PDA

View Full Version : Jackson State Inching Closer To NCAA Expulsion

superman7515
March 28th, 2012, 09:31 AM
More APR Sanctions For Jackson State, NCAA Eliminates 2013 Spring Practice (http://blogs.clarionledger.com/jsu/2012/03/26/more-apr-sanctions-ncaa-eliminates-2013-spring-practice/)

The NCAA has smacked the Jackson State football program with scholarship cuts, practice time reductions and postseason bans over the last few years — a result of the team’s poor academic scores.

Now, the governing body for college athletics has dealt the team, maybe, its most severe blow.

Jackson State is barred from holding spring practice next year, unless the NCAA accepts the school’s waiver request, according to documents The Clarion-Ledger obtained earlier today through a public records request.

The NCAA has also banned Jackson State from the postseason — the Southwestern Athletic Conference championship game — for the second straight season. That was expected news; the spring practice ban was not....

The university is also requesting several other penalties to be waived, including fall practice time reductions, offseason practice time reductions and scholarship cuts.

JSU filed a similar waiver request last year. The NCAA denied all requests except for one — holding off NCAA expulsion. It’s unclear if any Division I football program has been banned from spring practice because of APR.

The team finds itself here after years of its players struggling academically. Today’s documents included new academic figures. For instance, JSU graduated just two football players in 2008-09, documents show. Five graduated the next year and nine last year.

MplsBison
March 28th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I don't care how much revenue they pull in, how big their new stadium is or how much money they spend on the team.

That's not Division I.

Don't expel them from the NCAA, but moving to DII might be appropriate.

FormerPokeCenter
March 28th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I don't care how much revenue they pull in, how big their new stadium is or how much money they spend on the team.

That's not Division I.

Might you have Jackson State and Jacksonville State confused? Jacksonville renovated their stadium in 2010, while Jackson State plays in Mississippi War Veterans Stadium that was build in the 1940's.....

Aside from that, I agree that they gotta do something to fix what's wrong with Jackson State pretty quickly...

Uncle Rico's Clan
March 28th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Its crazy that they had just two football players graduate in the 2008-2009 academic year.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 28th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Until the APR is reformed, this story will play itself out again and again and again. The APR measures athlete retention more than academics, and the fact that schools like JSU have overall retention issues (mostly due to financial hardship) is something that the NCAA says that someday, someday they will address, and yet they hammer HBCUs every single year and don't address the structural problem of the APR.

I have a whole boatload of questions about his documents. For example, how many of those athletes transferred elsewhere to graduate at another institution? How many were financial hardship cases? He gives the impression of an institution that's out of control and won't stop at anything to have a winning athletics department. The trouble is JSU's athletic department isn't Kentucky's. Their level of spending is a pittance, and their athletics department loses money.

Here's a dirty little secret. A kid pays to go to Jackson State. His parents get laid off, and suddenly he has to drop out because he doesn't have the money to attend. The NCAA calls this "lack of academic progress" and thus paints the school as a renegade school. It is a gross injustice.

Futhermore, as detailed last year, the NCAA does not have the power to ban JSU from the SWAC Championship game. If he had read any article on the matter last year, he would have learned that the SWAC presidents voted to have the SCG qualify for the postseason ban, not the NCAA.

superman7515
March 28th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Their single year APR moved to 913 and the rolling APR moved to 888. Problem is, the APR is moving up to 930, so they'll be in this boat for a while. If a school can't afford the financial aspects of Division 1, including the academic side of those finances, perhaps they should look more closely at D2.

JSUBison
March 28th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I wish the only problem at JSU these days was only some low APR numbers. xsmhx

HC Comegy isn't a good judge of character, and if JSU wants to get serious about getting the APR up, how about getting rid of the coach that brought in all these kids from Boys Town? This APR thing happened under his watch. Lehigh, I don't have numbers or statistics to back this up just my gut feel for it, but I think a lot of this APR business stems not from financial hardship, but from bad seeds and/or kids simply not bright enough to handle it, and then quitting school. Not everyone is cut out for college.

kdinva
March 28th, 2012, 12:14 PM
And the hits in Jackson keep a comin'.........

