PDA

View Full Version : When and Who should the SoCon add in anticipation of ASU's departure ?

whoanellie
March 1st, 2012, 01:07 PM
Sooner the better:

ASUMountaineer
March 1st, 2012, 02:13 PM
Sooner the better:

I think I'm in agreement, the sooner the departure (and subsequent replacement) the better. :)

asumike83
March 1st, 2012, 02:49 PM
Of those options, I think Coastal is the best. Timing is the tough part, not sure they'll add another school until the ASU departure actually happens. The way this conference realignment is going, it could be next week or it could be 3 years away.

Skjellyfetti
March 1st, 2012, 02:50 PM
Well, Mercer is the only small, private school out of the options provided so I went with that.

Apphole
March 1st, 2012, 03:20 PM
Sooner the better:

xthumbsupx

chattownmocs
March 1st, 2012, 03:22 PM
So basically now App State has track and field and what else to bring to the table. A short lived stint at the top of Women's basketball while Wes Moore takes Chattanooga back to the top after his absence? Do they have an invite to CUSA?

ASUMountaineer
March 1st, 2012, 03:22 PM
Well, Mercer is the only small, private school out of the options provided so I went with that.

Touche

asumike83
March 1st, 2012, 03:26 PM
So basically now App State has track and field and what else to bring to the table. A short lived stint at the top of Women's basketball while Wes Moore takes Chattanooga back to the top after his absence? Do they have an invite to CUSA?

Well, our baseball team opened the season with a 7-game road trip and come home 5-2 with a series win in Baton Rouge and a top 50 RPI ranking. Our women's hoops team just won the conference for the 2nd year, our track team wins every year and our wrestling team just won the conference as well. That, and some sport played with an oblong, leather ball that people like to talk about.

We have no conference invite and I have no idea if/when one will come. For that reason, I'm not sure the SoCon will be looking to add a new member right away.

Apphole
March 1st, 2012, 03:30 PM

Shut up and bring me my subway sandwich

chattownmocs
March 1st, 2012, 03:34 PM
Well, our baseball team opened the season with a 7-game road trip and come home 5-2 with a series win in Baton Rouge and a top 50 RPI ranking. Our women's hoops team just won the conference for the 2nd year, our track team wins every year and our wrestling team just won the conference as well. That, and some sport played with an oblong, leather ball that people like to talk about.

We have no conference invite and I have no idea if/when one will come. For that reason, I'm not sure the SoCon will be looking to add a new member right away.

So basically you are past your prime in football, You are temporarily on top of the conference in Wrestling and Women's basketball, although nationally you aren't much. But you do have track and field. Oh and you played a good series of baseball, is that about right?

HailSzczur
March 1st, 2012, 03:49 PM
So basically you are past your prime in football, You are temporarily on top of the conference in Wrestling and Women's basketball, although nationally you aren't much. But you do have track and field. Oh and you played a good series of baseball, is that about right?

Football makes the money though. It doesn't matter what they do in other sports. C-USA is losing 4 of their better football schools to the BE in 2013 and is looking to fill holes. I'm not sure why you're even talking any other sport except out of pure jealousy.

Apphole
March 1st, 2012, 03:50 PM
So basically you are past your prime in football
How far "past our prime" do we have to be for UTC to finally get a win?

are temporarily on top of the conference in Wrestling and Women's basketball although nationally you aren't much
We are at the top in the country at wrestling and give Darsee more than two years to make us Nationally relevant in WBB. You might just have to wait a few weeks actually

you do have track and field.
Correct

Oh and you played a good series of baseball, is that about right?
Yes, a very good series manhandling a powerhouse in the top 10.

PaladinFan
March 1st, 2012, 04:28 PM
Here we go again.

App isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

StorminASU
March 1st, 2012, 04:34 PM
Here we go again.

Yeah, can we please drop this? A bitter Elon fan's plan has backfired and we're all going to have to pay by reading this crap for the umpteenth time

asumike83
March 1st, 2012, 04:39 PM

The irony of this post is just delicious, nice work!

Having our football program called 'past its prime' by a fan whose team's 'prime' was a 1st-round playoff loss 20 years ago is pretty good. However, belittling a dominating series against a top 10 team on the road by our baseball team when Chatty doesn't even HAVE a baseball program takes the cake. I mean, seriously, what kind of D1 athletics program located an hour and a half from Atlanta can't even field a baseball team? I guess they were just saving all that money for football. Talk about a strong return on your investment!

xlolx

Sir William
March 1st, 2012, 05:23 PM
SC State

Apphole
March 1st, 2012, 05:34 PM
Here we go again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y3QoFnqZc

Mountaineer#96
March 1st, 2012, 07:14 PM
Pretty much what happens everytime Chattown posts here.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wptsxgLRXcI

Mountaineer#96
March 1st, 2012, 07:19 PM
More interesting question should be what will these boards do without us?

asumike83
March 1st, 2012, 07:36 PM
More interesting question should be what will these boards do without us?

I plan to stick around and torture these poor bastards even if we do go FBS. You aren't getting rid of me that easily!

superman7515
March 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM
SC State

+1

citdog
March 1st, 2012, 08:20 PM
SC State

no thanks. don't want to have to wear a bulletproof vest on saturdays

DFW HOYA
March 1st, 2012, 08:50 PM
VMI.

Tribe4SF
March 2nd, 2012, 05:09 AM
Please take georgia State.

