PDA

View Full Version : UALBANY 3:30 PM Presser- Multi-Sports Complex Announcement

Dane96
February 15th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Presser at 3:30, hopefully where the final Phase 1 design will be shown for the first time.

Bids are due back on the 21st of February...so I am sure this will just solidify a few details.

What we know:

1. Construstion will begin in April

2. They have notified the Giants of the Construction, and that it will not effect the Super Bowl Champs Training Camp

3. They hope to finish construction for the last game of the 2012 season. Personally, I wish they'd wait and make it a big deal for opening day 2013.

4. Details that have been reported with the variences in the reporting
-6,500 - 7,500 capacity Phase 1 up to 25,000 capacity in future build-outs
-Pressbox w/ VIP Suites (we have heard 6)
-Approx 2,500 seats will be temporary on the visitors side
-Aprox 4500- 5000 seats on the home side will be permanent and will include concrete casted lower bowl and steel bleacher upper deck
-Concessions and Bathrooms
-Lockerrooms will remain in the gym building (short work). They were recently
renovated to the tune of a $500,0000. They will remain there until one of the
final phases of construction.
- Grass Berm will provide additional seating (approx 2,500)
-Naming rights up for bid shortly
-Cost= $14.2 million - 20 million, with only a quarter of that coming from
the state
-New Student Rec Field with Field Turf and Lights. Cost $1 million
-Refurbishment of the Track and Field / Football stadium to create a track only
stadium for one of the best Track squads on the Eastern Seaboard.
Cost $4mm

Total Project cost = $18 - 24 million

Fingers crossed....

M Ruler
February 15th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Stadium done (I wont be satisfied until its enclosed) and now we need to move out of the NEC or have the NEC up the Scholly limit to 57.

Maybe we should of went with Stony Brook to the Big South when we were invited a few years ago. While I believe SBU and Albany are still very close in terms of athletes on the field they are clearly ahead of UA in terms of money games with FBS teams.

Bill
February 15th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Dane

I haven't been up to Albany in forever. What does average attendance look like? 25K in future build outs is rather impressive. Is this for other events (concerts, commencement, etc.)? Thanks!

MplsBison
February 15th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Stadium done (I wont be satisfied until its enclosed) and now we need to move out of the NEC or have the NEC up the Scholly limit to 57.

Maybe we should of went with Stony Brook to the Big South when we were invited a few years ago. While I believe SBU and Albany are still very close in terms of athletes on the field they are clearly ahead of UA in terms of money games with FBS teams.

Also, SB is a AAU, national research university - while Albany is not.

Dane96
February 15th, 2012, 08:22 AM
If done right, and I have ZERO faith in the ADept, yes...it is being done for lot's of things.

1. High School Events, both sporting and commencement
2. Likely the return of the Empire State Games
3. Likely the retun of the Special Olympics
4. Concerts-- heck, the payout for a mid-level concert at 15,000 seats with a $50 check for ticket, parking and vendor services per person, minus the pay for costs and entertainment is likely in the near 250-300k per event. You do 10 of those a year...and you see where I am going with this. Aside from Saratoga Springs (SPAC), there is no venue like this for 2 1/2 hours in any direction.
5. NCAA Lax Tourney

Our average attendance is a skewed number. Anyone going to a Albany game knows about the direction of the field and the effect it has on fan experience (Sun, cold, wind).

With the right conference...we could easily fill 15,000 fans in about 3-4 years, especially since most HS games are on Thurs and Friday.

Right now, the 7,500 seats is the perfect figure. I would suspect that would be near sold-out on a regular basis.

Dane96
February 15th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Yeah...what's a day without a MplsBison hijack...DICKHEAD.

For the purposes of this discussion, and funding sources, the AAU concept has nothing to do with athletics. Further, it would not stop Albany from joining any of the conferences it considers to join or would be considered by.

Nobody cares what you think...and frankly, if you knew half-of what you think you would know you would be in the loop that the UAA has been on campus NUMEROUS times this year and working through the process of moving UA forward in that camp: SEE NANOTECH.

Now go kill a puppy.

M Ruler
February 15th, 2012, 08:51 AM

I could care less about UA's status as a research university. Lets not confuse the SUNY system with Michigan, U. Florida, or any of the California schools.

I am strictly looking at this from a football point of view. 57 rides = games against Syracuse, Army, and Buffalo

danefan
February 15th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Press conference will be streamed live

http://www.ualbanysports.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?DB_LANG=C&db_oem_id=15800

Bogus Megapardus
February 15th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Saratoga Springs (SPAC)

I saw some of my favorite concerts ever there as a teenager. Great place.