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4488877

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/28/ryan-henderson-murder-jsu-football_n_1384968.html

Maybe the victim had a 3.6 GPA, and the football players were jealous.

JSUBison
March 28th, 2012, 12:16 PM

That's not Division I.

You are more right than you know. The SWAC presidents and old geezers running the show still think it's 1965. So much potential wasted.

MplsBison
March 28th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Might you have Jackson State and Jacksonville State confused? Jacksonville renovated their stadium in 2010, while Jackson State plays in Mississippi War Veterans Stadium that was build in the 1940's.....

Aside from that, I agree that they gotta do something to fix what's wrong with Jackson State pretty quickly...

I thought someone posted renderings of a new football stadium in Jackson where JSU would play.

Guess that's not on the table any time soon?

Lehigh Football Nation
March 28th, 2012, 12:31 PM
And the hits in Jackson keep a comin'.........

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4488877

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/28/ryan-henderson-murder-jsu-football_n_1384968.html

A pretty strong allegation, but as of this time it is just that, an allegation.

superman7515
March 28th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I thought someone posted renderings of a new football stadium in Jackson where JSU would play.

That's Alabama State.

LakesBison
March 28th, 2012, 03:08 PM
maybe they can join und in a fantasy league.

dgtw
March 28th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Do HBCUs still serve a purpose in 2012?

LakesBison
March 28th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Great point I see hbcu's, BET, blacksingles.com, Obama and NBA CAN WE STOP WITH THE RACISM TOWARDS WHITES ALREADY?

J-State
March 29th, 2012, 08:02 AM
HBCUs are no different than HWIs. The acronym fits both.

To address the APR issue, this could be either of our schools in the near future with low budgets. As a matter of fact, the shoe even fits on UCONN's men basketball team. It is easy for any of us to judge the coaches in these situations when we're not responsible for the actions of 18-22 year olds. It's hard enough for parents to get their children to get out of school in 4 years...so try doing that with 85 students. That doesn't excuse the APR issue and it does need to be fixed QUICKLY. However, there is progress so that is a good thing.

superman7515
March 29th, 2012, 09:02 AM
It's hard enough for parents to get their children to get out of school in 4 years...so try doing that with 85 students.

The APR gives students 6 years to graduate.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 29th, 2012, 09:04 AM
The APR gives students 6 years to graduate.

You're confusing the APR and the GSR. Official graduation rate statistics give students six years to get their degree. APR (or, as I vastly prefer to call it, ARR for Athlete Retention Rate) assigns points per semester towards progress to a degree.

superman7515
March 29th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Yes but you have to remain academically eligible for half of the points. You don't have to be on track to graduate in four years, just maintain a high enough gpa and enough credits (18 per year) to count...

Q. How many credits do I need to complete (pass) each year to maintain eligibility?

A. A minimum of 18 credit hours must be completed during the academic school year (fall and spring semesters). Also, at least 6 credit hours must be passed in each individual semester in the academic year. Summer school courses can count towards eligibility and both percentage and GPA requirements are determined by your initial semester of enrollment.

... and considering most schools require 120 credits for a bachelors degree, if you did the minimum credits you would have over 6 years.

MplsBison
March 29th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Do HBCUs still serve a purpose in 2012?

The real question is do they serve a purpose as public institutions? Back in segregation times, a black student could never go to Ole Miss or Alabama. That would've been unthinkable.

That's why public universities for African Americans, like Jackson St, Miss Valley St, Alabama St, were needed.

Now a black student in Ala or Miss who has the grades is just as likely, if not more likely, to be admitted to the flagship public schools in those states as the equivalent white student.

I say take the HBU's off the public dole and make them private colleges, similar to Clark Atlanta.

MplsBison
March 29th, 2012, 09:29 AM
That's Alabama State.

Yes I know ASU has a new stadium in the works. I'm still talking about JSU. I know there were renderings posted of a new football stadium in Jackson.

