View Full Version : Large cache of drugs/steroids found in raid of two recent JMU players

BlueHenSinfonian
February 2nd, 2012, 11:38 PM
Full story:

http://www.dnronline.com/article/suspect_steroids_found_in_jmu_athletes_apartment

To be fair, one of the students involved graduated a little over a month ago, and the other quit the team last week.

Bogus Megapardus
February 3rd, 2012, 07:40 AM
If the prosecutors have gathered enough information to convince a judge to issue a search warrant, one might surmise that the JMU staff had at least an inkling of what was going on. Could it be that the athletic staff itself tipped off police?

NoDak 4 Ever
February 3rd, 2012, 07:47 AM
I know it's not the same as marijuana but doesn't this start too look like a "thing" with JMU?

I-16Bandit
February 3rd, 2012, 07:59 AM
I know it's not the same as marijuana but doesn't this start too look like a "thing" with JMU?

Drugs on a college campus? Certainly only happens at JMU...

TheRevSFA
February 3rd, 2012, 08:14 AM
Oh they really got them from those hopped up kids at Eastern Mennonite University

BlueHenSinfonian
February 3rd, 2012, 09:04 AM
Drugs on a college campus? Certainly only happens at JMU...

Marijuana is probably universally present in some football player's room on every college campus in America. What got my attention was the supposedly large amount of steroids. Now, I don't know how much one person would have a need for personal use, but two guys who recently left the team who have that large of a stash makes me think about what they were doing with it and/or who they were supplying it to.

whitey
February 3rd, 2012, 09:29 AM
According to the article they found one ziploc bag full of "many vials of unknown drugs" in one closet. And additional drugs under a bed. I know it could be one of those really large 2/3 gallon ziploc bags but it could have also been quart sized. I know it's fun to say "large cache" but we don't really know how large it was. At least not yet. Taking it to the next level and suggesting they were supplying the whole team is a bit of a stretch at this point.

Apphole
February 3rd, 2012, 10:00 AM
Doesn't this belong in the "JMU has the best class" thread? xlolx

bleedblue
February 3rd, 2012, 11:19 AM
According to the article they found one ziploc bag full of "many vials of unknown drugs" in one closet. And additional drugs under a bed. I know it could be one of those really large 2/3 gallon ziploc bags but it could have also been quart sized. I know it's fun to say "large cache" but we don't really know how large it was. At least not yet. Taking it to the next level and suggesting they were supplying the whole team is a bit of a stretch at this point.

That's one way to spin it. Unfortuantely it happens everywhere.

BisonHype!
February 3rd, 2012, 11:23 AM
Doesn't this belong in the "JMU has the best class" thread? xlolx

Should start a JMU has the most steroids thread...xlolxxlolxxlolx

whitey
February 3rd, 2012, 11:37 AM
That's one way to spin it. Unfortuantely it happens everywhere.

I agree it happens everywhere. I also find it extremely suspicious that one of these (now ex-)players quit the team one week before this happened. Coincidence? Probably not.

Anyway, my overall point was that you are insinuating that these players had a lot of steroids and were potentially distributing them to the team or others. But it's quite possible that's not the case.

Doc QB
February 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
I agree it happens everywhere. I also find it extremely suspicious that one of these (now ex-)players quit the team one week before this happened. Coincidence? Probably not.

Anyway, my overall point was that you are insinuating that these players had a lot of steroids and were potentially distributing them to the team or others. But it's quite possible that's not the case.

Agree on your first point. Hard to agree completely with your second paragraph...if they had a large quantity (big "if" that needs confirmation/verfication), is it really a stretch to think it was going to other athletes close to them? Unfortunately, not really. Not at all.

whitey
February 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
No, not a stretch at all. IF they had large quantities of steroids then it's likely they were distributing them to people they were close with. Could easily have been friends from the gym, athletes from other sports or their ex-teammates. Right now I'm just taking issue with people labeling it a large cache of steroids. All the article indicates is ONE ziploc bag with vials and other pills, etc. found in another room. It could just have easily been these two guys personal supplies. Let's wait until we get all the facts before people start pointing fingers.

bleedblue
February 3rd, 2012, 03:40 PM
The athlete's would be the market for that type of drug. Now I don't know the amount of drugs found but it seems to me it's as likely to be a lot, which depends on your definition of a lot, of drugs as much as it is to be a little amount of drugs. If it happened to the Hens, which it probably has, I would side on the "little" amount of drugs until the story unfolds.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2012, 03:43 PM
Agreed, it's all about the quantities involved, but if it's a "recently graduated senior" involved, one has to wonder if that particular senior was "juiced" last season. That's not good either.

Bogus Megapardus
February 3rd, 2012, 04:14 PM
I'm still of a mind that the JMU staff found out and turned them in. JMU has been aggressive in building its program the right way - it certainly doesn't need to be associated with steroid distribution. I hope it comes out that these were rouge elements and that the JMU staff acted promptly when it had credible information about doping. We all knew kids in high school who had access to needles, but when you get to this level there's little margin for tolerance.

All we'll hear, probably, is that JMU "cooperated" in the investigation, but I'll guess it was more than that. The university doesn't want it or need it, and I hope someone on the staff did the right thing here. No one at the FCS level should be doping and I don't think for a minute that anyone at JMU would suggest turning a blind eye.

whitey
February 3rd, 2012, 04:48 PM
I'm still of a mind that the JMU staff found out and turned them in. JMU has been aggressive in building its program the right way - it certainly doesn't need to be associated with steroid distribution. I hope it comes out that these were rouge elements and that the JMU staff acted promptly when it had credible information about doping. We all knew kids in high school who had access to needles, but when you get to this level there's little margin for tolerance.

All we'll hear, probably, is that JMU "cooperated" in the investigation, but I'll guess it was more than that. The university doesn't want it or need it, and I hope someone on the staff did the right thing here. No one at the FCS level should be doping and I don't think for a minute that anyone at JMU would suggest turning a blind eye.

There has been some speculation on the CAAZone about this possible scenario as well, especially since one of these players "quit" the team last week which seems like more than a coincidence.

Twentysix
February 3rd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Should start a JMU has the most steroids thread...xlolxxlolxxlolx

That would be factually incorrect, as reported by the forum. UND has the most steriods.

“We are aware of the situation and the ongoing investigation,” said UND Athletics Director Brian Faison in a statement issued through a spokesman. “We are extremely disappointed and we are cooperating with authorities. There will be no further comment at this time.”

Richard Zachary McConn, who lives in the same house at 531 Cambridge St., was charged with possession of anabolic steroids, possession of Adderall, possession of marijuana paraphernalia and possession of marijuana.

December 17, 2011, 11:21 AM