Dane96
February 15th, 2012, 02:32 PM
And the look of the new stadium, PHASE I

http://p.twimg.com/AluJzMeCEAISzkS.jpg:large

Dane96
February 15th, 2012, 02:35 PM
WOW...24 million dollar project.

The high end of what we wanted. 6 million in private...fundraising starts today. My guess, is this will allow them to take out loans on the 6mm. Most will come from corporate sponsorship.

$1 million dollar challenge fund. The donor will match $ 1 for $ 1 coming in the year. The donor is anonymous.

UALBANY FOUNDATION (separate arm of UA) is running the $6 million fundraising campaign. (BOUT F'N time the big boys take over).

Big congrats to our top Coaches Bob Ford and Roberto Vives (T&F) for their long overdue stadiums.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 15th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Very cool Great Danes! A great start to keep things moving forward for many years to come.

Dane96
February 15th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Mayor of Albany pointing out that this is a piece in giving local kids the "college experience". It is important to the area!

Dane96
February 15th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Courtesy of Danefan's find on the UA site...new pics: Looks great, especially the distance shot with the T&F facility!

http://www.albany.edu/facilities/fp/athleticfields.html

dgreco
February 15th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Looks great, congrats to UAlbany alums and fans!

Go...gate
February 15th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Presser at 3:30, hopefully where the final Phase 1 design will be shown for the first time.

Bids are due back on the 21st of February...so I am sure this will just solidify a few details.

What we know:

1. Construstion will begin in April

2. They have notified the Giants of the Construction, and that it will not effect the Super Bowl Champs Training Camp

3. They hope to finish construction for the last game of the 2012 season. Personally, I wish they'd wait and make it a big deal for opening day 2013.

4. Details that have been reported with the variences in the reporting
-6,500 - 7,500 capacity Phase 1 up to 25,000 capacity in future build-outs
-Pressbox w/ VIP Suites (we have heard 6)
-Approx 2,500 seats will be temporary on the visitors side
-Aprox 4500- 5000 seats on the home side will be permanent and will include concrete casted lower bowl and steel bleacher upper deck
-Concessions and Bathrooms
-Lockerrooms will remain in the gym building (short work). They were recently
renovated to the tune of a $500,0000. They will remain there until one of the
final phases of construction.
- Grass Berm will provide additional seating (approx 2,500)
-Naming rights up for bid shortly
-Cost= $14.2 million - 20 million, with only a quarter of that coming from
the state
-New Student Rec Field with Field Turf and Lights. Cost $1 million
-Refurbishment of the Track and Field / Football stadium to create a track only
stadium for one of the best Track squads on the Eastern Seaboard.
Cost $4mm

Total Project cost = $18 - 24 million

Fingers crossed....

That ballpark sounds great!

UA is a damn good school academically, right? How about joining the Patriot League?

UAalum72
February 15th, 2012, 03:35 PM
That ballpark sounds great!

UA is a damn good school academically, right? How about joining the Patriot League?I think the PL turned Albany down when we first moved to D-I

Dane96
February 15th, 2012, 03:37 PM
You F$%&$*ers already rejected SBU and Albany 13 year ago.

Now you want us ;) Like a scorned lover.

Seriously though, if it were to pass, I don't think any of us would be less than giddy to join a 60 scholarship PL Football conference. It has always made too much sense, which is why it never happened.

Now before the AI people come out, UALBANY Athletes perform at a MUCH higher rate than the regular student body. Much higher....

Dane96
February 15th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I think the PL turned Albany down when we first moved to D-I

Fact; Back then it was a merit-aid issue (in essence, Albany could get more kids in on full pure financial $$$ aid than the more expensive PL teams. We were told that this would be an advantage for UA and SBU.

BucBisonAtLarge
February 15th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Congratulations, Danes! This is overdue and it's gonna be a big asset to the region and, honestly, the whole state. How you regard your capital and its resident state institutions does matter. I have always left Albany thinking that, even with the spaceship-landing site at the middle of town (the state buildings), that it did not look or feel much like the capital of "The Empire State". Rome wasn't built in a day (and now it is 30 miles to the west near Utica...). I guess the end of next season is a fine milestone.

MplsBison
February 15th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Courtesy of Danefan's find on the UA site...new pics: Looks great, especially the distance shot with the T&F facility!

http://www.albany.edu/facilities/fp/athleticfields.html

That elevator tower is so stupid. I wish the architect would right click->delete that damn thing. Ugh. Suit yourself. Rest of it looks fine.

MplsBison
February 15th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Yeah...what's a day without a MplsBison hijack...DICKHEAD.

For the purposes of this discussion, and funding sources, the AAU concept has nothing to do with athletics. Further, it would not stop Albany from joining any of the conferences it considers to join or would be considered by.

