

Rimm Rosenbach is the OC he has been on the job about two months tops, he has only coached the team in six practices. DC is Ty Gregorak, been with the Griz for years but has only been the DC about as long as Rosenbach has been OC. I have no clue who will be in charge when South Dakota comes to Missoula.

Silenoz
March 29th, 2012, 01:28 PM

Eh, he was JUST hired...

Squealofthepig
March 29th, 2012, 01:29 PM
It's NCAA bylaws, so I don't think ANYBODY knows how they work.

*heh* That's amusing and oh so true.

Given that UM appears to be cleaning house, I can't see them trying to force players to honor LOI if they back out now - imagine they'll be doing any type of positive damage control they can.

DFW HOYA
March 29th, 2012, 01:35 PM
"An institution may release a student from his or her NLI obligation by selecting the “Complete Release” option on the NLI Release Request. It is the institution’s discretion to grant a release or not."

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/85bbf0004e0dc6ec94fef41ad6fc8b25/NLI+Guide+2011-12.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=85bbf0004e0dc6ec94fef41ad6fc8b25

KNUTS
March 29th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Theres a lot of speculation on stuff that I'm hearing.
1 is that there was a pretty major cover up on at least one of the rape allegations.
2. Jordan Johnson will probably transfer (which I dont blame him, and kind of thought thats what I would do with all of his trouble hes had to deal with in the speculation of his court case. But its hard to believe that it wouldnt follow him wherever he might go.) I would assume that most of the players will wait and see what comes about from this before leaving.
3. There may be more firings including assistant coaches as this progresses.
4. Possibly an NCAA investigation into the fact there was a cover up due to the Penn State problem and there new zero tolerance on these types of things.

All of these whether true or not are an embarrassing and will probably lead to a self imposed ban from the playoffs or some sort of NCAA ban including loss of Schollys.

bluehenbillk
March 29th, 2012, 01:36 PM

Correct they'd have to burn their redshirt year & forfeit any hope of getting a 6th year medical redshirt possibility as well.

bluehenbillk
March 29th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I'm hearing there were a lot of anonymous tips being called into the office of the President at UM from phone numbers in the western part of North Carolina. Fess up AppState fans.

Apphole
March 29th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I'm hearing there were a lot of anonymous tips being called into the office of the President at UM from phone numbers in the western part of North Carolina. Fess up AppState fans.

Not me. I am really bummed that the bear will be limping into the Rock this year. Also very scary to see a fellow powerhouse go down this road.

asumike83
March 29th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I would hate to see Montana bring a crippled team to Boone. A game as anticipated as this one should see both teams at full strength. Not that we've been free of our own off-field issues either, so hopefully when the dust clears we'll still have a heavyweight bout on our hands.

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Despite problems at Montana..I and all UND fans are cannot wait to see the Griz this fall in Grand Forks.

knucklehead
March 29th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I feel tyhe same as a Liberty fan. We finally get a change to go to Montana and take on a power with a great history. We want a chance to play and hopefully beat them at full strenght not depleted. I think it's a bad thing all the way around whether you are a Griz fan or not. Sad.

Sam_Kats
March 29th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Ruh roh.

Silenoz
March 29th, 2012, 02:06 PM
9/1 South Dakota TBA
9/8 @ Appalachian State TBA
9/15 Liberty TBA Hall of Fame Game
9/22 Northern Arizona * TBA Homecoming
9/29 @ Eastern Washington * TBA
10/6 @ Northern Colorado * TBA
10/13 Southern Utah * TBA Pink Game
10/20 @ North Dakota * TBA
10/27 Idaho State * TBA Military Appreciation Game
11/3 @ Weber State * TBA
11/17 Montana State * TBA 112th Meeting

Over/under 4 wins?

knucklehead
March 29th, 2012, 02:09 PM
How do you guess that any way but over until we see how many players leave? I say over.

asumike83
March 29th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Over/under 4 wins?

Way over, barring some serious player deflections because of this.

Uncle Rico's Clan
March 29th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Over/under 4 wins?

As of this second I say over, the two scariest games are still at App and at ewu. I thought the same thing yesterday before I heard this news, and unless we have a mass exodus we still have a lot of talent.

KNUTS
March 29th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I see this going 1 of 2 ways. Either the firing of Oday and Pflu and a self imposed loss of a couple schollys and maybe a post season ban is deemed good enough by the NCAA or we might be battling Carroll for the Frontier Conference Title in a few years...

