PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider: BCS Caliber Talent to Georgia Southern

blueballs
February 7th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Georgia Southern showed the nation that its option attack could move the ball against an elite defense when the Eagles amassed 302 rushing yards (7.7 average) against Alabama on Nov. 19. On Wednesday, the program added three BCS-caliber skill players to its roster....

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post/_/id/9252/more-weapons-headed-to-georgia-southern

Professor Chaos
February 7th, 2012, 11:23 AM
If nothing else, Vegas Harley is already a 1st team All-American when it comes to names in the FCS.

danefan
February 7th, 2012, 11:25 AM
If nothing else, Vegas Harley is already a 1st team All-American when it comes to names in the FCS.

Hey we got a running back this year named Power Lawrence.

He's up there.

blueballs
February 7th, 2012, 12:57 PM

This is Georgia Southern's projected depth chart at QB for 2012:

Ezayi Youyoute
Prince McJunkins
Vegas Harley

seantaylor
February 7th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I think McKinnon will be the starter. I know he can play defense, but he's the best athlete in the conference. I want him touching the ball on every snap.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 7th, 2012, 05:17 PM

I started an "All FCS Name List" thread a couple of years back on CS and when I saw the name Vegas Harley I thought I should restart that over here. I just forgot to do it.

AppAlum2003
February 7th, 2012, 05:44 PM
App had/has a linebacker named Cougar Norris. I cannot confirm nor deny any relation to Mr. Norris.

Skjellyfetti
February 7th, 2012, 05:49 PM
UNCCC added 21 BCS-caliber prospects.

R3TRO
February 7th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I'm sorry but Prince McJunkins has to be one of the greatest names I have ever heard.

Eaglesrus
February 7th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I'm sorry but Prince McJunkins has to be one of the greatest names I have ever heard.

Yeah, I think that alone was enough for us to offer him a scholarship to come to GSU all the way from Oklahoma.

BisonFan02
February 7th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Are they southern fast?

ASU_Fanatic
February 7th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Are they southern fast?

Sec speed

Twentysix
February 7th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Are they southern fast?

They have UND crazy speed™.

Drblankstare
February 7th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Im going with Prince Mcjunkins. The Mcjunkins part wins it. Though Vegas Harley is a damn fine name too.... This is a tough one. Im thinking we need a poll to decide such an important question.

Eaglesrus
February 7th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Im going with Prince Mcjunkins. The Mcjunkins part wins it. Though Vegas Harley is a damn fine name too.... This is a tough one. Im thinking we need a poll to decide such an important question.

I think our all time greatest individual name will always be Earthwind Moreland, but we are well on the way to putting together our best overall team of names.

NDB
February 7th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Prince's parents missed a golden opportunity to name him Push.

Hammerhead
February 7th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Too bad they could only put up 186 net yards rushing vs. NDSU. :)

rbostic278
February 7th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Really...really

Blue Eagle
February 7th, 2012, 10:23 PM

NDSU had the best defense in the FCS and played very well against the Eagles! If you think you saw Ga. Southern offensively at their best you are very mistaken!

Ga Southern played one of if not their worse game of year against NDSU! If Southern had played as well offensively against NDSU as they did against Alabama the Eagles would have certainly gained more than 186 yds.

Be thankful y'all did not see Ga. Southern's offense at its best!

Enjoy your National Championship because NDSU may have to come through Statesboro next year!

frozennorth
February 8th, 2012, 06:00 AM
NDSU had the best defense in the FCS and played very well against the Eagles! If you think you saw Ga. Southern offensively at their best you are very mistaken!

Ga Southern played one of if not their worse game of year against NDSU! If Southern had played as well offensively against NDSU as they did against Alabama the Eagles would have certainly gained more than 186 yds.

Enjoy your National Championship because NDSU may have to come through Statesboro next year!

i wonder if that poor offensive performance might have something to do with playing a good defense that actually bothered to show up.

The Eagle's Cliff
February 8th, 2012, 07:12 AM

He's actually Prince McJunkins, Jr. Prince McJunkins, Sr. set records at Wichita St from '79-'82. http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7500&ATCLID=651360

boonegoon
February 8th, 2012, 10:16 AM

I think Getof would have been cool too.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 8th, 2012, 10:41 AM
From what I'm hearing from people in the know, McJunkins (sp?) will be hard to beat out for the starting position next year. He's a cerebral player and is also very nimble.