Tribe4SF
March 2nd, 2012, 05:12 AM

Someone can still shoot you in the head, but in your case that wouldn't be fatal.

OL FU
March 2nd, 2012, 06:30 AM

Rarely had more fun at an away game than in Orangeburg. Sat on the home side there quite a few times. Much safer that sitting in the middle of Hop city

asumike83
March 2nd, 2012, 08:19 AM
Someone can still shoot you in the head, but in your case that wouldn't be fatal.

That's a risk we were willing to take... xlolx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofQ6i9I1IYY

Gil Dobie
March 2nd, 2012, 08:19 AM
Other - JMU ;)

GaSouthern
March 2nd, 2012, 09:33 AM
If Appy moves on then I want GSU to find a new home.

Edit: If the SoCon adds coastal I might change my tune though

henfan
March 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM

http://www.getgreatcodes.com/graphics/funny/17/funnypic195.gif

citdog
March 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM

I'm ALL schmeckle.

citdog
March 2nd, 2012, 12:50 PM
Rarely had more fun at an away game than in Orangeburg. Sat on the home side there quite a few times. Much safer that sitting in the middle of Hop city

well that's because you're a collabaratin' scalawag son of a bitch.

other than that you're alright

SoCon48
March 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
Sooner the better:

Yeah, so the Phoenix might have a chance at winning a SoCon title. Too, the failed attempt at beating ASU after several decades can end.

SoCon48
March 2nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
Shut up and bring me my subway sandwich

Plus one.

Rekdiver
March 7th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Why are we even responding to a UTC fan? And they have done what? And I am feeling sorry for Elon. They have become the New Furman after that choke job in Burlington last year. We need to move because its no longer fun in the PrivateWeakCon...........

I'd pick up both Kennesaw and Coastal if I could if APP could find a way out.

elcid83
April 2nd, 2012, 07:07 PM
Gardner-Webb would be an excellent addition to the Southern Conference.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

tractorapp
April 2nd, 2012, 08:40 PM
If I were the other SoCon schools, I would want someone who is not going to be looking for other bigger opportunities in the short term, so Liberty, Jacksonville State, Charlotte and I would think CCU would be out.

If the folks at ETSU would get their act together and bring back football they would be a perfect addition. I also think Gardner Webb makes a lot of sense. In the middle of the footprint so would not hurt with travel cost. Private, so I would think many of the SoCon members would feel like they share a simular mission. They also have sports like Wrestling which helps in that department.
Quite frankly, unless something big is going on well behind the scenes I'm starting to think we won't be leaving anytime soon.

OL FU
April 3rd, 2012, 06:18 AM
well that's because you're a collabaratin' scalawag son of a bitch.

other than that you're alright

Thanks, since I know you so well. That is quite a complimentxthumbsupx:)

PaladinFan
April 3rd, 2012, 06:51 AM
Why are we even responding to a UTC fan? And they have done what? And I am feeling sorry for Elon. They have become the New Furman after that choke job in Burlington last year. We need to move because its no longer fun in the PrivateWeakCon...........

I'd pick up both Kennesaw and Coastal if I could if APP could find a way out.

Furman has 12 conference titles and three national championship apperances, in addition to some close losses in Boone. How are we like Elon?

PaladinFan
April 3rd, 2012, 06:53 AM
If I were the other SoCon schools, I would want someone who is not going to be looking for other bigger opportunities in the short term, so Liberty, Jacksonville State, Charlotte and I would think CCU would be out.

If the folks at ETSU would get their act together and bring back football they would be a perfect addition. I also think Gardner Webb makes a lot of sense. In the middle of the footprint so would not hurt with travel cost. Private, so I would think many of the SoCon members would feel like they share a simular mission. They also have sports like Wrestling which helps in that department.
Quite frankly, unless something big is going on well behind the scenes I'm starting to think we won't be leaving anytime soon.

At least one of you is living in the real world. Congrats :)

asumike83
April 3rd, 2012, 09:29 AM

I agree. The only way I think that changes would be if UNCC took an invite to the Sun Belt. If we had a geographic rival, I could see Cobb/Peacock aggressively pursuing an invite.

C-USA is not happening, as most everybody knows at this point and despite all the chatter about it, I still think the new conference idea is merely a pipe dream.

Mntneer
April 3rd, 2012, 09:40 AM
Yeah, can we please drop this? A bitter Elon fan's plan has backfired and we're all going to have to pay by reading this crap for the umpteenth time

+1

You can also count me among those that think we are staying put for a while longer.

GlassOnion
April 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Looks like it at this time.

The Sun Belt has taken some strides forward in recent years, and looked to be in a good position being the alternative to the Alliance. Its surprising that they'd seemingly water down their competativeness like this.

whitey
April 3rd, 2012, 10:25 AM
By adding Georgia State? The Sun Belt is being proactive here. The Alliance is going to gobble up a few of their schools most likely. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sunbelt add a few more from the FCS ranks or convince some of the eastern WAC schools to move.

GlassOnion
April 3rd, 2012, 10:41 AM
By adding Georgia State? The Sun Belt is being proactive here. The Alliance is going to gobble up a few of their schools most likely. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sunbelt add a few more from the FCS ranks or convince some of the eastern WAC schools to move.

Proactive or not, they're on track to add two schools with no fanbases, and just a shadow of a program.

kdinva
April 3rd, 2012, 03:12 PM
Lots of VMI alums/boosters wouldn't mind returning. Most say they'd rather lose (in FB) to Wofford and Furman than CCU or Liberty........