PDA

View Full Version : What is the best stadium in I-AA??

TheBisonator
June 2nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
They recently had this discussion on the DII football board, and I thought it would be nice to start one here. I was wondering what school in I-AA do you think has the best stadium?? But you don't necessarily have to pick one stadium, there could be a best stadium in several different categories. The reason is that I'm not entirely convinced that one stadium in I-AA has the best of most or all categories over all others. In my opinion, there would most likely be four main categories in terms of rating stadiums. Those would be Amenities/Condition (How nice of a condition is your stadium, and what kind of special amenities and/or technology does it offer?), Atmosphere (What's the actual game-day atmosphere like, in terms of attendance, fan boisterousnes and tailgating?), Player Accomodations (Is it a place that the home team enjoys playing in, and feels at home in?) and size (How much can your stadium seat??).

I think in these four categories, I would place them as follows:

Atmosphere: Montana
Amenities/Condition: North Dakota State
Player Accomodations: Delaware
Size: Jackson State

This is how I would also rank the top-five stadiums in I-AA overall:

1. Montana
2. Delaware
3. Jackson State
4. North Dakota State
5. Youngstown State

Honourable Mention: Northern Iowa, Western Kentucky, Grambling, Appalachian State, Western Carolina

What do you think??

CatFan22
June 2nd, 2006, 09:41 PM
90-99% of the answers will all be Montana. End of discussion.

TheBisonator
June 2nd, 2006, 09:42 PM
90-99% of the answers will all be Montana. End of discussion.

Are you sure about that?? I think there are some places that have the edge over Montana in some aspects.

SU Jag
June 2nd, 2006, 09:44 PM
Montana
Youngstown State
Jackson State
Alabama A&M:nod:
Southern:nod: :nod: :nod:
Georgia Southern
Northwestern St
Grambling
Northern Iowa

TheBisonator
June 2nd, 2006, 09:52 PM
Montana
Youngstown State
Jackson State
Georgia Southern
Northwestern St
Grambling
Northern Iowa

You out Northern Iowa on your list, but not NDSU?? : smh : : smh : : smh : We need you to take you on a tour of both the Fargodome and the UNI Dome so you can see how the two compare side by side...

Ronbo
June 2nd, 2006, 09:55 PM
Actually I'm jealous of Princeton.:cool:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/new_jersey/princeton_stadium.jpg

griz&beer
June 2nd, 2006, 10:10 PM
The Press box at Wa Griz needs to get fixed up. They need more seats on the East and West sides too...

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 2nd, 2006, 10:14 PM
I think it would be hard to beat Princeton. Montana is probably the only one that comes close. The others listed aren't even close.

kats89
June 2nd, 2006, 10:21 PM
Montana
Youngstown State
Jackson State
Georgia Southern
Northwestern St
Grambling
Northern Iowa

Northwestern St?:confused: no,no,no,no: smh :

Baldy
June 2nd, 2006, 10:28 PM
Honourable Mention: Northern Iowa, Western Kentucky, Grambling, Appalachian State, Western Carolina

What do you think??
Negative on that one, Ghostrider. Too much plywood and too many 2X4's. Not to mention the concession stands are Coke Wagons and the bathrooms are Porta Johns. With the new renovations at WCU and The Citadel, along with Elon's new stadium, Kidd Brewer could now be considered the worst football facility in the SoCon.

However, it should be noted that App will be starting renovations sometime soon.

Jackluv
June 2nd, 2006, 10:28 PM
Both UNI and NDSU are very comparable to NAU

slostang
June 2nd, 2006, 10:31 PM
You out Northern Iowa on your list, but not NDSU?? : smh : : smh : : smh : We need you to take you on a tour of both the Fargodome and the UNI Dome so you can see how the two compare side by side...
I have not been to the Fargo Dome, but from what I have heard it is a beautiful facility. The only complaint that I have heard about the Fargo Dome is that they have the old style Astro Turf which is hard on the players.

igo4uni
June 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
I thought Finley Stadium in Chatty was a pretty darn nice stadium.

TheBisonator
June 2nd, 2006, 10:54 PM

Ummm... No. Come up to Fargo and take a tour of our dome. The Fargodome is in NO WAY on the same level of UNI or NAU's domes. It's FAR beyond that.

