PDA

View Full Version : Pull Up A Chair: Jamal Jackson

Apphole
March 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM
"We have the best fans in the nation. Every time I come out for warm-ups two or three hours before the game, we have students and fans already in the stands. They are definitely our twelfth man on the field. I wouldn’t trade them for anybody else in the nation.”

http://southernpigskin.com/SoCon/view/pull-up-a-chair-jamal-jackson

PaladinFan
March 7th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Meh. App's got a good atmosphere, particularly by FCS standards, but they are far from die hards (no offense, Jamal). Many of us remember the pre-2005 App State teams where the fan support was mediocre at best.

Apphole
March 7th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Meh. App's got a good atmosphere, particularly by FCS standards, but they are far from die hards (no offense, Jamal). Many of us remember the pre-2005 App State teams where the fan support was mediocre at best.

Gotta start somewhere. 4 years with no NC and we still lead the nation.

asumike83
March 7th, 2012, 05:48 PM

It depends on your definition of mediocre but App was in the top 15 nationally in attendance for 3-4 years before the first title.

Grizalltheway
March 7th, 2012, 06:22 PM
"We have the best fans in the nation. Every time I come out for warm-ups two or three hours before the game, we have students and fans already in the stands. They are definitely our twelfth man on the field. I wouldn’t trade them for anybody else in the nation.”

http://southernpigskin.com/SoCon/view/pull-up-a-chair-jamal-jackson

What a terrible waste of tail-gaiting time. xsmhx

Professor Chaos
March 7th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Gotta start somewhere. 4 years with no NC and we still lead the nation.
....until the playoffs start.

Apphole
March 7th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Do we really have to discuss the national phenomenon of low playoff attendance again?

Professor Chaos
March 7th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Do we really have to discuss the national phenomenon of low playoff attendance again?
Wasn't much of a problem in Missoula or Fargo.

asumike83
March 7th, 2012, 08:09 PM

Both are much larger than Boone and have a lot of local fans. All our fans drive from 2-3 hours away to come up the mountain, which is tough to do on short notice.

It is a lot easier to fill a stadium on a week or two's notice when you have local support in a 208,000 metro area (Fargo) or a 110,000 metro area (Missoula) than it is in a town of 17,000 that has no metro area. Boone is a secluded college town and to get there for a game is typically an overnight event. If we had 200,000 locals, it'd be a different story. I've given up on even being upset about it when I go up for playoff games now, it's just the way it is.

Apphole
March 7th, 2012, 08:21 PM

I don't believe ONE playoff season is a comparable sample. Check ASU's in 2007.

cbarrier90
March 7th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Both are much larger than Boone and have a lot of local fans. All our fans drive from 2-3 hours away to come up the mountain, which is tough to do on short notice.

How dare you bring a logical argument in here!

Lots of sour grapes in this thread...xthumbsupx

Mr. C
March 7th, 2012, 09:20 PM

You have to remember that the biggest change in football atmosphere was the removal of Roachel Laney and the departure of Mark Driebelbis from the ASU athletic administration. That had as big of an impact as anything else.

Mr. C
March 7th, 2012, 09:21 PM

ASU fans are notorious for bringing those little bottles into the stadium. They do their tailgating wherever they happen to be.

GlassOnion
March 7th, 2012, 09:52 PM

Really, we're closing in on a decade of top notch gamedays, the whole town of Boone is a tailgate lot, how much longer are we going to hear about 8, 9, or 10 years ago, in which our attendance STILL was great by FCS standards?

Grizalltheway
March 7th, 2012, 11:34 PM
ASU fans are notorious for bringing those little bottles into the stadium. They do their tailgating wherever they happen to be.

Can't bring a grill into the stadium. xcoffeex

PaladinFan
March 8th, 2012, 06:43 AM
You have to remember that the biggest change in football atmosphere was the removal of Roachel Laney and the departure of Mark Driebelbis from the ASU athletic administration. That had as big of an impact as anything else.

Very likely.

My statement is not a slight against App, but when you spread the fanbases out on the table, there are others in the FCS (and certainly those in the FBS) that have been drawing the "packed to the gills" type crowds for longer than the past six years. Pre-2005 App had good attendance, but the traveling fanbase was generally quite small and the home attendance really wasn't significantly more than other SoCon schools.

We are splitting gnat hairs, though. Jackson likes his fans, and I don't critique that. I just think that App, as a body, tends to limit its universe to what happened between 2005 and 2011.

Mountaineer#96
March 8th, 2012, 06:52 AM
If you could invite any three people from any period of history over to your house for dinner, who would they be?

“Martin Luther King Jr. would have to be one. Barack Obama would also be one, and George Washington.”

Interesting mix here.........historically speaking I don't think George Washington would show if he saw the other two on the guest list.

citdog
March 8th, 2012, 06:58 AM
If you could invite any three people from any period of history over to your house for dinner, who would they be?

“Martin Luther King Jr. would have to be one. Barack Obama would also be one, and George Washington.”

Interesting mix here.........historically speaking I don't think George Washington would show if he saw the other two on the guest list.

they're both 'house workers' so it would be ok

Apphole
March 8th, 2012, 07:24 AM

Forget the other two, I doubt he show up for Jackson (also black)

Apphole
March 8th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Can't bring a grill into the stadium. xcoffeex

JJ was referring to the students. Students have to pile into the sardine-can student section hours before the game unless they want to end up on the endzone or "State!" side where the atmosphere isn't as intense. The older folks with designated seats can grill/tailgate until just prior to kickoff.