That's the one thing that we lacked with Jaybo, and IMO. if we get that fast and nimble QB who understands the offense as well as some more speed at wideout to stop bothersome safeties our offense should be hell on wheels.

blueballs
February 8th, 2012, 03:38 PM
In 1999 GSU had a all-name defensive backfield of Earthwind Moreland & Kiwaukee Thomas at corners, and Arkee Thompson at safety. Voncielles Allen played nose tackle. Moreland & Thomas made the NFL and Allen & Thompson were all americans.

This years signing class for GSU has Dequan, Daquan, Montay, Deonte, Devonte, Deshawntee, Tre, Tay, Jamal, Diego, Shun, Vegas, Nardo, and Ironhead.

Now those names just reek of athleticism and speed, as well as a nightmare for journalists and announcers.

I-16Bandit
February 8th, 2012, 03:39 PM
In 1999 GSU had a all-name defensive backfield of Earthwind Moreland & Kiwaukee Thomas at corners, and Arkee Thompson at safety. Voncielles Allen played nose tackle. Moreland & Thomas made the NFL and Allen & Thompson were all americans.

This years signing class for GSU has Dequan, Daquan, Montay, Deonte, Devonte, Deshawntee, Tre, Tay, Jamal, Diego, Shun, Vegas, Nardo, and Ironhead.

Now those names just reek of athleticism and speed, as well as a nightmare for journalists and announcers.

Shhhhhh! Don't wake the sleeping NDSU crowd with that word!

BisonFan02
February 8th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Shhhhhh! Don't wake the sleeping NDSU crowd with that word!

Too late....the speed was assumed with the "BCS caliber" talent. Also, read previous reply.

GSU Eagle
February 8th, 2012, 08:10 PM
The NDSU game and a couple others over the last 2 years have definitely led GSU to try to get a little bigger for next year. We still recruit a good bit of speed but I have heard more than 1 GSU coach over the last 6 weeks talk about the need for us to get a little bigger on the DLine especially.

By the way whatever NDSU did on defense last year almost every FCS team would love to copy. I said it a month ago after the championship game but the NDSU defense was maybe the best FCS defense I have seen, and I have been following this level of football for a long time.

R3TRO
February 8th, 2012, 08:13 PM
From what I'm hearing from people in the know, McJunkins (sp?) will be hard to beat out for the starting position next year. He's a cerebral player and is also very nimble.

That's the one thing that we lacked with Jaybo, and IMO. if we get that fast and nimble QB who understands the offense as well as some more speed at wideout to stop bothersome safeties our offense should be hell on wheels.

I don't know much about GSU football but I do know that I have a favorite player on your team. I hope Prince McJunkins wins the starting role so I can cheer for him.

Hammerhead
February 8th, 2012, 08:18 PM
It's hard to top these names. :)

http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/picture/PROUPNOOB/football-jersey-lastnames.jpg

Are these Montana jerseys???

http://2pep.com/funny%20pics/laughing%20humorous%20pictures/super_funny_cute%20images_6490e416dc57877512a2c65f 498990ea.jpg

Accelerati Incredibilus
February 8th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Georgia Southern showed the nation that its option attack could move the ball against an elite defense when the Eagles amassed 302 rushing yards (7.7 average) against Alabama on Nov. 19. On Wednesday, the program added three BCS-caliber skill players to its roster....

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post/_/id/9252/more-weapons-headed-to-georgia-southern

Too bad the writer didn't do a little research on ASU's class. If so he would have found Mountaineer signees that held offers from UNC, Ga Tech, WF, Indiana, Minnesota, Cincinnati, Rice, Marshall, Southern Miss, Navy and Air Force. If these recruiting classes are any indication the ASU GSU rivalry should be fun to watch the next four years.

DJKyR0
February 8th, 2012, 09:22 PM
It's hard to top these names. :)

Challenge accepted.

http://www.lolroflmao.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/short-white-cox-basketball.jpg

Just trust me this is real, don't google it. Especially with safe search off. xeyebrowx

MTfan4life
February 8th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Are these Montana jerseys???

http://2pep.com/funny%20pics/laughing%20humorous%20pictures/super_funny_cute%20images_6490e416dc57877512a2c65f 498990ea.jpg

Not even close. That'd be like me looking at a Michigan State uniform and asking if it was NDSU.

pike51
February 9th, 2012, 09:20 AM
http://chzupnextinsports.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/128971659443382733.jpg

http://www.unquality.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/razorbackphoto11.jpg

http://www.unquality.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/coke_head_football.jpg

parr90
February 10th, 2012, 09:29 PM

Can't argue with that and props to you guys, but I have to say that the GSU team you faced this year wasn't one of our better ones. Yeah we made it to the simis but this was only our second year back running the option and we were still decent. We still have players that were recruited to play in a completely different offense. Plus its all about the matchup. You guys had a great team this year no doubt. We will win # 7 in the next 2 years. Where we usually do well against bigger teams, this years team couldn't handle yalls size. This team didn't have the size to handle your big boys. I think our new coach is doing a good job early in getting the type of players that fit in our system.

