PDA

View Full Version : Leh/Laf Game At Yankee Stadium?

DFW HOYA
February 9th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Talk surfaces about moving the PL's officially protected rivalry game** to Yankee Stadium in 2014. Interesting premise if the money is there.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/lafayette_college_lehigh_unive_2.html

(**Regular games with Colgate-Holy Cross, Georgetown-Fordham on Week 12 frowned upon in Center Valley.)

RichH2
February 9th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I just read article. In reality idea started on Lafayette fan board. There was a thread on AGS, dicussing the possibilities of different venues for 150th. Could be kind of neat if they can work out the details

Bill
February 9th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Oh boy. I'm trying to picture the drunk masses wandering the streets of the Bronx, packing "Stan's" early in the AM... Getting the students there could be a logistical nightmare - if the students even go to the game anymore :)

RichH2
February 9th, 2012, 09:17 AM
If real, I would go for the Stadium. Heck we could actually tailgate w/o Campus cops. Other suggestions were Meadowlands or Franklin Field.

carney2
February 9th, 2012, 10:04 AM
2014 will be the 150th, in case you haven't been paying attention, and you can rest assured that something special will be done. Yankee Stadium however, appears to be an economic absurdity.

It's all moot anyway. The Mayan calendar says that number 148 will be the last.

RichH2
February 9th, 2012, 10:26 AM
2014 will be the 150th, in case you haven't been paying attention, and you can rest assured that something special will be done. Yankee Stadium however, appears to be an economic absurdity.

It's all moot anyway. The Mayan calendar says that number 148 will be the last.

Perhaps we should play all 3 that year

BisonHype!
February 9th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Is that game that big? Big enough to require a venue like that?

BlueHenSinfonian
February 9th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Why Yankee Stadium? Does that venue hold any special relevance to either school? It seems odd for two PA schools to travel to NYC for a game. The Linc would be more convenient for both fanbases, and has the benefit of actually being a football stadium. I guess it would depend on whether or not Temple had a home game that day.

RichH2
February 9th, 2012, 11:16 AM
No stretch that game would bring in somewhere between 30,000 to 40,000 fans. Even with extra seating neither school could fit more than 20,0000 or so. Stadium may be unrealistic because of cost but a similar venue in the Tri-State area would be as good , again if the $$$ could be worked out. At $50 a head there s/b enuf for somewhere

BisonHype!
February 9th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Who would give up a home game for it?

Bogus Megapardus
February 9th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Why Yankee Stadium? Does that venue hold any special relevance to either school? It seems odd for two PA schools to travel to NYC for a game. The Linc would be more convenient for both fanbases, and has the benefit of actually being a football stadium. I guess it would depend on whether or not Temple had a home game that day.

If in Philly, it likely would be at Franklin Field. Alums of both schools are all over the place, not just Philly and the Lehigh Valley, so the game really could be anywhere in the northeast. But I don't think there's a venue significant enough for Lafayette to give up the home game - except Yankee Stadium.

The game always sells out; I would imagine a target of 30,000 at Yankee Stadium would be obtainable without difficulty. Remember - this is the 150th game of college football's most-played rivalry. That's pretty significant.

I fully agree with other posters that the PL ought to step up to help distinguish other league rivalries, such as Holy Cross-Colgate and Georgetown-Fordham.

ngineer
February 9th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I think you'd get a bigger crowd at Franklin Field or CBP. NYC is a little bit of a nightmare getting to, nowhere to tailgate pregame, more logistical issues imo. Still not sold on taking it off campus though. If done, just shift the games and LC would then get 151. OTOH, if a particular amount of $ can be assured,then maybe LC doesn't care so long as it gets the $.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 9th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I'm sure I'll be tackling this one again. But I will say this:

* While I can't speak for Lafayette, Lehigh has a pretty large, active alumni base in NYC - bigger than people think. And when you extend that into downstate NY/upstate NJ/CT, it gets even larger.
* I've never been to the new Yankee Stadium, but old Yankee Stadium had, surprisingly, a lot of hidey holes for tailgating. I'd suspect that there might be more tailgate area than people think.

carney2
February 9th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Number 150 will be played in Easton, PA.

