PDA

View Full Version : Iowa RB Marcus Coker transfers to Stony Brook

danefan
January 31st, 2012, 08:30 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/star-iowa-rb-transfers-to-stony-brook-1.3490994

1300+ yards in the Big Ten......add him to Maysonnet and you've got a serious 1-2 punch.

oceandogs
January 31st, 2012, 08:32 AM
Stony Brook's Maysonet and Jackolski combined for over 3000 yards last year running behind an offensive line featuring two sophomores and two freshman. With all their tight ends and fullbacks returning, Maysonet-Coker backfield should be special.

clenz
January 31st, 2012, 08:53 AM
Coker will dominate that conference.....

Wildcat80
January 31st, 2012, 09:13 AM
Wow! Now that is a 5 star transfer!

Sam_Kats
January 31st, 2012, 09:21 AM
Seawolves were pretty dang good last yr - this will only make them stronger. Good pickup!

underdawg
January 31st, 2012, 09:32 AM
No, GREAT pick-up. Stoney Brook scooped all of FCS recruiting with this one. Congrats to SU!

RichH2
January 31st, 2012, 09:34 AM
Wow, phenominal get for SB. Congratulations.

aceinthehole
January 31st, 2012, 09:43 AM
Ugh:(

CCSU opens up against that at LaValle next year. With our pourous run defense I hope it doesn't get too ugly.

Congrats to the Seawolves, they have upped the ante in the Big South that's for sure.

MplsBison
January 31st, 2012, 09:55 AM
Umm...what the heck happened in Iowa City?

Dude is a double major, with one being Physics. Not a typical "dumb, thug jock" type of guy.

Hope the girl is run out of town.

kdinva
January 31st, 2012, 09:57 AM
Stony Brook's Maysonet and Jackolski combined for over 3000 yards last year running behind an offensive line featuring two sophomores and two freshman. With all their tight ends and fullbacks returning, Maysonet-Coker backfield should be special.

I'd say so...........just wonder if Liberty will get jealous?

SumItUp
January 31st, 2012, 10:04 AM
Great pickup for Stony Brook. This solidifies their standing as the favorite going into next season.

downbythebeach
January 31st, 2012, 10:40 AM
it was really only a matter of time before SBU started taking off. they were a sleeping giant for so long.

RichH2
January 31st, 2012, 11:01 AM
Agree they have schollies , facilities , money and will.

MplsBison
January 31st, 2012, 12:29 PM
Being the state flagship research university of NY probably helps too! AAU member and all.

oceandogs
January 31st, 2012, 12:31 PM
Agree they have schollies , facilities , money and will.

I think the real selling point for Coker was the Physics department which is a top 25 program. If he's actually physics nerd, and surprisingly it seems like he is, Stony Brook is a pretty cool place to be.

401ks
January 31st, 2012, 01:35 PM
Hope the girl is run out of town.

xbangx

Are-you-friggin'-kidding-me?

What kind of complete a**hole posts a comment like that??

xnonono2x

I always thought that MplsBison was one of the most brain-dead posters on this board, but now I am absolutely convinced.

frozennorth
January 31st, 2012, 05:33 PM
xbangx

xnonono2x

I always thought that MplsBison was one of the most brain-dead posters on this board, but now I am absolutely convinced.

qft.

anyway if coker can play next year, sbu is now a darkhorse, at worst. Probably preseason top-10.

clenz
January 31st, 2012, 05:44 PM
Umm...what the heck happened in Iowa City?

Dude is a double major, with one being Physics. Not a typical "dumb, thug jock" type of guy.

Hope the girl is run out of town.Iowa City has a lot of issues with their football program and players leaving the program for "undisclosed reasons"....

They never comment on why, but it almost always comes out, and less than 20% of the time it isn't positive. Most of the time it's drugs, getting 2 girls pregnant as well as your girlfriend having them find out along with drugs, etc....

Hell, Iowa is signing a kid that got arrested and charged with drug charges (at 17 years old). He was with his buddy in a car, a cop went to pull them over and he bolted and ran from the cops. In the care they found booze and drugs, hit him with those charges and then resisting arrest.....He'll fit in well with their program.

HenZoneNation
January 31st, 2012, 06:49 PM
Iowa City has a lot of issues with their football program and players leaving the program for "undisclosed reasons"....

They never comment on why, but it almost always comes out, and less than 20% of the time it isn't positive. Most of the time it's drugs, getting 2 girls pregnant as well as your girlfriend having them find out along with drugs, etc....

