View Full Version : Bayou Classic Payout Presented to Grambling & Southern

superman7515
March 2nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
I don't have a website to reference as it's a press release, so apologies for not providing a link. Certainly not a bad payday at all for an FCS game...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 2, 2012

$1.3 million in Bayou Classic proceeds presented to Southern and Grambling
New events, enhancements and effective fundraising efforts by NOCCI make impact

NEW ORLEANS - Southern University and A&M College and Grambling State University will split $1.32 million in proceeds from the 2011 State Farm Bayou Classic that will provide support to the campuses' athletic programs and fund scholarships through the SU System Foundation and the GSU Foundation.

New Orleans Convention Company, Inc. (NOCCI), the management firm of the 38th Annual State Farm Bayou Classic, recently presented to Grambling State and Southern the settlement proceeds from the annual football classic held in New Orleans during Thanksgiving weekend.

The distribution includes revenue from gate receipts for the football game and Battle of the Bands and a share of corporate sponsorship earnings. Money from the gate will go to SU and GSU athletic programs and the remaining funds will sustain scholarships.

For its first run with the historic HBCU football classic, NOCCI was committed to increasing the level of excitement among the Bayou Classic fans and raising the level of corporate support and sponsorships to ensure a successful and profitable event for two of Louisiana's premier universities.

The 38th Annual State Farm Bayou Classic brought several new events to New Orleans and thousands of visitors to the city including the "My Bayou Classic" Thanksgiving Day Parade, "My Bayou Classic" Golf Tournament, a "Classic" House Party, and an Inspirational Gospel Brunch.

"As the new management firm and partner for this celebrated football classic, our goal was to capture the tradition and produce a creative and enjoyable experience for everyone and, most importantly, to make the event more cost-effective and beneficial for the schools," said Dottie Belletto, NOCCI president.

Anticipated new events, new venues in the renovated Mercedes-Benz Superdome, and special effects and staging enhancements to the Battle of the Bands and Greek Show, created buzz among participants and fans that help attract new sponsors for 2011.

As a result of effective management and fundraising efforts attached to last year's Classic, some much needed financial support will help Grambling State University and Southern University and A&M College to recruit new students and provide aid to students currently enrolled, at a crucial time.

"These support dollars are the cornerstone of our partnership with the two universities," stated Belletto. "These funds will enable students who attend Southern University and Grambling State University to have a valuable college experience."

The Bayou Classic is the annual extravaganza bringing the fans and alumni of Southern University and Grambling State University to New Orleans each November for a celebration of football, family and the traditions and pageantry surrounding Historically Black Colleges and Universities. With an estimated economic impact of $30 million, the Bayou Classic is an important event for the City of New Orleans.

# # #

MEDIA CONTACT:
Jeffrey D. Ory, ABC, APR
il Stratega Marketing & Communication
(504) 458-5866
[email protected]

ursus arctos horribilis
March 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
That is indeed a pretty nice pot for them. Good job.

FormerPokeCenter
March 5th, 2012, 08:07 AM
That is indeed a pretty nice pot for them. Good job.

Here's the rub: Grambling and Southern also have to split the cost of the airtime they get from NBC to put the game on the tube. Historically, they've not gotten anywhere near 1.3 million in proceeds after expenses....

I will freely admit that might be different now....

Having covered the Bayou Classic a couple of times for a Gannett rag, I can tell you that as far as atmosphere goes, the Bayou Classic is in a league of its own. Nothing else in the FCS is even close....One of my all-time favorite sports reporting moments was getting to talk to Eddie Robinson...and talking to Doug Williams during his first stint as the Grambling coach wasn't bad, either....but..being on the turf and watching the battle of the bands at the 50 yard line was pretty ****ing awesome!

But, my favorite Grambling moment came during my day job, when I had a chance to have an exteded conversation with Collie Nicholson, who was the SID at Grambling for decades with Coach Robinson. Nicholson was a marketing genius and he's the guy who figured out it was possible to market Grambling as a brand name. He's the guy who conceptualized the Bayou Classic, got Eddie Robinson a Wheaties box, and made the deals that took Grambling to play in NYC, London, Japan and parts in between...he was pretty amazing....When I talked to him, he was out of the SID game and was working on select marketing projects. He'd had a significant auto accident (not his fault) and I was investigating the claims he was presenting on behalf of the 18-wheeler company he'd collided with. It was a pretty enlightening conversation and a great glimpse into what went into making Grambling the HBCU icon that it is....

superman7515
March 5th, 2012, 11:02 AM
It is my understanding that they made revenue on the television rights from NBC and did not incur a loss from that. Whether that is a recent development or not, I can't honestly say.

FormerPokeCenter
March 5th, 2012, 11:47 AM
It is my understanding that they made revenue on the television rights from NBC and did not incur a loss from that. Whether that is a recent development or not, I can't honestly say.

Oh, I know they make some money off the deal....but they've traditionally had that $1.3 million dollars watered down, since they have to pay NBC for the airtime for the game....then they split what's left over....

It'll be interesting to see what the Grambling Budget numbers look like when the State Auditor releases his report. At the risk of sounding like Texas Terror, we hear about how much money the Bayou Classic generates each year, but lost in that is what it costs. The state budget never shows this as a huge windfall, but - I freely admit that this year could be an exception....

MplsBison
March 5th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I fully understand Grambling and Southern electing to participate in this bowl game rather than the FCS playoffs.

Far more exposure and they actually make money instead of having the NCAA take it.

BgJag
March 5th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I fully understand Grambling and Southern electing to participate in this bowl game rather than the FCS playoffs.

Far more exposure and they actually make money instead of having the NCAA take it.

this is and has always been a conference game! xpeacexxpeacex

SUjagTILLiDIE
March 5th, 2012, 09:32 PM
This was also the lowest attended(40,000) Bayou Classic ever. Also the TV money wasn't included in this total. Sponsors pay for the broadcast and SU/Grambling sells the commercials.