PDA

View Full Version : 100 days left of transition!!!

darell1976
March 23rd, 2012, 09:13 AM
For the University of North Dakota, and the University of South Dakota the long wait for postseason is down to its last 100 days. In 2007 UND, and USD spent its last year in the North Central Conference of DII announcing it was moving up to DI like their brothers NDSU, and SDSU did in 2004. In 2008 they were accepted into the Great West Football Conference with UC Davis, Cal Poly, and Southern Utah.

UND got their first win vs a DI opponent on Sept 18th, 2008 at Idaho State, while USD got their first win vs a DI opponent on Nov 15, 2008 at Southern Utah.

In 2009 UND got their first win over a ranked opponent beating #16 Cal Poly 31-17.

USD got their first FBS win in 2010 at Minnesota shocking the Gophers in their new stadium.

In 2011 UND was accepted into the Big Sky Conference as a full member along with Southern Utah while Cal Poly and UC Davis was accepted as football-only members. USD was accepted as a member of the MVFC and began their first season as members of the Summit League. Cal Poly wrapped up a share of the GWFC title with the other half going to the winner of the UND-USD game, and after UND trailed 37-17 to start the 4th quarter UND scored 3 touchdowns to win the game 38-37 and shared the other half of the GWFC title.

2008-2011 Transition records:
UND: 23-20 overall, 13-14 vs FCS, 0-5 vs FBS
USD: 21-22 overall, 10-18 vs FCS, 1-3 vs FBS

2012 opens the door to bigger challeges for both UND, and USD. A new conference, new teams, and something more on the line besides a conference title.

BEAR
March 23rd, 2012, 09:15 AM
Congrats! xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxs mileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

darell1976
March 23rd, 2012, 09:19 AM
Congrats! xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxs mileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

One of our biggest road wins was at UCA in 2009 in our 4th trip to the south that year (2 trips to TX, 1 to LA, and 1 to AR). I hope our teams can meet again when its financially possible. (no hard feelings about the buyout..it happens.)

DJKyR0
March 23rd, 2012, 09:57 AM
This is assuming that the nickname doesn't put all this on hold, or worse.

darell1976
March 23rd, 2012, 10:04 AM
This is assuming that the nickname doesn't put all this on hold, or worse.

Alcorn State is still in DI and playoff eligible. They are the only DI school besides UND that is on sanctions for their nickname.

BlueHenSinfonian
March 23rd, 2012, 10:51 AM
Alcorn State is still in DI and playoff eligible. They are the only DI school besides UND that is on sanctions for their nickname.

From what I'm reading about Alcorn it looks like they go by the 'Braves' nickname during the regular season, then switch to the "A's" for the postseason to get around sanctions. Can they do that year after year? If so, why can't UND do the same thing?

darell1976
March 23rd, 2012, 11:07 AM
From what I'm reading about Alcorn it looks like they go by the 'Braves' nickname during the regular season, then switch to the "A's" for the postseason to get around sanctions. Can they do that year after year? If so, why can't UND do the same thing?

They can go by whatever name in the postseason except Braves they just can't have Braves on their jerseys nor can they host a NCAA tournament game. UND is going by North Dakota in the NCAA hockey tournament and as of now cannot host a playoff game (even thought the next sports to host one would be either volleyball or football since we aren't playoff eligible until July 1st).

BisonHype!
March 23rd, 2012, 12:45 PM
I am fully aware this is a FCS Football Forum, but I just filled out my NCAA Hockey Tournament Bracket. 1st off... I do root for UND in hockey. ONLY IN HOCKEY! Anyways... They got boned by getting a #1 seed and having to play in the West Region in the Xcel, home of the Gophers, which are also in that bracket. The Gophs should have been put in another bracket. If anything, Minn-Duluth should have been in the West, and the Gophs should be in the Midwest or East. That is some bull crap. Home games when your not even the #1 seed?!?!?!!

darell1976
March 23rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
I am fully aware this is a FCS Football Forum, but I just filled out my NCAA Hockey Tournament Bracket. 1st off... I do root for UND in hockey. ONLY IN HOCKEY! Anyways... They got boned by getting a #1 seed and having to play in the West Region in the Xcel, home of the Gophers, which are also in that bracket. The Gophs should have been put in another bracket. If anything, Minn-Duluth should have been in the West, and the Gophs should be in the Midwest or East. That is some bull crap. Home games when your not even the #1 seed?!?!?!!