Nobody cares what you think...and frankly, if you knew half-of what you think you would know you would be in the loop that the UAA has been on campus NUMEROUS times this year and working through the process of moving UA forward in that camp: SEE NANOTECH.

Now go kill a puppy.

Buffalo and Stony Brook are AAU universities. The top two. Albany and Bighampton are not. The bottom two.

DFW HOYA
February 15th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Buffalo and Stony Brook are AAU universities. The top two. Albany and Bighampton are not. The bottom two.

The AAU isn't what it used to be. Syracuse and Nebraska were dropped.

UNH Fanboi
February 15th, 2012, 07:54 PM
A fitting stadium for the CAA North!

jmufan999
February 15th, 2012, 08:05 PM

Absolutely. They'd fit in quite well.

Good luck with the project, Albany. Looks great.

Steve81
February 15th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Congrats with the stadium expansions and definitely should be in the CAA, perhaps all sports.

UAalum72
February 15th, 2012, 08:45 PM

Except that Albany's NanoCollege alone spent $228 million on research during fiscal 2011, which ended June 30. As a comparison, Stony Brook spent $184 million and the University of Buffalo spent $151 million in 2011, according to The Research Foundation, SUNY's research arm. http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/School-tops-in-money-race-2227078.php

danefan
February 15th, 2012, 09:05 PM
That elevator tower is so stupid. I wish the architect would right click->delete that damn thing. Ugh. Suit yourself. Rest of it looks fine.

It will look a lot better when it connects to the second level of suites that comes Phase III.

danefan
February 15th, 2012, 09:08 PM

Each school has its own merits.

Albany is the only one that is attracting attention globally for having the best program in the world in a high tech and high dollar industry.

AAU is only a matter of time at this point.

Bogus Megapardus
February 15th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I like the stadium design a lot, and UAlbany really deserves it. I know the area pretty well and I think the design fits well with local architecture. I can't really figure out what's going on with the visitor's side, but I guess it doesn't matter - maybe some "temporary" bleachers until there's sufficient demand to expand further. I have to make the comparison becasue I know it's a sore point, but we at Lafayette played at Stony Brook last season and they've got some nice digs. I trust you'll be able to equal that.

Question - how close to the sideline is the first row of seats?

MplsBison
February 15th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Except that Albany's NanoCollege alone spent $228 million on research during fiscal 2011, which ended June 30. As a comparison, Stony Brook spent $184 million and the University of Buffalo spent $151 million in 2011, according to The Research Foundation, SUNY's research arm. http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/School-tops-in-money-race-2227078.php

Thanks for the link. It mentions UA is a distant 3rd with $109 million.

MplsBison
February 15th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Each school has its own merits.

Albany is the only one that is attracting attention globally for having the best program in the world in a high tech and high dollar industry.

AAU is only a matter of time at this point.

Best in the world? Right...I guess someone better tell MIT about that college in Albany, NY that is 3rd ranked in their own university system.

Dane96
February 15th, 2012, 10:21 PM

So stupid to build an elevator tower for the future phase that will include more facilities on top of the current suites. I mean really dumb planning.....

Dane96
February 15th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Best in the world? Right...I guess someone better tell MIT about that college in Albany, NY that is 3rd ranked in their own university system.

You are truly a dope.

IT IS THE NUMBER 1 NANOTECH CENTER IN THE WORLD AT THE COLLEGE AND GRADUATE LEVEL. MIT works with them. This isn't new news.

And no...UA spent 109 million PLUS the Nanotech's 280 million.

Why do we bother.

frozennorth
February 15th, 2012, 10:52 PM

MIT's best program is it's business school. It's science and engineering schools aren't as elite as it's reputation.

danefan
February 16th, 2012, 07:50 AM

Do a little research and come back to us.

danefan
February 16th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I like the stadium design a lot, and UAlbany really deserves it. I know the area pretty well and I think the design fits well with local architecture. I can't really figure out what's going on with the visitor's side, but I guess it doesn't matter - maybe some "temporary" bleachers until there's sufficient demand to expand further. I have to make the comparison becasue I know it's a sore point, but we at Lafayette played at Stony Brook last season and they've got some nice digs. I trust you'll be able to equal that.

Question - how close to the sideline is the first row of seats?

The visitors side will be 2000 temp seats for now. This is a better view of the visitors side.

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/11/44/05/2507098/3/628x471.jpg

Not sure how close the stands will be but the field has to be big enough for soccer lines. I would imagine the average distance very similar to Stony Brook's.

M Ruler
February 16th, 2012, 08:35 AM

From your mouth to God's and Lee McElroy's ears.