J-State
March 29th, 2012, 10:28 AM
The real question is do they serve a purpose as public institutions? Back in segregation times, a black student could never go to Ole Miss or Alabama. That would've been unthinkable.

That's why public universities for African Americans, like Jackson St, Miss Valley St, Alabama St, were needed.

Now a black student in Ala or Miss who has the grades is just as likely, if not more likely, to be admitted to the flagship public schools in those states as the equivalent white student.

I say take the HBU's off the public dole and make them private colleges, similar to Clark Atlanta.

Why take them off the public dole when most of these universities were founded prior to some of the HWIs? They are the serving the same purpose as Ole Miss, Auburn, Florida, etc. The doors of HBCUs are open to non-African American students just as the doors of LSU, Texas, etc. I could see if all HBCUs were teaching things that are irrelevant to today's society, but they are not. As a matter of fact, some HBCUs have programs that outshine their counterparts.

And I did post a stadium rendering on here a while back.

asumike83
March 29th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I believe this is the rendering of a potential new stadium:

http://www.programmanagers.com/www.programmanagers.com/portfolio/jackson_state_u/stadium05/stadium.jpg

darell1976
March 29th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Is 2009-2010 the latest APR out there? Or is there a link to the 2010-2011 year?

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/newmedia/public/rates/index.html

This is the only link I found with the year 2009-2010 year as the latest.

DFW HOYA
March 29th, 2012, 10:41 AM
One of the larger issues in Mississippi politics is not JSU, but what to do with MVSU and Alcorn, and whether the state needs to fund three HBCU's when two are small and underfunded.

http://www.rankinledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/D0/20120306/NEWS/203060322/Donations-to-colleges-vary-widely-

superman7515
March 29th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I believe Southern is going through the same thing with lawmakers wanting some of the schools merged in Louisiana.

kdinva
March 29th, 2012, 11:30 AM
A pretty strong allegation, but as of this time it is just that, an allegation.

more today:

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4489080

:( most likely all preventable.

asumike83
March 29th, 2012, 11:33 AM
more today:

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4489080

:( most likely all preventable.

Very, very sad.

Would that not be involuntary manslaughter as opposed to murder though?

MplsBison
March 29th, 2012, 02:38 PM
One of the larger issues in Mississippi politics is not JSU, but what to do with MVSU and Alcorn, and whether the state needs to fund three HBCU's when two are small and underfunded.

http://www.rankinledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/D0/20120306/NEWS/203060322/Donations-to-colleges-vary-widely-

One of my pet peeves are states that maintain multiple four-year public universities, beyond the flagship schools, when there isn't demand for them from in-state students. North Dakota is terrible for this.

Ole Miss, Miss State and So Miss could easily serve the needs of all Miss high school students who want to attend a four year public school in-state. The three HBU's and Delta are unnecessary from that perspective.

But if anyone dared suggest closing them, you'd have blacks playing the racism card to anyone and everyone who would listen. It's basically a built-in, automatic funding mechanism.

DFW HOYA
March 29th, 2012, 02:59 PM
The issue is not HBCU's but different funding mechanisms within a state legislature. The city of Chicago, for example, has three different state funded schools (UIC, Northeastern Illinois, and Chicago State) through three different funding mechanisms.

Baltimore has five different public universities within a 15 mile radius (Towson, Morgan State, Coppin State, University of Baltimore, Maryland-Baltimore County). Does it need all five? Probably not. Try telling that to a state legislator, however.

MplsBison
March 30th, 2012, 08:44 AM
The issue is not HBCU's but different funding mechanisms within a state legislature. The city of Chicago, for example, has three different state funded schools (UIC, Northeastern Illinois, and Chicago State) through three different funding mechanisms.

Baltimore has five different public universities within a 15 mile radius (Towson, Morgan State, Coppin State, University of Baltimore, Maryland-Baltimore County). Does it need all five? Probably not. Try telling that to a state legislator, however.

