PDA

View Full Version : Fordham FBall Wacky Scheduling

jimbo65
March 25th, 2012, 12:40 PM
The madness continues. After losing to UConn 35-3 & Army 55-0 last year, we have just scheduled Cincinnatti for October 2012. In addition we scheduled Loch Haven or a similar name for 2012. Haven is D 2 and has lost dozens of games in a row.

The Athletic Dept's decisions continue to be weird. We had two open dates until we signed with the above. How that happened, I don't know but the fix is ridiculous, both ends of the spectrum.

Cleets
March 25th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Well... you guys did beat Columbia last year
Hey can you post the 2012 schedule..? Right here on this thread

carney2
March 25th, 2012, 01:28 PM
One says "we'll do anything for a buck."

The other says "we'll do anything for a 'W'."

Both together say "it's not easy filling open dates."

carney2
March 25th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Hey can you post the 2012 schedule..? Right here on this thread

Nothing published, but piecing it together from here, there and everywhere:

8/30 Lock Haven
9/8 @ Villanova
9/15 Cornell
9/22 @ Columbia
9/29 @ Lehigh
10/6 Georgetown
10/13 @ Cincinnati
10/20 OPEN
10/27 @ Holy Cross
11/3 @ Bucknell
11/10 Lafayette
11/17 Colgate

We seem to be missing one game at this point. This is a fairly difficult schedule, even when you slide jimbo's D-2 opponent into one of the open dates.

NOTE: Corrected to include Lock Haven on 8/30. All games are now accounted for.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 25th, 2012, 02:00 PM
9/1 is Lock Haven:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/conf-scheds-2012/patr-sched

I'm not sure I see the issue with Fordham's schedule. It carries one FBS game, one D-II game, a peppering of Ivies (importantly, crosstown rival Columbia), and a full OOC schedule that now counts. Looks pretty balanced to me. Now, last year's brutal schedule with Army and UConn is another matter entirely.

Fordham
March 25th, 2012, 02:31 PM
9/1 is Lock Haven:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/conf-scheds-2012/patr-sched

I'm not sure I see the issue with Fordham's schedule. It carries one FBS game, one D-II game, a peppering of Ivies (importantly, crosstown rival Columbia), and a full OOC schedule that now counts. Looks pretty balanced to me. Now, last year's brutal schedule with Army and UConn is another matter entirely.

Agreed.

Further, last year's wackiness was a result of Army's open date dropping into our laps after Hofstra disbanded their program and they needed a fill-in. In retrospect it was horrendous but I also don't think anyone foresaw last year's melt down. Our go-forward plan is for that one FBS game per year and preferably a BCS opponent so it better helps pay the bills. If something akin to a game at West Point drops into our laps again, I'm sure it would be considered but the plan is certainly not to have 2 of these games per year.

DFW HOYA
March 25th, 2012, 02:52 PM
If something akin to a game at West Point drops into our laps again, I'm sure it would be considered but the plan is certainly not to have 2 of these games per year.

Here's how it would work. Six non-conference games a year, assuming the PL does not expand:

1. One Eastern I-A within diving distance (Army, Buffalo, UConn, UMass, etc.), bus trip, overnight stay
2. One I-A school strictly for guarantee money (Northwestern, Iowa State, Kentucky, doesn't matter), airplane trip, overnight stay
3. Home and away with Columbia, no overnight travel required
4. Home and away with Stony Brook, no overnight travel required
5. One NEC team (URI, Central Connecticut, Monmouth etc.), bus trip, overnight
6. One CAA team, bus trip, overnight

In this scenario, two games are paid for by guarantees, two are same day, and there are only two bus trips with an overnight stay.

UNH Fanboi
March 25th, 2012, 03:17 PM
For a team like Fordham, a D2 game to start the season isn't a bad idea. Hopefully they can give the fans a W to start the season and build some momentum. It's not like they're jeopardizing a chance of qualifying for an at-large.

Seawolf97
March 25th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Really not a bad schedule. StonyBrook plays 2 FBS programs and 1 D2 which makes for limited FCS OOC games. This year is Syracuse and Army, next year Buffalo and Boston College. I would rather see we drop 1 FBS and the D2 and schedule teams from the CAA, So Con or maybe an IVY team.

Go...gate
March 25th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Agreed.