UND has had lots of success at the Xcel...winning the WCHA tournament 3 years in a row including beating the Gophers this year. It is going to be a tough tourny for UND and for any team but you never know what will happen...UND fans will be in St. Paul since its almost a home game for them.

BisonHype!
March 23rd, 2012, 01:17 PM
Doesn't matter, the Gophers shouldn't get home ice as a #2 seed.

darell1976
March 23rd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Doesn't matter, the Gophers shouldn't get home ice as a #2 seed.

They did it for $$$. If Minnesota went east attendance wouldn't be as great as across the river.

BisonHype!
March 23rd, 2012, 01:43 PM
They did it for $$$. If Minnesota went east attendance wouldn't be as great as across the river.

So they do it for money, and that is the right answer? C'mon, special treatment every year because of your location gives you an advantage and that is not right. Not right for the fans (for the teams other than UM), not right for the players.

darell1976
March 23rd, 2012, 02:13 PM
So they do it for money, and that is the right answer? C'mon, special treatment every year because of your location gives you an advantage and that is not right. Not right for the fans (for the teams other than UM), not right for the players.

In the eyes of the NCAA it is. Attendance = money.

NDB
March 23rd, 2012, 02:24 PM
Dude.

They do this all the time for minor sports - hockey, womens basketball, etc...

darell1976
March 23rd, 2012, 02:42 PM
Dude.

They do this all the time for minor sports - hockey, womens basketball, etc...

Exactly this is nothing new for college hockey: in 2011 the NE regional was in Manchester, NH the #4 seed to play there was New Hampshire. Each team is seeded with geography in mind to raise attendance. 2006 Engelstad Arena hosted the West Regional...Holy Cross, Minnesota, Michigan and UND was in that region.

AmsterBison
March 23rd, 2012, 02:50 PM
So what was the biggest highlight of UND's transition period?

darell1976
March 23rd, 2012, 03:00 PM
So what was the biggest highlight of UND's transition period?

#1 Becoming a member of the Big Sky Conference!!!!

BEAR
March 23rd, 2012, 03:23 PM
One of our biggest road wins was at UCA in 2009 in our 4th trip to the south that year (2 trips to TX, 1 to LA, and 1 to AR). I hope our teams can meet again when its financially possible. (no hard feelings about the buyout..it happens.)

Yeah, that game kinda shocked me..we had control of it pretty good then your field goal blocker blocked two of our field goals..man that dude was fast! Our o-line was weak on that side anyway and he made us look high school. Did he ever go pro? I was in the end zone behind your Defense screaming hike the whole time trying to throw him off his game...didn't work. xlolx As for this year, I was looking forward to going. But I heard finances at UCA are stretched so thin they aren't even hirinig new employees just replacing lost ones. Division I costs are going to take a few years getting used to for our fan base. Notice we take one or two paying games a year? There's a reason. xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
March 23rd, 2012, 03:39 PM

Whether it is right in theory or not does not mean much when it comes to being able to pay the bills in the real world.

The NCAA needs to make money...or lose as little as possible on this stuff if you'd like to see it continue.

The #1 seed will get all the usual benefits that a #1 seed would get in any other region I bet. The fact that they have a shot of getting two very close in proximity teams in the top game in an arena that is fairly accepsible to both of those schools makes sense.

I imagine the NCAA hosting it takes away any barriers that UND would usually have if this were a true Minny home game doesn't it?

