PDA

View Full Version : 2012 North Dakota Spring Football Preview

darell1976
March 26th, 2012, 09:54 AM
http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/

■We have heard good things about transfer QB Braden Hanson (North Carolina) and are interested to see how he stacks up with the existing QB’s on the roster that are fighting for that starting spot – Joey Bradley, Marcus Hendrickson, and Chris Comes. Coach Mussman has said that all 4 quarterbacks will get #1 reps initially. This can only last so long, though.

■The IPF deal has been close to a “done deal” a few times during the last 6 months. Sanford and Altru have both been rumored to be involved with the discussions and negotiations. President Kelley has stated to recruits that a deal will happen this year and shovels will be in the ground – we are still waiting (impatiently) for an announcement

■New field turf will be installed at the Alerus upon the conclusion of spring ball and will be ready to go for kick-off on August 30th for the 1st home game. Here’s to hoping it is a unique and exciting design.

Good luck to the incoming freshman, and to those battling for a spot on the starting roster!!xthumbsupx

DJKyR0
March 26th, 2012, 09:58 AM
President Kelley has stated to recruits that a deal will happen this year and shovels will be in the ground – we are still waiting (impatiently) for an announcement

Add this one to the retractable roof stadium and that UND is "the engineering school" in North Dakota.

darell1976
March 26th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Add this one to the retractable roof stadium and that UND is "the engineering school" in North Dakota.

I believe our IPF will be built this year. As for our retractable roof stadium...give it another decade or two.:p

darell1976
April 7th, 2012, 05:52 PM
http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/

■WR is a position where there is going to be more depth than ever in recent history. Tyhre Ivery (So) is an all-around athletic type receiver with good speed and quickness. Now they add freshmen Casey Young and the physical Jameer Jackson (6’3″-233). Freshman Marco Barrientos is also in the mix. All the receivers have been noticeable and it will be interesting to see who gets playing time in the 3 and 4 receiver sets.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/233951/group/Sports/

A lack of depth at the receiver position was a problem last season. Greg Hardin and McGill were the only two receivers to catch more than 14 passes. Hardin caught a team-high 43 passes for 549 yards last season while McGill finished with 34 catches for 433 yards.

So far this spring, however, receiving depth appears to be better. Jon Heimler, Tyhre Ivery, Blair Townsend, Jameer Jackson and Casey Young appear to be in the mix to complement Hardin and McGill. Heimler is the only senior.

The most visible battle will be at quarterback. Joey Bradley continues to take the No. 1 reps. Hanson, the North Carolina transfer, started at No. 4 on the depth chart when the spring season started but he was taking reps with the No. 2 unit Friday.

“I like our top two (quarterbacks) right now; they’re playing pretty well,” Mussman said. “We’re in a much better situation than we were a year ago. The battle will be who will be the No. 3 between Marcus (Hendrickson) and Chris (Comes).

“And there are guys fighting just to stay on this team. Competition will make us better.”

MplsBison
April 7th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I will be interested to see how well UND does in the Big Sky.

With UND and NDSU installing modern turf in their domes, I think that means South Dakota is the only football team in the nation that still has the old style Astroturf?

darell1976
April 7th, 2012, 07:35 PM

With UND and NDSU installing modern turf in their domes, I think that means South Dakota is the only football team in the nation that still has the old style Astroturf?

Hopefully if UND can get an air attack and they are trying with the new WR's coming in plus a herd of QB's they want to step aside from run, run, pass to mixing it up and keep the defenses guessing. UND hasn't had a major passing offense since the late 1980's. Since then they have had good QB's but running was UND's bread and butter.

TheBisonator
April 8th, 2012, 01:05 AM

They claimed on the USD board that they were putting in new turf in the Dakotadome, but I do not know if that will happen.

dakotadan
April 15th, 2012, 05:18 PM
UND has been doing a great job of covering spring ball. They started a blog called "Think Big" in anticipation of our move to the Big Sky. It features alot of good recaps, photos and video interviews from spring ball.

Think Big site (http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205408933&DB_OEM_ID=13500&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=13500&DB_LANG=C&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=)

darell1976
April 15th, 2012, 05:23 PM
UND has been doing a great job of covering spring ball. They started a blog called "Think Big" in anticipation of our move to the Big Sky. It features alot of good recaps, photos and video interviews from spring ball.

Think Big site (http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205408933&DB_OEM_ID=13500&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=13500&DB_LANG=C&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=)

I like that!!

TheBisonator
April 15th, 2012, 06:15 PM
They claimed on the USD board that they were putting in new turf in the Dakotadome, but I do not know if that will happen.

There was no more old-style turf left as of the end of last season. New turf being installed in all the three domes on the Dakotas this summer.