PDA

View Full Version : CAA Announcement re: Future TV Partnership - 3 p.m. EST

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Just rec'd via e-mail...

The Colonial Athletic Association will conduct a media teleconference at 3 p.m. on Monday, February 13 to make a major announcement regarding the conference’s future television partnerships.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Heretoforth, CAA games will only be available on tape-delay through Fios1?

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Update...

RICHMOND, Va. (February 13, 2012) – The Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) has reached five-year agreements with the NBC Sports Group that will provide the most extensive and comprehensive exposure of the conference in its history with coverage on NBC Sports Network and across the group’s regional sports networks.

The agreements, which begin with the 2012-13 season and runs through 2016-17, will provide national television coverage of CAA men’s basketball and football games on the NBC Sports Network, regional television coverage of CAA men’s and women’s basketball and football through the Comcast SportsNet regional networks and coverage of a variety of other CAA sports through NBCSports.com. The CAA is the first collegiate athletic conference to sign a broadcast agreement with the NBC Sports Network, which launched on January 2, 2012.

“We are thrilled to be associated with the NBC Sports Group,” CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager said. “The NBC Sports Network now provides a national platform to elevate the conference in conjunction with the relationship we’ve had with the Comcast SportsNets, which have been the foundation of our television package for almost three decades.”

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=205378874

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2012, 01:53 PM
"The agreements, which begin with the 2012-13 season and runs through 2016-17, will provide national television coverage of CAA men’s basketball and football games on the NBC Sports Network, regional television coverage of CAA men’s and women’s basketball and football through the Comcast SportsNet regional networks and coverage of a variety of other CAA sports through NBCSports.com. The CAA is the first collegiate athletic conference to sign a broadcast agreement with the NBC Sports Network, which launched on January 2, 2012."

A bit of hyperbole in this release. NBC Sports was formerly Versus, which has been televising some Ivy League games now for quite some time. It's more of a "relaunch" than a "launch".

DFW HOYA
February 13th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Good for the CAA, shows some foresight.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2012, 01:56 PM
That is freaking awesome. Big congrats to the CAA and NBC for getting this done...for all of us that want to watch.

We are gonna be able to see it right? I didn't read the link yet.

Saint3333
February 13th, 2012, 02:27 PM
For anyone that defending the SoCon's tv deal last year, this is what leadership looks like.

bluehenbillk
February 13th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Basically the CAA will have 5 football games per year televised nationally on the network formerly known as Versus.

Bearwitness
February 13th, 2012, 02:31 PM
The network is in 75 million homes and will show a minimum of 5 games per season. Comcast will continue to air 13 games regionally.

Great news for the conference! Now just hoping Maine and New Hampshire can remain members...

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2012, 02:35 PM
For anyone that defending the SoCon's tv deal last year, this is what leadership looks like.

Sure this is a better deal than the Socon's but the Socon went from paying for coverage to not paying for coverage. That was a better deal for the SoCon than the previous deal for the SoCon. I think that is what the argument was over.

If a deal like this had come up for the SoCon then I'd think the leadership would have went for it. It wasn't great but they were working with what they had.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2012, 02:37 PM
The network is in 75 million homes and will show a minimum of 5 games per season. Comcast will continue to air 13 games regionally.

Great news for the conference! Now just hoping Maine and New Hampshire can remain members...

Do you know if they would be available on the net even though it is a regional broadcast? I bet they will have that option...or hope they will anyway.

RichH2
February 13th, 2012, 02:49 PM
The one advantage of Dish is lots of assorted Fox and Comcast games everyweek and I get NBC and CBS sports

jmufan
February 13th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Do you know if they would be available on the net even though it is a regional broadcast? I bet they will have that option...or hope they will anyway.

Yes.

...regional television coverage of CAA men's and women's basketball and football through the Comcast SportsNet regional networks and coverage of a variety of other CAA sports through NBCSports.com.

