PDA

View Full Version : Georgia State: Informal Discussions with Sunbelt

Pages : [1] 2 3

whitey
March 28th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Georgia State is one of the leading candidates to receive an invitation from the Sun Belt, college football industry sources told CBSSports.com's Brett McMurphy and Tony Barnhart.

The Sun Belt is strongly considering extending an invitation to Georgia State and the parties have had informal discussions. An invitation could occur in the coming weeks with Georgia State a possibility to be added to the league as early as 2013, sources said.

Source (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18111920/georgia-state-possible-addition-for-sun-belt).

Should Georgia State move to the Sunbelt as being rumored that will leave the CAA with 9 football playing schools. However, Georgia State's departure in addition to the possible rumored departures for VCU and George Mason to the A-10 could mean the death of the CAA. But I don't see that happening given the new NBC Sports TV deal. So it's likely lower mid-majors will be poached to re-stock the CAA. Stony Brook and Coastal could be possible targets in that scenario. Is it also possible for the CAA to attempt to poach a couple of SoCon teams on the strength of the CAA's new deal with NBC Sports and better basketball (which of course would take a hit with VCU/GMU potentially leaving)?

NHwildEcat
March 28th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I would love SBU...there needs to be more northern expansion. My wish list also includes Albany as well. Something has got to give. At the same time we knew Georgia State was only making a pit stop when they started up that football program...so this isn't surprising.

Professor Chaos
March 28th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I would guess the CAA could make a play at Youngstown St. It's a bit out of the footprint but no more so than Georgia St was in the first place. Youngstown is an outlier to the east in the MVFC and one of the schools against the addition of the Dakota schools for that reson. With Bulter leaving the Horizon the CAA would be a step up for them in the other big revenue sport (men's basketball).

eaglewraith
March 28th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Well, if the CAA didn't already hate Ga State, it should be even worse now. Have yet to play a game in the conference and already leaving. Man.

Gonna be a fun year this year for them.

whitey
March 28th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Yeah, Youngstown could be a possibility as well. They'd only be about 350 miles or less from JMU, Delaware, Villanova and Towson for football. Drexel for basketball. Youngstown would not help the CAA RPI when it comes to basketball but if GMU and VCU do leave the RPI is getting slaughtered anyway.

aceinthehole
March 28th, 2012, 03:36 PM
The CAA is not in any real danger because they are going to have more than enough choices to replace any school(s) that leave, however they are going to take a huge hit in hoops if Mason and VCU bolt for the A-10 and there are not any real good options to fix the RPI.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 28th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Was Brett McMurphy turned down at Delaware or something?

Mountaineer#96
March 28th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Well, if the CAA didn't already hate Ga State, it should be even worse now. Have yet to play a game in the conference and already leaving. Man.

Gonna be a fun year this year for them.

pretty much what everyone already said about GaState............not in it for long run go with someone else, I guess the CAA took the bait and now they are moving out in year zero....

PaladinFan
March 28th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Source (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18111920/georgia-state-possible-addition-for-sun-belt).

Should Georgia State move to the Sunbelt as being rumored that will leave the CAA with 9 football playing schools. However, Georgia State's departure in addition to the possible rumored departures for VCU and George Mason to the A-10 could mean the death of the CAA. But I don't see that happening given the new NBC Sports TV deal. So it's likely lower mid-majors will be poached to re-stock the CAA. Stony Brook and Coastal could be possible targets in that scenario. Is it also possible for the CAA to attempt to poach a couple of SoCon teams on the strength of the CAA's new deal with NBC Sports and better basketball (which of course would take a hit with VCU/GMU potentially leaving)?

Intersting indeed.

I think the only way to get any SoCon schools is to get a couple of SoCon schools. I don't think you would see Wofford, Furman, Davidson, or the Charleston schools break rank. I can get a life sized picture of those schools leaving en masse, though, to rekindle former rivalries with "like minded" universities William & Mary and Richmond.

The SoCon strikes me as the healthiest conference in the FCS. Since 1968 and the departure of West Virginia, the SoCon has lost only Marshall, ECU, VMI, and East Tennessee. I think it would be a tough sell for one of the SoCon schools to make more or less a lateral move on their own.

GA St. MBB Fan
March 28th, 2012, 07:49 PM
pretty much what everyone already said about GaState............not in it for long run go with someone else, I guess the CAA took the bait and now they are moving out in year zero....

Took the bait? We were members of the CAA before we even initiated our football feasibility study to start our FB team.

dgtw
March 28th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I thought the Sun Belt didn't take call-ups from the FCS. Or do they make exceptions for schools in huge media markets?

Tuscon
March 28th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I thought the Sun Belt didn't take call-ups from the FCS. Or do they make exceptions for schools in huge media markets?

They publicly said they'd rather not, but it appears the CUSA raid threat was bad enough. Georgia State in the Sun Belt just makes too much sense. Everyone knows we didn't really belong in the CAA. A case of one of these things is not like the other. We keep the Sun Belt footprint tight, deliver a media market, and will soon produce on the field. We'll be 1 of just 3 FBS schools in the largest state east of the Mississippi. I have a feeling recruiting will be a-ok.

Tuscon
March 28th, 2012, 11:20 PM
We also provide Sun Belt schools with more opportunity to play in front of Georgia recruits. I can't help but think that moved things into our favor as well.

BlueHenSinfonian
March 29th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Everyone knows we didn't really belong in the CAA.

True, success in the CAA has been hard to come by, in the Sun Belt GA State might be competitive.

We'll be 1 of just 3 FBS schools in the largest state east of the Mississippi.

Assuming you mean in the south east of the Mississippi, and in which case FL is still larger by area and population.

ChooChoo
March 29th, 2012, 01:43 AM
True, success in the CAA has been hard to come by, in the Sun Belt GA State might be competitive.

Assuming you mean in the south east of the Mississippi, and in which case FL is still larger by area and population.

Its a matter of interpertation. GA is larger in land area than FL, which was how I was taught and learned it in grade school. Now most sources say FL is larger because most sources now include water in the total area number. FL has many, many lakes. So that's that.

Almost forgot....I'm as happy as a little girl http://img.waffleimages.com/fd1611313e7b27ea60f5c197b42b87dcdec289b8/dieter5.jpg

The Eagle's Cliff
March 29th, 2012, 07:05 AM
It's a good move. State has much more in common with commuter school UAB than with Delaware, New Hampshire, Richmond, William & Mary, etc.

PaladinFan
March 29th, 2012, 08:13 AM

Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi (Florida is #2). Florida's population is probably three times Georgia's.

The Eagle's Cliff
March 29th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi (Florida is #2). Florida's population is probably three times Georgia's.

Florida has twice the population at nearly 20 million and both states are about 50% Yankee Occupied.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 29th, 2012, 08:51 AM
We keep the Sun Belt footprint tight, deliver a media market...

Excuse me while I wipe off all the coffee I spit out on my monitor. Yeah, sure. Atlanta is going to be hopping about the potential of Sun Belt football over the daily beat on UGA and Tech.

dgtw
March 29th, 2012, 08:53 AM
It's a good move. State has much more in common with commuter school UAB than with Delaware, New Hampshire, Richmond, William & Mary, etc.

UAB is actually in Conference-USA, or whatever the fustercluck will be when they decide what they are going to do in their arrangement with the Mountain West. They seem to be making things up as they go along, so who knows.

Georgia State was a charter member of the Sun Belt, serving as a member from 1976-1981. UAB joined the Sun Belt in 1979 and stayed until 1991.

This is probably a good move for the Sun Belt. It gets them in a major market in a city with a big airport. It will give them 11 football members, one more and they can have a title game nobody will care about unless their team is playing. They still have one non-football member in Arkansas-Little Rock, which I would kick out if I were them.

But, yes, Georgia State is a lot like UAB. A commuter school playing a distant third fiddle to two huge programs in a football mad state. A small but delusional fan base wondering why the world isn't bowing at their feet rather than going to see an SEC game.

SpeedkingATL
March 29th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Looks like a good fit for both GaState and the Sunbelt. Makes more sense than CAA. Now next up is UNCC.

asumike83
March 29th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Good for them. FBS was always the plan and the Sun Belt seems to be a good fit given their location and history with the conference. If they do well there, their market will make them a candidate for other conferences down the road as well.

henfan
March 29th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Florida has twice the population at nearly 20 million and both states are about 50% Yankee Occupied.

According to Native Americans and the rest of the world, Florida and the rest of the US are nearly 99.9% Yankee occupied. Even Eagle Gus is a Yank.

http://floppingaces.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/FlagDay.jpg

Georgia State's making a good move, IMO. They'd have a tough go of it competitively in the CAA and FCS.

They should be able to step into the Sun Belt and be competitive in FB at least within a few years, provided they can get rid of Curry in fairly short order. The SBC will also be a better conference for them travel-wise. Less travel should help them offset some of the financial losses they're going to incur with 44 additional equivalancies across their AD.

Ultimately, this will also be a good thing for the CAA. GSU didn't offer the conference much in terms of exposure in ATL. This will allow the CAA to reduce costs by adding a school from within the existing footprint and strengthen the FB league.

It's a win-win for all involved.xthumbsupx

Dane96
March 29th, 2012, 09:36 AM

Michigan
Florida
Wisconsin

ALL EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI; ALL LARGER THAN GEORGIA.

Heck, Michigan is almost double Georgia's size. Terrotorial boundaries include land and water. Now, going by land alone...which no one does (Imagine the argument, "Officer, I am not in Michigan because I am on the Detroit River") Georgia squeaks by Michigan.

WH49er
March 29th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Looks like a good fit for both GaState and the Sunbelt. Makes more sense than CAA. Now next up is UNCC.

Doubt it. It's likely either the Alliance or playing FCS until the next shake up.

PaladinFan
March 29th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Michigan
Florida
Wisconsin

ALL EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI; ALL LARGER THAN GEORGIA.

Heck, Michigan is almost double Georgia's size. Terrotorial boundaries include land and water. Now, going by land alone...which no one does (Imagine the argument, "Officer, I am not in Michigan because I am on the Detroit River") Georgia squeaks by Michigan.

Ok, let me clarify. Georgia is the largest politically defined land mass east of the Mississippi River. It also has better football.

MplsBison
March 29th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I would guess the CAA could make a play at Youngstown St. It's a bit out of the footprint but no more so than Georgia St was in the first place. Youngstown is an outlier to the east in the MVFC and one of the schools against the addition of the Dakota schools for that reson. With Bulter leaving the Horizon the CAA would be a step up for them in the other big revenue sport (men's basketball).

Not with VCU and Mason leaving. Horizon to CAA in bball would be lateral, then. But it would get them back with Delaware.

UNH Fanboi
March 29th, 2012, 10:18 AM
The CAA should make their decision easier and kick them out. Why should the conference waste it's time being their stepping stone?

superman7515
March 29th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Ok, let me clarify. Georgia is the largest politically defined land mass east of the Mississippi River.

Wouldn't that be Quebec?

Tuscon
March 29th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Holy god, this thread is so full of butt hurt. The CAA doesn't make sense because it is a Viriginia/Northern conference. The Sun Belt makes a lot more sense. Half these posts are about the size of Georgia. The point was, its a big f'ing state with lots of people and only two FBS schools. So way to split hairs like only a hater could.

PS. Thanks for the App State support. I honestly thought you guys were going first.

PaladinFan
March 29th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Wouldn't that be Quebec?

No. Asia.

TheRevSFA
March 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Just say that "Georgia is the most extensive state east of the Mississippi River in land area; however, Michigan, Florida, and Wisconsin are more extensive in total area, which includes expanses of water that are part of state territory"

Problem solved.

Tuscon
March 29th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Just say that "Georgia is the most extensive state east of the Mississippi River in land area; however, Michigan, Florida, and Wisconsin are more extensive in total area, which includes expanses of water that are part of state territory"

Problem solved.

Next time I'll remember that.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 29th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I thought it was a crack about Newt Gingrich's ego.

MplsBison
March 29th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Holy god, this thread is so full of butt hurt. The CAA doesn't make sense because it is a Viriginia/Northern conference. The Sun Belt makes a lot more sense. Half these posts are about the size of Georgia. The point was, its a big f'ing state with lots of people and only two FBS schools. So way to split hairs like only a hater could.

PS. Thanks for the App State support. I honestly thought you guys were going first.

Well for what it's worth, given GSU's football aspirations, market size and as you mention basically a lack of major college football in Atlanta other than UGA and GT - it absolutely makes sense to go to the Sun Belt.

Cocky
March 29th, 2012, 02:30 PM
My dad can whup your dad

Dane96
March 29th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Well for what it's worth, given GSU's football aspirations, market size and as you mention basically a lack of major college football in Atlanta other than UGA and GT - it absolutely makes sense to go to the Sun Belt.

OMG, I just laughed at an Mpls post, cause his sarcasm was spot on.

Hell = Frozen

LeadBolt
March 29th, 2012, 07:40 PM
The CAA should kick them out before the NCAA payment is due to the member schools. If necessary donate it to the SunBelt to extend Ga. St. an invite.

Tuscon
March 29th, 2012, 07:50 PM
The CAA should kick them out before the NCAA payment is due to the member schools. If necessary donate it to the SunBelt to extend Ga. St. an invite.

Yeah, donate it to speed this up. I like your thinking, buddy.

I am looking forward to being able to go to away games because they're not in Maine or Rhode Island. We'll get an upgrade to the type of recruits we get. We'll get more national exposure(even though we've already gotten quite a bit of that). We will play teams that everyday fans have heard of. It's crazy, I know. Onward and upward.

TheRevSFA
March 29th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Georgia State vs Louisiana-Monroe is going to just be a ratings boom.

Tuscon
March 29th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Georgia State vs Louisiana-Monroe is going to just be a ratings boom.

It's true it's not exactly SEC football, and that's ok. Do you realize I've still only heard of SFA because I come to this site? Literally the only time I've ever heard of you.

UNH Fanboi
March 29th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Yeah, donate it to speed this up. I like your thinking, buddy.

I am looking forward to being able to go to away games because they're not in Maine or Rhode Island. We'll get an upgrade to the type of recruits we get. We'll get more national exposure(even though we've already gotten quite a bit of that). We will play teams that everyday fans have heard of. It's crazy, I know. Onward and upward.

I wish no ill will against GSU, but I question what value they have to the conference. Why should we pay a couple hundred grand to play a few games against a team that will just move on in a couple of years? There are plenty of teams that want to be permanent members of the CAA. I'm sick of wasting our time with the FBs wannabes.

PaladinFan
March 30th, 2012, 06:47 AM
I've made this argument for years. The conception is that once you move to the FBS you are in the land of milk and honey. In reality, you move to an inferior conference in terms of talent (where every team is looking to move, by the way), the attendance numbers don't necessarily increase, TV opportunities are scarce if not non-existent, and once a year you go get your brains beat in by an SEC school.

It is screaming into the wind, though. Once a school's fanbase convinces itself that it belongs in the FBS, there's no convincing it otherwise.

Tribe4SF
March 30th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Intersting indeed.

