PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Recruiting - FORDHAM

carney2
February 3rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
FORDHAM - 47

One Committee member is still staring at his computer screen waiting for the Rams to upload the remainder of their recruiting class. Is this all there is? Now, it looks like the Fordhams landed a handful of kids that may be able to play, but the operative word here, folks, is handful. Perhaps the coaching change has been a problem, or perhaps some of those great Italian restaurants near campus have closed, but The Committee cannot come up with a decent theory to explain what's happening on Rose Hill. One thing appears to be certain however – if you add this class to what we saw on the field last fall, and then don't have a plan to supplement with lots of transfers and/or heavenly intervention, it's time to dial D for disaster. Those of you who continue to trumpet the line that the Rams have a huge head start with scholarships and are distancing themselves from the rest of us, forget it. If this is the world with football scholarships, God help us all.

THE GOOD
- Some good looking linemen, particularly offensive linemen
- There is quality liberally sprinkled around this class with 9 (60%) Rated.

THE BAD
- Numbers. 15 will not get it done, even in the world of scholarships. Football is a quantity game as well as a quality game.

QUALITY = 18: 9 are Rated (60%); two 2-stars, one confirmed. These are pretty good percentages if applied to a reasonable number of recruits.

CLASS SIZE = 0: 15 Recruits. You need 18 just to fog a mirror in the Patsy Ratings. The Committee realizes that scholarships change the game. One of the things that will change is class size. For one thing you will not have the kind of defections that we see with equivalencies. Employees do not have quite the same freedom as student athletes. 15 however, is just a ridiculous number for a football recruiting class. The faithful better pray that Moorhead has something up his sleeve.

DISTRIBUTION =6: No QB. No kicker. As befits a group this small, inadequate numbers at most positions.

SPEED = 12: Some of these kids can flat out move.

TRIGGER = 0: No QB = no Trigger Points..

JUMBO = 4: 2 OL and 3 DL; 4 meet and beat the Jumbo criteria.

NEEDS = 7 (of 12):
OL = 3 (of 5): 2 recruits, 2 Rated, both 2-stars, one confirmed, both Jumbos. Quite a debate at Committee headquarters about awarding 3 vs. 4 stars. After all, two 2-star recruits in the same category is fantastic. In the end, “only 2” won the day.
DL = 3 (of 4): 3 recruits, 2 Rated, 2 Jumbos. A borderline 2 vs. 3 points. This might be a “make up call” for the OL decision above, but you didn't hear it from me.
LB = 1 (of 3): The Fordham people have faded into the night since they went scholarship. It's as if the hardcore fan base has mentally and emotionally left the Patriot League. Anyway, The Committee received only one response to its request for Needs input, and that response listed only 2. The Committee was therefore forced to draw its own conclusions for the third. They reasoned that since the respondent chose beef (OL and DL), more beef (LB) wouldn't be a bad call. 2 recruits, neither Rated. Not a stellar group.

COMMITTEE ADJUSTMENTS = O
The Committee's knee-jerk reaction was that this group deserves some deductions. Then cooler heads prevailed. There has, after all, been the trauma of a coaching change, and scholarship football differs from the equivalency/financial aid football that the Patsy Ratings were designed for. Perhaps the Rams faithful are suffering enough just living through this.

THE RATINGS RACE WITH 5 TO GO:

Lafayette 67
Fordham 47

Bogus Megapardus
February 3rd, 2012, 04:41 PM
Initially, let me say that I'm duly impressed with the Committee's grammar, spelling and punctuation, as always. The "AI" still means something, n'est-ce pas?

Twenty points fewer than Lafayette's non-scholarship class might raise some eyebrows, despite the Ram's necessary numerical differences.

Fascinating use of the descriptive term, "employees," though, mon grincheuse.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM
There are two details that bear mentioning. Not that they affect the Patsy ratings, but to me, they're fascinating.

1. Conservatively, more than half of these recruits committed while Masella was still the coach, and I really want to say that ten of them committed at least. This might be the fate of the coach that comes in after the season is over, but by jumping on Moorhead so quickly and having him in place before Christmas, I would have thought he would have had more guys.

2. Like a day after the announcement, two of Moorhead's new Fordham assistants left to work for Greg Schiano down at Tampa.