LUHawker
February 9th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Generally, I am all for anything that elevates the visibility and appeal of Lehigh-Lafayette. That being said, this game has never held national significance and by national, I mean that it is not widely followed outside the region (satellite parties, notwithstanding). This is a special game for the two schools and their respective alumni as well as for the Lehigh Valley. I think that it would be a bit of a slap in the face to all the alums and locals that have attended these games over the years and have helped raise this game to its intensity level to remove the game from the Lehigh Valley.

Publicity aside, I am not sure we collectively gain much from moving it to a venue in NYC or Philly, for that matter. For me personally, the idea of the University of Pennsylvania hosting the 150th version of Lehigh-Lafayette is utterly repugnant to me (as is Yankee Stadium - me being a Mets fan).

Lehigh-Lafayette has always been a game for the schools, the alums, their respective cities and the Lehigh Valley and to change that dynamic for the most visible game since the 100th was played, would be anathema to The Rivalry.

Bogus Megapardus
February 9th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Number 150 will be played in Easton, PA.

That's probably for the best. Lafayette could pack 20,000 +/- in there if they really wanted to. Spend the $$$ to bring Madonna in for halftime instead.

van
February 9th, 2012, 03:59 PM
That's probably for the best. Lafayette could pack 20,000 +/- in there if they really wanted to. Spend the $$$ to bring Madonna in for halftime instead.

Better yet, bring in MIA to wave to the pards. I'd chip in for that.

Go...gate
February 9th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Generally, I am all for anything that elevates the visibility and appeal of Lehigh-Lafayette. That being said, this game has never held national significance and by national, I mean that it is not widely followed outside the region (satellite parties, notwithstanding). This is a special game for the two schools and their respective alumni as well as for the Lehigh Valley. I think that it would be a bit of a slap in the face to all the alums and locals that have attended these games over the years and have helped raise this game to its intensity level to remove the game from the Lehigh Valley.

Publicity aside, I am not sure we collectively gain much from moving it to a venue in NYC or Philly, for that matter. For me personally, the idea of the University of Pennsylvania hosting the 150th version of Lehigh-Lafayette is utterly repugnant to me (as is Yankee Stadium - me being a Mets fan).

Lehigh-Lafayette has always been a game for the schools, the alums, their respective cities and the Lehigh Valley and to change that dynamic for the most visible game since the 100th was played, would be anathema to The Rivalry.

Happy to know there are still a few of us die-hards left!

ngineer
February 9th, 2012, 09:14 PM

Lafayette finally gets a Tight End!!;):D

ngineer
February 9th, 2012, 09:14 PM

I'm leaning your way on this. Well stated.

ngineer
February 9th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Happy to know there are still a few of us die-hards left!

I hear they're going to rename Citi Field, "Jurassic Park"...

Pard4Life
February 9th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Game 150 should be, will be, in Easton. This rumor was started by Lehigh. You'd be lucky to get 20,000 in Yankee Stadium. And Franklin Field is a joke... why play it in the house of a rival??? Penn probably hosts Cornell anyway. A neutral field changes the dynamic of the game. Pass.

DFW HOYA
February 9th, 2012, 11:01 PM
A neutral field changes the dynamic of the game. Pass.

Doesn't seem to hurt Army-Navy, does it?

There's always room for change. Otherwise, this would still be the marquee game of the MAC College Division.

Pard4Life
February 9th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Doesn't seem to hurt Army-Navy, does it?

There's always room for change. Otherwise, this would still be the marquee game of the MAC College Division.

Army Navy is very different. The game has been at a neutral site since like, 1910... so it's tradition. The Cadets and Middies have been locked down on campus all year and can't wait to hit-up a city after the game. Plus, there are many vets and nearby naval yards. It's more than a football game really.

RichH2
February 10th, 2012, 08:45 AM
All hype aside, since it is a Pard Home game, it is really their decision whether or not to choose a different venue. Interesting that LoRe's article has been picked up around the country LA, Chicago Fl, etc etc. If nothing else nice PR for LU-LC and PL

Southsider
February 10th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Army Navy is very different. The game has been at a neutral site since like, 1910... so it's tradition. The Cadets and Middies have been locked down on campus all year and can't wait to hit-up a city after the game. Plus, there are many vets and nearby naval yards. It's more than a football game really.

