PDA

View Full Version : NDSU turns down Nebraska.....wtf

LakesBison
February 26th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Samuel McKewon ‏ @swmckewonOWH

Twitter

· N. Dakota St. AD confirmed to me NU contacted NDSU about 2012 game, but NDSU declined because it already had Colorado State on the schedule.

I think this totally sucks, NDSU could beat Nebraska, and we would rock that dump lincoln.

major mistake by NDSU.

clenz
February 26th, 2012, 08:41 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/43d470af-ed6b-aef4.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Mezmerize using Tapatalk

frozennorth
February 26th, 2012, 08:45 PM
the rare occasion when i agree with lakes

dgreco
February 26th, 2012, 09:12 PM
NDSU wants to keep its nice record vs. FBS programs intact. Plus, playing Nebraska after winning the title would make to a rough start to their season.

bonarae
February 26th, 2012, 09:24 PM
NDSU wants to keep its nice record vs. FBS programs intact. Plus, playing Nebraska after winning the title would make to a rough start to their season.

Yes. Unfortunately.

344Johnson
February 26th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Playing 3 of the first 4 games on the road would be very tough. Especially considering the competition on the road.

Colorado State- Say what you want about them being a pretty bad FBS program, they still get better recruits, and they still get more recruits, and they are still playing at home. They also will probably have a new sense of optimism considering the coach they landed from Alabama.

Nebraska- While I think NDSU could play a good game with them, that is an intense venue to go into.

Northern Iowa- NDSU is better than them I believe. Doesn't matter what I think though, Northern Iowa is a tough team and playing them on the road already has me nervous.

Having those be 3 of your first 4 games is just screaming trouble. While I want my Bison to play against a solid schedule throughout the season, I want homefield in the playoffs again. And having those be 3 of your first 4 games is just asking for trouble that I want no part of.

DJKyR0
February 26th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Please. Big difference between turning them down with vs. without an FBS team already on the schedule. As much as fans want to talk up NDSU as a surefire win at Nebraska, the reality is that that's a brutal four-game stretch early in the season with @CSU, @UNI and home vs. Youngstown on either side.

FargoBison
February 26th, 2012, 10:33 PM
It would put NDSU in too tough of a spot should we lose to Colorado State, it was the right call to say no.

bojeta
February 26th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Please. Big difference between turning them down with vs. without an FBS team already on the schedule. As much as fans want to talk up NDSU as a surefire win at Nebraska, the reality is that that's a brutal four-game stretch early in the season with @CSU, @UNI and home vs. Youngstown on either side.

You're joking, right? NDSU fans weren't really talking about a "surefire win at Nebraska". NDSU has a great FCS program and they'll likely beat Colorado State, but, Nebraska...... nah..... Now watch... Idaho State will beat them LOL!!!

clenz
February 26th, 2012, 11:04 PM
You're joking, right? NDSU fans weren't really talking about a "surefire win at Nebraska". NDSU has a great FCS program and they'll likely beat Colorado State, but, Nebraska...... nah..... Now watch... Idaho State will beat them LOL!!!

Let me pull some quotes from the ndsu site...brb

clenz
February 26th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Grizzaholic piled therese from bisonville....
From Bisonville (I now have a headache)

If NDSU played Nebraska

A toss up
Nebraska with a slight edge
50-50
NDSU D will be better this year than last
Their QB is horrible
Nebraska sucks and we would beat them
It would be the biggest game ever for both team's fans

This was as far as I could make it.

McNeese75
February 26th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Bison would get thumped good by Nebraska

frozennorth
February 27th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Bison would get thumped good by Nebraska

doubtful. nebraska could barely put fresno state away last year, and fresno state was awful.

Cleets
February 27th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Never forget...
Georgia Southern beat Alabama last year

(at least that is what I heard)

bonarae
February 27th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Never forget...

The Eagles played tough with the Crimson Tide, but they fell short...

Cleets
February 27th, 2012, 02:27 AM
The Eagles played tough with the Crimson Tide, but they fell short...

I was being sarcastic
If you weren't so darn nice I'd harass you right now...
Yes I know they lost but there was a flurry of GSU enthusiasm surrounding that loss and I was being mean (that's all)

MTfan4life
February 27th, 2012, 04:34 AM
doubtful. nebraska could barely put fresno state away last year, and fresno state was awful.

They also dominated Michigan State. It's stupid to pick one bad game and judge a team based off that. That'd be like rating NDSU as weak because they could barely put away Southern Illinois.

kdinva
February 27th, 2012, 05:49 AM
I guess NDSU doesn't need the $650K or whatever it would be.......

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 27th, 2012, 06:46 AM
It would put NDSU in too tough of a spot should we lose to Colorado State, it was the right call to say no.

This right here.....xthumbsupx

What the hell do the Bison have to prove by playing 2 FBS teams this year?

GT will find a FCS team to play for our last game....it might cost between 200-300K but he will find one.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 27th, 2012, 07:08 AM

Actually in the big picture, they didn't need it that bad. Broke teams like UNI have to play FBS teams for money. NDSU is looking to pay someone to come to Fargo. They are a well run organization with plenty of money.

Twentysix
February 27th, 2012, 07:43 AM

We make something close to 2 million on home games. We don't only sell 20,000 tickets in an entire year for something like 10 bucks each.

650k would be nice to add to the coffers, but with a good draw at home we can make around 250-300k while maintaining a better shot at the playoffs. Not to mention that we already have an FBS game and only have 5 home games.

darell1976
February 27th, 2012, 08:17 AM

South Dakota State only lost 17-3 to Nebraska which is pretty good in that environment. I would have loved to see NDSU play NU....saying that as a Cornhusker fan.;)

Sammy94
February 27th, 2012, 08:53 AM
only have 5 home games.

I wish we ONLY had 5 home games. :(

Apphole
February 27th, 2012, 09:00 AM
We make something close to 2 million on home games. We don't only sell 20,000 tickets in an entire year for something like 10 bucks each.

650k would be nice to add to the coffers, but with a good draw at home we can make around 250-300k while maintaining a better shot at the playoffs. Not to mention that we already have an FBS game and only have 5 home games.

How much is admission? 17k seats and you make 2 mil? Good God

LakesBison
February 27th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Im hoping 26 means, the city of Fargo makes $2,million for a home game.

I think NDSU nets about $200,000 for a home game.

HailSzczur
February 27th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Playing 3 of the first 4 games on the road would be very tough. Especially considering the competition on the road.

Colorado State- Say what you want about them being a pretty bad FBS program, they still get better recruits, and they still get more recruits, and they are still playing at home. They also will probably have a new sense of optimism considering the coach they landed from Alabama.

Nebraska- While I think NDSU could play a good game with them, that is an intense venue to go into.

Northern Iowa- NDSU is better than them I believe. Doesn't matter what I think though, Northern Iowa is a tough team and playing them on the road already has me nervous.

Having those be 3 of your first 4 games is just screaming trouble. While I want my Bison to play against a solid schedule throughout the season, I want homefield in the playoffs again. And having those be 3 of your first 4 games is just asking for trouble that I want no part of.

Sounds a lot like another defending champ who started
@Washington
@SD
@MT
vs MSU

Good move on the Bison's part. For all the glory they would get for possibly winning that game, it is nice to see them focused on defending their title. No use putting your players through the beating of a game against a middle of the road BCS team when you don't need the money or the exposure.

