PDA

View Full Version : I-A Schools "Must Avoid" I-AA Games

TexasTerror
June 4th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Lovely editorial...xidiotx

Wanna share your thoughts with the columnist? Mike Huguenin can be reached at [email protected].

----------
These games are 'must avoid'
Published June 4, 2006

We won't know the ramifications of college football's 12th regular-season game until December, but one thing is for sure:

The addition of the 12th game means there will be a lot more cruddy on-field action this season.

Last season, Division I-A teams played 52 games against I-AA foes. This season, that number rises to 74.

For the second season in a row, the Big 12 gets the ignominious "We're Playing the Most I-AAs" award.

Eleven league teams -- all but Oklahoma -- are playing one I-AA opponent apiece. Last season, there were eight games between Big 12 teams and I-AA foes.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-colinsider0406jun04,0,2076668.column?coll=orl-sports-headlines

JohnStOnge
June 4th, 2006, 07:07 AM
My Response:

Since your article appeared on a I-AA message board I'm sure you're getting some interesting e mails. This one's just to offer a perspective. That perspective is that, in objective terms from the standpoint of a fan of a BCS league school going to a "cupcake" game, there's really not a whole lot of difference between seeing a I-AA on the schedule and seeing a Sun Belt or MAC school.

I haven't done numbers for 2005, but last year prior to the season I compiled the numbers below for just the 2004 campaign.

For the 2004 season, BCS League teams (plus Notre Dame) were:

22 - 2 against I-AAs, with the average score being 37-13;
18 - 1 against Sun Belt teams, with the average score being 42 - 13; and
23 - 3 against MAC teams, with the average score being 37 - 16.

The likelihood of seeing a blowout was about the same for all three groups. Forty two percent (10 of 24) of the 2004 season's meetings between BCS league teams and I-AAs ended with the BCS team winning by 30 or more points, but 53 percent of games (10 of 19) ended like that when BCS league programs took on Sun Belt teams and 42 percent (11 of 26) did when they played MAC squads.

The likelihood of seeing a reasonably competitive game was also about the same for all three groups. During 2004, 29 percent (7 of 24) of games between BCS league teams and I-AAs were decided 14 or fewer points. Games involving BCS league members were decided by such margins 21 percent of the time ((4 of 19) when opponents were from the Sun Belt and 31 percent of the time (8 of 26) when MAC teams were in the mix.

The most lopsided win by a BCS league team over a I-AA during 2004 was Virginia Tech's 62-0 drubbing of 3-8 Florida A&M. That's pretty lopsided. But Virginia Tech also beat Western Michigan of the MAC 63-0 that year. Meanwhile, MAC champ Toledo lost games by scores of 63-14 to Kansas and 63-21 to Minnesota. Texas bludgeoned Sun Belt champ North Texas 65-0.

Having followed competition between different levels closely, I am confident that the basic impression created by those numbers would hold for different periods.

That's it for the specific numbers I have at my fingertips. Numbers I don't have at my fingertips but that I've looked up before indicate that the Sun Belt, since its inception, has a losing record in head to head competition against the nearby I-AA Southland Conference while the MAC and nearby I-AA Gateway Conference have a very competitive head to head series in which the MAC has a small edge but the edge could easily be accounted for by the fact that in recent years the games have always been on MAC home fields. Typically, when a BCS league team brings in a team from the Southland ,it's not a whole heck of a lot different than bringing in one from the Sun Belt and the same holds true for MAC team vs. Gateway team.

I understand that fans of big time schools would rather not see mismatches. But I don't understand singling out games with I-AA schools when the Sun Belt and MAC (as well as many teams in the WAC, by the way) are out there taking their beatings and collecting their checks as well.

kats89
June 4th, 2006, 07:38 AM
My Response:

Since your article appeared on a I-AA message board I'm sure you're getting some interesting e mails. This one's just to offer a perspective. That perspective is that, in objective terms from the standpoint of a fan of a BCS league school going to a "cupcake" game, there's really not a whole lot of difference between seeing a I-AA on the schedule and seeing a Sun Belt or MAC school.

I haven't done numbers for 2005, but last year prior to the season I compiled the numbers below for just the 2004 campaign.

The likelihood of seeing a blowout was about the same for all three groups. Forty two percent (10 of 24) of the 2004 season's meetings between BCS league teams and I-AAs ended with the BCS team winning by 30 or more points, but 53 percent of games (10 of 19) ended like that when BCS league programs took on Sun Belt teams and 42 percent (11 of 26) did when they played MAC squads.