We gotta get out of the NEC or have them up the scholly limit. I think we would jump at the chance for the Patriot if invited although we would be a better fit for CAA North

On a side note, I respect the Patriot League institutions for their academics and athletic excellence and would love to be a member( I doubt it happens). Besides the scholarship increase what would the real advantage be? I am not cracking wise just curious as an uninformed PL scholar.

TheRevSFA
February 16th, 2012, 08:44 AM
so is this stadium going to be alligned differently..you know..to lessen the effect of snow, wind..etc?

Dane96
February 16th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Yep....it will be facing North/South rather than the current E / W alignment.

henfan
February 16th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Looks like a nice little facility and should position UA well in the NEC. Cheers for getting it done, especially in these tough economic times.xthumbsupx

Dane96
February 16th, 2012, 09:02 AM
See henfan woke up on his usual, "Delaware is g-d, CAA is mighty" side of the bed today.

Nice backhanded compliment.

Bogus Megapardus
February 16th, 2012, 09:06 AM
"Delaware is g-d, CAA is mighty"

There is some substance to back that up, you know . . . .

danefan
February 16th, 2012, 09:07 AM
so is this stadium going to be alligned differently..you know..to lessen the effect of snow, wind..etc?

Yep....it will be facing North/South rather than the current E / W alignment.

The sunken bowl and high press box/suites should also help with the wind.

Pard4Life
February 16th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Wow! Very nice place Danes... I like the space and the layout, plus the double-deck. I'm sure this was built with lacrosse in mind. I hope the Pards get to schedule a game there soon.

danefan
February 16th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Wow! Very nice place Danes... I like the space and the layout, plus the double-deck. I'm sure this was built with lacrosse in mind. I hope the Pards get to schedule a game there soon.

I'm sure we'll use it for the bigger lax games. Lax does have a dedicated 2,500 seat field though.

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/ZU/ZUYAMDJGMCJNBYF.20111017212542.jpg

oceandogs
February 16th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Congratulations on the new digs. Hopefully Stony Brook and Albany will land in the same football conference soon.

oceandogs
February 16th, 2012, 10:51 AM

Stony Brook's relationship with Brookhaven National Lab doesn't seem all that unlike Albany's with NanoCollege, and if you were to count all the research expenditures at BNL, Stony Brook's figures would be significantly higher than reported, somewhere around 500-700 million.

danefan
February 16th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Stony Brook's relationship with Brookhaven National Lab doesn't seem all that unlike Albany's with NanoCollege, and if you were to count all the research expenditures at BNL, Stony Brook's figures would be significantly higher than reported, somewhere around 500-700 million.

Isn't Brookhaven a Federal Government research facility? I think its managed by a group that SBU is a part of, but its not a department or school of SBU is it? Does it grant degrees?

Nanotech is the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering at the University at Albany. It grants full undergraduate, graduate and post-grad degrees:

B.S. in Nanoscale Science
B.S. in Nanoscale Engineering
M.S. in Nanoscale Science
M.S. in Nanoscale Engineering
Masters of Science/Masters of Business Administration (M.S./MBA) ("Nano+MBA")
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Nanoscale Science
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Nanoscale Engineering
M.D./Ph.D. in Medicine and Nanoscale Science or Engineering

And I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here of SBU vs. Albany. We've had those discussions ad nauseum over the years. Both schools offer great opportunities for students. SBU has more professional schools than Albany and gets a larger portion of SUNY funding (we all know how small that is anyway) than Albany because of it.

Albany is on its way to AAU membership and we also all know that is primarily driven by Nano.

oceandogs
February 16th, 2012, 12:00 PM
And Stony Brook almost certainly wouldn't be in the AAU if not for BNL. I just think research expenditure data regarding Stony Brook is seriously misleading considering the relationship and collaboration between SBU and BNL.

danefan
February 16th, 2012, 12:06 PM
And Stony Brook almost certainly wouldn't be in the AAU if not for BNL. I just think research expenditure data regarding Stony Brook is seriously misleading considering the relationship and collaboration between SBU and BNL.

I don't know SBU's history with AAU so I can't argue that point.

There has to be a way to turn this into a team effort against the Ohio State University at Buffalo?

henfan
February 16th, 2012, 01:15 PM
See henfan woke up on his usual, "Delaware is g-d, CAA is mighty" side of the bed today.

Nice backhanded compliment.

Huh? Sorry you see it that way.

I thought I was offering a pretty straightforward congrats with zero mention of or connotation towards UD or CAA FB... until now. xconfusedx

I'm a fan of what UA has done with their FB program and hope they continue to do well in the NEC. Sheesh.
xpeacex

M Ruler
February 16th, 2012, 02:18 PM

I thought I was offering a pretty straightforward congrats with zero mention of or connotation towards UD or CAA FB... until now. xconfusedx

I'm a fan of what UA has done with their FB program and hope they continue to do well in the NEC. Sheesh.
xpeacex

I didn't take it as a back handed compliment. Our new facility is pretty small by UD standards for sure.

