PDA

View Full Version : Temple in BE 2012

RichH2
March 7th, 2012, 12:42 PM
According to USATODAY temple in for football 2012 and all sports 2013. The dominoes continue to fall.xeekx

ASUMountaineer
March 7th, 2012, 12:46 PM
According to USATODAY temple in for football 2012 and all sports 2013. The dominoes continue to fall.xeekx

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7656299/temple-football-play-big-east-2012-season-source-says

WH49er
March 7th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I can't see Charlotte sticking around in the A-10 for much longer. Interesting to see how this will pan out for us, possibly CAA for all sports or an invite to the cluster known as the Alliance.

MplsBison
March 7th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I wonder if Villanova would consider moving to the MAC and A-10, essentially swapping places with Temple?

WH49er
March 7th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I wonder if Villanova would consider moving to the MAC and A-10, essentially swapping places with Temple?

Haha no.

Uncle Rico's Clan
March 7th, 2012, 01:05 PM
What does this mean for UMass? Weren't the two schools connected in some way for UMass to move up?

MplsBison
March 7th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I can't see Charlotte sticking around in the A-10 for much longer. Interesting to see how this will pan out for us, possibly CAA for all sports or an invite to the cluster known as the Alliance.

A-10 bball is still better than CAA...isn't it?

MplsBison
March 7th, 2012, 01:07 PM
What does this mean for UMass? Weren't the two schools connected in some way for UMass to move up?

UMass essentially replaces Temple in the MAC East football. The league stays unbalanced at 6-7 west-east.

Perhaps they'll look to the MVFC for a move up...Youngstown in the west would make sense.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 7th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I see three options for Villanova:

1) Try to get into the ACC and power-up football to a level where they'd be accepted;
2) Join the CAA in all sports and try to help in the push to lift the rest of the conference to become a non-BCS FBS conference;
3) Stay in the CAA in football only and the Big East in everything else, and watch Temple eclipse Villanova in the Philadelphia TV market.

Not an easy choice.

HailSzczur
March 7th, 2012, 01:08 PM

NEVER

We have married ourselves to the sinking shipping that seems to be the Big East. Out main concern is basketball, we will do what ever it takes to preserve the sport.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 7th, 2012, 01:08 PM

This is not good news for UMass. Essentially, the MAC can dump them after 2 years if Temple leaves the MAC.

ngineer
March 7th, 2012, 01:09 PM
MAC a big step down for VU basketball. A-10 also a step down,..in their eyes, though games with St. Joe's and LaSalle would have more 'on the line'.

HailSzczur
March 7th, 2012, 01:11 PM

1) Try to get into the ACC and power-up football to a level where they'd be accepted;
2) Join the CAA in all sports and try to help in the push to lift the rest of the conference to become a non-BCS FBS conference;
3) Stay in the CAA in football only and the Big East in everything else, and watch Temple eclipse Villanova in the Philadelphia TV market.

Not an easy choice.

1.) I think there is still a 1a that includes groveling, begging, and pleading with the ACC to take us as a non football member and stay CAA
2.) Won't happen. We won't do that to our basketball program or our other sports, especially track and field
3.) Most likely to happen. But I don't know how much more they will eclipse us. This is not good for us, but I do not think the sky is falling.....yet

MplsBison
March 7th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Haha no.

What if Georgetown leaves for the ACC? Pitt, Cuse and G-town gone...who's 'Nova's main counterpart in BE basketball then?

MAC is the land of opportunity to upgrade their football, ala Temple and now UMAss.

MplsBison
March 7th, 2012, 01:12 PM

Not an easy choice.

They could try to join the ACC as non-football members. Football in CAA or Patriot. Same with G-town.

MplsBison
March 7th, 2012, 01:13 PM
This is not good news for UMass. Essentially, the MAC can dump them after 2 years if Temple leaves the MAC.

This is your opinion or actually in the agreement?

HailSzczur
March 7th, 2012, 01:16 PM
What if Georgetown leaves for the ACC? Pitt, Cuse and G-town gone...who's 'Nova's main counterpart in BE basketball then?

MAC is the land of opportunity to upgrade their football, ala Temple and now UMAss.