Now, I have no idea what went on behind the scenes, nor do I know how this affects Patsy ratings - whether this gives this class an asterisk, or what. But something's going on there on Rose Hill.

van
February 3rd, 2012, 06:03 PM
I counted 100 on the 2011 roster, 26 seniors. With a class of 15, that would indicate a 2012 roster of 89, unless there are transfers (always a possibility), 5th year seniors (definite possibility) or defections. 89 is not an unreasonable number I suppose.

ngineer
February 3rd, 2012, 10:52 PM
I have to think they will be going heavy into the transfer route and adding some others that were shunned by their first and/or second choices.

carney2
February 4th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Initially, let me say that I'm duly impressed with the Committee's grammar, spelling and punctuation, as always. The "AI" still means something, n'est-ce pas?

Twenty points fewer than Lafayette's non-scholarship class might raise some eyebrows, despite the Ram's necessary numerical differences.

Fascinating use of the descriptive term, "employees," though, mon grincheuse.

How is it that I cannot shake the feeling that if we ever met and shook hands I'd have the immediate urge to take a shower and burn my clothes?

MR. CHICKEN
February 4th, 2012, 08:43 AM
16411.....MAYBEAH......GOIN' WHIFF ECONOMY.....TRYIN' TA GET 35 MILES....UH GALLON.....OUTTAH 'EM........AWK!

RichH2
February 4th, 2012, 10:55 AM
16411.....MAYBEAH......GOIN' WHIFF ECONOMY.....TRYIN' TA GET 35 MILES....UH GALLON.....OUTTAH 'EM........AWK!

Geez, I actually understood all of this one xsmileyclapxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

Massella built a pretty decent squad talent wise but coaching left much to be desired. Squads will be getting a bit smaller with merit aid but 18 seems a bit too little. Altho, we dont know the ## of schollies already accounted for.

carney2
February 4th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Geez, I actually understood all of this one xsmileyclapxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

Massella built a pretty decent squad talent wise but coaching left much to be desired. Squads will be getting a bit smaller with merit aid but 18 seems a bit too little. Altho, we dont know the ## of schollies already accounted for.

Try 15. LFN hints at problems on Rose Hill.

Lafalumni29
February 4th, 2012, 01:47 PM
The "AI" still means something, n'est-ce pas?

I have to look at the kid from Nassau CC with raised eyebrows. I'd like to think I'm somewhat knowledgeable about Long Island football but kids don't go to Nassau CC and end up at PL or IL schools. That's just not a place to go to raise the academic profile of an athlete who is on the border of entering a good school. It's a meat market, plain and simple. I know I'll get some flack but I'm just calling it like I see it.

xthumbsdownxxnonono2xxnonono2xxthumbsdownx

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 4th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I have to look at the kid from Nassau CC with raised eyebrows. I'd like to think I'm somewhat knowledgeable about Long Island football but kids don't go to Nassau CC and end up at PL or IL schools. That's just not a place to go to raise the academic profile of an athlete who is on the border of entering a good school. It's a meat market, plain and simple. I know I'll get some flack but I'm just calling it like I see it.

xthumbsdownxxnonono2xxnonono2xxthumbsdownx

How about Theo Moss?....err nevermind....

Lafalumni29
February 4th, 2012, 04:44 PM
How about Theo Moss?....err nevermind....

Don't tell me he went to Nassau! LOL!! There ya go!

Franks Tanks
February 4th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Don't tell me he went to Nassau! LOL!! There ya go!

It is well known that Nassau and Milford Academy are football factories that take in kids with issues. The vast majority of their players are very talented, but have experienced academic or personal challenges that make them untouchable. Some get their act together and earn free rides to big time schools (and even the NFL), but many never do.

We don't know for sure, but evidence such as this suggests that Fordham does not plan to comply with the PL AI now or in the near future.

ngineer
February 4th, 2012, 08:49 PM

With Massela axed and two assistants leaving for greener pastures, I think the recuiting itself got off the rails the last 3 months.

DFW HOYA
February 4th, 2012, 08:57 PM
We don't know for sure, but evidence such as this suggests that Fordham does not plan to comply with the PL AI now or in the near future.

What is the penalty for not complying, if any?

van
February 4th, 2012, 09:26 PM

Not sure about a penalty, but does not look to be any benefit based on their recent performance.

