PDA

View Full Version : MWC/CUSA Merging, WHAT A SUPER CLUSTER %#$&?

eagle07
February 13th, 2012, 03:01 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7571596/mountain-west-c-usa-form-new-conference

So, MWC/CUSA are going to combine they're worthless remaining body parts into one conference. Lets look a the remaining members

The newly named league would have a membership in 2013-14 that includes at minumum UNLV, New Mexico, Wyoming, Colorado State and Air Force, Hawaii (in football only), Southern Miss, Tulsa, Marshall, Rice, UTEP, UAB, Tulane, East Carolina, Nevada and Fresno State.

*SIGH*, not a pretty picture for anyone wanting to move up, but the article says 18-24 teams, so App State COME ON DOWN!

Honestly I think it would be a bad move on App's part or anyones for that part just due to the distances, but hey, lets hear what you guys think.....

eagle07
February 13th, 2012, 03:09 PM
http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/uploads/130482859d0b886d81870710f7ca062d.png

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2012, 03:16 PM
A handful of those teams border on "awful."

eagle07
February 13th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I would wager you could put one of the top High School teams in the country in this conference and they would make it somewhere around .500 on the season maybe better, which is sad....

darell1976
February 13th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Throw the WAC teams in there and have a 3 conference merge.

Cleets
February 13th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I would wager you could put one of the top High School teams in the country in this conference and they would make it somewhere around .500 on the season maybe better, which is sad....

Because none of the kids who go to the TOP HIGH SCHOOLS will ever end up going to these schools...

Uncle Rico's Clan
February 13th, 2012, 03:30 PM
How excited do you think Marshall, ECU and Hawaii are for their trips back and forth?

Uncle Rico's Clan
February 13th, 2012, 03:33 PM
When I look at the list, I feel like there is no premiere team in the conference.

Smitty
February 13th, 2012, 03:36 PM
You kidding it will be App State in 2013

WH49er
February 13th, 2012, 03:47 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7571596/mountain-west-c-usa-form-new-conference

Honestly I think it would be a bad move on App's part or anyones for that part just due to the distances, but hey, lets hear what you guys think.....

They are at 15 now and looking for 18-24 teams. If App had some regional rivals (ODU, Charlotte, JMU, Ga State, GSU) jump with them it would be a great move. If not, they are pissing their athletics away.

Apphole
February 13th, 2012, 04:53 PM
They are at 15 now and looking for 18-24 teams. If App had some regional rivals (ODU, Charlotte, JMU, Ga State, GSU) jump with them it would be a great move. If not, they are pissing their athletics away.

I think they add App, GaSo, JMU and Liberty. UNCC definitely a possibility, but not until a few seasons are in the books.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 13th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Temple's AD and President were in Dallas this weekend meeting with this alliance BS. I'd rather stay in the MAC than join this disaster!

asumike83
February 13th, 2012, 05:01 PM
With the gap between BCS and non-BCS continuing to widen within the FBS, I think these two conferences did the only thing they could do. They've both had some of their top teams poached by the BCS conferences and you can say what you like about their new make-up, but it'd be hard to argue against this being the best non-BCS football conference out there. They will very likely be ahead of the MAC, WAC and Sun Belt in terms of TV deal and bowl affiliation.

I am honestly not expecting them to go after any FCS programs, I think they will go for some of the top MAC/Sun Belt teams first. If they do go the FCS route, ODU and Georgia State may have a leg up because of their respective markets. Anything could happen though, it will be interesting if nothing else.

aztecjim
February 13th, 2012, 05:09 PM
The scroll at the bottom of ESPN keeps omitting Fresno State and Nevada.

On a side note I have gotten to the point of wanting to disband all conferences.

49RFootballNow
February 13th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I think they add App, GaSo, JMU and Liberty. UNCC definitely a possibility, but not until a few seasons are in the books.