I've always said that Nova and G'town will move together. We are essentially in the same situation (that is if you have the opinion like I do that we will not be playing FBS football in the future). ACC as a non-football member is our best bet, but unlikely.

And football is not our priority here, therefore no MAC. The upgrade of football has other motives, like securing a position for the bball team.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 7th, 2012, 01:20 PM
This is your opinion or actually in the agreement?

It's in the agreement.

RichH2
March 7th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Who else can MAC pilfer from CAA or MVFC? Temple never left Philly even when going into MAC. Is there a major difference moving back to BE? As far as I know TU's street address is still the same. It will bolster BE Bball and perhaps football also. Given the state of BE football doubt that will impact on Nova much, if at all

WH49er
March 7th, 2012, 01:28 PM

Not if Xavier, Dayton, and St. Louis leave which I believe will happen.

WH49er
March 7th, 2012, 01:30 PM
http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2012/3/5/2846545/monday-afternoon-rumor-mill-where-i-guarantee-that-you-didnt-see-this

Another interesting tidbit about more shake ups.

HailSzczur
March 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM

And where do you think they're going?

MplsBison
March 7th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I've always said that Nova and G'town will move together. We are essentially in the same situation (that is if you have the opinion like I do that we will not be playing FBS football in the future). ACC as a non-football member is our best bet, but unlikely.

And football is not our priority here, therefore no MAC. The upgrade of football has other motives, like securing a position for the bball team.

OK, fair enough. I do like Nova and G-Town to the ACC. But depends on: A) if they could somehow get Notre Dame to join or B) if they want to go after UConn or Rutgers.

MplsBison
March 7th, 2012, 01:35 PM
It's in the agreement.

Fair enough, did not know that.

So what does UMass do if they get kicked out of the MAC?

MplsBison
March 7th, 2012, 01:36 PM

To...where? MVC? Horizon?

HailSzczur
March 7th, 2012, 01:37 PM
OK, fair enough. I do like Nova and G-Town to the ACC. But depends on: A) if they could somehow get Notre Dame to join or B) if they want to go after UConn or Rutgers.

Exactly. I mean a 16 team football conference is pretty ungainly, thats my only hope.....

WH49er
March 7th, 2012, 01:37 PM
And where do you think they're going?

Xavier and Dayton would be the Big East, the dominoes just have to fall first. I highly doubt the ACC and B12 are done poaching. St. Louis would probably be the MVC.

Seems as the race is to 16 per conference.

HailSzczur
March 7th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Xavier and Dayton would be the Big East, the dominoes just have to fall first. I highly doubt the ACC and B12 are done poaching. St. Louis would probably be the MVC.

That's pretty far down the doomsday timeline. That only happens when the BE ceases to be a football conference and quiet possibly becomes a CYO league

RichH2
March 7th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Given the landscape now, it seems clear that more dominoes must fall and I would think the pace will accelerate over the Spring and early summer.

MplsBison
March 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Given the landscape now, it seems clear that more dominoes must fall and I would think the pace will accelerate over the Spring and early summer.

The prime domino was the Big Ten TV network. The money the B1G schools starting pulling from that really had to open some eyes up.

MplsBison
March 7th, 2012, 01:59 PM

Your own link seems to have 4 more football schools going to the B1G and 2 more going to the SEC. Those are the prime movers.

bluehenbillk
March 7th, 2012, 02:17 PM
5:30pm press conference today at MSG to announce Temple's inclusion to the Big East. Reports are MAC fee was $6M, Big East picking all of it up.

Bogus Megapardus
March 7th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Nova and Temple squaring off for the hearts and minds of Philadelphians. My heart say Nova but my mind says Temple.

bluehenbillk
March 7th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Any Philadelphian will tell you Villanova's not a Philadelphia school. The move is definitely a plus for TU & a minus for Nova. NYPD all over VU's hotel after Jay Wright was told the news & started throwing chairs in the lobby.....