Bogus Megapardus
February 5th, 2012, 07:58 AM

Your head coach gets fired.

DFW HOYA
February 5th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Masella is gone because of the 1-10 finish, but with past discussion suggesting Fordham have whistled past the AI since adding grants, there doesn't seem to be any PL reprobation that followed.

And it's 2012 and we still don't know if Fordham plans to stay or leave, regardless of scholarships. When do they have to commit or decommit?

Bogus Megapardus
February 5th, 2012, 09:11 AM

Masella is gone because of the 1-10 finish.

It was a joke, son. Where's MR. CHICKEN when you need him?

carney2
February 5th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Masella is gone because of the 1-10 finish, but with past discussion suggesting Fordham have whistled past the AI since adding grants, there doesn't seem to be any PL reprobation that followed.

And it's 2012 and we still don't know if Fordham plans to stay or leave, regardless of scholarships. When do they have to commit or decommit?

As I recall, they were supposed to "commit or decommit" last year. They are now however, caught up in that kick the can 2-year extension, and (a really key point) I don't think they have any reasonable alternatives. It would appear that they are just sliding along with the extension, but I'm sure they have "something in writing." Many know-nothing observers (me) feel that they will stay if scholarships are approved.

As for penalties for non-compliance, what can the League do at this time? The Rams are in a kind of no man's land, neither in nor out. I'm thinking they can do whatever they want at the moment and it will be forgiven when/if they rejoin the pack, but with a "don't do it again" admonition. The League's great fear that they would accelerate away from the non-scholarship programs into some other universe has certainly not come to pass.

4ufans
February 5th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Plan is 60 schollys over 4 yes. Approx 15 per yr in yr 3now
47 ish on scolly

RichH2
February 5th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Realize basic necessity of s ome sort sort of AI to level recruiting field ( altho that advantage never helped Towson) , but if a kid can get into Fordham it s/n matter where he came from ,assuming school is not lowering their own admission requirements.

Bogus Megapardus
February 5th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Fifteen per year over four years would seem the logical choice for the rest of the PL if scholarships are approved. I have no idea if Fordham will remain ineligible while the rest of the PL has a chance to catch up, but I doubt it. PL teams seem to be doing fine vs Fordham so far.

I, too, think that Fordham will remain in the PL unless it gets a CAA invite (doubtful) or a new northeast-based conference is formed along with Maine, New Hampshire, Albany, Central Connecticut and Stony Brook plus two others. I doubt there will be defections from the PL to such a conference, particularly if the PL is allowed 60 scholarships. While it's clear that many who post on the Fordham board despise the PL and blame it for myriad woes and tribulations, my guess is that the administration on Rose Hill wants to remain allied with the PL.

Bogus Megapardus
February 5th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Realize basic necessity of s ome sort sort of AI to level recruiting field ( altho that advantage never helped Towson) , but if a kid can get into Fordham it s/n matter where he came from ,assuming school is not lowering their own admission requirements.

Agreed. Tavani has said in the past that he's not inclined to build a team out of a bunch of "free agents," as he puts it, and I would sense an institutional bias at some PL schools against bringing in transfers and JuCos to fill the team. But that's up to the school - if transferring kids fit well into Fordham's system, it matters not at all how they got there, as long as they meet the same AI and as long as the same AI protocol is applied to transfers and JuCos as it is to incoming freshmen. Keep in mind that no PL school ever has a bias against PG kids - historically our rosters are full of them, in every sport.

Ramnyfan
February 5th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Yes ...I know for fact AD n admin def wants to stay in pl
I too agree it's the best place for them.
I believe holy cross was eligible when they entered pl with of schollys on roster
So with present record I would think pl would allow level playing field

carney2
February 5th, 2012, 02:43 PM
The ramblings of a demented and uninformed "mind:"

The Patriot League will, in my opinion, go the basketball route with no mandates, only maximums. Each school will be on its own. So, DFW, Georgetown would, in this scenario, be free to do 0, 10, or 20 - their decision. They would be neither reprimanded nor expelled.