The Alliance is going to probably be looking to add "basketball" schools to get to that +16-something number, so ODU and Charlotte might move up the list significantly. But who the hell knows about anything right now?

http://www.themwc.com/genrel/021312aab.html

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Temple's AD and President were in Dallas this weekend meeting with this alliance BS. I'd rather stay in the MAC than join this disaster!

I totally agree.

Apphole
February 13th, 2012, 06:07 PM
The Alliance is going to probably be looking to add "basketball" schools to get to that +16-something number, so ODU and Charlotte might move up the list significantly. But who the hell knows about anything right now?

http://www.themwc.com/genrel/021312aab.html
ODU for sure. I don't know why I omitted them the first time. There's no way they could add a school that has yet to field a football team though. It's a football first conference and always will be. Cee definitely has a chance eventually though, don't get me wrong.

MSUDuo
February 13th, 2012, 07:00 PM
How excited do you think Marshall, ECU and Hawaii are for their trips back and forth?

Hawaii is football only. They may play once every 7-8 years. I'd imagine basketball would be similar with having to travel to Cali every other year. Is it a requirement that every conference team play all the other conference members in basketball?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Gringer1
February 13th, 2012, 07:55 PM
What do you think the new name will be? I like Jet Lag Conference. Since the schools will be bleeding money on airfare, maybe they could get a little corporate sponsorship to help out. The American Airlines Conference has a nice ring to it.

GlassOnion
February 13th, 2012, 07:55 PM
The MWC should have snatched UTEP and Tulsa and left the rest of CUSA to fend for themselves. This is a sorry idea, and the only positive of moving up into CUSA at this point is being in a FBS conference when this dumb idea falls apart in two or three years and a new east coast conference is formed from the eastern cusa schools.

MplsBison
February 13th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Complete waste.

Rose, Fiesta, Sugar and Orange bowl auto-bids for perfect FBS teams are DOA. Only thing to come of this will be bigger travel expenses.

mainejeff
February 13th, 2012, 09:34 PM
UMass
Temple
Marshall
JMU
ODU
Charlotte
East Carolina

Good start right there.......

Apphole
February 13th, 2012, 11:42 PM
UMass
Temple
Marshall
JMU
ODU
Charlotte
East Carolina

Good start right there.......
Yeah hopefully ECU and Marshall get a CUSA invite.....

What an idiotic list. How's the hockey season going you out-of-touch moron?

mainejeff
February 14th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Yeah hopefully ECU and Marshall get a CUSA invite.....

What an idiotic list. How's the hockey season going you out-of-touch moron?

Why such an azzhole??? Is it because Maine DESTROYED you at home in the playoffs......or because I didn't include your little hillbilly college in that line-up?

xcoffeex

Twentysix
February 14th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Why such an azzhole??? Is it because Maine DESTROYED you at home in the playoffs......or because I didn't include your little hillbilly college in that line-up?

xcoffeex

They beat a ranked team like a decade ago, SEC durp.

Apphole
February 14th, 2012, 06:36 AM

xcoffeex

It's because your list is asinine. You included two schools that are already there and UMass. I hope Maine gets a return trip this year now that we have competent leadership.

eaglewraith
February 14th, 2012, 06:44 AM
It's because your list is asinine. You included two schools that are already there and UMaine. I hope Maine gets a return trip this year now that we have competent leadership.

Uh...where did he say Maine on that list?

Apphole
February 14th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Uh...where did he say Maine on that list?

Mass* my apologies. He also included a startup that has yet to field a team. If I was too harsh, I understand his outrage, but his list is ridiculous.

eagle07
February 14th, 2012, 07:32 AM
THIS JUST IN, The new MWC/C-USA conference has elected not to travel or field teams!, instead they have decided to play all games using this:

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/images/articles/mg-blogs/blog-29Mar09-Electronic_Football-2.jpg

A pristine copy of electronic football found in a janitors closet at the C-USA offices

AppMan
February 14th, 2012, 08:05 AM
I don't think is is as crazy as some of you think. To have a four team playoff they must go to 24 teams with 6 teams in 4 divisions. Breaking the existing schools down into geographical areas looks something like this.

