PDA

View Full Version : Best program that has never won a NC?

D1B
May 22nd, 2005, 09:26 PM
I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I'm trying to set the 24 Hour AGS "New Thread" record.

Anyway, I'd unfortunately put Northern Iowa at or close to the top. I'm also thinking Western Illinois too.

Tribe4SF
May 22nd, 2005, 09:32 PM
Add W&M to the list of contenders. Second best winning percentage in the A-10.

P2TheB
May 22nd, 2005, 09:35 PM
Or best team to never make a national championship game....UNI.

Maybe this year?

Pantherpower
May 22nd, 2005, 09:40 PM
I'd say it's between McNeese St. and UNI for having never won the National Title. Appalachian State has to be mentioned as well.

D1B
May 22nd, 2005, 09:44 PM
I'd say it's between McNeese St. and UNI for having never won the National Title. Appalachian State has to be mentioned as well.

I could be wrong Power, but didn't McNeese win one not too long ago?

Pantherpower
May 22nd, 2005, 09:47 PM
Nope. They've been there twice, losing both to Gateway members YSU and WKU.

D1B
May 22nd, 2005, 10:21 PM
Nope. They've been there twice, losing both to Gateway members YSU and WKU.

Thanks Power/ Ralph. I'd then put McNeese up there. They have had some awfully good teams over the years.

wkuhillhound
May 22nd, 2005, 11:10 PM
I would also mention Lehigh. They have a traditionally strong I-AA football program for years.

WCU LawCat
May 23rd, 2005, 07:22 AM
Its App. I'll be honest with you. If they finally won a national title, Boone and Grandfather Mountain would burn down.

89Hen
May 23rd, 2005, 08:07 AM
Three way tie IMO.

ChickenMan
May 23rd, 2005, 08:55 AM
Has to be McNeese St... they've been to the finals twice... neither ASU or UNI have made it that far yet.

blukeys
May 23rd, 2005, 11:29 AM
My vote goes to McNeese not only have they been to the finals twice but they have been a consistent winner since the 60's. I consider UNI and App. State a close second.

eaglefan452
May 23rd, 2005, 01:15 PM
McNeese is definitely tops, they have had some great seasons in past but just haven't been able to get over that hump.

appst89
May 23rd, 2005, 01:29 PM
I should point out that ASU is tied with Jackson State for the most times making the playoffs without winning the title... but I won't. :)

Maybe we could hang a banner for that????

buckp
May 23rd, 2005, 01:34 PM
Can I pass the collection plate around? ;)
We (McNeese) need some help....

eaglesrthe1
May 23rd, 2005, 04:07 PM
I would have to give the edge to UNI. F I V E times in the semis, and hasn't yet gotten a shot at the whole shebang. Four of the five times they ran into the eventual champ. Kinda reminds me of the Vikings futility in the NFL. Must have something to do with purple. :D

ASU would be a close 2nd. JMO

Mr. C
May 23rd, 2005, 09:59 PM
This sounds like a great column someday in I-AA.org, or a feature article for the preview magazine.

My vote is split between McNeese State and Appalachian State (maybe they ought to play sometime to decide this honor).

McNeese had great shots at winning it all in 1995 (what a great team), lost by a single point in 1997 (Cowboy fans probably still relive at least one play in the end zone) and lost in the 2002 final without super tailback Vick King.

App State had a great shot in 1987 (lost to a Marshall team in the semifinals it had beaten earlier in the season) and the 1995 club was 12-0 before injuries took their toll in the quarterfinals (All-Americans cornerback Matt Stevens and middle linebacker Joe DiBernardo). The Mountaineers were also a heartbeat away from beating Montana in Washington-Grizzly Stadium and making the final in 2000 (a diving tackle on Troy Albea's long tunnel screen and moments later, a fingertipped pass deflection with Rashad Slade ready to haul in the game-winner).

Northern Iowa and Western Illinois also draw my sympathy. Few people realize how good that 2003-04 Leatherneack team was. With a couple of breaks, WIU could have played for back-to-back national titles.

polsongrizz
May 23rd, 2005, 11:44 PM
Can I pass the collection plate around? ;)
We (McNeese) need some help....
I Pick McNeese as the best losers...pass the plate please... :D ;)
http://cache.corbis.com/agent/13/14/81/13148198.jpg

galojay
May 24th, 2005, 08:03 AM
I'd have to go with App State and McNeese.

The Gadfly
May 24th, 2005, 10:51 AM
COASTAL CAROLINA :eek: