PDA

View Full Version : Wofford 2012 Schedule

hebmskebm
February 17th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Just in case you SoCon guys missed it. All you need now is Samford and you're set.

http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2012/2/16/FB_0216120656.aspx

2012 Wofford Football Schedule
Sept. 1 at Gardner-Webb
Sept. 8 LINCOLN
Sept. 15 WESTERN CAROLINA *
Sept. 22 OPEN
Sept. 29 at Elon *
Oct. 6 FURMAN *
Oct. 13 at Georgia Southern *
Oct. 20 at Appalachian State *
Oct. 27 THE CITADEL * (Homecoming)
Nov. 3 at Samford *
Nov. 10 CHATTANOOGA *
Nov. 17 at South Carolina

PaladinFan
February 17th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Every year it seems Wofford has a strange NAIA or DII school on the schedule. I know Ayers had a connection with one of the schools (Georgetown KY, I think), but why not schedule an FCS out of conference game? I realize sometimes you are just left holding the bag, but Wofford seems to do this every year.

Horseshoe App
February 17th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Just in case you SoCon guys missed it. All you need now is Samford and you're set.

http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2012/2/16/FB_0216120656.aspx

2012 Wofford Football Schedule
Sept. 1 at Gardner-Webb
Sept. 8 LINCOLN
Sept. 15 WESTERN CAROLINA *
Sept. 22 OPEN
Sept. 29 at Elon *
Oct. 6 FURMAN *
Oct. 13 at Georgia Southern *
Oct. 20 at Appalachian State *
Oct. 27 THE CITADEL * (Homecoming)
Nov. 3 at Samford *
Nov. 10 CHATTANOOGA *
Nov. 17 at South Carolina
I thought Lincoln was a mutual fund:}

kdinva
February 17th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Every year it seems Wofford has a strange NAIA or DII school on the schedule......

That plus a 1-A game each year puts pressure on them to go at least 6-2 in the SoCon, and to win their ONE 1-AA OOC game (Gar-webb this year), to get to 7 (D-1) wins.

The Eagle's Cliff
February 17th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Should be 4-0 when three tough weeks vs Furman, @ Ga Southern, and @App St hit consecutively and would be a tough test for any team.

At least Western and Chattanooga make good easy-win bookends for the conference schedulexsmiley_wix

SU DOG
February 17th, 2012, 08:51 PM
This is not official, but I think it is accurate:

2012 SAMFORD FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Sept 1 Furman
Sept 8 West Alabama(possibly Sept 6)
Sept 15 @Gardner Webb
Sept 22 @WCU
Sept 29 @GSU
Oct 6 Citadel
Oct 13 App State
Oct 20 @UTC
Oct 27 BYE
Nov 3 Wofford
Nov 10 @Elon
Nov 17 @Kentucky

BTW, sure I'm biased, but Samford will be a VERY good team this season.

GATA_Eagles
February 17th, 2012, 09:11 PM

I have a feeling most of the SoCon will be highly competitive this year

Twentysix
February 17th, 2012, 11:55 PM

Better charge your playstation controller for those 49 to 50 games. ;)

eaglewraith
February 18th, 2012, 09:35 AM

Switching offensive philosophies again after switching the previous year?

I wouldn't be so sure about being very good. Should be a good defense...remains to be seen what the offense will do.

Twentysix
February 18th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Switching offensive philosophies again after switching the previous year?

I wouldn't be so sure about being very good. Should be a good defense...remains to be seen what the offense will do.

Shouldn't matter, we had a crappy offense and won a NC. If Samford has a lockdown D they are golden.

GaSouthern
February 20th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Shouldn't matter, we had a crappy offense and won a NC. If Samford has a lockdown D they are golden.

They would but they don't

SU DOG
February 20th, 2012, 06:37 PM
The offense will NOT be any different. Terminology and plays will all be the same as Asst Coach Travis Trickett will be calling the plays. Don't want to sound like a certain fan of our traveling partner, but IMO, this will be by far the best Samford Team that has competed in the SoCon.

