2. Albany
3. Bryant
4. Central Connecticut State
5. Monmouth
6. Robert Morris
7. Sacred Heart
8. Wagner
9. St.Francis

Way early but was bored love talking about the NEC..........a League that is getting better every year!!!

danefan
February 10th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Not a bad prediction, but I don't know about Duquesne. The performance we saw in Albany last year isn't helping me....

I also think Monmouth will be much improved this year. They were a better team at the end of 2011 than I expected they would be.

Dane96
February 10th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I'd say 1-3 are really up grabs this year.

Dukes = Enigma. Will crush a team one weak, play a toughie up game another, get smoked by a top tier team. If they play consistently, I'd say that they can easily finish first

Bryant = Is this the year they finally put the pieces together for a final season; I think so. They are well coached. My issue with them is when does the scholly situation start to hurt them. By this year, Albany CCSU and Monmouth will be at full 40 level, while I believe the Dukes and RMU are coming in around the 30 level. Bryant...I believe, is hovering in the 20's at max. Maybe a close finish gives them reason to find money to get up to 40?!

Albany = If a QB shows up...they will win this conference running away. You basically return EVERYONE but a QB. If Leathely or Fiachi are any good...I dont see them finishing lower than 2.

Ditto on DF's comments about Monmouth. CCSU...about a year away.

aceinthehole
February 10th, 2012, 07:31 AM
A few early thoughts:

- The Dukes will certainly be a contender, but they (and RMU) are usually at a disadvantage with long trips out east. Not sure how their schedule looks, but I think they could win i with a strong offense returning.
- Bryant is knocking on the door and this could be their year. This is a well coached and smart team.
- Albany is defending champ and Coach Ford always puts together one of the best teams in the league. Repeat is not out of the question.
- Monmouth finished strong and is on the way back up - don't count them out.
- CCSU also finished on a decent note, despite a very disapointing season. Need QB and defense to step up to be a legit contender.
- Wagner is my enigma - who know what to expect.
- SHU and SFPA can upset anyone and have an impact on the NEC race.

(FYI - the NEC scholarship max this season is 38, next year it will be 40)

Original_RMC
February 10th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I will add to the fun.

1. Duquesne
2. Bryant
3. Albany
4. Monmouth
5. CCSU
6. Robert Morris
7. Sacred Heart
8. Wagner
9. St.Francis

Dukes return a lot of talent and got a small taste of what it takes to win the NEC.
Favorable NEC schedule with home games vs. Albany & Monmouth.
They will drop at least 1 road game against Bryant or CCSU.

Bryant at home is tough and is getting better on the road. They get Albany & Dukes at home.
Away against Monmouth will be a battle and the last NEC game they play is @CCSU which could be a possible matchup for the NEC title.

Albany could lose 2 of these games (@Bryant, @Dukes, @RMU) but they are always a team near the top and finding a QB might be an issue. Could Albany deploy a 2 QB system to start the season in hopes that one of these QBs takes command?

Monmouth has 3 trips to PA in 4 weeks.
@SFPA, Home, @Dukes, @RMU
That finally stretch could hurt their NEC chances

CCSU gets the Dukes at home then next week must travel to RMU. Final 3 games are tough, @Monmouth, vs Bryant, @Albany (which will always a great game)

RMU gets Albany, Monmouth, CCSU, Dukes all at home. RMU is on the road against Bryant and has never beaten them...ugh that hurts to say that.
11/17 is final home game against Monmouth...might be a game that matters depending how the season unfolds.

SHU/Wagner/SFPA have a long road ahead of them but everyone knows that one of these teams will hurt someone's NEC title dreams with a late season upset.

11/17 Wagner vs. Dukes!!!

RichH2
February 10th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Bryant made a big recruiting effort this year and did very well. Guessing that they upped their schollies.

Original_RMC
February 10th, 2012, 09:01 AM
It seems as a whole that all NEC teams landed some great talent. It will be interesting to see who has the most impact for their new teams in 2012.

UAalum72
February 10th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Albany = If a QB shows up...they will win this conference running away. You basically return EVERYONE but a QB. If Leathely or Fiachi are any good...I dont see them finishing lower than 2.

On offense, maybe. On defense Albany loses three linemen (Delaney, Gallo, and Wargo) and three from the secondary (Harper, Ciccarello, and Hassan). A lot to replace on that side of the ball.

Bryant has beaten Albany the last two years, and their game is back in RI this year. Plus Albany is spending a LOT of time on the bus this year.

aceinthehole
February 10th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Just great to know this is no longer a 3-team league. Tough non-conference schedules, plus lots of good league games.

Whoever comes out on top in 2012 will be well prepared for the playoffs!

hidalgo
February 10th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Dane- as for the Dukes this will be their second year with O/C. This group had Schmitt first year, Loebig second year and now have a two year O/C that knows where his talent lies. Loebig tried to make Patterson a drop back qb ONLY (like he was at Duquesne and they butted heads) and didnt use McCoy correctly. The Dukes only lost two games last year (the first where they dominated Bucknell but inexperience with O/C knowing the personnell bit em in the butt. Albany was a buzzsaw................the rest they took care of business. They realized Patterson was dual threat 500 yards rushing or more and that they could actually pass on first down instead of giving Larry no chance everytime on first down. The big key is athleticism on defense with OSU transfer Bell. MVP of the league Kona , and Operanozie being about as good as you can at this level. I think that sniff at 9-2 puts them over the top this year plus they dont lose at home and have beaten some good teams on road Monmouth, Bryant, wagner, Sacred Heart. Love the fact we have a 4 year starter at rb and a 3 year starter that has played 4 years at QB. Nobody else has that. The NEC has that one intangible though....................weather!!!!! You never know!!! Good luck to all.