FOUR large LCD video boards. (There's no NFL stadium that exists that even has that many video boards!!) Two gigantic new Daktronics scoreboards on the upper ends. 18 luxury suites. A 50 yard-long press box. New football locker rooms, meeting rooms and coaches offices. Seating for about 19,000. Numerous specialized concessions, including Subway, Famous Daves, Mrs. Field's Cookies and Domino's Pizza. A Guest Information booth in the concourse on the 50 yard-line on the East side. Seating on ALL FOUR SIDES of the field.

It's on a whole other level.

Jackluv
June 2nd, 2006, 11:00 PM
ya ill be sure to schedule another trip to Fargo soon
plane tickets to Hawaii and Fargo are hard to come by now though xlolx

i would actually have to trip to the Fargodome to check this out but iv been to both UNI and NAU which im sure U havent and they are very nice. NAU seats 17,000 i think and UNI is about 15,000. UNI's crowd is insane!!:bow:

slostang
June 2nd, 2006, 11:04 PM
ya ill be sure to schedule another trip to Fargo soon
plane tickets to Hawaii and Fargo are hard to come by now though xlolx

i would actually have to trip to the Fargodome to check this out but iv been to both UNI and NAU which im sure U havent and they are very nice. NAU seats 17,000 i think and UNI is about 15,000. UNI's crowd is insane!!:bow:
Stang Fever from Cal Poly has played in all three and he gives the nod to the Fargo Dome.

Stang Fever
June 2nd, 2006, 11:40 PM

I have been to both......NDSU is by far the better DOME hands down.....not even close....now atmosphere is a whole another thing

Stang Fever
June 2nd, 2006, 11:40 PM
Stang Fever from Cal Poly has played in all three and he gives the nod to the Fargo Dome.

whats funny about this is that.....i didnt even read your post before i posted the one above this one

Stang Fever
June 2nd, 2006, 11:43 PM

Very Comparable......it goes without saying

1)NDSU the hands down winner

2)UNI - i give them the nod based on the atmosphere

3)NAU - close but just not enough.....but there is a serious home field advantage.....its so damn high up that its hard to breathe

TheBisonator
June 2nd, 2006, 11:48 PM
I have been to both......NDSU is by far the better DOME hands down.....not even close....now atmosphere is a whole another thing

Stang Fever, are you gonna come up to Fargo this fall and watch the Poly-NDSU game?? That particular home game is the one that us Bison fans are afraid will be a poorly-attended one, and we'd love to see some Poly fans come up if they could make the trip.

slostang
June 3rd, 2006, 12:21 AM
whats funny about this is that.....i didnt even read your post before i posted the one above this one
Did not mean to steal your thunder, I just remember you saying that in another post.

crunifan
June 3rd, 2006, 01:38 AM
Considering the SkyDome and the UNI-Dome are university owned stadiums and the FargoDome is owned by the city of Fargo, I think it is pretty obvious the FargoDome better be better.

All I have to say is only one of those dome's have an atmoshpere other teams like to refer as "Dome Magic!" Isn't that right, SIU?:nod:

Ronbo
June 3rd, 2006, 08:34 AM
Ummm... No. Come up to Fargo and take a tour of our dome. The Fargodome is in NO WAY on the same level of UNI or NAU's domes. It's FAR beyond that.

FOUR large LCD video boards. (There's no NFL stadium that exists that even has that many video boards!!) Two gigantic new Daktronics scoreboards on the upper ends. 18 luxury suites. A 50 yard-long press box. New football locker rooms, meeting rooms and coaches offices. Seating for about 19,000. Numerous specialized concessions, including Subway, Famous Daves, Mrs. Field's Cookies and Domino's Pizza. A Guest Information booth in the concourse on the 50 yard-line on the East side. Seating on ALL FOUR SIDES of the field.

It's on a whole other level.

As nice as the FargoDome is, isn't it owned by the city? Why couldn't Tenn. St. claim their Stadium as the best? Should we allow public owned facilities or should the stadium be owned by the school?

The Coliseum in Nashville - Tennesee State
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/tennessee/nashville_coliseum2.jpg

Cocky
June 3rd, 2006, 10:15 AM
As nice as the FargoDome is, isn't it owned by the city? Why couldn't Tenn. St. claim their Stadium as the best? Should we allow public owned facilities or should the stadium be owned by the school?

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/tennessee/nashville_coliseum2.jpg

Tenn State

newsbreaker
June 3rd, 2006, 10:20 AM
Considering the SkyDome and the UNI-Dome are university owned stadiums and the FargoDome is owned by the city of Fargo, I think it is pretty obvious the FargoDome better be better.