I think the only way to get any SoCon schools is to get a couple of SoCon schools. I don't think you would see Wofford, Furman, Davidson, or the Charleston schools break rank. I can get a life sized picture of those schools leaving en masse, though, to rekindle former rivalries with "like minded" universities William & Mary and Richmond.

The SoCon strikes me as the healthiest conference in the FCS. Since 1968 and the departure of West Virginia, the SoCon has lost only Marshall, ECU, VMI, and East Tennessee. I think it would be a tough sell for one of the SoCon schools to make more or less a lateral move on their own.

You're forgetting W&M, and Richmond which were both in the SoCon for years.

TheRevSFA
March 30th, 2012, 07:12 AM
It's true it's not exactly SEC football, and that's ok. Do you realize I've still only heard of SFA because I come to this site? Literally the only time I've ever heard of you.

Do you realize that I heard of you guys AFTER I had heard of Georgia Southern? I know..interesting, isn't it.

Anyways, you'll have fun in the Sun Belt against those teams..half of which used to play in a conference with SFA.

LeadBolt
March 30th, 2012, 08:28 AM
You're forgetting W&M, and Richmond which were both in the SoCon for years.

Also, George Washington and Davidson left after that....

MplsBison
March 30th, 2012, 08:39 AM
OMG, I just laughed at an Mpls post, cause his sarcasm was spot on.

Hell = Frozen

Except I was being completely serious.

I'm one of the few people on this board who realizes that the Sun Belt, as a whole conference, plays higher quality football than any FCS conferences, as a whole.

That's simply the bottom line when you have all the schools in the Sun Belt providing more financial commitment to their teams than any FCS school does.

asumike83
March 30th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Also, George Washington and Davidson left after that....

George Washington left in 1970, 7 years before Richmond/W&M. Davidson has been in the SoCon since 1936 and remains in the conference for everything but football and field hockey. His year was off, but since 1977 the SoCon has only lost Marshall, VMI and ETSU. It is really splitting hairs but the point is that it's been a very stable conference overall. Losing only 3 members in 45 years is pretty solid.

MplsBison
March 30th, 2012, 08:40 AM

There's no point trying to convince people on a FCS board that FBS is the correct path for your team.

TheRevSFA
March 30th, 2012, 08:53 AM
There's no point trying to convince people on a FCS board that FBS is the correct path for your team.

The problem is that FBS is too diluted, and being in the Sun Belt, you have zero shot at any sort of national championship. You get to play in the R&L Carriers NOLA bowl and the godaddy.com bowl. Yep..those are high quality games.

Do I wish Georgia State good luck? Yep..I wish any school that jumps the best, but SoCon, MVFC, CAA..MOST years, has better quality football than the Sun Belt.

Apphole
March 30th, 2012, 08:53 AM

I'm one of the few people on this board who realizes that the Sun Belt, as a whole conference, plays higher quality football than any FCS conferences, as a whole.

That's simply the bottom line when you have all the schools in the Sun Belt providing more financial commitment to their teams than any FCS school does.

Its true. Especially lately. It's the "who gives a ****" that they fall behind a few FCS conferences.

TheRevSFA
March 30th, 2012, 08:56 AM

Remove ULM from that statement and you're probably spot on. They aren't getting any support...

asumike83
March 30th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I've made this argument for years. The conception is that once you move to the FBS you are in the land of milk and honey. In reality, you move to an inferior conference in terms of talent (where every team is looking to move, by the way), the attendance numbers don't necessarily increase, TV opportunities are scarce if not non-existent, and once a year you go get your brains beat in by an SEC school.

It is screaming into the wind, though. Once a school's fanbase convinces itself that it belongs in the FBS, there's no convincing it otherwise.

I just don't think you can make a blanket statement like that in regards to talent, TV and attendance. It all depends on the school and the conference. An FBS transition is the right move for some and a mistake for others.

In this case, I think GA State made the right move. They have been a Sun Belt member before and it actually reduces their overall travel relative to the CAA where they are a geographic outlier. Plus, the main reason they got the offer is due to their TV market so it's almost a certainty that all their games will be televised at least in the Atlanta metro area where they have a lot of alumni. The CAA got a nice TV deal recently but for GA State specifically, they will get to see more of their team's games than they would in the CAA. Making an FBS move that provides no regional rivalries, increased travel and the same or less TV availability for your fans is a bad move. That is not the case here, I think it was a smart decision on their part.

eaglewraith
March 30th, 2012, 08:58 AM

To some degree you're correct, but if the team can't afford it then it truly is NOT the correct path.

Tuscon
March 30th, 2012, 09:03 AM

Talent upgrade(Consistent 3 stars), attendance increase(how can you argue that average attendance is less than FCS teams?), TV Opportunities(Do you think the FCS gets MORE TV opps? You're nuts), beaten by an SEC school(And getting paid about $500k than you do for the same game). You're nuts, man. Everything you argued is backwards.

Do you realize that I heard of you guys AFTER I had heard of Georgia Southern? I know..interesting, isn't it.

Anyways, you'll have fun in the Sun Belt against those teams..half of which used to play in a conference with SFA.

Well, you ARE an FCS fan outside of Georgia and we only got a team two years ago. So there's that. How long has SFA been around?

I know. I guess I'm a masochist. Thanks for the support though.

LeadBolt
March 30th, 2012, 09:07 AM
GA State to the Sun Belt makes sense for them and the rest of the CAA as well. Hope it happens quickly.

Tuscon
March 30th, 2012, 09:14 AM
To some degree you're correct, but if the team can't afford it then it truly is NOT the correct path.

We can afford it. The feasibility study showed that we were already better in the finance department than most of the Sun Belt, and worse than C-USA.

Apphole
March 30th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Talent upgrade(Consistent 3 stars), attendance increase(how can you argue that average attendance is less than FCS teams?), TV Opportunities(Do you think the FCS gets MORE TV opps? You're nuts), beaten by an SEC school(And getting paid about $500k than you do for the same game). You're nuts, man.

I hate to support the UNCC of Georgia, but you're correct.

PF, you need to remove yourself from your FCS fan perspective to see the reality of FCS/FBS. I'm not saying it's necessarily a better place to be for any particular school that hasn't done an extensive study, but as far as talent, attendance, TV and $, FBS conferences are head and shoulders above FCS conferences. A few teams are exceptions (App/Montana ect vs ULM/Akron ect) but as far as overall conferences go, there is a very clear hierarchy. FBS suits App/GaSt/UNCC better than FCS as FCS suits Furman/fELon ect better than FBS. To each his own. Your milk and honey analogy just seems bitter.

eaglewraith
March 30th, 2012, 09:26 AM
We can afford it. The feasibility study showed that we were already better in the finance department than most of the Sun Belt, and worse than C-USA.

Wasn't specifically talking about you. He made a general comment as did I.

TheRevSFA
March 30th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Well, you ARE an FCS fan outside of Georgia and we only got a team two years ago. So there's that. How long has SFA been around?

You were the one attempting to throw stones first. I just pointed out that GA State vs ULM isn't going to be that great of a match.

Good news is that you can get that rivalry going with Troy.

seantaylor
March 30th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Georgia State will not be able to sustain any support unless they change the entire mission statement of the university. 40 year old housewives from Forsythe cannot support a team for any real amount of time.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 30th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I wish no ill will against GSU, but I question what value they have to the conference. Why should we pay a couple hundred grand to play a few games against a team that will just move on in a couple of years? There are plenty of teams that want to be permanent members of the CAA. I'm sick of wasting our time with the FBs wannabes.

The problem is that if you exile the FBS wannabees, you won't have a football conference anymore.

eaglewraith
March 30th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I hate to support the UNCC of Georgia, but you're correct.

PF, you need to remove yourself from your FCS fan perspective to see the reality of FCS/FBS. I'm not saying it's necessarily a better place to be for any particular school that hasn't done an extensive study, but as far as talent, attendance, TV and $, FBS conferences are head and shoulders above FCS conferences. A few teams are exceptions (App/Montana ect vs ULM/Akron ect) but as far as overall conferences go, there is a very clear hierarchy. FBS suits App/GaSt/UNCC better than FCS as FCS suits Furman/fELon ect better than FBS. To each his own. Your milk and honey analogy just seems bitter.

Attendance is debateable. I've seen issues with schools bumping up against the FBS attendance requirement if the NCAA ever decided to enforce it

Talent is all dependent I guess. Coaching, offensive/defensive philosphy, area can all affect that. That kid at FIU was fantastic last year and he was probably the best guy I've seen in that conference so far.

As for money....the potential is there. You have to get some concrete revenue streams in place. You can't count on the conference payout (especially in a non-BCS conference) as well as so-called "money" games. That money can disappear before it really exists. Also, the costs of going to a bowl can put your budget deep in the red, especially if you play in a city a long way away from your fanbase. The ticket allotment alone would kill you, not to mention the guarantees for minimum stays in the host town for your entire travel party, coaching bonuses, etc. It's a pricey business, and many schools require institutional support to keep up. Troy just turned down alcohol sales at games as a revenue generator, instead deciding to raise the student fees. I've read the Troy boards lately and many of their fans are complaining that they can't bring in enough money, they need more boosters, etc. Funny thing is that Troy has been really competitive in the Sunbelt since their transition but the money hasn't come pouring in.

It's a gamble definitely. The important thing is to make sure you're rolling the dice, not playing Russian Roullete. Some schools weren't ready to move up, and the fact they've been floundering at the bottom of FBS just shows that. I'm all for moving up if it can be done in a smart way. It's important to shut out the ones who shout that everything is going to be better instantly though.

The potential to be great is there, but a lot of things have to fall into the right spot.

Tuscon
March 30th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Georgia State will not be able to sustain any support unless they change the entire mission statement of the university. 40 year old housewives from Forsythe cannot support a team for any real amount of time.

You obviously haven't been downtown in Atlanta for a while so I'm going to let that slide. In the last 10 years or so there has been an effort to get more students on campus. The administration is trying to get away from the commuter school stigma. Football is part of that and housing is going up all the time. It's not going to just be a switch, but we're moving in the right direction.

ASUMountaineer
March 30th, 2012, 09:55 AM
The problem is that FBS is too diluted, and being in the Sun Belt, you have zero shot at any sort of national championship. You get to play in the R&L Carriers NOLA bowl and the godaddy.com bowl. Yep..those are high quality games.

Do I wish Georgia State good luck? Yep..I wish any school that jumps the best, but SoCon, MVFC, CAA..MOST years, has better quality football than the Sun Belt.

The mindset is different in FBS vs. FCS. In FBS, the postseason isn't important unless you're part of a select group of teams. Thus, the regular season is what's important.

Now, with that understanding you then have to determine if your conference mates provide a good enough regular season to justify a move. IMO, that's where the SunBelt is lacking for many FCS schools. Georgia State doesn't have much of that issue as they have no football rivals and no football history. They can start from scratch in the SunBelt and I think it's a good move for the other GSU.

Schools like ASU, the real GSU, JMU, etc. would want to get into a regional FBS conference that maintains some semblance of a good conference schedule with like-minded schools to foster rivalries. The SunBelt would probably not be the best situation for these schools. This is why so many ASU fans dream about joining the CAA to have the conference move en masse to FBS after dropping Richmond and W&M. (Essentially trading W&M and Richmond to the SoCon for ASU and the real GSU)

No one knows if this is a potential option or a pipe dream.

These ramblings brought to you by ASUMountaineer: not necessarily the smartest guy, but smart enough.

dgtw
March 30th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Won't there still be a lot of travel expenses in the Sun Belt? You won't have to go to Maine, but you still have to go to Miami (two teams there), North Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas. You could bus to Troy and MTSU and maybe WKU, but you'd still have to fly to a lot of places.

TheRevSFA
March 30th, 2012, 10:12 AM
they could probably bus to ULM...8 hour bus ride..

Tuscon
March 30th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Won't there still be a lot of travel expenses in the Sun Belt? You won't have to go to Maine, but you still have to go to Miami (two teams there), North Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas. You could bus to Troy and MTSU and maybe WKU, but you'd still have to fly to a lot of places.

South Alabama, Miami isn't much further than Richmond or Norfolk. I think we can bus that, I'm not positive though. I imagine Benson wants to get the count up to 12 and make divisions, making some of the far fetched western schools in Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas not an issue as we won't play them every year. So we're looking at a much more manageable schedule in terms of travel.

TheRevSFA
March 30th, 2012, 11:22 AM
What's the over/under on Benson running the Sun Belt into the ground much like he did with the WAC?

PaladinFan
March 30th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Attendance is debateable. I've seen issues with schools bumping up against the FBS attendance requirement if the NCAA ever decided to enforce it

Talent is all dependent I guess. Coaching, offensive/defensive philosphy, area can all affect that. That kid at FIU was fantastic last year and he was probably the best guy I've seen in that conference so far.

As for money....the potential is there. You have to get some concrete revenue streams in place. You can't count on the conference payout (especially in a non-BCS conference) as well as so-called "money" games. That money can disappear before it really exists. Also, the costs of going to a bowl can put your budget deep in the red, especially if you play in a city a long way away from your fanbase. The ticket allotment alone would kill you, not to mention the guarantees for minimum stays in the host town for your entire travel party, coaching bonuses, etc. It's a pricey business, and many schools require institutional support to keep up. Troy just turned down alcohol sales at games as a revenue generator, instead deciding to raise the student fees. I've read the Troy boards lately and many of their fans are complaining that they can't bring in enough money, they need more boosters, etc. Funny thing is that Troy has been really competitive in the Sunbelt since their transition but the money hasn't come pouring in.

It's a gamble definitely. The important thing is to make sure you're rolling the dice, not playing Russian Roullete. Some schools weren't ready to move up, and the fact they've been floundering at the bottom of FBS just shows that. I'm all for moving up if it can be done in a smart way. It's important to shut out the ones who shout that everything is going to be better instantly though.

The potential to be great is there, but a lot of things have to fall into the right spot.

Good analysis.

The hesitency is, I suppose, part of it. If it were a clear cut win-win deal, then schools should move up as quickly as possible. At the end of the day, you are guarnateed little else than a huge financial investment to have roughly the same return as staying in the conference in which you currently play.

Troy is a good example. Troy is in a state with two football behemoths. It is also the largest state school in Alabama. I've often referred to a "saturation point." No matter how good Troy is, they play in the same market as Auburn and Alabama. They have marquee NFL talent and no one cares (Demarcus Ware, for one). Simply put, Troy will never make enough money to reach the level they want to reach. The "die hard" Troy fans are going to come out whether the team is playing FCS or FBS. You'll never reach the market of folks who follow Auburn and Alabama, though. You can only get so big.

I see the same thing with the likes of GSU and App State. Great programs. Great fanbases. But there will come a time when the GSU/App fanbases will start rubbing up against UGA/UNC. They just aren't taking those fans away. They won't ever take those fans away. Sure, GSU could draw a couple more fans a game if they were FBS, but look at Marshall. They moved up, and their attendance stayed relatively the same. Why? Saturation point. The die hard Marshall fans were already in the stands when they were FCS. They simply do not have the market to compete with West Virginia. Their program can only get smaller.