I dont see many kids leaving unless this gets REALLY bad. They picked this school for the atmosphere and institution as much as for the coach who recruited him.

Uncle Rico's Clan
March 29th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I see this going 1 of 2 ways. Either the firing of Oday and Pflu and a self imposed loss of a couple schollys and maybe a post season ban is deemed good enough by the NCAA or we might be battling Carroll for the Frontier Conference Title in a few years...

I dont see many kids leaving unless this gets REALLY bad. They picked this school for the atmosphere and institution as much as for the coach who recruited him.

I think based on the decisions the university made today, we appear to be making an attempt to clean house, which in the eyes of the NCAA would be a bid deal. Unless more comes out and this s**t storm gets worse I think the Griz can survive this.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 29th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I think based on the decisions the university made today, we appear to be making an attempt to clean house, which in the eyes of the NCAA would be a bid deal. Unless more comes out and this s**t storm gets worse I think the Griz can survive this.

The Griz will survive this just fine. There may be some more things to fill in the blanks and so forth. There may be a redux in wins next season.

That doesn't mean **** to me if we are making a move to stop this program from being an embarrassment

The teams we play will have a game on their hands, they will have the same raucous crowd, and all the other things that Griz football brings.

This is a powerful statement to new hires at UM.

Football is important but those with the keys in their grasp for the time being better take real good care of things.

Got a feeling we may see more of a task master style in the near future.

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 02:45 PM
The Griz will survive this just fine. There may be some more things to fill in the blanks and so forth. There may be a redux in wins next season.

That doesn't mean **** to me if we are making a move to stop this program from being an embarrassment

The teams we play will have a game on their hands, they will have the same raucous crowd, and all the other things that Griz football brings.

This is a powerful statement to new hires at UM.

Football is important but those with the keys in their grasp for the time being better take real good care of things.

Got a feeling me may see more of a task master style in the near future.

People at UND won't take this or any Big Sky game lightly. Montana has too much of a rep of being an extremely tough team. And the crowd for the UND/UM game will be packed to the ceiling.

ALPHAGRIZ1
March 29th, 2012, 02:50 PM
There is more to come, I am hearing that some players are going to be asked to leave and that there are at least 4 other players involved with sexual assault cases that nobody has heard about yet. There is another guy on maroonblood saying the same thing so considering who I get my info from..........this has legs.............

ASUG8
March 29th, 2012, 03:03 PM
The Griz will be fine, with maybe a bit of a rocky start as the coaching staff gets their feet back under them. They may not be NC contenders in '12, but they'll recover just fine. Like someone else said, App, GSU, JMU, etc. are some of the higher profile teams in FCS and haven't been without their problems within the administration, off the field, or both. The solid programs ferret out the problems and take care of them quickly or suffer the consequences with coaching/admin turnover and subsequent recruiting problems. The Griz are doing the right thing even if it hurts them in the short term.

FargoBison
March 29th, 2012, 03:11 PM
NDSU had some major issues in 2009, multiple players were kicked off the team and we went 3-8. Then Bohl dropped the zero tolerance hammer and we have been pretty successful since with just a few very minor off the field incidents.

Montana is doing the right thing, they need to clean house and right the ship. There might be short term pain but Montana is a strong program, they'll bounce back.

KNUTS
March 29th, 2012, 03:13 PM
There is more to come, I am hearing that some players are going to be asked to leave and that there are at least 4 other players involved with sexual assault cases that nobody has heard about yet. There is another guy on maroonblood saying the same thing so considering who I get my info from..........this has legs.............

Not surprised you know the guy at maroonblood, you would hang out with a guy like that...xcoffeex

ursus arctos horribilis
March 29th, 2012, 03:20 PM

I was pretty sure that the axe would continue to swing and players were gonna be asked to exit because this **** is gonna come down hard anyway so why not take care of all business right now and move forward. I didn't want to jump the gun on darell's LOI question but some of those guys will be seeing the field sooner in this situation as it stands now.

At this point I can't imagine there will be any sort of looking the other way on anything current or outstanding going forward.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 29th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Not surprised you know the guy at maroonblood, you would hang out with a guy like that...xcoffeex

and so would you and I.

frozennorth
March 29th, 2012, 04:35 PM
montana will go 7-4 instead of 9-2 this year

ursus arctos horribilis
March 29th, 2012, 04:43 PM

I could see either one coming to fruition and I'd be OK with it. I'd be more OK with 9 of course. I don't live and die by the loss column and I particularly won't this season.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 29th, 2012, 04:52 PM
KPAX interview w/Pflu

http://www.kpax.com/videos/extended-interview-robin-pflugrad-discusses-dismissal/

344Johnson
March 29th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Over/under 4 wins?

over.