By the same token I think it would hold up very well in the CAA. You think Delaware and Appy State will do a home and home with us now (Just kidding)?

The preference as Oceandog stated is for SBU and Albany to land in the same conference where 57-63 rides are welcomed.

Albany gets very good talent right now. This facility is gonna really bring in the big time players. We will tell them it will be enclosed before they are Sr's and 10 years later it will happen.

I do believe our days in the NEC are numbered. Cmon all you big time FCS programs who run their mouth about going FBS. Make some room for Albany and SBU!!!!

Mountaineer
February 16th, 2012, 02:35 PM
..Appy State will do a home and home with us now (Just kidding)?

I can't speak for Appy, but I imagine App State would entertain the Great Danes at KBS. Wouldn't hold my breath for a return trip however.

Congrats to Albany folks on the facility upgrades. xthumbsupx

Dane96
February 16th, 2012, 05:17 PM

xpeacex

My apologies...I honestly was confused when you said it because you have been a UA supporter.

I was confused because you said, "nice little" and "NEC". It has been clear to all that Albany has been looking at full scholarship football and didn't feel the Big South as the right move. With the push in the PL to full rides, I suspect that it is in full swing to push the NEC to full rides or counter (unlikely) or move on.

The facility is nearly a replica of SBU...but for the berm where we are not building seats yet. Bottom line is that UA is not spending what is probably 5mm or so in infrastructure costs to build in utilities and wiring for a stadium they dont intend to build out. They wont build out if they stay in the NEC.

So...I took it in a different way than you meant it as I thought you were saying, "oh...how cute...perfect for the NEC".

danefan
February 16th, 2012, 05:22 PM
My apologies...I honestly was confused when you said it because you have been a UA supporter.

I was confused because you said, "nice little" and "NEC". It has been clear to all that Albany has been looking at full scholarship football and didn't feel the Big South as the right move. With the push in the PL to full rides, I suspect that it is in full swing to push the NEC to full rides or counter (unlikely) or move on.

The facility is nearly a replica of SBU...but for the berm where we are not building seats yet. Bottom line is that UA is not spending what is probably 5mm or so in infrastructure costs to build in utilities and wiring for a stadium they dont intend to build out. They wont build out if they stay in the NEC.

So...I took it in a different way than you meant it as I thought you were saying, "oh...how cute...perfect for the NEC".

People are now publicly talking about conference moves.

UAlbany football coach Bob Ford said he could foresee the Great Danes moving into a full-scholarship FCS league such as the Colonial Athletic Association, or even the America East, should that conference decide to sponsor football.

“Yeah, possibly,” he said. “I think the America East, there’s been talk about that conference adding football. I’m not sure if it’ll happen or when it’ll happen. But I think that’s where this institution belongs, with the (full-scholarship) Delawares and the UMasses, and the New Hampshires and the Maines. That’s where we belong.”

http://blog.timesunion.com/sports/ualbany-football-facility-could-lead-to-bigger-things/175/#more-175

Dane96
February 16th, 2012, 06:43 PM
WOW!

Coach don't play games.

Point: He doesn't generally (if ever?!?) speak out of his *** or just to "speak". I would think that the AE schools must be feeling some pressure from the AE football schools.

Though I think he meant "old" UMASS.

Either way, Albany won't be at the non-counter level for long; I'd be shocked.

Steve81
February 16th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Yup we played you guys a number of times.

Bogus Megapardus
February 16th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I would think that the AE schools must be feeling some pressure from the AE football schools.

PL might have come-a-poachin'

maristdb89
February 16th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Congrats!!!! Looks great.

MplsBison
February 16th, 2012, 08:05 PM

Albany was a teacher's college. It has a 24 million dollar endowment.

It's the same thing as Illinois St. A normal school historically.

What a friggin joke that these Albany alumni crow at the top of their lungs about a government project to invest billions of dollars...that's billions with a B...along with many top private technology companies into a manufacturing and research campus --- as if it was the UofA's project!!! As if it was UofA's investment that makes it what it is today!!

Sick joke.

There is absolutely nothing to do with UofA as an institution that has anything to do with the fact that the facility is where it is.

It could just have well been at Binghampton. Or Buffalo. Or any SUNY or CUNY site in the friggin state.

Why it wasn't at Cornell...the state's flagship university and obvious choice for where it would belong as a research campus...probably someone paid someone off in the state government. That's probably the only reason it's in Albany.

At least I learned something about it.

Dane96
February 16th, 2012, 08:29 PM
LOL.

