PDA

View Full Version : FCS Combine Updates

smallcollegefbfan
February 24th, 2012, 07:46 PM
UTC QB BJ Coleman showed up in a cast. Will not throw. This hurts his stock. I had him in the 5th-6th round range but until he throws he is a borderline draft pick.

On the OL, the bench reps winner was Portland State tackle Dustin Waldron with 29 reps.

The weakest on the line was USD tackle Tom Compton with 20.

SeattleGriz
February 25th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Who is the #1 FCS pick in your opinion?

ursus arctos horribilis
February 25th, 2012, 10:25 PM

Wow SeaGriz you look a lot younger than the last time I seen ya!:D

SeattleGriz
February 26th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Wow SeaGriz you look a lot younger than the last time I seen ya!:D

That raspberry is for you my brother! Been going through the family photos this last week. Don't be surprised to see me as a 4 year old girl later this week!

Apphole
February 26th, 2012, 09:34 AM

BQ

asumike83
February 26th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Brian Quick was just clocked at a 4.48 40-yard dash at the combine on his first try. Not bad for a guy his size, shouldn't hurt his stock at all.

Apphole
February 26th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Brian Quick was just clocked at a 4.48 40-yard dash at the combine on his first try. Not bad for a guy his size, shouldn't hurt his stock at all.

He was also measured as having the longest arms in the combine. And you know what they say about long arms....

CrunchGriz
February 26th, 2012, 04:10 PM
He was also measured as having the longest arms in the combine. And you know what they say about long arms....

That they're connected to hands that can't hang on to game winning/tying passes in Wa-Griz when he's closely covered by Montana's high draft choice CB? ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist....

Apphole
February 26th, 2012, 05:12 PM
That they're connected to hands that can't hang on to game winning/tying passes in Wa-Griz when he's closely covered by Montana's high draft choice CB? ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist....

Ouch. That was a tough L. Anyway, BQ just ran a 4.48 40. Many scouts have now "Mexican belt buckled" themselves.

CrunchGriz
February 26th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Ouch. That was a tough L. Anyway, BQ just ran a 4.48 40. Many scouts have now "Mexican belt buckled" themselves.

Just kidding. Good luck to BQ--He's a great receiver who will continue to do ASU and FCS proud.

alvinkayak6
February 26th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Can somebody please explain the love affair with BJ Coleman?

grizband
February 26th, 2012, 11:13 PM
UTC QB BJ Coleman showed up in a cast. Will not throw. This hurts his stock. I had him in the 5th-6th round range but until he throws he is a borderline draft pick.

On the OL, the bench reps winner was Portland State tackle Dustin Waldron with 29 reps.

The weakest on the line was USD tackle Tom Compton with 20.

Compton may have done poorly in the bench, but his numbers stacked up pretty well in other categories:
5th in the 40 yard dash (5.11)
8th in the vertical jump (30 inches)
3rd in broad jump (108 inches)
7th in 20 yard shuttle (4.60)

He may not be the strongest, but Compton seems to be quick/agile. Anyways, good to see FCS guys comparing well with the FBS players.

seantaylor
February 27th, 2012, 01:29 AM
what was Quick's official 40time? Unofficial times are always at least one tenth faster.

chattownmocs
February 27th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Not sure why Coleman kept it quiet before he got there. It may hurt his stock. Still betting he goes in the 5th. He had a chance to move up though if he had thrown.

BisonHype!
February 27th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I think Brian Quick could be a nice 3rd option for some team.

blueballs
February 27th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I think Brian Quick could be a nice 3rd option for some team.

Quick is a good special teams player too which will help him.

As for Coleman, there's nothing wrong with him. He just felt sorry for all the other QB's there, especially Luck and RG3, and showed up in a cast so as to not show them up. It was also widely rumored that the NFLPA didn't want him throwing due to the fact that too many receivers' fingers would be broken.

Bearwitness
February 27th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Quick graded out quite high at the combines (84.7) and is expected to be a high second round pick and eventual starter in the NFL. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brian-quick?id=2532933

I was pleased to see Maine safety Jeron McMillian grade out the highest of the three CAA invitees to the combine and project as round 5-7 pick in the draft.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jeron-mcmillian?id=2532908

smallcollegefbfan
February 27th, 2012, 10:10 PM

Brian Quick for sure. I think Steed will go in the 4th round unless he can run in the 4.4s tomorrow.