East: ECU, Marshall

Southeast: Rice, So Miss, Tulane, Tulsa, UAB

West: AF, Colorado St, New Mexico, UTEP, Wyoming

Far West: Fresno, Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV

Conventional wisdom says they look at existing FBS schools where possible to fill in the spots. In the Far West Idaho, San Jose State and Utah State are the only options. Idaho plays in a 16,000 seat dome and unless they are ready to build a 30,000 seat stadium I think it locks them out and eventually forces them back to the Big Sky. San Jose and Utah State get the nod. New Mexico State is a natural fit for the West grouping and La Tech is the likely choice for the Southwest. The greatest void is in the East where 4 schools must be found. Temple is the obvious choice for spot #1 and has already received inquiries from CUSA. The only other candidate in the MAC is Ohio U which leaves the Sunbelt to be raided. The only schools to fit into the “Eastern” mold are MTSU, FIA and FIU. It would give the conference a presence in Florida. WKU doesn’t bring much to the table and the remaining schools are in the “Southwest” region. Is this the opening for a couple of FCS schools to jump in, or do they possibly go after Army and U Mass? It will be interesting to watch.

Far West: Fresno, Hawaii, Nevada, San Jose, UNLV, Utah State

West: AF, Colorado St, New Mexico, New Mexico State, UTEP, Wyoming

Southeast: La Tech, Rice, So Miss, Tulane, Tulsa, UAB

East: ECU, Marshall, Temple, ?, ?, ?

bluehenbillk
February 14th, 2012, 08:08 AM
How could a league with road games in Vegas & Hawaii be a bad thing???

darell1976
February 14th, 2012, 08:39 AM
THIS JUST IN, The new MWC/C-USA conference has elected not to travel or field teams!, instead they have decided to play all games using this:

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/images/articles/mg-blogs/blog-29Mar09-Electronic_Football-2.jpg

A pristine copy of electronic football found in a janitors closet at the C-USA offices

xlolxxlolx I used to have a game like that.

BisonHype!
February 14th, 2012, 10:31 AM
May not be a terrible thing if they have different divisions. West/East, with two sub divisions. Winner of the two main divisions play for the overall championship. It is spread out, but helps them for scheduling, and could work. They are trying to get a team every year into a big game, and make their conference relevant.

WH49er
February 14th, 2012, 10:46 AM

xcoffeex

Be careful the Watauga Teacher's College fans get upset if you aren't talking about their school. A little FYI, football was created in Boone.

ASUMountaineer
February 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Be careful the Watauga Teacher's College fans get upset if you aren't talking about their school. A little FYI, football was created in Boone.

This is true. xnodx

TheRevSFA
February 14th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I don't think is is as crazy as some of you think. To have a four team playoff they must go to 24 teams with 6 teams in 4 divisions. Breaking the existing schools down into geographical areas looks something like this.

Conventional wisdom says they look at existing FBS schools where possible to fill in the spots. In the Far West Idaho, San Jose State and Utah State are the only options. Idaho plays in a 16,000 seat dome and unless they are ready to build a 30,000 seat stadium I think it locks them out and eventually forces them back to the Big Sky. San Jose and Utah State get the nod. New Mexico State is a natural fit for the West grouping and La Tech is the likely choice for the Southwest. The greatest void is in the East where 4 schools must be found. Temple is the obvious choice for spot #1 and has already received inquiries from CUSA. The only other candidate in the MAC is Ohio U which leaves the Sunbelt to be raided. The only schools to fit into the “Eastern” mold are MTSU, FIA and FIU. It would give the conference a presence in Florida. WKU doesn’t bring much to the table and the remaining schools are in the “Southwest” region. Is this the opening for a couple of FCS schools to jump in, or do they possibly go after Army and U Mass? It will be interesting to watch.