Saint3333
February 20th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Those are some terrible schedules, a D2 game and @ G-Webb.

Bogus Megapardus
February 20th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Play more Patriot League schools, please. We need the exposure and you need the wins.

eaglewraith
February 20th, 2012, 10:03 PM
The offense will NOT be any different. Terminology and plays will all be the same as Asst Coach Travis Trickett will be calling the plays. Don't want to sound like a certain fan of our traveling partner, but IMO, this will be by far the best Samford Team that has competed in the SoCon.

Haha oh good.

This should be fun.

NJLincolnLion
June 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
As a Lincoln alum, I'm looking forward to the trip south, the paycheck, and to get out healthy. We have a few players for South Carolina, and hopefully the trip will help to expand our recruiting territory.

elcid83
June 3rd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Here's hoping Wofford loses their first game.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

NJLincolnLion
September 5th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I thought Lincoln was a mutual fund:}

That would be Lincoln University PA Lions, not to be confused with Lincoln U MO Blue Tigers

Reign of Terrier
September 5th, 2012, 04:04 PM
We should win. I don't care by how much. Just no injuries (on either side)

Hopefully we'll see some young talent early.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Play more Patriot League schools, please. We need the exposure and you need the wins.

Lehigh's 2-0 against Wofford...

crabby terrier
September 5th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Every year it seems Wofford has a strange NAIA or DII school on the schedule. I know Ayers had a connection with one of the schools (Georgetown KY, I think), but why not schedule an FCS out of conference game? I realize sometimes you are just left holding the bag, but Wofford seems to do this every year.

this explanation is taken from an article from yesterday's paper:

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20120903/ARTICLES/120909945/1090/sports02?Title=Lincoln-comes-to-Wofford-as-a-willing-opponent

“The tough ones to find are the home games,” Ayers said. “There are a lot of people who will play you at their place. There are a lot of people who won't play you even if you pay them to come to your place. There's a small pool.”

Ayers said some schools initially agree to a game and then back out. He wondered if sometimes the change of mind happens after some investigation about a team that has made the FCS playoffs four times in the past five years.

“We've had that happen multiple times,” Ayers said. “We've had them say they are on the way. Then two days later, well, they can't get a bus.”

Scheduling is left to Mark Line, the associate athletic director for sports programs. Line comes up with a short list of potential dance partners.

“Sometimes that's a list of one,” Ayers said. “You're like, ‘What are my options?' You've got this one and then you flip the page and it's blank. Then you flip it back over and take that one. … There are a lot of variables that go into this thing. Believe me, that's probably one of the hardest jobs that Mark Line has.”

Ayers said he understands that fans might rather see a game against another FCS opponent. But it's just not that easy.

“People say, ‘Why don't you play Harvard?' ” Ayers said. “Harvard doesn't want to play us. ‘Why don't you play Montana?' Well, what do you want us to do? A home-and-home? OK, when we go out there, it's going to cost us about $100,000. What do we get in return? ‘They'd come here. Gosh, that's great.' No, it's not. They're going to come here, but how many people are they going to bring? How many fans would fly in for that game?”

terrierbob
September 5th, 2012, 05:45 PM
As a Lincoln alum, I'm looking forward to the trip south, the paycheck, and to get out healthy. We have a few players for South Carolina, and hopefully the trip will help to expand our recruiting territory.

I checked up on your school, NJLL, and am quite impressed. Keeping your light under a basket, sort of? Alums include Langston Hughes, Justice Thurgood Marshall, Cab Callaway, and Dr. Bond, Julian Bond's Dad. I'm a bit of an Art History buff, and the fact that Lincoln has 4 mandated trustees on the Barnes Foundation is cool, too. And I am not surprised there is a SC connection, as one of your alums founded SC State. Anyway, with all that being said, I hope it will be a good game. And I hope you lose. :)

CID1990
September 5th, 2012, 06:16 PM

Yep, and once again we all beat the crap out of each other and only land two teams in the playoffs. Those two teams will go at least two rounds.