I expect Presley to run 4.38-4.44 and end up in the late rounds.

Josh Norman should run well and could push as well. I expect him to go in the third round.

smallcollegefbfan
February 27th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Compton may have done poorly in the bench, but his numbers stacked up pretty well in other categories:
5th in the 40 yard dash (5.11)
8th in the vertical jump (30 inches)
3rd in broad jump (108 inches)
7th in 20 yard shuttle (4.60)

He may not be the strongest, but Compton seems to be quick/agile. Anyways, good to see FCS guys comparing well with the FBS players.

He looked good in the drills. I think he's a solid 5th rounder.

smallcollegefbfan
February 27th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Not sure why Coleman kept it quiet before he got there. It may hurt his stock. Still betting he goes in the 5th. He had a chance to move up though if he had thrown.

Go back and look at that past. FCS players with injuries who cause them to miss postseason workouts fall on draft day. Unless he puts up a good performance at his pro day he won't go higher than the 6th round and may fall out of the draft.

PaladinFan
February 28th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Brian Quick for sure. I think Steed will go in the 4th round unless he can run in the 4.4s tomorrow.

I expect Presley to run 4.38-4.44 and end up in the late rounds.

Josh Norman should run well and could push as well. I expect him to go in the third round.

I would be interested to know if Steed's performance against Quick helps his stock. I agree that Quick should be highly rated, but i think it bears some level of interest that he did not have a good game against Furman, and particularly against Steed.

In that game, Jackson attempted 44 passes, only four found Quick. Indeed, most of Quick's yards came late in the fourth quarter after the issue was decided. Steed even intercepted a pass intended for Quick in the first quarter. Frankly, if Quick is as high as folks say he should be (deservedly so), it would not surprise me if Steed was chosen soon thereafter.

chattownmocs
February 28th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Go back and look at that past. FCS players with injuries who cause them to miss postseason workouts fall on draft day. Unless he puts up a good performance at his pro day he won't go higher than the 6th round and may fall out of the draft.

Still will be be the 7th-9th QB taken.

asumike83
February 28th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I would be interested to know if Steed's performance against Quick helps his stock. I agree that quick should be highly rated, but i think it bears some level of interest that he did not have a good game against Furman.

In that game, Jackson attempted 44 passes, only four found Quick. Indeed, most of Quick's yards came late in the fourth quarter after the issue was decided. Steed even intercepted a pass intended for Quick in the first quarter. Frankly, if Quick is as high as folks say he should be (deservedly so), I do not see how Steed could be far behind him.

There were certainly plenty of scouts there, so I would think so. However, in Quick's defense, it wasn't exactly like Steed was on an island. They had a great game plan, which included Steed covering him along with a safety shading over to force Jackson to go elsewhere. It worked and because none of our other receivers posed that kind of deep threat, they were able to keep the App receivers in front of them and pretty much eliminate big plays.

That being said, Steed played a great game and probably won't last past day two.

nwFL Griz
February 28th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Ok, maybe I'm being a homer, but how has the discussion gone on this long about who will be the #1 FCS pick, and Trumaine Johnson hasn't been mentioned? (Except in a dig at BQ).

My money would be on him being the first FCS player selected.

PaladinFan
February 28th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Presley runs an unofficial 4.56

Steed runs an unofficial 4.72

Dissapointing, I think, for both. Steed is no burner, but needs to be in that 4.4 or 4.5 range. Presley is billed as a burner, but his first time is in the range of a lot of the much bigger safeties.

SeattleGriz
February 28th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Ok, maybe I'm being a homer, but how has the discussion gone on this long about who will be the #1 FCS pick, and Trumaine Johnson hasn't been mentioned? (Except in a dig at BQ).

Trumaine just ran a 4.50 unofficial 40 yd. Hard to tell what official and unofficial, as I am forced to watch cartoons with the kids.

