PDA

View Full Version : CSJ: Decision Made: Patriot League Football Goes Scholarship

Lehigh Football Nation
February 14th, 2012, 12:00 PM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/177-decision-made-patriot-league-football-goes-scholarship

PHILADELPHIA, PA. — Today, a decision was made by the Patriot League.

The decision on Patriot League football scholarships that many, many followers of the quarter-century-old league have been waiting for.

The decision came in the official announcement that the Patriot League "endorsed a policy that will allow athletic merit aid for the sport of football, beginning with the class entering school in the fall of 2013."

After a surprise press conference and official press release announcing the result of the presidents' deliberations on the matter, the Patriot League entered a brand new world.

xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
February 14th, 2012, 12:10 PM
But Georgetown, in contrast, operates with significantly fewer than 45 equivalencies...

Which is more diplomatic than saying, "next to no equivalencies", but therein lies the problem the PL was quick to avoid discussing Monday.

Bucknell says they can add 3-5 scholarships a year and be up to 60 in a few years. Georgetown could add 3-5 from now until the mid-2020's and still be under 60. How competitive will that be?

All Carolyn Femovich could say was "Let's give them a little time." Well, the PL gave Georgetown the pink slip, and they know it.

RichH2
February 14th, 2012, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=DFW HOYA;1771646]Which is more diplomatic than saying, "next to no equivalencies", but therein lies the problem the PL was quick to avoid discussing Monday.

Bucknell says they can add 3-5 scholarships a year and be up to 60 in a few years. Georgetown could add 3-5 from now until the mid-2020's and still be under 60. How competitive will that be?

A load of cr*p. PL should give Hoyas a little more time.They have had many years already and Weiss bought you a couple of more with his delaying tactics. How long should we wait? No one is asking GU to leave or ousting them. As it has been ever since GU joined conference, the issue of lack of funds can only be solved by Hoyas, not by us

van
February 14th, 2012, 12:58 PM
We got your message DFW, probably 50 times in the last week, time to stop feeding the troll.

DFW HOYA
February 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM
We got your message DFW, probably 50 times in the last week, time to stop feeding the troll.

Thank you, too, for these well-meaning comments.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 14th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Contrary to popular belief, I do not believe that Georgetown is giving out all need-based aid a la PFL. It is not 0, and it is not 60, but they are spending something on grants for football players. It's just a small number.

With that I say - what if football ramps up slightly, say, and offers 15 more over four years, and has need-based aid fill the rest? After all, Georgetown's academic stature is so high that IMO it's debatable whether the extra hoops to go through are much of a deterrent.

If I were a PL president, I'd be trying to cook up other possible ways to keep Georgetown in the fold, perhaps with a more permissive AI.

Bogus Megapardus
February 14th, 2012, 03:06 PM
If I were a PL president, I'd be trying to cook up other possible ways to keep Georgetown in the fold, perhaps with a more permissive AI.

I suggest pegging the Hoya AI to Penn standards. They could then admit imbeciles and thereby reduce the competitiveness gap with the newly-scholarshipped PL schools.

LUHawker
February 14th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Which is more diplomatic than saying, "next to no equivalencies", but therein lies the problem the PL was quick to avoid discussing Monday.

All Carolyn Femovich could say was "Let's give them a little time." Well, the PL gave Georgetown the pink slip, and they know it.

Should the PL simply wait for GTown to make a move? I don't understand the undertone of betrayal in your posts that somehow the PL has not dealt fairly with G'Town.