Read more - http://w.po.st/share/entry/redir?publisherKey=futoncritic&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thefutoncritic.com%2Fnews%2F2 012%2F02%2F13%2Fcaa-and-nbc-sports-group-reach-five-year-agreements-for-national-basketball-and-football-rights-825114%2F20120213nbc02%2F&title=Breaking%20News%20-%20CAA%20and%20NBC%20Sports%20Group%20Reach%20Five-Year%20Agreements%20for%20National%20Basketball%20 and%20Football%20Rights%20%7C%20TheFutonCritic.com&sharer=copypaste

Saint3333
February 13th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Sure this is a better deal than the Socon's but the Socon went from paying for coverage to not paying for coverage. That was a better deal for the SoCon than the previous deal for the SoCon. I think that is what the argument was over.

If a deal like this had come up for the SoCon then I'd think the leadership would have went for it. It wasn't great but they were working with what they had.

That is exactly the mentality of the SoCon leaders. Leaders don't wait for ideas to approach them, they seek out opportunities.

Tribe4SF
February 13th, 2012, 03:13 PM
NBC release.

http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/sports/nbcsports/pressreleases?pr=contents/press-releases/2012/02/13/caaandnbcsports1329158282276.xml

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2012, 03:22 PM
That is exactly the mentality of the SoCon leaders. Leaders don't wait for ideas to approach them, they seek out opportunities.

Could be true, I don't know, and I also don't know that you know how it all went down. Now I would certainly think (as I'm sure you do as well) that the SoCon is more marketable than having to pay for coverage but that is where they were.

Since I really don't know if they are lazy or lacking in leadership I'll just have to go off the fact that financially the new deal was better than the old deal.

jmufan
February 13th, 2012, 03:28 PM
You think RI is starting to regret their move?

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2012, 03:37 PM
You think RI is starting to regret their move?

At least the fans are gonna be pretty pissed. Is the financial element enough that it would have balanced for them?

HailSzczur
February 13th, 2012, 03:39 PM
It will be interesting to see what 5 games are picked. We played William and Mary on versus back in 09 I know.

Saint3333
February 13th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Could be true, I don't know, and I also don't know that you know how it all went down. Now I would certainly think (as I'm sure you do as well) that the SoCon is more marketable than having to pay for coverage but that is where they were.

Since I really don't know if they are lazy or lacking in leadership I'll just have to go off the fact that financially the new deal was better than the old deal.

Let's just say the CAA has better leadership than the SoCon before I say more than I should.

$0 vs. paying $400k isn't always as simple as saying the $0 option is the better option. One could argue that the setup with SportsSouth paying $400k a year was a better overall situation for the SoCon.

danefan
February 13th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Not surprising since Comcast owns the majority of NBC now.

Comcast has always given great exposure to the CAA.

And for those asking about Rhode Island - why do you think this matters to them?

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Let's just say the CAA has better leadership than the SoCon before I say more than I should.

$0 vs. paying $400k isn't always as simple as saying the $0 option is the better option. One could argue that the setup with SportsSouth paying $400k a year was a better overall situation for the SoCon.

Well that sounds like conjecture and it could be right as I don't know but since you seem to maybe you could start a new thread showing the analysis so I and the others can see why? It would be an excellent topic Saint.xthumbsupx

Saint3333
February 13th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Price is your only factor is determining which deal is better, which is flawed, is it a factor, certainly, but not the only factor.

For instance if I were a CAA member I'd rather pay $100K per member to get the deal they just signed vs. paying $0 and get the PBS deal the SoCon has.

The purpose of the TV contract is to advertise your brand. Having it on PBS isn't ideal if you're trying to add value to the product or reach viewers.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Price is your only factor is determining which deal is better, which is flawed, is it a factor, certainly, but not the only factor.

For instance if I were a CAA member I'd rather pay $100K per member to get the deal they just signed vs. paying $0 and get the PBS deal the SoCon has.

The purpose of the TV contract is to advertise your brand. Having it on PBS isn't ideal if you're trying to add value to the product or reach viewers.

Well as was discussed in the past if you'd rather pay then let them know and I'm sure they'll oblige and the conference will thank you for the help. Outside of that they could have other budget issues they are looking at...who knows.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I will say I'm happy there will be more games on national TV on NBC Sports Network. It will keep my DVR busy during the regular season!

Saint3333
February 13th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Well as was discussed in the past if you'd rather pay then let them know and I'm sure they'll oblige and the conference will thank you for the help. Outside of that they could have other budget issues they are looking at...who knows.