I'll give them 8-3....barring everyone jumping ship. I bet the Cats fans are just loving life in Bozeman right now.

CrazyCat
March 29th, 2012, 05:54 PM
over.

I'll give them 8-3....barring everyone jumping ship. I bet the Cats fans are just loving life in Bozeman right now.

Sure, I'm loving life, not because of this though. Having gone through a similar chain of events. I wouldn't wish this on any program.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 29th, 2012, 05:59 PM
over.

Probably some. Couldn't blame em' a bit either because there were a lot of holier than thou asswipes from Grizland pointing fingers when the **** came down with Kramer. I wasn't one of them but am associated so we'll have to take the beating and the schadenfreude over it.

clenz
March 29th, 2012, 05:59 PM
With the rumors of 5-10 players being kicked off the team...including JJ....I'll go under 6.5

KNUTS
March 29th, 2012, 06:12 PM
We are going to have to change our Video... The pride and tradition of the Montana Grizzlies will not be entrusted to the liars and rapists.

Too soon?

344Johnson
March 29th, 2012, 06:16 PM
With the rumors of 5-10 players being kicked off the team...including JJ....I'll go under 6.5

sucks for them. Truly, I wish this would have happened after next season. I was looking forward to seeing them thump the folks up in Grand Forks this fall. Your assessment of under 6.5 seems reasonable if they are losing that many players.

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 06:30 PM

I hope one of the 4 is UND.:D

Wildcat80
March 29th, 2012, 06:52 PM
A sad day for all college football fans. Hopefully the guilty pay the price.

ALPHAGRIZ1
March 29th, 2012, 07:10 PM
We are going to have to change our Video... The pride and tradition of the Montana Grizzlies will not be entrusted to the liars and rapists.

Too soon?

Its NEVER too soon for that kind of gold........................

DJKyR0
March 29th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Holy smokes. I apologize for ever doubting you, AlphaGriz.

PAllen
March 29th, 2012, 10:14 PM
All I can say is, it's a good thing Mr. O'Day didn't re-tweet anything that could have been considered a racial slur or there would have been real consequences.

Cleets
March 29th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I'm a Montana fan but holier than thou - my **** don't stink - O'Day getting fired made me laugh out loud
And to be clear - Montana Football was being run like the University of Miami circa 1991

putter
March 29th, 2012, 11:37 PM

Too soon?

Tip of the hat...that was funny. I am just wondering, other than JJ, who the players are that will be asked to clean out their lockers?

asumike83
March 29th, 2012, 11:49 PM
That Johnson kid is a good quarterback, I was actually looking forward to seeing him in person when y'all come to Boone. Is it a definite that he is not going to be back?

Mr. C
March 29th, 2012, 11:55 PM
So does this mean we will be seeing Joe Montana in Boone?

Cleets
March 29th, 2012, 11:57 PM
That Johnson kid is a good quarterback, I was actually looking forward to seeing him in person when y'all come to Boone. Is it a definite that he is not going to be back?

He might be in jail...
But other than that - it's really a coin flip - him or Montana

xlolx

LakesBison
March 30th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Grizz.grizz.grizz really? Argh

T-Dog
March 30th, 2012, 01:13 AM
At this point, Dr Engstrom can't half-*** this change. He can't just hire a new coach, talk up his disciplinary style and call it a day. He needs to actively change the culture in Missoula.

Maybe it doesn't need that much change and this was all a group of players who thought they were above the law and had a coach who didn't micro-manage. Maybe a no-tolerance policy with a new coach and AD will be the end of it. However the perception is that the Montana Griz football program is out of control and the culture is that of complete entitlement. He basically announced that to the public by firing his AD and HFC in this manner. He needs to rebuild trust with the different communities (students, boosters, locals, fans, faculty, etc) and that will take time and results. He can't just sit at his desk with his dick in his hand and hope it'll change itself.

OB55
March 30th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Apparently it was time to clean house, and the house is cleaned. The new recruits will largely show up next fall, I seriously doubt many have scads of back-up offers from other universities that have also finished recruiting, and filled their schollys..

It will be interesting to see what direction they go with regards to ultimately filling the head spot, but the sooner the better.