All I have to say is only one of those dome's have an atmoshpere other teams like to refer as "Dome Magic!" Isn't that right, SIU?:nod:

The UNI-dome isn't the prettiest facility in the nation (though the HPC and upgrades thanks to the new arena will help BIG TIME,) it's the people who pack into the dome that make it what it is.

I don't think there are many UNI fans who would trade our facility for any other in the country. With one or two exceptions (excluding those just against indoor football in general) there aren't many schools that wouldn't give their left arm for a little bit of their own dome magic!

89Hen
June 3rd, 2006, 10:27 AM
I think it would be hard to beat Princeton. Montana is probably the only one that comes close. The others listed aren't even close.
Correct IMO.

1. Princeton
2. Montana

BTW, anyone who has a track around the field is automatically elimianated IMO.

crunifan
June 3rd, 2006, 10:44 AM
The UNI-dome isn't the prettiest facility in the nation (though the HPC and upgrades thanks to the new arena will help BIG TIME,) it's the people who pack into the dome that make it what it is.

I don't think there are many UNI fans who would trade our facility for any other in the country. With one or two exceptions (excluding those just against indoor football in general) there aren't many schools that wouldn't give their left arm for a little bit of their own dome magic!

I can't agree more! Couldn't word it better myself!

89Hen
June 3rd, 2006, 10:51 AM
The UNI-dome isn't the prettiest facility in the nation it's the people who pack into the dome that make it what it is.
That can be said for most of the college stadiums across the country. Not many are state of the art palaces, but the people make the difference.

blackfordpu
June 3rd, 2006, 10:52 AM

I agree, McNeese St. probably has the best stadium in the SLC.:nod:

saint0917
June 3rd, 2006, 10:53 AM
Yale Bowl. Capacity: 64,269

http://rernes.free.fr/images/etats-unis/new-haven/new-haven-yale-bowl.jpg

GeauxColonels
June 3rd, 2006, 11:00 AM

Really? I actually prefer Texas State's facility to McNeese.

GeauxColonels
June 3rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Although this stadium isn't big by any means, and the crowds aren't huge at all....I think there is one stadium that I have visited that is one of my favorites.

The stadium is right in the middle of the beautiful campus built in the hills. It blends in with its natural and man-made surroundings very nicely and I just think it's a GREAT place to watch a football game: Samford University

blackfordpu
June 3rd, 2006, 11:05 AM

To each his own. Two great facilities though.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/texas/san_marcos_bobcat.jpg

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/louisiana/lake_charles_cowboy.jpg

GeauxColonels
June 3rd, 2006, 11:09 AM
To each his own. Two great facilities though.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/texas/san_marcos_bobcat.jpg

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/louisiana/lake_charles_cowboy.jpg

Don't get me wrong, they're both top-notch. There's just something about TxSt's facility that I like more. Maybe it's the field surface or the new building there. The one thing that McNeese has in it's favor though is the lack of a track in the stadium. I HATE tracks in stadiums!

AppGuy04
June 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM
My vote goes to the UNI Dome

bulldog10jw
June 3rd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Yale Bowl. Capacity: 64,269

http://rernes.free.fr/images/etats-unis/new-haven/new-haven-yale-bowl.jpg

The Bowl is still under renovation. We'll have to see how it turns out. It has always been a great place to watch a game but desperately needed work on the concrete and the seats.

eagle1
June 3rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
I personally don't care for any of the domes but UNI is probably one of the best. I would have to rank Montana as the best however I would think Georgia Southern and Delaware would be a close second. Go Eagles!!!

parr90
June 3rd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Georgia Southerns stadium and their natural playing surface is by far the best I have ever been on.

jstate83
June 3rd, 2006, 02:23 PM
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/mississippi/jackson_memorial.jpg
Memorial Stadium -- 62,000, NO TRACK....................Stadium is a meer 15 yards from the playing field.

Natural Grass surface, (replaced on average every 7 years), Tron connected to the Monitors below the concourse at concession stands.

Locker rooms newly renovated and expanded to NFL standards................Saint's playing pre-game schedule in Jackson.