BisonFan02
February 10th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Can't argue with that and props to you guys, but I have to say that the GSU team you faced this year wasn't one of our better ones. Yeah we made it to the simis but this was only our second year back running the option and we were still decent. We still have players that were recruited to play in a completely different offense. Plus its all about the matchup. You guys had a great team this year no doubt. We will win # 7 in the next 2 years. Where we usually do well against bigger teams, this years team couldn't handle yalls size. This team didn't have the size to handle your big boys. I think our new coach is doing a good job early in getting the type of players that fit in our system.

#20 Colten Heagle - 5'11" 195lbs...but point taken. :D

Eaglesrus
February 12th, 2012, 02:52 PM
#20 Colten Heagle - 5'11" 195lbs...but point taken. :D

He had a GREAT game, but I'm thinking it wouldn't have been quite as good without the other 10 guys :D

BisonFan02
February 12th, 2012, 04:52 PM
He had a GREAT game, but I'm thinking it wouldn't have been quite as good without the other 10 guys :D

Agreed. It takes good team/assignment defense to stop the TO.

eaglewraith
February 12th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Agreed. It takes good team/assignment defense to stop the TO.

Three major factors in that game:

1) WTF Colten Heagle....if i never hear that name again it'll be too soon

2) The DL was fantastic at swatting off cut blocks and pursuing into the backfield

3) The crowd noise made us change our tempo on offense and we were unable to get the push off the line like we had in the latter part of the season

Add to this a very solid effort by the NDSU offense, great play by the rest of their defense, and some questionable decisions by our coaching staff and you get what happened.

R3TRO
February 12th, 2012, 09:37 PM
MCJUNKINS!

straightshooter
February 12th, 2012, 10:02 PM
A GSU QB who can step off a sub-4.4 40 will quickly neutralize the effectiveness of a strong safety coming up to tackle him before he gets to the pitch level of the option. As good as Shaw was at making the right reads, he was two to three steps slower getting to the pitch level than the future Eagle QBs will be. That extra burst was what gave former QBs like Jayson Foster, Chaz Williams and Greg Hill a chance to put up big rushing numbers in the offense. With that kind of speed at the QB position, the GSU offense will look a lot different to opposing defenses in the future.

eagle07
February 13th, 2012, 01:53 PM
A GSU QB who can step off a sub-4.4 40 will quickly neutralize the effectiveness of a strong safety coming up to tackle him before he gets to the pitch level of the option. As good as Shaw was at making the right reads, he was two to three steps slower getting to the pitch level than the future Eagle QBs will be. That extra burst was what gave former QBs like Jayson Foster, Chaz Williams and Greg Hill a chance to put up big rushing numbers in the offense. With that kind of speed at the QB position, the GSU offense will look a lot different to opposing defenses in the future.

Agreed, I liked Jaybo, but he just didnt have it. I remember seeing Foster run all over the place in the time it takes Jaybo to get to the pitch, just always seemed kind of slow. Only draw back is we may have more fumbles, Jaybo was slow but very smart with the ball.

eaglewraith
February 13th, 2012, 02:31 PM
A GSU QB who can step off a sub-4.4 40 will quickly neutralize the effectiveness of a strong safety coming up to tackle him before he gets to the pitch level of the option.

Properly executed short passing game into the zone vacated by the DB that shifted over in run support for the strong safety coming up works too.

We could have torched NDSU with the short passing game and eventually they would have been FORCED to leave the option alley open.

CropDuster
February 13th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Agreed, I liked Jaybo, but he just didnt have it. I remember seeing Foster run all over the place in the time it takes Jaybo to get to the pitch, just always seemed kind of slow. Only draw back is we may have more fumbles, Jaybo was slow but very smart with the ball.