I am agreeing with ursus here, the program is bigger than these individuals, and it looks like somebody has stepped up to lead here.

danefan
March 30th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Congrats on making the inside page of the Wall Street Journal today!

Yote 53
March 30th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Kinda wierd that the first game next season for the Griz is against their former coach Joe Glenn and South Dakota. I'm giving the Yotes a good shot at winning this one now. And no, I don't care if a potential USD win comes against a less than full strength Montana program. A win is a win is a win. You take 'em when you can get 'em.

ASUMountaineer
March 30th, 2012, 09:37 AM
KPAX interview w/Pflu

http://www.kpax.com/videos/extended-interview-robin-pflugrad-discusses-dismissal/

I'm glad to see that dealership commercials are as bad out west as they are here on the right coast. xlolx

FarSouthBison
March 30th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Do they have a Asst. that can step up and take over the Head Coaching spot?

Cleets
March 30th, 2012, 10:38 AM
At this point, Dr Engstrom can't half-*** this change. He can't just hire a new coach, talk up his disciplinary style and call it a day. He needs to actively change the culture in Missoula.

Maybe it doesn't need that much change and this was all a group of players who thought they were above the law and had a coach who didn't micro-manage. Maybe a no-tolerance policy with a new coach and AD will be the end of it. However the perception is that the Montana Griz football program is out of control and the culture is that of complete entitlement. He basically announced that to the public by firing his AD and HFC in this manner. He needs to rebuild trust with the different communities (students, boosters, locals, fans, faculty, etc) and that will take time and results. He can't just sit at his desk with his dick in his hand and hope it'll change itself.

This is a good post ^

LakesBison
March 30th, 2012, 11:23 AM
YOTES will not beat Montana. no one in the dakota's will ever beat montana EXCEPT NDSU.

Montana will still be #1 or #2 in the big sky year in and year out.

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Kinda wierd that the first game next season for the Griz is against their former coach Joe Glenn and South Dakota. I'm giving the Yotes a good shot at winning this one now. And no, I don't care if a potential USD win comes against a less than full strength Montana program. A win is a win is a win. You take 'em when you can get 'em.

Starting this fall you need 7 of them. Good luck on your playoff hunt, I hope our teams can meet up there.

jmufan999
March 30th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Sorry to hear about this, Griz. I know it sucks when you have off-the-field stuff happen. It will get better, I'm sure you'll find great replacements.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 11:43 AM

Your coach is one of my favorite people I've ever met/known. He is just a ball of fun with the fans and has a great demeanor with his kids. He has just the right amount of fire in his belly to let kids know when he speaks they oughta listen.

His very genuine and a very good coach. I know he will not relish playing his old team because he cares for the people in every place he's been and wants good things for them. He did not playing Northern Colorado when he was here either. That does not stop him from finding your weaknesses and taking you down though. I don't relish the idea of having him on the opposing sideline.

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Your coach is one of my favorite people I've ever met/known. He is just a ball of fun with the fans and has a great demeanor with his kids. He has just the right amount of fire in his belly to let kids know when he speaks they oughta listen.

His very genuine and a very good coach. I know he will not relish playing his old team because he cares for the people in every place he's been and wants good things for them. He did not playing Northern Colorado when he was here either. That does not stop him from finding your weaknesses and taking you down though. I don't relish the idea of having him on the opposing sideline.

When did he coach at Montana??

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 11:45 AM
YOTES will not beat Montana. no one in the dakota's will ever beat montana EXCEPT NDSU.

Lakes, I appreciate the props but in all seriousness I give us no more than a coin flip chance in any game this year and that is if the bounces go our way. The new infrastructure will likely be there but the full product is gonna take some time cure.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 11:47 AM
When did he coach at Montana??

The last time we won a NC, just a couple years after he had a back to backer at UNC in D2.

darell1976
March 30th, 2012, 11:48 AM
The last time we won a NC, just a couple years after he had a back to backer at UNC in D2.

Should cause for exciting things at USD. He is a good coach, UND had lots of problems against Glenn at UNC in DII.

BisonBacker
March 30th, 2012, 11:53 AM

http://hockeytownusa.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/brick-loud-noises-b-1.jpg?w=550&h=289

Yote 53
March 30th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Coach Glenn has really sparked some fire in the players in spring camp this year. You can already tell the difference, not that the players didn't like playing for Meierkort, they did, it's just different. Really looking forward to this coming season.

LakesBison
March 30th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Montana, Montana State #1 & #2 in the big sky, come September 1st, no one will remember PFLU & O'day.

