PDA

View Full Version : OL FU's Best of Playoffs 2011

Mountaineer
February 6th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Welcome back to a new edition of OL FU's Best of Playoffs, version 2011. This year the spreadsheet has been uploaded to Google Documents for easier browsing.

First a few notes:

• A total of 71 current FCS teams have now participated over the course of the playoffs since 1978.

• Seven new teams joined the field for the 2011 season - Albany, Central Arkansas, Norfolk State, Old Dominion, Stony Brook, Tennessee Tech and Towson.

• Two teams, Texas State and UMass, have been removed and join the previous 19 teams that have since moved to FBS or discontinued their football program.

Points are assigned as follows:

First Round - 5
Second Round - 10
Quarterfinals - 15
Semifinals - 20
Championship - 25
Champions - 25

The total number of points available:

1978 - 1980: Semis/Finals (4 Teams) - 70 Points
1981 - Quarters/Semis/Finals (8 Teams) - 85 Points
1982 - 1985: First/Quarters/Semis/Finals (12 Teams) - 95 Points
1986 - 2009: First/Quarters/Semis/Finals (16 Teams) - 95 Points
2010 - Present: First/Second/Quarters/Semis/Finals (20 Teams) - 100 Points

OL FU's Best of Playoffs 2011 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&key=0AvHJfK4_Pa8jdC14MkZQb1FLaFg0dktGLXRRWTJ1OEE&hl=en_US&gid=0)

The spreadsheet has 14 separate pages. They are as follows:

1. Alpha - Teams in alphabetical order with points
2. All Time - Teams ranked by total number of points
3. Last 20 - Teams ranked by total points over the last 20 years
4. Last 15 - Teams ranked by total points over the last 15 years
5. Last 10 - Teams ranked by total points over the last 10 years
6. Last 5 - Teams ranked by total points over the last 5 years
7. First 10 - Teams ranked by total points over the first 10 years

A new feature started in 2010 and expanded this year is breaking down the number of points earned per playoff appearance.

8. Per 2 - Teams ranked per average points with at least two playoff appearances
9. Per 3 - Teams ranked per average points with at least three playoff appearances
10. Per 4 - Teams ranked per average points with at least four playoff appearances
11. Per 5 - Teams ranked per average points with at least five playoff appearances
12. Per 6 - Teams ranked per average points with at least six playoff appearances

13. Playoffs - List with the number of playoff appearances per team
14. Former - List of former teams and the points earned

Enjoy.

Other things that may be of interest:

FCS Playoff Appearances By Team (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&key=0AvHJfK4_Pa8jdGJtWkpvWmRDdnU0STdDV1JRaThqb3c&hl=en_US&gid=0) - Sortable spreadsheet with teams, appearances, first and last year, wins, losses, total games played, and winning percentage.

FCS Playoff Champions & Brackets (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AvHJfK4_Pa8jdDdfYmU3eXpaVGMzZ1dkc3MwRGUxdEE&output=html) - My own take on champions and the playoff brackets in, what I hope is, an easy on the eyes format.

FCS Teams Google Map (http://g.co/maps/8hcxh)

ursus arctos horribilis
February 6th, 2012, 07:42 PM
As akwats Mounty f'n killer job! Appreciate the work you always put in on this stuff.

Bam
February 6th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Good work. I know I'm NOT getting any younger so EKU needs to win some PO games instead of just getting in!!!!!

ngineer
February 6th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Lehigh-205, Lafayette-30.

HailSzczur
February 6th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Seeing Nova as #3 for the last 5 years makes me forget a little how bad this season was.... And if we make the playoffs this year that will only go up since we didn't in 07

AshevilleApp2
February 7th, 2012, 08:47 AM
We're #3! We're #3!

Great job Mountaineer. xbowx

Twentysix
February 7th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Winning pct. True champions XD.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&key=0AvHJfK4_Pa8jdGJtWkpvWmRDdnU0STdDV1JRaThqb3c&hl=en_US&gid=8

HailSzczur
February 7th, 2012, 12:54 PM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&key=0AvHJfK4_Pa8jdGJtWkpvWmRDdnU0STdDV1JRaThqb3c&hl=en_US&gid=8

Lets talk in 10 years or so and see where you stand. But what I think is even more impressive is your points per year (65)

Mountaineer
February 7th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Appreciate the work you always put in on this stuff.