Mr. C
February 28th, 2012, 12:04 PM

My sources have told me for some time that it just isn't going to happen. Brian Quick has an outside shot at going in the first round (don't be totally surprised if the New England Patriots jump at him late in the first), though it is more likely Quick settles into round two. He definitely will be gone in the first 50 players. Trumaine Johnson is more likely to go in round four or five. Johnson's arrest last year doesn't help him move up any further than that and that has been where most scouts see him talent-wise anyway. Justin Bethel of Presbyterian and Ryan Steed of Furman should go ahead of Johnson in terms of defensive backs.

PaladinFan
February 28th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Presley runs an unofficial 4.56

Steed runs an unofficial 4.72

Dissapointing, I think, for both. Steed is no burner, but needs to be in that 4.4 or 4.5 range. Presley is billed as a burner, but his first time is in the range of a lot of the much bigger safeties.

Presley's official time goes at 4.64 and Steed's at 4.68.

Neither a particularly good time, and puts both well off the pace. Probably a tougher time for Presley.

asumike83
February 28th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Presley's official time goes at 4.64 and Steed's at 4.68.

Neither a particularly good time, and puts both well off the pace. Probably a tougher time for Presley.

That is very surprising, to say the least. I'd think there is slim to no chance that Presley gets drafted with those measurables. Looks like he'll have to catch on somewhere as a rookie FA and hope for the best.

KNUTS
February 28th, 2012, 12:59 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d827453aa/Johnson-happy-to-perform-on-big-stage

Here is a quick interview with Tru at this mornings combine

SeattleGriz
February 28th, 2012, 01:06 PM
My sources have told me for some time that it just isn't going to happen. Brian Quick has an outside shot at going in the first round (don't be totally surprised if the New England Patriots jump at him late in the first), though it is more likely Quick settles into round two. He definitely will be gone in the first 50 players. Trumaine Johnson is more likely to go in round four or five. Johnson's arrest last year doesn't help him move up any further than that and that has been where most scouts see him talent-wise anyway. Justin Bethel of Presbyterian and Ryan Steed of Furman should go ahead of Johnson in terms of defensive backs.

As per the NFL Combine analyst, Tru was the 4th be CB after the event and your sources are saying he will go in the 4th or 5th round? I realize your sources made that prediction before the combine, but that is still quite a disparity.

ASUMountaineer
February 28th, 2012, 01:41 PM
That is very surprising, to say the least. I'd think there is slim to no chance that Presley gets drafted with those measurables. Looks like he'll have to catch on somewhere as a rookie FA and hope for the best.

Yeah, that's disappointing. Hate to see that for him, as I expected him to probably beat BQ's time. Best of luck to DP though, heck of a guy!

phoenix3
February 28th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I would be interested to know if Steed's performance against Quick helps his stock. I agree that Quick should be highly rated, but i think it bears some level of interest that he did not have a good game against Furman, and particularly against Steed.

In that game, Jackson attempted 44 passes, only four found Quick. Indeed, most of Quick's yards came late in the fourth quarter after the issue was decided. Steed even intercepted a pass intended for Quick in the first quarter. Frankly, if Quick is as high as folks say he should be (deservedly so), it would not surprise me if Steed was chosen soon thereafter.

If the same scouts that saw Steed against Quick also saw Steed against Mellette they should cancel out. I like to see the SoCon do well in the NFL but I sincerely don't understand the Steed hype.

Apphole
February 28th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Yeah, that's disappointing. Hate to see that for him, as I expected him to probably beat BQ's time. Best of luck to DP though, heck of a guy!

DP really under achieved. Bummer! I know for a fact he can run a sub 4.4 40. He's definitely faster than BQ. Hopefully he can work his way up from a practice squad. He has more intangibles than any other player. With his attitude, he's definitely one of my favorite App players of all time.

ASUMountaineer
February 28th, 2012, 01:45 PM
As per the NFL Combine analyst, Tru was the 4th be CB after the event and your sources are saying he will go in the 4th or 5th round? I realize your sources made that prediction before the combine, but that is still quite a disparity.