Twentysix
February 27th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Im hoping 26 means, the city of Fargo makes $2,million for a home game.

I think NDSU nets about $200,000 for a home game.

For an entire season lakes. Merchandise/concessions/advertising/tickets/parking/etc

I love how he even bolded home game"s" and you choose to overlook it.

Go Bison
February 27th, 2012, 10:00 AM
This right here.....xthumbsupx

What the hell do the Bison have to prove by playing 2 FBS teams this year?

GT will find a FCS team to play for our last game....it might cost between 200-300K but he will find one.

All I can say is NDSU better find a FCS team to play at home. Keep in mind UNI is also looking to bring in a FCS team as well now and the number of FCS teams is getting less and less. If there are no FCS teams to play at home, then we should take the second FBS money game. I would be greatly disappointed if NDSU has to play a DII team. They would be much better off playing a second FBS game.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 27th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Sounds a lot like another defending champ who started
@Washington
@SD
@MT
vs MSU

Good move on the Bison's part. For all the glory they would get for possibly winning that game, it is nice to see them focused on defending their title. No use putting your players through the beating of a game against a middle of the road BCS team when you don't need the money or the exposure.

This. But can't tell anybody on Bisonville that. Whew! They want the Giants next or something.

Twentysix
February 27th, 2012, 10:01 AM

There are around 19,000 seats and admission is $25. 4000 of the seats are student seats which would be reimbursed from the schools to the athletic program. A little shy of 10000 are Season ticket holders, some of those seats accompany a 10,000+ dollar donation. Concessions from 19,000 people brings in revenue, parking brings in revenue per home game, tailgaiting spots bring in revenue per home game, advertising in the dome, etc, brings in revenue per home game, Merch sales would drastically increase per home game.

The revenue difference between 5 and 6 homegames for NDSU is probably around 250k-300k. So say 1.5 Million in a season as opposed to 1.8 Million.

Thats why netting the value of a homegame when playing FBS(after expenses) is very important. It also would diminish potential merch and advertising profits from playoff games as playoffs or home playoffs become less likely the more FBS you schedule, the more games played in fargo, playoffs or regular season, the more t-shirts and hats and stickers NDSU sells throughout the season, etc. The whole world revolves around dollars and cents, even FCS football.

Also home football games increase attendance/revenue at least a little bit for friday volleyball games.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 27th, 2012, 10:12 AM
All I can say is NDSU better find a FCS team to play at home. Keep in mind UNI is also looking to bring in a FCS team as well now and the number of FCS teams is getting less and less. If there are no FCS teams to play at home, then we should take the second FBS money game. I would be greatly disappointed if NDSU has to play a DII team. They would be much better off playing a second FBS game.

There are some FCS games still available but not many. GT is going to have to cough up some $$$ this year to fill this last home game.

JSUBison
February 27th, 2012, 10:42 AM
There are some FCS games still available but not many. GT is going to have to cough up some $$$ this year to fill this last home game.

I agree he's going to pay more than usual, but it's well worth it. Growing the fan base and increasing season tickets is important, and it only makes sense to get that sixth home game. There will be a significant increase in season ticket holders next year, and the best thing to do is to make sure that they remain season ticket holders and team maker donors.

Twentysix
February 27th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I agree he's going to pay more than usual, but it's well worth it. Growing the fan base and increasing season tickets is important, and it only makes sense to get that sixth home game. There will be a significant increase in season ticket holders next year, and the best thing to do is to make sure that they remain season ticket holders and team maker donors.

And buy merch. And get their cousin in dickinson interested, so he also buys merch, which he puts in his yard, which makes his neighbor interested and they also buy merch. xawesomex (, , , , , a few extra comma's for good measure)

Its about growing the fanbase, but mostly its about growing the brand as a whole.

BisonHype!
February 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I would like to see the Bison play Nebraska. I think we would do well. I definitely don't think it would be a huge blowout. I would rather see the Bison make a run at a repeat, which will be difficult enough to achieve.

Cleets
February 27th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Each ticket is something like $120 dollars - it's a deal at that price

TheRevSFA
February 27th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I'm sure Lakes was confused. I'm sure he meant that NDSU turned down UNO in something.

LakesBison
February 27th, 2012, 01:20 PM
nope, sorry, evidence is in 1st post.

NDSU at home vs Alabama State......ick.

I'd like to see NDSU vs FBS team at the Metrodome on Sept 15th, that would rock, on a friday night on espn 2

TheRevSFA
February 27th, 2012, 01:21 PM

I'd like to see NDSU vs FBS team at the Metrodome on Sept 15th, that would rock, on a friday night on espn 2

NDSU vs Alabama State...easy W.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 27th, 2012, 01:24 PM

In a world where we can just wish for things that would be very cool to see however the fact that the FBS team needs the home game to make the gate money to pay the other school is gonna make that a no go.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 27th, 2012, 01:39 PM
In a world where we can just wish for things that would be very cool to see however the fact that the FBS team needs the home game to make the gate money to pay the other school is gonna make that a no go.

You are far too kind. That is quite possibly the clearest example of a lack of fundamental understanding about the world in general.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 27th, 2012, 02:05 PM
You are far too kind. That is quite possibly the clearest example of a lack of fundamental understanding about the world in general.xlolx

I know but at some point you have to try and get him thinking rationally and not just making a "surface" observation of everything.

Lakes doesn't tire from the beatings he takes, his opponents do.

BisonHype!
February 27th, 2012, 02:05 PM
lol. Ursus, I agree... Your way too kind here.

Lakes reminds me alot of Skip Bayless, and in the background I can hear Stephen A. Smith yelling "How do they let him talk about Basketball!!!!" In this scenario, "How do they allow Lakes to talk about football!!!!!"

BisonBacker
February 27th, 2012, 02:12 PM
xlolx

I know but at some point you have to try and get him thinking rationally and not just making a "surface" observation of everything.

Lakes doesn't tire from the beatings he takes, his opponents do.

Anytime I see anything he posts this comes to mind......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNz4oEqSvmc

asumike83
February 27th, 2012, 02:13 PM
You guys are the crazy ones. There are not enough seats in the Metrodome to house such a showdown and it would only be on ESPN2 if they could outbid CBS for the rights!

(I will admit however, that I heard App folks say things almost as crazy after the '07 season)

BisonHype!
February 27th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Winning can cloud the mind at times. All of a sudden you can take on the world until you get beat, and then you come crashing back down to earth.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 27th, 2012, 02:27 PM
You guys are the crazy ones. There are not enough seats in the Metrodome to house such a showdown and it would only be on ESPN2 if they could outbid CBS for the rights!

(I will admit however, that I heard App folks say things almost as crazy after the '07 season)

The last game the Bison played at the Metrodome was against Minnesota in '07 the NDSU crowd was estimated at between 30,000 and 45,000, there are only 63,000 seats in the whole thing. I remember it was the loudest game I'd ever been to.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 27th, 2012, 02:29 PM
For those who haven't seen the schedules thread, GT is now playing Presby for their final game, making it a battle royale to see who can wrap up Tennessee Tech for their final home game, UNI or NDSU.

Didn't SEMO also have a possible opening too with either UNI or NDSU?

NoDak 4 Ever
February 27th, 2012, 02:34 PM
For those who haven't seen the schedules thread, GT is now playing Presby for their final game, making it a battle royale to see who can wrap up Tennessee Tech for their final home game, UNI or NDSU.