And Lehigh/Lafayette isn't? I am for anything that would promote/enhance the game to a higher level. The marketing of the game, at whatever site, would do that.

RichH2
February 10th, 2012, 08:56 AM
And Lehigh/Lafayette isn't? I am for anything that would promote/enhance the game to a higher level. The marketing of the game, at whatever site, would do that.

Very true, just look at national play of LoRe's article just based on pure speculation. Still Pard's decision ultimately. Given their Admin's antipathy to football , think it unlikely Pards will go for anything that will put it on the front page.

ngineer
February 10th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Keith Groller of Morning Call (www.mcall.com/sports) had an opinion piece in today's paper against the idea. Inteviewed Sterrett, who said he and the LC AD had had 'discussions' about doing something "special", but said all the stuff about Yankee Stadium, etc. is nothing more than people running up trial balloons to see how people react. I think it should remain on campus. Bring in some extra stands to expand to 17,000 or so at Fisher, and have some special 'guests' or maybe even"Gameday", but keep it in the Valley.

DFW HOYA
February 10th, 2012, 01:47 PM
As long as Leh/Laf is on Week 12, ESPN is not coming to town--too many other big games to say no to.

So what would the schools did if the PL moved it to Week 6 to get ESPN to come and Lee Corso to wear the mascot's head? Or do these schools have a veto on such a move?

carney2
February 10th, 2012, 02:15 PM
As long as Leh/Laf is on Week 12, ESPN is not coming to town--too many other big games to say no to.

So what would the schools did if the PL moved it to Week 6 to get ESPN to come and Lee Corso to wear the mascot's head? Or do these schools have a veto on such a move?

Forget the TV people. This has been played on the weekend before Thanksgiving since the Van Buren administration. ESPN may be able to jerk the Big Least and the MAC around to get their scheduling, but neither side ( the schools nor ESPN) wants this bad enough to make something like you're suggesting happen.

One more time, and repeat after me if you're having trouble with this: The 150th edition of the Lafayette-Lehigh rivalry will be played at Lafayette College's Fisher Stadium in Easton, Pennsylvania on Saturday, November 22, 2014 at or near 1:00 PM. There will be TV, but probably not national TV of any real note or value. The stadium will be expanded (temporary seating) to handle some of the extra demand for tickets. There will be "special" things going on that will be of no concern to the football purists. The Sunday New York Times sports section will have a small article on the game. The winners will gloat. The losers will grouse. All shall immediately make plans for number 151.

Bogus Megapardus
February 10th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Or do these schools have a veto on such a move?

There is just one specific mention of the Lafayette-Lehigh game in the PL by-laws:

"The League will honor any agreements signed prior to Oct. 2007
and subsequent renewals with over-the-air network television
(i.e. CBS agreement for Army/Navy men's basketball game) and
hosted by a Patriot League institution, and the existing institutional
television commitments for the Lafayette-Lehigh football game."

NB: for you Squawkers out there, please observe that the Patriot League By-Laws OFFICIALLY refer to it as the "Lafayette-Lehigh Game," not the "Lehigh-Lafayette Game." We can now close the book on this discussion for ever after. We expect full compliance out of the Featherheads, lest you risk league sanction.

carney2
February 10th, 2012, 02:36 PM
NB: for you Squawkers out there, please observe that the Patriot League By-Laws OFFICIALLY refer to it as the "Lafayette-Lehigh Game," not the "Lehigh-Lafayette Game." We can now close the book on this discussion for ever after. We expect full compliance out of the Featherheads, lest you risk league sanction.

It's simple common sense based on the alphabet. Consult the picture book from your senior level "How to Read" course.

Bogus Megapardus
February 10th, 2012, 02:40 PM
It's simple common sense based on the alphabet. Consult the picture book from your senior level "How to Read" course.

Somebody has to inform that Lehigh shill, Groller:

http://www.mcall.com/sports/columnists/groller/mc-keith-groller-lehigh-lafayette-0209-20120209,0,2930088.column

He got it wrong again.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM
My thoughts on this developing story:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/02/engineers-leopards-at-home-of-yankees.html

Nuanced, as always.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM

We'll let you keep the official wordings in PL literature - we'll take the wins. How's that? :P

carney2
February 10th, 2012, 03:13 PM
We'll let you keep the official wordings in PL literature - we'll take the wins. How's that? :P

Lafayette leads 76-65-5. Did I miss something?

