PDA

View Full Version : Coaches for ODU To Consider

TexasTerror
June 4th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Some names in jest (obviously), though I'm sure MaineJeff wouldn't mind seeing his team schedule a Condi Rice coached Monarch squad!

Others are legitimate candidates for the job, though we'll see what difference a year or two make...

Football coaches for ODU to ponder
Published June 4 2006
So Old Dominion really means to play football. Really means to bring blocking sleds, marching bands and tailgate revelry to Hampton Boulevard.

University and Norfolk big hats made their intentions clear last week by swapping Armani and Abboud for skirts and saddle shoes during a pep rally at state-of-the-art (circa 1940) Foreman Field.

Much work remains - a kicking tee would be a start - before ODU's 2009 home opener (against the Granby JV?) but it's mostly administrative mumbo-jumbo that only a bean counter could love.

The prevailing question is, who will coach these Division I-AA fledglings? Who will first draw the ire of the Monarch faithful for punting on fourth-and-millimeters from midfield?

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/columnists/dp-40259cm0jun04,0,5577500.column?coll=dp-sports-columnists

Monarch Nation
June 4th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I really had to laugh at the "fourth and millimeters" line.

Living in Florida, I am out of the loop about current local coaches, so I'll defer to others. Whoever the first coach is, he has to be comfortable with a start-up situation and be able to sell that prospect to prospective players. It won't be that easy a sell, especially to the top recruits with established programs all around us.

mainejeff
June 4th, 2006, 02:06 PM
What about Maine's Jack Cosgrove? He has a lot of experience.

CollegeSportsInfo
June 4th, 2006, 06:16 PM
David Teel should be smothered with a pillow for writing such a corny peice of crap.

Go...gate
June 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Three-time Ivy Champion Steve Tosches (former Princeton FB coach) is still available and should be considered.

BusinessEagle
June 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM
How about Virginia native Mike Sewak?

MR. CHICKEN
June 4th, 2006, 08:29 PM
SEWAK:confused:

SO HE CAN GO 8-3.....MAKE DUH DANCE.....DEN GET CANNED..LIKE....SIR WALTER RALEIGH?..................: smh :.........BRAWK!

ANDY TALLEY........WOULD LOOK GOOD IN OLD DIMMY........RAIN WEAR!........:thumbsup:............AWK-UH-DOODLE-DOO-DOO!

Go...gate
June 4th, 2006, 10:23 PM
LOL, Mr. Chicken!!!!! xlolx xlolx

Tribe4SF
June 4th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Whoever the first coach is, he has to be comfortable with a start-up situation and be able to sell that prospect to prospective players. It won't be that easy a sell, especially to the top recruits with established programs all around us.

The first guy on Teel's list, Matt Kelchner of CNU, fits that bill and I would be very surprised if he is not a candidate. He was W&M's Asst. Head Coach before taking the CNU job, and he is widely respected, and much loved in the Tidewater area. A truly classy guy who knows the whole job.

I'm not sure he'd want to do the start-up thing again, though. Winning immediately at CNU was one thing. Winning immediately at ODU will be a much taller order. But if he hasn't already moved up, I'll bet he takes a look.

walliver
June 5th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Maybe they can get Erk Russell to come out of retirement:)

NoCoDanny
June 5th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I'm sure Jerry Glanville will be throwing his name into the mix any day now.

youwouldno
June 5th, 2006, 04:24 PM
The first guy on Teel's list, Matt Kelchner of CNU, fits that bill and I would be very surprised if he is not a candidate. He was W&M's Asst. Head Coach before taking the CNU job, and he is widely respected, and much loved in the Tidewater area. A truly classy guy who knows the whole job.

I'm not sure he'd want to do the start-up thing again, though. Winning immediately at CNU was one thing. Winning immediately at ODU will be a much taller order. But if he hasn't already moved up, I'll bet he takes a look.

The opportunity to win at the I-AA level as HC might be too much to pass up. Success there could move him up the coaching ranks more than winning at CNU possibly could.

GaSouthern
June 5th, 2006, 06:05 PM
How about Virginia native Mike Sewak?

I think a great pick for the job!