PDA

View Full Version : Probable 2012 Rule Changes

bluehenbillk
February 10th, 2012, 09:13 AM
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2012/february/committee+recommends+several+football+rules+propos als+to+enhance+safety

because they concern "player safety" these rules could be put into effect in the next 30 days for the 2012 season:

Highlights-

-Kickoffs move up to the 35 (i.e. same as NFL) and touchbacks come out to the 25.

-If your helmet comes off(except on a facemask penalty), you have to come out for a play - like you were injured & if you're carrying the ball & your helmet comes off the play stops right there (NFL has same rule as of 2011).

-Leaping rule on placements now to carryover to punts as well.

Mr. C
February 10th, 2012, 10:22 AM
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2012/february/committee+recommends+several+football+rules+propos als+to+enhance+safety

because they concern "player safety" these rules could be put into effect in the next 30 days for the 2012 season:

Highlights-

-Kickoffs move up to the 35 (i.e. same as NFL) and touchbacks come out to the 25.

-If your helmet comes off(except on a facemask penalty), you have to come out for a play - like you were injured & if you're carrying the ball & your helmet comes off the play stops right there (NFL has same rule as of 2011).

Of more intrigue in regards to kickoffs was the potential rule change that would force kickoff coverage teams to be no more than five yards behind the ball when it is whistled for play. They want to possibly encourage returns by giving coverage teams less of a running start. They also think this could lessen injuries.

Another good rule is to tighten up still further on when you can block below the waist. You here that Georgia Southern (just having fun with you cut-blocking Eagle fiends).

darell1976
February 10th, 2012, 10:27 AM

Highlights-

Rule applies in college hockey. Helmet comes off whistle blows. Touchbacks at the 25?? I don't get the helmet comes off you sit out a play...that makes no sense.

Mr. C
February 10th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Rule applies in college hockey. Helmet comes off whistle blows. Touchbacks at the 25?? I don't get the helmet comes off you sit out a play...that makes no sense.

I loved the days when the NHL players didn't wear helmets. You could tell who everyone was without even having to see their numbers. The helmet thing is taking safety to an anal level. Like you, I think that is just plain silly. You might see teams deliberately try to get helmets off of star players to get them out of games. The NCAA studies showed only an average of two helmets coming off per game.

Twentysix
February 10th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Touchbacks at the 25 seems legit to me. It gives kickoff squads more incentive to keep the ball inbounds rather than out the back of the endzone.

UAalum72
February 10th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Touchbacks at the 25 seems legit to me. It gives kickoff squads more incentive to keep the ball inbounds rather than out the back of the endzone.
But it seems like now you'd NEVER see a kick run out of the endzone.

Twentysix
February 10th, 2012, 11:30 AM
But it seems like now you'd NEVER see a kick run out of the endzone.

Thats ok with me. It places the burden on the kicking team. Higher skill rather than just power.

bojeta
February 10th, 2012, 04:36 PM

Especially since the new helmets are designed to come off easier. I was told they did this to lessen the risk of injury and now they're suggesting, if it works, you should sit out as well!!! Not buying this one.

HailSzczur
February 10th, 2012, 04:59 PM

It makes perfect sense with the emphasis on concussions and concussion awareness. While I may not agree 100% with it as helmets do pop off for minor and incidental things, you can see where they are coming from

HailSzczur
February 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM

It makes perfect sense with the emphasis on concussions and concussion awareness. While I may not agree 100% with it as helmets do pop off for minor and incidental things, you can see where they are coming from

Twentysix
February 10th, 2012, 07:49 PM

It also penalizes players who don't wear their helmet correctly.... Seems like its the same guys who lose it over and over and over.

ngineer
February 10th, 2012, 08:43 PM
What' the "leaping" rule as to punting?

Twentysix
February 10th, 2012, 08:46 PM
What' the "leaping" rule as to punting?

I believe it has to do with lining up like a db blitz and getting a running start at the punter. You would have to line up within 1 yd of the line of scrimmage, or your block of the punt would be a penalty.

I have never seen the bison line up so that the attempted punt blocker is running full speed at the time of the snap anyways.. so this rule doesn't bother me so long as i am understanding it correctly.

I however am not a ref.

MTfan4life
February 10th, 2012, 10:39 PM

Not many college kickers can boot a touchback consistently, especially not outside even from the 35. It should be rewarded at the NCAA level with having them start at the 20.

BlueHenSinfonian
February 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Not many college kickers can boot a touchback consistently, especially not outside even from the 35. It should be rewarded at the NCAA level with having them start at the 20.