Hell, Iowa is signing a kid that got arrested and charged with drug charges (at 17 years old). He was with his buddy in a car, a cop went to pull them over and he bolted and ran from the cops. In the care they found booze and drugs, hit him with those charges and then resisting arrest.....He'll fit in well with their program.

Bingo...dudes don't leave Big Ten schools because of a Physics program...I have feeling he was shown the door. Coker, good back but a bad date.

Seawolf97
January 31st, 2012, 07:30 PM
Coker was investigated 10 ways to Sunday by SBU and appears to be clear . He was a 2nd Team all Big Ten Selection last year with 15 TD's and 1394 yards. Also Adrian Coxson a 6'1 wide receiver transfer from Maryland will sign with SBU tomorrow. He was an ESPN 4 Star rated at 101 and had quite a few BCS schools after him in high school. Should be be an interesting season.

danefan
January 31st, 2012, 08:05 PM
Coker was investigated 10 ways to Sunday by SBU and appears to be clear . He was a 2nd Team all Big Ten Selection last year with 15 TD's and 1394 yards. Also Adrian Coxson a 6'1 wide receiver transfer from Maryland will sign with SBU tomorrow. He was an ESPN 4 Star rated at 101 and had quite a few BCS schools after him in high school. Should be be an interesting season.

I would be confident if Chuck Priore looked into it, he's good to go. Priore doesn't mess around.

MplsBison
January 31st, 2012, 08:13 PM
xbangx

xnonono2x

I'm sure that's how you'd feel if it was your son being falsely accused of rape and having his life ruined.

MplsBison
January 31st, 2012, 08:14 PM
Iowa City has a lot of issues with their football program and players leaving the program for "undisclosed reasons"....

I get it. Minnesota has its fair share of those as well.

My point was that Coker did not appear to be of that type.

oceandogs
January 31st, 2012, 08:57 PM
I would be confident if Chuck Priore looked into it, he's good to go. Priore doesn't mess around.

He really doesn't. He kicked our best defensive lineman off the team two years ago for mouthing off to a ref and getting an unsportsmanlike call in the final seconds of our loss to Lafayette.

oceandogs
January 31st, 2012, 09:04 PM
Bingo...dudes don't leave Big Ten schools because of a Physics program...I have feeling he was shown the door. Coker, good back but a bad date.

He left on his accord. Iowa let him play 5 games after the allegation, and the coach went on record saying he expected him back in the spring.

frozennorth
January 31st, 2012, 09:38 PM
i thought coker was in trouble for academic dishonesty for helping a friend cheat on a final?

401ks
January 31st, 2012, 10:13 PM
I'm sure that's how you'd feel if it was your son being falsely accused of rape and having his life ruined.

xbangx

http://chucksblog.emc.com/.a/6a00d83451be8f69e20162fd306974970d-800wi

xnonono2x

(Okay, where is that ignore button on this board?)

Found it! Ahhhhhhhhhh.... That will raise the intelligence of the posts that I read on this board by at least 50 points.

xhurrayx

ursus arctos horribilis
January 31st, 2012, 10:17 PM
Click on his name, got to "view profile" and then click the "Add to ignore list" when hit his profile page.

BlueHenSinfonian
February 1st, 2012, 01:11 AM

Just from the original article he sounds like a serious student. Perhaps his motivation to leave Iowa was due to more than purely academic concerns, but if the quality of education wasn't important to him there are plenty of bigger football schools he could have gone to, including some at the FCS level, in lieu of Stony Brook.

Brad82
February 1st, 2012, 06:17 AM
Looks like SBU is serious about winning.

Seawolf97
February 1st, 2012, 08:59 AM
Just from the original article he sounds like a serious student. Perhaps his motivation to leave Iowa was due to more than purely academic concerns, but if the quality of education wasn't important to him there are plenty of bigger football schools he could have gone to, including some at the FCS level, in lieu of Stony Brook.

Quite true. But why does any kid in any sport pick a certain school over seemingly better programs? We have a Top 150 PF in basketball coming in September. He turned down offers to Villanova, Illinois and several Ivy programs. Academics, facilities, coaching staff who knows. Curry at Davidson several years ago had offers from ACC and Big Ten schools but played at a relatively tiny school with a good rep in basketball. It is anybody's guess why they do what they do.

clenz
February 1st, 2012, 11:01 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/12/iowa-rb-marcus-coker-suspended-for-bowl-game/1

The sophomore (Coker) from Beltsville, Md., won't make the trip for the Dec. 30 game against Oklahoma at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Ariz., coach Kirk Ferentz said in a press release. The release cited unexplained "disciplinary reasons" for the decision. "The issue involves University of Iowa policies, and has resulted in Coker being in violation of the UI Student-Athlete Code of Conduct," according to the release.

