PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette's Ben Eaton to Towson

andy7171
January 24th, 2012, 03:06 PM
What can you Leopards tell me about him?

andy7171
January 24th, 2012, 03:07 PM
http://blogs.mcall.com/sports/2012/01/tavani-will-keep-on-clawing-at-lafayette.html

Franks Tanks
January 24th, 2012, 03:16 PM
He is built like a tank, but a bit short and stiff. Honestly I think we was our 3rd best LB last year.

Depending on what your LB situation looks like he may start for you guys, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

Bogus Megapardus
January 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Eaton was a solid starter and definitely a workout machine:

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/3539/beneaton.jpg

andy7171
January 25th, 2012, 08:05 AM
We return all our starting LBs and are quite deep too with several RS freshman who contributed down the stretch. Which is why I asked about him. Seems like a odd place for him to come to. But the article made it seem like grad school (scholarship) was his main focus.

carney2
January 25th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Second on the team in tackles with 84, 25 solo and 3.5 for a loss. Had one sack and one interception. Was part of a front seven that was not very good and virtually disappeared after DE Mike Grimaldi went down with a season ending injury. Ben put his heart and soul on the line in every game, which was not true of all around him.

RichH2
January 25th, 2012, 08:49 AM
From an opponent's POV, Eaton very good tackler. solid vs run. real active hustle guy , disruptive. Stuck out on a weak front 7 unit

Lehigh Football Nation
January 25th, 2012, 08:52 AM
It's kind of a shame that having a graduate school is a "competitive advantage" football-wise. Couldn't the NCAA work something out where an athlete like Ben can take graduate classes at another school while still using his football eligibility at his original school?

I'm not saying that he wouldn't have gone to Towson anyway, but it seems really unfair.

frozennorth
January 25th, 2012, 09:39 AM
It's kind of a shame that having a graduate school is a "competitive advantage" football-wise. Couldn't the NCAA work something out where an athlete like Ben can take graduate classes at another school while still using his football eligibility at his original school?

I'm not saying that he wouldn't have gone to Towson anyway, but it seems really unfair.
are you saying he should have to stay at his current school, or that he should have the option to stay on the team as long as he is graduated and enrolled elsewhere?

andy7171
January 25th, 2012, 09:49 AM

How would that be possible, unless the schools were practically next door to each other? I mean I can see taking graduate classes at Towson if the player is a Morgan State player. And why would Morgan foot the bill for that? Makes zero sense.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 25th, 2012, 10:34 AM
are you saying he should have to stay at his current school, or that he should have the option to stay on the team as long as he is graduated and enrolled elsewhere?

This.

How would that be possible, unless the schools were practically next door to each other? I mean I can see taking graduate classes at Towson if the player is a Morgan State player. And why would Morgan foot the bill for that? Makes zero sense.

I understand there are logistical hurdles to overcome, but with many accredited schools offering online courses for school credit, perhaps it's not as impossible as it was at one time.

Look, Eaton's a great catch for you guys, and I'm not saying what he or Towson is doing is illegal or unethical, but I have to wonder if Eaton would have preferred to play another season for Lafayette had he been given the chance with some sort of alternative setup.

RichH2
January 25th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Playing for one college while pursuing a Master's at another , even an online one,stretches the student-athlete scenario too far in my opinion. I think one s/b a student at the same institution as he wants to play a sport for. I have serious qualms about Graduate players ,in any event,altho I recognize for serious students being able to get a scholarship to pursue a Master's a good deal.

Bogus Megapardus
January 25th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Eaton is a Baltimore native. Towson DC Matt Hachmann was Eaton's position coach at Lafayette when Ben was a freshman.

"I’m going to pursue my master's at Towson and come back (for the spring semester) and graduate at Lafayette." I'm just waiting for admissions; I've been in contact with the coaches down there and I’m confident it’s going to work out. I've been in touch with the coaches at Lafayette and they are supportive of me, saying that this opportunity is something I can’t really turn down." The graduate work would be for either an MBA, with focus on marketing, or a master’s degree in accounting.

http://blogs.mcall.com/sports/2012/01/tavani-will-keep-on-clawing-at-lafayette.html

andy7171
January 25th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Eaton is a Baltimore native. Towson DC Matt Hachmann was Eaton's position coach at Lafayette when Ben was a freshman.

"I’m going to pursue my master's at Towson and come back (for the spring semester) and graduate at Lafayette." I'm just waiting for admissions; I've been in contact with the coaches down there and I’m confident it’s going to work out. I've been in touch with the coaches at Lafayette and they are supportive of me, saying that this opportunity is something I can’t really turn down." The graduate work would be for either an MBA, with focus on marketing, or a master’s degree in accounting.

So he's going to graduate this Spring? The way he makes it sound is he's going to take grad classes at Towson next fall and then return to Lafayette next spring and graduate. Can you take graduate classes without having graduated?

Does Lafayette not have a MBA program?

RichH2
January 25th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Dont know about NCAA, but many schools permit students pending graduation to start Grad programs

Lehigh Football Nation
January 25th, 2012, 12:45 PM
So he's going to graduate this Spring? The way he makes it sound is he's going to take grad classes at Towson next fall and then return to Lafayette next spring and graduate. Can you take graduate classes without having graduated?

They do not. What some kids seeking a 5th year at Lafayette have done in the past is take MBA grad-level classes at "that school in Bethlehem" while still playing their final year at Lafayette. Similarly, Lehigh players graduate from there and sometimes play their final season of eligibility while taking graduate-level classes in the MBA program or one of Lehigh's other grad programs.

Bogus Megapardus
January 25th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Lafayette has two graduate schools - they're called "Penn" and "Columbia." Otherwise, the Easton campus is strictly undergraduate. In fact, there's no such thing as a "Business" degree at Lafayette.

Andy
January 25th, 2012, 01:14 PM
So he's going to graduate this Spring? The way he makes it sound is he's going to take grad classes at Towson next fall and then return to Lafayette next spring and graduate.

"I’m going to pursue my master's at Towson and come back (for the spring semester) and graduate at Lafayette."

7171, what Ben was referring to by "come back" in the spring - at LC (all PL members?) taking a 5th year via medical redshirt requires the player to withdraw from school for the spring semester and return in the fall obviously to play and finish degree requirements. So when his intention was to exhaust eligibility at LC he would've been planning on being off campus this spring. With the change in plan he will be "coming back" from winter break to finish and graduate. (he's got the cart before the horse in that quoted sentence)

Also presumably Ben will be getting his masters paid for by Towson. It's the right move for him.

andy7171
January 25th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I was unaware PL players could redshirt.

Also presumably Ben will be getting his masters paid for by Towson. It's the right move for him.

Well at least one year's worth of his MBA will be paid for by Towson.

RichH2
January 25th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Not a redshirt, an Ivy Greyshirt. Absent medical basis,kid must withdraw from school