GannonFan
March 7th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Philly fans will watch either team, although BHBK is right, Temple is the real city school in that equation. Regardless, though, Philly fans will watch either basketball team in large numbers and the biggest draw will be whichever team is having a better season. None of this is good for nova basketball - losing rivlaries with Pitt and 'Cuse and most likely eventually UConn is not a good thing, and clearly the Big East is taking a big downgrade as a basketball conference considering all the moves in total (picking up Temple is a plus obviously). Whereas nova had turned into a destination job, especially with what Wright has done, it's becoming more and more likely that nova basketball takes a step back and could become a stepping stone job. It didn't help that all of this is happening at the same time that nova has had one of their worst years under Wright on the hardcourt, and that next year, while likely a little better, won't be great either. If you don't win in Philly, no one will watch.

As for football, I don't think Temple in the Big East is a big deal. Philly is still going to be Penn State country, and even then, it's not a big time college football town. If Temple could bring in Notre Dame, which in theory could be easier now as they would be part-time conference mates with them, then that would be a plus. And Temple at least has the advantage of a legit FBS stadium in the Linc, something that had always been the fatal downfall (i.e. no suitable stadium) for nova's FBS chances. I still think you see the potential here, especially if big revenues from a dimished Big East don't develop, that nova could just drop football altogether. It's always been a major money drain, it will never be a big draw at the FCS level, and it appears as if moving to FBS won't happen, and even if it did, the Big East won't be a major conference any longer once the BCS breaks up and moves away from auto-bids. If no one's watching, if they're losing large amounts of money, and if the carrot isn't there to move up to save basketball, what would be the point of continuing football at nova? That end game is looking more and more likely as time goes on, especially now that the Patriot has gone scholly and nova doesn't even have that to fall back on to contain costs.

darell1976
March 7th, 2012, 03:54 PM
A poster on Siouxsports.com said that the MAC teams who scheduled Temple will be out a conference game so that opens up a scheduling opportunity for teams with 10 teams or in UND's case a NAIA game to get rid of. Ball State has now an open date Sept 1st...UND should dump SD School of Mines and schedule Ball State. At least its a DI counter and if UND can win they could have a better chance at the playoffs. NDSU may want to consider the MAC route since they are running out of FCS teams to schedule.

GannonFan
March 7th, 2012, 04:00 PM
A poster on Siouxsports.com said that the MAC teams who scheduled Temple will be out a conference game so that opens up a scheduling opportunity for teams with 10 teams or in UND's case a NAIA game to get rid of. Ball State has now an open date Sept 1st...UND should dump SD School of Mines and schedule Ball State. At least its a DI counter and if UND can win they could have a better chance at the playoffs. NDSU may want to consider the MAC route since they are running out of FCS teams to schedule.

The release from the MAC said that they are going to put out a revised conference schedule in a few days - I seriously doubt they are going to have a season where not every MAC team plays the same amount of conference games.

darell1976
March 7th, 2012, 04:02 PM
The release from the MAC said that they are going to put out a revised conference schedule in a few days - I seriously doubt they are going to have a season where not every MAC team plays the same amount of conference games.

Well that sucks...damn MAC.xmadx

Lehigh Football Nation
March 7th, 2012, 04:06 PM

No idea what you're smoking. Temple still plays Villanova on September 1st, Ball State still has 4 OOC dates filled (they didn't have Temple on their schedule) and their 8 conference games filled.

Now, true, there may be some emergency MAC dates to fill for FCS teams with Temple's gap in the schedule for 2012. But Ball State ain't one of them.

darell1976
March 7th, 2012, 04:17 PM
No idea what you're smoking. Temple still plays Villanova on September 1st, Ball State still has 4 OOC dates filled (they didn't have Temple on their schedule) and their 8 conference games filled.

Now, true, there may be some emergency MAC dates to fill for FCS teams with Temple's gap in the schedule for 2012. But Ball State ain't one of them.

My bad I took the word of another person who said if Ball State had Temple on the schedule, and with the MAC taking down their whole schedule on this site:http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/mid-amer/2012-ball-state-cardinals-football-schedule.php I couldn't be positive but found their schedule elsewhere on the net.

Eastern Michigan is open on the first, but if they choose UND they would have two FCS teams (Illinois State). Just wishful thinking.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 7th, 2012, 04:43 PM
This is great news!!

