PDA

View Full Version : Future PL-Ivy Scheduling

DFW HOYA
March 25th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Last week, the Lafayette message board noted that the Patriot League has pulled down all non-scholarship opponents from its 2013 scheduling grid. Is this to accomodate all the I-A teams Fordham is trying to sign, or has the Ivy League begun to dial back its series with the six scholarship schools?

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/patr/genrel/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/2013PLonlyFootballSchedule.pdf

TheValleyRaider
March 25th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Well, I can't say I remember looking at the grid before, but it looks like they pulled all non-conference games from the schedule. I suppose it could mean something, but I'm not sure at this point. Our future schedule has plenty of scholarship schools on it still, and as far as I know that hasn't changed

Fordham
March 25th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Last week, the Lafayette message board noted that the Patriot League has pulled down all non-scholarship opponents from its 2013 scheduling grid. Is this to accomodate all the I-A teams Fordham is trying to sign, or has the Ivy League begun to dial back its series with the six scholarship schools?

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/patr/genrel/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/2013PLonlyFootballSchedule.pdf

xconfusedx :(

Looks like it's a listing of in conference games only.

Why the Fordham swipe and why the need to spin it as "the league pulling down all non-scholarship opponents"? Are you saying that no PL school has a CAA or other scholarship team on their schedule this year? I don't see them listed either but figure there should be a few as there always are. Why did you make it sound like they scrubbed only non scholarship schools from the list?

Ivytalk
March 25th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Harvard booked Georgetown for 2014 after the San Diego home-and-home series is completed in 2013.

Sader87
March 25th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Wasn't the raison d'etre for the creation of the Patriot League (nee Colonial League) to be a sister conference for the Ancient 8? I can't see Harvard, Dartmouth or Brown dropping Holy Cross for non-scholarship schools anytime soon even given our change with regards to scholarships.

All regards to DFW but it sounds like more "Hoya paranoia" to me.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 25th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I noticed this too but I've been, um, preoccupied this past week for some unknown reason. :D

FWIW Cornell's 2013 schedule hasn't changed, with OOC dates with Bucknell, Colgate and Monmouth:

http://cornellbigred.com/schedule.aspx?path=football&schedule=599

Dartmouth still has Bucknell and Holy Cross:

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=48874&SPID=4719&DB_OEM_ID=11600&Q_SEASON=2013

So I don't know what to make of it.

DFW HOYA
March 25th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Wasn't knocking Fordham, although with this talk of playing at Cincinnati it seems the Rams are willing to take all comers. Could Fordham settle into a rotation of two I-A games a year? It helps pay the bills.

And FWIW, the PL has also taken down the 2012 non-conference schedule, too. My guess is that as teams continue to shake up schedules, the league isn't interested in maintaining a schedule grid until it is set in stone. But it's no stretch that while some Ivy schools will continue games with the PL, some are moving in another direction.

Go...gate
March 25th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Maybe a new school being added to the league?

Go...gate
March 25th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Wasn't knocking Fordham, although with this talk of playing at Cincinnati it seems the Rams are willing to take all comers. Could Fordham settle into a rotation of two I-A games a year? It helps pay the bills.

And FWIW, the PL has also taken down the 2012 non-conference schedule, too. My guess is that as teams continue to shake up schedules, the league isn't interested in maintaining a schedule grid until it is set in stone. But it's no stretch that while some Ivy schools will continue games with the PL, some are moving in another direction.

No question that GU, as presently constituted aid-wise, will be getting more Ivy matchups. On the other hand, I cannot help wondering if Colgate will experience a further reduction in Ivy football matchups. We already cannot get games with Penn, Harvard, Columbia, Brown and Dartmouth.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 25th, 2012, 09:45 PM

Hm. xeyebrowx

Franks Tanks
March 26th, 2012, 08:14 AM
As we have said before the traditional games will remain.

Colgate- Cornell
Lafayette- Penn
Cross- Dartmouth/Brown

I wouldn't be surpised if the less traditional games like Yale- Lafayette go away, or are much less frequent. Expect 2 or 3 Ivies per year. I do think the days of 4 Ivy OOC games will be gone with scholarships.