Do you realize how big of a schmuck you are? Honestly?

danefan
February 16th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Albany was a teacher's college. It has a 24 million dollar endowment.

It's the same thing as Illinois St. A normal school historically.

What a friggin joke that these Albany alumni crow at the top of their lungs about a government project to invest billions of dollars...that's billions with a B...along with many top private technology companies into a manufacturing and research campus --- as if it was the UofA's project!!! As if it was UofA's investment that makes it what it is today!!

Sick joke.

There is absolutely nothing to do with UofA as an institution that has anything to do with the fact that the facility is where it is.

It could just have well been at Binghampton. Or Buffalo. Or any SUNY or CUNY site in the friggin state.

Why it wasn't at Cornell...the state's flagship university and obvious choice for where it would belong as a research campus...probably someone paid someone off in the state government. That's probably the only reason it's in Albany.

At least I learned something about it.

You're a dumbass.

henfan
February 16th, 2012, 10:07 PM
With the push in the PL to full rides, I suspect that it is in full swing to push the NEC to full rides or counter (unlikely) or move on.

If it doesn't push the NEC, it should, especially with the PL recent announcement that they could be going after football affiliates.

Go...gate
February 17th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Congrats!!!! Looks great.

Any news from Marist? You guys still sticking with the Pioneer for football?

maristdb89
February 17th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Any news from Marist? You guys still sticking with the Pioneer for football?

Staying with PFL. Turns out cost of travel is actually quite managable; per the staff it helps in recruiting "have you been to San Diego?"; Auto/Bid looks real 2013; so PFL fits us well.

Separately, congrats on Schollies; I know that was important to Colgate. Beat Cuse!!!!

MplsBison
February 17th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Staying with PFL. Turns out cost of travel is actually quite managable; per the staff it helps in recruiting "have you been to San Diego?"; Auto/Bid looks real 2013; so PFL fits us well.

Separately, congrats on Schollies; I know that was important to Colgate. Beat Cuse!!!!

"Have you been to San Diego?"

"Because I tell you what...if you give your heart, soul, blood, sweat, tears and give up the best 4 years of your life to Marist university...here is what you can expect in return."

"You will not receive any help to pay the costs of attending Marist from the university itself. Frankly...we can't afford it, that's why we play in the Pioneer league - we want to claim that we have a varsity football program without having to pay for one. But good luck on getting aid from the federal government or a private scholarship."

"Then, every two years, we'll fly out to San Diego on a Friday afternoon, bus to the hotel, stay in the hotel the rest of the day, then bus to the stadium, play a game and get right back on the plane back to Marist."

"Pretty sweet huh!? Whaddya say???"

That's how I imagine the rest of the conversation going. xcoffeex

Bill
February 17th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Bison, your opinion about non-scholarship football is obvious... Do you completely dismiss the entire idea of Division III athletics, or do you not like the hypocrisy of scholarship in some sports, but not football? Just curious...

maristdb89
February 17th, 2012, 04:32 PM
"Have you been to San Diego?"

"Because I tell you what...if you give your heart, soul, blood, sweat, tears and give up the best 4 years of your life to Marist university...here is what you can expect in return."

"You will not receive any help to pay the costs of attending Marist from the university itself. Frankly...we can't afford it, that's why we play in the Pioneer league - we want to claim that we have a varsity football program without having to pay for one. But good luck on getting aid from the federal government or a private scholarship."

"Then, every two years, we'll fly out to San Diego on a Friday afternoon, bus to the hotel, stay in the hotel the rest of the day, then bus to the stadium, play a game and get right back on the plane back to Marist."

"Pretty sweet huh!? Whaddya say???"

That's how I imagine the rest of the conversation going. xcoffeex

MB you're a d***. No reply necessary.

MplsBison
February 18th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Bison, your opinion about non-scholarship football is obvious... Do you completely dismiss the entire idea of Division III athletics, or do you not like the hypocrisy of scholarship in some sports, but not football? Just curious...

No no no...you got me wrong. I love non-scholarship football - as long as they don't take themselves too seriously.

But I love it for DIII.

If a school decides it wants to have a division I athletic department - ie, they want a piece of the MBB tournament pie - then they shouldn't be allowed to have DI football just because they decided it would be really fun to have a football team!

^ that's every Pioneer League school.

Division one is, and should be, for something more than just participation.

frozennorth
February 18th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Why it wasn't at Cornell...the state's flagship university and obvious choice for where it would belong as a research campus.
that word doesn't mean what you think it does.

MplsBison
February 19th, 2012, 07:31 PM
that word doesn't mean what you think it does.