Like I said, it always comes out as "unidisclosed violations".....then comes out later

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/story/2012-01-10/iowa-marcus-coker-assault-complaint/52497326/1

According to an Iowa City Police Department incident report from Oct. 28, 2011, obtained by an open records request, Coker was the suspect of an assault investigation initiated that day.
According to that report, a woman reported to police that she was the victim of an assault at Coker's residence, 618 Iowa Ave. The alleged assault took place sometime between 1:15-1:30 p.m. on Oct. 28.

Keep in mind, given Iowa's track record...he wasn't suspended for 8 weeks after that.

clenz
February 1st, 2012, 11:03 AM
FWIW....here is the kid they signed today...and his arrest from just before the season

Malloy, who also was arraigned Monday, pleaded not guilty to charges of obstructing a peace officer, second-degree criminal trespass, possession of drug paraphernalia and driving without headlights.

Read more: http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/article_50d7bad0-cc60-5f5f-8584-ff609567ef53.html#ixzz1l9OemC00

clenz
February 1st, 2012, 11:04 AM
BTW....taking a RB frow the University of Iowa is always very dangers....check their track record

2002:
1) Aaron Greving, the projected starter is injured in fall and spring and abruptly quits mid way through the season.
2) Justice Hariston fails to qualify, goes to prep school and then to Purdue where he has a decent, injury free, career.

2003:
1) Superstud Jermelle Lewis tears ACL and misses first half of season and is not the same.
2) Promising frosh Albert Young breaks leg. Out for year.
3) AJ Johnson lasts a semester before getting kicked out.

2004:
1) Shonn Greene fails to qualify out of high school
2) Fred Russell leaves early
3) Lewis tears other ACL
4) Albert Young tears ACL misses second full season.
5) Marcus Schnoor tears ACL
6) I think Champ Davis tears an ACL at some point as well.

2005:
1) Ferentz tricks the Angry Iowa-Running-Back-Hating-God by briefly moving Damian Sims to corner. Sims is the only scholarship RB to go four years without a major injury.

2006:
1) Kalvin Bailey - flunked out after one year
2) Corey Robertson - flunked out after one year

2007:
1) Shonn Greene ineligible
2) Dana Brown - beats up girlfriend and gets the boot during the great purge of '07

2008:
1) Jevon Pugh - left school after one year
2) Jeff Brinson - injured and redshirts
3) Nate Guillory - leaves in fall camp
4) Paki #2 on depth chart throughout season

2009:
1) Shonn Greene leaves early
2) Jewel Hampton tears ACL in fall camp
3) Brinson still injured has one carry
4) Adam Robinson and Brandon Wegher do a nice job but usually one or both is at least hobbled
5) Paki again a staple on depth chart

2010:
1) Brinson leaves before spring ball
2) Wegher - slips one past the goalies
3) Coker - breaks collarbone before pads are even on
4) Hampton - torn ACL by game three, transfers prior to bowl
5) Robinson - concussions, then academics, not in good standing
6) Paki apparently also injured.
7) Brad Rogers sidelined by heart condition

2011:
1) Iowa 2011 RB recruit Rodney Coe falls short on academics, forced to play JUCO
2) McCall breaks ankle in first game of his career
3) Iowa 2012 RB recruit Malloy is struck by AIRBHG early and gets arrested
4) Jordan Canzeri injures hamstring
5) McCall returns from injury, only to enter the doghouse and be suspended
6) Coker suspended for violating UI Student-Athlete Code of Conduct

oceandogs
February 1st, 2012, 11:18 AM
Clenz, there was an investigation, but it didn't lead to any charges and the case is closed.This kid is a legitimate NFL prospect taking more difficult classes than most of us on this board and is currently on time to graduate in 8 semesters with degree from a top 25 program. I personally think the fact that he's willing to burden himself with coursework he does, considering how tangible the NFL is for him, speaks volumes about his character.

clenz
February 1st, 2012, 11:29 AM
Do you live in the state of Iowa? Serious question I would like answered before I go on with the "no charges filed" comment.

You can be smart and be of lower character....no I'm not calling Coker low character. The reason he transferred was that his suspension hadn't been lifted as of the time he requested his release. There are also quite a few rumblings there are other actions that led to the suspension and it might not have been tied directly to the sexual assault.