I disagree. Jaybo led us to the semi's two years in a row whereas Foster never even won a playoff game. What Jaybo lacked in running ability he more than made up for in passing and managing the game. Our coaching staff should have opened up the passing game against NDSU and App instead of continuing to force the run when the numbers weren't there.

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I disagree. Jaybo led us to the semi's two years in a row whereas Foster never even won a playoff game. What Jaybo lacked in running ability he more than made up for in passing and managing the game. Our coaching staff should have opened up the passing game against NDSU and App instead of continuing to force the run when the numbers weren't there.

That's the point I was going to make. I think the Eagles are going to sorely miss Shaw. Sure, they have some fantastic athletes to fill in, but at the end of the day, I don't think the Eagles appear in consecutive semi-finals without Shaw.

eagle07
February 13th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Don't get me wrong I liked jaybo, and im with you cropduster, coach should have opened up the playbook against ndsu and app because that is something jaybo has a major advantage with was passing. The looks were there, all im saying is jaybo lacked the speed to turn small holes into long runs. I also agree with paladin fan, I would not be surprised if we take a step back, we will surely have a lower completion percentage (probably more fumbles *cringe*) when we do pass unless someone surprises in camp.

seantaylor
February 14th, 2012, 12:51 AM

Foster was coached by two god awful coaches in Van Gorder and Hatcher. Foster under Monken would already have had us at least one national championship.

seantaylor
February 14th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Jaybo fumbled like crazy also. Jaybo was what we needed to transition, but Jaybo does not start for one other GSU option team in our history.

eaglewraith
February 14th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Foster was coached by two god awful coaches in Van Gorder and Hatcher. Foster under Monken would already have had us at least one national championship.

Foster became a better QB under Hatcher. He didn't just magically develop better passing skills that last year.

Hatcher was actually the best coach for Foster. He realized the importance of giving him the ball as many times as possible with simple reads.

eaglewraith
February 14th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Don't get me wrong I liked jaybo, and im with you cropduster, coach should have opened up the playbook against ndsu and app because that is something jaybo has a major advantage with was passing. The looks were there, all im saying is jaybo lacked the speed to turn small holes into long runs. I also agree with paladin fan, I would not be surprised if we take a step back, we will surely have a lower completion percentage (probably more fumbles *cringe*) when we do pass unless someone surprises in camp.

We had a metric buttload of fumbles this past year. Mainly cause Shaw pitched a LOT, and pitches have a higher percentage of being fumbled. I imagine you'll see more fumbles at the QB/B-Back mesh more so than on pitches. I imagine the number of pitches will be down as well.

PaladinFan
February 14th, 2012, 06:54 AM

Hatcher was not an awful coach.

I've said this before, but GSU decided to wreck their program, made a terrible hire in Van Gorder, then handed a program to Hatcher, asked him to run his air raid, with no quarterback, no receivers, and no linemen. Then he gets labeled as a bust because he didn't have success in two years.

And, lest we forget, he's turned a terrible Murray State program around and won a National Championship at Valdosta. That is to say, GSU haded him a train wreck and then fired him for not performing. He is clearly a good coach.

PaladinFan
February 14th, 2012, 06:57 AM

Not to be trite, but if you could have, you would have. GSU got beat by a better team.

The Eagle's Cliff
February 14th, 2012, 07:07 AM

I've said this before, but GSU decided to wreck their program, made a terrible hire in Van Gorder, then handed a program to Hatcher, asked him to run his air raid, with no quarterback, no receivers, and no linemen. Then he gets labeled as a bust because he didn't have success in two years.

And, lest we forget, he's turned a terrible Murray State program around and won a National Championship at Valdosta. That is to say, GSU haded him a train wreck and then fired him for not performing. He is clearly a good coach.

Nice Call! Hatcher stepped in to an impossible situation. He probably does need to dump his DC Anders, but Hatcher is obviously a quality coach. What appeared to be the bumblings of an incompetent AD proved to be lack of support and institutional control from an egotistical President Bruce Grube. Thankfully, we have our identity (option) back and quality coaches in our 3 major sports along with great support from President Brooks Keel's administration.

eaglewraith
February 14th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Nice Call! Hatcher stepped in to an impossible situation. He probably does need to dump his DC Anders, but Hatcher is obviously a quality coach. What appeared to be the bumblings of an incompetent AD proved to be lack of support and institutional control from an egotistical President Bruce Grube. Thankfully, we have our identity (option) back and quality coaches in our 3 major sports along with great support from President Brooks Keel's administration.

