PDA

View Full Version : Beating Up On The Patsy Ratings

carney2
February 10th, 2012, 09:18 AM
It's February. That means it's time for yet another Hallmark holiday, you shovel some snow (well, most years you do), it hits you just how far it is to September's opening kickoff, and, yes, it is officially open season on the Patsy Ratings. They're meaningless. They're sheeeet. They are for entertainment purposes only.

I have a day job and don't do many look backs on the Patsies. I certainly don't do any of the player by player look backs that have been suggested by some. In preparing the recently released Lehigh rating for 2012 however, I was struck by just how firmly the Patsies predicted Lehigh's total dominance of the 2011 season, and thought it might be fun (that word again) to see how the Patsies did in predicting the 2011 Patriot League season. I took a very simple approach: I left out the freshmen and took an average of the Patsy Ratings for the 3 upper class years. No weighting; no analysis of who left school or who got injured. Nothing fancy. Here are the results with Fordham included as a full member:

Actual 2011 Patriot League order of finish:
1. Lehigh
2. Georgetown
Holy Cross
4. Bucknell
5. Colgate
Lafayette
7. Fordham

Here is what the Patsy Ratings would have predicted:
1. Lehigh (in a total blowout)
2. Holy Cross
3. Georgetown
4. Bucknell
5. Lafayette
6. Fordham
7. Colgate

Not even close, right? Confirmation at last that the Patsies are the pile of crap that most of you say they are.

Oh yeah, just for more chuckles, here's what the Patsies say for 2012:

1. Lehigh (a big drop as they come back to the pack)
2. Holy Cross
3. Georgetown
4. Bucknell
5. Lafayette
6. Fordham
7. Colgate

Laughable.

RichH2
February 10th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Touchy or Touche can't decide. Regardless ,still enjoy Patsy. Would seem to coorelate . Is it the prioryear's rank or an avg of the prior 3 or 4 yrs that you use to predict?

Must admit my analysis of of past Patsy ratings focused on * players vs non * recruits and their individual career success over their careers.

carney2
February 10th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Touchy or Touche can't decide. Regardless ,still enjoy Patsy. Would seem to coorelate . Is it the prioryear's rank or an avg of the prior 3 or 4 yrs that you use to predict?

Average ratings. i.e., (50+60+70)/3 = 60. No correlation at all. Isn't that the point?

RichH2
February 10th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks Carney. I had edited my 1st response to reflect how I had reviewed Patsy. Never really reviewed them from a predictive angle only historical. Good job

DFW HOYA
February 10th, 2012, 09:59 AM
For February, that's probably a good observation of the 2012 race, although I'd flip HC and GU: Georgetown returns 11 starters on offense and 18 overall and gets the Crusaders at home.

carney2
February 10th, 2012, 10:53 AM
For February, that's probably a good observation of the 2012 race, although I'd flip HC and GU: Georgetown returns 11 starters on offense and 18 overall and gets the Crusaders at home.

It won't change when we get to September. The ratings do not factor in spring practice, late bloomers, injuries, or, as you just did, experience. They are cast in stone on the day the recruiting class is announced. This is, after all, what makes them so ridiculous and leads to the ludicrous results detailed in this thread.

Mr. C
February 10th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I am still trying to figure out who the heck this Patsy is?

RichH2
February 10th, 2012, 11:19 AM
A bit oversensitive perhaps. No one ever said Patsy was ludicrous. In fact it is unanimous that we all like them.

carney2
February 10th, 2012, 12:01 PM
A bit oversensitive perhaps. No one ever said Patsy was ludicrous. In fact it is unanimous that we all like them.

"They" are not ludicrous. The results are ludicrous. How can anyone with knowledge of The Rackley Factor not view this with disdain?

RichH2
February 10th, 2012, 12:19 PM
"They" are not ludicrous. The results are ludicrous. How can anyone with knowledge of The Rackley Factor not view this with disdain?

Geez Carney, you are starting to scare me. Nitpicking at the nitpickers. Every year there will be those ( especially w a lousy Patsy) noting all those players who were or will be great but not include in Patsys. So what. System may be more predictive teamwise than I had anticipated but we all know *** or lack thereof are not necessarily valid predictors of individual success. The Patsy competition is in and of itself a fun competition. Why not enjoy your diligent work

carney2
February 10th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Geez Carney, you are starting to scare me.

And you don't even see the same face in the mirror that I do.

Anyway, remember and repeat the mantra: The Patsies suk.

ngineer
February 10th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Patsy Cline..."Crying over You"...(;-)

RichH2
February 10th, 2012, 12:34 PM
And you don't even see the same face in the mirror that I do.

Anyway, remember and repeat the mantra: The Patsies suk.

OK, I give up.xbangx

BucBisonAtLarge
February 10th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Carney, thanks for the Patsys. They are truly an art form requiring time to be appreciated. Do not tinker! The Patsys were the only thing on the Board to claim Bucknell finishing anything above the cellar for my first two years here. I only hope you can turn a profit on them before your death, more like Picasso than Van Gogh.

RichH2
February 10th, 2012, 01:10 PM
A copyrighted PATSY website. Heck of an idea. Better than Muni Bonds for a retirement nest egg

carney2
February 10th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Now you've gone to the absurd. Just stick with the program. Repeat after me: Patsies are meaningless. Patsies are meaningless. Patsies are...

As for Picasso, he was a masterful money machine. He paid for everything - everything, down to, and including a pack of chewing gum - with a check in the hopes that the recipient would value the autograph more than the cash.

See, trivia. You don't get that with other rating systems.

Want more? How about Billy the Kid's real name? William Bonney, you say. Wrong. That was an alias. His real name was William Henry McCarty, Jr.

And the hits just keep coming.

BucBisonAtLarge
February 10th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Whoa, meaninglessness can be big bucks-- look at TMZ... maybe you just need an agent.

Seawolf97
February 10th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I am still trying to figure out who the heck this Patsy is?

A local Italian singer from Pennsylvania. Nice guy good voice .

Pard4Life
February 11th, 2012, 08:10 AM
A copyrighted PATSY website. Heck of an idea. Better than Muni Bonds for a retirement nest egg

Guess you missed that rally!

Pard4Life
February 11th, 2012, 08:11 AM
A local Italian singer from Pennsylvania. Nice guy good voice .

Also a victim of Dr. Hannibal Lector.