It's clearly an inexact science. Otherwise, the Panthers wouldn't have "gotten lucky" and been able to draft Clausen in the 2nd round. It's hard to trust any of the so-called "experts."

smallcollegefbfan
February 28th, 2012, 01:46 PM

Part of what you are saying is agreed on. Just like Steed did even better against Jeffery and Jeffery is likely a 2nd round pick. I think the problem for Steed is that ASU did not throw to Quick often. They seemed to stay away from Steed because ASU's QB doesn't have the arm to sneak the ball into tight windows against Steed.

I think Steed is a 3rd round talent but his 4.68 40 today is going to drop him. I expect he goes in the 4th or 5th round as of now but he certainly has 3rd round talent.

smallcollegefbfan
February 28th, 2012, 01:50 PM
It's clearly an inexact science. Otherwise, the Panthers wouldn't have "gotten lucky" and been able to draft Clausen in the 2nd round. It's hard to trust any of the so-called "experts."

Go back and look but I never said I liked Clausen. I thought anything higher than 4th round was a joke and I personally didn't want him on my team. You are right though many of these experts on the internet don't have a clue.

I'll let you in on a hint. Pay attention to Mayock and Brandt. Ignore the rest. NFLDraftScout.com is a decent one to know if guys are moving up and for accurate raw data but they even miss on some guys like 3rd round projection on 2-3 every year who go 7th round or undrafted. They are pretty good though.

Another one to pay close attention to is Rick Gosselin. If he has Quick 50 overall and doesn't have Steed in the top 100 you can bet that Quick is going mid-late 2nd and Steed is likely 4th round at best. I'll be interested to see where he has Norman and Steed after their 40 times. Although, if they run again and clock 4.4s-4.5s then the combine will be forgotten.

But like I said Gosselin, Brandt, and Mayock are your best sources. I do think Trumaine is rated in the 3rd round by many NFL people right now but I have a feeling he will fall some. He is more of a free safety than cornerback and his off field stuff from this past year personally scares me a little bit. It's not a huge deal but I think it drops him a round from where his talent should put him.

smallcollegefbfan
February 28th, 2012, 01:51 PM
If the same scouts that saw Steed against Quick also saw Steed against Mellette they should cancel out. I like to see the SoCon do well in the NFL but I sincerely don't understand the Steed hype.

In all fairness, Quick can do better than he has but ASU did not go to Quick like they should have. To make a point for you. Mellette is a stud. I have a third round grade on him right now. He would have been better served coming out early than about 5-6 of those who did this year.

And this is coming from the same person who said Hudgins was overrated and would NEVER play in the NFL. Mellette is BY FAR better than Hudgins. He is a great player. I think he's a definite top 100 pick if he runs well.

smallcollegefbfan
February 28th, 2012, 01:54 PM

Quick will be the first FCS player selected but I think after that it is a race between Norman, Steed, Johnson, Compton, and I believe a workout freak from pro days will vault up into the 4th round this year to challenge as the 3rd or 4th FCS player taken. Not going to say who yet because there are 2-3 candidates and I want to see their workouts before I mention names.

PaladinFan
February 28th, 2012, 02:10 PM
In all fairness, Quick can do better than he has but ASU did not go to Quick like they should have. To make a point for you. Mellette is a stud. I have a third round grade on him right now. He would have been better served coming out early than about 5-6 of those who did this year.

And this is coming from the same person who said Hudgins was overrated and would NEVER play in the NFL. Mellette is BY FAR better than Hudgins. He is a great player. I think he's a definite top 100 pick if he runs well.

That's perhaps true. I suppose the argument is circular as App doesn't target Quick because he was covered by Steed. I do not get a lifesize picture of App's offense ignoring their best player in a game where their offense was stagnant and the running game non-existent. I think you saw some of that all season. Steed did not have some of the big time numbers in terms of interceptions or tackles, but I think a lot of that is because after his junior season, offenses just started to throw the ball to someone else.

Mallette, though, was an exception. Furman's defense had pretty well blanketed just about every star reciever they played, but Malette worked them over. You can chalk some of that up to a bad day defensively, or Elon's pass happy offense. At the end of the day, Mallette went to work on the Paladins in a game they don't win without him.