MplsBison
February 1st, 2012, 01:08 PM
(Okay, where is that ignore button on this board?)

Found it! Ahhhhhhhhhh.... That will raise the intelligence of the posts that I read on this board by at least 50 points.

xhurrayx

Good - you should be embarrassed for such a disgusting comment. Now retreat back into your hole and contemplate DIII athletics.

BisonHype!
February 1st, 2012, 01:26 PM
Nice job! Props to Stony Brook for going out and getting a big time name player.

danefan
February 1st, 2012, 02:04 PM
Do you live in the state of Iowa? Serious question I would like answered before I go on with the "no charges filed" comment.

You can be smart and be of lower character....no I'm not calling Coker low character. The reason he transferred was that his suspension hadn't been lifted as of the time he requested his release. There are also quite a few rumblings there are other actions that led to the suspension and it might not have been tied directly to the sexual assault.

So Clenzy - you're saying that SBU fans should believe internet conjecture and a comparison to other Iowa incidents and recruits wholly unrelated to Coker over an independent analysis completed by their Coach who has proven time and time again that he doesn't tolerate crap from anyone let alone his players?

I don't live in Iowa, but I heard Chuck Norris does.

ASU_Fanatic
February 1st, 2012, 02:09 PM
They gonna have a squad

Yote 53
February 1st, 2012, 04:13 PM
Clenz,

You are a UNI fan and Iowa hater. Ferentz runs his program with class that is why he quietly gets rid of kids who are not fitting in without publicly trashing them.

As for Malloy, you are so off based about this kid it's not even funny. One would think by your post he is some hardened criminal, couldn't be further from the truth. Yeah, I am in Sioux City almost daily, know all about this kid.

I suspect you are just peeved that UNI didn't get Coker like they have others who have left the Iowa program.

Fordham
February 1st, 2012, 04:42 PM
Wow! Kudos to SB!

clenz
February 1st, 2012, 10:33 PM
Who, other than Benny Sapp, has UNI taken from Iowa? Im leary of any rb from UI...or anyone in general. Check the police blotter in Iowa City over the last 5_7 years and youll find a **** ton of Hawkeye FB players.

Coker may turn out well for sbu and I hope he does...however, for anyone to claim iowa doesn't have issues is stupid and they are clearly a hawk apologist

Dane96
February 2nd, 2012, 05:41 AM
Clenz,

Frankly...your being beyond silly. Every school...every year...has some athlete--and regular student--issues. Let me repeat that: EVERY SCHOOL.

Many of us know of, or personally know Priore. Unless something magically happened...the guy vetted it out pretty thoroughly. He is a no bull**** guy.

Further, the word "sexual assault" has been bandied about so easily in the last few years that quite frankly, I wait until A) someones indicted; and B) they are actually tried on facts...not supposition. Point in fact: we had an employee claim sexual assault based on specious circumstances (I am actually writting the exec summary on it right now). As an FYI...Sexual Assault can simply mean unwarranted advances based on words. The standard is ridiculous.

Now...I certainly don't justify anyone who commits a sexual act against the wishes of another...any gender against any gender...but I am at least going to let the facts speak for themselves.

The facts are: the kid DID not have the judicial system punish him because of the circumstances. Furthermore, Kirk Ferentz publicly stated he was surprised Coker transferred and expected the kid back.

Stop bashing what frankly is an UNREAL pick-up for a school that is not named "Montana, UNI, James Madison, Delaware, other major FCS schools and basically the entire FBS." This is a major at, for all intents and purposes, a minor school.

I think you can waste your time in more productive and creative ways. xnonono2x

MplsBison
February 2nd, 2012, 08:21 AM
Especially Big Ten schools. You're talking public schools with at least 20k full time students living on or near campus aged 18-22.

Guaranteed there are arrests - every week. Kids are stupid.

clenz
February 2nd, 2012, 08:45 AM
Especially Big Ten schools. You're talking public schools with at least 20k full time students living on or near campus aged 18-22.

Guaranteed there are arrests - every week. Kids are stupid.Yes there are every weekend....Iowa is in the top 5 every year with players arrested though.