Bogus Megapardus
March 26th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Lafayette is a non-overnight day trip for Penn, Columbia and Princeton. Same with Brown and Harvard for Holy Cross and Cornell for Colgate. As a matter of simple geography and away-from-class economics, it would seem to make sense that these schools would continue to play, irrespective of the fact that they've been doing so for well over a century.

Georgetown will get more games even though it has comparatively little history with Ivy. Georgetown is an overnight for all Ivy (and a flight for some) but considering the mindset on Alexander Street, the Old Boys might well go out of their way to thumb their noses at the rest of us.

Once they get a taste of the Multi-Sport Sandbox, I have a feeling that players and coaches at Penn and Princeton (if given a voice) would much prefer their old stand-bys. But if the team gets a weekend at the Fairfax or the St. Regis, that might be consolation enough to make it palatable. Beats the hell out of the Larry Holmes Motor Inn every time.

Ivytalk
March 26th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Lafayette is a non-overnight day trip for Penn, Columbia and Princeton. Same with Brown and Harvard for Holy Cross and Cornell for Colgate. As a matter of simple geography and away-from-class economics, it would seem to make sense that these schools would continue to play, irrespective of the fact that they've been doing so for well over a century.

Georgetown will get more games even though it has comparatively little history with Ivy. Georgetown is an overnight for all Ivy (and a flight for some) but considering the mindset on Alexander Street, the Old Boys might well go out of their way to thumb their noses at the rest of us.

Once they get a taste of the Multi-Sport Sandbox, I have a feeling that players and coaches at Penn and Princeton (if given a voice) would much prefer their old stand-bys. But if the team gets a weekend at the Fairfax or the St. Regis, that might be consolation enough to make it palatable. Beats the hell out of the Larry Holmes Motor Inn every time.
Harvard has a road game against Holy Cross and a home game against Lafayette (after a year off) scheduled for 2013. I think the two leagues are too similar academically and athletically to drop each other altogether.

Bill
March 26th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Beats the hell out of the Larry Holmes Motor Inn every time.

classic. It's now furniture store, but classic. +1

DFW HOYA
March 26th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Once they get a taste of the Multi-Sport Sandbox, I have a feeling that players and coaches at Penn and Princeton (if given a voice) would much prefer their old stand-bys.

However spartan the MSF is, it's a huge step above where the Hoyas used to play, which has since been declared unplayable for any team play. Last year, a maintenance worker fell through a ventilation shaft on the field and was seriously injured.

http://blog.georgetownvoice.com/2011/06/20/man-falls-15-feet-into-yates-vent-shaft/

Bogus Megapardus
March 26th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Last year, a maintenance worker fell through a ventilation shaft on the field and was seriously injured.

I understand that the maintenance worker then hired Sandra Fluke, Esquire, who promptly was awarded a punitive damage settlement of $10 million against her alma mater. So much for the wild dreams of indoor plumbing at MSF, at least in this millennium.

carney2
March 26th, 2012, 01:22 PM

The rumor is that the Patriot League, currently at 7 for football wants to go to a maximum of 9 so that there would still be room for 3 OOC games while still playing a complete round robin. Three schools are lobbying for those two additional spots

The Pennsylvania State University - reeling from their child abuse scandal and looking to de-emphasize football while upgrading their academic standing.
Swarthmore College - looking to reintroduce football which they miss so much.
Dartmouth College - not feeling real at home in the Ancient 8 these days.

Haven't we beaten this dead horse enough?!

carney2
March 26th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Harvard has a road game against Holy Cross and a home game against Lafayette (after a year off) scheduled for 2013. I think the two leagues are too similar academically and athletically to drop each other altogether.

Our very own irascible yet lovable Bogie, the leading proponent of "the Ivys want nothing to do with schollie schools" movement would opine that the operative word in your statement is "altogether."

Bogus Megapardus
March 26th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Our very own irascible yet lovable Bogie, the leading proponent of "the Ivys want nothing to do with schollie schools" movement would opine that the operative word in your statement is "altogether."

I would opine as you suggest, carney2, except that I have a very firm recollection, bathed in red ink, of Prof. Schleuter's admonition that the term, "altogether" never has been accepted as a "word" (operative or otherwise) in Standard English Usage. IvyTalk's decision to employ it in this context ought to be viewed as nothing more than a ruse by the Ossifying Eight to try to keep us under their waning influence.