Isn't this close to the whole "pod" system the WAC tried (and failed with) in the 90s?

Cleets
February 14th, 2012, 01:11 PM

This ^ actually makes sense...

Lehigh Football Nation
February 14th, 2012, 01:30 PM

Do any of these schools average more than 30,000 a game? Nevada, AF, Hawai'i, and maybe Fresno do, and that's it I think...

WH49er
February 14th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Do any of these schools average more than 30,000 a game? Nevada, AF, Hawai'i, and maybe Fresno do, and that's it I think...

ECU averages over 50K per game. That's why they were so upset that Memphis got "their Big East" invite.

AppMan
February 14th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Four do with a few others close. What's up with the 30,000 figure? ECU 50,112, AF 35,303, Army 33,320, Hawaii 31,785, Fresno 29,238, So Miss 28,400, Temple 28,060, UTEP 26,498, Marshall 25,874, Tulsa 22,541, Wyoming 22,162, Colorado State 21,867, La tech 21,518, UNLV 21,199, New Mexico 20,027

AppMan
February 14th, 2012, 01:45 PM

Not created, just perfected.

AppMan
February 14th, 2012, 01:47 PM
This ^ actually makes sense...

Which is why it will never be adopted.

Mr. Bojangles
February 15th, 2012, 01:02 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/7577605/plenty-questions-remain-new-mwc-c-usa-league-college-basketball

There are a number of options, none of which may move the meter in ratings or command a higher dollar fee in television rights. But there is potential to improve the basketball power-rating if this occurs.

According to multiple sources, the candidates include Charlotte (A-10), which is about to start playing football; Florida International (Sun Belt); North Texas (Sun Belt); UT-San Antonio (WAC); Louisiana Tech (WAC); Middle Tennessee State (Sun Belt); Western Kentucky (Sun Belt), if the Hilltoppers want to bump up the football program; Old Dominion (CAA), if the Monarchs bump up football as well; and UMass and Temple (both would be coming from MAC in football, A-10 in other sports).

frozennorth
February 15th, 2012, 01:32 PM
dumb. wasn't the mwc created because the wac was too big?

the mwc should add utep, usu san jose and i da ho. 12 teams, some of which are competent, and geographically coherent. The wac becomes a texas conference, con-usa raids a mac/sunbelt/fcs school or two.

WH49er
February 15th, 2012, 01:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/7577605/plenty-questions-remain-new-mwc-c-usa-league-college-basketball

Queue the ****storm in 5..4..3..2..1

WH49er
February 15th, 2012, 01:36 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2012/02/c-usa-m-west-to-merge-but-important-questions-remain/

"Texas State, it should be noted, has only ever come up in passing. A C-USA source surmised before the Christmas break that some other candidates could include Florida Atlantic, UNC Charlotte and the Ohio-based MAC schools. I’ve also heard speculation that Georgia State might try to throw its hat in the ring."

Hooner49
February 15th, 2012, 03:05 PM
So how often would the two "conferences" play each other in football and basketball?

Apphole
February 15th, 2012, 05:51 PM
http://gmine.blogspot.com/2012/02/49ers-app-state-possibilities-for-new.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

App-UNCC-ECU This three way rivalry is going to be insane.

"We’d love to consider Appalachian State and Charlotte down the road in a few years," Ballard said at a news conference in Greenville, N.C., Tuesday. "Charlotte has to get (football) up and running. But Charlotte as a university has all kinds of advantages and would add basketball talent to the conference."

Looks like Cee might have to wait. Hopefully there will still be a spot when they're worthy on the grid iron. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd prefer UNCC to ODU.

91Niner
February 15th, 2012, 05:55 PM
http://gmine.blogspot.com/2012/02/49ers-app-state-possibilities-for-new.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

App-UNCC-ECU This three way rivalry is going to be insane.

Can't believe it. I agree with Apphole.