From the 2010 season the teams with the most players with criminal records from the pre-season top 25 (as compiled by SportsIllustrated
Team Charges Preseason Rank
1. Pittsburgh 22 16
2. Iowa 18 6
2. Arkansas 18 23
4. Boise State 16 3
4. Penn State 16 19
6. Virginia Tech 13 10
7. Wisconsin 9 11
7. Oklahoma 9 12
7. Florida State 9 25
10. Miami 8 15
11. Ohio State 7 2
11. Florida 7 7
11. Oregon 7 8
11. USC 7 17
15. Alabama 5 1
15. North Carolina 5 13
15. Cincinnati 5 18
15. Utah 5 22
19. Nebraska 4 9
19. Georgia Tech 4 14
19. Oregon State 4 20
22. LSU 3 21
23. Texas 2 4
24. Stanford 1 24
25. TCU 0 5

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/the_bonus/02/27/cfb.crime/index.html#ixzz1lEcsftAC

There is another list I'll try to find back, but it listed the arrests from 06-08 or 09 and Iowa was either second or third on that list as well.

Listen, Coker may be a fantastic kid....but to get suspended at Iowa takes some doing. Ferentz probably expected him back because he didn't kick him off the team and the kid was an All B1G performer. His transfer after being linked to a sexual assualt, and later a suspension for "disciplinary rules" which may have come from a separate incident leads to wondering.

The reason I asked if you were from Iowa is to get an idea if you have seen the coverage that Iowa gets with all of their legal issues....keep in mind Iowa is the university that had a female student raped in her dorm by a couple football players, she reported it to the university and they (the athletic department and even the coaching staff) covered it up for a couple years and did everything they could to discredit and mudsling the victim. (read the link, and other links in it for further info; http://deadspin.com/5027393/university-of-iowa-athletic-staff-conspired-to-cover-up-a-sexual-assault)

You can say Ferentz runs a classy program because as a coach he isn't involved in these big time cases like other programs, but the fact is the program has a **** ton of issues.....Do some research on the program and you'll understand why I question Coker leaving the program....Maybe it was to get away from that hell hole of an environment. If so, good for him.

The other reason I asked if you lived in Iowa is to see if you understand how the football program is treated by the media and fans in Iowa. Iowa doesn't have any professional programs.....and because of this the football program is treated like an NFL program, and their players have referred to themselves as "the professional team in Iowa". The media in Iowa is very very slow and reluctant to actually blow the lid on anything with that university. A lot of times arrests are made but charges are dropped once public pressure builds from the fan base....Stories similar to this have come up in the Coker case.....No one wants to be responsible for anything bad happening to that program.

Like I've said, I hope none of this applies to Coker. I hope he is leaving to get away from that toxic culture.....it really is a way of life in Iowa City at this point. I hope he excells at SBU, and leads them to great things. I watched a couple SBU games last season and really enjoyed watching them play. All I'm saying is that something is fishy with it. However, he is from Maryland so there is "some" east coast connection there.

Dane96
February 2nd, 2012, 09:09 AM
You are making yourself sound like you grew up w/o TV.

Sports Illustrated? Really.

Just stop now.

Yote 53
February 2nd, 2012, 09:32 AM
I grew up in Iowa, live right across the border in SD, am an avid Hawkeye fan and follow the program closely. You misrepresent most everything you are saying about the Iowa program. So Iowa is high on that criminal arrest record you sighted. Have you looked at what the offenses were? 99.9% of them are for underage drinking/public intox which is not uncommon for ANY college student, not to mention the ICPD likes to give those tickets out like candy. I know, my own brother got one in IC because the arresting officer saw him "fumble for his ATM card when he was using the machine", yeah, ridiculous. IC is a freaking police state, no wonder the # of arrests are high.

With regards to Coker, the reason he left is because he was accused of sexual assuault, the ICPD investigated and found nothing. The University Administration policy is, however, that before he would be allowed on campus he had to sign a statement admitting what he had done (for liability reasons for the University, in case someone who had been accused in the past actually committed a crime in the future). Coker wasn't going to admit to something he hadn't done, was upset and put off by the University Administration and transferred out of the school. This was not a football decision, had nothing to do with the football dept, in fact, they athletic dept is pretty pissed at how University Administration handled this whole thing. As for Coker, football isn't his life, education is important as you can tell by his majors, and Stony Brook offers him what he wants academically while affording him the opportunity to play football.

Yeah, I also know the whole story on the Malloy thing, having gone to the same high school and all, and it's a case of HS kids being stupid, drinking, one of the people he was with had some weed (as far too many HS kids are prone to do these days). Dumb mistake, but hardly the hardened criminal you make him out to be. Overall good kid from a good family, I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson by LOSING his scholarship over it and doubtful he'll screw up again.