PaladinFan
February 28th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Part of what you are saying is agreed on. Just like Steed did even better against Jeffery and Jeffery is likely a 2nd round pick. I think the problem for Steed is that ASU did not throw to Quick often. They seemed to stay away from Steed because ASU's QB doesn't have the arm to sneak the ball into tight windows against Steed.

I think Steed is a 3rd round talent but his 4.68 40 today is going to drop him. I expect he goes in the 4th or 5th round as of now but he certainly has 3rd round talent.

No doubt the time was lacking, but Steed's strong suit was never his speed. I use the 5th round as his floor, though. Steed is a much bigger and more talented player than William Middleton was, and Middleton was a 5th rounder and starter in Jacksonville.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 28th, 2012, 02:22 PM
his off field stuff from this past year personally scares me a little bit. It's not a huge deal but I think it drops him a round from where his talent should put him.

I can see that but if it has any bearing on what people are thinking I have to wonder what they actually know about it. This is off field trouble?

Stereo too loud so cops come by.
Cops ask music to be turned down and it is complied with.
Kemp is asked outside by cops and complies, closes door behind him as he exits house.
Kemp makes call to father or grandfather and police take phone from him.
Kemp tries to hang on to phone and is tazed.
Johnson hears commotion comes outside to help or grab friend and is also then tazed.

All charges against the two are dismissed.

I mean I get it if that's some big deal to anyone but acting like it is a big deal doesn't make too much sense to me.

ASUMountaineer
February 28th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Go back and look but I never said I liked Clausen. I thought anything higher than 4th round was a joke and I personally didn't want him on my team. You are right though many of these experts on the internet don't have a clue.

I'll let you in on a hint. Pay attention to Mayock and Brandt. Ignore the rest. NFLDraftScout.com is a decent one to know if guys are moving up and for accurate raw data but they even miss on some guys like 3rd round projection on 2-3 every year who go 7th round or undrafted. They are pretty good though.

Another one to pay close attention to is Rick Gosselin. If he has Quick 50 overall and doesn't have Steed in the top 100 you can bet that Quick is going mid-late 2nd and Steed is likely 4th round at best. I'll be interested to see where he has Norman and Steed after their 40 times. Although, if they run again and clock 4.4s-4.5s then the combine will be forgotten.

But like I said Gosselin, Brandt, and Mayock are your best sources. I do think Trumaine is rated in the 3rd round by many NFL people right now but I have a feeling he will fall some. He is more of a free safety than cornerback and his off field stuff from this past year personally scares me a little bit. It's not a huge deal but I think it drops him a round from where his talent should put him.

I never said, or implied, that you made any mention of Clausen. Here in Charlotte, we rip Kiper for that nonsense. It was just to point out that evaluators and prognosticators (I used the plural "experts") get it wrong a considerable amount of the time (Tom Brady, Ryan Leaf, etc.). I have no reason to doubt your projections or knowledge and am thankful for your thoughts and insights to us armchair QBs. I was speaking generally, of course.

SeattleGriz
February 28th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I can see that but if it has any bearing on what people are thinking I have to wonder what they actually know about it. This is off field trouble?

Stereo too loud so cops come by.
Cops ask music to be turned down and it is complied with.
Kemp is asked outside by cops and complies, closes door behind him as he exits house.
Kemp makes call to father or grandfather and police take phone from him.
Kemp tries to hang on to phone and is tazed.
Johnson hears commotion comes outside to help or grab friend and is also then tazed.

All charges against the two are dismissed.

I mean I get it if that's some big deal to anyone but acting like it is a big deal doesn't make too much sense to me.

I will go with Mayock picking Tru as the 4th best CB at the combine. I think some of the experts didn't completely follow up on Tru's incident and therefore believe he has off the field issues. Think SCFBF might have it right in that Tru may drop a couple of spots but not drastically.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 28th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I will go with Mayock picking Tru as the 4th best CB at the combine. I think some of the experts didn't completely follow up on Tru's incident and therefore believe he has off the field issues. Think SCFBF might have it right in that Tru may drop a couple of spots but not drastically.

Yeah definitely not saying anything won't happen like that. But when sources are telling you something and they don't have the facts correct then the person being told could tip them off and say "what exactly do you think his off field problems were?".