I have been saying for years that the maximum number of scholarships allowed will be 60. This allows the League to keep their snoot in the air ("We are academically superior to the rest of you.") by "rejecting" the NCAA limit of 63. The scholarship maximum will be accompanied by a roster limit, probably in the 80-85 range.

Scholarships will be phased in at 25% - i.e., a max of 15 - per year. I don't know why anyone would even think this, but they will not be, and will not be allowed to be, sprinkled through the upper classes. If you were admitted under equivalencies/need-based financial aid, that's how you finish.

I don't know if Fordham's recent pitiful performance will factor in, but I'm betting that the approval of scholarships would allow them to belly up to the table immediately with a full plate.

If the AI is not by school, instead of League wide, then somebody needs to be taken out and horse whipped.

Fordham will be a house divided. The revulsion of the faithful with the Patriot League is obvious. They have virtually disappeared from this board and other gathering places. They will not take this lying down. A whole bunch of Rams87 are in our future.

Tribe4SF
February 5th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Have to remember that on signing day scholarship programs do not release preferred walk-ons who are coming. 15 is a pretty typical number of scholarship signees. Preferred walk-ons are free to seek other financial aid from the school, and usually do. W&M signed 13 on Feb. 1, and we already know of 5 additional walk-ons who are coming. We won't know all of them until W&M issues their media guide with the fall roster listed. Typical class for us is 15 scholarship, and ten walk-ons.

carney2
February 5th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Have to remember that on signing day scholarship programs do not release preferred walk-ons who are coming. 15 is a pretty typical number of scholarship signees. Preferred walk-ons are free to seek other financial aid from the school, and usually do. W&M signed 13 on Feb. 1, and we already know of 5 additional walk-ons who are coming. We won't know all of them until W&M issues their media guide with the fall roster listed. Typical class for us is 15 scholarship, and ten walk-ons.

There ya go, another problem to be considered - preferred walk-ons. I don't think anyone has any idea how much of an issue this would be for Patriot League schools, but it will exist.

van
February 5th, 2012, 03:14 PM

Good insight, as we are somewhat novices to the football scholarship ins and outs.

MR. CHICKEN
February 5th, 2012, 03:25 PM
It was a joke, son. Where's MR. CHICKEN when you need him?

16412.....SPOTS...FEEL FREE TA USE DUH ATTACHMENT....WHEN SETTIN' DUH CORNFUSED/MISGUIDED....STRAIGHT....AWK!

Tribe4SF
February 5th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Walk-ons are a huge part of our program. Several earn scholarships each year. In fact, we have four scholarships reserved specifically for walk-ons which are funded through our HEYFARL (Hundred Each Year For A Rising Letterman) program. We maintain a Walk-On Hall of Fame which includes 2004 Payton Award winner Lang Campbell, and Adrian Tracy, who was drafted by the Giants in 2010 and is currently on their practice squad.

DFW HOYA
February 5th, 2012, 06:08 PM
The Patriot League will, in my opinion, go the basketball route with no mandates, only maximums. Each school will be on its own. So, DFW, Georgetown would, in this scenario, be free to do 0, 10, or 20 - their decision. They would be neither reprimanded nor expelled.

Points taken, but at what point does a 0-scholarship program in a 60-scholarship league become competitively untenable?

van
February 5th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Points taken, but at what point does a 0-scholarship program in a 60-scholarship league become competitively untenable?

More untenable than current?

carney2
February 5th, 2012, 09:28 PM

All due respect, but we seem to go down this well worn road a lot. It just isn't Georgetown's fault. I ask you, if 7 people are standing watching an avalanche come at them and 6 choose to move out of the way while the 7th stands his ground, gets buried, and dies, whose fault is it? Somehow, you seem to find great culpability with the 6 who moved and survived.

I repeat my theory that precipitated this: IF scholarships are approved by the Patriot League I do not believe that

Georgetown will be forced to comply with any mandated number; nor will
Georgetown be forced to have any at all; nor will
(most important) Georgetown be forced to offer zero scholarships or some number approaching zero.

In short, the decision will be made in DC. If they don't have the resources; if they don't have the money; if they don't have the desire; if they don't have the heart; they are simply in the wrong place, and that is also their own fault.