Gotta look at the big picture instead of focusing on minutia in these situations.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 23rd, 2012, 03:43 PM
Down to the end UND, good job for making it this far and hope it goes the way it should to gain full acceptance and recognition. Tough road as SDSU, NDSU, UCA, & others all know and hopefully you guys bring all the fun and excitement that those programs have to FCS & Division 1.

BisonHype!
March 23rd, 2012, 04:03 PM
Whether it is right in theory or not does not mean much when it comes to being able to pay the bills in the real world.

The NCAA needs to make money...or lose as little as possible on this stuff if you'd like to see it continue.

The #1 seed will get all the usual benefits that a #1 seed would get in any other region I bet. The fact that they have a shot of getting two very close in proximity teams in the top game in an arena that is fairly accepsible to both of those schools makes sense.

I imagine the NCAA hosting it takes away any barriers that UND would usually have if this were a true Minny home game doesn't it?

Gotta look at the big picture instead of focusing on minutia in these situations.

It is still an unfair advantage that has been unearned by the gophers. I understand the money issue, I understand UND can't host. All I am saying is that the Gophers, not a #1 seed, should not receive home ice. I'm sorry that is just wrong in my opinion. Waters down the regular season. All they have to do is get in the playoffs and you get home ice. Stupid.

Silenoz
March 23rd, 2012, 04:18 PM

Wow, that's the first I've heard of that xlolx

344Johnson
March 23rd, 2012, 04:26 PM
It is still an unfair advantage that has been unearned by the gophers. I understand the money issue, I understand UND can't host. All I am saying is that the Gophers, not a #1 seed, should not receive home ice. I'm sorry that is just wrong in my opinion. Waters down the regular season. All they have to do is get in the playoffs and you get home ice. Stupid.

To counter your point, shouldn't the Gophers (possibly the best #2 seed) get the region close to them? They still play a 3 instead of a 4 like UND gets to play.

darell1976
March 23rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
Yeah, that game kinda shocked me..we had control of it pretty good then your field goal blocker blocked two of our field goals..man that dude was fast! Our o-line was weak on that side anyway and he made us look high school. Did he ever go pro? I was in the end zone behind your Defense screaming hike the whole time trying to throw him off his game...didn't work. xlolx As for this year, I was looking forward to going. But I heard finances at UCA are stretched so thin they aren't even hirinig new employees just replacing lost ones. Division I costs are going to take a few years getting used to for our fan base. Notice we take one or two paying games a year? There's a reason. xlolx

The guy was Broc Bellmore he was one of the best DL that played at UND. He was a senior in 2011 so I wonder if he will end up in the NFL or at least in the CFL.

BEAR
March 23rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
The guy was Broc Bellmore he was one of the best DL that played at UND. He was a senior in 2011 so I wonder if he will end up in the NFL or at least in the CFL.

9 blocked kicks for his career. Benching 440. He's got to go somewhere. 2009 was a bad year for UCA losing 7 games by a total of 23 points. Frustrating. That game just represented the norm for that year.

Yote 53
March 26th, 2012, 03:20 PM
To get back on track, correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like USD is already done and has received its letter from the NCAA.

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/news/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=6974

Does UND have one of these pieces of paper yet?

darell1976
March 26th, 2012, 03:39 PM
To get back on track, correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like USD is already done and has received its letter from the NCAA.

I haven't heard anything...I posted this question on the siouxsports board to see if anyone else has heard. I just hope our nickname is not preventing the NCAA on the study. UND proved it can comply to the sanctions with class, and hopefully the politics in this can pass. As for South Dakota...Congratulations!!!!!

darell1976
March 26th, 2012, 05:29 PM

A poster on ss said that the NCAA was on campus to go over the study process with UND at Christmas time. So hopefully it won't be long before UND gets their letter.

frozennorth
March 26th, 2012, 07:29 PM
would/could the ncaa hold up or deny reclassification due to nickname disputes?

tourguide
March 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM

Let's hope so

LakesBison
March 26th, 2012, 08:00 PM
tourguide. im sure the ncaa president LOVED getting booed when he appeared on the big screen at xcel hockey game by und fans.

im suuuuree he loved it!