DFW HOYA
June 3rd, 2006, 02:32 PM
Another vote for the Yale Bowl. Looking forward to visiting it next year.

eagleskins
June 3rd, 2006, 02:37 PM
You can't respect any stadium with a track around it.

ngineer
June 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
Princeton--Hands down. Beautiful, great sight lines and pitch, close to field, excellent rest rooms and concessions..
Montana--obviously from what I've seen and read on here it looks fantastic. Hoping we can get out there sometime.
Delaware--convenient, good lines and facilities. It's not a 'face date' stadium, but very functional
Penn--Franklin Field, IMO is one of the best places to see a game. Yes it is old, facilities could be upgraded and if you're unlucky in the lower deck you can get a post in the way, but to see a game, it's still one of the best.
Lehigh--Goodman's setting, atmosphere and functionality are excellent. One demerit is the stands could be a little closer, but facility was made to accomodate soccer, as well, which has a wider field.
Texas St and McNeese are similar with the exception of TSU having a track.

Go...gate
June 3rd, 2006, 03:40 PM
Princeton, followed by Delaware and Montana (which I have only seen in pictures but it looks great)

MplsBison
June 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
Bisonator, I don't think any screen that large is LCD.

LED, probably.

Stang Fever
June 3rd, 2006, 05:51 PM

true

JohnStOnge
June 3rd, 2006, 06:01 PM

I don't know if it's the best stadium because it's old. However, the atmosphere can be really good when the program is up.

Tod
June 3rd, 2006, 07:22 PM

BS...:twocents:

Jackluv
June 3rd, 2006, 09:05 PM
Very Comparable......it goes without saying

1)NDSU the hands down winner

2)UNI - i give them the nod based on the atmosphere

3)NAU - close but just not enough.....but there is a serious home field advantage.....its so damn high up that its hard to breathe

true about NAU, thats what sucks about playing there is 7,000 ft is killer. last time NAU played Poly, 2 of Poly's players threwup on the turf! hahah:hurray:

blackfordpu
June 3rd, 2006, 09:59 PM
BS...:twocents:

agreed:nod:

Freightliner
June 3rd, 2006, 10:07 PM

I also agree....in terms of pregame atmosphere, fan atmosphere McNeese hands down. Facility wise - Texas State has the Endzone Complex in their favor, but other than that (press box, stands, concessions, security) McNeese is clearly the top in the SLC.

Locker rooms newly renovated and expanded to NFL standards................Saint's playing pre-game schedule in Jackson

Define "NFL Standards" in locker rooms. I've seen a few "NFL standards" locker rooms and they are not much different than any I-A/I-AA locker rooms.

AppMan
June 3rd, 2006, 10:38 PM
Negative on that one, Ghostrider. Too much plywood and too many 2X4's. Not to mention the concession stands are Coke Wagons and the bathrooms are Porta Johns. With the new renovations at WCU and The Citadel, along with Elon's new stadium, Kidd Brewer could now be considered the worst football facility in the SoCon.

However, it should be noted that App will be starting renovations sometime soon.

Yea, the old girl is showing her age, but pretty soon KBS will be the jewell of the SoCon and perhaps 1-aa. Even still, for setting and atmosphere, it's hard to beat KBS!

AppMan
June 3rd, 2006, 10:45 PM

You're right, the LA Coliseum stinks!

SoCon48
June 4th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Yea, the old girl is showing her age, but pretty soon KBS will be the jewell of the SoCon and perhaps 1-aa. Even still, for setting and atmosphere, it's hard to beat KBS!
It may soon have the best field house, but as for seating, temp seats in the end zone isn't going to thrill me.

SoCon48
June 4th, 2006, 11:10 AM
So they're going to have the Rose Bowl at GSU from now on.:rolleyes:

SoCon48
June 4th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Elon would absolutely freak out if 25,000 showed up in their little joint.xcoffeex

Gil Dobie
June 4th, 2006, 01:15 PM

The Fargodome on campus, across the street from old Dakota Field. I used to play softball on the site.

The city leases the land for $1 per year until 2089. NDSU football is the primary tenant.

jstate83
June 4th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I also agree....in terms of pregame atmosphere, fan atmosphere McNeese hands down. Facility wise - Texas State has the Endzone Complex in their favor, but other than that (press box, stands, concessions, security) McNeese is clearly the top in the SLC.

Define "NFL Standards" in locker rooms. I've seen a few "NFL standards" locker rooms and they are not much different than any I-A/I-AA locker rooms.