Well, maybe people don't do that but I certainly would...obvious I guess by my doing it here. Just hat to see the real story being sort of pushed aside and only the original headlines being the source since we have a great wealth of information here that could correct some of those misconceptions.

Oh well.

BTW in the interest of full disclosure I myself have had the cops show up and request that I stop disturbing the peace...several times in my past. I have recovered from by indiscrretions.

phoenix3
February 28th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Quick should do very well in the NFL. When you talk about 4.4/4.5 40 times being necessary, don't forget that Fitzgerald ran a 4.68 in the combine. And before someone says Quick is no Larry Fitzgerald, Neither was Larry Fitzgerald. I fully expect Quick to develop well and barring injury or just bad luck, should be a starter somewhere in a couple of years.

phoenix3
February 28th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Also, not to be a horse's a$$, but the 4 games over 4 seasons in which I saw Steed play, he was never a factor. This includes games in which Mellette didn't play.

PaladinFan
February 28th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Also, not to be a horse's a$$, but the 4 games over 4 seasons in which I saw Steed play, he was never a factor. This includes games in which Mellette didn't play.

I can understand that you would think that. However, he was invited to the combine and for two years has been considered an NFL draft pick, so he might have actually been decent in games you did not see.

Cleets
February 28th, 2012, 03:59 PM

Trumaine is going to get a chance to play in the NFL
That much is certain - He's got the size and he's fast enough to play safety in the NFL
The order in which he goes won't increase or decrease his opportunity to play - He's going to get signed by an NFL team and get a chance to beat somebody out for a position

phoenix3
February 28th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I can understand that you would think that. However, he was invited to the combine and for two years has been considered an NFL draft pick, so he might have actually been decent in games you did not see.

That's a fair statement.

wapiti
February 28th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Does anyone know if WR Elvis Akpla is at Combine and if so, how he is doing?
Thanks,

ursus arctos horribilis
February 28th, 2012, 04:55 PM
That's a fair statement.

No doubt, I was pretty impressed myself.

smallcollegefbfan
February 28th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Does anyone know if WR Elvis Akpla is at Combine and if so, how he is doing?
Thanks,

He was not invited. He might be at a regional combine but I'm not sure.

smallcollegefbfan
February 28th, 2012, 06:31 PM
No doubt the time was lacking, but Steed's strong suit was never his speed. I use the 5th round as his floor, though. Steed is a much bigger and more talented player than William Middleton was, and Middleton was a 5th rounder and starter in Jacksonville.

Steed is better than Middleton but needs a better 40 time to ensure better than 5th round right now. If he can clock 4.5s at pro day on March 9th I'll say he is back in the 4th round.

Mr. C
February 29th, 2012, 12:51 AM

Remember that Presley will still have another chance to improve his stock at his pro day. Presley is the type of player that someone might pick in the seventh round and take a flier on, because of his developmental potential. Didn't hear anything on his other test scores. Everyone seems to be making a big deal of his 40 time only.

katstrapper
February 29th, 2012, 04:47 AM
What about DL/OLB EJ Nduka from Sam Houston St. From what I read he was really catching peoples eyes in Houston with his performance.

seantaylor
February 29th, 2012, 06:32 AM

Appy has 12 first round picks.

PaladinFan
February 29th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Remember that Presley will still have another chance to improve his stock at his pro day. Presley is the type of player that someone might pick in the seventh round and take a flier on, because of his developmental potential. Didn't hear anything on his other test scores. Everyone seems to be making a big deal of his 40 time only.

He had a pretty poor day all around, I think. 4.64 40, 8 bench reps, 32 inch vert., 114 inch broad, 7.19 in the three cone, and 4.28 in the 20 yard shuttle.

The combine tracker does not have a feature to compare players, but I'll use Steed as an example (who admittedly needs a good pro day too). Steed had a 4.68 40, 12 bench reps, 34 inch vert., 121 inch borad, 6.94 three cone, 4.22 in the 20 yard shuttle.

Granted, we are talking about fractions of seconds and inches here, but in the NFL those things matter. Presley was billed as a speed and quickness guy, and did not really show either. He'll likely get a look, but I don't see that as draftable, particularly considering he does not have a true position and kick returners in the NFL are becoming less useful with the recent rule changes.