I agree he needs to lose Anders. When he won at Valdosta, he had guys like Will Muschamp, as well as Kirby Smart at one point I believe, as his DC's. That made a big difference.

He also needs to drop S&C Coach Jenkerson if he's still with him. That guy was awful.

Eaglesrus
February 14th, 2012, 08:15 AM

Not all, but many GA Southern fans, including myself, would say you got this right. Only thing you said that I have any problem with is the "labeled as a bust because he didn't have success in two years" part, and that only because it seems to indicate that to have been a blanket perception. I would say that labeling would only apply to the administration and maybe half the fan base, at most. Many of us were very unhappy with Hatcher's termination, both the timing and the way it was handled, even though most had come to believe that there was little chance that it would ever work out. In my opinion he should have been given more of an opportunity. On the other hand, I am, of course, very happy with what has happened since, so for the program it has turned out for the best. In fact, while the team's success pleases me greatly, I personally think that the best thing that has happened at GSU in the last couple of years is the change of president.

PaladinFan
February 14th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Not all, but many GA Southern fans, including myself, would say you got this right. Only thing you said that I have any problem with is the "labeled as a bust because he didn't have success in two years" part, and that only because it seems to indicate that to have been a blanket perception. I would say that labeling would only apply to the administration and maybe half the fan base, at most. Many of us were very unhappy with Hatcher's termination, both the timing and the way it was handled, even though most had come to believe that there was little chance that it would ever work out. In my opinion he should have been given more of an opportunity. On the other hand, I am, of course, very happy with what has happened since, so for the program it has turned out for the best. In fact, while the team's success pleases me greatly, I personally think that the best thing that has happened at GSU in the last couple of years is the change of president.

I can understand that, and I think GSU made a good choice going back to the option. It begs the question of why they even scrapped the offense in the first place.

I do think Hatcher would have been successful given time. I think Foster was a blessing and a curse. He was, for two years, virtually the entire Eagle offense, but simultaneously, I think he forced Hatcher to stick with a bizzare hybrid-high school type offense, which never would bring much success.

OrygunBison
February 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM

We had a good chant dedicated to that dude when I went to the Semi. I don't think he played but my buddy and I just couldn't help ourselves.

Eaglesrus
February 14th, 2012, 03:22 PM
We had a good chant dedicated to that dude when I went to the Semi. I don't think he played but my buddy and I just couldn't help ourselves.

He didn't play, he redshirted.

straightshooter
February 14th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I can understand that, and I think GSU made a good choice going back to the option. It begs the question of why they even scrapped the offense in the first place.

I do think Hatcher would have been successful given time. I think Foster was a blessing and a curse. He was, for two years, virtually the entire Eagle offense, but simultaneously, I think he forced Hatcher to stick with a bizzare hybrid-high school type offense, which never would bring much success.

Hatcher only coached Foster for one season. Van Gorder had him in '06 and basically neutered him as a part of the offense.

seantaylor
February 15th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Foster became a better QB under Hatcher. He didn't just magically develop better passing skills that last year.

Hatcher was actually the best coach for Foster. He realized the importance of giving him the ball as many times as possible with simple reads.

Crazy talk. Foster in the option is much better than Foster in that garbage Hatcher ran. It was all Foster improvising that year.

seantaylor
February 15th, 2012, 12:50 AM

Here we go again. It was all the liberal Grube's fault. Failed to mention that Sammy has been around now for 3 different presidents and has made multiple f ups to the highest degree under each.

Rekdiver
February 15th, 2012, 03:17 AM

Seriously? You are still makin excuses?

eaglewraith
February 15th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Crazy talk. Foster in the option is much better than Foster in that garbage Hatcher ran. It was all Foster improvising that year.

Foster in the option was much better....yet in 2007 Foster broke the NCAA all division single season rushing record for a QB. Lamar Lewis also having right at 1000 yards didn't help at all. I guess he just improvised the pass routes for his receivers as well.

You think you know everything but you don't know ****.

chattownmocs
February 15th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Lame article. Huggins doesn't have a BCS offer, and I'm seriously doubting the other 2 guys' offers were comittable. They are really good pulls for an FCS program but leave it to ESPN to go overboard.

blueballs
February 15th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Lame article. Huggins doesn't have a BCS article, and I'm seriously doubting the other 2 guys' offers were comittable. They are really good pulls for an FCS program but leave it to ESPN to go overboard.