I'm willing to bet that the other 6 are willing to have a virtual week off each season while the Hoya brain trust continues to ignore the obvious.

van
February 6th, 2012, 07:21 AM
All due respect, but we seem to go down this well worn road a lot. It just isn't Georgetown's fault. I ask you, if 7 people are standing watching an avalanche come at them and 6 choose to move out of the way while the 7th stands his ground, gets buried, and dies, whose fault is it? Somehow, you seem to find great culpability with the 6 who moved and survived.

I repeat my theory that precipitated this: IF scholarships are approved by the Patriot League I do not believe that

Georgetown will be forced to comply with any mandated number; nor will
Georgetown be forced to have any at all; nor will
(most important) Georgetown be forced to offer zero scholarships or some number approaching zero.

In short, the decision will be made in DC. If they don't have the resources; if they don't have the money; if they don't have the desire; if they don't have the heart; they are simply in the wrong place, and that is also their own fault.

I'm willing to bet that the other 6 are willing to have a virtual week off each season while the Hoya brain trust continues to ignore the obvious.

There you go, put up or shut up!

jimbo65
February 6th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Yes ...I know for fact AD n admin def wants to stay in pl
I too agree it's the best place for them.
I believe holy cross was eligible when they entered pl with of schollys on roster
So with present record I would think pl would allow level playing field
Correct, however, the AD is an incompetent yes man. Unfortunately, the prez., Fr. McShane doesn't give a rap about athletics so the success of fball is left to the coaches & the Gridiron Club, who does have some "high rollers" so to speak. what success we have in the major sports, little as that might be. is achieved despite the administration which practices benevolent non-involvement with sports. The AD is the one who sold Fordham on the PL which was a disaster in every sport except fball where we had some success.

DFW HOYA
February 6th, 2012, 09:21 AM

Not at all, and quite the contrary.

I've never held the position the PL should reject scholarships as a matter of course or some sort of mandatum to reject any appearance of athletic emphasis, nor have I wished ill upon those schools with the financial resources to commit to football as they do. My question was less about Georgetown but more about the league in general--if six oars are moving downstream and one is pulling the other way, what is the impact to the team and the league?

Georgetown was welcomed to the PL, in no small part, because of its brand name (as opposed to say, Duquesne or Hofstra, which didn't get such a warm welcome) and the league tolerated the competitive imbalance because Georgetown was playing within the rules despite a lot of zero and 1-win PL records. But there is a point where name recognition will only get you so far, and if the first 90 players off the board go to PL scholarship schools, it's not going to leave Georgetown with much to build a team around. What would Villanova look like in the CAA without scholarships?

Outside the East, anyone remember what Prairie View A&M football looked like in the 1990's? That was directly due to a decision where PV stopped offering athletic scholarships and promptly lost its next 44 games in football and finished 0-28 in basketball. I'm not envisioning such a scenario here but when there is a systemic imbalance the results can be cumulative. The larger question I was raising was how a team that is not competitively seeded with scholarship players figures to compete, much as Davidson slogged through the Southern Conference in the 1970's and 1980s, and that's my larger concern.

So, another take on the question: If Dr. Weiss held his ground and said "no grants for us" and Lafayette slid to seasons where it was losing games by 25-30 points every week as a matter of course, how tenable would that become for all parties?

RichH2
February 6th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Embarassing certainly , but untenable? I've been through "deemphasis" at Lehigh and watched it at Lafayette. The issue is not whether the Pl will stand for it but rather whether Hoya alumni and students will stand for it? Lehigh went through most of the 60's getting crushed in football. We survived until Fred could rebuild the program. The choice does not lie with PL but with GU. I hope GU can find a way to maintain a program that is finally improving. Whether they do or dont , PL will not ask them to leave. Decision up to GU stay, suffer or improve ,or downsize to PFL.

DFW HOYA
February 6th, 2012, 12:13 PM
The issue is not whether the Pl will stand for it but rather whether Hoya alumni and students will stand for it?

Alumni and students do not drive this issue, the money's not there.

The PFL is not a realistic option. I-AA independent, maybe.