Saint3333
February 29th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I've watched a lot of ASU football since 1985 and I seriously thought DP would run the best 40 time since Dexter Jackson. There really is a difference in 40 time and game speed. I've seen guys have the angle on DP and him blow by them. I wonder if AE and Quick had better trainers leading up to the combine?

Apphole
February 29th, 2012, 08:09 AM
I've watched a lot of ASU football since 1985 and I seriously thought DP would run the best 40 time since Dexter Jackson. There really is a difference in 40 time and game speed. I've seen guys have the angle on DP and him blow by them. I wonder if AE and Quick had better trainers leading up to the combine?

How much training do you need to run a 40 as fast as you can? I assumed he got a bad step or something. The combine can be very unforgiving.

Saint3333
February 29th, 2012, 08:51 AM
My guess is you weren't on the track team.

PaladinFan
February 29th, 2012, 09:02 AM

I agree with that. There is undoubtedly some technique involved in each of these areas. The unfortuante part is, regardless of whether it is a fair representation, it is what it is.

It's like the SAT, in my opinion. Is that the best way to determine someone's ability to succeed in higher education? Probably not. But at the end of the day, it tries to take everyone and put them in an academic vaccuum and colleges are free to take or leave the results. I think the NFL combine is like that. Playing field was exactly the same for everyone, and teams can take or leave the results.

PaladinFan
February 29th, 2012, 09:09 AM
This will really leave your head scratching.

I went back and looked at the 2008 combine results. Both Presley and Steed posted times slightly faster than Jerome Felton (one site had him at 4.74 and another at 4.68). I mean, explain how that makes any sense.

bojeta
February 29th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Asa Jackson from Cal Poly ran a 4.49 and scored a total combine of 70.5, so it's likely he go somewhere between the 4th and 7th round. He has been timed faster in the 40 so that was a little disappointing, but ultimately it's what they do in the NFL once they're there.

blueballs
February 29th, 2012, 10:18 AM
As a player or athlete in general, sometimes you have it and sometimes you don't. Some days you feel good and others you're sluggish. It is an absolute truth and can't be explained. That's why I wouldn't put much stock in a relatively slow 40 time or two on one day out of a guy's life. Players should be judged on a overall body of work and how they play- not on a 40 yard sprint on a day in February.

poly51
February 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/28/official-40-yard-dash-results-defensive-backs/

INDIANAPOLIS — Here are the 40-yard dash results for defensive backs who worked out Tuesday at the NFL Scouting Combine:

Top 10

Josh Robinson, Central Florida, 4.33 seconds

Rond’trique Brooks, LSU, 4.37

Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina, 4.40

Coty Sensabaugh, Clemson, 4.42

Dwight Bentley, Louisiana-Lafayette, 4.43

Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama, 4.46

Jayron Hosley, Virginia Tech, 4.47

Coryell, Judie, Texas A&M, 4.48

Asa, Jackson, Cal Poly St., 4.49

Morris Claiborne, LSU, 4.50

cpalum
February 29th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Asa Jackson from Cal Poly ran a 4.49 and scored a total combine of 70.5, so it's likely he go somewhere between the 4th and 7th round. He has been timed faster in the 40 so that was a little disappointing, but ultimately it's what they do in the NFL once they're there.

Glad you posted this...I think Johnson from Montana looked very good (when he was kicking Poly's butt in particular) but I honestly don't understand all the chatter on the board about Steed. Asa Jackson looks better than Steed to me.

I can see Asa going in the 4th or 5th round.

smallcollegefbfan
February 29th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Glad you posted this...I think Johnson from Montana looked very good (when he was kicking Poly's butt in particular) but I honestly don't understand all the chatter on the board about Steed. Asa Jackson looks better than Steed to me.

I can see Asa going in the 4th or 5th round.

The reason for the chatter is that Steed is bigger and he has tape shutting down Alshon Jeffery and holding Brian Quick in check. I think Asa will get drafted in the mid rounds but I was hoping for a 4.40 or faster from him. I think that would have put him in the 3rd or early 4th round.

cpalum
February 29th, 2012, 07:05 PM
The reason for the chatter is that Steed is bigger and he has tape shutting down Alshon Jeffery and holding Brian Quick in check. I think Asa will get drafted in the mid rounds but I was hoping for a 4.40 or faster from him. I think that would have put him in the 3rd or early 4th round.

