PDA

View Full Version : Yale Daily News opinion piece - Yale sports sinking into mediocrity

bulldog10jw
February 23rd, 2012, 08:08 PM
http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2012/feb/22/janes-transition-mediocrity/

Since the 1993-1994 academic year, Yale has won 51 Ivy League titles. In that time, only Columbia at 33 and Dartmouth with 39 have claimed fewer. That year coincides with the start of a move by Yale University administration to reduce the number of recruited student-athletes. According to a Sept. 2010 interview with University President Richard Levin in the Yale Alumni Magazine, the Levin administration has reduced the number of recruited athletes from 17 percent of the Yale’s student body to 13 percent. Levin told the magazine he wants that number to go down even more. For those few slots Yale coaches are allotted for athletes, recruiting gets harder and harder as coaches’ hands are tied not only with stringent restrictions, but also by the obvious gap in Yale’s commitment to support its athletes when compared with other schools. Simply put, it won’t be long before we don’t stand a chance.

Ivytalk
February 23rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
Total bummer. Haven't seen any comparable interviews with Harvard's Drew Faust, but I don't think her view of athletics is any different from Levin's.

Pard4Life
February 23rd, 2012, 09:12 PM
Ha! Lafayette has been way ahead of you guys... we are ahead of the Ivy at something!

Too bad because sports is the backdoor entry into the IL.

Cleets
February 23rd, 2012, 09:33 PM
Powerful athletic programs do corrupt institutions of higher learning
Coaches get too uppity - pressure is applied throughout the balance of the administration and the compromises begin...
As the monster known as college athletics slowly consumes the America university system (school after school) and corruption drizzles into every corner of the infected administrations it's nice to see Yale stand for something other than TV deals and side-stepping the recruiting process

:D

Go...gate
February 23rd, 2012, 10:15 PM
Saddens me a bit to read this because I remember when the Ivies were much, much more powerful in so many sports.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 23rd, 2012, 10:49 PM
1) How can you draw yourself into answering a question you posed yourself?

2) What is this but a rah-rah piece with one "fact" pulled from the alumni magazine (Levin has reduced the number of student-athletes) and a whole lot of misinformed nonsense?

Yale isn't headed to Division III.

Yale is "non-scholarship"? It has more athletes competing on financial aid than Stanford.

Building a good athletic program at Yale is a challenge? With that endowment? The Yale global brand? And, failing that, the Yale Bowl? It's most decidedly less of a challenge that building a good program at, well, anywhere else. (Georgetown. Multi-sport field.)

"The fact that Yale athletes are accomplishing the Herculean task of overcoming their comparative disadvantage while maintaining high standards academically is evidence enough of their efforts?" Excuse me while I puke in a corner. Herculean? Really? This program which fielded a Nebraska transfer QB last year?

Reading this is kind of like Mitt Romney asking me to empathize with him because he has to pay taxes and hire illegal immigrants to take care of his three mansions.

Cleets
February 23rd, 2012, 11:40 PM
1) How can you draw yourself into answering a question you posed yourself?

2) What is this but a rah-rah piece with one "fact" pulled from the alumni magazine (Levin has reduced the number of student-athletes) and a whole lot of misinformed nonsense?

Yale isn't headed to Division III.

Yale is "non-scholarship"? It has more athletes competing on financial aid than Stanford.

Building a good athletic program at Yale is a challenge? With that endowment? The Yale global brand? And, failing that, the Yale Bowl? It's most decidedly less of a challenge that building a good program at, well, anywhere else. (Georgetown. Multi-sport field.)

"The fact that Yale athletes are accomplishing the Herculean task of overcoming their comparative disadvantage while maintaining high standards academically is evidence enough of their efforts?" Excuse me while I puke in a corner. Herculean? Really? This program which fielded a Nebraska transfer QB last year?