Longhorn
March 30th, 2012, 12:11 PM
The Griz will be fine, with maybe a bit of a rocky start as the coaching staff gets their feet back under them. They may not be NC contenders in '12, but they'll recover just fine. Like someone else said, App, GSU, JMU, etc. are some of the higher profile teams in FCS and haven't been without their problems within the administration, off the field, or both. The solid programs ferret out the problems and take care of them quickly or suffer the consequences with coaching/admin turnover and subsequent recruiting problems. The Griz are doing the right thing even if it hurts them in the short term.

Excuse me, but "problems within the administration" at JMU? No. That's wildly incorrect. NO ADs or FB coaches have been fired at JMU for improper behavior. Tell your own story, but leave other programs out of it.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Coach Glenn has really sparked some fire in the players in spring camp this year. You can already tell the difference, not that the players didn't like playing for Meierkort, they did, it's just different. Really looking forward to this coming season.

That is exactly it. He has a way of motivating that just brings excitement to the players. They want very badly to do things right and make him happy with the effort.

bluehenbillk
March 30th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Obviously I know about Johnson, but how many of the 8 players that got the boot out of school were starters?

asumike83
March 30th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Excuse me, but "problems within the administration" at JMU? No. That's wildly incorrect. NO ADs or FB coaches have been fired at JMU for improper behavior. Tell your own story, but leave other programs out of it.

No AD's for FB coaches have been fired at App for improper behavior either. Hence the reason he said problems within the administration, off the field OR both. JMU has had their share of off-field problems, just as App and Montana have. He was simply pointing out that this is not uncommon among the higher profile FCS programs and they will overcome it. So sensitive.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Montana, Montana State #1 & #2 in the big sky, come September 1st, no one will remember PFLU & O'day.

Possible Lakes but this **** doesn't just happen magically so to me the enthusiasm has to be turned down just a bit and expectations realigned slightly. That way if something better comes about I can relish it at that point but if Montana fans take your level of expectation then they are just setting themselves up for a fall and I will point and laugh at them for not living in a reality based environment.

I'll call this place Lakestown.

But I will hope you are correct on the matter.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 12:21 PM
No AD's for FB coaches have been fired at App for improper behavior either. Hence the reason he said problems within the administration, off the field OR both. JMU has had their share of off-field problems, just as App and Montana have. He was simply pointing out that this is not uncommon among the higher profile FCS programs and they will overcome it. So sensitive.

I didn't see how missed that point either. G8 was fairly clear & correct in his statement.

Longhorn
March 30th, 2012, 12:32 PM

That's not what he wrote, so your spinning it. What he wrote was...as I quoted it...inaccurate.

asumike83
March 30th, 2012, 12:36 PM
That's not what he wrote, so your spinning it. What he wrote was...as I quoted it...inaccurate.

I actually wrote exactly what he posted, word for word. A very accurate statement and I'm really not sure how that could possibly be seen as a dig at JMU or anyone else. It's just the way it is.

Like someone else said, App, GSU, JMU, etc. are some of the higher profile teams in FCS and haven't been without their problems within the administration, off the field, or both.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 12:38 PM

WTF are you talking about Longhorn? You saying that statement is incorrect?

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Ah, I'll let you make the point mike since he apparently is not seeing what we are both seeing in the comment.xlolx

Silenoz
March 30th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Obviously I know about Johnson, but how many of the 8 players that got the boot out of school were starters?
We don't actually know if anyone has gotten the boot yet, including Johnson

Uncle Rico's Clan
March 30th, 2012, 12:55 PM

Right now, no one knows how many, or who has left, or will leave the program. FWIW, Pflu was quoted as saying he expects JJ to remain with the Griz. This is one of those situations where we will just need to wait and see what happens. I'm hoping we have a better idea when spring ball resumes April 9th after spring break.

ASUG8
March 30th, 2012, 01:38 PM

Calm down Francis. I didn't say "JMU has had problems in their administration." It's one, the other, or both. Try to reread it with your big boy pants on this time. Some of you guys have your sensitivity turned to eleven for some reason. xeyebrowx

Cleets
March 30th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Right now, no one knows how many, or who has left, or will leave the program. FWIW, Pflu was quoted as saying he expects JJ to remain with the Griz. This is one of those situations where we will just need to wait and see what happens. I'm hoping we have a better idea when spring ball resumes April 9th after spring break.