Thundar
March 26th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Let's hope so

no best case would be grant them then after the vote in June revoke it....that would be EPIC funny

Go Bison
March 27th, 2012, 10:02 AM

The Gophers didn't receive home ice but did get a chance to play close to home. The Gophers play on a bigger sheet of ice at their arena than the Xcel. The Xcel is not where the Gophers play their home games. Also the Gophers won the regular season but they did not win the Final Five. With all this being said, how come the attendance was so poor at the Xcel on Sunday? Surely, both the Gophers and UND should have brought more fans than 11,000 when the Xcel seats 19,000+.

darell1976
March 27th, 2012, 10:18 AM

Hard to say. Alcorn State is the only DI team still on nickname sanctions however they were already an established DI school when the 2005 took place. I think it has more to do with the school itself (money, scholarships, etc.) than the nickname. Especially when its the not the school that is choosing to have the nickname but a state law. UND can only follow what the SBoHE says and they have to follow the state law. C'mon NDSC please rule it unconstitutional and end this.

LakesBison
March 27th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Go Bison short answer. no one cares outside the 4000-5000 crazy diehards on each side.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 27th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Go Bison short answer. no one cares outside the 4000-5000 crazy diehards on each side.

Absolutely true but so what? There are a lot of college sports that don't draw near that well. The thing abut the Hockey fans is that they are better at supporting the sport than the fans of those other sports and there are more of them. So what is the point exactly?

SDFS
March 27th, 2012, 09:42 PM
The Gophers didn't receive home ice but did get a chance to play close to home. The Gophers play on a bigger sheet of ice at their arena than the Xcel. The Xcel is not where the Gophers play their home games. Also the Gophers won the regular season but they did not win the Final Five. With all this being said, how come the attendance was so poor at the Xcel on Sunday? Surely, both the Gophers and UND should have brought more fans than 11,000 when the Xcel seats 19,000+.

I think the gut punch at the Final 5 kept a lot of Gopher fans at home plus the ticket prices were a bit high. I know this is true with the group of 6 that I go to the games with... I am the only one in that group that went to the game (NOTE: I am the only Sioux fan in the group). Plus, the Gophs have been down for a 3 or 4 years - it is starting to get to the Goph fans and Minnesota sports fans in general. It has been a rough sports market for the locals.. If they make a run to the Championship this year - you will see lots of Gopher fans - count on it.

SDFS
March 27th, 2012, 10:17 PM
FYI - a regional final game with 11,000 is typical. I think that the NCAA prices had a lot to do with it.. regional final prices for upper level - $68.00. Grand Forks holds the West Region record for attendance with an average of 11,492.

The WCHA Final Five pricing $45.00 lower level - $20.00 upper level. Typical game has around 9,000 to 19,000 and they average around 13,000. If you have never been to the WCHA final five you have to go.. great hockey plus St. Patrick’s day in St. Paul, MN - absolute blast.

SDFS
March 27th, 2012, 10:31 PM
To counter your point, shouldn't the Gophers (possibly the best #2 seed) get the region close to them? They still play a 3 instead of a 4 like UND gets to play.

The regional hosts are known years in advance and because the Gophs are in one of the northern metro areas they tend to host either a West Regional or Frozen 4 every other year. I believe that this is the 4 straight year for MSP. It is just the way it is.. When MSP is hosting a regional the Gophers are automatically assigned to that region if they make it in. It is the same with all the four regions.

West Regional MSP Host - 00, 03, 05, 09, 10, 12
Frozen 4 - 02 and 11

LakesBison
March 27th, 2012, 10:57 PM
any more excuses? its a D2 tourney, congrats on being a part of it. haha