Further, last year's wackiness was a result of Army's open date dropping into our laps after Hofstra disbanded their program and they needed a fill-in. In retrospect it was horrendous but I also don't think anyone foresaw last year's melt down. Our go-forward plan is for that one FBS game per year and preferably a BCS opponent so it better helps pay the bills. If something akin to a game at West Point drops into our laps again, I'm sure it would be considered but the plan is certainly not to have 2 of these games per year.

The weather for the Army game did not help the Rams much, either.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 25th, 2012, 09:47 PM
For a team like Fordham, a D2 game to start the season isn't a bad idea. Hopefully they can give the fans a W to start the season and build some momentum. It's not like they're jeopardizing a chance of qualifying for an at-large.

Not only that, there's five home games, too, not a bad number. And Columbia is a subway ride away, so reasonably compact in terms of location.

Sammy94
March 26th, 2012, 09:08 AM
If wacky is what your looking for, look at the SHSU upcoming schedule. xconfusedx

ramMan
March 26th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Since I no longer post on the Fordham board (I have had enough of B2Bomber's personal attacks against me), I thought I'd post this here:

From today's Cincinnati Enquirer:

Fordham has replaced TCU on UC’s 2012 home football schedule, giving the Bearcats two FCS schools (formerly Division I-AA) on their seven-game home schedule. Delaware State is the other one.

“There’s a lot of I-A schools that have one (FCS team on their schedule) and will continue to have one,” said UC athletic director Whit Babcock. “But two is not ideal. When TCU was going to be in the league, it’s my understanding we were going to eight conference games. When they dropped out, it went back to seven, so we had to fill that game.”

The Fordham game is scheduled for Oct. 13, with Delaware State on Sept. 15.

Read more: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2012/03/26/fordham-replaces-tcu-on-uc-football-schedule/

Bogus Megapardus
March 26th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Since I no longer post on the Fordham board (I have had enough of B2Bomber's personal attacks against me), I thought I'd post this here.

Well, you should keep on posting here, then. We limit our personal attacks to MplsBison, who supports North Dakota State. And we very much like North Dakota State - which is why we question whether MplsBison actually is an alumnus of that institution.

Maybe the same question could be asked of your transgressor on the Fordham board, whomsoever he might be.

1standgoal
March 26th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Since I no longer post on the Fordham board (I have had enough of B2Bomber's personal attacks against me), I thought I'd post this here:

From today's Cincinnati Enquirer:

Fordham has replaced TCU on UC’s 2012 home football schedule, giving the Bearcats two FCS schools (formerly Division I-AA) on their seven-game home schedule. Delaware State is the other one.

“There’s a lot of I-A schools that have one (FCS team on their schedule) and will continue to have one,” said UC athletic director Whit Babcock. “But two is not ideal. When TCU was going to be in the league, it’s my understanding we were going to eight conference games. When they dropped out, it went back to seven, so we had to fill that game.”

The Fordham game is scheduled for Oct. 13, with Delaware State on Sept. 15.

Read more: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2012/03/26/fordham-replaces-tcu-on-uc-football-schedule/
I gave up on that board as well...thanks for posting. I hear the team is pumped for this..

ramMan
March 26th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I gave up on that board as well...thanks for posting. I hear the team is pumped for this..

Oh geez, you too! What will happen with our recruiting thread? Anyway, below is a pic of Isa Abdul-Quddus. He's on his way to the Fordham Founders Dinner tonight at the Waldorf=Astoria.

http://distilleryimage5.instagram.com/6b3ac70c778611e18bb812313804a181_7.jpg

RichH2
March 27th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I like the schedule, good balance and most importantly Rams have a new coach and I believe a better one. Team will be much much better. You have enuf talent.

NHwildEcat
March 27th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Really not a bad schedule. StonyBrook plays 2 FBS programs and 1 D2 which makes for limited FCS OOC games. This year is Syracuse and Army, next year Buffalo and Boston College. I would rather see we drop 1 FBS and the D2 and schedule teams from the CAA, So Con or maybe an IVY team.

I'd rather see SBU join the CAA.

1standgoal
March 28th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Oh geez, you too! What will happen with our recruiting thread? Anyway, below is a pic of Isa Abdul-Quddus. He's on his way to the Fordham Founders Dinner tonight at the Waldorf=Astoria.

Yeah.....had to take a break...I will probably still go on there for recruiting talk though.

ramMan
March 28th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Yeah.....had to take a break...I will probably still go on there for recruiting talk though.