NDSU would be able to outbid UNI any day they needed. Coupled with new turf, being the NC and Cedar Falls being the armpit of the universe and I don't see NDSU losing any opponents to UNI.

BisonHype!
February 27th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Go Bison!!!!!!! Schedule War!

ursus arctos horribilis
February 27th, 2012, 02:38 PM

I'm sure the AD's at both NDSU & UNI know that the smart move is to not get in a bidding war but work together to get it done for all four teams...unless there is only one left?

Go_Herd
February 27th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Cedar Falls being the armpit of the universe

"Hey, UNI called about a game, should we go play a game against them? Hell no don't you know that the town is the armpit of the universe. Ok let's wait until NDSU calls, they will probably pay us more anyway and Fargo is a cooler town than that crap-hole"

I mean come on now. If you were to say that Cedar Falls/Waterloo doesn't have a good regional airport, it might actually validate your argument. Add in the win-ability factor into the equation as well.

BisonHype!
February 27th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I'm sure the AD's at both NDSU & UNI know that the smart move is to not get in a bidding war but work together to get it done for all four teams...unless there is only one left?

Screw it, bidding war is more fun. Don't you watch Storage Wars ursus?

ursus arctos horribilis
February 27th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Screw it, bidding war is more fun. Don't you watch Storage Wars ursus?

I watched a marathon and then caught a few more throughout the weeks following and quickly knew it just wasn't for me any longer. It is partially why I figured it might not be in the schools' best interest though.;)

BisonHype!
February 27th, 2012, 02:59 PM
"YIP!"

BisonHype!
February 27th, 2012, 03:01 PM
If there was a bidding war... Years later you could tell your grandchildren of "The Great TTU Bidding War of 2012" or later known as "The bid to end all bids..."

Twentysix
February 27th, 2012, 03:02 PM
NDSU would be able to outbid UNI any day they needed. Coupled with new turf, being the NC and Cedar Falls being the armpit of the universe and I don't see NDSU losing any opponents to UNI.

Don't forget, When you do good at UNI as an offensive or defensive coordinator you get promoted to a position coach at NDSU.

BisonHype!
February 27th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Don't forget, When you do good at UNI as an offensive or defensive coordinator you get promoted to a position coach at NDSU.

That was a quality burn. I didn't do it, just acknowledging a good burn.xpeacex

Professor Chaos
February 27th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I don't think UNI will get much of a fight out of NDSU for Tennessee Tech. TTU is at Oregon on 9/15 and it's pretty much a sure bet that 9/22 if their conference date with SEMO since all the other schools in the OVC are playing conference games that day except Tennessee St who is at Bethune-Cookman and 9/22 is the only date that TTU and SEMO have a mutual opening.

MplsBison
February 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Sac St plays No Colo on Sept 15. SUU and Central Ark need a 5th home game.

The only FCS I see left are SWAC teams. Arkansas-Pine Bluff?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 27th, 2012, 03:34 PM
If there was a bidding war... Years later you could tell your grandchildren of "The Great TTU Bidding War of 2012" or later known as "The bid to end all bids..."

I see NDSU as the Young Gun, and UNI as Darrell, the irascible swap meet guy. No doubt.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 27th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I see NDSU as the Young Gun, and UNI as Darrell, the irascible swap meet guy. No doubt.

The UNI athletic director said before NDSU got there, they could pay 85k for a game, after they showed up it went to 150k.

darell1976
February 27th, 2012, 04:04 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/fcs-schedules/2012-fcs-football-schedules/
Teams with open dates that NDSU could schedule

Hampton Open MEAC
NC A&T Open MEAC
Alabama St Open SWAC
Arkansas P-B Open SWAC
Grambling Open SWAC
Prairie View Open SWAC
Alcorn St Open SWAC
Southern Utah BSC
Central Arkansas Southland

clenz
February 27th, 2012, 04:06 PM
The UNI athletic director said before NDSU got there, they could pay 85k for a game, after they showed up it went to 150k.

That is because there was another fcs team to schedule...it wadnt hyst NDSY they caused the jump...SDSY and now USD all raise prices

BisonHype!
February 27th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Someone has a broken "U" key on their phone....

darell1976
February 27th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Someone has a broken "U" key on their phone....

Or big fingers.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 27th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I think your Samsung is turning U's into Y's.

Gil Dobie
February 27th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I work with a software program that turns "ti" to "7".

JSUBison
February 27th, 2012, 04:34 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/fcs-schedules/2012-fcs-football-schedules/

Hampton Open MEAC
NC A&T Open MEAC
Alabama St Open SWAC
Arkansas P-B Open SWAC
Grambling Open SWAC
Prairie View Open SWAC
Alcorn St Open SWAC
Southern Utah BSC

Keep in mind the SWAC plays 9 conference games and two OOC games.

darell1976
February 27th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Keep in mind the SWAC plays 9 conference games and two OOC games.

Really? Well cross off Alcorn State and Alabama State from that list.

bojeta
February 27th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Sac St plays No Colo on Sept 15. SUU and Central Ark need a 5th home game.

The only FCS I see left are SWAC teams. Arkansas-Pine Bluff?

I missed this when running quite a few searches. Was the agreement just reached? Which team is home? Thanks!

Lehigh Football Nation
February 27th, 2012, 04:57 PM

Hampton Open MEAC
NC A&T Open MEAC
Alabama St Open SWAC
Arkansas P-B Open SWAC
Grambling Open SWAC
Prairie View Open SWAC
Alcorn St Open SWAC
Southern Utah BSC

I also have Savannah State on 9/15. As others have mentioned, SUU and Sacramento State are rumored to be playing a non-conference game on 9/15, and Alcorn State has already filled their OOC schedule.

TTU now has an opening on 9/8, which UNI ought to jump on, IMO.

bojeta
February 27th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I also have Savannah State on 9/15. As others have mentioned, SUU and Sacramento State are rumored to be playing a non-conference game on 9/15, and Alcorn State has already filled their OOC schedule.

TTU now has an opening on 9/8, which UNI ought to jump on, IMO.

Now I've heard that Sac and Northern Colorado are playing on Sept 15th or maybe Sac and SUU. I can't find info on either when running searches. I'm certain that one of the two must be true, but would like to have a confirmation for the schedules I'm creating.

Actually, I know it's not SUU because their schedule is done and Sac is not on it. So, the logical matchup is NC, but both teams need a home game which is no doubt complicating this greatly. Hmmmm.......

frozennorth
February 27th, 2012, 06:32 PM
it's gonna be a one and done UND game at the fargodome methinks

LakesBison
February 27th, 2012, 08:00 PM
frozennorth HELL F___ NO. get a life.

frozennorth
February 27th, 2012, 08:04 PM
get a life.

quoting irony

LakesBison
February 27th, 2012, 08:09 PM
i have quite the life actually buddy, if you've been paying attention.

zero, zilch, nada, no chance on that, too many ahole's up there.

tourguide
February 27th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I don't think UNI will get much of a fight out of NDSU for Tennessee Tech. TTU is at Oregon on 9/15 and it's pretty much a sure bet that 9/22 if their conference date with SEMO since all the other schools in the OVC are playing conference games that day except Tennessee St who is at Bethune-Cookman and 9/22 is the only date that TTU and SEMO have a mutual opening.