Yeah sure... okay
but between now and when we actually know - lets all make up a bunch of stories..!!!! (that's way more fun)

ASUMountaineer
March 30th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Calm down Francis. I didn't say "JMU has had problems in their administration." It's one, the other, or both. Try to reread it with your big boy pants on this time. Some of you guys have your sensitivity turned to eleven for some reason. xeyebrowx

xlolx Go get 'em G8.

KNUTS
March 30th, 2012, 02:23 PM

At first I was thinking that spring break was just what the Griz needed but then I remembered what spring break entails: scantily clad and loose women, drugs, and alcohol. Now I'm just nervous!!

THE DANIMAL
March 30th, 2012, 02:43 PM
At first I was thinking that spring break was just what the Griz needed but then I remembered what spring break entails: scantily clad and loose women, drugs, and alcohol. Now I'm just nervous!!

xlolxxlolxxlolx

Uncle Rico's Clan
March 30th, 2012, 03:40 PM

The worst part is that everyone thinks the head coach of a football team is supposed to babysit every player, every minute of the day. With no head coach these guys are going to have free reign to go crazy!

KNUTS
March 30th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Letter from the Montana Football team

http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/033012aaa.html

KNUTS
March 30th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I also see that O'day has lawyered up!!

Fritz Neighbor ‏ @Fritz_Neighbor
Recently fired #Griz AD Jim O'Day has retained the law firm Edwards (as in Cliff), Frickle and Culver. Interesting.

Uncle Rico's Clan
March 30th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Letter from the Montana Football team

http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/033012aaa.html

I like this, I hope the whole situation unifies the team and they become stronger and better.

Uncle Rico's Clan
March 30th, 2012, 04:12 PM

Recently fired #Griz AD Jim O'Day has retained the law firm Edwards (as in Cliff), Frickle and Culver. Interesting.

For those who don't know, Cliff Edwards is the father of John Edwards who quarterbacked the Griz to the 2001 Chipper.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I like this, I hope the whole situation unifies the team and they become stronger and better.

That is what I have been hoping would come out of this as well. An accountability by each of the players to their teammates both on the field and off will be a great start on this path.

They did a real nice job on the letter I thought. Thanks for posting it KNUTS.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 04:19 PM
For those who don't know, Cliff Edwards is the father of John Edwards who quarterbacked the Griz to the 2001 Chipper.

More importantly in this matter though is that he was Kramer's representative in that suit against MSU.

Cleets
March 30th, 2012, 04:19 PM

For one reason only:
To keep his three year extension money - in case they try to claim he broke the code of conduct and not pay... The End

KNUTS
March 30th, 2012, 04:35 PM

Also a huge booster and single donor of the nice sprint turf we got back when it wasnt common to have!

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Also a huge booster and single donor of the nice sprint turf we got back when it wasnt common to have!

He will win the case against UM and then promptly donate the pay off.

It'll go something like this...

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/funny-gifs-i-got-this.gif

then move into this phase...

http://cdn.lulztruck.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/I-Got-This-.gif

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Mick Delaney interim coach, Jean Gee interim AD.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Mick Delaney:
http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/bios/?b=1713&m=37

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Jean Gee:
http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/bios/?b=1241&m=0

Uncle Rico's Clan
March 30th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Those choices seem like a solid decision for the interim basis.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Those choices seem like a solid decision for the interim basis.

True enough. Mick ain't gonna want it for long I don't imagine since he just recently retired.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 06:05 PM
More on the moves.

http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/033012aab.html

Mr. C
March 30th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Jean Gee:
http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/bios/?b=1241&m=0

Ursus, do you think there is a PC/Image reason for appointing Gee as the interim AD?

ursus arctos horribilis
March 30th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Ursus, do you think there is a PC/Image reason for appointing Gee as the interim AD?

I don't think it hurt.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 30th, 2012, 10:21 PM
I picked a great time to move to Montana. The local banter over this has been great! xpopcornx

bobcathpdevil56
March 31st, 2012, 07:41 PM
These situations are always crappy. I know that during the Kramer incident in bozeman there was alot more going on behind the scenes than anybody outside of the program knew about. Athletes being told to cover things up and other things that were not good for a program. So we may never knew all the info, but i think a president of a university does not make this decision lightly.

citdog
March 31st, 2012, 07:50 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-orfQAfHxvw4/Tt-KH4KXhzI/AAAAAAAABoA/OmUHKGW7O1g/s1600/DagwoodSandwich.jpg