The likelihood of seeing a reasonably competitive game was also about the same for all three groups. During 2004, 29 percent (7 of 24) of games between BCS league teams and I-AAs were decided 14 or fewer points. Games involving BCS league members were decided by such margins 21 percent of the time ((4 of 19) when opponents were from the Sun Belt and 31 percent of the time (8 of 26) when MAC teams were in the mix.

The most lopsided win by a BCS league team over a I-AA during 2004 was Virginia Tech's 62-0 drubbing of 3-8 Florida A&M. That's pretty lopsided. But Virginia Tech also beat Western Michigan of the MAC 63-0 that year. Meanwhile, MAC champ Toledo lost games by scores of 63-14 to Kansas and 63-21 to Minnesota. Texas bludgeoned Sun Belt champ North Texas 65-0.

Having followed competition between different levels closely, I am confident that the basic impression created by those numbers would hold for different periods.

That's it for the specific numbers I have at my fingertips. Numbers I don't have at my fingertips but that I've looked up before indicate that the Sun Belt, since its inception, has a losing record in head to head competition against the nearby I-AA Southland Conference while the MAC and nearby I-AA Gateway Conference have a very competitive head to head series in which the MAC has a small edge but the edge could easily be accounted for by the fact that in recent years the games have always been on MAC home fields. Typically, when a BCS league team brings in a team from the Southland ,it's not a whole heck of a lot different than bringing in one from the Sun Belt and the same holds true for MAC team vs. Gateway team.

I understand that fans of big time schools would rather not see mismatches. But I don't understand singling out games with I-AA schools when the Sun Belt and MAC (as well as many teams in the WAC, by the way) are out there taking their beatings and collecting their checks as well.

:hurray:

Just another uneducated columnist.xcoffeex

Monarch Nation
June 4th, 2006, 07:58 AM
That's just like the thinking in college basketball. Freeze out the "mid-major" or make them play the game in the Big Boy's arena.

Huguenin didn't start writing this stuff until UCF finally put up a good season.

DaGriz
June 4th, 2006, 09:51 AM
3. West Virginia-Eastern Washington, Sept. 9: West Virginia thinks it can win the national title. Folks, teams that are in the national-title mix shouldn't play I-AA schools.

I don't understand that. Didn't LSU play ASU when they "shared" the national championship a few years ago? That didn't affect their title shot.

JohnStOnge
June 4th, 2006, 10:06 AM
I don't understand that. Didn't LSU play ASU when they "shared" the national championship a few years ago? That didn't affect their title shot.

It was Western Illinois. And, no, it obviously didn't keep them from winning the BCS title...and that's the one that depends most on schedule strength issues. I also don't think LSU having played and beaten some I-A instead of Western Illinois would have changed AP pollsters' minds about voting USC number 1.

slycat
June 4th, 2006, 10:28 AM
i really hope there are some big upsets this year. man would he be eating his own words.

its too bad writers like this dont do better research before writing their articles.

wannabegaucho
June 4th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Although Southern California did not play any I-AA schools. Personally, I'd love to see I-AA schools continue to play the Big XII and SEC schools:

1. I-AA teams can pull a Maine
2. I can make fun of the Big XII and SEC

EDIT: Although everything in moderation.

TheValleyRaider
June 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM
My Response:

Huguenin, meet AGS's own JohnStOnge :bow: :bow: :bow:

JohnStOnge
June 4th, 2006, 05:07 PM
i really hope there are some big upsets this year. man would he be eating his own words..

He wouldn't notice.

June 4th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Nice one John! Let us know if you get a reply!

IaaScribe
June 5th, 2006, 07:52 AM
I'm surprised the writer used the word "cruddy" in copy. Blech.

89Hen
June 5th, 2006, 08:24 AM
You guys remember the hack piece from a Pittsburgh sports writer last year about this exact topic? Sounds like the same drivel and I'm sure the responses will be just as pathetic. Great reply JSO!

PantherRob82
June 5th, 2006, 10:26 AM
I remember when UNI used to get games against the MAC teams. After a couple wins we can't get anything except BCS for 1-a games.

dbackjon
June 5th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Great response, JSO! :hurray:

GeauxColonels
June 5th, 2006, 08:11 PM
i really hope there are some big upsets this year. man would he be eating his own words.

its too bad writers like this dont do better research before writing their articles.

I agree....it's settled.