The Historian
February 10th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Lafayette leads 76-65-5. Did I miss something?

Yes, this year's game, it 76-66-5.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 10th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Yes, this year's game, it 76-66-5.

Remembering the highlights from this past November, I can see why. xlolx

van
February 10th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Remembering the highlights from this past November, I can see why. xlolx

There were no Easton highlights to remember.

van
February 10th, 2012, 05:25 PM
And it's Lehigh-Lafayette. Only a Pard would use the PL office as a reference for anything.

ngineer
February 10th, 2012, 08:47 PM
And it's Lehigh-Lafayette. Only a Pard would use the PL office as a reference for anything.

+1

Your school is always first.

ngineer
February 10th, 2012, 08:47 PM

+1

Your school is always first.

Pard4Life
February 11th, 2012, 08:04 AM
There is just one specific mention of the Lafayette-Lehigh game in the PL by-laws:

"The League will honor any agreements signed prior to Oct. 2007
and subsequent renewals with over-the-air network television
(i.e. CBS agreement for Army/Navy men's basketball game) and
hosted by a Patriot League institution, and the existing institutional
television commitments for the Lafayette-Lehigh football game."

Thank you! I'm glad someone has finally picked up on this. It is LAFAYETTE-Lehigh.

1) Our program is older
2) We started the rivalry
3) We have more wins

Pard4Life
February 11th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Forget the TV people. This has been played on the weekend before Thanksgiving since the Van Buren administration. ESPN may be able to jerk the Big Least and the MAC around to get their scheduling, but neither side ( the schools nor ESPN) wants this bad enough to make something like you're suggesting happen.

One more time, and repeat after me if you're having trouble with this: The 150th edition of the Lafayette-Lehigh rivalry will be played at Lafayette College's Fisher Stadium in Easton, Pennsylvania on Saturday, November 22, 2014 at or near 1:00 PM. There will be TV, but probably not national TV of any real note or value. The stadium will be expanded (temporary seating) to handle some of the extra demand for tickets. There will be "special" things going on that will be of no concern to the football purists. The Sunday New York Times sports section will have a small article on the game. The winners will gloat. The losers will grouse. All shall immediately make plans for number 151.

Gee, do you have a Delorean with a flux capicitor?

btw the record attendance at Fisher Field is 21,000... in 1948.

carney2
February 11th, 2012, 09:06 AM
btw the record attendance at Fisher Field is 21,000... in 1948.

Interesting point. How many do you think they could cram in with the current configuration at Fisher? I'd be surprised if they could comfortably get it much above 17,000 or so.

Bogus Megapardus
February 11th, 2012, 09:11 AM
The Visitor's side at Fisher Field during construction in 1926. It was a LOT bigger.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1082/fishervisitorsside1926.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
February 11th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Interesting point. How many do you think they could cram in with the current configuration at Fisher? I'd be surprised if they could comfortably get it much above 17,000 or so.

If I were you guys, I'd be finding that out. Could you make extended stands above the visitor's stands? Seats on the grassy area?

In all seriousness, IMO I think you have to find room for at least 20,000 for the 150th. Ideally, 25,000 standing-room only. Otherwise, it's at risk of moving.

ngineer
February 11th, 2012, 01:58 PM
The Visitor's side at Fisher Field during construction in 1926. It was a LOT bigger.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1082/fishervisitorsside1926.jpg

Yes, I remember the odd shape of the visitor stands, looked like 'L'...(;-). Back then baseball was also played at Fisher and the stands created one 'L' of a "short porch". There was a line painted about 1/2 way up for a HR. Anything below was a groundrule double. My uncle played baseball for Delaware as a LH firstbaseman and had 3 ground rule doubles and a HR in a game there in the 50's.

Very tough to get 20,000 in there now with temporary bleachers.

BTW,you can't have a 'rivalry' without a partner, so it didn't start without us (;-)

Bill
February 11th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Lafayette guys / historians:

So what happened to the old visitor stands? Why did they look the way the did in the 80's/90's? Very curious...

carney2
February 11th, 2012, 03:54 PM

So what happened to the old visitor stands? Why did they look the way the did in the 80's/90's? Very curious...