Longhorn
March 30th, 2012, 12:30 PM
This is why so many ASU fans dream about joining the CAA to have the conference move en masse to FBS after dropping Richmond and W&M. (Essentially trading W&M and Richmond to the SoCon for ASU and the real GSU)

I'd vote for this.

asumike83
March 30th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I'd vote for this.

If the NCAA gave it the OK, I'd like nothing more than to do that as well.

carney2
March 30th, 2012, 12:53 PM
All of this yippety-yakking leaves me...zzzzzzzzzzzz. Georgia State, Georgia Southern...until recently I didn't know they were separate entities - and I still don't. The key here for someone who doesn't care if Georgia Whichever joins the Sun Belt, Orion's belt, or goes out to the still and has a belt, is that this is the first shoe to fall in the seemingly imminent restructuring of the CAA. What happens over the next few years will have a direct affect on the SoCon, the Big South, the Patriot League and the NEC, to name only four FCS conferences with a huge stake in this.

ASUMountaineer
March 30th, 2012, 01:12 PM
All of this yippety-yakking leaves me...zzzzzzzzzzzz. Georgia State, Georgia Southern...until recently I didn't know they were separate entities - and I still don't. The key here for someone who doesn't care if Georgia Whichever joins the Sun Belt, Orion's belt, or goes out to the still and has a belt, is that this is the first shoe to fall in the seemingly imminent restructuring of the CAA. What happens over the next few years will have a direct affect on the SoCon, the Big South, the Patriot League and the NEC, to name only four FCS conferences with a huge stake in this.

I don't believe anyone is saying otherwise. It seems all but certain, and a fairly easy conclusion to draw.

It sucks you took the time to read the "yippety-yakking" that is boring though, especially when you don't care. xlolx

Cocky
March 30th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Good analysis.

The hesitency is, I suppose, part of it. If it were a clear cut win-win deal, then schools should move up as quickly as possible. At the end of the day, you are guarnateed little else than a huge financial investment to have roughly the same return as staying in the conference in which you currently play.

Troy is a good example. Troy is in a state with two football behemoths. It is also the largest state school in Alabama. I've often referred to a "saturation point." No matter how good Troy is, they play in the same market as Auburn and Alabama. They have marquee NFL talent and no one cares (Demarcus Ware, for one). Simply put, Troy will never make enough money to reach the level they want to reach. The "die hard" Troy fans are going to come out whether the team is playing FCS or FBS. You'll never reach the market of folks who follow Auburn and Alabama, though. You can only get so big.

I see the same thing with the likes of GSU and App State. Great programs. Great fanbases. But there will come a time when the GSU/App fanbases will start rubbing up against UGA/UNC. They just aren't taking those fans away. They won't ever take those fans away. Sure, GSU could draw a couple more fans a game if they were FBS, but look at Marshall. They moved up, and their attendance stayed relatively the same. Why? Saturation point. The die hard Marshall fans were already in the stands when they were FCS. They simply do not have the market to compete with West Virginia. Their program can only get smaller.

When did Troy become the largest university in Alabama?

NHwildEcat
March 30th, 2012, 02:28 PM
When did Troy become the largest university in Alabama?

Dunno...but facts are facts...over 28K.

http://collegestats.org/colleges/alabama/largest

dgtw
March 30th, 2012, 03:11 PM
According to Wikipedia, they have 7,194 students on their main campus and 29,689 on all their campuses. Their website says they have campuses in Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, UAE and Vietnam. So, many of their students likely don't make it to very many games or even are aware they have a football team.

My Marching Southerner alum wife would wonder why anyone in any country would want to go there, but that's another story.

henfan
March 30th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Community College of the Air Force actually has the largest enrollment (324K+) of any institution of higher learning in AL. Nationally, they are only behind the University of Phoenix (532K+). Alas, neither are members of the Some Blech Conference.

Tuscon
March 30th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Community College of the Air Force actually has the largest enrollment (324K+) of any institution of higher learning in AL. Nationally, they are only behind the University of Phoenix (532K+). Alas, neither are members of the Some Blech Conference.

Considering every member of the Air Force is automatically enrolled in CCAF, that number means less. Also, the Air Force has a team. University of Phoenix is a for-profit college with most students attending online. Why would you even bring them up?

NHwildEcat
March 30th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Considering every member of the Air Force is automatically enrolled in CCAF, that number means less. Also, the Air Force has a team. University of Phoenix is a for-profit college with most students attending online. Why would you even bring them up?

I agree...U. of Phoenix should start up a program, they can play in the Pac-13 or whatever the number is up to...

Tuscon
March 30th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I agree...U. of Phoenix should start up a program, they can play in the Pac-13 or whatever the number is up to...

All the students could just get together and play NCAA 12 online I guess.

cbarrier90
March 30th, 2012, 05:46 PM

I disagree.

It's the experience you give fans on Saturdays that brings them back and helps grow the fanbase.

North Carolina is a basketball state with rarely, if ever, a contender in FBS football, save for an occasional December bowl game.

The reason ASU football has been so successful getting butts in the seats is because of the overall gameday experience. I would easily put it right there with the UNCs, NC States of the world, and that, ultimately, is the key. You must give the casual fan enough of an entertainment value so that fan decides to bypass watching one of the NC "Big Four" schools in favor of making a trip to Boone. The same goes for ECU, which, despite being an NC mid-major, leads C-USA in attendance.

Marshall could take some of the WV market if they could, you know, win once in awhile...

dgtw
March 30th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I wonder if the NCAA would allow the U of Phoenix to start an athletic program.

Suppose they recruited a full set of teams, hired coaches, etc. Achieved full Title IX compliance with the required number of sports for Division I. They had all the athletes come to Phoenix to live and had them take a full set of online classes every semester.

Would this pass muster with the NCAA?

Dane96
March 30th, 2012, 07:12 PM
NO.

NHwildEcat
March 30th, 2012, 11:41 PM
I wonder if the NCAA would allow the U of Phoenix to start an athletic program.

Suppose they recruited a full set of teams, hired coaches, etc. Achieved full Title IX compliance with the required number of sports for Division I. They had all the athletes come to Phoenix to live and had them take a full set of online classes every semester.

Would this pass muster with the NCAA?

The NCAA is in favor of anything so long as it helps fill their pockets and push their agenda.

Bogus Megapardus
March 30th, 2012, 11:57 PM
The reason ASU football has been so successful getting butts in the seats is because of the overall gameday experience. I would easily put it right there with the UNCs, NC States of the world, and that, ultimately, is the key. You must give the casual fan enough of an entertainment value so that fan decides to bypass watching one of the NC "Big Four" schools in favor of making a trip to Boone.

Plus, App State maintains academic integrity along with honest interscholastic congeniality and actual accessibility for students, alumni and local fans. This is why App State - along with my other favorite (non-Patriot/Ivy) FCS schools, Montana and North Dakota State - to me represent the best of college athletics.

BucBisonAtLarge
March 31st, 2012, 03:28 AM
Proposing Youngstown State shift to the CAA, at least for football, makes more sense as another Dakota trip has entered the conference. YSU would already be in the MAC if they wanted them, but schools like Kent and Akron, neighbors in northeast Ohio, have had parochial reasons (lousy fball routinely) for keeping another Division I state school out of the stodgy MAC. Orono, Maine is closer than four schools in the 2012 MVFC. Even a revived A-10/AE football conference, while making YSU again an outlier, could be arguably more compact a schedule.

The Horizon, if threatened, could save Chicago State from the Great West, but seems otherwise convenient for its members and even Butler's possible departure wouldn't likely cause much of a ripple. Green Bay is as far-flung as the Horizon gets, and Cleveland State makes a good travel partner for YSU, 60 miles away. The Horizon has TV markets like Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland and Milwaukee for its hoops.

Youngstown has thus far been a content member of the FCS, having the joined the Gateway, now MVFC, mostly out of scheduling self-defense, after years of success as an independent. Bogie was right-- there are places in the FCS, like Boone, Youngstown, and more than just a few more, where an awesome football experience can be had, in the company of 15-25,000 other folk. The FBS transition, particularly at the SunBelt level, is not so compelling as that Georgia Southern - ASU meeting each fall.

aceinthehole
March 31st, 2012, 05:49 AM
Plus, App State maintains academic integrity along with honest interscholastic congeniality and actual accessibility for students, alumni and local fans. This is why App State - along with my other favorite (non-Patriot/Ivy) FCS schools, Montana and North Dakota State - to me represent the best of college athletics.

Sure, you don't want to rethink that?

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 31st, 2012, 10:41 AM
Talent upgrade(Consistent 3 stars).

Moving to the Sun Belt should not be an upgrade for a CAA team. If you're in a top FCS conference and can't get the talent level to match the Sun Belt teams you won't be competitive.

Also, how many FCS All-Americans were "3 star" recruits in high school? Hint: not many.

Tuscon
March 31st, 2012, 10:40 PM
Moving to the Sun Belt should not be an upgrade for a CAA team. If you're in a top FCS conference and can't get the talent level to match the Sun Belt teams you won't be competitive.

Also, how many FCS All-Americans were "3 star" recruits in high school? Hint: not many.

I'm pretty sure that's true sometimes. The top of the CAA probably is nearly equal in talent. However, the talent level is consistently better across the Sun Belt. And, even if what you're saying is true, staying on equal talent footing while staying in a reasonable geographic footprint with a bit more cash seems like a good plan to me.

eaglemachine
April 2nd, 2012, 07:48 AM

Yes....yes you did :):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdXJmhAQxYE

henfan
April 2nd, 2012, 08:19 AM
...The top of the CAA probably is nearly equal in talent. However, the talent level is consistently better across the Sun Belt...

If not entirely true, then both statements are likely pretty close to it. The question remains though why conferences like the SBC, MAC & WAC aren't far and away the competitive superiors to the top FCS conferences?

IMO, if my school is making that substantial investment in 22 additional scholarships, coaching, recruiting and support, then they had better damn well be heads and shoulders above FCS schools and conferences and competing with top FBS conferences. If they aren't going to be competitive enough to compete for FB championships, I'd prefer that my school spend resources in areas where they can. Of course, everyone's priorities are different. For some, just being there is good enough; being awarded a certain classification is the pinnacle of success. More power to 'em.

NHwildEcat
April 2nd, 2012, 09:39 AM
If not entirely true, then both statements are likely pretty close to it. The question remains though why conferences like the SBC, MAC & WAC aren't far and away the competitive superiors to the top FCS conferences?

IMO, if my school is making that substantial investment in 22 additional scholarships, coaching, recruiting and support, then they had better damn well be heads and shoulders above FCS schools and conferences and competing with top FBS conferences. If they aren't going to be competitive enough to compete for FB championships, I'd prefer that my school spend resources in areas where they can. Of course, everyone's priorities are different. For some, just being there is good enough; being awarded a certain classification is the pinnacle of success. More power to 'em.

Everybody has a different motivating factor...some schools just strive for affiliation rather then progressive advancement.

PaladinFan
April 2nd, 2012, 10:35 AM

Agreed. If there is any advantage, it is in fresh legs, not talent. Twenty two scholarships makes a difference head to head.

Tuscon
April 2nd, 2012, 10:45 AM

I think it is more about where your ceiling lies. In the FCS, you can be a six time national champion and no one outside of Georgia/FCS fans have heard of you. Whereas, you look at schools like UCF, USF, FIU who are steadily moving forward, even without the national championships.

It's also been shown that the top of the FCS can sometimes compete with top level FBS talent, ie. App State vs Michigan. However, I'd much rather be Michigan.

TheRevSFA
April 2nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
I think it is more about where your ceiling lies. In the FCS, you can be a six time national champion and no one outside of Georgia/FCS fans have heard of you. Whereas, you look at schools like UCF, USF, FIU who are steadily moving forward, even without the national championships.

It's also been shown that the top of the FCS can sometimes compete with top level FBS talent, ie. App State vs Michigan. However, I'd much rather be Michigan.

Yet you don't hear about ULM, Idaho, Mid Tennessee State, FAU, WKU etc..when it comes to football because they aren't moving forward.

henfan
April 2nd, 2012, 11:21 AM

That's just it. Few will ever be able to approach schools like Michigan in terms of national brand identity. App State won't, nor will Georgia State, Delaware nor any of the Florida acronyms you introduced; some of it related to athletics but most not.

IMO, too many schools waste valuable resources on labels for which they are never going to recoup equitable benefits. That said, it is their prerogative and right to do that. I just think we need not pretend that the FBS label is some kind of magic Powerball ticket that's going to propel most schools to national name recognition. They are essentially in the same position as many FCS schools in that regard. In fact, some FCS are significantly more well known and respected nationally than their FBS counterparts, most of them Ivy League schools.

Georgia State is not going to be more highly regarded nor will they be better known nationally as a member of the Sun Belt Conference. An SBC is a good move from the geographical standpoint and it will allow them to compete with schools that are more like them institutionally. That's the only context for which it needs to make sense.

laxVik
April 2nd, 2012, 11:32 AM
That's just it. Few will ever be able to approach schools like Michigan in terms of national brand identity. App State won't, nor will Georgia State, Delaware nor any of the Florida acronyms you introduced; some of it related to athletics but most not.

IMO, too many schools waste valuable resources on labels for which they are never going to recoup equitable benefits. That said, it is their prerogative and right to do that. I just think we need not pretend that the FBS label is some kind of magic Powerball ticket that's going to propel most schools to national name recognition. They are essentially in the same position as many FCS schools in that regard. In fact, some FCS are significantly more well known and respected nationally than their FBS counterparts, most of them Ivy League schools.

Georgia State is not going to be more highly regarded nor will they be better known nationally as a member of the Sun Belt Conference. An SBC is a good move from the geographical standpoint and it will allow them to compete with schools that are more like them institutionally. That's the only context for which it needs to make sense.I don't agree. The average layman fan pays more attention to the FBS level. As do the internet sites. The only time FCS makes ESPN is generally when there's bad news. I can certainly rattle off more teams from the sunbelt than I can from most FCS conferences. Most FCS playoff games get very little coverage nationally. ULM, Troy, MTU, FIU, UCF - I know these teams having seen their bowl games over the years. Just the way it is.

TheRevSFA
April 2nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
Yes....yes you did :):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdXJmhAQxYE

Would have been nice if someone made a video showing both sides. The way that video was edited it looked like the score should have been 100-0...

Tuscon
April 2nd, 2012, 12:13 PM
Yet you don't hear about ULM, Idaho, Mid Tennessee State, FAU, WKU etc..when it comes to football because they aren't moving forward.
FAU is definitely moving forward, and it's a bit unfair to include WKU as they are still pretty new to FBS. Also, they went from bottom of the Sun Belt in 2010 to second in 2011. That seems like a move forward. Of course, some are content to sit right where they are. The important thing to note is the ceiling rises in the FBS. I know FBS alone doesn't give you much of anything. It does give you potential, though, to be the next Boise State, UCF, TCU, etc..

Tuscon
April 2nd, 2012, 12:16 PM

Georgia State is not going to be more highly regarded nor will they be better known nationally as a member of the Sun Belt Conference. An SBC is a good move from the geographical standpoint and it will allow them to compete with schools that are more like them institutionally. That's the only context for which it needs to make sense.