So I guess no one should complain about anything they should just pony up the money to fix the problem? Stop.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2012, 05:15 PM
So I guess no one should complain about anything they should just pony up the money to fix the problem? Stop.

Of course not. They should just complain and compare their lot to others that are doing better. See Cleets' thread earlier today.

R3TRO
February 13th, 2012, 07:12 PM
It will be interesting to see what 5 games are picked. We played William and Mary on versus back in 09 I know.

I can almost guarantee it won't be a UNH home game. xcoffeex

HailSzczur
February 13th, 2012, 07:33 PM

I'd say the same for us, except for our skycam cam rig.....That's the only thing we've going for us

Seawolf97
February 13th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Nice move and nice marketing of your product . I'm sure VCU and George Mason will get more exposure with their basketball programs also.

BlueHenSinfonian
February 13th, 2012, 09:00 PM

My guess is that Delaware, ODU, and JMU get at least one home game each, as far as the other two, who knows. GA State has the stadium, but filming it less than 10% filled might not make the right impression. Richmond's place is small, but they pack it. Maine seems to exist inside of a telecommunications black hole - the ESPN live stats don't even update at anywhere close to accurate game time in Orono.

mainejeff
February 13th, 2012, 09:28 PM
My guess is that Delaware, ODU, and JMU get at least one home game each, as far as the other two, who knows. GA State has the stadium, but filming it less than 10% filled might not make the right impression. Richmond's place is small, but they pack it. Maine seems to exist inside of a telecommunications black hole - the ESPN live stats don't even update at anywhere close to accurate game time in Orono.

Huh????

BlueHenSinfonian
February 13th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Huh????

Any time I've tried to track what's going on at a Hens away game in Maine via ESPN the score, game clock, play by play, virtual field thingie, etc, is always fifteen minutes or more behind what's actually going on.

mainejeff
February 13th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Any time I've tried to track what's going on at a Hens away game in Maine via ESPN the score, game clock, play by play, virtual field thingie, etc, is always fifteen minutes or more behind what's actually going on.

Sorry to hear that........why should that affect whether NBC Sports Network televises a game from Orono????

citdog
February 13th, 2012, 11:21 PM

I hear unc-charlotte is planning on playing football.

DISCUSS

Old Cat Fan
February 14th, 2012, 12:23 AM
This deal won't hurt recruiting any, CAA NBC sports network national game, can be a nice sell to high school recruits

Wildcat80
February 14th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Yes but a UNH away WIN on National TV is always so sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apphole
February 14th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Meanwhile, Bert and Ernie will be commentating App State games xbangx

realgsu
February 14th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Amazing what happens when you put the 8th largest media market in your conference. I think a good game to televise would be the GSU vs. Nova game on Oct. 20th. It should be pretty well attended. Just hope we aren't 1-7 when it happens.

WH49er
February 14th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Amazing what happens when you put the 8th largest media market in your conference. I think a good game to televise would be the GSU vs. Nova game on Oct. 20th. It should be pretty well attended. Just hope we aren't 1-7 when it happens.

Let the flaming commence.

BisonHype!
February 14th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Good deal for all the CAA schools. Congrats!

JmuSkinsfan
February 14th, 2012, 11:07 AM
My guess, is if the teams remain as competitive as they indicate they will and have been ...

JMU/ODU game every year.
Richmond/WM every year
Villanova/Delaware every year
JMU/UD
ODU/WM

UNH/UMass would have been nice ... prior to UMass defecting. UNH/Maine would certainly be a nice matchup if they're ranked ...

Then at least 2 games of any top-ranked teams ...

Remember this says "at-least" 5 games a year ... so it could be more than that. If they have 5 games selected and then a game that isn't included is a top-10 matchup I'm sure they'll pick it up.

realgsu
February 14th, 2012, 11:15 AM
My guess, is if the teams remain as competitive as they indicate they will and have been ...

JMU/ODU game every year.
Richmond/WM every year
JMU/UD
ODU/WM

Yeah because they'd never televise the games of the school in a city of 6 million people. Why do you think this deal got signed because they wanted the Norfolk Market?
UNH/UMass would have been nice ... prior to UMass defecting. UNH/Maine would certainly be a nice matchup if they're ranked ...