Thanks Ursus. Though it appears the general interest in this kind of thing is dwindling year over year.

Perhaps it will spur some excitement if I ask Rivals to rate the spreadsheets at 2 Stars. :D

TheRevSFA
February 7th, 2012, 03:24 PM
This is great stuff. Good job Mountaineer..I'd give you 3 stars on Rivals

ursus arctos horribilis
February 7th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks Ursus. Though it appears the general interest in this kind of thing is dwindling year over year.

Perhaps it will spur some excitement if I ask Rivals to rate the spreadsheets at 2 Stars. :D

I'm not sure if the interest down or the timing is just not there right now. Everything is a little dead right now but it will be picked up again and again over the summer and once everybody is recharged and raring for another run at the top in July it will be real useful.

I stickied it right away yesterday cuz I want it to be there and easy for anyone to get back to.

I'm going to the top of the page and rating this thread as high as it will let me and that means at least 5 stars for you.xthumbsupx

OL FU
February 7th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Mountaineer, you have certainly made a rather crude idea I had years ago into something special. I like all time the best, Furman is still near the top. Hopefully we start sneaking back up the ladder.xthumbsupx

and to the torch carrier MOUNTAINEERxbowx

Hopefully one of these days I will get to meet youxbeerchugx

Drblankstare
February 7th, 2012, 08:14 PM
GSU winning at .782 clip is pretty damn impressive.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 7th, 2012, 09:43 PM
If there were points for best losses in the playoffs Lehigh would win. Lehigh hasn't advanced as far as other teams but I don't think anyone has faced a tougher road. This is almost comical.

2011, NDSU National Champ
2010, Delaware, National Runner-up
2004, JMU, National Champ
2001, Furman, National Runner-up
2000, Delaware, semi's
1999, Hofstra, they were decent
1998, Umass, National Champ
1980, EKU, national finalist
1979, EKU, lost in national title game

ursus arctos horribilis
February 7th, 2012, 10:37 PM
If there were points for best losses in the playoffs Lehigh would win. Lehigh hasn't advanced as far as other teams but I don't think anyone has faced a tougher road. This is almost comical.

2000, Delaware, semi's

You better check MT then. We have lost more games by less points than I can shake a stick at and they were normally deep run teams and not to mention the actual NC games.

HensRock
February 8th, 2012, 12:01 PM
This is awesome. Thanks for the hard work Mountaineer!
...and for the orignal idea OL FU!

MTfan4life
February 8th, 2012, 12:35 PM
You better check MT then. We have lost more games by less points than I can shake a stick at and they were normally deep run teams and not to mention the actual NC games.

MT also has lost a fair amount of games to teams that went on to lose in the very next round. Idaho 82, Delaware 93, Western Illinois 03, Cal Poly 05, Mass 06, Wofford 07, and Sam Houston 11 all lost in the game after beating UM. You don't want to beat Montana in the playoffs unless it's in the NC. History is not on your side. :P

TheRevSFA
February 8th, 2012, 12:40 PM

2000, Delaware, semi's

Moral Victories getting you through the slow times?

ursus arctos horribilis
February 8th, 2012, 12:54 PM
MT also has lost a fair amount of games to teams that went on to lose in the very next round. Idaho 82, Delaware 93, Western Illinois 03, Cal Poly 05, Mass 06, Wofford 07, and Sam Houston 11 all lost in the game after beating UM. You don't want to beat Montana in the playoffs unless it's in the NC. History is not on your side. :P

No doubt. It's a tough way to go because that back to back travel on top of playing a pretty physical team in a hostile environment can be tough on a team.

In the conference when a team beats UM they lose the next week at an extraordinary clip.

Same thing happened to us in 2008 going to JMU playing the top team in a very tough game and then having to travel back to Chatty to play another tough group. It is not enviable no matter who you are.

BisonHype!
February 9th, 2012, 08:59 AM

Yes, by percentage we are on top, but very early in the going. What is impressive is the Georgia Southern, and Youngstown State records in the playoffs. Nice record gents!xthumbsupx

bobcathpdevil56
February 13th, 2012, 12:55 PM
That map is pretty much the coolest thing on ags ever.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2012, 01:07 PM
That map is pretty much the coolest thing on ags ever.