They were completely torn out and rebuilt under the renovation plan.
The players used "Temporary" locker room's at the stadium during the 2004 season.
These are completely new from top to bottom.

The Individual lockers now are "oversized" for each player, larger showers, dressing area, Training, (medical), area, and structure size. Video monitors for playback/still pictures are set up inside.
These locker rooms are about double the size of the one's in the Superdome.

jstate83
June 4th, 2006, 02:18 PM
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/mississippi/jackson_memorial.jpg
[/B]

Freightliner......................If you look to the right of the picture at the open end of the stadium, that small building right behind the endzone is the OLD LOCKER ROOM.

That's what was replaced.

SoCon48
June 4th, 2006, 10:44 PM

DG, read post #55.

AmsterBison
June 5th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Actually I'm jealous of Princeton.:cool:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/new_jersey/princeton_stadium.jpg

Wow, that's a gorgeous stadium!

UNH 40
June 5th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Some of the unknown nice stadiums in I-AA are Harvard seats 30,898, Princeton seats 27,800, Yale seat 64,269, and believe it or not Holy Cross has a great stadium that seats 23,500 at capacity.

UNH 40
June 5th, 2006, 09:02 AM
cornell is also another nice field capacity 25,300.

colgate13
June 5th, 2006, 09:27 AM
It's obvious that the lack of Ivy interconference games hurts them. Princeton is hands down the best stadium in I-AA. Those of us that have seen it are attesting to it right here.

R.A.
June 5th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Norfolk State, South Carolina State, Harvard, FAMU, Jackson State, Yale, Princeton, Grambling, Southern...

PantherRob82
June 5th, 2006, 10:19 AM
The best stadium i've seen is washington-griz. it wasn't even a game day an i was very impressed. from seeing in person and watching some of the games there on tv, i am very impressed.

other stadiums i've been to:
Western Illinois - could be a nice stadium once the get rid of the high school wood bleachers from the 60's and redo the press box.
New Hampshire - Would love to see them get a parking lot and permanent seating on the visitor side.
U Tenn Chat - Stadium is nice, improvements to the area around it could really improve the atmosphere.

SoCon48
June 5th, 2006, 11:06 AM
The best stadium i've seen is washington-griz. it wasn't even a game day an i was very impressed. from seeing in person and watching some of the games there on tv, i am very impressed.

other stadiums i've been to:
Western Illinois - could be a nice stadium once the get rid of the high school wood bleachers from the 60's and redo the press box.
New Hampshire - Would love to see them get a parking lot and permanent seating on the visitor side.
U Tenn Chat - Stadium is nice, improvements to the area around it could really improve the atmosphere.

UT-C's doesn't belong to UT-C. it belongs to the city of Chattanooga.

Pard4Life
June 5th, 2006, 11:34 AM
It's obvious that the lack of Ivy interconference games hurts them. Princeton is hands down the best stadium in I-AA. Those of us that have seen it are attesting to it right here.

Dead on 13, Princeton is the best. It is located in an ideal setting, plenty of tailgate space, and a prefect field... although their recent move to FieldTurf has me a bit annoyed. The grass always looks immaculate there. Put in some facny folding seats and you have an NFL caliber stadium. Yes, Princeton does seem to have a few boxes too.

My recommendation would be to alter the exterior stone work, replace it with something more ornate, and you'd have a first-class structure.

http://www.brianrose.com/portfolio/princeton/Stadium4.JPG
http://www.aminus3.com/_images/archive/user_000004/image_002556/DSC_7423_small.jpg
http://jjass0.tripod.com/assn1/princetonuniversitystadium.jpg

ezart34
June 5th, 2006, 12:10 PM

I agree with you, however no Southern Jaguar fan would know that, they were scheduled to play in Cowboy Stadium this past year but chickened out, because of Hurricane Katrina, which hit 1 hour plus away from thier campus, supposedly, thier athletic depatment was affected by the storm so they could not play football in Lake Charles on that Saturday, however they made a miraculous recovery and our women's soccer team played thiers on that Sunday. They were scared. In anycase I think McNeese has the best overall gameday atmosphere in the SLC for sure and top 5 nationwide in I-AA. The field gets to mushy in a rain, the stadium and facilities are not well kept, and it's outdated, however gameday atmosphere is awesome. Of all of the I-AA stadiums I have been to, minus the I-AA championship game in Chattanooga, i'd have to go with Georgia Southern as the overall best. That place is first class all the way, their fans are great, would love to play there every year, just a fantastic stadium, super atmosphere, my vot for number 1. :bow:

colgate13
June 5th, 2006, 12:21 PM
If it were a little warmer in December in NJ, and the Ivies were in the playoffs, the I-AA championships should be at Princeton Stadium.