Remember this says "at-least" 5 games a year ... so it could be more than that. If they have 5 games selected and then a game that isn't included is a top-10 matchup I'm sure they'll pick it up.

Yeah because they'd never televise the games of the school in a city of 6 million people. Why do you think this deal got signed because they wanted the Norfolk Market?

ursus arctos horribilis
February 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM

It didn't get signed because of Georgia State. It may have helped a little but I have a hard time thinking you were a real draw. They know that even if you are in a huge market you ain't exactly a draw at this point. You may be at some point but as always happens you think much more of your situation than your status would or should give credence to. Good luck and all that but you ain't what you think you are. No offense.

JmuSkinsfan
February 14th, 2012, 11:23 AM

Haha, sorry, I forgot about GSU. But yes, I actually think you need to prove it on the field first. If you're going to be 2-9 you first few years no one is going to want to watch you. The CAA has a lot of established rivalries in the MA region ... GSU is the red-headed step child of the conference ... and there are no natural rivalries ... so until you make some, don't expect to jump right in and get guaranteed games every year just because you're in Atlanta.

realgsu
February 14th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Haha, sorry, I forgot about GSU. But yes, I actually think you need to prove it on the field first. If you're going to be 2-9 you first few years no one is going to want to watch you. The CAA has a lot of established rivalries in the MA region ... GSU is the red-headed step child of the conference ... and there are no natural rivalries ... so until you make some, don't expect to jump right in and get guaranteed games every year just because you're in Atlanta.

Do you think NBC gives a crap about Virginia rivalries? They are selling advertising. They televise Notre Dame who have been a crap team for over a decade. Its about getting eyeballs. And if you think that we will be a bad team for long you are crazy.

Dane96
February 14th, 2012, 11:30 AM
You are completely out of your mind if NBC went and said, "Hmmm...well, I dont know if we can do this deal withour Georgia State. We love to show games in a completely empty stadium."

Vice-versa, I am sure that the GSU ADept went and said, "Unless we are on TV, we are not supporting this; we love to keep more fans at home to watch on TV..."

JmuSkinsfan
February 14th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Do you think NBC gives a crap about Virginia rivalries? They are selling advertising. They televise Notre Dame who have been a crap team for over a decade. Its about getting eyeballs. And if you think that we will be a bad team for long you are crazy.

Uhm, yeah, I do. There is a market for that. Bottom line is you aren't going to draw a lot of viewers, regardless, for FCS games. It's all about regional viewers ... and the CAA rivalries in the mid-atlantic make for better viewing. You'll get a lot more viewers for JMU/ODU or JMU/Delaware than you would for, say, GSU/New Hampshire. Give me a break.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 14th, 2012, 11:40 AM

Doesn't matter that ND is bad for a decade. They have millions of fans. You don't and you are bad. That's not anything to hang your hat on but feel free to if you like. GaSt was not the reason, a smal gamble in the hope they get better by the CAA and in turn NBC but nobody is banking on ya I'm pretty sure of that.

Saint3333
February 14th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Haha, sorry, I forgot about GSU.

You are part of the 99%. Bazinga.

Tuscon
February 14th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Doesn't matter that ND is bad for a decade. They have millions of fans. You don't and you are bad. That's not anything to hang your hat on but feel free to if you like. GaSt was not the reason, a smal gamble in the hope they get better by the CAA and in turn NBC but nobody is banking on ya I'm pretty sure of that.

Seems like the CAA used some of the clout they've been building over the years to get a good deal. Every year, they do better and better and with people like VCU in the Final Four the pickings were good for a national brand to pick us up. Georgia State bringing the Atlanta market into the picture was a factor, but it wasn't THE factor.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Seems like the CAA used some of the clout they've been building over the years to get a good deal. Every year, they do better and better and with people like VCU in the Final Four the pickings were good for a national brand to pick us up. Georgia State bringing the Atlanta market into the picture was a factor, but it wasn't THE factor.

Exactly.

JmuSkinsfan
February 14th, 2012, 11:53 AM

Okay, I agree with this. But to ODU/GSU fans who expect that they will get all the games because of their markets ... you will be very disappointed.