Letting the kicking team start at the 35 should help them get down the field quicker though, so now the skill will be to land the kickoff inside the 5 so that your team has a chance to shut the receiving team down inside the 20.

MTfan4life
February 10th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Letting the kicking team start at the 35 should help them get down the field quicker though, so now the skill will be to land the kickoff inside the 5 so that your team has a chance to shut the receiving team down inside the 20.

I don't remember it being much of a problem when they previously kicked from the 35. They've only been doing this 30 stuff for a handful of years.

BlueHenSinfonian
February 10th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I don't remember it being much of a problem when they previously kicked from the 35. They've only been doing this 30 stuff for a handful of years.

The way I see it moving the touchback position to the 25 is the bigger change. Now there is a lot more motivation to not kick into the endzone - the defense gets to start closer for a better chance to stop the receiving team, and the receiving team gets an extra 5 free yards if you don't force them to return.

Twentysix
February 11th, 2012, 12:52 AM

Your kickers should grow a leg then.

Freshman might have trouble, but if you are a DI kicker and you cant kick the ball 65 yards... might wanna play a different spot.

MTfan4life
February 11th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Your kickers should grow a leg then.

Freshman might have trouble, but if you are a DI kicker and you cant kick the ball 65 yards... might wanna play a different spot.

facepalm...you continue to amaze me...You obviously haven't watched much college football when they had it at the 35, especially outdoors. About once or twice a game would I see Dan Carpenter boot a touch back. Should he grow a leg? You have to kick at least 70 yards to get a touchback. How many kicks have you seen out the back of the endzone? Also, I said consistently. There were over 240 division I kickers last season, I doubt too many of them can consistently kick the ball over 70 yards. Especially when it's cold for a considerable part of the season.

Twentysix
February 11th, 2012, 01:59 AM
facepalm...you continue to amaze me...You obviously haven't watched much college football when they had it at the 35, especially outdoors. About once or twice a game would I see Dan Carpenter boot a touch back. Should he grow a leg? You have to kick at least 70 yards to get a touchback. How many kicks have you seen out the back of the endzone? Also, I said consistently. There were over 240 division I kickers last season, I doubt too many of them can consistently kick the ball over 70 yards. Especially when it's cold for a considerable part of the season.

You have to kick 65 yards to get a touchback, kneeing it in the endzone yeilds one. /facepalm

We should probably make special weak legged kicker rules, and special cold weather rules, and special windy rules. xlolx

MTfan4life
February 11th, 2012, 02:44 AM
You have to kick 65 yards to get a touchback, kneeing it in the endzone yeilds one. /facepalm

We should probably make special weak legged kicker rules, and special cold weather rules, and special windy rules. xlolx

No one kneels at the front of the end zone. That's what i was implying with kicking it 70 yards. You have to kick 65 yards to get the ball to land on the line. I'm sure you've seen people kneel right in the front of the end zone all the time though. Sorry for the complex thinking. It takes a while to wrap ones head around that the ball has to travel more than 65 yards to get someone to kneel. It's ok.

lionsrking2
February 11th, 2012, 04:12 AM
No one kneels at the front of the end zone. That's what i was implying with kicking it 70 yards. You have to kick 65 yards to get the ball to land on the line. I'm sure you've seen people kneel right in the front of the end zone all the time though. Sorry for the complex thinking. It takes a while to wrap ones head around that the ball has to travel more than 65 yards to get someone to kneel. It's ok.

That's partly the point of changing the touchback spot from the 20 to the 25 ... theory being more teams will elect to kneel and take the ball at the 25 rather than trying to run it out when only a couple of yards deep ... my guess is we'll see coaches counter by having their kickers hang the ball high, inside the five, especially if they have good coverage units.

MplsBison
February 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Of more intrigue in regards to kickoffs was the potential rule change that would force kickoff coverage teams to be no more than five yards behind the ball when it is whistled for play. They want to possibly encourage returns by giving coverage teams less of a running start. They also think this could lessen injuries.

Another good rule is to tighten up still further on when you can block below the waist. You here that Georgia Southern (just having fun with you cut-blocking Eagle fiends).

Cut blocks are bull**** anyway. It's nothing more than a guy diving at someone's knees.

What happens when you miss? BOOM the guy you were supposed to block just tackled your ball carrier for a loss.

Or, OK, say you do cut the guy down - but he was expecting that, pops right back up and then makes the play. What good is that??