busybee14
February 10th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Wagner is going to be much different in 2012 then its mediocre celler dweller years of the past.maybe I'm looking thru slightly rose colored glasses but the Seahawwks won't look the same this year. With coach hall back, the d should return to a quick, heavy blitz unit led by pro prospect Lombardo at LB.Dbs have been revamped and looking to continue what was started the last part of the 11 season with take aways very quick. On offense Dom will be back pounding the rock with a much improved line.Wr corps are solid no drop off and may get Crawford back for a 5th, but a big difference should be who can get them the ball. I would not be surprised if Doescher either splits time or looses out the position flat out to one of the 2 strong armed transfer qbs that are now on board.(one was with the team last season and couldn't play due to transfer rules but is a straight up baller both running and throwing )Special teams will also be greatly improved.With the new coaching in place this should be a fun year.alot of new parts to mix with some good signing classes and transfer kids.looking for a real competitive team this season.

blackbeard
February 10th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I see it as Duquesne, Bryant and Albany fighting for the top slot, clearly the class of the NEC in 2011 and should be again.

Love for everyone to keep overlooking SHU. We played Albany neck-and-neck on the road in the last game of the season when they had everything to play for and SHU was only playing for pride - SHU played that entire game with 4 true freshmen DBs. SHU is returning 14 starters and 35 off the 2 deep depth chart, add to that a pre-season all-conference Senior DB who missed the '11 season and took a medical redshirt and will be returning for '12. First few games of 2011 were pretty ugly with a new QB but once that got settled the offense started clicking pretty well. Returning almost all the skill guys, have to replace a few OL and LBs which was the focus of recruiting, good depth at DL last year will replace a couple of Seniors. Solid road wins at CCSU and RMU last year, played its best competition down the stretch and took it on the chin but was in each of those games. Expect more improvement in 2012.

M Ruler
February 10th, 2012, 01:06 PM
On offense, maybe. On defense Albany loses three linemen (Delaney, Gallo, and Wargo) and three from the secondary (Harper, Ciccarello, and Hassan). A lot to replace on that side of the ball.

Bryant has beaten Albany the last two years, and their game is back in RI this year. Plus Albany is spending a LOT of time on the bus this year.

The good news for UA on Defense is they rotated players along the D line last season and when Delaney was out for 2 games his replacement played well. They will be heavier/bigger than years past this season. Gallo was good and athletic but was light at 250lbs. Delany was light at 250lbs. The younger guys on the roster are bigger. Not sure if that means better. In the secondary we will really miss Cicarello. He was a big hitter at Saftey. The CB's are all the same...they get beat week in and week out.

QB will be interesting. I hear Fiacchi has a great arm. I think they will use a platoon system. It is good to know we finally return to being a smash mouth O line. They will be big and experienced. Justin Anderson(I assume) 6-5 and 295lbs steps in and Migliore (I assume) 6-6 and 300 steps in at LT.

downbythebeach
February 10th, 2012, 02:35 PM
With Bell next year Duq is gonna be tough

MTfan4life
February 10th, 2012, 09:47 PM
1. Duquesne
2. Albany
3. Bryant
5. Monmouth
6. Robert Morris
7. Sacred Heart
8. Wagner
9. St.Francis

Way early but was bored love talking about the NEC..........a League that is getting better every year!!!

First the Week 1 upsets thread and now this. This is going to be a long 7 months for you man. :P

ngineer
February 11th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Lehigh hosting Monmouth in our opener this year and then travel to CCSU the following week, I think. Some good early measuring sticks.

DFW HOYA
February 11th, 2012, 02:52 PM
A few early thoughts:
(FYI - the NEC scholarship max this season is 38, next year it will be 40)

Ummm...what's the minimum?

danefan
February 11th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Ummm...what's the minimum?

No minimum.

UAalum72
February 12th, 2012, 12:35 PM
No minimum.

No minimum, but I'm pretty sure every team is at least in the mid-20s if not over 30.

Bogus Megapardus
February 12th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Lehigh hosting Monmouth in our opener this year and then travel to CCSU the following week, I think. Some good early measuring sticks.

Pard handlers will be supplying shouting points for NEC fans new to the anti-Lehigh experience.

401ks
February 12th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I am always reluctant to make predictions.

I will say one thing, however...

I truly believe that the Linebacker corps of Duquesne in the 2012 season will be the best in the NEC, and one of the best in the FCS. Throw in players like Serge Kona at Safety and the Dukes will have one heck of a defense.

It'll be pretty hard to beat Duquesne since it will be pretty hard to score on Duquesne.

But this is the NEC... Anything can happen.

GO DUKES!

xthumbsupx

alvinkayak6
February 12th, 2012, 09:05 PM
1. Albany
2. Bryant
3. Duquesne
5. Robert Morris
6. Monmouth
7. Sacred Heart
8. Wagner
9. St. Francis

1. Duquesne
2. Albany
3. Bryant
5. Monmouth
6. Robert Morris
7. Sacred Heart
8. Wagner
9. St.Francis

hidalgo
February 12th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Our season could be rotten and a bad seven months but you couldnt double my salary to live in Fargo, ND for seven days let alone seven months..........so its all good!!!!!