ODU has had early success and has established rivalries quickly, so they at least have an argument, but I wouldn't expect ODU to get more than 2 games a year ... which is what I would say would be how many UD/JMU would also get.

Let's be honest, Richmond's appeal has fallen drastically ... WM is always going to have the historical clout ... and I think WM/UR would both get a game each year ... but JMU/UD/ODU are emerging as the "class" of the CAA with their consistency, fan bases and regional popularity.

Don't tell me Towson/Maine shuold be included. They had great years last year, but Towson does not have the fan base that JMU/UD/ODU have right now ... it may come in time though with continued success ... and Maine is very isolated in terms of location. Villanova, prior to this year, has the performance and "big city" appeal ... but they don't have a strong fanbase at all. For those reasons ... JMU/UD/ODU = class of CAA and will, at least initially, get the most games (which, again, is probably no more than 2 unless one of them is consistently top 3 in the country and playing a lot of top 10 games ala JMU in 2008)

Tuscon
February 14th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I honestly don't know a ton about the CAA. I only started following FCS football since GSU started playing. I can say that I expect ODU to be some of those televised games because of the combination of market, and their ability to utilize said market. They sell out their stadium consistently with a waiting list for season tickets. Honestly, outside of that I had never heard of or cared about any of the other schools. Probably has to do with Georgia State not really fitting the CAA mold(Read: in the deep south.)

bluehenbillk
February 14th, 2012, 02:03 PM

JMU/ODU game every year.
Richmond/WM every year
JMU/UD
ODU/WM

Good list - only problem is the first 3 games you listed are all played on the same weekend - excluding two unless they televise a doubleheader. I'd think on years where UD plays at VU they'd show one of the VA games probably ODU/JMU and on years the VU/UD game is at UD they'd show that one. Even when VU's stadium is full it looks pretty cheesy on TV.

bluehenbillk
February 14th, 2012, 02:10 PM

I hope you guys are talking about Atlanta with 6 million people. otherwise you need to go back to school:

CAA Metro Area Populations:

Philadelphia - 6.1 million
Atlanta - 5.4 million
Baltimore - 2.6 million
Hampton Roads - 1.7 million

If they're going to put games on national TV it has to do with eyeballs & name recognition for FCS teams.

GoBlue06
February 14th, 2012, 02:16 PM
So then how many games will comcast be doing? Could this be the year where all of the UD games are on TV minus the WC game...and maybe Bucknell

bluehenbillk
February 14th, 2012, 02:19 PM
For UD it'll probably be a normal TV year - the VU game has been televised every year as long as I can remember. Towson will probably be a TV game, I think ODU would be, maybe Maine & hopefully either the W&M or UNH game (one, not both).

realgsu
February 14th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I hope you guys are talking about Atlanta with 6 million people. otherwise you need to go back to school:

CAA Metro Area Populations:

Philadelphia - 6.1 million
Atlanta - 5.4 million
Baltimore - 2.6 million
Hampton Roads - 1.7 million

If they're going to put games on national TV it has to do with eyeballs & name recognition for FCS teams.

This Article (http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2010/08/02/daily42.html) has it at 5.6 million in 2010, which I think is higher now.

DJKyR0
February 14th, 2012, 03:07 PM
"The agreements, which begin with the 2012-13 season and runs through 2016-17, will provide national television coverage of CAA men’s basketball and football games on the NBC Sports Network, regional television coverage of CAA men’s and women’s basketball and football through the Comcast SportsNet regional networks and coverage of a variety of other CAA sports through NBCSports.com. The CAA is the first collegiate athletic conference to sign a broadcast agreement with the NBC Sports Network, which launched on January 2, 2012."

A bit of hyperbole in this release. NBC Sports was formerly Versus, which has been televising some Ivy League games now for quite some time. It's more of a "relaunch" than a "launch".

http://myfacewhen.com/images/325.gif

bluehenbillk
February 14th, 2012, 03:51 PM
This Article (http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2010/08/02/daily42.html) has it at 5.6 million in 2010, which I think is higher now.

5.4...5.6 not that big a difference i the grand scheme of things