I know it doesn't give you instant gratification in regards to notoriety and funds, but it is definitly a step in the right direction. The long term benefits of being FBS include the ability to become even more well known. I know it's not a magic button.

The geographic thing is what I'm looking forward to the most. I'm super psyched that if this happens I'll be able to go to most away either without a flight, or a cheap one.

TheRevSFA
April 2nd, 2012, 12:40 PM
Everyone says "we can be like Boise State" when it comes to moving up. Texas State fans have said it..UTSA fans have said it. I'm sure UMass has thought it.

Boise State was pretty decent in D-IAA. They didn't decide "oh we want football..wait we can move up to FBS because we have the enrollment" like UTSA effectively did.

Watch how UTSA (who lost to McMurry for ****'s sake) and Tx State do in the WAC. That should be used as your measuring stick, not what Boise State has been able to do in the past 15 years. Success won't come to Ga State for a while in the Sun Belt, and it probably (not definitely) won't be at the level that Boise State has had it.

Like I have said before, good luck in the SBC. It makes great sense geographically for you guys as opposed to being in the CAA

henfan
April 2nd, 2012, 01:18 PM
The geographic thing is what I'm looking forward to the most. I'm super psyched that if this happens I'll be able to go to most away either without a flight, or a cheap one.

That's really a big deal for your school, I think. In the CAA, distance would prevent many of your fans from seeing multiple road games. In the SBC, you'll have several within driving distance.xthumbsupx

FormerPokeCenter
April 2nd, 2012, 01:22 PM
The problem is that if you exile the FBS wannabees, you won't have a football conference anymore.

The Sunbelt is populated exclusively with expelled FBS Wannabees....unfortunately, the Sunbelt has a losing record against the FCS....

I will say this. Georgia State is perfect for the Sunbelt. USL and Ga. State fans are cut from the same delusional cloth. If only they could extend an invite to Texas State....that would be delusional perfection!

TheRevSFA
April 2nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
The Sunbelt is populated exclusively with expelled FBS Wannabees....unfortunately, the Sunbelt has a losing record against the FCS....

I will say this. Georgia State is perfect for the Sunbelt. USL and Ga. State fans are cut from the same delusional cloth. If only they could extend an invite to Texas State....that would be delusional perfection!

Exactly. The WAC isn't the fit for Texas State. Most of the members of that conference are not that delusional

panama
April 2nd, 2012, 03:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWnmCu3U09w

panama
April 2nd, 2012, 03:21 PM
FAU is definitely moving forward, and it's a bit unfair to include WKU as they are still pretty new to FBS. Also, they went from bottom of the Sun Belt in 2010 to second in 2011. That seems like a move forward. Of course, some are content to sit right where they are. The important thing to note is the ceiling rises in the FBS. I know FBS alone doesn't give you much of anything. It does give you potential, though, to be the next Boise State, UCF, TCU, etc..

Not under any illusions of being the next anybody. What the Sun Belt gives us is 1) regional conference games with schools people in Atlanta have heard of and 2) the ability to sign home and home and 2 and 1 series with Power 6 schools who will come to the Dome. If I tell people at work we're playing Richmond Saturday they will say "that's nice". If I say we're playing Kentucky or NC State they may buy a ticket.

danefan
April 2nd, 2012, 03:35 PM
Not under any illusions of being the next anybody. What the Sun Belt gives us is 1) regional conference games with schools people in Atlanta have heard of and 2) the ability to sign home and home and 2 and 1 series with Power 6 schools who will come to the Dome. If I tell people at work we're playing Richmond Saturday they will say "that's nice". If I say we're playing Kentucky or NC State they may buy a ticket.

Your odds of scheduling that go from 0 in the CAA to 1 in 50 million in the Sun Belt.

The regional aspect of the move makes sense though, I agree with you on that.

asumike83
April 2nd, 2012, 03:42 PM
Your odds of scheduling that go from 0 in the CAA to 1 in 50 million in the Sun Belt.

Not right off the bat but it will certainly give them the opportunity to do so. Memphis, Navy, Duke, UCF, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Indiana and Houston were all hosted by Sun Belt teams in 2011. Not all of those are Big 6 teams but still, there will be chances to get nice home games if you play at the FBS level, regardless of conference affiliation.

panama
April 2nd, 2012, 03:42 PM

Really?

This is a list of future Sun Belt OOC Home Opponents.

Arkansas State
2012 - Memphis

FIU
2012 -Louisville
2013 - Texas A&M, UCF
2014 - Louisville, Pittsburgh

Troy
2012 - Navy. Mississippi State

USA
2014 - Navy, Miss State
2015 - NC State

MTSU
2013 - Memphis
2015 - Vandy

ULM
2012 - Baylor

WKU
2013 - Kentucky, Navy

danefan
April 2nd, 2012, 03:43 PM
Really?

This is a list of future Sun Belt OOC Home Opponents.

Arkansas State
2012 - Memphis

FIU
2012 -Louisville
2013 - Texas A&M, UCF
2014 - Louisville, Pittsburgh

Troy
2012 - Navy. Mississippi State

USA
2014 - Navy, Miss State
2015 - NC State

MTSU
2013 - Memphis
2015 - Vandy

ULM
2012 - Baylor

WKU
2013 - Kentucky, Navy

OK OK, the 1 in 50 million was off. You can schedule FBS teams.

BTW - I'm not arguing against the move. Being an alumn of a school with zero vision, I applaud any school with a vision.

Tuscon
April 2nd, 2012, 04:33 PM

C'mon, Panama, don't miss the point. I used the upper echelon of what it means for us, but the point was a higher ceiling as far as success and notoriety are concerned.

panama
April 2nd, 2012, 04:38 PM
C'mon, Panama, don't miss the point. I used the upper echelon of what it means for us, but the point was a higher ceiling as far as success and notoriety are concerned.

I get what youre saying but I am also a realist. We dont have to be Boise or TCU. Being USF or UCF will be just fine.

Saint3333
April 2nd, 2012, 07:48 PM
OK OK, the 1 in 50 million was off. You can schedule FBS teams.

BTW - I'm not arguing against the move. Being an alumn of a school with zero vision, I applaud any school with a vision.

Every FBS team signs BCS teams for home games.

whitey
April 3rd, 2012, 08:20 AM
Sunbelt votes to add Georgia State (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18265934). Georgia State could announce the move as early as next week. Basically a done deal. This moves makes sense for Georgia State. Good luck.

danefan
April 3rd, 2012, 09:08 AM
So does the CAA move or not?

aceinthehole
April 3rd, 2012, 09:19 AM
If nothing else changes, CAA Football will have 9 members for 2013 (Delaware, Towson, JMU, ODU, W&M, + UNH, Maine, 'Nova, Richmond).

CAA full membership will be 11 schools (Delaware, Drexel, GMU, Hofstra, JMU, Northeastern, ODU, Towson, UNC-Willimington, VCU, W&M).

Right now it looks like they need 1 new FB-playing member in the CAA, but thhat could change if GMU/VCU bolt for the A-10.

- Coastal Carolina?
- Liberty?
- Stony Brook?
- Albany?

henfan
April 3rd, 2012, 09:28 AM
I'd be very surprised if, going forward, the CAA didn't add only schools who would be willing/able to compete in both the CAA & CAA FB. For now though, I see CAA FB holding at 9. This would allow the league to conduct a round robin schedule for the first time in many, many years, plus give each member the opportunity to schedule 3 or 4 noncon games each season.

Now, if VCU and GMU depart the CAA in the summer, as has been rumored in the press, then the CAA & CAA FB may be in the hunt for 2-3 new members. That probably would not bode too well for the Big South, SoCon and/or America East.

UMaine, UNH, NU, HU, DU, UD and TU in particular are probably all looking forward to the SBC/GSU press conference.

UAalum72
April 3rd, 2012, 09:34 AM
If VCU/GMU go to the A-10, why would that necessarily affect CAA football? Any replacement school could just as well be non-football.

aceinthehole
April 3rd, 2012, 10:08 AM
I think football is perfect at 9 teams for many of the same reasons hefan stated, but 11 is awkward for hoops scheduling. I would think the best option at this point would to to "convert" 1 existing FB-only member to full CAA status. Ideally, that would be 'Nova or Richmond to boost the basketball RPI. But that won't happen.

So how about converting New Hampshire to a CAA member? It would add a travel partner to NU and keep the entire league balanced. But could that move push Maine to follow URI to the NEC?

Or as UA72 points out, why not just add a strong basketball program like Davidson, UNC-Greensboro, or Winthrop to the CAA (and give a travel partner to UNCW)?

The Eagle's Cliff
April 3rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
I get what youre saying but I am also a realist. We dont have to be Boise or TCU. Being USF or UCF will be just fine.

State will be more like UAB. If it weren't for student fees, State wouldn't have the money to be in FCS. Atlanta might be the worst sports city in the country and Georgia is completely dominated by UGA (and that won't change). It's a good move for State and the Sunbelt, but I don't see State ever being anything more than the UGA Night School of its roots.

cbarrier90
April 3rd, 2012, 10:55 AM
Whew. Looks like ASU dodged a bullet from the Belt!

RichH2
April 3rd, 2012, 11:08 AM
According to Twitter GSU going to sun Belton Thursday

GATA_Eagles
April 3rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
According to Twitter GSU going to sun Belton Thursday

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-sports/2012/04/03/benson-gsu-to-sun-belt-hasnt-been-approved/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_state_sports xcoffeex

henfan
April 3rd, 2012, 11:30 AM
If VCU/GMU go to the A-10, why would that necessarily affect CAA football? Any replacement school could just as well be non-football.

If VCU and/or GMU leave the CAA, the league would drop to 9 and would likely seek additional members (1-3) to avoid being one poach or small exodus away from putting the NCAA at-large bid at risk. (Been there, done that!)

While it's not outside the realm of possibility that the CAA could look to add a school without FB, I'd have to imagine that those schools would be low on the priority list for a league seeking stability across all sports. That's why schools like SBU, CCU, UA, UNH, etc. would have to jump to the front of the list. There's no replacement for VCU & GMU for hoops but FB and MLAX or baseball get immediately stronger.

It wouldn't break my heart if the CAA got out of the Carolinas altogether and brought in SBU, UA & UNH. Perhaps that would provide UNCW with the impetus to seek opportunity in a more geographically appropriate conference. It would save us all on travel.

PaladinFan
April 3rd, 2012, 12:06 PM
State will be more like UAB. If it weren't for student fees, State wouldn't have the money to be in FCS. Atlanta might be the worst sports city in the country and Georgia is completely dominated by UGA (and that won't change). It's a good move for State and the Sunbelt, but I don't see State ever being anything more than the UGA Night School of its roots.

If only Atlanta could have an FBS program downtown...

What's that? They already do?

cbarrier90
April 3rd, 2012, 12:32 PM

And they're actually decent? And THEY don't even sellout?

And the Braves are the same way?

I-16Bandit
April 3rd, 2012, 05:16 PM
http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-sports/2012/04/03/benson-gsu-to-sun-belt-hasnt-been-approved/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_state_sports xcoffeex

My god will I die laughing if they don't get the invite after all.

DIE. LAUGHING.

Designing smaller Mac's is more important.

Mountaineer#96
April 3rd, 2012, 06:04 PM
My god will I die laughing if they don't get the invite after all.

DIE. LAUGHING.

Designing smaller Mac's is more important.

If they don't you can expect responses like chattown's epic breakdown on the Chatty at App State Game Thread..............anyone have the link for that?

MplsBison
April 3rd, 2012, 08:38 PM

Real question is will GSoU be content with being Valdosta St with more scholarships while GSU gets the media attention of ESPN and Atlanta?

eaglewraith
April 3rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
Real question is will GSoU be content with being Valdosta St with more scholarships while GSU gets the media attention of ESPN and Atlanta?

Media attention of ESPN and Atlanta?

Hell the Braves/Falcons/Hawks barely get any good attention these days.

Also, I don't see Sun Belt schools lighting it up on ESPN. I barely ever see mention of them for the most part. I wouldn't have even known that MTSU hosted Georgia Tech this year if it hadn't of been for some of our fans that are all hung up on the Sun Belt talking about it. I guess maybe it was on ESPN3?? But hell, we had several games on ESPN3 as well last year so that's not really an upgrade in terms of coverage.

realgsu
April 3rd, 2012, 09:01 PM

Not to mention with Kennesaw State and Mercer coming online, they will be relegated to Savannah St. status.

realgsu
April 3rd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Media attention of ESPN and Atlanta?

Hell the Braves/Falcons/Hawks barely get any good attention these days.

Also, I don't see Sun Belt schools lighting it up on ESPN. I barely ever see mention of them for the most part. I wouldn't have even known that MTSU hosted Georgia Tech this year if it hadn't of been for some of our fans that are all hung up on the Sun Belt talking about it. I guess maybe it was on ESPN3?? But hell, we had several games on ESPN3 as well last year so that's not really an upgrade in terms of coverage.

Dude, we had a Thursday Night national televised game with the Gameday crew in our first year of existence. (and an ESPN the Mag Cover) Atlanta is the Southern hub of all of the major networks. Fox South is here, SportsSouth is here, Turner is based here, CNNSI is based here. There is no Fox Sports Murfreesboro, or Statesboro or Lafayette or Troy.

TheRevSFA
April 3rd, 2012, 09:16 PM
Dude, we had a Thursday Night national televised game with the Gameday crew in our first year of existence. (and an ESPN the Mag Cover) Atlanta is the Southern hub of all of the major networks. Fox South is here, SportsSouth is here, Turner is based here, CNNSI is based here. There is no Fox Sports Murfreesboro, or Statesboro or Lafayette or Troy.

...and you guys get on fox sports south by riding UGA and Tech's coattails

I-16Bandit
April 3rd, 2012, 09:23 PM

Bold is why that all happened. After that game, how much media attention did you get? And don't give me the Alabama *** kicking game.

Making the jump to FBS, and you want to belittle Georgia Southern? Say all you want, comparing us to Valdosta State and Savannah State, but I know that my team could beat either of those teams any day of the week. Not sure Georgia State could say the same.

realgsu
April 3rd, 2012, 09:27 PM
Bold is why that all happened. After that game, how much media attention did you get? And don't give me the Alabama *** kicking game.

Making the jump to FBS, and you want to belittle Georgia Southern? Say all you want, comparing us to Valdosta State and Savannah State, but I know that my team could beat either of those teams any day of the week. Not sure Georgia State could say the same.

Good for y'all. See ya.

BlueHenSinfonian
April 3rd, 2012, 09:30 PM

Alabama had a Thursday night televised game that year (actually, all of Alabama's games were nationally televised, the GA-State game was the only one bumped down to ESPN-U instead of ESPN, ESPN2 or a major network).

Just like the Georgia Dome isn't really your stadium - it's the Falcons stadium that due to the kindness of the GA legislature you get a nice rent deal on.

I have nothing against GA State going to the SunBelt, seems like it might be a good fit, but let's not pretend that GA-State is some juggernaut of a program that's outgrown the FCS before they've even played a conference game.