What word - "flagship"? Maybe...but I know for darn sure that a teacher's college with a 24 million dollar endowment is certainly no flagship of the SUNY system.

danefan
February 19th, 2012, 07:37 PM
What word - "flagship"? Maybe...but I know for darn sure that a teacher's college with a 24 million dollar endowment is certainly no flagship of the SUNY system.

You're a dumbass.

401ks
February 20th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Jeez...

I have just one person on "IGNORE" on this board, yet I still end up having to read his keyboard manure because people keep replying to him and quoting him in their replies, which gives him the attention he so desperately craves and an added soapbox for his tinfoil-hat rants!

xnonono2x

UAalum72
February 20th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Jeez...

I have just one person on "IGNORE" on this board, yet I still end up having to read his keyboard manure because people keep replying to him and quoting him in their replies, which gives him the attention he so desperately craves and an added soapbox for his tinfoil-hat rants!

xnonono2xYeah, I tried to put him on ignore, but instead being the idiot you scream at for cutting you off, he becomes the vegetable truck rolled over on the shoulder - you have to stare at him as you try to avoid the garbage.

MplsBison
February 20th, 2012, 12:55 PM
You're a dumbass.

http://www.albany.edu/about_history.php

In 1844, a "normal school" was founded in Albany to train teachers for a rapidly growing population. For nearly 50 years, the Normal School provided a two-year education to students from across the state.

http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/research/2009_NCSE_Public_Tables_Endowment_Market_Values.pd f

654 University at Albany Foundation NY 24,764 26,782 -7.5

danefan
February 20th, 2012, 01:13 PM

And your point? NDSU started as a farmer school. Who cares?

Albany is no longer a Teacher's College. You can't even get an undergrad teaching degree. It's the global epicenter for cutting edge technology.

And you're still a dumbass.

And now I'm done.

MplsBison
February 21st, 2012, 12:44 PM
And your point? NDSU started as a farmer school. Who cares?

Albany is no longer a Teacher's College. You can't even get an undergrad teaching degree. It's the global epicenter for cutting edge technology.

And you're still a dumbass.

And now I'm done.

The point is that Albany has a 24 million dollar endowment. That puts the profile of the school very much in line with St. Cloud State University in St Cloud, Minn -- also a former teacher's college with a similar enrollment size. Even though it's DII, it has a better football stadium that Albany does now and probably as good of a football team.

The analogy is someone who lives in a 1000sqft home making $40k a year. Suddenly the government builds a mansion on the property adjacent to the small home, because - who knows why - but obviously nothing to do with that person or their small home. Yet he tries to pass it off like it was his idea and investment that built the thing and now he should be hanging out at the country club with the real millionaires! The guy is still making $40k a year and living in a 1000sqft house.

Accept it, embrace it - get over it.

danefan
February 21st, 2012, 02:34 PM
Bids due back today.

Naming rights for the field and stadium being announced soon as well. Our basketball arena brought in $2.5m so I'm hopeful the stadium will get something close to that. Although those were different economic times.

Go...gate
February 21st, 2012, 05:14 PM
Any chance they will name the field after your fine Head Coach? He is someone in whom Albany can take a lot of pride.

WWII
February 21st, 2012, 05:37 PM
When the dust has settled and the checks are cashed, I am sure it will be Ford Field at ?? "stadium".

danefan
February 21st, 2012, 09:02 PM
Any chance they will name the field after your fine Head Coach? He is someone in whom Albany can take a lot of pride.

I sure hope so, but $$$$ is king right now.

frozennorth
February 21st, 2012, 10:48 PM

from your own link
The College joined the system as one of four University Centers, and became a broad-based public research institution.

that's new york's term for it's four flagships, albany, stony brook, binghampton, and buffalo.

danefan
February 22nd, 2012, 06:09 AM
Field specs and design

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2019/uaturf.png

The purple strip is a ramp down the grass berm that the players will use to run onto the field. The lockerrooms are staying in the next building over for now.

I like it. Simple and classy.

maristdb89
February 22nd, 2012, 08:46 AM
I agree, simple/classy, very nice.

FYI - Good pickup on the Good Counsel (MD) recruit. He will definitely contribute.

Dane96
April 2nd, 2012, 04:57 PM
AND SO IT BEGINS!!!!!

CREDIT OF POST TO SARGE:

Text of project work alert notification sent from facilities management today.
the beginning of the beginning is upon us

http://www.albany.edu/facilities/alerts/uptown_AthleticFieldsRepair01-map.pdf

P R O J E C T W O R K A L E R T N O T I F I C A T I O N

April 2, 2012

UPTOWN CAMPUS

Athletic Fields Repairs & Improvements – alert 01

Project Start – Construction Staging Areas

Project / Work Order #: 01A70 / 12-19588

ESTIMATED START: 4/4/2012 12:00 AM
ESTIMATED END: 9/30/2013 5:00 PM

Project Description / Scope:

The Athletic Field Repairs and Improvements project begins with work on two of the three project
venues – Recreation Field (adjacent to tennis courts) and the Multi-Purpose Stadium (southeast of
SEFCU Arena). Contractor will begin work staging the project sites which will include fencing;
locating project trailers and installing temporary pathways around the project site.