Looks like the Orlando Sentinel is full of **** too...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-recruiting-st-cloud-hargrave-irving-huggins-georgia-southern-20120206,0,685004.story

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/lake/os-lk-vegas-harley-signs-20120206,0,3263083.story

chattownmocs
February 15th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Looks like the Orlando Sentinel is full of **** too...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-recruiting-st-cloud-hargrave-irving-huggins-georgia-southern-20120206,0,685004.story

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/lake/os-lk-vegas-harley-signs-20120206,0,3263083.story

These articles confirm my point

blueballs
February 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM
These articles confirm my point

And what was your point again? That Harley didn't have BCS offers???

From the Orlando Sentinel article: "Harley visited Memphis last weekend but selected Georgia Southern because of the opportunity to play quarterback at the NCAA Division I-AA school. He had nearly a dozen offers, including Illinois, USF and Iowa State."

chattownmocs
February 15th, 2012, 12:26 PM
And what was your point again? That Harley didn't have BCS offers???

From the Orlando Sentinel article: "Harley visited Memphis last weekend but selected Georgia Southern because of the opportunity to play quarterback at the NCAA Division I-AA school. He had nearly a dozen offers, including Illinois, USF and Iowa State."

No my point was pretty clear if you understand the way college football recruiting works. You did not beat out Illinois USF and Iowa State. You may have beaten out Memphis, but probably not.

blueballs
February 15th, 2012, 01:20 PM
No my point was pretty clear if you understand the way college football recruiting works. You did not beat out Illinois USF and Iowa State. You may have beaten out Memphis, but probably not.

Okay, whatever you say... after all, you are all wise and all knowing- in direct contrast to what his high school coach, the kid's parents, the kid himself, and Buddy Collings of the Sentinel all said.

chattownmocs
February 15th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Okay, whatever you say... after all, you are all wise and all knowing- in direct contrast to what his high school coach, the kid's parents, the kid himself, and Buddy Collings of the Sentinel all said.

The article is pretty clear that Georgia Southern is the only school that wanted him to play the position he wanted to play. My guess is Memphis wanted him as a corner.

But just so you don't make yourself look like a fool in the future, not every offer can actually be accepted.

blueballs
February 15th, 2012, 01:45 PM
The article is pretty clear that Georgia Southern is the only school that wanted him to play the position he wanted to play. My guess is Memphis wanted him as a corner.

But just so you don't make yourself look like a fool in the future, not every offer can actually be accepted.

And therein lies the problem... you don't know.

As far as anybody looking like a fool in these forums, you might want to take a look in the mirror- that is if you can stand it.

Skjellyfetti
February 15th, 2012, 03:20 PM
And therein lies the problem... you don't know.

Doesn't take a great leap to come to that conclusion.

Harley visited Memphis last weekend weekend of but selected Georgia Southern because of the opportunity to play quarterback at the NCAA Division I-AA school.

Because of his versatility, there were questions about where Harley would fit best at college. Many schools were looking at him as a defensive back, but Harley always preferred quarterback.

seantaylor
February 16th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Foster in the option was much better....yet in 2007 Foster broke the NCAA all division single season rushing record for a QB. Lamar Lewis also having right at 1000 yards didn't help at all. I guess he just improvised the pass routes for his receivers as well.

You think you know everything but you don't know ****.

Like bringing a spork to a gunfight. Hatcher's offense was not an offense at all. It was all Foster improvising. Yes, he put up great numbers. That's because he was the best player in the country. And we still didn't make the playoffs. Which tells you all you really need to know about that offense.

Besides, wraith. You just got off the couch.

PaladinFan
February 16th, 2012, 05:26 AM
Like bringing a spork to a gunfight. Hatcher's offense was not an offense at all. It was all Foster improvising. Yes, he put up great numbers. That's because he was the best player in the country. And we still didn't make the playoffs. Which tells you all you really need to know about that offense.

Besides, wraith. You just got off the couch.

Hatcher's offense, like his predecessors, utilizes the space on the field left by the defenses. Foster did not have the arm to utilize those spaces. Hatcher learned from Van Gorder's mistake-- give your best player the ball as often as possible. It just happened to be that Foster could not do what Hatcher needed him to do, so they had to improvise.

straightshooter
February 16th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I know Hatcher pretty well, and he told me to my face that Foster was the most talented player with the ball in his hand that he'd ever seen. He also said that he would have loved to have one more year with Jayson and the entire OL that left when he did.