I agree with all of that. Asa ran a 4.40 last year and I was hoping the same. I still think Asa is a 4th or 5th round guy but there have been several folks who have said that even with the 4.49 he ran his overall combine results helped his draft stock. There have also been folks who have said they expect him to be the highest pick ever out of Cal Poly (Barden went in the 3rd)

Steed is a great player but from what I have seen, Asa had a better combine. Everyone knew coming in that Steed was bigger.

I would assume that Steed and Jackson will be picked in close to the same round? Johnson looks like the class of the FCS DBs to me.

Truefan
February 29th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Christian Thompson (CTscan) from South Carolina State . ran a 4.47 at 213lbs That's moving for safety . The commentators state he in the top 10 for FS after the East, West game but his numbers put I'm the top group based his size, speed and hitting ability on film.

SU DOG
February 29th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Add former Samford player Corey White to the list of FCS players who have done well.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/former_samford_defensive_back.html

Mr. C
February 29th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Appy has 12 first round picks.

Showing your intelligence again? Do you actually know anyone in the league?

smallcollegefbfan
March 1st, 2012, 11:00 AM
Christian Thompson (CTscan) from South Carolina State . ran a 4.47 at 213lbs That's moving for safety . The commentators state he in the top 10 for FS after the East, West game but his numbers put I'm the top group based his size, speed and hitting ability on film.

Thompson is a guy who is up and down depending on who you talk to. Some said he played like a 3rd rounder in games and then other games a 6th rounder. His workout numbers are very good. His only problem is the baggage. If a team can ignore it I could see 4th round on him. Don't see him falling past the 6th round unless there is more baggage than I know about.

smallcollegefbfan
March 1st, 2012, 11:01 AM
Add former Samford player Corey White to the list of FCS players who have done well.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/former_samford_defensive_back.html

White did very well.

The FCS players who helped themselves IMO are: Aaron Corp, Corey White, Justin Bethel, Christian Thompson, and Jerron McMillian.

Players who did what was expected: Brian Quick, Janzen Jackson, and Caleb McSurdy.

Players who hurt themselves: Ryan Steed, Patrick Witt, DeAndre Presley, and Josh Norman.

I think Corp is the best QB prospect. I like his skills more than Coleman and he is bigger than many thought he would be, too.

Rekdiver
March 1st, 2012, 11:43 AM
BQ qill not be running down on any kicks. He may be on a punt block team but that will be it

Quick is a good special teams player too which will help him.

As for Coleman, there's nothing wrong with him. He just felt sorry for all the other QB's there, especially Luck and RG3, and showed up in a cast so as to not show them up. It was also widely rumored that the NFLPA didn't want him throwing due to the fact that too many receivers' fingers would be broken.

Mr. C
March 1st, 2012, 11:48 AM
White did very well.

The FCS players who helped themselves IMO are: Aaron Corp, Corey White, Justin Bethel, Christian Thompson, and Jerron McMillian.

Players who did what was expected: Brian Quick, Janzen Jackson, and Caleb McSurdy.

Players who hurt themselves: Ryan Steed, Patrick Witt, DeAndre Presley, and Josh Norman.

I think Corp is the best QB prospect. I like his skills more than Coleman and he is bigger than many thought he would be, too.

I would agree with you on Aaron Corp. He was the best pro prospect at QB that I saw in the FCS senior class this season. I like the way he reads defenses, goes through his progressions and I also like the accuracy he shows.

apaladin
March 2nd, 2012, 09:05 AM
I hate to say it but Steed could go undrafted unless he improves his 40 speed dramatically at Pro Day. I think I heard that no DB had ever been drafted with that kind of a 40. He may well have to go the FA route.

Rekdiver
March 2nd, 2012, 11:09 AM
I was surprised by some of the 40 times especially Steed and Pressley. They will have to impress in a camp as FA's and they have a lot of conditioning work to get cracking on.