Well like I said - if the demand is there for those 4 year, public schools in-state, then fine.

But you can't tell me Mississippi, with all it's rural poverty needs 7 four-year public universities. No friggin way.

MplsBison
March 30th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I believe this is the rendering of a potential new stadium:

http://www.programmanagers.com/www.programmanagers.com/portfolio/jackson_state_u/stadium05/stadium.jpg

Yes, that was it. Thanks

dgtw
March 30th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Well like I said - if the demand is there for those 4 year, public schools in-state, then fine.

But you can't tell me Mississippi, with all it's rural poverty needs 7 four-year public universities. No friggin way.

You forgot MUW, so they have eight public four year colleges.

PAllen
March 30th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Very, very sad.

Would that not be involuntary manslaughter as opposed to murder though?

Uh, nope. He brought a gun to a confrontation and shot a guy in the face.

MplsBison
March 30th, 2012, 11:47 AM
You forgot MUW, so they have eight public four year colleges.

Right...so you take the big three - Ole Miss, Miss St and So Miss - as the public universities for those Miss high school students who want to stay in Mississippi and attend a public 4-year college.

The rest, turn them into private schools.

jcf5445
March 30th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Right...so you take the big three - Ole Miss, Miss St and So Miss - as the public universities for those Miss high school students who want to stay in Mississippi and attend a public 4-year college.

Similar plans have been proposed. The previous governor asked the legislature to merge MUW into MSU (it's a mere 20 miles away). He also asked to condense ASU, JSU, MVSU, and DSU into 2 universities with JSU and DSU remaining as main campuses. I don't think any proposals ever made it through the committee stage.

J-State
April 2nd, 2012, 10:58 AM

But what is your reasoning for keeping Miss State and USM open when they were founded AFTER Jackson State and Alcorn State?

Panther88
April 2nd, 2012, 02:42 PM
But what is your reasoning for keeping Miss State and USM open when they were founded AFTER Jackson State and Alcorn State?

Valid question. :)

PaladinFan
April 2nd, 2012, 03:15 PM

For the double record, Jackson State, Jacksonville State, and Jacksonville are three different FCS programs.

MplsBison
April 3rd, 2012, 09:09 PM

I didn't suggest closing JSU or merging it with another school. I suggested only to minimize the number of schools that receive state funds.

And for that purpose, history is irrelevant. The only relevant criteria is choosing those schools which will most efficiently meet the mission of educating those Miss. high school students who want a 4-year, public education in-state. Therefore keeping only UM, MSU and USM public for the number of Miss. high school students that want a public 4-year education in-state is justified.

Something like that, anyway. More or less.

Certainly less than 8 public schools.

J-State
April 4th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I didn't suggest closing JSU or merging it with another school. I suggested only to minimize the number of schools that receive state funds.

And for that purpose, history is irrelevant. The only relevant criteria is choosing those schools which will most efficiently meet the mission of educating those Miss. high school students who want a 4-year, public education in-state. Therefore keeping only UM, MSU and USM public for the number of Miss. high school students that want a public 4-year education in-state is justified.

And where is your evidence that the other 5 universities don't "efficiently meet the mission of educating those Miss. high school students..." in this great state? You do know that if push came to shove, the federal government would allow Alcorn State to stay public before Mississippi State since both are land-grant institutions and Alcorn is older (see the Tennessee State vs Univ. of Tenn court case). Anyway, all of this is moot because the state wouldn't want the hell that Jacksonians would raise if they dare tried make JSU private while "The Big 3" remain public.

MplsBison
April 4th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Not suggesting Jackson St is inefficient. It's a simple matter of size. Alcorn, Valley, Delta and MUW all have enrollments less than 5000. That's tiny for a public school. At least Jackson is around 8000.

MSU is more than 20k, USM 18k and UM 16k. There's simply no physically possible way that the smaller schools can obtain same efficiencies in providing the education as large schools.

Jaguar79
April 12th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Not suggesting Jackson St is inefficient. It's a simple matter of size. Alcorn, Valley, Delta and MUW all have enrollments less than 5000. That's tiny for a public school. At least Jackson is around 8000.