Everyone pull for Nicholls State to run over Nebraska in Lincoln! :thumbsup:

TheValleyRaider
June 5th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I agree....it's settled.

Everyone pull for Nicholls State to run over Nebraska in Lincoln! :thumbsup:

You had to ask? :D :thumbsup:

Geaux Nicholls!

GeauxColonels
June 6th, 2006, 12:43 PM
You had to ask? :D :thumbsup:

Geaux Nicholls!

Well, it was mostly meant for McNeese and Northwestern fans. I would like to think that any I-AA fan pulls for fellow teams against the I-A schools.

putter
June 6th, 2006, 01:26 PM
At least he did "mention" that the top 15 or so teams could compete in the middle of I-A but he sure skipped over the part where the records of aforementioned I-A conferences are not very good against the BCS leagues. Come to think of it, the records of most I-A non-BCS leagues against the BCS are not that good. Narrow thinking.....:bawling:

carney2
June 6th, 2006, 02:07 PM
C'mon, guys. Here's a direct quote from the article:

"All this is not meant as an indictment of I-AA football. Heck, there probably are 15 or so I-AA programs that easily could hold their own in the non-BCS leagues and a few programs that would do as well as the bottom feeders in the BCS leagues.

But let's get serious: It's hard to get excited when Sam Houston State or Western Carolina or Nicholls State comes to town -- to name just three I-AA schools playing at BCS-league opponents this season."

Is he really dissing I-AA?

OR

Are these really valid points?

The only I-A program with which I have any familiarity is Penn State. In order to gain the privilege of purchasing a ticket, one needs to first pony up big bucks to the Nittany Lion Club. Then, and only then, do you have the right to spend $50.00 - $60.00 per seat for each game. Two season tickets come to something in the $800.00 range (there are no individual game tickets available). Then, you consider that Penn State is in the middle of nowhere and, with the exception of students, most fans are traveling over 100 miles one way for each game. These people signed up for Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame. They have no control over the Big Ten bottom feeders such as Illinois and Indiana, but they are incensed that the AD has used his discretionary scheduling power to place a Youngstown State in front of them on a lovely September Saturday afternoon. Can you blame them?

No disrespect intended to YSU. Personally, I think that they are going to do very well this year. I had them at No. 4 on my AGS Preseason Poll. It's on the schedule and can't be ignored. Still, walk a mile in the other guy's shoes before you start all of this I-AA chest thumping.

blukeys
June 6th, 2006, 02:50 PM
C'mon, guys. Here's a direct quote from the article:

"All this is not meant as an indictment of I-AA football. Heck, there probably are 15 or so I-AA programs that easily could hold their own in the non-BCS leagues and a few programs that would do as well as the bottom feeders in the BCS leagues.

But let's get serious: It's hard to get excited when Sam Houston State or Western Carolina or Nicholls State comes to town -- to name just three I-AA schools playing at BCS-league opponents this season."

Is he really dissing I-AA?

OR

Are these really valid points?

The only I-A program with which I have any familiarity is Penn State. In order to gain the privilege of purchasing a ticket, one needs to first pony up big bucks to the Nittany Lion Club. Then, and only then, do you have the right to spend $50.00 - $60.00 per seat for each game. Two season tickets come to something in the $800.00 range (there are no individual game tickets available). Then, you consider that Penn State is in the middle of nowhere and, with the exception of students, most fans are traveling over 100 miles one way for each game. These people signed up for Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame. They have no control over the Big Ten bottom feeders such as Illinois and Indiana, but they are incensed that the AD has used his discretionary scheduling power to place a Youngstown State in front of them on a lovely September Saturday afternoon. Can you blame them?

The article focuses on the 12 game schedule as opposed to the 11 game schedule and how this creates lousy games. He then focuses on the increased nuumber of I-AA games as "proof" that there will be more lousy games. If he had included the other I-A conferences such as the MAC or Sunbelt and used these games as well as I-AA games as "proof" of watered down competition I would not have had a problem with what he said. The fact is he didn't include other I-A conferences and depite his qualifiers it is clear that his jabs were at I-AA / I-A matchups.

Regarding Penn State:
I think it is highly unlikely that Joe Pa will schedule a USC, Notre Dame or Miami with the 12th game. More than likely Penn State fans would get an Akron, Toledo or YSU. This gives PSU and extra home (and money making) game. While Penn State fans might prefer a big name matchup, they still attend the games in droves and I don't think substituting I-A Akron for I-AA Youngstown will make them any happier.