This is wrong from everything I have seen. yes they are rumored to play the 22nd, but both have the 8th off

slostang
February 27th, 2012, 08:58 PM
too many ahole's up there.
Says the biggest one on this board.

darell1976
February 27th, 2012, 10:01 PM
it's gonna be a one and done UND game at the fargodome methinks

UND has their 11 games in place.

darell1976
February 27th, 2012, 10:03 PM
quoting irony

Irony would be how UND gets blasted for a non DI team on their schedule and yet it may be a reality to NDSU. xlolx

clenz
February 27th, 2012, 10:11 PM
I think your Samsung is turning U's into Y's.
Yeah, I need to reset my keyboard on my phone and re-calibrate it I think. I use a downloaded keyboard and it's learned to replace things wrongly as I let them slide in text messages. I shouldn't let that happen as it now assumes that is correct all the time.

It replaces to with ti, and a crap ton of other issues....I'll try to be more careful when using my phone.

frozennorth
February 27th, 2012, 10:19 PM
UND has their 11 games in place.

and still trying to get rid of that pesky d2 team as i recall

darell1976
February 27th, 2012, 10:26 PM

Might as well leave it if most teams are done with their schedules. At least our 2013 schedule is all set up and without a FBS team and without a DII/NAIA team, but it does have seven home games. NDSU would drool over that schedule!!

MplsBison
February 27th, 2012, 10:31 PM

Hampton Open MEAC
NC A&T Open MEAC
Alabama St Open SWAC
Arkansas P-B Open SWAC
Grambling Open SWAC
Prairie View Open SWAC
Alcorn St Open SWAC
Southern Utah BSC

UCA and SUU need a 5th home game, no way they come to Fargo.

The SWAC teams - maybe. Keep in mind that they play 9 conf games and probably already have tough non-conf games scheduled - they also need 5 home games if they get a 4 home/5away split in conf.

The MEAC schools are interesting. Why does it show a 3home/5away split for Hampton and a 5home/3away split for NC A&T?!! That's screwed up if true, unless it's really a neutral site game (I could see that).

In that case NC A&T would be a good one, but will they accept a reasonable guarantee? Anything over $150k is crap - NDSU isn't in the FBS yet.

tourguide
February 27th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Irony would be how UND gets blasted for a non DI team on their schedule and yet it may be a reality to NDSU. xlolx

You do understand the difference between teams not wanting to play an OOC game against the defending champion at their place and not wanting to play a team with a racist name right?

nope, they are NAIA.......BIG step down from DII

bojeta
February 27th, 2012, 11:16 PM
UCA and SUU need a 5th home game, no way they come to Fargo.

The SWAC teams - maybe. Keep in mind that they play 9 conf games and probably already have tough non-conf games scheduled - they also need 5 home games if they get a 4 home/5away split in conf.

The MEAC schools are interesting. Why does it show a 3home/5away split for Hampton and a 5home/3away split for NC A&T?!! That's screwed up if true, unless it's really a neutral site game (I could see that).

In that case NC A&T would be a good one, but will they accept a reasonable guarantee? Anything over $150k is crap - NDSU isn't in the FBS yet.

SUU has a full schedule. Looks like they opted for a triple payday:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/BigSkyhelmschedP4web.jpg

HailSzczur
February 28th, 2012, 12:03 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/BigSkyhelmschedP4web.jpg

That's one hell of a schedule right there for SUU. Those first 6 weeks are incredibly brutal: 1 BCS team, 2 FBS teams, and 2 playoff teams. And then a bye the final week? Lot of good that does them. Good luck to them, it could be a really rough season.

tourguide
February 28th, 2012, 12:11 AM
I'd be surprised if UTSA is offering more money then NDSU.

Where are you getting your info from (link?) I still see UTSA playing Georgia St the 15th

http://www.goutsa.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13100&SPID=34919&SPSID=601025

LakesBison
February 28th, 2012, 01:33 AM
NDSU should get a MAC team, have game at metrodome and split profits.

$20 tickets x 30,000 = $600,000 $100k for rental and split the rest and put it on FSN,ESPN2 on a thurs/fri night!

HailSzczur
February 28th, 2012, 01:48 AM
NDSU should get a MAC team, have game at metrodome and split profits.

$20 tickets x 30,000 = $600,000 $100k for rental and split the rest and put it on FSN,ESPN2 on a thurs/fri night!

At this hour of the night I'm alittle to lazy to check and see what MAC teams have openings the weeks you're looking for lakes. Do you know of any or have any in mind?
While this sounds like a good idea in theory, I'm not so sure of the MAC teams would be jumping on board with this too much. I'm sure all you NDSU guys will tell us you'll pack 20,00 fans or so in the Metrodome. Seeing that the average home attendance for most MAC games is around 15,000, I don't think they're going to be rushing out to Minneapolis (quite the hike for the Ohio teams, Temple, and UMass I may add) to get shown shown up atleast in support by a FCS team.

MplsBison
February 28th, 2012, 06:46 AM

UTSA is not an FBS team yet, even though they will be in the WAC -- or more likely a WAC/Sun Belt merger.

So I kinda wonder what they're paying that would make SUU agree to give up a 5th home game.

And as someone else mentions above, UTSA's schedule does not reflect playing SUU. Here is their full schedule: http://www.goutsa.com/attachments1/126525.pdf

clenz
February 28th, 2012, 07:07 AM
UTSA is not an FBS team yet, even though they will be in the WAC -- or more likely a WAC/Sun Belt merger.

So I kinda wonder what they're paying that would make SUU agree to give up a 5th home game.

And as someone else mentions above, UTSA's schedule does not reflect playing SUU. Here is their full schedule: http://www.goutsa.com/attachments1/126525.pdf
They don't have to pay that much...that's the week UNI was set to play the second part of the home and home with SUU....UNI had Wisconsin buy that game out to play Wisconsin....the buy out was over 200K....

Don't schedule a home game and become a buy game, you are likely up 350-400K from the start

MplsBison
February 28th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Possible Sun Belt/WAC merger (non-football in lower case):

IDAHO - boise st
seattle - SAN JOSE ST
denver - NEW MEXICO ST
UTAH ST - ?

UTSA - TEXAS ST
ut arlington - NORTH TEXAS

ualr - ARK ST
WEST KY - MID TENN
LA MONROE - LA LAFAYETTE
TROY - USA
FIU - FAU

LA TECH - ?

It'd be nice if UALR and UT Arlington added football. The Seattle and Denver pairings aren't great, but at least in the same time zone.

Depending on which teams might leave for the MWC/CUSA merger, it could open some nice opportunities for move-ups from the Big Sky and Southland.

citdog
February 28th, 2012, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=MplsBison;1774896]Possible Sun Belt/WAC merger (non-football in lower case):

IDAHO - boise st
seattle - SAN JOSE ST
denver - NEW MEXICO ST
UTAH ST - ?

UTSA - TEXAS ST
ut arlington - NORTH TEXAS

ualr - ARK ST
WEST KY - MID TENN
LA MONROE - LA LAFAYETTE
TROY - USA
FIU - FAU

LA TECH - ?

It'd be nice if UALR and UT Arlington added football. The Seattle and Denver pairings aren't great, but at least in the same time zone.

Depending on which teams might leave for the MWC/CUSA merger, it could open some nice opportunities for move-ups from the Big Sky and Southland.[/QUOTE

http://cdn.unicornbooty.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Checking-in-with-the-ABSOLUTELY-ZERO-Gay-Military-Problems-Post-DADT-Repeal.gif

darell1976
February 28th, 2012, 08:03 AM
You do understand the difference between teams not wanting to play an OOC game against the defending champion at their place and not wanting to play a team with a racist name right?

