PDA

View Full Version : Samford's Pat Sullivan Inducted Into ANOTHER Hall of Fame

SU DOG
March 1st, 2012, 03:37 PM
National High School Football Hall of Fame is Pat's 6th.

http://www.samfordsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030112aaa.html

Wildcat80
March 1st, 2012, 05:44 PM
Has he ever had Samford in FCS playoffs?

SU DOG
March 1st, 2012, 08:00 PM
The simple answer is NO. However, Pat had lots of work to do to even get Samford competitive in the SoCon. He led the plans to upgrade facilities and recruiting, and has definitely improved those areas. This year(his 5th in the SoCon) is the best chance for a playoff appearance IMO.

As for previous playoff appearances, Samford went 1AA(FCS) in the late eighties under Terry Bowden. In 1991, Samford made the first of two playoff appearances. First ever playoff game for the Dogs was against New Hampshire. The result of that game
at Cowell Stadium was Samford 29, New Hampshire 13.

SeattleGriz
March 2nd, 2012, 04:44 AM
The simple answer is NO. However, Pat had lots of work to do to even get Samford competitive in the SoCon. He led the plans to upgrade facilities and recruiting, and has definitely improved those areas. This year(his 5th in the SoCon) is the best chance for a playoff appearance IMO.

As for previous playoff appearances, Samford went 1AA(FCS) in the late eighties under Terry Bowden. In 1991, Samford made the first of two playoff appearances. First ever playoff game for the Dogs was against New Hampshire. The result of that game

Oh yes. The Pat 29 State of New Hampshire 13 game.

I know it well.

PaladinFan
March 2nd, 2012, 07:03 AM

Here's the question I have.

I see Sammy as a good, not great, program. I think we can admit, that this is as good as Samford has been in quite some time, and they are still short of the playoffs. My question is, has Samford got themselves between a rock and a hard place hiring an Alabama icon to rejuvinate interest in the program, but who might not be the guy that can take them to the next level? Can you see a scenario where Samford cuts ties with Sullivan?

SU DOG
March 2nd, 2012, 07:33 AM
Paladin Fan, you have asked THE question. Knowing Pat as I do, I think he would give it up if convinced that he can't get us into playoffs. He is an intense competitor, and completely believes that we will get to that next level. Samford would probably never fire Pat. The bad PR from that move would be unbelievable. What he has done in establishing a base for success is quite remarkable. Your question, however, is one that I have heard from some of our own. We shall see.

Wildcat80
March 2nd, 2012, 09:04 AM

I know it well.

Ouch!!

PaladinFan
March 2nd, 2012, 10:37 AM
Paladin Fan, you have asked THE question. Knowing Pat as I do, I think he would give it up if convinced that he can't get us into playoffs. He is an intense competitor, and completely believes that we will get to that next level. Samford would probably never fire Pat. The bad PR from that move would be unbelievable. What he has done in establishing a base for success is quite remarkable. Your question, however, is one that I have heard from some of our own. We shall see.

Perhaps they go the Furman route, just let the contract expire and provide the coach an opportunity to retire. Sometimes you have to have a shakeup, particularly if you want to take the program to the next level.

Hard to cut ties with a figurehead, really. I'm well familiar with Alabama (generations of my family attended Auburn), so I can attest to that being an unpopular move.

dgtw
March 4th, 2012, 10:00 PM

I recall they fired the coach about ten years ago at midseason. What was the deal with that?

MR. CHICKEN
March 5th, 2012, 08:30 AM

16436......PLAY-OFF #2.......TERRY TOOK DUH DAWGS....UP TA NEWARK (NOT NEW-IRK)....1992....WHERE TUBBY INTRO'D...UH WING-T LESSON...56-29......COURSE BOWDEN WAS HEADED FO' AUBURN....IN...'93...MAJOR DUCATS....AN' STEPPED INTA BIG TIME WAR IGGLE....GOO......WENT 11-0...FINISHEED 4TH IN AP POLL......xnodxxrotatehxxnodx....BRAWK!

ncguitarplyr
March 20th, 2012, 11:37 AM

I know it well.

Oh man that is funny.

Seriously though, if I were Samford I would put my money on basketball. They could become a regular in the playoffs in football like Wofford. But in basketball they could be another Davidson which is a bigger deal in my book.

SU DOG
March 20th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Oh man that is funny.

Seriously though, if I were Samford I would put my money on basketball. They could become a regular in the playoffs in football like Wofford. But in basketball they could be another Davidson which is a bigger deal in my book.

Actually, Samford has just bought out the last 2 years of our BB coach's contract. He was reportedly making well over 200k/yr, and the search is on for a replacement. We are located in the middle of Alabama, however, and basketball is NOT king here. I can see basketball improving at Samford, but if that is to be at the expense of football, then this will be one donor that they can say audios to. Hopefully Pat Sullivan will have a playoff team this fall. I know there are lots of snickers at that comment, but we are NOT that far away. If the QB play comes through, it is very possible.

AppAlum2003
March 20th, 2012, 06:34 PM
This is like a Broncos fan bragging about Peyton Manning's 2004 season.