The old stands had to be removed to make room for Kirby Sports Center, in particular, the wing that houses the basketball court. I remember them as a backwards "L." The upper portion of the "L" was a mirror of the home stands, going up 60 rows or so.

DFW HOYA
February 11th, 2012, 06:39 PM

Soudns like a good prediction. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 11th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I just wanted to say I enjoy the new "awards" - and the color scheme for "Reigning Champ: FCS Talk". :D

And I also wanted to say that I really did vote for Bogus! :)

Engineer86
February 12th, 2012, 07:51 AM
If I were you guys, I'd be finding that out. Could you make extended stands above the visitor's stands? Seats on the grassy area?

In all seriousness, IMO I think you have to find room for at least 20,000 for the 150th. Ideally, 25,000 standing-room only. Otherwise, it's at risk of moving.

Yea, I would pass on sitting in any "extended" seats above the visitors stands. At the game and in the stadium, yes, but up high in temporary stands with fellow drunks, no thanks. xawesomexxeekx

carney2
February 12th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Yea, I would pass on sitting in any "extended" seats above the visitors stands. At the game and in the stadium, yes, but up high in temporary stands with fellow drunks, no thanks. xawesomexxeekx

Here's one more vote against high wire acts in temporary stands. The "regular" temporaries can be bad enough. Once, in the temps on the visitor's side at old Taylor Stadium, we were in the top row and the wooden slat that was the floor board was not properly installed. If you stood up. you were going straight through. Of course, everyone in our section stood when anything exciting occurred, so we saw nothing. We left in the 1st quarter to find a bar with a TV. Not a big fan of the temps.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 12th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Would it be possible to move the game to Coca-Cola park for a couple of years, with temporary stands of some sort to have it support more than 20,000 fans? I know it's a small stadium (official seating capacity: 9,800), but perhaps someone smarter than me could think of a way to expand the seating to an acceptable level?

Before anyone sits there and says "the Lehigh guy is trying to screw Lafayette out of a home game," note I said two years.

Pard4Life
February 12th, 2012, 11:08 AM
WE ARE NOT MOVING THE GAME!!! ENOUGH!!

Pard4Life
February 12th, 2012, 11:19 AM

The stands you are referring to were constructed in the 1970s. They were demolished in 2006 during the new Fisher rehab and upgrade. They were dangerous and crumbling.

The stands in the photo above were part of the original 1926 construction. They were 55-60 rows high because they were supposed to encircle the field and match the height of the home stands, which are presently 55-60 rows high. So, Fisher was never actually finished. It was intended to seat 37,000 and modeled after Syracuse's old stadium and Harvard Stadium in a horseshoe layout. However they were racing to finish the stadium for the start of the 1926 season, which is why you have the look of the field above. They were going to complete the stadium depending upon if the Washington & Jefferson and Lehigh games sold out. They did not, and questions were raised about capacity. The Depression soon hit and that was that.

Bogus Megapardus
February 12th, 2012, 12:09 PM
You'd have to put decent aluminum stands all the way around, including across the front of Bourger. Very high quality temporary stands can easily go up 20-30 rows or more. It would cost, and you have to do it right with some significant planning, but you could increase the capacity to 20,000, I'd imagine. Parking would be a challenge - lots of shuttle buses form the shopping center up on Sullivan Trail.

A spectacular, really big-name halftime act with some sort of ties to the Lehigh Valley or the Patriot League might really help. Maybe call on big time Hollywood producer/Lafayette alum Joel Silver to help out with that.

carney2
February 12th, 2012, 01:12 PM
You'd have to put decent aluminum stands all the way around, including across the front of Bourger. Very high quality temporary stands can easily go up 20-30 rows or more. It would cost, and you have to do it right with some significant planning, but you could increase the capacity to 20,000, I'd imagine. Parking would be a challenge - lots of shuttle buses form the shopping center up on Sullivan Trail.

A spectacular, really big-name halftime act with some sort of ties to the Lehigh Valley or the Patriot League might really help. Maybe call on big time Hollywood producer/Lafayette alum Joel Silver to help out with that.