Notice – Starting Wednesday, April 04 no parking is allowed in the first two rows of the SEFCU lot
west of the access drive. See attached graphic.

Refer to the attached map for the extent of the project sites. Additional alert notifications will be
issued throughout the project’s construction.

POTENTIAL IMPACT ON SURROUNDING AREAS: (please check all that apply)

.Change in access/egress .Odor .Hot Water
.Dust .Traffic .Rest Rooms
.Noise .Water/Sewer .Elevator
.Ventilation .Parking .Fire Alarm(s)
.Heating/Cooling .Other:

CONTACT INFORMATION:
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this work, please contact the project manager, David LaComb, RA, at
[email protected] or at 437-4454.

For a listing of all current Project Work alert Notification and notable campus projects, please view our web page at www.albany.edu/facilities

We apologize for any inconvenience this work may cause as we continue to renovate and upgrade the University;
and we thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Bogus Megapardus
April 2nd, 2012, 05:59 PM
OK, the wagers are on - will it get completed in time? The frantic rush to get it game ready is always the best. Expect aggravation, hand-wringing, hair-pulling and outright panic in the days leading up to the first game.

Congrats once again on the new facility, which the Danes justly deserve. I hope it creates a fun game experience for Albany's fans, students and alums, and and a place that the players will be proud of for many years to come.

Dane96
April 2nd, 2012, 07:35 PM
Bogus.....thanks a bunch from the Danes!

Me, I am immune to the mad-rush; it's every day in my world, except I get to deal with lawyers who tell m they were educated here, there, and anywhere. Add in their constant threats to sue us every which way but loose...and I am well calloused to what side-show this Stadium construction is about to unleash on the campus.

UAalum72
April 2nd, 2012, 09:04 PM
OK, the wagers are on - will it get completed in time? The frantic rush to get it game ready is always the best. Expect aggravation, hand-wringing, hair-pulling and outright panic in the days leading up to the first game.

Define 'in time'. The bid announcement expressed hope the stadium would open for the final home game of the season - that is, Nov. 17 vs. Central Connecticut. As it nears completion I'll start worrying about opening in a 35-degree rainstorm with almost nobody in the stands.

I'd almost prefer waiting until 2013....hmmm....Nah. Get it done.

Dane96
April 2nd, 2012, 10:59 PM
I prefer waiting until 2013.

No reason to open it in ****ty weather against a bad team.

Open that baby for Spring Football as the "soft-opener"...

M Ruler
April 3rd, 2012, 01:10 PM
Agree on the 2013 start. Sorry UA Sr's Andrew Smith & company.

You need a clear fall Friday or Saturday night opener with temps in the 60-70's.

aceinthehole
April 3rd, 2012, 01:37 PM
I prefer waiting until 2013.

No reason to open it in ****ty weather against a bad team.
Open that baby for Spring Football as the "soft-opener"...

Hey, that could be the de-facto league championship game for the AQ ;)

I can't imgaine the UA/State of New York can get that all built out and ready for occupancy in about 5 months. Congrats again, but I think it is more likely you have that stadium ready for the spring game next year and your home opener in 2013.

Seawolf97
April 3rd, 2012, 08:28 PM
Hey, that could be the de-facto league championship game for the AQ ;)

I can't imgaine the UA/State of New York can get that all built out and ready for occupancy in about 5 months. Congrats again, but I think it is more likely you have that stadium ready for the spring game next year and your home opener in 2013.

I tend to agree. The State of New York has the slowest feet on the planet and they drag them. I would expect to see the Danes on their new field in the Spring of 2013 and open the regular 2013 season in their new home. Something on the State level will slow this project down. But it should be a beauty when done.

MplsBison
April 3rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
I tend to agree. The State of New York has the slowest feet on the planet and they drag them. I would expect to see the Danes on their new field in the Spring of 2013 and open the regular 2013 season in their new home. Something on the State level will slow this project down. But it should be a beauty when done.

Except for that dumb*** elevator tower that's bigger than the main grandstand.

danefan
April 3rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
Except for that dumb*** elevator tower that's bigger than the main grandstand.

I know I'm going to regret this......

Its been explained to you six times over.

There are other Phases to this project which include additional levels to that press box structure. Hence the additional floors tht will need to be accessed by elevator.