GA-State is in Atlanta true, but UGA already has the stranglehold of fandom for most of the state, and even in Atlanta you'll be second fiddle to BCS GA Tech.

Gringer1
April 3rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
Alabama had a Thursday night televised game that year (actually, all of Alabama's games were nationally televised, the GA-State game was the only one bumped down to ESPN-U instead of ESPN, ESPN2 or a major network).

Just like the Georgia Dome isn't really your stadium - it's the Falcons stadium that due to the kindness of the GA legislature you get a nice rent deal on.

I have nothing against GA State going to the SunBelt, seems like it might be a good fit, but let's not pretend that GA-State is some juggernaut of a program that's outgrown the FCS before they've even played a conference game.

GA-State is in Atlanta true, but UGA already has the stranglehold of fandom for most of the state, and even in Atlanta you'll be second fiddle to BCS GA Tech.

G-state fans will declare you to be a Georgia Southern troll and ignore your completely logical statement.

FormerPokeCenter
April 3rd, 2012, 09:49 PM
Alet's not pretend that GA-State is some juggernaut of a program that's outgrown the FCS

You, SIR, conveniently forget that Georgia State has a SIGNATURE win over the Campbell Camels! Name one other FBS team who can make that claim! I dare you!

BlueHenSinfonian
April 3rd, 2012, 10:00 PM
If nothing else changes, CAA Football will have 9 members for 2013 (Delaware, Towson, JMU, ODU, W&M, + UNH, Maine, 'Nova, Richmond).

CAA full membership will be 11 schools (Delaware, Drexel, GMU, Hofstra, JMU, Northeastern, ODU, Towson, UNC-Willimington, VCU, W&M).

Right now it looks like they need 1 new FB-playing member in the CAA, but thhat could change if GMU/VCU bolt for the A-10.

- Coastal Carolina?
- Liberty?
- Stony Brook?
- Albany?

Of those I'd like to see Stony Brook, Albany, and Liberty in that order. I really don't think CCU would fit the CAA mold well.

Bringing in UNH and Maine as full CAA members would also be a smart choice. Since that would kill the America East might as well bring BU and VT along too. At least Vermont has a club football team, who knows if that might lead to a return to football in the FCS at some point.

MplsBison
April 3rd, 2012, 10:14 PM

Typical fallacy. FBS has nothing to do with "earning it".

Georgia State wants to make the highest level of financial commitment that is allowed by the NCAA.

End of story.

I-16Bandit
April 3rd, 2012, 10:25 PM

I don't think he was trying to say that. Ever since Georgia State has had a football team, they have done nothing but talk **** about the FCS.They think that they are a gift from God and are better than every team out there, when in fact, horse **** is better at playing football. "Earning" the right to move up has nothing to do with it, but when you are going to talk crap about a subdivision that you've played in for a whole 2 years, and a conference that you have YET TO PLAY IN, people take offense.

That's what I think BlueHen was talking about.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 3rd, 2012, 11:52 PM
I think the most telling thing about this whole thread is there is not one CAA fan gnashing their teeth over the move. If I didn't know any better, I'd think they're actually quite happy to be rid of their problem child.

BlueHenSinfonian
April 4th, 2012, 12:07 AM
I think the most telling thing about this whole thread is there is not one CAA fan gnashing their teeth over the move. If I didn't know any better, I'd think they're actually quite happy to be rid of their problem child.

GA State is a geographical outlier in the conference that hasn't been around long enough to develop any kind of rivalries with anyone.

Losing UMass and URI stirs people up more because both have long histories with the conference dating back to the A-10 and Yankee Conference.

Northeastern and Hofstra hurt because both could have easily been successful football programs but instead fell victim to short sighted administrative decisions that didn't take into account the value the programs brought to campus life.

BucBisonAtLarge
April 4th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Unlike the lower tier FBS conferences, scrambling for better bowl affiliations, FCS conferences can operate with 7-9 members, fit in their FBS revenue games, and play full round-robin schedules. I do think it may be premature to congratulate the CAA on a 9 team full round robin in the Fall of 2013. The wheel seems to be still be spinning. Congratulations to UNH and Maine for outlasting the furthest stretch of the conference footprint.

NHwildEcat
April 4th, 2012, 07:41 AM
I don't think he was trying to say that. Ever since Georgia State has had a football team, they have done nothing but talk **** about the FCS.They think that they are a gift from God and are better than every team out there, when in fact, horse **** is better at playing football. "Earning" the right to move up has nothing to do with it, but when you are going to talk crap about a subdivision that you've played in for a whole 2 years, and a conference that you have YET TO PLAY IN, people take offense.

That's what I think BlueHen was talking about.

The truth is they knew they could not compete in the CAA...it's not for everyone!

NHwildEcat
April 4th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Unlike the lower tier FBS conferences, scrambling for better bowl affiliations, FCS conferences can operate with 7-9 members, fit in their FBS revenue games, and play full round-robin schedules. I do think it may be premature to congratulate the CAA on a 9 team full round robin in the Fall of 2013. The wheel seems to be still be spinning. Congratulations to UNH and Maine for outlasting the furthest stretch of the conference footprint.

If the CAA cares about their northern institutions they may soon seek to gain other worthwhile progames like UAlbany, SBU and others to balance the travel on all members more. At least I would hope they would have some interest in that.

NHwildEcat
April 4th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Of those I'd like to see Stony Brook, Albany, and Liberty in that order. I really don't think CCU would fit the CAA mold well.

Bringing in UNH and Maine as full CAA members would also be a smart choice. Since that would kill the America East might as well bring BU and VT along too. At least Vermont has a club football team, who knows if that might lead to a return to football in the FCS at some point.

I like your thinking...I cannot stand the AE. It is a second rate conference with second rate competition...UNH Bball would only benefit from moving into a larger and better conference. Problem is costs of travel...it seems only football and hockey are programs allowed to leave the northeast...a bigger conference would no doubt cost more. BUT, it would lead to the downfall of the AE. And the CAA would be able to pick and choose as many programs as they may like. Don't be fooled though, BU is not a worthwhile school to bring in. They can afford football easy but choose to ignore it-why I don't know. Large school like them should have it...

Also, BU does have club football, like Vermont.

eaglemachine
April 4th, 2012, 07:55 AM
All I have to say is this:
http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312600098

The conference runner up got run over by a middle of the road FCS team. I wish Sunbelt teams would schedule Georgia Southern or other top FCS programs.

NHwildEcat
April 4th, 2012, 07:56 AM
I think football is perfect at 9 teams for many of the same reasons hefan stated, but 11 is awkward for hoops scheduling. I would think the best option at this point would to to "convert" 1 existing FB-only member to full CAA status. Ideally, that would be 'Nova or Richmond to boost the basketball RPI. But that won't happen.

So how about converting New Hampshire to a CAA member? It would add a travel partner to NU and keep the entire league balanced. But could that move push Maine to follow URI to the NEC?

Or as UA72 points out, why not just add a strong basketball program like Davidson, UNC-Greensboro, or Winthrop to the CAA (and give a travel partner to UNCW)?

IF, and I think it would be a big IF, UNH were to join the CAA as a full member I would hope that it could be worked out for Maine to join. I love playing Maine in all sports...and it would be terrible for that to end after the 100+ years of tradition. But let's not put the cart before the horse on this one...

I also have a question for the current CAA full members...is there a minimum number of sports a school can carry to be full members...UNH is thin on sports. No current Men's Lax Program, maybe a move to CAA could lead to a reconsideration, no baseball. It's really just soccer, football and basketball with some olympic sports.

henfan
April 4th, 2012, 08:05 AM

Georgia State wants to make the highest level of financial commitment that is allowed by the NCAA.

End of story.

Not quite the end of the story. Another fallacy- that FBS classification automatically translates into a larger financial commitment.

Despite offering 22 fewer FB scholarships, an FCS program like Delaware has higher FB revenues and expenses than many Sun Belt schools.

whitey
April 4th, 2012, 08:27 AM

I actually made the same proposal on the JMU boards yesterday as was promptly laughed at. But a lot of those guys are dicks and still think a CUSA invite is coming. It really could make a lot of sense:

Add: New Hampshire, Maine, Stony Brook, Vermont and Boston. This would give the conference 16 members with 10 in football and kill the America East in the process.

CAA:
North: New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Boston, Stony Brook, Hofstra, Northeastern, Drexel
South: Delaware, Towson, George Mason, Virginia Commonwealth, James Madison, William & Mary, Old Dominion, UNC-Wilmington

CAA Football:
North: Maine, New Hampshire, Stony Brook, Delaware, Villanova
South: Towson, James Madison, Old Dominion, Richmond, William & Mary

You could even consider taking Albany (assuming they up their football scholarship commitment) as well while adding Coastal Carolina to keep things even north/south and give the league 12 in football. Vermont, Boston University and Stony Brook have not had awful basketball RPIs the last five years so it wouldn't be a huge step down there. CAA is a one-bid basketball league more often than not anyway.

JMUDuke2002
April 4th, 2012, 08:41 AM
I actually made the same proposal on the JMU boards yesterday as was promptly laughed at. But a lot of those guys are dicks and still think a CUSA invite is coming. It really could make a lot of sense:

Add: New Hampshire, Maine, Stony Brook, Vermont and Boston. This would give the conference 16 members with 10 in football and kill the America East in the process.

CAA:
North: New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Boston, Stony Brook, Hofstra, Northeastern, Drexel
South: Delaware, Towson, George Mason, Virginia Commonwealth, James Madison, William & Mary, Old Dominion, UNC-Wilmington

CAA Football:
North: Maine, New Hampshire, Stony Brook, Delaware, Villanova
South: Towson, James Madison, Old Dominion, Richmond, William & Mary

You could even consider taking Albany (assuming they up their football scholarship commitment) as well while adding Coastal Carolina to keep things even north/south and give the league 12 in football. Vermont, Boston University and Stony Brook have not had awful basketball RPIs the last five years so it wouldn't be a huge step down there. CAA is a one-bid basketball league more often than not anyway.

Most people were not being d!cks. That conference had little appeal for most. Also, you never answered the question on if VCU and GMU leave, why would current AE teams leave their small, compact, one bid conference for a spread out, one bid CAA? Stony Brook would join in a heart beat and would fit fine. But, VT, UNH, BU and Maine? Why? What is the advantage for them?

MplsBison
April 4th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Not quite the end of the story. Another fallacy- that FBS classification automatically translates into a larger financial commitment.

Despite offering 22 fewer FB scholarships, an FCS program like Delaware has higher FB revenues and expenses than many Sun Belt schools.

We're talking about expenses, obviously. They break down into three buckets:

Coaching salaries: what is the total salary paid to Delaware football coaches compared to the total football coach salary at Sun Belt schools? You're already at a disadvantage being in FCS - they allow fewer paid coaches than FBS allows.

Scholarship equivalencies: the dollar amount depends on the tuition cost of the school, where the recruits come from (for public schools) and how many scholarship equivalencies are being awarded. FBS allows 22 more scholarships, but at the same time the dollars might not matter as much if we're comparing public vs private and it gets even more complicated when you consider in-state players or players from states that have lower tuition than plain out of state at public schools.

The rest is what I would call "operating costs". New uniforms, equipment, non-coaching staff salaries, recruiting budget, travel budget, etc.

I would buy that Delaware's football program has more non-scholarship expenses than some of the SB teams - only because you pay your head coach so much. But I'd like to see Delaware's numbers vs. the rest of Sun Belt. And don't waste too much time on the equity in athletics site - those are self reported numbers that very often have errors.

whitey
April 4th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Most people were not being d!cks. That conference had little appeal for most. Also, you never answered the question on if VCU and GMU leave, why would current AE teams leave their small, compact, one bid conference for a spread out, one bid CAA? Stony Brook would join in a heart beat and would fit fine. But, VT, UNH, BU and Maine? Why? What is the advantage for them?

I didn't say they were being dicks to me I just said they laughed at me. In general a lot of people are dicks though on that board (myself included sometimes). But I digress. First of all we don't know if VCU and GMU will leave but even if they do those schools will still have a large contingent of nearby schools as Northeastern, Hofstra and Drexel could still be bus trips. More importantly they gain better long term stability. Why should they sit around and wait for schools to be picked off one-by-one as teams potentially become targets for the CAA?

aceinthehole
April 4th, 2012, 09:13 AM

I agree, that's the catch-22 in all this.

If (and I know it is a big IF right now), GMU/VCU leave for the A-10, the CAA is back to a one-bid basketball league on par with the AE. There is no way it makes sense for UNH or Maine to travel to Williamsburg or Harrisonburg for basketball games in a league that is no better than the one they are leaving.

While I know most UD fans support an all-sports CAA, I just don't think that is possible under the current circumstances. CAA Football will likely always remain a seperate entity and the football conference memebrship will not necessarly matchup with olympic sports. Think of it as Hockey East - except the CAA administers the conference and gets the exposure of sponsoring the sport. Maine and UNH don't mind the travel for football, but they are not sending their soccer, hoops, softball teams, etc. down to Virginia on a regular basis.

JMUDuke2002
April 4th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I didn't say they were being dicks to me I just said they laughed at me. In general a lot of people are dicks though on that board (myself included sometimes). But I digress. First of all we don't know if VCU and GMU will leave but even if they do those schools will still have a large contingent of nearby schools as Northeastern, Hofstra and Drexel could still be bus trips. More importantly they gain better long term stability. Why should they sit around and wait for schools to be picked off one-by-one as teams potentially become targets for the CAA?

But who says they are targets? Maine and UNH have been members of CAA and A10 football for ages, yet they haven't moved for all sports. The only reason the CAA would expand to that size is if VCU/GMU/ODU or JMU were to leave. Perhaps they would leave to get back to their old rivalries. I'd have no problem with UNH and Maine becoming full-time members, but I don't see it happening until others leave the CAA.

Currently, the A10 may be targeting VCU and GMU. Personally, I think they are gone come July 2. But, until VCU or GMU leave, I don't see the conference expanding further north except maybe adding Stony Brook to replace Ga.St, who'll be gone by Thursday. But that might not even happen. UNCW will be an island soon down in NC. I fully expect CCU to make a full push to be admitted. I pray they are not, but Yeager and the University presidents allowed Ga. St. to come on so they are capable of stupid decisions.

whitey
April 4th, 2012, 09:32 AM
But who says they are targets?

If you look at the profiles of the current CAA schools it only makes sense they target schools with similar profiles. So why wouldn't they be targets. An AE/CAA merger was talked about in the past. It could very easily be brought back on the table again.

While Coastal would bring great baseball, full scholarship FCS football and a logical travel partner for UNC-W they really aren't a good fit when it comes to everything else. I would hate bringing CCU in just to appease UNC-W which has not football and barely has a basketball team at this point.

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Capitalism has really killed college football. It's a sad world we live in when glorified community colleges that have no history or college experience like GayState and UNCCeee get conference preferences over sports powerhouses just because they're closer to big cities. If only ASU had progressive leadership before 2005.

eaglemachine
April 4th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Capitalism has really killed college football. It's a sad world we live in when glorified community colleges that have no history or college experience like GayState and UNCCeee get conference preferences over sports powerhouses just because they're closer to big cities. If only ASU had progressive leadership before 2005.