I'm already thinking that 2014 might be a great year to stay home and watch it on TV. Manhattans, martinis, civilized snacks, refills of everything, no lines at the John, no parking or tailgating problems, replays with (hopefully) knowledgeable commentary, and no weather concerns. Starting to sound good.

Pard4Life
February 12th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I think almost everything with new Fisher is nearly perfect, but one area in which they erred was capacity. They cut it by 500 seats. I thought they should have expanded it to at least 15,000. But, we should not be too concerened about capacity because we want to drum up demand. As in sell out and people clamoring for a ticket. If you want to get to 20,000 take into account the visitor stands... I think they hold about 3500. As you can imagine, it would be very difficult to add even double those seats.

Pard4Life
February 12th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I'm already thinking that 2014 might be a great year to stay home and watch it on TV. Manhattans, martinis, civilized snacks, refills of everything, no lines at the John, no parking or tailgating problems, replays with (hopefully) knowledgeable commentary, and no weather concerns. Starting to sound good.

Oh come on carney! This is 2.5 years from now! Just get there early and park near March elementary.

carney2
February 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Oh come on carney! This is 2.5 years from now! Just get there early and park near March elementary.

But I already bought a bottle of bourbon. I'd hate to see it go to waste.

Engineer86
February 12th, 2012, 04:49 PM
My biggest issue with moving it is the logistical nightmare of getting the students there. Despite all the complaints of the student attendance, they are a key to to the atmosphere. I have even been known to give a beer to the leopard that begs the most through the bus window as they pull up.

It is also fun to watch the mad dash for the corn fields at Lehigh, can you imagine the 2 hour bus ride? The better ditch the school buses for greyhounds and bathrooms.

Pard4Life
February 12th, 2012, 08:06 PM
My biggest issue with moving it is the logistical nightmare of getting the students there. Despite all the complaints of the student attendance, they are a key to to the atmosphere. I have even been known to give a beer to the leopard that begs the most through the bus window as they pull up.

It is also fun to watch the mad dash for the corn fields at Lehigh, can you imagine the 2 hour bus ride? The better ditch the school buses for greyhounds and bathrooms.

Party bus!

Go...gate
February 12th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Play the game at Georgetown! xrotatehxxeekxxcoachx :D

ngineer
February 12th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Play the game at Georgetown! xrotatehxxeekxxcoachx :D

No way...we want to be able to tape the game for posterity.

Pard4Life
February 12th, 2012, 11:46 PM
No way...we want to be able to tape the game for posterity.

Not a problem since Fios has tape delay, but it is a problem for our telecast parties.

Bogus Megapardus
February 13th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Fios has tape delay.

But does it? You know that the Lafayette/Georgetown game STILL hasn't been broadcast, right? We were denied live coverage just so Georgetown could maintain its "exclusive" right to broadcast the game, and then it never did so.

If we hold the Lafayette/Lehigh game in D.C, it would have to be under the Cone of Silence.

http://www.infosecurity.us/storage/images-2/rsa-cone-of-silence.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=13021976925 03

DFW HOYA
February 13th, 2012, 07:58 AM
But does it? You know that the Lafayette/Georgetown game STILL hasn't been broadcast, right? We were denied live coverage just so Georgetown could maintain its "exclusive" right to broadcast the game, and then it never did so.

Lest this become some sort of AGS urban legend, that game was likely broadcast overnight or at some odd hour on FiOs, which doesn't reach that many people but paid for the rights to do as they, not Georgetown University, saw fit.

It would be great if there was a TV carrier that paid to broadcast Georgetown football to an audience that wasn't hard-wired to a single telephone company, just as much as it would be great to have a home field that actually was completed as promised. Absent either, you make do.

Bogus Megapardus
February 13th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Lest this become some sort of AGS urban legend, that game was likely broadcast overnight or at some odd hour on FiOs, which doesn't reach that many people but paid for the rights to do as they, not Georgetown University, saw fit.

Way back when, on the day of the game, I set an "alert" on the on-line FiOS schedule to notify me when and if this game was broadcast. It has NEVER aired. The game is rapidly acquiring urban legend status, but it is true.

Georgetown entered into an arms-length contract with FiOS. Georgetown agreed, as much as did FiOS, to terms that dictated sending the LSN cameras, crew and broadcasters home packing. And it was Georgetown, at the end of the day, that enforced that provision.