Mountaineer#96
March 8th, 2012, 07:30 AM
they're both 'house workers' so it would be ok

HAHA how come I knew you would jump in here ;)

Funny fact in Hopkinsville, KY ... Martin Luther King Jr. Way T-Bones right into Jefferson Davis HWY. If people actually studied history I'm sure the local NAACP would get all bent out of shape over it.

Apphole
March 8th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Very likely.

My statement is not a slight against App, but when you spread the fanbases out on the table, there are others in the FCS (and certainly those in the FBS) that have been drawing the "packed to the gills" type crowds for longer than the past six years. Pre-2005 App had good attendance, but the traveling fanbase was generally quite small and the home attendance really wasn't significantly more than other SoCon schools.

We are splitting gnat hairs, though. Jackson likes his fans, and I don't critique that. I just think that App, as a body, tends to limit its universe to what happened between 2005 and 2011.

Point taken, but I prefer to look at it as a 2005 on sort of thing. We developed so many die hards from then to now, I doubt we will fall significantly even with a really bad season. After last year, this coming season should be another indication. I expect 32k+ for Montana.

asumike83
March 8th, 2012, 08:09 AM
JJ was referring to the students. Students have to pile into the sardine-can student section hours before the game unless they want to end up on the endzone or "State!" side where the atmosphere isn't as intense. The older folks with designated seats can grill/tailgate until just prior to kickoff.

Hey... who you calling 'older'? xlolx

Apphole
March 8th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Hey... who you calling 'older'? xlolx

Older than students that is xlolx. Sorry Mike. Lucky for me, I still know students. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to frequently sit outside of that rowdy, mosh pit of a student section. It is truly something one must experience first hand to fully appreciate.

asumike83
March 8th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Older than students that is xlolx. Sorry Mike. Lucky for me, I still know students. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to frequently sit outside of that rowdy, mosh pit of a student section. It is truly something one must experience first hand to fully appreciate.

It will happen sooner than you realize. I was in the same boat my first year or two out when I still had friends in school and stood in the student section every Saturday. It is a great experience but I believe it was year three when I had no more friends in school and realized that I needed to move back to the assigned seats.

I tried to fight the transition at first but now that I've gotten used to it, it is pretty cool. I don't have to worry about fighting for a seat hours before the game starts and I can tailgate until about 10 minutes prior to kick-off and take my seat. Plus, my season tickets are only about 5 rows behind the student section on the West side, so I can still live vicariously through all the rowdy students!

ASUMountaineer
March 8th, 2012, 11:26 AM
It will happen sooner than you realize. I was in the same boat my first year or two out when I still had friends in school and stood in the student section every Saturday. It is a great experience but I believe it was year three when I had no more friends in school and realized that I needed to move back to the assigned seats.

I tried to fight the transition at first but now that I've gotten used to it, it is pretty cool. I don't have to worry about fighting for a seat hours before the game starts and I can tailgate until about 10 minutes prior to kick-off and take my seat. Plus, my season tickets are only about 5 rows behind the student section on the West side, so I can still live vicariously through all the rowdy students!

I may only be 30, but I'm too old to stand down there with those kids anymore. I can still out-drink most of them, which doesn't lend oneself to standing. xlolx

My seats are also on the West Side. I've had the same seats since 2006. I can't imagine sitting anywhere else in the stadium (except maybe the Chancellor's Suite).

ASUMountaineer
March 8th, 2012, 11:27 AM

Yeah, I would agree. But, the students don't have assigned seats, and sitting anywhere outside of the north endzone and west side, sucks for the students.

To Mr. C's point, the students do a great job of bringing airplane bottles in with them (as do many of the alums).

Apphole
March 8th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I would agree. But, the students don't have assigned seats, and sitting anywhere outside of the north endzone and west side, sucks for the students.

To Mr. C's point, the students do a great job of bringing airplane bottles in with them (as do many of the alums).

I once saw a guy in a wheel chair smuggle a pony keg into the stadium.

HighCountry
March 8th, 2012, 12:28 PM

Don't forget about the champagne bottles...

Apphole
March 8th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Don't forget about the champagne bottles...

Yes. I was really pissed off when he popped the one before the game was over. (It was the GaSo game and he popped it before the game was decided.) I'm pretty superstitious when it comes to sports. After we emptied it, he smashed it on the ground too. Bad move #2. The guy is always too drunk to be at games. He stumbles to our group every game (late 3rd early 4th) with that 1,000 yard stare and more alcohol than he ever needs. He usually has 6-10 mini bottles in his pockets and behaves like he just took 20 to the face.

ASUMountaineer
March 8th, 2012, 01:09 PM

Good on him.

asumike83
March 8th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I may only be 30, but I'm too old to stand down there with those kids anymore. I can still out-drink most of them, which doesn't lend oneself to standing. xlolx

My seats are also on the West Side. I've had the same seats since 2006. I can't imagine sitting anywhere else in the stadium (except maybe the Chancellor's Suite).

Agreed, I'll be turning 29 this season and I'm too old to hang in the student section also. I used to love standing the entire game but now I relish the opportunity to sit down after I've been on my feet grilling, drinking and tossing the pigskin around the parking lot for 3+ hours.

Where are you on the West side? My season tickets are in Section 202.

ASUMountaineer
March 8th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Agreed, I'll be turning 29 this season and I'm too old to hang in the student section also. I used to love standing the entire game but now I relish the opportunity to sit down after I've been on my feet grilling, drinking and tossing the pigskin around the parking lot for 3+ hours.

Where are you on the West side? My season tickets are in Section 202.

alvinkayak6
March 8th, 2012, 08:43 PM

With 6,301 posts, are you still gonna write here if ASU moves up to the FBS?