PDA

View Full Version : Miami QB coming to Coastal?

bodoyle
June 8th, 2006, 12:37 PM
This is pieced together from our board coastalfans.com

Trey Burklin

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/mifl/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/283332.jpeg

Hometown: Charlotte, N.C.
High School: Charlotte Christian HS
Height / Weight: 6-2 / 209
Position: Quarterback

posted by Coastal89 on coastalfans.com
BTW, he was a walk-on at UM. He played in 1 game last year, 54-3 win over Duke, and threw 1 pass for 1 yard.

posted by CoastalAlum on coastalfans.com

i found this on a messageboard...

Posted by: IndianapolisCane | March 21, 2006 at 11:14

CanesFanToo, 3rd string QB going into the spring will be either a JR Claussen or RF Fernandez - both are walk-ons, as I understand Trey Burklin (also a walk-on) transferred.

UMQB ready to step in - if neededThird-string quarterback Trey Burklin, a walk-on, has improved to the extent that he feels confident he can play for Miami.
BY SUSAN MILLER [email protected]

Miami Hurricanes fans don't know Trey Burklin. And frankly, they don't want to know him. But if they ever need him, Burklin -- Miami's walk-on, third-string quarterback -- said he'll be ready.
''I know I'll be ready,'' Burklin said Wednesday morning after another grueling two-hour practice in broiling conditions. ``I'd be excited [to play] -- a dream come true.''
Burklin, a red-haired redshirt freshman who starred at his private high school in Charlotte, N.C., had some offers to play small-college ball at places such as Lenoir-Rhyne in Hickory, N.C., and Coastal Carolina in Conway, S.C. But he chose instead to pay his way to study in Coral Gables.
''I've always dreamed about playing in a big school and I didn't feel like I was giving myself enough opportunity to let that dream come true,'' said Burklin, a 6-2, 209-pound drop-back passer who completed 135 of 279 passes (48.4 percent) for 2,238 yards, 24 touchdowns and eight interceptions his senior year at Charlotte Christian. ``I work hard at it. So I just felt like taking a chance.
``It has worked out so far.''
BIGGER ROLE
Burklin served as UM's scout-team quarterback last season. He stayed in Coral Gables this summer to work with his teammates. Since practice began Saturday, he has been taking at least 12 snaps a day in various 7-on-7 and team drills. He also does individual drills and worked on some red-zone plays Wednesday.
''He takes quite a few snaps, but now he'll get fewer and fewer as we get closer to game time,'' UM coach Larry Coker said. ``There's a reason he's getting snaps. It's not just because I'm a great guy. You better have a third quarterback and he certainly has to be ready.''
When nationally touted recruit Derek Shaw announced last winter that he would attend Arizona State instead of UM (where he had originally committed), coaches went scrambling but came up empty-handed. Burklin suddenly was thrust into a more prominent role.
''Hopefully nothing happens to [backup] Kirby [Freeman] or me,'' starter Kyle Wright said, ``but obviously we have to have somebody ready to play. It's crucial. I think he has made really good strides.''
Burklin, the son of an accountant and a preschool admissions and development worker, said: ``Kyle and Kirby are awesome. If it wasn't for them and [offensive coordinator Dan] Werner, I'd be lost out there.
``You certainly have to make the most of your opportunities, and that's what I'm trying to

yosefcity
June 8th, 2006, 12:47 PM
That could be huge. This kid = stud.

OL FU
June 8th, 2006, 01:50 PM

Seriously, is he really?
How do you know?

MarkCCU
June 8th, 2006, 05:48 PM
hm..interesting

bodoyle
June 8th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Uhmmmmm a friend of mine says it's all over but the shouting. He is just waiting for his acceptance letter from CCU. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :nod:

rokamortis
June 8th, 2006, 06:37 PM
If he is at Coastal - it will be interesting to see how he does. He may be coming from Miami but he was a walk-on. His reported offers were Coastal and Lenoir-Rhine, so he doesn't appear to have been highly recruited. So it isn't like a Martin or Ochs.

But he was in Miami's system so he surely picked up a few things.

If he is indeed at Coastal I'm not going to get too excited, but I'll hope for the best.

Coastal89
June 8th, 2006, 06:44 PM
It won't matter who's back there if we don't get some beef on the OL to block for him. Rok you got any eligability left?

rokamortis
June 8th, 2006, 07:02 PM
It won't matter who's back there if we don't get some beef on the OL to block for him. Rok you got any eligability left?

Hah. I got plenty - but I doubt they want someone that is short, with a lot of girth but no talent.

the one thing I'm not too worried about is our OL - they have plenty of size.

bodoyle
June 8th, 2006, 08:19 PM
I have eligibility left but I think I am too small for OL (6'3" 220).

SoCon48
June 9th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Looks like he didn't get much sun in Miami. Alsao must have had a bad barber.

ButlerGSU
June 9th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Kid must like being close to the sand xlolx

OL FU
June 9th, 2006, 07:08 AM
If he is at Coastal - it will be interesting to see how he does. He may be coming from Miami but he was a walk-on. His reported offers were Coastal and Lenoir-Rhine, so he doesn't appear to have been highly recruited. So it isn't like a Martin or Ochs.

But he was in Miami's system so he surely picked up a few things.

If he is indeed at Coastal I'm not going to get too excited, but I'll hope for the best.

I would get excited. I was just wondering about the stud comment. I wasn't saying he wasn't just did not know why yosef thought so.

bodoyle
June 9th, 2006, 07:31 AM
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/14777272.htm

Dave Bennett knows of at least two new quarterbacks heading to Conway to play for his Coastal Carolina football team. But neither player, he said, will receive any scholarship money upon arrival.

Trey Burklin, a walk-on at the University of Miami (Fla.) after playing prep football at Charlotte (N.C.) Christian Academy, is still waiting on his acceptance to CCU, Bennett said. Burklin was the Hurricanes' third-string quarterback last season behind Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman.

Burklin, who will be a sophomore at CCU if his application is accepted, was an all-state selection at Charlotte Christian his senior year after throwing for 2,200 yards and 24 touchdowns.

Additionally, Bennett said Summerville High quarterback Justin Kramer will be walking on to the team.

bosshogg
June 9th, 2006, 07:35 AM
with this being the case, on of your QB's may transfer soon. I had already heard that davon sloss may leave or left, but I don't know. Either way, its always good to have a stable of stong QB's.....good luck to you guys

bodoyle
June 9th, 2006, 07:59 AM
with this being the case, on of your QB's may transfer soon. I had already heard that davon sloss may leave or left, but I don't know. Either way, its always good to have a stable of stong QB's.....good luck to you guys

That would be correct Boss, Devon Green transferred to..... your team!

bosshogg
June 9th, 2006, 08:13 AM
That would be correct Boss, Devon Green transferred to..... your team!

are you serious? I had not hear this, and I hear most things SCSU related!!!

Jaques
June 9th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Also must have had a bad barber.

Obviously the real reason for tranfering.

bosshogg
June 9th, 2006, 08:49 AM
are you serious? I had not hear this, and I hear most things SCSU related!!!

if this is true, then it would be good for him...the QB position is getting very crowded at Coastal...we'll see

bodoyle
June 9th, 2006, 08:51 AM
if this is true, then it would be good for him...the QB position is getting very crowded at Coastal...we'll see

I am 99.9% certain of this.

bosshogg
June 9th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I am 99.9% certain of this.
wow....thats good news...thanks for the tip...I just pm'ed you