RichH2
February 6th, 2012, 12:29 PM
In FCS, the few independents are transition schools. Very hard to schedule games once conference scheds start. If PL membership difficult Independent status virtually impossible. GU had a really excellent recruit class this yr, so GU probably has 3 or 4 yrs before disparity becomes an issue. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution

Lehigh Football Nation
February 6th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I find it weird that we're still having this conversation when Georgetown was one win away from the PL title last year and enjoyed victories over Lafayette (14-13), Colgate (40-18), Holy Cross (19-6) and Fordham (30-13), supposed schools that have "passed them by" in the scholarship sweepstakes. Really? If there's such a discrepancy, why did the Hoyas win these games? Luck? Officiating?

Rather than bash "poor old Georgetown", shouldn't teams be wondering how to catch up with them at this point? Especially because two years in a row, now, Lehigh vs. Georgetown was the big game with championship implications?

ngineer
February 6th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I find it weird that we're still having this conversation when Georgetown was one win away from the PL title last year and enjoyed victories over Lafayette (14-13), Colgate (40-18), Holy Cross (19-6) and Fordham (30-13), supposed schools that have "passed them by" in the scholarship sweepstakes. Really? If there's such a discrepancy, why did the Hoyas win these games? Luck? Officiating?

Rather than bash "poor old Georgetown", shouldn't teams be wondering how to catch up with them at this point? Especially because two years in a row, now, Lehigh vs. Georgetown was the big game with championship implications?

I think some still view Georgetown's first winning season since 1999 as an aberration with certain 'perfect storm' issues coalescing. If the Hoyas can replicate last year in 2012, then there must certainly be awareness that they have turned the corner and passed a few of the PL bretheran. But if they revert to only one or two PL wins, then people will see 2011 as a fluke.

RichH2
February 6th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Doubt last yr a fluke. The year before may have caught some by surprise,not last year. Even w/o schollies GU will always attract some good athletes. Just not enuf,IMHO to compete yr in and yr out.

breezy
February 6th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I do not believe that 2011 was a "fluke" for Georgetown, but I think that Georgetown will be hard-pressed to repeat that success if the rest of the PL begins recruiting with scholarships and Georgetown does not keep pace.

I also wonder what effect the departure of Offensive Coordinator Dave Patenaude will have, since Georgetown's emergence over the past two seasons coincides with his tenure there. On the other hand, the Patsy Ratings have indicated that Georgetown has been having good recruiting success recently, so the current roster should be able to keep it competitive for at least a couple more years.

RichH2
February 6th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I do not believe that 2011 was a "fluke" for Georgetown, but I think that Georgetown will be hard-pressed to repeat that success if the rest of the PL begins recruiting with scholarships and Georgetown does not keep pace.

I also wonder what effect the departure of Offensive Coordinator Dave Patenaude will have, since Georgetown's emergence over the past two seasons coincides with his tenure there. On the other hand, the Patsy Ratings have indicated that Georgetown has been having good recruiting success recently, so the current roster should be able to keep it competitive for at least a couple more years.

Yup, what he said xhighfivex

CFBfan
February 6th, 2012, 01:33 PM

Good perspective here. regarding the Offense, Coach P was "good" not great, the OC he replaced was pathetic (and lsince eaving GU was cleaned out of Acron) and ANY decent OC would have looked good, there was a lot of potential AND all 11 starters are back from last year.
On D the only significant loss is Schatzke. A lot of good talent returns there too.
This years class of recruits looks very strong.

This years recruiting class looks very strong.

RichH2
February 6th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Good perspective here. regarding the Offense, Coach P was "good" not great, the OC he replaced was pathetic (and lsince eaving GU was cleaned out of Acron) and ANY decent OC would have looked good, there was a lot of potential AND all 11 starters are back from last year.
On D the only significant loss is Schatzke. A lot of good talent returns there too.
This years class of recruits looks very strong.

This years recruiting class looks very strong.

Either way you say it class is good . Certainly has best Lineman recruited by PL in Jowers

Fordham
February 6th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Boy, not nearly as much worry, angst and depression in Fordham quarters as you would expect from reading this review. I understand where it's coming from as far as the analysis goes but it's one of the reasons why I don't give much thought or worry to incoming classes as I used to. It's hard enough to peg a recruiting class at the BCS level, let alone at ours. If these last few years at Fordham have proven anything, it's coaching, game-day strategy & adjustments and preparation/development that make the difference. Add in a healthy dose of discipline and I really believe that's why we've had mediocre to abominable the past few years.