Mounty did that years ago and I was thoroughly impressed with it myself. He was at one point working on custom map pins and I don't know if he is still working on that but the effort he's put in so far on it is pretty amazing.

People should rep him for the cool stuff he's done.

bobcathpdevil56
February 15th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Looking at that map, though, shouldn't we just add San Diego to the Big Sky and make it a 14 team conference with two 7 team divisions. Shoot 6 games in your division plus anywhere from 2-3 more from the other side in OOD games, and a championship game somehow worked in, would make for a very formidable conference. Easily getting anyone with a decent team to the 7 DI wins and maybe get more than just two per year in the playoffs

gotts
February 15th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Looking at that map, though, shouldn't we just add San Diego to the Big Sky and make it a 14 team conference with two 7 team divisions. Shoot 6 games in your division plus anywhere from 2-3 more from the other side in OOD games, and a championship game somehow worked in, would make for a very formidable conference. Easily getting anyone with a decent team to the 7 DI wins and maybe get more than just two per year in the playoffs

I may be a little hazy on my interpretation, but doesn't a conference championship game = no playoffs for those teams???

bobcathpdevil56
February 15th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Yeah, maybe move everything up a week. i don't know if you play a conference championship game the week before the playoffs start, you are still okay? Right

ursus arctos horribilis
February 15th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah, maybe move everything up a week. i don't know if you play a conference championship game the week before the playoffs start, you are still okay? Right

No, you can not play a championship game between two different divisions in any way or you are ineligible for the playoffs.

FCS is different than FBS in that way because the NCAA does not run the Bowl games so FBS can do it. We can not.

Also SD is a no schollie. Can't have access to the BSC without a minimum # of schollies. Geographically it's great but that's about it. There is a reason they were never in the GWFC and that carries over to the BSC.

bobcathpdevil56
February 17th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Well dang, screw san diego then. My plan has gone awry, screw sd, long live the new bsc, gonna be a great conference

bobcathpdevil56
February 17th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Well dang, screw san diego then. My plan has gone awry, screw sd, long live the new bsc, gonna be a great conference

ursus arctos horribilis
February 17th, 2012, 07:51 PM

It will be very interesting and exciting. I wish we all played each other but it should be cool seeing a good number of BSC teams in the playoffs and having a slightly stronger foothold from the West.

It probably won't happen but it would be sweet if Idaho finally said "screw it" and came back to the BSC and rounded out the number that way.

Blue Eagle
February 20th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Yes, by percentage we are on top, but very early in the going. What is impressive is the Georgia Southern, and Youngstown State records in the playoffs. Nice record gents!xthumbsupx

Thanks from a Ga. Southern fan! I suspect NDSU will add significantly to their record in the next few years proving they are one of the FCS elite programs.

Eagle fans have been very fortunate - having great coaches including one of the all time greats in Erk Russell who started the program in 1981 & won National Championships in 1985, 86 & 89 and all the great players many of whom could have played I-A/FBS football!

citdog
February 20th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks from a Ga. Southern fan! I suspect NDSU will add significantly to their record in the next few years proving they are one of the FCS elite programs.

I have been a Ga. Southern season ticket holder since 1984 and would not trade the experience of being a Ga. Southern fan with being a fan of any other school including FBS schools!

We have been very fortunate - having great coaches including one of the all time greats in Erk Russell who started the program in 1981 and won a National Championshipin 1985 and all the great players many of which could have played I-A/FBS football - when I look back on all the games - including even the 4 "nightmare" years from 2006 to 2009 - I can't believe how lucky I have been to be a fan of the Ga. Southern Eagles!!!

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_506/127453095032fjp5.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
February 20th, 2012, 09:28 PM
locked on pg. 3 for some reason, see if this gets me past it.

alvinkayak6
February 25th, 2012, 09:49 PM
On page 4.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 25th, 2012, 10:18 PM
On page 4.

I was stuck on pg. 3 and no matter what I did to get to the posts on pg. 4 it wouldn't let me through so I made a post while stuck on 3 and the next thing I know I bust through to pg. 4 which you correctly pegged just a post ago.

dbackjon
April 17th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Great work!!

wapiti
July 20th, 2012, 09:29 AM
A few more posts a ther will be 5 pages.
Just beware of 7 because 7 8 9. :D:)xrotatehxxlolx