A man blocks with his hands at the chest level and drives his legs, pushing the other man back until the whistle blows. That's how a man blocks.

Ban cut blocks for all I care.

Twentysix
February 12th, 2012, 06:33 AM
That's partly the point of changing the touchback spot from the 20 to the 25 ... theory being more teams will elect to kneel and take the ball at the 25 rather than trying to run it out when only a couple of yards deep ... my guess is we'll see coaches counter by having their kickers hang the ball high, inside the five, especially if they have good coverage units.

Exactly. Must make sense to some.

eaglewraith
February 12th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Cut blocks are bull**** anyway. It's nothing more than a guy diving at someone's knees.

What happens when you miss? BOOM the guy you were supposed to block just tackled your ball carrier for a loss.

Or, OK, say you do cut the guy down - but he was expecting that, pops right back up and then makes the play. What good is that??

A man blocks with his hands at the chest level and drives his legs, pushing the other man back until the whistle blows. That's how a man blocks.

Ban cut blocks for all I care.

A properly executed cut block is not "simply diving at someone's knees."

Also, you must not watch much football. Outside of a zone blocking scheme (oh which btw uses cut blocks), most blocking schemes utilize big lineman who on the snap of the ball, step back to form a pocket and try and stop the forward momentum of the defender trying to get by them. Those types of blocking schemes are what is stupid.

A good blocking scheme, like what we use at Georgia Southern, has the lineman actively engaging defenders and taking them out of the play...whether by a cut block or by chipping the defender and getting to the second level where you then have a lineman vs LB/DB matchup.

If a defender has been correctly cut...then by the time he gets back up he is WAY out of the play because the ball has gone way past him.

I present as evidence one of the best executed plays of our entire season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orQ0vbYBvEw

BisonFan02
February 12th, 2012, 06:19 PM
See 4:47....I'm not saying it's as utilized outside of the TO, but Mpls needs to pull his head out of his you know what. It's a perfectly good football play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Loc7zeAss

ngineer
February 12th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I believe it has to do with lining up like a db blitz and getting a running start at the punter. You would have to line up within 1 yd of the line of scrimmage, or your block of the punt would be a penalty.

I have never seen the bison line up so that the attempted punt blocker is running full speed at the time of the snap anyways.. so this rule doesn't bother me so long as i am understanding it correctly.

I however am not a ref.

Makes sense to stop that 'catapault' over the line.

MplsBison
February 12th, 2012, 06:53 PM
A properly executed cut block is not "simply diving at someone's knees."

Also, you must not watch much football. Outside of a zone blocking scheme (oh which btw uses cut blocks), most blocking schemes utilize big lineman who on the snap of the ball, step back to form a pocket and try and stop the forward momentum of the defender trying to get by them. Those types of blocking schemes are what is stupid.

A good blocking scheme, like what we use at Georgia Southern, has the lineman actively engaging defenders and taking them out of the play...whether by a cut block or by chipping the defender and getting to the second level where you then have a lineman vs LB/DB matchup.

If a defender has been correctly cut...then by the time he gets back up he is WAY out of the play because the ball has gone way past him.

I present as evidence one of the best executed plays of our entire season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orQ0vbYBvEw

Thanks for providing the evidence showing I'm correct!!

0:38 in your video, the left guard #62 utterly fails to block #30 from Alabama. Guys just shrugs him off like a pissant. That's the essence of cut blocks and why they're worthless.

eaglewraith
February 12th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks for providing the evidence showing I'm correct!!

0:38 in your video, the left guard #62 utterly fails to block #30 from Alabama. Guys just shrugs him off like a pissant. That's the essence of cut blocks and why they're worthless.

He wasn't supposed to cut him. From what happened it looked like he fell and tried to block him as he was going down. He should have actually engaged 30 up high. You don't cut guys on the non play side.

In any case, he wasn't going to make the tackle. Therefore my point still stands.

alvinkayak6
February 12th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Goodbye to kickoffs as interesting plays.

bluehenbillk
February 24th, 2012, 12:24 PM
The NCAA granted final approval this week - the rules are NOW in effect.

Redhawk2010
February 25th, 2012, 02:12 PM
It also penalizes players who don't wear their helmet correctly.... Seems like its the same guys who lose it over and over and over.

I think this is an excellent rule. NFHS has also added this rule for next year. If the player wears the helmet correctly, it's going to work much better for them! And if they wear it correctly, it's not going to come off! Even 2 helmets coming off a game is too many..