I believe we will fit in great for college hoops. The bigger names and increased tv games will boost interest considerably.

It will help football but my expectations are realistic. If we can average 30-35k we'll be doing well imo. The ability to schedule marquee OOC games at the Linc greatly helps. Notre Dame is on the schedule for 2014 irrc.

Seawolf97
March 7th, 2012, 08:36 PM

The MAC schedule could be full of holes now. Would they fill them at this late date with FCS teams ?

Mr. C
March 7th, 2012, 08:38 PM

Of all of the dumb ideas you've come up with, this has to be close to the worst. No chance that happens. Over Andy Talley's dead body.

Mr. C
March 7th, 2012, 08:39 PM

How about it if you beg the SoCon to take you?

Mr. C
March 7th, 2012, 08:40 PM

When was the last time that the A-10 had a team in the Final Four? VCU and George Mason have both made it out of the CAA in recent years.

Mr. C
March 7th, 2012, 08:44 PM

Not an easy choice.

The ACC turned down Villanova last year from what my sources told me. The ACC wanted a football program that was ready to roll, not one that would take three or four years to build. Villanova would actually do well in ACC and the Philly market would be good for the ACC, but it isn't happening.

As far as being eclipsed by Temple, Philly sports fans seem to be allergic to college football for some reason, even though some of the best football in the city's history has been played here in recent years. Villanova won the CAA and a national championship, Penn won the Ivy League and Temple shared first in its MAC division and went to a bowl game in 2009.

As has been stated numerous times, the CAA can't move to FBS without MAJOR by-laws changes for the NCAA. That is DOA.

Mr. C
March 7th, 2012, 08:47 PM

How dumb.

darell1976
March 7th, 2012, 09:04 PM
The MAC schedule could be full of holes now. Would they fill them at this late date with FCS teams ?

If the price is right.

49RFootballNow
March 7th, 2012, 09:44 PM
How about it if you beg the SoCon to take you?

Cute

MR. CHICKEN
March 7th, 2012, 09:45 PM
My bad I took the word of another person who said if Ball State had Temple on the schedule, and with the MAC taking down their whole schedule on this site:http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/mid-amer/2012-ball-state-cardinals-football-schedule.php I couldn't be positive but found their schedule elsewhere on the net.

Eastern Michigan is open on the first, but if they choose UND they would have two FCS teams (Illinois State). Just wishful thinking.

16439.....FLORIDA STATE HAS TWO FCS's..ON DUH SKED FO' 2012.....(MURRAY STATE/SAVANNAH STATE)...TALKIN' 'BOUT UH STRENGTH O' SKED-YULE KILLERAH.....TA BE COMBINED WHIFF SOME O' DUH SKUNKIEST SQWADS FROM DUH ACC....(DUKE/MARYLAND....OWN-LAH RATS LEFT ON DUH USS TERP!)...&...NOT LIKE....EASTERN MICHIGAN...WILL BE TAKIN' ON L.S.U.....FO'...#1...IN DUH LAND....SO DARELL....KEEP UP DUH WISHFULNESS......xrotatehx....BRAWK!

MplsBison
March 7th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Of all of the dumb ideas you've come up with, this has to be close to the worst. No chance that happens. Over Andy Talley's dead body.

You're dumb and no one likes you

MplsBison
March 7th, 2012, 10:23 PM
How dumb.

Nope you're dumb. And a bad writer.

Brad82
March 8th, 2012, 06:28 AM
This shows you can down-shift in FB (Temple) and come back stronger.

HailSzczur
March 8th, 2012, 01:39 PM
What kills me the most about this is that when we play Temple in football this year they will be the BE team and we won't. It feels so wrong to say Temple is in the BE and we're not

GannonFan
March 8th, 2012, 01:52 PM
What kills me the most about this is that when we play Temple in football this year they will be the BE team and we won't. It feels so wrong to say Temple is in the BE and we're not

Well, you did have more than a decade to get used to it when it happened the first time. The bigger change will be having to play them twice a year in basketball -and sharing a train ride up to MSG for the tourney in March.