MSU is more than 20k, USM 18k and UM 16k. There's simply no physically possible way that the smaller schools can obtain same efficiencies in providing the education as large schools.

Couldn't you also argue that closing one of those bigger schools could help the enrollment of those smaller schools and the monies from that bigger school could do the same?

If that's the case, why not make all the schools private? What you just suggested would have a JSU alum's hard earned tax dollars not even going to his/her school?

Today, my tax dollars help my alma mater Southern, the school down the street, and the rest of the lot in Louisiana.

While the idea to shrink the number of choices may have some clout, you will never find a way to convince anyone that THEIR school should be one to close down in favor of someone else's.

citdog
April 12th, 2012, 02:26 PM

because bigger is ALWAYS better. why not close one of the schools in north dakota? can there really be different ways to learn how to nuzzle a moose schmeckle?

dbackjon
April 12th, 2012, 02:28 PM
because bigger is ALWAYS better. why not close one of the schools in north dakota? can there really be different ways to learn how to nuzzle a moose schmeckle?

And The Citadel should be combined with the College of Charleston - since the illegals have taken all the Bellhop jobs.

citdog
April 12th, 2012, 02:29 PM
And The Citadel should be combined with the College of Charleston - since there is no need for a state military college anymore.

we already are combined on the weekends when we bury our pork swords in their coeds.

MplsBison
April 12th, 2012, 03:01 PM
we already are combined on the weekends when we bury our pork swords in their coeds.

Didn't know that many CoC guys "went that way", if you know what I mean.

MplsBison
April 12th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Couldn't you also argue that closing one of those bigger schools could help the enrollment of those smaller schools and the monies from that bigger school could do the same?

If that's the case, why not make all the schools private? What you just suggested would have a JSU alum's hard earned tax dollars not even going to his/her school?

Today, my tax dollars help my alma mater Southern, the school down the street, and the rest of the lot in Louisiana.

While the idea to shrink the number of choices may have some clout, you will never find a way to convince anyone that THEIR school should be one to close down in favor of someone else's.

I didn't suggest closing any school.

There should be only enough public 4 year schools in a given state to meet that state's demand from high school students to attend a public 4 year school instate.

(not saying it's a bad thing for other state's high school graduates to attend the public school instate, either)

TheRevSFA
April 12th, 2012, 03:04 PM

So seeing as how no one lives in North Dakota, why not close Minot State sized schools and only have UND and NDSU for those North Dakota high schoolers?

That's effectively what you have just stated for Mississippi to do.

MplsBison
April 12th, 2012, 03:06 PM
So seeing as how no one lives in North Dakota, why not close Minot State sized schools and only have UND and NDSU for those North Dakota high schoolers?

I didn't say close any school.

Absolutely NDSU and UND should be the only public 4 year schools in ND. Privatize the rest or turn them into junior colleges.

dbackjon
April 12th, 2012, 03:09 PM

One difference - Minot to Grand Forks - 4 hour drive
Delta State to MVSU - 45 minute drive :)

TheRevSFA
April 12th, 2012, 03:10 PM
One difference - Minot to Grand Forks - 4 hour drive
Delta State to MVSU - 45 minute drive :)

and neither drive is that spectacular in regards to scenery

AmsterBison
April 12th, 2012, 03:25 PM

It's bad enough that people consider MplsBison an NDSU fan, but mistaking him for a North Dakotan goes too far! :)

I bet Mpls would be 100% behind a scheme to close 75% of ND's universities and high schools and 100% of the libraries.

TheRevSFA
April 12th, 2012, 03:26 PM
It's bad enough that people consider MplsBison an NDSU fan, but mistaking him for a North Dakotan goes too far! :)

I bet Mpls would be 100% behind a scheme to close 75% of ND's universities and high schools and 100% of the libraries.

well ****, my bad

dbackjon
April 12th, 2012, 04:39 PM

Trying to dumb down the populace to his level?