I will have none of it. Tim Murphy would do well to think back and ponder his time as a Lafayette assistant.

DFW HOYA
March 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Has any school publicly expressed recent interest in the PL? I'm thinking that other than NJIT (who really needs a home), there probably aren't a lot of active entrants.

TheValleyRaider
March 26th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Has any school publicly expressed recent interest in the PL? I'm thinking that other than NJIT (who really needs a home), there probably aren't a lot of active entrants.

Bryant, I think?

Lehigh Football Nation
March 26th, 2012, 02:22 PM
The rumor is that the Patriot League, currently at 7 for football wants to go to a maximum of 9 so that there would still be room for 3 OOC games while still playing a complete round robin. Three schools are lobbying for those two additional spots

The Pennsylvania State University - reeling from their child abuse scandal and looking to de-emphasize football while upgrading their academic standing.
Swarthmore College - looking to reintroduce football which they miss so much.
Dartmouth College - not feeling real at home in the Ancient 8 these days.

This horse ain't dead. You'll see.

TheValleyRaider
March 26th, 2012, 02:23 PM

We got scholarships, what else could we talk about?

van
March 26th, 2012, 02:23 PM
xdeadhorsex
Has any school publicly expressed recent interest in the PL? I'm thinking that other than NJIT (who really needs a home), there probably aren't a lhttp://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/smilies/deadhorse.gifot of active entrants.

Ivytalk
March 26th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I would opine as you suggest, carney2, except that I have a very firm recollection, bathed in red ink, of Prof. Schleuter's admonition that the term, "altogether" never has been accepted as a "word" (operative or otherwise) in Standard English Usage. IvyTalk's decision to employ it in this context ought to be viewed as nothing more than a ruse by the Ossifying Eight to try to keep us under their waning influence.

I will have none of it. Tim Murphy would do well to think back and ponder his time as a Lafayette assistant.

So if I were to say about a lovely naked babe, "She looks smokin' hot in the altogether," you'd have no concept of what I meant?xconfusedx:D

And I'll bet Murphy wants to forget those heady days...xcoolx

Bogus Megapardus
March 26th, 2012, 02:38 PM

No one that I'm aware of. NJIT (aka the Newark College of Engineering) should have considered its potential conference affiliation prior to its ill-advised move to Division I. But I still don't see the PL as being in any kind of rush, Not even close. Had nearby Stevens Tech reinstated football and moved to Division I, that would have been different.

As things unfold, the the right expansion candidates will step forward, I'm sure. It could be a name that nobody expects. But it will take time. Five years from now I expect that the PL will look exactly as is does right now.

carney2
March 26th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Maybe, but if I'm Georgetown I would not willingly commit to a scenario of 0-6 PL records every year.

Why not? They've done it in the past.

DFW HOYA
March 26th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Why not? They've done it in the past.

And that's exactly why it won't be repeated.

carney2
March 26th, 2012, 03:18 PM
This horse ain't dead. You'll see.

It will happen. It is inevitable. It may even occur sooner than some think. Barring the unlikely total and imminent collapse of the CAA however, it is hard to conceive of a candidate, that has not already been kicked, prodded, shaken and turned both upside down and inside out on this board - and probably many, many times over. Enough, already.

Bogus Megapardus
March 26th, 2012, 03:59 PM
So if I were to say about a lovely naked babe, "She looks smokin' hot in the altogether," you'd have no concept of what I meant?

Of course I'd know. But the smokin' hot babe almost certainly would not be a graduate of either your alma mater or mine. That's a given. And she wouldn't look like anything Prof. Schlueter has seen, either. So there'd be little relevant context from a purely linguistic standpoint.

PAllen
March 26th, 2012, 11:14 PM
So I seem to have been wildly successful with the VMI conjecture on the other thread a while ago, so let's try again...

Dead Horse = Rochester?

Ivytalk
March 27th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Of course I'd know. But the smokin' hot babe almost certainly would not be a graduate of either your alma mater or mine. That's a given. And she wouldn't look like anything Prof. Schlueter has seen, either. So there'd be little relevant context from a purely linguistic standpoint.