Well, if you're going to go on the Fordham board for recruiting talk, here's some scoop for you: We're recruiting defensive back Alonte Dunn out of Maurice J. McDonough High School in Pomfret, Maryland. North Carolina, Penn, and Princeton are also recruiting him (per Scout). I also have some men's and women's basketball recruiting news, but I don't know if that would interest you.

Fordham
March 28th, 2012, 08:17 AM
it interests me!

terrible that you're not going there, ramMan, and wish you'd return.

1standgoal
March 28th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Well, if you're going to go on the Fordham board for recruiting talk, here's some scoop for you: We're recruiting defensive back Alonte Dunn out of Maurice J. McDonough High School in Pomfret, Maryland. North Carolina, Penn, and Princeton are also recruiting him (per Scout). I also have some men's and women's basketball recruiting news, but I don't know if that would interest you.

Yeah I saw that on Scout.com...looks like a baller...and obviously has the academics in order.

ramMan
March 28th, 2012, 12:25 PM
terrible that you're not going there, ramMan, and wish you'd return.

Not gonna happen. I'd been contemplating quitting the board since last summer when B2Bomber's attacks on me began. I've PM'd ace93 several times over the last eight months and was told he couldn't ban B2B because he logs on from an AOL account, which creates a new IP address every time one logs on. After the latest attack (following my "University Update" post about a month ago), I told ace I was quitting for good. His response was, "Why do you let B2B bother you?" Huh???

Anyway, it's unfortunate because there's a lot I'd like to share with the Fordham community (e.g., the University is starting a small undergraduate business college for 200 students at Lincoln Center). For now, I'm enjoying my time on the A-10 board. I've even gotten a couple of PM's from posters there thanking me for my increased participation.

CFBfan
March 28th, 2012, 03:01 PM
ramMan can you elaborate on the business school at lincoln center??

Go...gate
March 28th, 2012, 03:37 PM

Audi A7 - very nice wheels.

1standgoal
March 28th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Not gonna happen. I'd been contemplating quitting the board since last summer when B2Bomber's attacks on me began. I've PM'd ace93 several times over the last eight months and was told he couldn't ban B2B because he logs on from an AOL account, which creates a new IP address every time one logs on. After the latest attack (following my "University Update" post about a month ago), I told ace I was quitting for good. His response was, "Why do you let B2B bother you?" Huh???

Anyway, it's unfortunate because there's a lot I'd like to share with the Fordham community (e.g., the University is starting a small undergraduate business college for 200 students at Lincoln Center). For now, I'm enjoying my time on the A-10 board. I've even gotten a couple of PM's from posters there thanking me for my increased participation.I could not agree more.....I will be back on there during recruiting and stuff like that......but other than that...no...see back during that time ramMan....

ngineer
March 28th, 2012, 10:04 PM
One says "we'll do anything for a buck."

The other says "we'll do anything for a 'W'."

Both together say "it's not easy filling open dates."

Exactly my point on another thread about scheduling. Many times it is a mad scramble to find fillers for dates that open due to a team backing out for a better game, payday, or other reason. And some dates get locked in years in advance when the fortunes of an opponent can change quickly due to graduation, injuries, etc.

ramMan
March 29th, 2012, 12:11 PM
ramMan can you elaborate on the business school at lincoln center??

The Gabelli School of Business will develop a new undergraduate business program at Fordham's Lincoln Center campus. In 2014, 50 freshmen will be accepted to the program and it'll increase by 50 students a year for a total of 200 students. Of the 436 new beds in the dorm under construction at Lincoln Center, 200 will be given to Gabelli students. The program hasn't yet been approved, but my source says it's expected to pass.

BTW, the scaffolding on Hughes Hall, new home to the Gabelli School of Business, has been removed this week (see pic below). The building is expected to open on time in August.

http://p.twimg.com/ApGB6DbCQAAW7-R.jpg:large

CFBfan
March 29th, 2012, 03:48 PM
that's great, thanks for getting back on this. another question: will they allow current students at FU to xfer there?

JoltinJoe
March 31st, 2012, 06:57 AM
Hughes Hall looks better than ever.

Will definitely miss you ramMan ... consistently you are the best poster on the Fordham boards. I understand your decision, though. That guy is out-of-control. Unfortunately, we get to keep him and lose you.

JoltinJoe
March 31st, 2012, 06:57 AM
Hughes Hall looks better than ever.

Will definitely miss you ramMan ... consistently you are the best poster on the Fordham boards. I understand your decision, though. That guy is out-of-control. Unfortunately, we get to keep him and lose you.