henfan
June 5th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Another vote for Princeton.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/prin/school-bio/pri-prinstadium2.jpg

R.A.
June 5th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Dead on 13, Princeton is the best. It is located in an ideal setting, plenty of tailgate space, and a prefect field... although their recent move to FieldTurf has me a bit annoyed. The grass always looks immaculate there. Put in some facny folding seats and you have an NFL caliber stadium. Yes, Princeton does seem to have a few boxes too.

My recommendation would be to alter the exterior stone work, replace it with something more ornate, and you'd have a first-class structure.

http://www.brianrose.com/portfolio/princeton/Stadium4.JPG
http://www.aminus3.com/_images/archive/user_000004/image_002556/DSC_7423_small.jpg
http://jjass0.tripod.com/assn1/princetonuniversitystadium.jpg

-The MEAC's Hampton Institute:smiley_wi University and Ivy's Princeton University are doing a Home and Home series soon.

Football Announces Upcoming Series With Hampton, The Citadel
Tigers will begin home-and-home meetings with new opponents during 2007 season.

Feb. 8, 2005

PRINCETON - The Princeton University football team, which played its first game on the West Coast in 2004, has added two more non-traditional opponents to its upcoming schedules. Director of Athletics Gary Walters announced Tuesday, Feb. 8, that the Tigers will play a home-and-home series with both the Citadel and Hampton in the near future.

The first of these games will be played on Oct. 6, 2007, when the Hampton Pirates will travel to Princeton Stadium for a contest against the Tigers. Princeton will make the trip down to Hampton, Va., in 2011 on a date to be determined later.

http://goprincetontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020805aaa.html

McTailGator
June 5th, 2006, 09:59 PM

No school with a track in the stadium gets my vote...

Mr. C
June 5th, 2006, 10:19 PM
There are a lot of things to consider when coming up with the best. In terms of atmosphere, nobody beats Montana, though Georgia Southern, McNeese State, Delaware, Appalachian State, Northern Iowa and Southern would have to be in the mix. Montana, however gets a lot of negative points for working conditions, if you are a member of the media. Delaware also has the reputation for having a dump of a press box. Georgia Southern has excellent working conditions, as does Chattanooga. Chattanooga was designed with Marshall Stadium in mind and Marshall had tremendous facilities (though the visiting press had to park miles away from the stadium and they only had ONE phone line for the media to call out on). Chattanooga had some issues in its early years with phone lines, but wireless internet has solved that. Working there for the championship game in 2005 was great. I'd like to see some people talk about the press facilites, etc. in places like Princeton, Yale and Harvard.

In terms of natural beauty, Appalachian State, Davidson and Furman are hard to beat. Harvard and Columbia are also in beautiful settings, along the riverfronts in Boston and New York.

Everything considered, Georgia Southern would get my No. 1 vote for the stadiums from where I've covered games.

bostonspider
June 5th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Another vote for Princeton Stadium. It might not be huge or historic, but is sure is well designed and executed.

http://www.princeton.edu/football/images/stadium3.jpg

http://www.princeton.edu/football/images/stadum2.jpg

http://www.princeton.edu/football/images/stadium1.jpg

http://www.princeton.edu/football/stadium/new9.jpg

http://webce.ent.ohiou.edu/faculty/Steinberg/Image/StructType/Institutional/Stadiums/Princeton%20Stadium2_files/image002.jpg

bostonspider
June 5th, 2006, 10:35 PM
And I know I did just sing the praises of Princeton Stadium, but I do have a soft spot in my heart for old Harvard Stadium, even though it is no more comfortable to watch a game in than the Roman Colisseum it so resembles...

http://www.hmag.harvard.edu/lib/03so/images/stad-062_large.jpg

GSUISBACK
June 5th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Freightliner......................If you look to the right of the picture at the open end of the stadium, that small building right behind the endzone is the OLD LOCKER ROOM.

That's what was replaced.
Is the JSU stadium on campus?

chattanoogamocs
June 5th, 2006, 10:58 PM
UT-C's doesn't belong to UT-C. it belongs to the city of Chattanooga.