A school unfairly kept out of the playoffs has been "Woffed." Likewise, from now on, a school unfairly denied a chance to watch its team play has been "Hoyaed."

PAllen
February 13th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Thank you! I'm glad someone has finally picked up on this. It is LAFAYETTE-Lehigh.

2) We started the rivalry

How exactly does one start a rivalry by themselves?

I can't wait for this one.

DFW HOYA
February 13th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Way back when, on the day of the game, I set an "alert" on the on-line FiOS schedule to notify me when and if this game was broadcast. It has NEVER aired. The game is rapidly acquiring urban legend status, but it is true.

" Saturday's game will be televised locally on Verizon Fios1 with Dave McHugh providing the play-by-play and Brandon Small adding analysis."

Unless you're in the DC area, and were a FiOs customer, you weren't going to get the feed.

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090911aaa.html

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I'm going to have to check my Fios1 VOD menu and see if this mythical game is up there.

Pard4Life
February 13th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I love this! It's never going to end. I want to pound Georgetown more than ever this year not because we lost two in a row, but because they screwed us on the TV arrangement.

Bogus Megapardus
February 13th, 2012, 12:12 PM
" Saturday's game will be televised locally on Verizon Fios1 with Dave McHugh providing the play-by-play and Brandon Small adding analysis."

Unless you're in the DC area, and were a FiOs customer, you weren't going to get the feed.

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090911aaa.html

I very specifically recall reading that, which prompted me to find out about FiOS broadcast areas and to set the program alert. A couple of other Hoya games were delay-broadcast on FiOS in the Hoboken, NJ area, but the Lafayette/Georgetown game NEVER aired, despite the contrary representation by guhoyas.com.

Think of it this way - the Hoyas want a nice, spitballin' football rivalry, complete with conspiracy theories, hyperbolic accusation and incendiary message board material?

Now you've got one. I suggest you take advantage. You can start by dragging your sorry team out of Easton with a fat goose-egg, come October.

LU90
February 13th, 2012, 12:40 PM
How exactly does one start a rivalry by themselves?

I can't wait for this one.

I was curious about that as well. Remember, it's Lafayette, logic and reasoning escapes their faithful at times.

And it's Lehigh-Lafayette. It might have been Lafayette-Lehigh to your grandpappy, but you guys have only won 7 of the last 20 games and 26 of 67 since WWII. You've lost your right for top billing on the marquee.

DFW HOYA
February 13th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I very specifically recall reading that, which prompted me to find out about FiOS broadcast areas and to set the program alert. A couple of other Hoya games were delay-broadcast on FiOS in the Hoboken, NJ area, but the Lafayette/Georgetown game NEVER aired, despite the contrary representation by guhoyas.com.

Which proves the point--FiOS may rebroadcast a game here and there outside the market, but it's the exception and not the rule. No one thinks all these games are being picked up on FiOs systems nationwide, which is why Georgetown was careful to say "locally" for the game and not across the FiOS network.

Now, when FiOs outbids LSN for the exclusive rights to Leh/Laf #150, that'll be a topic!

Bogus Megapardus
February 13th, 2012, 12:51 PM
And it's Lehigh-Lafayette. It might have been Lafayette-Lehigh to your grandpappy, but you guys have only won 7 of the last 20 games and 26 of 67 since WWII. You've lost your right for top billing on the marquee.

Army - Navy

Harvard - Yale

Lafayette - Lehigh

It's never been otherwise. The Patriot League By-Laws, voted upon and approved by all institutions including yours, says so. If you're going to adhere to the By Laws when it comes to the terms and provisions of winning and accepting the PL trophy, then you're going to have to accept those By Laws when it comes to nomenclature as well.

You can't be a cafeteria By Law-follower. It's all or nothing.

Bogus Megapardus
February 13th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Which proves the point--FiOS may rebroadcast a game here and there outside the market, but it's the exception and not the rule. No one thinks all these games are being picked up on FiOs systems nationwide, which is why Georgetown was careful to say "locally" for the game and not across the FiOS network.

There were three FiOS1 markets at the time - Potomac, Northern New Jersey and Long Island. I checked them all.