PDA

View Full Version : Deriso On BCA Name Change

TexasTerror
June 5th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Okay, stop with all the hating from the other thread. I want a mature, legit discussion about this. This comes from SWAC/Grambling guru Nick Deriso and his blog.

If anything, I think this is an olive branch from the BCA that there are minority issues across the board, both in coaching and the administration. Having worked at an HBCU and done some work for another, it is great to have a diverse point of view available. I think the same can be said about PWCs. We all bring lots to the table, regardless of race and ethnicity, so while people should not feel forced to hire minorities, there should be not one reason to avoid it...

-----------

By any other name
Talk at the recently completed Black Coaches Association conference was dominated by a proposed name change to something more inclusive.

Grambling coach Melvin Spears, who attended the Miami event with interim GSU athletics director Duer Sharp, said he was all for it.

"There's not a line or a barrier for me," said Spears, who has hired two white assistants over the past two seasons. "I'm not about exclusion. I will hire the guy who works best within our system, regardless."

BCA board members believe the group could increase membership by as much as half by evolving the group into something called either Diverse Coaches and Administrators or the Diverse Coaches and Administrators Association. That would allow non-coaches and other minorities outside of the traditional African-American base to participate.

An announcement from the board is is expected after members are given the rest of the month to discuss the matter.

Whatever happens with the name, Spears doesn't expect the central mission of the group to change.

"It may help with membership, and we all know it takes numbers to really have a voice," said Spears, while playing in the Shack Harris-Doug Williams celebrity golf tournament on Monday in Bossier City. "There aren't enough minority coaches out there."

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/2006/06/by-any-other-name.html