Baldy
February 16th, 2012, 08:27 PM
These articles confirm, I'm ignorant.

Just confirming what everyone already knew. xcoffeex

seantaylor
February 17th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Hatcher's offense, like his predecessors, utilizes the space on the field left by the defenses. Foster did not have the arm to utilize those spaces. Hatcher learned from Van Gorder's mistake-- give your best player the ball as often as possible. It just happened to be that Foster could not do what Hatcher needed him to do, so they had to improvise.

Hatcher's offense got worse the more of his players came on board and the more of Sewak's players left. Guy is not a good coach. His entire offense consists of three plays.

PaladinFan
February 17th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Hatcher's offense got worse the more of his players came on board and the more of Sewak's players left. Guy is not a good coach. His entire offense consists of three plays.

Despite evidence knee deep to the contrary, you won't believe Hatcher is a good coach. Despite going 76-12 at Valdosta and playing for two national titles and completly turning around Murray State, you won't believe he's a good coach.

blueballs
February 17th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Despite evidence knee deep to the contrary, you won't believe Hatcher is a good coach. Despite going 76-12 at Valdosta and playing for two national titles and completly turning around Murray State, you won't believe he's a good coach.

I know the old saying that "you are what your record says you are" is true more times than not but you have to peel back the layers in Hatcher's case. At D-2 VSU he won with BCS transfer QB's Fabian Walker (FSU) and Dusty Bonner (UK), who really had no business playing at that level. His best defensive player during his run was a guy who got run off at GSU (Willie Johnson); again, a guy who had no business at VSU.

Hatcher's tenure at GSU saw player attrition become a HUGE problem, strength and conditioning become a HUGE problem, APR not get fixed, and the style of play and results were most "un-GSU like." The team wasn't tough, the program wasn't tough, and the program was trending downward. He also clashed with the administration (although I take his side in that issue) and is way better off not at GSU.

A good- not great- coach and certainly not the coach for GSU... GSU is SO much better off now under Monken and you could tell the difference literally the minute he (Monken) showed up on campus.

PaladinFan
February 17th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I know the old saying that "you are what your record says you are" is true more times than not but you have to peel back the layers in Hatcher's case. At D-2 VSU he won with BCS transfer QB's Fabian Walker (FSU) and Dusty Bonner (UK), who really had no business playing at that level. His best defensive player during his run was a guy who got run off at GSU (Willie Johnson); again, a guy who had no business at VSU.

Hatcher's tenure at GSU saw player attrition become a HUGE problem, strength and conditioning become a HUGE problem, APR not get fixed, and the style of play and results were most "un-GSU like." The team wasn't tough, the program wasn't tough, and the program was trending downward. He also clashed with the administration (although I take his side in that issue) and is way better off not at GSU.

A good- not great- coach and certainly not the coach for GSU... GSU is SO much better off now under Monken and you could tell the difference literally the minute he (Monken) showed up on campus.

That may all be true. But you're right, it doesn't make him a bad coach.

I can understand the "softness," but that's part of what you give up when you hire an air raid coach. When your defense does not have to face a running game week and and week out at practice, they will naturally not be as tough as they would otherwise be.

Case in point. GSU runs the triple option very successfully. They also have the league's worst pass defense, which I think, naturally follows. The leagues top four rushing teams (Wofford, GSU, The Citadel, and Furman) were also four of the five worst pass defenses. Might be random coincidence, but also might be because those defenses don't see quality receivers and passing games during practice. Same goes for the air raid. If you never have to take on a physcial fullback or tightend in practice, you sure aren't going to look good taking one on in a game.

seantaylor
February 17th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Lets not pretend Hatcher has turned Murray State around, either. They are in a terrible conference and are not really doing much. Hatcher will not win 7 games this year as most of his players are now on board. Watch the decline.

Boots
February 19th, 2012, 11:37 AM
NDSU won & was better team that day & best team in FCS 2011. To beat a great team like NDSU, you have to bring " A" game & not turn ball over. GSU didn't do that & lost. Their strategy & execution was superb. GSU's execution & adjustments were not. End of discussion.

Like GSU & ASU fans, the majority of NDSU fans are not arses like those who constantly post arrogant, idiotic & "baiting" comments on message boards. Despite the loss, I thought Fargo was great & loved the hospitality & passion of their community.