+1

WH49er
April 4th, 2012, 11:01 AM

What's sad is your leadership still sucks. If you wanted to go FBS you could but they seem intent on allowing others to determine their destiny rather than be proactive about the situation.

I'm not a big Judy Rose fan but at least we came out of the gate and let our intentions be known. Whether you hate us or like us there is something to be respected there.

Gringer1
April 4th, 2012, 11:18 AM
The FBS is creating the death of college football. Forget rivalries and good football games, just sell out for money, hideous gimmick jerseys, and corporate bowl games. Let's reward mediocrity and celebrate it like it means something. All so a few guys in suits can line their pockets. SMH.

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 11:23 AM
What's sad is your leadership still sucks. If you wanted to go FBS you could but they seem intent on allowing others to determine their destiny rather than be proactive about the situation.

I'm not a big Judy Rose fan but at least we came out of the gate and let our intentions be known. Whether you hate us or like us there is something to be respected there.

Don't get me wrong man, Peacock has done a phenomenal job. The fact is though, he's just trying to get us caught up after decades of underachieving under previous administrations. If you ask me, I think he's being too picky. If we express interest in the SBC, we'll have an informal invite just like GaSt and Cee, but Peacock has been looking down his nose at the conference all along so it's not happening. I wasn't willing to jump to the SBC until very recently. It seems to be our only immediately viable option for the move. We have to get our foot in the FBS door. If GaSt and Cee join it wouldn't be a bad idea at all. That's enough travel for me. I'll have to pick up a bullet proof vest before I head to the ATL though.

asumike83
April 4th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Don't get me wrong man, Peacock has done a phenomenal job. The fact is though, he's just trying to get us caught up after decades of underachieving under previous administrations. If you ask me, I think he's being too picky. If we express interest in the SBC, we'll have an informal invite just like GaSt and Cee, but Peacock has been looking down his nose at the conference all along so it's not happening. I wasn't willing to jump to the SBC until very recently. It seems to be our only immediately viable option for the move. We have to get our foot in the FBS door. If GaSt and Cee join it wouldn't be a bad idea at all. That's enough travel for me. I'll have to pick up a bullet proof vest before I head to the ATL though.

I agree that overall, Peacock/Cobb have done a good job and I'm not going to be calling for anyone's head because we do not have an FBS offer. However, the increase in attendance, donations, enrollment, etc. has as much to do with the great on-field work of the coaches and players as anything that has been done administratively. Winning championships and beating Michigan was what really got the ball rolling in terms of exposure for Appalachian.

For me, what happens in the next year or two will be what determines the quality of leadership as it relates to our athletic department. I believe that indecision in this case is the worst thing they could do. If we are serious about making the move, we have to be aggressive. We can't just stick our foot in the water and then hope the FBS fairy sprinkles some dust and makes a magical new FBS conference with regional teams. We need to be all in or all out on this one. They spearheaded the feasibility study and got things started, which is great. How they finish the process will determine my opinion of their leadership.

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 11:39 AM
we came out of the gate and let our intentions be known. Whether you hate us or like us there is something to be respected there.

I think this mindset is what's wrong with most of the start-up programs. You don't want to earn your respect, the way teams like Georgia Southern and App State have, through hard work, diligence and actual accomplishment, you newbies all seem intent on telling the rest of the world how you'll deign to be seen until such time as you've actually managed to accomplish something...

South Alabama and Old Dominion are exceptions to that apparent rule, however....it appears from where I sit they're intent on doing it right. Which - coincidentally - is why they get a LOT more respect than you guys and Georgia State.

I wish both programs well, for the love of God, just shut your incessantly whiny pie holes until you actually do something worth thumping your chest about. Please!

Is that really too much to ask????

ASUMountaineer
April 4th, 2012, 11:40 AM

That's a little over the top, don't you think? I don't believe our leadership sucks. Is our leadership being overly cautious? Probably. We're not privy to what's actually going on behind the scenes, only what information the leadership wants to reveal. I simply can't imagine that our leadership has not been in contact with the SBC.

I don't know how I feel about joining the SBC as it currently stands. I certainly think it's better than the SoCon, but the travel and lack of rivalries would be tough. Now, if UNCC made the move to the SBC, then it would be much more attractive. I am just not sure Judy will be willing to move basketball, and I'm not sure the SBC would accept UNCC as football-only.

Personally, I think our only option to move FBS will end up being the SBC. If the SBC is raided and the conference makes a shift eastward, then I think it becomes a no-brainer. We shall see.

TheRevSFA
April 4th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I think this mindset is what's wrong with most of the start-up programs. You don't want to earn your respect, the way teams like Georgia Southern and App State have, through hard work, diligence and actual accomplishment, you newbies all seem intent on telling the rest of the world how you'll deign to be seen until such time as you've actually managed to accomplish something...

South Alabama and Old Dominion are exceptions to that apparent rule, however....it appears from where I sit they're intent on doing it right. Which - coincidentally - is why they get a LOT more respect than you guys and Georgia State.

I wish both programs well, for the love of God, just shut your incessantly whiny pie holes until you actually do something worth thumping your chest about. Please!

This.

cbarrier90
April 4th, 2012, 11:43 AM
What's sad is your leadership still sucks.

xlolx

A school in Boone, NC (pop. 15K, give or take a few, double that during the school year) which has one or two major highways running through it, is looking to move up to FBS, and may have a few suitors.

A school in Charlotte, NC (largest media market in NC, student pop. 20-30K) is just now starting a football program after being kicked out of another conference a few years ago and is looking to go independent despite offers from a couple great FCS conferences.

Whose leadership sucks?

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 12:01 PM
The one thing Cee has that I wish App had more of is a little transparency. Us fans default to constant speculation as our administration doesn't tell us ANYTHING. I think we're on opposite sides of the spectrum. UNCCeee's admins ran their mouths and showed their hand from the get go, so no FCS conference will take them for all sports. App's admins have been outrageously secretive, leaving potential conferences and ASU fans in the dark. As a result, we aren't talking to the right conferences (because our leaders hate the idea of settling for the belt) and us fans are left pulling our hair out in limbo as the soulless, trade schools scramble to take all the spots in what their fans perceive as "REAL college football."

What Peacock needs to be doing is meeting with conference leaders and giving presentations on just how big ASU's media impact really is. (Winston, Western NC, Greensboro, Tri-Cities, and to a lesser extent Charlotte and the Triad). We've already proven that we would help any potential conference with average attendance, fan base size and national brand recognition, but what he haven't proven to these people (and what seems to be the bees-knees in being attractive to these conferences) is media market.

PaladinFan
April 4th, 2012, 12:38 PM
The FBS is creating the death of college football. Forget rivalries and good football games, just sell out for money, hideous gimmick jerseys, and corporate bowl games. Let's reward mediocrity and celebrate it like it means something. All so a few guys in suits can line their pockets. SMH.

You see it like I do.

MplsBison
April 4th, 2012, 01:03 PM

Shouldn't you be saying TV killed college football?

WH49er
April 4th, 2012, 01:18 PM
xlolx

A school in Boone, NC (pop. 15K, give or take a few, double that during the school year) which has one or two major highways running through it, is looking to move up to FBS, and may have a few suitors.

A school in Charlotte, NC (largest media market in NC, student pop. 20-30K) is just now starting a football program after being kicked out of another conference a few years ago and is looking to go independent despite offers from a couple great FCS conferences.

Whose leadership sucks?

Chancellor Woodward is gone, hence why we are now starting a football program.

Also, what the hell does one or two highways have to do with it?

My point is your leadership is not capitalizing on the success App has gained. The ran the feasibility study and then gave no real indication of the direction the program would like to go.

HailSzczur
April 4th, 2012, 01:19 PM

TV is capitalism at the end of the day

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Video killed the radio star

No, not necessarily. I think the big time BCS conferences are mainly governed by television, and thus media markets. But these smaller FBS conferences that we're talking about just see it as a trend and they try desperately to emulate the BCS conferences in a pointless attempt to catch up. The SBC and C-USA/MWC barely have more stake in TV than the CAA or the SoCon

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Chancellor Woodward is gone, hence why we are now starting a football program.

My point is your leadership is not capitalizing on the success App has gained. The ran the feasibility study and then gave no real indication of the direction the program would like to go.

Like I said, the man seems to be afraid of "settling." He needs to get us there, by any means necessary, or risk a black and gold lynch mob.

WH49er
April 4th, 2012, 01:29 PM

Where did I say our football program should be respected like App or Ga So? Show me the post because I know we haven't played a down of football. As a fan I want to earn it on the field because our fans are the reason we are getting a team.

Our AD was considerate enough to cut the bull**** and give a direction. Which is something that has been few and far in between during this whole conference realignment. You may not do this, I respect someone anytime they give me the truth.

Keep making assumptions about particular posters, it makes you sound like a douche.

TheRevSFA
April 4th, 2012, 01:38 PM

Internet killed the radio star?

cbarrier90
April 4th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Boone is a small, rural mountain town that is not as accessible as a Charlotte or Atlanta apart from one or two major highways running through it. Yet, the program is continually leading the FCS in attendance and is in talks to move to the FBS.

While support for baseball is slowly growing with their newfound success this season, general support for sports outside of football is either stagnant or non-existant (this is solely from a student's perspective.)

My point is that ASU football is a powerhouse that circumstantially shouldn't exist, yet it does. How does that happen? Leadership and vision from the top (which I wish they'd actually use towards sports outside of football, but that's another story for another time.)

I appreciate that you support Dubois and Rose, however, as an outsider and someone who grew up 30 minutes away, I continue to shake my head at how, with all the resources at their disposal, Charlotte continues to underachieve, particularly in basketball. Maybe football is the galvanizing force that changes everything.

My point is your leadership is not capitalizing on the success App has gained.

See above for the capitalization...

They ran the feasibility study and then gave no real indication of the direction the program would like to go.

The recommendation was made to move to the FBS. However, as an FCS program, whether or not we move is out of our hands. It all depends on an invite from a conference. If an invite is made, we'll see what happens, but no FCS program is going to choose their own destiny in the FBS ranks.

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Internet killed the radio star?

I beat you to it

49RFootballNow
April 4th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Where did I say our football program should be respected like App or Ga So? Show me the post because I know we haven't played a down of football. As a fan I want to earn it on the field because our fans are the reason we are getting a team.

Our AD was considerate enough to cut the bull**** and give a direction. Which is something that has been few and far in between during this whole conference realignment. You may not do this, I respect someone anytime they give me the truth.

Keep making assumptions about particular posters, it makes you sound like a douche.

To answer FormerPokeCenter, whether a school chooses to play FBS or FCS is an institutional decision based on a particular school's set of circumstances and not based on "earning it" on the field. If a school says "FCS meets our goals for the program" then that's fine. For Charlotte, FCS does not meet the goals our administration set out for when we started the program. Charlotte CHOSE to build an FBS program from the start. That's our administrations perogative.

Bottom line, FBS vs FCS is mostly a financial decision, not performance based issue.

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 02:04 PM

The whole tenor of your posts and the actual verbiage that YOU, yourself posted about what we must respect about your program - in a thread about the perpetually braggodocious Georgia State program - are the only examples of douchebaggery to be found on this thread...

Again, STFU until you've actually done something...

Children should be seen and not heard ;)

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 02:08 PM
To answer FormerPokeCenter, whether a school chooses to play FBS or FCS is an institutional decision based on a particular school's set of circumstances and not based on "earning it" on the field. If a school says "FCS meets our goals for the program" then that's fine. For Charlotte, FCS does not meet the goals our administration set out for when we started the program. Charlotte CHOSE to build an FBS program from the start. That's our administrations perogative.

Bottom line, FBS vs FCS is mostly a financial decision, not performance based issue.

That's all fine and good, but you miss the point. The post that I specifically replied to had precise language admonishing the readers of that post that a particular attribute was something that HAD to be respected about your little start up venture.

My post merely reinforced the fact that respect is earned, not demanded. That you apparently don't understand that speaks volumes.

Not to belabor the point, but - again - STFU until you've actually done something ;)

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 02:13 PM
They love talking out of both sides of their mouthes. Here's some reading material if you'd like to learn the real conceptions of Cee fans, especially regarding FCS.

http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=29279.0

I say do 5 years independent than move up to real college football.

TheRevSFA
April 4th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I beat you to it

Yeah but mine is more up to date

49RFootballNow
April 4th, 2012, 02:14 PM
That's all fine and good, but you miss the point. The post that I specifically replied to had precise language admonishing the readers of that post that a particular attribute was something that HAD to be respected about your little start up venture.

My post merely reinforced the fact that respect is earned, not demanded. That you apparently don't understand that speaks volumes.

Not to belabor the point, but - again - STFU until you've actually done something ;)

Well ok then, **** you too. Have a nice day.

They love talking out of both sides of their mouthes. Here's some reading material if you'd like to learn the real conceptions of Cee fans, especially regarding FCS.

http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=29279.0

Did I make it a secret I want my school to play FBS football? I'm sorry but its a fact that FCS only covers the LOWER half of Division I. No TV exposure, no reaching new fans, no potential for revenue increase. What am I missing?

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Well ok then, **** you too. Have a nice day.

My day would be a lot nicer if you'd finally shut the **** up! But, I suspect you're probably not going to do that, because - inevitably, inherently whiny bitches can't overcome being inherently whiny bitches...

Oh well, you should go with your strengths...

By the way, since you've never fielded a team, what would you know about "real college football???"

What is it with commuter school start ups and their intrinsic propensity toward being inherently whiny bitches???

WH49er
April 4th, 2012, 02:25 PM
My premise escapes you. Stay classy.

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 02:28 PM
My premise escapes you. Stay classy.

It's not that I don't understand your premise. You mistake my rejection and disdain for incomprehension...

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Did I make it a secret I want my school to play FBS football? I'm sorry but its a fact that FCS only covers the LOWER half of Division I. No TV exposure, no reaching new fans, no potential for revenue increase. What am I missing?

Talking out of both sides of your mouth, AGAIN.

You one minute- I want to play REAL football, not football in this slack, JV subdivision. The FCS is a joke, unworthy of the mighty 49ers.
You the next minute- We realize we have to pay our dues before we're respected in the football community. FBS is just what's best for us, it's no disrespect to the FCS.

You don't fool many people, especially me.

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 02:33 PM
This is like watching that douchebag from Georgia State, SaintDick, or whatever his name was all over again...

Same attitudes, same propensity to speak one way to one audience and another way to a different audience, failing to realize that both sets of conflicting and contradictory posts end up in the public domain.

Why is it that inherently whiny bitches also inevitably display the least amount of mental acuity and intellectual consistency?? It's just odd how that works....

49RFootballNow
April 4th, 2012, 02:36 PM
It's not that I don't understand your premise. You mistake my rejection and disdain for incomprehension...

Talking out of both sides of your mouth, AGAIN.

You one minute- I want to play REAL football, not football in this slack, JV subdivision. The FCS is a joke, unworthy of the mighty 49ers.
You the next minute- We realize we have to pay our dues before we're respected in the football community. FBS is just what's best for us, it's no disrespect to the FCS.