You mean you missed Playboy's Women of the Patriot League issue?;)

RichH2
March 27th, 2012, 08:14 AM
It is somewhat telling that a good portion of this thread involves a linguisitic dispute between the IL and PL. How long til the season starts,I am altogether tired of waiting.

Bogus Megapardus
March 27th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Women of the Patriot League

http://www.lehighsports.com/assets/1/Photos/554x363/4.jpg

Ivytalk
March 27th, 2012, 10:16 AM
It is somewhat telling that a good portion of this thread involves a linguisitic dispute between the IL and PL. How long til the season starts,I am altogether tired of waiting.

It is also telling that part of a football thread involves hot babes. I ran into one of the "Women of the Ivy League" one summer, a Harvard classmate who was sunning herself in the near-altogether on a float in Cozumel. Never got to first base: my parents were there.

Ivytalk
March 27th, 2012, 10:17 AM
http://www.lehighsports.com/assets/1/Photos/554x363/4.jpg

Yummy! Harvard has to import its cheerleaders from Somerville.

RichH2
March 27th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Altogether a nice photo. Bogie we haven't had our Upton fix in quite a while Just saying......

Bogus Megapardus
March 27th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Altogether a nice photo. Bogie we haven't had our Upton fix in quite a while Just saying......

Kate is preparing for the upcoming season at the moment, so she can't come to the board right now. In the meantime, her people have asked me to send everyone this:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9572/kateuptonguesslinger201.jpg

RichH2
March 27th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Just plain mean....

Bogus Megapardus
March 27th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Just plain mean....

You're right. That one was a bit much. I've replaced it with something more palatable.

RichH2
March 27th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Do love your UVI spent many an ill considered Spring break there. My roommate's family had a house there. I'm all for PL Bball tournament to be held there.And any other Winter sport UVI has

MplsBison
March 27th, 2012, 12:31 PM
You mean you missed Playboy's Women of the Patriot League issue?;)

Women are allowed in?

carney2
March 27th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Women are allowed in?

A few. Most are apparently playing in the Lafayette defensive line.

van
March 27th, 2012, 05:49 PM
A few. Most are apparently playing in the Lafayette defensive line.

Kinda harsh there Carney.

carney2
March 27th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Kinda harsh there Carney.

I'm pretty sure you were at number 147 in November. Tell me where I'm wrong.

van
March 28th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I'm pretty sure you were at number 147 in November. Tell me where I'm wrong.

Just a whooping by a superior team, not challenging our guys gender after our loss to NDSU.

Pard4Life
April 1st, 2012, 09:17 AM
You guys are seriously crazy.

The Patriot League schedule "take down" means nothing. Those schedules have been posted there as early as 2006 and projected through 2012. It is now 2012 and they were never extended beyond that date.

Those schedules were often very wrong with dates and opponents. In other words, never updated. LC has always had future schedules and the PL site never reflected what we had scheduled.

If the Ivies are so afraid of scheduling scholarship teams, then why are continuing to schedule Fordham after three years?

Don't put much stock into what Harvard's Murphy says. He speaks his mind. He also thinks the Ivies should be in the playoffs.

And guess what? Lehigh has owned Harvard without schollies and we can't beat the Crimson. The trend will continue regardless....

Ivytalk
April 1st, 2012, 06:56 PM
You guys are seriously crazy.

The Patriot League schedule "take down" means nothing. Those schedules have been posted there as early as 2006 and projected through 2012. It is now 2012 and they were never extended beyond that date

Those schedules were often very wrong with dates and opponents. In other words, never updated. LC has always had future schedules and the PL site never reflected what we had scheduled.

If the Ivies are so afraid of scheduling scholarship teams, then why are continuing to schedule Fordham after three years?

Don't put much stock into what Harvard's Murphy says. He speaks his mind. He also thinks the Ivies should be in the playoffs.

And guess what? Lehigh has owned Harvard without schollies and we can't beat the Crimson. The trend will continue regardless....

Lehigh hasn't "owned" Harvard. The rivalry was even in recent years, and their last win over us was aided by a horrible call. And Lafayette beat us at home recently.