Hatcher is a good coach who did not enjoy the success he or anyone else expected at GSU. He will continue to have success as a college football coach & it would not surprise me if he does land a FBS job soon. And, yes, the previous president at GSU played a deciding factor in firing Hatcher. Not blaming Grube, but reiterating the known. I like Anders, but the strength & conditioning knucklehead Hatcher had is just that...a knucklehead. One of Hatcher's worse decisions when he took job at GSU.

Again, the obvious, Monken and the coaching staff at GSU is the best fit. Eagles should consistently be back in the FCS playoff & NC contender discussion annually. I think NDSU & ASU will be there for years to come as well.

Everyone has the greatest recruiting class ever with more speed & athleticism than they've ever had. Those teams who consistently make the playoffs, win conf titles, etc, have more credibility when boasting about the incoming signees. Fans from programs like UTC should wait until they've actually built a successful program &/or even competed for a conf title before bragging about how great they're going to be every year. My favorite Mocs highlights was watching their coach in post game pressers.

And, I noted that GSU has a signee at Safety named "Ironhead." If that's true, he has to be ranked in the discussion for best names.

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2012, 03:22 PM
NDSU won & was better team that day & best team in FCS 2011. To beat a great team like NDSU, you have to bring " A" game & not turn ball over. GSU didn't do that & lost. Their strategy & execution was superb. GSU's execution & adjustments were not. End of discussion.

Like GSU & ASU fans, the majority of NDSU fans are not arses like those who constantly post arrogant, idiotic & "baiting" comments on message boards. Despite the loss, I thought Fargo was great & loved the hospitality & passion of their community.

Hatcher is a good coach who did not enjoy the success he or anyone else expected at GSU. He will continue to have success as a college football coach & it would not surprise me if he does land a FBS job soon. And, yes, the previous president at GSU played a deciding factor in firing Hatcher. Not blaming Grube, but reiterating the known. I like Anders, but the strength & conditioning knucklehead Hatcher had is just that...a knucklehead. One of Hatcher's worse decisions when he took job at GSU.

Again, the obvious, Monken and the coaching staff at GSU is the best fit. Eagles should consistently be back in the FCS playoff & NC contender discussion annually. I think NDSU & ASU will be there for years to come as well.

Everyone has the greatest recruiting class ever with more speed & athleticism than they've ever had. Those teams who consistently make the playoffs, win conf titles, etc, have more credibility when boasting about the incoming signees. Fans from programs like UTC should wait until they've actually built a successful program &/or even competed for a conf title before bragging about how great they're going to be every year. My favorite Mocs highlights was watching their coach in post game pressers.

And, I noted that GSU has a signee at Safety named "Ironhead." If that's true, he has to be ranked in the discussion for best names.

That's just what his teachers called him. :)

Good post by the way.

parr90
February 24th, 2012, 03:49 PM

We were in a real mess during the Hatcher era. I think at some point he would have been successful but people werent going to wait that long. I think it was good to go back to the option as well but even this years team even though making it to the simis wasnt one of our better simis in the past teams. Monken has only had 2 recruiting classes and we were still playing with a bunch of Hatcher recruits. That wouldnt be so bad at Georgia where you wouldnt have so much change with a new coach normally, but going from the Texas Tech style O to the tripple option is a big change, especially in the type of athlete. I am almost wish we wouldnt have made it that far to lose to ND. I had a bad feeling about that game before we played and allthough I think ND had a really good football team, I also think that we basically got their on allot of talent alone, the next few years should be better when all the guys are on the same page and recruits fit the agenda.

seantaylor
February 25th, 2012, 12:13 AM
We were in a real mess during the Hatcher era. I think at some point he would have been successful but people werent going to wait that long. I think it was good to go back to the option as well but even this years team even though making it to the simis wasnt one of our better simis in the past teams. Monken has only had 2 recruiting classes and we were still playing with a bunch of Hatcher recruits. That wouldnt be so bad at Georgia where you wouldnt have so much change with a new coach normally, but going from the Texas Tech style O to the tripple option is a big change, especially in the type of athlete. I am almost wish we wouldnt have made it that far to lose to ND. I had a bad feeling about that game before we played and allthough I think ND had a really good football team, I also think that we basically got their on allot of talent alone, the next few years should be better when all the guys are on the same page and recruits fit the agenda.

Great point about Monken getting his own guys. This year's version of the Eagles will finally have that ultra elite speed we use to have. Going to be a great year.