You don't fool many people, especially me.

Rejection and disdain from two assclowns, how shall we 49ers live with that? Well, I suspect. No one's talking out of both sides of their mouths here. Again, never hid the fact I wanted my school to go FBS.

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Rejection and disdain from two assclowns, how shall we 49ers live with that? Well, I suspect. No one's talking out of both sides of their mouths here. Again, never hid the fact I wanted my school to go FBS.

Way to respond to him and not me, and still quote me. You play two characters in your message boardings. At least own up to it. You placate all of us on here just so you aren't attacked by the entirety of AGS (although your pretentiousness does show through sometimes) then you beat your chest about how much better and "above" the FCS you are with the rest of your delusional fanbase on ninernation. Just stop. You're giving me a headache.

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 02:47 PM

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth by offering differing and conflicting opinions. One moment, Dr Jekyll, you're offering the incredibly reasonable position that you find the FCS worthy of repsect and that it's a great place to be for the time being....The next moment, Mr. Hyde, you're offering a completely different opinion that you'd rather go independent for a period of time and then give "real" college football a go.

You do see the inherent hypocrisy of those conflicting opinions, don't you, Dr. Jekyll? Or are there more yet-to-be-seen facets to your personality that would warrant you being called "Sybill?""

But, leaving your dissociative disorder aside for now, you do understand that it was only in MY post that the phrase "rejection & disdain" appeared and that those were directed to a post entirely different than yours?

Or is your break form reality so profound that you're actually logging in as the other 49er fan, too?

49RFootballNow
April 4th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Way to respond to him and not me, and still quote me. You play two characters in your message boardings. At least own up to it. You placate all of us on here just so you aren't attacked by the entirety of AGS (although your pretentiousness does show through sometimes) then you beat your chest about how much better and "above" the FCS you are with the rest of your delusional fanbase on ninernation. Just stop. You're giving me a headache.

Then I should continue doing what I'm doing!

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth by offering differing and conflicting opinions. One moment, Dr Jekyll, you're offering the incredibly reasonable position that you find the FCS worthy of repsect and that it's a great place to be for the time being....The next moment, Mr. Hyde, you're offering a completely different opinion that you'd rather go independent for a period of time and then give "real" college football a go.

You do see the inherent hypocrisy of those conflicting opinions, don't you, Dr. Jekyll? Or are there more yet-to-be-seen facets to your personality that would warrant you being called "Sybill?""

But, leaving your dissociative disorder aside for now, you do understand that it was only in MY post that the phrase "rejection & disdain" appeared and that those were directed to a post entirely different than yours?

Or is your break form reality so profound that you're actually logging in as the other 49er fan, too?

For what it is, FCS deserves repect. It actually crowns a champ on the field. If we were/are staying in FCS as a fan I'll make the best of it; but I perfer to be FBS because it IS the top level of competition and will accomplish the goals our university set out to accomplish when they started the process of adding football.

You say that's talking out of both sides of my mouth, I say its stating simple facts.

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Then I should continue doing what I'm doing!

You
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/1/19/129084463856778594.jpg

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 03:07 PM
For what it is, FCS deserves repect. It actually crowns a champ on the field. If we were/are staying in FCS as a fan I'll make the best of it; but I perfer to be FBS because it IS the top level of competition and will accomplish the goals our university set out to accomplish when they started the process of adding football.

You say that's talking out of both sides of my mouth, I say its stating simple facts.

Thank you for clarifying what you meant when you said you'd prefer to be independent until you could play "REAL" college football. I'm glad to now know that you simply misspoke and what you think you meant you were trying to say earlier just didn't go over very well.

I'm grateful for the correction, because - well - without it, you'd just look like the same sort of insufferable douchebag that Georgia State generally attracts as fans. I'm happy to know that the earlier disconnect between your two conflicting statements wasn't because you were being disingenuous, but rather because you apparently coulddn't express yourself very well...tis okay, it's like that at a commuter school sometimes....

Image problem solved!

dbackjon
April 4th, 2012, 03:09 PM
This thread is perfect example of why no one likes GaState, or MplsBison.

GSU will always be Georgia Southern, no matter what the yokels in ATL think or want to claim.

49RFootballNow
April 4th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Thank you for clarifying what you meant when you said you'd prefer to be independent until you could play "REAL" college football. I'm glad to now know that you simply misspoke and what you think you meant you were trying to say earlier just didn't go over very well.

I'm grateful for the correction, because - well - without it, you'd just look like the same sort of insufferable douchebag that Georgia State generally attracts as fans. I'm happy to know that the earlier disconnect between your two conflicting statements wasn't because you were being disingenuous, but rather because you apparently coulddn't express yourself very well...tis okay, it's like that at a commuter school sometimes....

Image problem solved!

You're even less clever than Apphole, and that's simply sad.

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 03:12 PM
This thread is perfect example of why no one likes GaState, or MplsBison.

GSU will always be Georgia Southern, no matter what the yokels in ATL think or want to claim.

You forgot the peanut gallery in Harrisburg, NC

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 03:15 PM
You're even less clever than Apphole, and that's simply sad.

Why in the world would I display cleverness in a conversation that you're a party to???

I doubt any clever people would be willing to talk to you long enough to translate for you ;)

I don't try to teach algebra to pigs, either, for what that's worth....

TheRevSFA
April 4th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Look, I'm just a fan of a lowly Southland school, but the attitudes at Ga State and Charlotte are like those of Texas State and UTSA.

Let me explain - Texas State wanted to be FBS so bad that they raised quite a bit of money to accept the first invite they received..which was to the WAC. The WAC is now less stable than the Southland and God only knows what its future is. UTSA said "We are too good for FCS" and pushed to get a FBS invite as a 2 for deal with Texas State. UTSA has not put a good product out. They are another school who doesn't own their stadium (Georgia State), plays in a NFL sized venue (Georgia State)..and gets beat by ****ty opponents.

The hubris from the fans about jumping is what amuses me the most. I look forward to seeing those fans faces when Texas State and UTSA are sitting last and next to last in the WAC respectively, and Idaho is going "oh ****, we have a team we can finally ****ing beat at the FBS level"

If Georgia State actually get the Sun Belt nod, great for them, and if Charlotte gets a SBC/CUSA invite, then great for you guys, but don't thumb your nose at FCS, seeing as how you can't currently compete with us (Charlotte we'll see in 2013)

MplsBison
April 4th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Look, I'm just a fan of a lowly Southland school, but the attitudes at Ga State and Charlotte are like those of Texas State and UTSA.

Let me explain - Texas State wanted to be FBS so bad that they raised quite a bit of money to accept the first invite they received..which was to the WAC. The WAC is now less stable than the Southland and God only knows what its future is. UTSA said "We are too good for FCS" and pushed to get a FBS invite as a 2 for deal with Texas State. UTSA has not put a good product out. They are another school who doesn't own their stadium (Georgia State), plays in a NFL sized venue (Georgia State)..and gets beat by ****ty opponents.

The hubris from the fans about jumping is what amuses me the most. I look forward to seeing those fans faces when Texas State and UTSA are sitting last and next to last in the WAC respectively, and Idaho is going "oh ****, we have a team we can finally ****ing beat at the FBS level"

If Georgia State actually get the Sun Belt nod, great for them, and if Charlotte gets a SBC/CUSA invite, then great for you guys, but don't thumb your nose at FCS, seeing as how you can't currently compete with us (Charlotte we'll see in 2013)

And I look forward to comparing the following things in 5-10 years: head-to-head recruiting battles and total coaching salary.

GA St vs Ga Southern
UTSA vs SFA
UNCC vs Western Carolina

I'll go ahead and put my money down on the FBS schools and by a wide margin. That's what happens when you decide to make that commitment.

It will be comparable to La Tech vs Nichols St now.

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 03:50 PM
And I look forward to comparing the following things in 5-10 years: head-to-head recruiting battles and total coaching salary.

GA St vs Ga Southern
UTSA vs SFA
UNCC vs Western Carolina

I'll go ahead and put my money down on the FBS schools and by a wide margin. That's what happens when you decide to make that commitment.

Nicholls is and always has been woefully underfunded. They've never been on par with La Tech - moneywise - even when La Tech was I-AA back in the 80's...

La. Tech enjoys a clear separation from the other FBS wannabees in Louisiana, namely ULM and USL..ULM's funding is only slightly better than say, McNeese or Northwestern's...

NinerWupAss
April 4th, 2012, 03:56 PM

You want to talk about accomplishing something? How about starting a football program in the worst economic climate in generations, when everyone said it was pointless, when the administration did not want it, when the powers that be did not want and when rival fan bases said it was impossible.

Part of the reason we act like we do is people like you told us 5 years ago we couldn't. You told us no one would care. You told us that the money wasn't there. Yet at every turn we have proven the people wrong and here we are just over a year away from kicking off in a brand new on campus stadium. So forgive me if I don't value your opinion about earning it. We have busted our *** to make this reality. All you did was show up on campus with a football team already there. You want to talk about why we should respect you? It should go the other way. What have YOU done for App football? Did you march on campus to demand a team? Did you spend money out of your own pocket to have tshirts made? To have flyers made? Did you go to Panther games to spread the word? Did you go door to door in the dorms to get students to vote for football? Did you spend hours and hours meeting with students and admins and alumni formulating how to make a dream a reality? Did you front $1,000 a seat just for the right to buy a season ticket? Did you vote to have your student fees increase to help fund the team? I can go on if you want me to. Rest assured most Charlotte supporters have done far more Charlotte football than most App fans. We built our team. You want respect? You need to give some of it. Your team has won some banners - congratulations. Our fanbase created a a team.

App can go FBS, you can stay in FCS whatever - don't care. I can't figure out if you guys are worried that we are already eclipsing you or just pissed that we are getting what you all want so bad. Charlotte is taking advantage of a moment in time that might allow us to leverage our market to move up quicker than many of us hoped. If that pisses you off then so be it.

Tuscon
April 4th, 2012, 04:00 PM
There is something seriously wrong with you people. FormerPokeCenter, for someone who hates listening to "whiny little bitches" you sure do show up in threads about Georgia State a lot. If you don't want to hear about us, try staying out of threads with Georgia State in the title.

To everyone talking about proving anything on the field, FBS vs. FCS is more about budgets than anything. The FCS just doesn't work for some schools as we are ready to make a more substantial investment in our program. I know you all know this. You don't have to be so sad we're leaving.

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 04:03 PM
You want to talk about accomplishing something? How about starting a football program in the worst economic climate in generations, when everyone said it was pointless, when the administration did not want it, when the powers that be did not want and when rival fan bases said it was impossible.

Part of the reason we act like we do is people like you told us 5 years ago we couldn't. You told us no one would care. You told us that the money wasn't there. Yet at every turn we have proven the people wrong and here we are just over a year away from kicking off in a brand new on campus stadium. So forgive me if I don't value your opinion about earning it. We have busted our *** to make this reality. All you did was show up on campus with a football team already there. You want to talk about why we should respect you? It should go the other way. What have YOU done for App football? Did you march on campus to demand a team? Did you spend money out of your own pocket to have tshirts made? To have flyers made? Did you go to Panther games to spread the word? Did you go door to door in the dorms to get students to vote for football? Did you spend hours and hours meeting with students and admins and alumni formulating how to make a dream a reality? Did you front $1,000 a seat just for the right to buy a season ticket? Did you vote to have your student fees increase to help fund the team? I can go on if you want me to. Rest assured most Charlotte supporters have done far more Charlotte football than most App fans. We built our team. You want respect? You need to give some of it. Your team has won some banners - congratulations. Our fanbase created a a team.

App can go FBS, you can stay in FCS whatever - don't care. I can't figure out if you guys are worried that we are already eclipsing you or just pissed that we are getting what you all want so bad. Charlotte is taking advantage of a moment in time that might allow us to leverage our market to move up quicker than many of us hoped. If that pisses you off then so be it.

He's a McNeese St fan, so I doubt he's done much for App football.....

"You told us no one would care."
Jury still out on this one

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Oh, Good God, Nancy, don't get your knickers in a knot!

For the 537th time, everybody commends you on starting a team from scratch. Kudos on that and more power to you....

Props for setting your sights on FBS....that's fantastic, but..c'mon....you haven't even played a ****in' game yet and you're freaking chastising schools that had the wisdom to start and support football programs decades if not generations ago...

And, as is typical of infantile programs such as yours, you're demanding to be treated as an equal and you're prepared to throw a hissy fit, stamp your feet and hold your breath until you turn blue so that we'll come to our senses and take you as seriously as you take yourselves.

Get back to us in about five years, after you've actually put a product on the field...until then, for the love of God and all things Holy, just shut the **** up already!

There's no whining and mewling in football!

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 04:07 PM
There is something seriously wrong with you people. FormerPokeCenter, for someone who hates listening to "whiny little bitches" you sure do show up in threads about Georgia State a lot. If you don't want to hear about us, try staying out of threads with Georgia State in the title.

To everyone talking about proving anything on the field, FBS vs. FCS is more about budgets than anything. The FCS just doesn't work for some schools as we are ready to make a more substantial investment in our program. I know you all know this. You don't have to be so sad we're leaving.

Why it's almost like I'm psychic or something. I mention whiny little bitches and, voila!, you appear right on cue!

I'm almost impressed, but you'll have to prove to me that you can get my order right and make exact change before I give you an attaboy ;)

Tuscon
April 4th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Why it's almost like I'm psychic or something. I mention whiny little bitches and, voila!, you appear right on cue!

I'm almost impressed, but you'll have to prove to me that you can get my order right and make exact change before I give you an attaboy ;)

Seriously, go away.

49RFootballNow
April 4th, 2012, 04:11 PM

Then you need to take your own advise and stop whining. Its all you've done since the first post you made in this thread. You and Apphole both are a bunch of little attention whores. "Look at me! Look at me! I'm the defender of all things FCS!".

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Seriously, go away.

So I guess that means you're not gonna be able to make exact change??

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Then you need to take your own advise and stop whining. Its all you've done since the first post you made in this thread. You and Apphole both are a bunch of little attention whores. "Look at me! Look at me! I'm the defender of all things FCS!".

I hate to point out the obvious flaw in your post, but in your role as self-appointed poster child for the notion of Charlotte athletic and scholastic superiority, shouldn't you be conscious of the fact that two people constitutes a "few" and that a descriptor like "a bunch" clearly signifiies more than a few?

Just saying....perhaps our fundamental disconnect stems from the fact that you're not able to adequately express yourself because of the obvious deficiencies in your understanding of commonly used words?

49RFootballNow
April 4th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I hate to point out the obvious flaw in your post, but in your role as self-appointed poster child for the notion of Charlotte athletic and scholastic superiority, shouldn't you be conscious of the fact that two people constitutes a "few" and that a descriptor like "a bunch" clearly signifiies more than a few?

Just saying....perhaps our fundamental disconnect stems from the fact that you're not able to adequately express yourself because of the obvious deficiencies in your understanding of commonly used words?

Now you're trying to Grammar Nazi me while simultaneously misspelling 'signifies'?

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Now you're trying to Grammar Nazi me while simultaneously misspelling 'signified'?

