PDA

View Full Version : SMU QB Kyle Padron transferring to EWU

Screamin_Eagle174
March 8th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Posted this in the other thread about the TSN article pertaining to FCS contenders, but figured I'd post it here as well.

Padron, 6-foot-4, 233 pounds, set a Mustangs passing record in 2010 with 3,828 yards and 31 touchdowns.

J.J. McDermott took over last season, and former Texas quarterback Garrett Gilbert has transferred to SMU.

"I felt comfortable with being able to pick up the system and how well the system prepares a QB to get to the next level," Padron said. "There is more responsibility the QB has there than what I'm coming from and the guys they have coming back, especially at WR are very intriguing.

"The coaches and their motivation to compete and be the best was the biggest thing for me though, because they want to win a conference/national championship as bad as I do."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7662796/ex-smu-mustangs-kyle-padron-going-eastern-washington-eagles

Cue the Transfer-U comments. xlolx

Cleets
March 8th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Cue the Transfer-U comments. xlolx

I thought Transfer-U was Delaware..?

Screamin_Eagle174
March 8th, 2012, 08:30 PM

Oh, it is, but I'm sure a couple of UD or UM fans will call out EWU on it, despite the hypocrisy; AZ already EWU the Delawhore of the West on CS. xlolx

cbarrier90
March 8th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Southern Methodist University-Cheney

alvinkayak6
March 8th, 2012, 08:43 PM

xlolx

BlueHenSinfonian
March 8th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Oh, it is, but I'm sure a couple of UD or UM fans will call out EWU on it, despite the hypocrisy; AZ already EWU the Delawhore of the West on CS. xlolx

I never understood how being an appealing school for top notch transfers was a bad thing. FCS schools for the most part don't get the cream of the crop right out of highschool, but it's a victory when we are able to bring someone in after they see streets aren't paved with gold in FBS land like those BCS recruiters might tell them.

Screamin_Eagle174
March 8th, 2012, 09:42 PM

Eagle Express. xthumbsupx

Cleets
March 8th, 2012, 09:42 PM

Meh...
That's just sour grapes, pay no attention to AZGF

Screamin_Eagle174
March 8th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I never understood how being an appealing school for top notch transfers was a bad thing. FCS schools for the most part don't get the cream of the crop right out of highschool, but it's a victory when we are able to bring someone in after they see streets aren't paved with gold in FBS land like those BCS recruiters might tell them.

Oh, I agree completely. It's always good to recruit and land athletes out of HS who then go on to put up stellar numbers, but if you can pull in top notch guys transferring from FBS/BCS that will make the team even better, why not? Certainly won't hear any complaining from me after how BLM did (sorry UD fans :D ) Padron from all accounts should be a step up from BLM.

Measurables:
Padron: 6'4, 233lbs
Bo Levi: 6'0, 210 (Go Eags has him listed at 6'2... not a chance in hell xlolx )

Stats at SMU:
Padron: 446/709 (63%) 41TDs/21INTs, 5902 yds, 7 rushing TDs
Bo Levi: 385/676 (57%) 36TDs/33INTs, 4590yds, 2 rushing TDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtmClNqTxS0

Screamin_Eagle174
March 8th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Meh...
That's just sour grapes, pay no attention to AZGF

I don't. xlolx

hidalgo
March 8th, 2012, 11:31 PM
The kid got screwed at SMU benched his soph season after 4 passes..............best of luck to him.

MTfan4life
March 8th, 2012, 11:49 PM
What do people like Mpls say when kids transfer away from the 'oh so holy land' of FBS to FCS schools, especially those in relatively obscure locations?

DJKyR0
March 8th, 2012, 11:59 PM
What do people like Mpls say when kids transfer away from the 'oh so holy land' of FBS to FCS schools, especially those in relatively obscure locations?

Whatever sound this makes:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfptyjeU2e1qbj46wo1_400.gif

Screamin_Eagle174
March 9th, 2012, 12:38 AM
The kid got screwed at SMU benched his soph season after 4 passes..............best of luck to him.

It was the start of his Junior season (he played as a true Freshman after BLM got hurt), but I agree that he got hosed. Luckily he only played in 3 games before he herniated a disc in his back, so he's eligible for a medical RS.

THE HERD
March 9th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Looks like a good get for you guys........should be a very interesting year in the BSC with all the new teams coming in.

darell1976
March 9th, 2012, 10:31 AM
So when its UND at Eastern Washington it could be named the transfer bowl. UND QB Braden Hanson-North Carolina vs Kyle Padron-SMU of course that is if both QB's are named the starters.

kdinva
March 9th, 2012, 10:55 AM

Looks like EWU is trying to catch up............while Richmond gets their 2nd 1-A transfer QB in the past 3 seasons (Corp, now Strauss).

DFW HOYA
March 11th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Hey, it worled for Bo Levi Mitchell.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 29th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Finally official.

“We’re very excited about it, but most of all we’re excited about our entire team and the players we have coming back,” said Baldwin. “He’s another piece to our team and will add to the overall competitiveness we have at every position.”

Mitchell was injured in the 2009 season at SMU and transferred to EWU after Padron secured the starting job mid-way through his freshman season. The same thing happened in 2011 to Padron, who suffered ankle and back injuries and was replaced in the lineup by J.J. McDermott for the final 11 games of the year.

In his 21 games as a starter at SMU, the 6-foot-4, 225-pound Padron led the Mustangs to a 12-9 record. He was 5-1 as a freshman, as SMU’s late-season surge helped it beat Nevada 45-10 in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl. Padron passed for a school-record 460 yards and two touchdowns to earn Hawaii Bowl MVP honors, then started all 14 games as a record-breaking sophomore (7-7 record).

After receiving his junior year back as an injury hardship, Padron will have two years of eligibility remaining at Eastern.

Padron ended his SMU career with the school’s career record for passing efficiency (142.0 rating) and average total offense per game (259.9). He completed 61.2 percent of his passes (446-of-729) and was intercepted 21 times. His 5,902 career passing yards ranks fourth in school history (Mitchell is seventh with 4,590), and Padron’s 2010 totals for passing yards (3,828), total offense (4,072), touchdowns (31), completions (302) and attempts (508) were all school records as well.

“You don’t plan for any of this and don’t necessarily expect it, but it was a good situation and opportunity for us,” Baldwin added. “We don’t take a whole lot of transfers here – over 90 percent of our players are going to 18-year-old players out of high school who play for us for four or five years. But sometimes transfers are the right fit, and you definitely want to take advantage of that.”
http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2011-12/Releases/12fbMay29Padron

http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/Action_Photos/11fbwaPadron_KyleSMU-2010-2.jpg?max_width=415

dudeitsaid
May 30th, 2012, 12:10 AM
I'm excited to see what he can bring. What's sweet as well is that we get him for two years. The NCAA gave him his junior year of eligability back due to injury hardship. This year, with the standout recievers on the team, it could be a great year. I just remain nervous about the running game. But BLM showed that a weak running game can be overcome by great passing and solid recievers.