After seeing our coaches at Meet the Recruits, I was completely blown away by what they're doing as far as off season conditioning and, in particular, regarding discipline and attention to detail. Honestly have never seen anything like it and the meeting was the first time I've felt like putting on a helmet and getting out there since graduating.

As far as this class goes, we'll have to see, but it's very clear that the last 2 years have brought in better football talent than we've had here overall in a long time. This class is also much, much better than anything we could have brought in as need-based aid only AND the league-wide AI. It's not as good as it would be if we had no restrictions to our recruiting in terms of AI ... or if we had amazing facilities to help sell as well ... but it's better than we've been able to do in comparison with 2008-09 Fordham. Fwiw, I'm still being told by our administration that we're complying with the AI. Now, Coach M didn't have a Q&A after the presentation, so the question wasn't asked but I think it'll be a good one for LFN to ask on Patriot League Media Day. I'll try to get more info.

15 scholarship kids/class is going to be the average that's announced from here on out. Class will have 20+ when all is said and done according to the staff from a combo of walk-ons and the possibility of one or more FBS transfers. This is one area where I think the need-based v. scholarship thing deviates - it's just a different animal in terms of the #'s you bring in.

As far as losing the coaches to the NFL - it's the first time we've ever had coaches go to an NFL spot out of Fordham (even if the stay was BRIEF)! There was a slide that Coach M put up that detailed the experience of his staff and included # years of DI coaching experience, # of All-Americans coached, players coached who played in the NFL, FBS conference championships, Bowl appearances and Nat'l Championship rings that the staff - very impressive stuff and clearly our most experienced staff ever. That's why it's taken more so as a sign of the strong staff that he put together that 2 of the guys immediately had opportunities to go the highest level.

Long-short - as always, who the heck knows what this class will bring but it feels good to be really excited again and to be expecting a turnaround. I don't know how many of you have seen us play in person the last two years but I'd argue that we have some good talent on the field. It was just baffling at times how things would go in terms of discipline, play calling, technique etc. After seeing what these kids are going through, I have no doubt that they will be draining every last bit of effort, focus and ability from these kids.

If we don't see a big turnaround, which to me means a winning record and a chance to win every game while hopefully playing a bunch of young kids who are only going to get better - I'll be stunned

Fordham
February 6th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I think Gtown needs to let things play out a bit longer before any decisions/determinations are made. It's clearly an amazing brand that has been able to get a competitive squad despite the lack of funding. We may see that continue regardless of scholarships as they're certainly helpful but no panacea.

I also wonder if there are some big hitters who can help out in terms of fundraising for the program. That's the backbone of our success and it's too bad that Gtown hasn't been able to build that strong Gridiron Club support like we and some other schools have done or are doing (e.g. - HC).

ramMan
February 11th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Carney, you may have to revise Fordham's rating.

Fordham received a commitment yesterday from Rustom Khouri, a 6'0", 225-lb. linebacker out of Ohio football powerhouse St. Ignatius High School, which won the 2011 Division I state championship. Khouri was named A.P. Division I Second Team All-State following the 2011 season.

I also heard we're looking to bring in an FBS transfer. Im not sure what's holding things up, though. (Academics?)

carney2
February 11th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Carney, you may have to revise Fordham's rating.

Fordham received a commitment yesterday from Rustom Khouri, a 6'0", 225-lb. linebacker out of Ohio football powerhouse St. Ignatius High School, which won the 2011 Division I state championship. Khouri was named A.P. Division I Second Team All-State following the 2011 season.

I also heard we're looking to bring in an FBS transfer. Im not sure what's holding things up, though. (Academics?)

Thanks for the heads up. All three of the early announcing teams (Fordham, Lafayette, Lehigh) seem to be adding bodies. Lafayette is supposedly now up to 33, and Andy Coen at Lehigh has said from the get-go that he expects a few more. As for transfers, they do not factor into the Patsy Ratings. This is one of the reasons that the current system will have to be redesigned or scrapped when/if the League goes scholarship. Anyway, back to the issue of the basic headcount. There are changes in the Patsy Ratings only when there is an official announcement from the school.

ngineer
February 11th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Most of us in the PL have add-ons after Feb. 1 when those who were holding out hope for an FBS offer find themselves jilted and then go back to second and third choices.