Reading this is kind of like Mitt Romney asking me to empathize with him because he has to pay taxes and hire illegal immigrants to take care of his three mansions.

xshhhx Hey Shhh....
You interrupted me while I was busy feeling sorry for Yale

Pard4Life
February 24th, 2012, 01:03 AM
LFN... I read the article after my post... good point. I also had a good chuckle. Remember too, Yale has every DI sport offered in the NCAAs (I think... or at least Harvard does). It was also ludicrous that the piece is worried about a hit to Yale's prestige in the USNW. Nothing but people without perspective worrying about their backyard and what the neighbors are doing. Yale will never be Columbia.

Wildcat80
February 24th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Not sure I agree....other than Yale hired an inexperienced football coach. HYP have big aid dollars....almost like schollies. Let's see what the new coach does.

Sader87
February 24th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Poor Yale...how will they ever, ever get by???? Such a tragedy.

Bogus Megapardus
February 24th, 2012, 03:56 PM
http://rachelcheetah.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/wahhh1.jpg

bonarae
February 24th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Powerful athletic programs do corrupt institutions of higher learning
Coaches get too uppity - pressure is applied throughout the balance of the administration and the compromises begin...
As the monster known as college athletics slowly consumes the America university system (school after school) and corruption drizzles into every corner of the infected administrations it's nice to see Yale stand for something other than TV deals and side-stepping the recruiting process

xnonono2x I agree, unfortunately. Yale is trying to put back the trust in the athletics system, as it has been years before.

In my own words...

Oh no. This somewhat makes sense considering that ONLY 5 FBS/BCS schools are truly academic-oriented according to a Northwestern-sponsored panel with two media writers recently (http://storify.com/medillschool/beyond-the-box-score-covering-college-sports-in-20): Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke. (actually the words of Pete Thamel as he spoke in the panel)

But reducing the number of recruited student-athletes in the student body is the WRONG thing to do. Is Yale's president trying to extend admissions standards for regular students into student-athletes as well, forgetting the AI altogether? Seems that he has been trying to do such.

DFW HOYA
February 24th, 2012, 06:54 PM
In my own words...This somewhat makes sense considering that ONLY 5 FBS/BCS schools are truly academic-oriented according to a Northwestern-sponsored panel with two media writers recently: Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke. (actually the words of Pete Thamel as he spoke in the panel)

Within the BCS, Wake Forest and the Academies are right there as well. Wake doesn't get the Vitale-worship, but it's not far behind that of Vandy or Duke.

Outside the BCS, don't forget Rice.

Ivytalk
February 24th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Yale sure seems to take athletics more seriously than Harvard does. When Joe Restic had a couple of 2-8 years, the alums shrugged it off. True Harvard insouciance!

Cleets
February 24th, 2012, 09:08 PM
If your going to drop French words on AGS
Really I prefer: Nonchalance

Frankly I like it more when you go Greek on us..!!!
But I'll take French if that's all you've got today

ngineer
February 24th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Within the BCS, Wake Forest and the Academies are right there as well. Wake doesn't get the Vitale-worship, but it's not far behind that of Vandy or Duke.

Outside the BCS, don't forget Rice.

Agreed on your additions. There are a few that still try and have the priorities right.

Bogus Megapardus
February 25th, 2012, 02:41 AM
The Laugh-at-the-Rest-of-You League:

Army
Duke
Navy
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Rice
Stanford
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest

Scary thought.

Wildcat80
February 25th, 2012, 04:36 AM
The Laugh-at-the-Rest-of-You League:

Army
Duke
Navy
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Rice
Stanford
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest

Scary thought.

Does Boston College merit admission?

alvinkayak6
February 25th, 2012, 07:57 AM

Boston College isn't a good enough school.

Go...gate
February 27th, 2012, 12:21 AM

I think they might have until they sold their soul to the ACC. I cannot imagine BC competing in that conference without taking a lot more marginal kids.

Ivytalk
February 27th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Yalies will cheer up if Tommy "Don't Call Me Janet" Reno beats Harvard next year.