Our name had nothing to do with playing NAIA/DII teams. We are transitioning and in our 5 team conference had to fill 7 spots which besides 2 FBS teams would be non DI teams. NDSU did that during their transition and as I recall Bison isn't a racist name.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 28th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Our name had nothing to do with playing NAIA/DII teams. We are transitioning and in our 5 team conference had to fill 7 spots which besides 2 FBS teams would be non DI teams. NDSU did that during their transition and as I recall Bison isn't a racist name.

The last game was Concordia-St. Paul in 2007. I don't think they have played an NAIA team in my memory.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 28th, 2012, 10:05 AM
The last game was Concordia-St. Paul in 2007. I don't think they have played an NAIA team in my memory.

In 2004 we played Montana Tech. Won 56-3. Also played D2 Carson Newman that year.

TheRevSFA
February 28th, 2012, 10:17 AM

UTSA is officially in the WAC on July 1st...

Also, that schedule is tenative and they'd probably drop one of the DII teams for SUU

NoDak 4 Ever
February 28th, 2012, 10:35 AM
In 2004 we played Montana Tech. Won 56-3. Also played D2 Carson Newman that year.

I didn't realize that M Tech was NAIA. I stand corrected.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 28th, 2012, 10:50 AM
UTSA originally has SUU on 9/15, but their unexpected "promotion" to the WAC meant they dropped the T-birds. That's why SUU has an opening.

NoCo could either play SUU on 9/15 or Sac on 9/15 as a non-conference game, which is why I have it open on my schedule and not as a done deal:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/conf-scheds-2012/big-sky-sched

It seems to me like the team with availability is either Sac or SUU and not NoCo.

srgrizizen
February 28th, 2012, 12:48 PM
NDSU would be crazy to schedule Nebraska and jeopardize their chances of a #1 seed and home field through the playoffs, without which the probability of a repeat drops considerably. And this way they can also maintain the highly enjoyable delusion that they would beat anybody if they deigned to play them.

DJKyR0
February 28th, 2012, 12:49 PM
And this way they can also maintain the highly enjoyable delusion that they would beat anybody if they deigned to play them.

Really, that's the most important part of all of this. Bring on the New York Giants/Chattanooga.

BisonBacker
February 28th, 2012, 01:16 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aK1qufQiRHk/TtL8ro3leCI/AAAAAAAAEHo/DkASIMbVVPI/s1600/funny-pictures-haters-gonna-hate.jpg

LakesBison
February 28th, 2012, 01:41 PM
NDSU vs FBS team at the METRODOME

get it done NDSU

NoDak 4 Ever
February 28th, 2012, 02:01 PM

get it done NDSU

I would love to know how/why you think that anybody would have any incentive to do that, honestly. Can you actually form a reasoned answer to this?

darell1976
February 28th, 2012, 02:10 PM

Actually it was 2006. NDSU's last year of transition of 2007 had a full DI schedule which was great scheduling by Taylor. UND went the cheap route with all the DII/NAIA teams we played during our 4 years of transition. NDSU has played 5 non DI teams since moving up from DII with 3 of them in 2004.

BisonBacker
February 28th, 2012, 03:17 PM

get it done NDSU

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Y4qGH_MbYd4/TsZqqUmQByI/AAAAAAAAAZQ/qcOKYjojiAM/s1600/978b86ee_brick-loud-noises-b.jpeg

LakesBison
February 28th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I already posted it on here bisonteacher go search it

F350KINGRANCH
February 28th, 2012, 03:34 PM
god i wish youre computer would get an inoperable virus

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 28th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I already posted it on here bisonteacher go search it

Will you be OK when GT gets a FCS game to fill our last home game?

LakesBison
February 28th, 2012, 04:27 PM
No, ill be disappointed. At Nebraska, Oklahoma, Florida St would shut up ranch,teacher,pl and all the rest of the D2 ninkumpoops.

We are national.champs, the KINGS of Fcs in 3 years, time for a new challenge

BisonBacker
February 28th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Lakes the doctors want you to come back and wash this off the window of your room.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_XzPtbnMRd8Q/SH1m_-GnSyI/AAAAAAAABek/ILzUZn43hm0/s1600/blog_quiet_please.jpg

LakesBison
February 28th, 2012, 04:58 PM
soooo you dont have a counter to this >>>> No, ill be disappointed. At Nebraska, Oklahoma, Florida St would shut up ranch,teacher,pl and all the rest of the D2 ninkumpoops.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 28th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Will you be OK when GT gets a FCS game to fill our last home game?

Man there is not a better option out there than that. Winnable FBS game, full FCS shedule with another home game. That is doing things correctly.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 28th, 2012, 05:17 PM
soooo you dont have a counter to this >>>> No, ill be disappointed. At Nebraska, Oklahoma, Florida St would shut up ranch,teacher,pl and all the rest of the D2 ninkumpoops.

It wasn't three years Lakes and it isn't something that hasn't been done before. Do you think you have the CSU game wrapped up because of what happened in 2011?

LakesBison
February 28th, 2012, 05:41 PM
im not worried about it, not saying its wrapped up

bojeta
February 28th, 2012, 06:24 PM

All schedules I compiled were from official sources, but it does appear that UTSA has made some changes and will probably NOT be playing SUU. I'm sure it won't be the last change I have to make before Sept.

bojeta
February 28th, 2012, 06:30 PM
UTSA originally has SUU on 9/15, but their unexpected "promotion" to the WAC meant they dropped the T-birds. That's why SUU has an opening.

NoCo could either play SUU on 9/15 or Sac on 9/15 as a non-conference game, which is why I have it open on my schedule and not as a done deal:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/conf-scheds-2012/big-sky-sched

It seems to me like the team with availability is either Sac or SUU and not NoCo.

Thanks for the investigative work! I wasn't aware the game had been dropped. It will be interesting to see who grabs the SUU game. NC and SAC both need home games. I think SUU already had it penciled in as a travel week and probably got some small amount of cash out of the cancellation so they won't hold out for a homer.

MplsBison
February 28th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the investigative work! I wasn't aware the game had been dropped. It will be interesting to see who grabs the SUU game. NC and SAC both need home games. I think SUU already had it penciled in as a travel week and probably got some small amount of cash out of the cancellation so they won't hold out for a homer.

No Colo is playing at Sac St on the 15th.

SUU still needs a game that day, but I'm guessing they've already told NDSU no thanks - unless it's for some outrageous amount that no FCS team deserves from another FCS team (anything over $150k).

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 28th, 2012, 07:21 PM
No Colo is playing at Sac St on the 15th.

SUU still needs a game that day, but I'm guessing they've already told NDSU no thanks - unless it's for some outrageous amount that no FCS team deserves from another FCS team (anything over $150k).

I wonder what GT's limit would be money wise to bring another FCS team in?

200-250K?

MplsBison
February 28th, 2012, 07:39 PM
I wonder what GT's limit would be money wise to bring another FCS team in?

200-250K?

At that point - what's the point? At least on a strict dollar basis, at that point you make more money with a solid FBS payday game ($300k or more).

Obviously there's something to be said with providing another opportunity to the fans to tailgate, have the gameday experience, watch the team in the dome - etc.