Clearly, in addition to an inability to articulate yourself properly, you apparently can't read, either....

I didn't misspell "signified"..There was an extra "i" in the word "signifies."....while I understand that you might not see how that makes much difference, I think it speaks directly to the point about the substantive differences between a few and a bunch, not to mention the substantive differences between established schools - like App State and Georgia Southern (who've talked the talk and walked the walk and who've lined up against "real football teams" and acquitted themselves very well) and start-up wannabees who've yet to play the game nor accomplish anything other than making a narcissistic spectacle of themselves....

I realize you probably see this as a meaningless segue about grammar, but it's very clearly about so much more than that... ;)

49RFootballNow
April 4th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Clearly, in addition to an inability to articulate yourself properly, you apparently can't read, either....

I didn't misspell "signified"..There was an extra "i" in the word "signifies."....while I understand that you might not see how that makes much difference, I think it speaks directly to the point about the substantive differences between a few and a bunch, not to mention the substantive differences between established schools - like App State and Georgia Southern (who've talked the talk and walked the walk and who've lined up against "real football teams" and acquitted themselves very well) and start-up wannabees who've yet to play the game nor accomplish anything other than making a narcissistic spectacle of themselves....

I realize you probably see this as a meaningless segue about grammar, but it's very clearly about so much more than that... ;)

You clearly were the smartest kid on the short bus.

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 04:45 PM
You clearly were the smartest kid on the short bus.

Okay, you get reppies for that post. Rolling over and playing possum like that is a brilliant move on your part. If I continue after you've knelt at my feet like that, then it makes me a sadistic bastard who more than likely tore wings off of flies as a child or who gets his jollied clubbing baby seals.... it's a good move, really. I'm kinda check-mated. Kudos to you!

49RFootballNow
April 4th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Okay, you get reppies for that post. Rolling over and playing possum like that is a brilliant move on your part. If I continue after you've knelt at my feet like that, then it makes me a sadistic bastard who more than likely tore wings off of flies as a child or who gets his jollied clubbing baby seals.... it's a good move, really. I'm kinda check-mated. Kudos to you!

You must have great conversations with mirrors. xcrazyx

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 05:07 PM
You must have great conversations with mirrors. xcrazyx

Project much?

TheRevSFA
April 4th, 2012, 06:36 PM

GA St vs Ga Southern
UTSA vs SFA
UNCC vs Western Carolina

Try comparing mcneese vs ULM :)

Sam vs UTSA and Texas State both would be a good one, since Sam has FBS aspirations

TheRevSFA
April 4th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Oh and compare Charlotte vs App. No one cares about WCU (no offense cmitty)

cbarrier90
April 4th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Oh and compare Charlotte vs App.

One has a team, one doesn't.

Apphole
April 4th, 2012, 06:52 PM
One has a team, one doesn't.

One has a college experience. One has Mom's house

NinerWupAss
April 4th, 2012, 07:53 PM

For the 537th time, everybody commends you on starting a team from scratch. Kudos on that and more power to you....

Props for setting your sights on FBS....that's fantastic, but..c'mon....you haven't even played a ****in' game yet and you're freaking chastising schools that had the wisdom to start and support football programs decades if not generations ago...

And, as is typical of infantile programs such as yours, you're demanding to be treated as an equal and you're prepared to throw a hissy fit, stamp your feet and hold your breath until you turn blue so that we'll come to our senses and take you as seriously as you take yourselves.

Get back to us in about five years, after you've actually put a product on the field...until then, for the love of God and all things Holy, just shut the **** up already!

I am not chastising anyone - I just don't care. We don't owe any of you anything. I am not demanding to be treated as an equal from you guys - treat us however you want - again don't care. We will go do what we do and where ever that puts us so be it. And as for in 5 years - I don't care what any one you think right now and I won't care in 5 years.

In the end you all are nothing more that fans - just like us. You have pride in your programs - just like us. Luckily people who have the ability to see through message board bull are the ones making the decisions about who goes where. We might land in FCS and so be it, we might land in FBS and thats great. Where ever we land it won't have squat to do with your little opinion on us or if we are showing any of the supposed FCS powers respect.

Now carry on with your self inflated importance of your opinion and I will go on not caring. Just don't throw crap around about where we belong or what we have to do to do anything. If we had listen to crap 5 years ago we still wouldn't have a team.

So to quote you "for the love of God and all things Holy, just shut the **** up already! "

AppMan
April 4th, 2012, 08:01 PM

The thing that concerns Ken Peacock, Charlie Cobb and a lot of others is the travel cost associated with the Sun Belt. The conference simply does not generate enough revenue from their TV package to help offset those costs. Yes, game guarantees with FBS schoos will be double what we get as a FCS program, but sending golf, tennis, soccer and track teams all over the Southeast will be very expensive. Quite frankly I'm shocked UNCC would even consider making this move. The A-10 has a much better distribution of revenues and gets multiple teams in the NCAA tournament. The Sun Belt will be a huge step backward in basketball as it has become a one bid league and this year their representative was in the stinking play in game. I honestly believe a regional FBS conference will emerge in the mid Atlantic states. I am as pro FBS as they come, but no way do I want to see ASU undo everything that has been built just to say we are FBS.

NinerWupAss
April 4th, 2012, 08:24 PM
He's a McNeese St fan, so I doubt he's done much for App football.....

"You told us no one would care."
Jury still out on this one

Well I would say that the fact that we have Hugh McColl and Jerry Richardson giving us money and have sold thousands of FSLs at $1k a pop (unheard of at the FCS level) while still not having a conference or long term home and only recently having players, that a pretty good number of people care and based on what most of you all said back years ago way more than any of you thought.

See that's why I don't care what you all think. You say you can't - then we do so you move the bar up. It's ok - say what ever you have to to yourself to keep a positive outlook for your program. Putting us down makes you feel better - fine. Just keep it up and we will keep proving you wrong. You will wake up one day and realize that we have passed right by you.

NinerWupAss
April 4th, 2012, 08:26 PM

LOL commuter college reference funny - also old as dirt. Can you at least find something new and maybe a little more relevant?

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I am not chastising anyone - I just don't care.

That's an awful lot of not caring that you've got going on there, seeing as how A.) you bothered to respond, B.) composed four paragraphs of disinterested commentary including a summation of just how much you ostensibly don't care.

Do you realize just how much not caring you've got going on there?

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Well I would say that the fact that we have Hugh McColl and Jerry Richardson giving us money and have sold thousands of FSLs at $1k a pop (unheard of at the FCS level) while still not having a conference or long term home and only recently having players, that a pretty good number of people care and based on what most of you all said back years ago way more than any of you thought.

See that's why I don't care what you all think. You say you can't - then we do so you move the bar up. It's ok - say what ever you have to to yourself to keep a positive outlook for your program. Putting us down makes you feel better - fine. Just keep it up and we will keep proving you wrong. You will wake up one day and realize that we have passed right by you.

Even more not caring going on in this post. You're perhaps the busiest not carer I've ever had the good fortune to meet on the internets....

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 08:33 PM
LOL commuter college reference funny - also old as dirt. Can you at least find something new and maybe a little more relevant?

If anybody on this thread were interested in relevant commentary, we wouldn't be discussing Georgia State nor Charlotte, now would we???? ;)

NinerWupAss
April 4th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Even more not caring going on in this post. You're perhaps the busiest not carer I've ever had the good fortune to meet on the internets....

I can state facts without caring if you believe them or not. Just want to make sure you all have the facts. I can say I don't care if you think the sky is red after I tell you it is blue. Go on thinking it is red - no sweat off my back. I will keep stating the facts and you all can believe what you want.

asumike83
April 4th, 2012, 08:48 PM
The powers that be really need to make an App/UNCC game happen. It doesn't matter if one, both or neither team is FBS when it is played, it would be great. I'm sure the atmosphere would be intense and both schools would benefit from a recruiting standpoint. AGS might explode in the week leading up to kick-off!

eaglewraith
April 4th, 2012, 09:02 PM
The powers that be really need to make an App/UNCC game happen. It doesn't matter if one, both or neither team is FBS when it is played, it would be great. I'm sure the atmosphere would be intense and both schools would benefit from a recruiting standpoint. AGS might explode in the week leading up to kick-off!

I see your game and raise you GSU vs Fake GSU.

asumike83
April 4th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I see your game and raise you GSU vs Fake GSU.

Absolutely. Both are games that need to happen! In-state games like that are part of what makes college football so great.

WH49er
April 4th, 2012, 09:35 PM

Shouldn't you be back on the Delphi forum still convince App fans that Charlotte is not starting a football team? For some reason this reminds me of your posts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA1hyqA6UTY

FormerPokeCenter
April 4th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Just want to make sure you all have the facts

I'm touched that you care ;)

cbarrier90
April 4th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Absolutely. Both are games that need to happen! In-state games like that are part of what makes college football so great.

Friday:

GA: Westlake - Statesboro
NC: West Charlotte - Watauga

Saturday:

UNCC - App in B of A Stadium
GSU - Ga. State in Georgia Dome

Sunday:

Panthers-Falcons

Make it happen...

ninerID
April 5th, 2012, 06:25 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WAi2txkagVM/SkzbTmFVncI/AAAAAAAAGVI/xmOt3uHzwRE/s400/smack_in_face_slap_computer.jpg

FormerPokeCenter
April 5th, 2012, 06:55 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WAi2txkagVM/SkzbTmFVncI/AAAAAAAAGVI/xmOt3uHzwRE/s400/smack_in_face_slap_computer.jpg

You Niner fans are REMARKABLY like USL , Georgia State and SW Texas State at San Marcos fans in that you're ALL in lock-step unison with regard to your delusional standards of what constitutes relevance...

I'm sure you found that rather shrill, lengthy and completely off point rant to be spot on, but the fact remains that despite the fact that everybody who's commented on this thread has given you major props for starting a team, you STILL haven't managed the most crucial step in the whole process, actually fielding a team and being comptetive....yet you ALL still run your mouths and act as if your success is a foregone conclusion that your team is some sort of slumbering juggernaught poised to be unleashed on the rest of the unsuspecting college football world.

It's great that you're wildly optimistic, but, sooner or later, reality has to set in and you'll have to actually perform on the field. Thomas Edison documented over 2,000 failures as he attempted to create the incandescent light bulb. Sure, it's as easy as flipping a switch NOW, but back in the day, starting from scratch, you've got a lot of trial and error to go through before you find what works.

If it were as easy as you folks seem to think it is, everybody would be successful every year.

Just what is it about Charlotte that makes you immune from the vagaries and inconsistencies of college football in the world that the rest of us mere mortals exist in???

TheRevSFA
April 5th, 2012, 07:22 AM
You Niner fans are REMARKABLY like USL , Georgia State and SW Texas State at San Marcos fans in that you're ALL in lock-step unison with regard to your delusional standards of what constitutes relevance...

I'm sure you found that rather shrill, lengthy and completely off point rant to be spot on, but the fact remains that despite the fact that everybody who's commented on this thread has given you major props for starting a team, you STILL haven't managed the most crucial step in the whole process, actually fielding a team and being comptetive....yet you ALL still run your mouths and act as if your success is a foregone conclusion that your team is some sort of slumbering juggernaught poised to be unleashed on the rest of the unsuspecting college football world.

It's great that you're wildly optimistic, but, sooner or later, reality has to set in and you'll have to actually perform on the field. Thomas Edison documented over 2,000 failures as he attempted to create the incandescent light bulb. Sure, it's as easy as flipping a switch NOW, but back in the day, starting from scratch, you've got a lot of trial and error to go through before you find what works.

If it were as easy as you folks seem to think it is, everybody would be successful every year.

Just what is it about Charlotte that makes you immune from the vagaries and inconsistencies of college football in the world that the rest of us mere mortals exist in???

Poke, they are used to ****ty teams there. Panthers..Bobcats...

Apphole
April 5th, 2012, 08:01 AM

Don't forget UNCC Basketball

2011-2012: 13-17
2010-2011: 10-20
2009-2010: 19-12
2008-2009: 11-20

TheRevSFA
April 5th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Don't forget UNCC Basketball

Apphole slams home the alley oop

asumike83
April 5th, 2012, 08:12 AM

The Bobcats deserved that, but you leave my Panthers out of this!

ASUMountaineer
April 5th, 2012, 08:28 AM

You do realize he was chastising a McNeese fan because he thought FormerPokeCenter was an ASU fan?

It's irrelevant what anyone here thinks about UNCC football. What matters is that UNCC can eventually get people in the Charlotte area to take notice and start supporting the program. That is what the other GSU is trying to accomplish as well (I think UNCC has a better chance).

I honestly don't get all of the d**k-measuring that goes on between posters on AGS. According to Cleets, no one can compete with TampaJag in that department, however he says we all must be well-endowed when compared to Ursus (aka admind**kface)

MplsBison
April 5th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Try comparing mcneese vs ULM :)

Sam vs UTSA and Texas State both would be a good one, since Sam has FBS aspirations

That's fine. I'd actually be interested to know the salaries of all the paid football coaches at all the public schools in the Sun Belt, SoCon and Southland.

NinerWupAss
April 5th, 2012, 09:01 AM

What you are missing is that with regards to conference alignment and if we play FCS ball or FBS has nothing to do with product on the field. That is all about budget and market and potential. I have not said one bit that we will come out and dominate FCS - hell I have no idea how we will do. What I do know that in the decisions about who goes to what conference and who plays at what level are being made with product on the field as one of the last considerations.

YOU consider fielding a team and being successful on the field an important step. It remains to be seen if that is in fact an issue. Successful FCS folks like to hang your hat on success at that level because for some of you that is your main attraction. Other programs like us and UTSA and GSU hang our hats on potential and market. So let me ask you what is more difficult - for UNC Boone, McNeese and some other FCS programs in smaller towns to suddenly become a large market with an exploding student body or for schools like Charlotte and GSU to put together a competitive program?

Apphole
April 5th, 2012, 09:09 AM
UNC Boone

Charlotte

Fact:
Our school's name is Appalachian State University
Your school's name is the University of North Carolina at Charlotte

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/tumblr_m1wtymtssw1qzrlhgo1_500.gif?w=500&h=521

91Niner
April 5th, 2012, 09:12 AM

Holy crap! I don't care how long you've played FCS football......you're freakin McNeese State........

Apphole
April 5th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Holy crap! I don't care how long you've played FCS football......you're freakin McNeese State........

WOW! Shows how much you know about FCS football. The parade of ignorance continues....

NinerWupAss
April 5th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Fact:
Our school's name is Appalachian State University
Your school's name is the University of North Carolina at Charlotte

Fact: Our athletics, which is what we are talking about here, go by Charlotte and have for years.

If you choose to ignore that, for what ever reason, then I will ignore your rightful name as well.

If we were comparing academics then I would agree with you.

Insert image of me giving you the finger here.

91Niner
April 5th, 2012, 09:21 AM
WOW! Shows how much you know about FCS football. The parade of ignorance continues....

Wrong again Hole.....I know about the greatness of FCS power McNeese State, however this is about more than JUST FOOTBALL. It includes the entire world of college athletics, and at the end of the day......they are freakin McNeese State.