UTC and their alums put half the money (it was UTC alums that got the ball rolling, kept it rolling, and paid off the final loan debt last year...and paid for the majority of the new field turf)...the city, county and state put up the rest (the biggest contribution the City made was donating and cleaning up the land). It was a joing venture.

It is not owned by the City of Chattanooga....as a matter of fact, the City didn't want to have anything else to do with it because it has lost money.

When the final debt was retired last year (through a UTC fundraising campaign), the City and County wanted to cede the stadium over to the school. But the three entities decided it would be better to hire Chattanooga Lookouts owner (and UTC supporter) Franke Burke to manage the facility. UTC could have taken over complete ownership, but Burke put together a great financial package to run the stadium (in which he would take all financial risk, but share equally any profit with the school). So it wasa no-brainer imho and in the best interest of the cash strapped UTC Athletic Department let him have a shot.

Most alums (like myself) pushed for Franke to take over because we knew what a great job he could do (UTC does not have the staff...and quite frankly, has too much dead weight right now...to properly manage the stadium). Hopefully, some of this problem will be rectified by our new Athletic Director.

The Stadium was losing about 250K a year...most of this was interest on the remaining debt service...another significant chunk was paid for field maintenance (though many would joke, inluding myself, what the hell did they spend it on? :lol). After the UTC alums paid off the debt service and nearly eliminated field maintenance costs with the new field turf, Frank wa given a little jewel to operate and first the first time ever, broke even this year. Next year should be the first profit year (hmm, only took ten years!).

When Frank's contract is up in 3 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chattanooga (with the new administration in place) possibly take back over.

Little intersting tidbit...the outside brick walls and piers are actually the pre-mold foundation base for a (upper deck) 55,000 seat stadium.

GAD
June 5th, 2006, 11:25 PM
No its in downtown Jackson

RadMann
June 6th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Yale Bowl... ;)

http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/pan/6a29000/6a29100/6a29101r.jpg

jstate83
June 6th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Naw.............................It's about 5 miles away.

This is the stadium that would be torn down if they decide to build us our oun stadium on campus. The location has already been scoped out.:)

Pard4Life
June 6th, 2006, 02:28 PM
-The MEAC's Hampton Institute:smiley_wi University and Ivy's Princeton University are doing a Home and Home series soon.

Football Announces Upcoming Series With Hampton, The Citadel
Tigers will begin home-and-home meetings with new opponents during 2007 season.

Feb. 8, 2005

PRINCETON - The Princeton University football team, which played its first game on the West Coast in 2004, has added two more non-traditional opponents to its upcoming schedules. Director of Athletics Gary Walters announced Tuesday, Feb. 8, that the Tigers will play a home-and-home series with both the Citadel and Hampton in the near future.

The first of these games will be played on Oct. 6, 2007, when the Hampton Pirates will travel to Princeton Stadium for a contest against the Tigers. Princeton will make the trip down to Hampton, Va., in 2011 on a date to be determined later.

http://goprincetontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020805aaa.html

I was aware of this, but I did not know they had scheduled Citadel in there. The Ivies understand want the PL doesn't schedule more out of conference, non-traditional games. It's ironic that Princeton is doing this and they are not even in the playoffs and play less games than the PL! I hope this unilateral move forces Lafayette to play other teams. Princeton actually drops us from 2008 or 2009 onwards.

Pard4Life
June 6th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Yale Bowl... ;)

http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/pan/6a29000/6a29100/6a29101r.jpg

Eh, I don't know. The Yale Bowl has no style although I am impressed with it. Harvard Stadium is better.. it looks like a Hippodrome.. bust out the chariots!!

colgate13
June 6th, 2006, 02:54 PM
The Yale Bowl was built to hold 65,000 people. Harvard might have a nicer feel, but you can shoehorn in almost twice as much as Yale.

Function over form here.

Ivytalk
June 6th, 2006, 03:02 PM
The Yale Bowl was built to hold 65,000 people. Harvard might have a nicer feel, but you can shoehorn in almost twice as much as Yale.

Function over form here.

Harvard Stadium is the Fenway Park of college football!:nod:

The Fan
June 6th, 2006, 03:15 PM
You're right, the LA Coliseum stinks!

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/usc/galleries/usc-memorial-stadium-gallery/Coliseum3-lg.jpg

The only track remaining in the Pac-10 is at UW.