But I think you have to stick to principles. Don't let these little teams dictate the terms. NDSU is not an FBS team. $200k and up, that's what you get playing out at a Wyoming, Colorado St, Southern Miss, etc. You don't get that from an FCS team - end of story.

bojeta
February 28th, 2012, 07:47 PM
At that point - what's the point? At least on a strict dollar basis, at that point you make more money with a solid FBS payday game ($300k or more).

Obviously there's something to be said with providing another opportunity to the fans to tailgate, have the gameday experience, watch the team in the dome - etc.

But I think you have to stick to principles. Don't let these little teams dictate the terms. NDSU is not an FBS team. $200k and up, that's what you get playing out at a Wyoming, Colorado St, Southern Miss, etc. You don't get that from an FCS team - end of story.

I wonder if SUU got cash from UTSA. If so, any amount paid by another team might make sense.

SDFS
March 1st, 2012, 09:51 PM
So, "anytime anyplace anywhere" has turned into "I want my cupcakes at home"

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 2nd, 2012, 06:46 AM
So, "anytime anyplace anywhere" has turned into "I want my cupcakes at home"

Bison alumni and fans want 6 home games/year. Hard to get teams to come to Fargo.

darell1976
March 2nd, 2012, 08:49 AM
Bison alumni and fans want 6 home games/year. Hard to get teams to come to Fargo.

MSU-Moorhead could still be penciled in...Minot State and Sioux Falls are booked for 2012. I think its either FCS on the road or a DII at home.

There are very few FCS teams left with an open date that would fit NDSU's schedule..here is a tweet from Dom Izzo:

Let's cross a few more #FCS teams off for #NDSU: Samford+Gardner-Webb will play each other 9/15, Alcorn State out for 9/15 #Bison

MplsBison
March 2nd, 2012, 09:01 AM

No. That's not the driver.

It's nice to give the fans more games, sure. But that's not the driver.

The driver is money. NDSU football home games literally pay the bills for the athletic department. A single home game lost in the regular season is a huge amount of money that can't be made up by hosting playoff games.

Six home games in the regular season is the requirement. Has to be met, come heck or high water.

LakesBison
March 2nd, 2012, 11:55 AM
Darrell we'll keep the NAIA crap teams for your crap university to play.

Mpls WHOEVER HE IS . is right, NDSU getting a homegame makes $300,000 + $50,000 tailgating, + economic boom for bars/hotels/restaurants in fargo

MTfan4life
March 2nd, 2012, 12:34 PM
MSU-Moorhead could still be penciled in...Minot State and Sioux Falls are booked for 2012. I think its either FCS on the road or a DII at home.

There are very few FCS teams left with an open date that would fit NDSU's schedule..here is a tweet from Dom Izzo:

MSUM WILL NOT play NDSU. A. They only get one non-conference game which they usually use to give them some sort of confidence before the conference beatdown they annually take. B. The last time they tried this, MSUM was obliterated injury wise and score wise. MSUM football would struggle at the NAIA level. There's no way they try to schedule this game even if they're struggling in the money department. The likelihood of a home game against any nearby division II team is very low as all of the NSIC only gets one non-con game.

MplsBison
March 2nd, 2012, 12:50 PM
MSUM WILL NOT play NDSU. A. They only get one non-conference game which they usually use to give them some sort of confidence before the conference beatdown they annually take. B. The last time they tried this, MSUM was obliterated injury wise and score wise. MSUM football would struggle at the NAIA level. There's no way they try to schedule this game even if they're struggling in the money department. The likelihood of a home game against any nearby division II team is very low as all of the NSIC only gets one non-con game.

Dragons are worlds apart from the game in 2000 that NDSU won 80-0.

They have several former NDSU players as coaches/coordinators and one former Bison coach is the head coach. Plus the university made a commitment to that team to spend more for scholarships. They're not at the level of Duluth and St Cloud right now, but give it some time.

The former Bison connections would be the reason for the game, more than anything. And it would be very easy for Dragon fans to come across the river - probably a couple thousand tickets right there.

If there is no FCS team to bring up - book it. Sounds good to me. It will give 2nd/3rd string players a LOT of reps against well coached, lower quality athletes.

LakesBison
March 2nd, 2012, 12:52 PM
haha i agree with MTfan4life (PS you need to call me kid!) no MSUM, NO D2 for NDSU.

darell1976
March 2nd, 2012, 01:15 PM
haha i agree with MTfan4life (PS you need to call me kid!) no MSUM, NO D2 for NDSU.

So you are in favor of 5 home games?? Your FCS choices are running out.

MTfan4life
March 2nd, 2012, 01:55 PM
Dragons are worlds apart from the game in 2000 that NDSU won 80-0.

They have several former NDSU players as coaches/coordinators and one former Bison coach is the head coach. Plus the university made a commitment to that team to spend more for scholarships. They're not at the level of Duluth and St Cloud right now, but give it some time.

The former Bison connections would be the reason for the game, more than anything. And it would be very easy for Dragon fans to come across the river - probably a couple thousand tickets right there.

If there is no FCS team to bring up - book it. Sounds good to me. It will give 2nd/3rd string players a LOT of reps against well coached, lower quality athletes.

You clearly don't know that much about MSUM football. Sure they were respectable in 2006, but the last 4 years they have been just terrible. Also, the Dragons don't get 2,000 fans to their home games, other than homecoming. I doubt they'd purchase that many to watch their team risk massive injury and get utterly slaughtered. I'm guessing you have a relative that's coaching at MSUM or something like that. That wouldn't even be a game. This scholarship commitment is in it's early ages. Maybe 5 years down the road they'll be more competitive but right now it'd be like the Green Bay Packers having the University of Minnesota on their schedule.

Gil Dobie
March 2nd, 2012, 02:17 PM
So you are in favor of 5 home games?? Your FCS choices are running out.

Glad you are so concerned with NDSU :)

MplsBison
March 2nd, 2012, 02:48 PM
You clearly don't know that much about MSUM football. Sure they were respectable in 2006, but the last 4 years they have been just terrible. Also, the Dragons don't get 2,000 fans to their home games, other than homecoming. I doubt they'd purchase that many to watch their team risk massive injury and get utterly slaughtered. I'm guessing you have a relative that's coaching at MSUM or something like that. That wouldn't even be a game. This scholarship commitment is in it's early ages. Maybe 5 years down the road they'll be more competitive but right now it'd be like the Green Bay Packers having the University of Minnesota on their schedule.

Scheduling a competitive game would obviously be the farthest possible reason for agreeing to it. xrolleyesx

Benefits:
- provides required 6th game to help pay bills
- provides 6th gameday for Bison fans to tailgate, watch team in dome, etc.
- provides invaluable game reps to 2nd and 3rd string players who lack game experience
- no travel expenses would need to be provided to MSUM, just a straight cash guarantee (something like 100k would be reasonable)
- easiest possible travel for MSUM fans to watch team on road and plenty
- great opportunity for former Bison on MSUM staff to have a homecoming, it would practically be rooting for both teams to win (knowing full well that NDSU will have won the game as soon as the ink dries)

I really like this idea. Obviously I want NDSU to make the playoffs again, but IMO they have to earn that by winning out the MVFC schedule anyway.

darell1976
March 2nd, 2012, 02:50 PM
Glad you are so concerned with NDSU :)

Just like NDSU fans are with UND.

LakesBison
March 2nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
he posts on ndsu threads all the time, its a sickness

ursus arctos horribilis
March 2nd, 2012, 04:27 PM

you're silly

darell1976
March 2nd, 2012, 04:47 PM

Didn't you just post on a UND nickname thread??xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 4th, 2012, 09:55 AM
GT will find a FCS game....no need to schedule Moorhead State.

