PDA

View Full Version : UCA Working to Speed Up Div I Status

TexasTerror
June 6th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Very interesting. UCA is trying to speed up the process to get themselves eligible for NCAA postseason events and conference championships. Best of luck to UCA. I got no problem if they can speed up the process! :nod:
---------
And league officials helped give the UCA president a glimmer of hope for the future. There is an outside chance that UCA could be gain full-fledged status in NCAA I in four years instead of the five that NCAA rules specify (UCA's clock began with the 2005 athletic season). That means that UCA teams could be eligible for conference and NCAA postseason events by the 2008-2009 seasons rather than 2009-2010. That would mean that athletes recruited this year could play for conference championshps and participate in NCAA tournament events by their senior years.

At this point, it's still a longshot. Hardin doesn't believe it is feasible to formally ask for an exemption to the rule.

He thinks UCA officials are going to have go through the front door, selling the NCAA on the idea that the Bears will be ready for every challenge NCAA offers by 2008 and hope the NCAA officials go ahead and offer full membership.

"We are going to have to develop a definitive plan to offer the NCAA, which must include major financial commitment, conference support and proof that we will be competitive by 2008-09," Hardin said.

SLC officials have already offered their full support for early eligibility, a major first step.

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/060606/spo_0606060030.shtml

slycat
June 6th, 2006, 11:20 PM
id like that. mix things up in the SLC faster. UCA is a great addition and i think they will be be very competitive by then.

Tod
June 7th, 2006, 12:09 AM
If there's any way to speed it up it should be in the rules. I know a few western schools that will be pissed if this works out.