MplsBison
February 15th, 2012, 05:57 PM
So Charlotte *IS* willing to give up A10 basketball for CUSA basketball lite (no Memphis).

Didn't take long for football to start driving the bus. xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
February 15th, 2012, 06:19 PM
So Charlotte *IS* willing to give up A10 basketball for CUSA basketball lite (no Memphis).

Didn't take long for football to start driving the bus. xlolx

I believe it said Judy was unavailable for comment so where did you get that?

Apphole
February 15th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I believe it said Judy was unavailable for comment so where did you get that?

Judy is too busy queefing dust and turning men to stone to comment on the situation.

49RFootballNow
February 15th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Judy is the Stealth AD.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 15th, 2012, 11:30 PM
The slogan of the new MWC/CUSA: "We're not particularly good at football; we're not particularly good at basketball; we're not particularly good in anything!" xlolx

Twentysix
February 16th, 2012, 02:19 AM
The slogan of the new MWC/CUSA: "We're not particularly good at football; we're not particularly good at basketball; we're not particularly good in anything!" xlolx

A wyoming centric league, Wyoming will dominate it.

Super America gets a bcs bid in the 2013 season.

Wyoming wins the BCS national title in 14-15, 15-16, 16-17 then drops football so they can work on winning some basketball NC's.

In other news The CUSA/MWC feels their geographic footprint isn't large enough yet, so they offered a full membership to oxford.

From england to hawai'i *****es. CUSA/MWC becomes the 2nd international NCAA conference.

cbarrier90
February 16th, 2012, 06:40 AM

The Average Conference: We're okay, and that's alright with us.

I can only imagine the promo: "Saturday! It's TAC Football on The Ocho!"

Apphole
February 16th, 2012, 06:53 AM
It's an improvement from playing privates on PBS in front of 5k fans.

TheRevSFA
February 16th, 2012, 08:03 AM
on a side note, WAC commissioner Benson is being announced as the Sun Belt commissioner today.

Time for him to run another conference into the ground...

ASUMountaineer
February 16th, 2012, 08:31 AM
on a side note, WAC commissioner Benson is being announced as the Sun Belt commissioner today.

Maybe he's on the payroll for the Alliance. A double-agent, if you will.

asumike83
February 16th, 2012, 08:48 AM

The first step in a WAC/Sun Belt merger to mirror that of the MWC/C-USA, in my opinion.

One way or another, it looks like there will be no shortage of homes for the FCS transitions in the coming years. I'm interested to see how this all shakes out.

WH49er
February 16th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Judy is too busy queefing dust and turning men to stone to comment on the situation.

So her and your Mom tore up the town in their 70s pants suits? I hope she left you enough money for pizza and wings.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 16th, 2012, 09:03 AM

Maybe he's on the payroll for the Alliance. A double-agent, if you will.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

eagle07
February 16th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Yardbarker did a list of potential names for the soon to be conference submitted by random folks, some are pretty good, thought i would share

http://network.yardbarker.com/college_football/article_external/friendly_suggestions_for_the_c_usamwc_merger/9905125

Lehigh Football Nation
February 16th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Camp Cluster***** for the Forgotten Souls of College Football

The Conference Of Misfit Toys

The Every State Except South & North Dakota Conference

Damned funny! xlolx

FCSbuff319
February 16th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Take a letter from each conference's name and they could be the CMC. Celebrate Mediocrity Conference.

Apphole
February 16th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Yardbarker did a list of potential names for the soon to be conference submitted by random folks, some are pretty good, thought i would share

http://network.yardbarker.com/college_football/article_external/friendly_suggestions_for_the_c_usamwc_merger/9905125

I like the conference of misfit toys

eagle07
February 16th, 2012, 12:52 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/29oite9.jpg

WH49er
February 28th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Here comes the domino

http://www.examiner.com/college-football-in-national/report-temple-meeting-to-accept-big-east-invite