MplsBison
March 4th, 2012, 10:25 AM
GT will find a FCS game....no need to schedule Moorhead State.

Well I'm glad you decided this.

That's a great weight off my mind.

Blue Eagle
March 6th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Never forget...

"What Ga. Southern did" is score more points - 21 & could have easily scored 27 - and rush for twice as many yards - 304 - than any team Alabama played!!!

"Never forget" Alabama was concerned about getting invited to the BCS NC Game and played their first & second teams the whole game - with the first playing most of the game.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 6th, 2012, 08:50 AM
"What Ga. Southern did" is score more points - 21 & could have easily scored 27 - and rush for twice as many yards - 304 - than any team Alabama played!!!

"Never forget" Alabama was concerned about getting invited to the BCS NC Game and played their first & second teams the whole game - with the first playing most of the game.

That amounted to the proverbial hill of beans come playoff time. When do they get fitted for the "easily could have scored 27 points on Alabama" rings?

Blue Eagle
March 6th, 2012, 09:11 AM
"I want homefield in the playoffs again. And having those be 3 of your first 4 games is just asking for trouble that I want no part of."

"That amounted to the proverbial hill of beans come playoff time. When do they get fitted for the "easily could have scored 27 points on Alabama" rings?"

Good Points - if Ga. Southern had played Ga. State instead of Alabama they would have played NDSU in Statesboro and would have played in the NC Game!!!

NoDak 4 Ever
March 6th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Good point - if Ga. Southern had played Ga. State instead of Alabama they would have played NDSU in Statesboro and would have played in the NC Game!!!

Perhaps you missed that NC game. It would not have mattered where that game was played.

Blue Eagle
March 6th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Perhaps you missed that NC game. It would not have mattered where that game was played.

Perhaps you missed my point! If the Eagles had played NDSU in Statesboro NDSU would not have played in the NC Game!

NoDak 4 Ever
March 6th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Perhaps you missed my point! If the Eagles had played NDSU in Statesboro NDSU would not have played in the NC Game!

No, you missed my point. NDSU proved to be the best team regardless of venue. This has been prosecuted quite extensively over the last 2 months.

Blue Eagle
March 6th, 2012, 09:41 AM

BisonBacker
March 6th, 2012, 09:44 AM

Statesboro or Fargo the outcome would have been the same. NDSU was the better team hands down.

Professor Chaos
March 6th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Wow if the Fargodome is worth 4+ TDs, Youngstown is going to destroy the Bison at Stambaugh this year.

darell1976
March 6th, 2012, 09:48 AM

Guess we will never know since it didn't happen. Just because GSU would have been at home doesn't mean its an automatic win. Thats why games are played.

da_Bison
March 6th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Wow if the Fargodome is worth 4+ TDs, Youngstown is going to destroy the Bison at Stambaugh this year.

we play Youngstown in Fargo again this year

MplsBison
March 6th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Nope.

It might have been a (more) competitive game down south, but NDSU still would've won.

The talent differential was too great for GSoU to overcome and the superior game planning by NDSU coaches provided a distinct edge.

LakesBison
March 6th, 2012, 11:30 AM
there will be alot of road trip's to Colorado St, UNI & Youngstown this fall for bison fans.

gotts
March 6th, 2012, 11:32 AM
there will be alot of road trip's to Colorado St, UNI & Youngstown this fall for bison fans.

Youngstown is in Fargo, is it not?

NoDak 4 Ever
March 6th, 2012, 11:36 AM

A lot of road trip's what? Has your elementary school not gotten around to proper use of punctuation yet?

Youngstown is in Fargo, is it not?

Yes, don't tell him though. I want to see him make the trip all by himself.

Blue Eagle
March 6th, 2012, 12:16 PM
The point of this discussion - I thought - is NDSU turning down Nebraska and the reasons why.

One reason stated is home field advantage. NDSU had that advantage and beat GSU.

But anyone who thinks Ga. Southern's offense which probably played their worse game of the year - against a very good NDSU defense with a great game plan and except for a fumble at the goal line in the fourth quarter would have been down by only 6 points - would not have played better in Statesboro is dreaming.

And as great a defense as NDSU had they were not close to Alabama's defense!

NDSU HAD A GREAT TEAM AND DESERVED TO BE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

They did what they needed to do to get home advantage. Ga Southern did not.

MplsBison
March 6th, 2012, 12:21 PM
The point of this discussion - I thought - is NDSU turning down Nebraska and the reasons why.

One reason stated is home field advantage. NDSU had that advantage and beat GSU.

But anyone who thinks Ga. Southern's offense which probably played their worse game of the year - against a very good NDSU defense with a great game plan and except for a fumble at the goal line in the fourth quarter would have been down by only 6 points - would not have played better in Statesboro is dreaming.

Yep, they would've played better.

But NDSU defense had too much talent and the coaching staff had too good of a game plan.

Alabama had more talent, sure, but they obviously had a poor game plan for stopping GSoU's offense. I'm sure NDSU defensive coaches studied that game until the tape wore out.

I guess that's two black marks on GSoU for scheduling the Alabama game: it was a loss that cost the semi finals being in Georgia and it provided valuable insights into stopping the offense.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 6th, 2012, 12:27 PM

There's a reason they played their worst game of the year, and it wasn't the venue. It's odd that SHSU also played their worst game of the year against the Bison. GSU got weighed, measured, and they came up wanting.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 6th, 2012, 12:42 PM
There's a reason they played their worst game of the year, and it wasn't the venue. It's odd that SHSU also played their worst game of the year against the Bison. GSU got weighed, measured, and they came up wanting.

Exactly. To say that they all the sudden had the bad game just out of the blue is silly. More reps, more game experience makes your offense better. They ran their offense and it didn't work as it normally had worked. The little slip and missed tackle here and there didn't happen on that day. It didn't happen because NDSU was in place, playing assignment football, with many bodies in the area.

The point about NDSU having home field is of course what you want to have. Trying to soften it by saying it is any sort of a reason that GSU lost that game is absolutely ridiculous. It could have been closer but it could have been worse as well.

Anybody that thinks any differently is simply trying to make excuses.

TheRevSFA
March 6th, 2012, 12:52 PM

NDSU took Flanders and Sincere behind the woodshed. They played great defense and the fake punt was a great call.

It is what it is..and you shouldn't take anything away from NDSU's championship run by saying "our team played their worst game." What does that say about your team stepping up?

NoDak 4 Ever
March 6th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Exactly. To say that they all the sudden had the bad game just out of the blue is silly. More reps, more game experience makes your offense better. They ran their offense and it didn't work as it normally had worked. The little slip and missed tackle here and there didn't happen on that day. It didn't happen because NDSU was in place, playing assignment football, with many bodies in the area.

The point about NDSU having home field is of course what you want to have. Trying to soften it by saying it is any sort of a reason that GSU lost that game is absolutely ridiculous. It could have been closer but it could have been worse as well.

Anybody that thinks any differently is simply trying to make excuses.

It's actually really interesting that we're talking about this again today. I just switched my cable provider and got the ESPN3 access so I watched the entire GSU game again. It was amazing how much they talked up the TO before the game and how it just simply got shut down.

Sammy94
March 6th, 2012, 01:22 PM
They played great defense and the fake punt was a great call.

That call was the play of the game for NDSU. If not for that one play I could see a different outcome, it turned the whole game. We also played a great defensive game. That one play was the reason NDSU's leading rusher (27 yrds.) was the punter up until the middle of the 4th quarter. Great call by Bohl. xsighx

MarkyMark
March 6th, 2012, 01:49 PM
That call was the play of the game for NDSU. If not for that one play I could see a different outcome, it turned the whole game. We also played a great defensive game. That one play was the reason NDSU's leading rusher (27 yrds.) was the punter up until the middle of the 4th quarter. Great call by Bohl. xsighx

Coach Bohl didn't call it. The punter and backup running back called his own number on the fake punt.

Sammy94
March 6th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Coach Bohl didn't call it. The punter and backup running back called his own number on the fake punt.

WOW. I did not know that. Its a good thing it worked then.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 6th, 2012, 01:53 PM

Which is normally how it works. I mean the coach does ultimately call it (special teams) by saying something to the effect "If you ever see the defense slack and line up in these formations".

ursus arctos horribilis
March 6th, 2012, 01:56 PM
WOW. I did not know that. Its a good thing it worked then.

It's a gamble that has a higher percentage of working in certain defensive alignments and is green lit to be taken advantage of. Coaches also give the nod in other situations that are riskier of course.

Twentysix
March 6th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Two of my favorite plays at NDSU were by punters.

Drago's 30~ yd pass out of the endzone.

And the fake punt run in the championship game.

TheRevSFA
March 6th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Which is normally how it works. I mean the coach does ultimately call it (special teams) by saying something to the effect "If you ever see the defense slack and line up in these formations".

SFA does it on PATs if they see an advantage they go for 2...

Twentysix
March 6th, 2012, 03:00 PM
SFA does it on PATs if they see an advantage they go for 2...

even against D3 teams when said D3 team is already down by 84. xlolx

TheRevSFA
March 6th, 2012, 03:13 PM
even against D3 teams when said D3 team is already down by 84. xlolx

Practice makes perfect :D

Twentysix
March 6th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Practice makes perfect :D

Apparently SFA didn't practice enough then. ;)

TheRevSFA
March 6th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Apparently SFA didn't practice enough then. ;)

Last year we went 6-5 with a new QB...and a rough OOC schedule (save for McMurry).

I don't think this year will be any better...7-4 and missing the playoffs is a distinct possibility.

mmiller_34
March 6th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Article from the Lincoln Journal Star on the issue of being turned down by NDSU. Apparently Lots of people upset. ARTICLE HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)

Twentysix
March 6th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Article from the Lincoln Journal Star on the issue of being turned down by NDSU. Apparently Lots of people upset. ARTICLE HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)

I clicked the link button 12 times, but it just kept going to an internet phenom from years ago.

LakesBison
March 6th, 2012, 06:50 PM
well, they are pissed, they wanted the FCS champion and Craig Bohl's ***....they still aint too fond of him.

Blue Eagle
March 6th, 2012, 09:25 PM

It is what it is..and you shouldn't take anything away from NDSU's championship run by saying "our team played their worst game." What does that say about your team stepping up?

I repeat NDSU deserved their NC!!! THEY EARNED IT.

But was YSU a better team or did NDSU have a bad day when they lost to YSU at home?

Teams are like people - some days are better than others!

Ga Southern's offense did not play well against NDSU and yes their defense had a great deal to do with that. They had a great game plan and executed it very well.

But Ga Southern's offense from the beginning played very tentatively and with very little confidence. Something I remember seeing in only one other game.

Even with NDSU's great defense the Eagles' offense - I believe and I think I am a better judge of their offense than most people on here - would have played with a lot more confidence in Statesboro!

Would the Eagles have won at home? Who knows - but I think they would have!

What we do know is NDSU DID WIN AT HOME and deserved to!

NDB
March 6th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Doesn't matter.

The game WAS played in Fargo. NDSU OWNED the vaunted TO.

UNIFanSince1983
March 7th, 2012, 08:00 AM
This whole thread was a little long for me to read the entire thing. Sorry if some other UNI fan has said this.

I guess Nebraska is looking for a FCS team to play. Sign me up. Let's play 3 Big Ten teams this year. (I'm actually only half being sarcastic)

bisonnation
March 7th, 2012, 08:56 AM

No. We want to get in the playoffs and playing 2 FBS teams does not help achieve that goal. If NDSU is trying to protect their record, why did they schedule Iowa and Kansas State?

NDSU wants 6 home games and were fortune we dont need big pay day games.

LakesBison
March 7th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I along with other ndsu fans are sad that ndsu turned down nebraska for some crap.fcs team. Argh,

ursus arctos horribilis
March 7th, 2012, 11:13 AM
No. We want to get in the playoffs and playing 2 FBS teams does not help achieve that goal. If NDSU is trying to protect their record, why did they schedule Iowa and Kansas State?

Dead on right there.

MplsBison
March 7th, 2012, 12:48 PM
This whole thread was a little long for me to read the entire thing. Sorry if some other UNI fan has said this.

I guess Nebraska is looking for a FCS team to play. Sign me up. Let's play 3 Big Ten teams this year. (I'm actually only half being sarcastic)

7-1 in the MVFC and 0-3 vs the Big Ten teams would (deservedly) get you in the playoffs.

MplsBison
March 7th, 2012, 12:54 PM

NEED six home games, not want.

You see, grown ups have this thing called "money"...

darell1976
March 7th, 2012, 02:35 PM
NEED six home games, not want.

You see, grown ups have this thing called "money"...

With the traveling expenses rising, and the trouble scheduling too bad the NCAA can't make it where if you play a team in the upper half of DII (say a ranked DII team) that would count as a win towards playoffs. I think more teams would be open to scheduling upper DII teams like a Grand Valley State or Minnesota-Duluth. Not every one of those games are a guaranteed win like NDSU over Montana and UND over Northern Iowa.

BisonHype!
March 9th, 2012, 08:36 AM
With the traveling expenses rising, and the trouble scheduling too bad the NCAA can't make it where if you play a team in the upper half of DII (say a ranked DII team) that would count as a win towards playoffs. I think more teams would be open to scheduling upper DII teams like a Grand Valley State or Minnesota-Duluth. Not every one of those games are a guaranteed win like NDSU over Montana and UND over Northern Iowa.

If you had to schedule them, whatever... it doesn't really help your resume in the polls. I would rather schedule a FCS team that is available over a D2 team. It is kind of like a FBS team playing an FCS team. It can only hurt you. If you win, it doesn't help you in the polls, if you lose it damages your recruiting, and kills your season.

Hambone
March 9th, 2012, 08:59 AM
If you had to schedule them, whatever... it doesn't really help your resume in the polls. I would rather schedule a FCS team that is available over a D2 team. It is kind of like a FBS team playing an FCS team. It can only hurt you. If you win, it doesn't help you in the polls, if you lose it damages your recruiting, and kills your season.

There is a difference - for an FBS team, although it won't necessarily help them in the polls, they can use 1 win versus an FCS opponent to become bowl eligible.

darell1976
March 9th, 2012, 09:07 AM

I am talking playoffs, not polls. Polls don't matter if you can't get in the playoffs. If a win over a top 25 DII team counts towards the playoffs more teams would have less problems scheduling since DII teams are closer than some FCS teams especially if the closest FCS team is booked for the season. And I agree with Hambone where in the FBS a win against a FCS team counts towards a bowl game.