View Full Version : Coastal, Samford, Wilmington

SoCon48
June 2nd, 2006, 10:12 AM
Not mentioned
Iamarino says topic of SoCon expansion should be discussed
By Tommy Bowman
WINSTON-SALEM JOURNAL REPORTER
Thursday, March 9, 2006

John Iamarino, who became the commissioner of the Southern Conference on Jan. 30, took in the league's basketball tournament last weekend. He'll take to the road next, completing campus visits and meeting with presidents and athletics directors of member schools.

Iamarino, who was commissioner of the Northeast Conference for nine years before taking the SoCon job, said that he expects possible conference expansion to be a major topic and is something that he plans to revisit with school presidents. The SoCon has an odd number of members (11) since the departure of East Tennessee State.

"I think we're in a pretty good position because we could survive with the 11 we have now," Iamarino said. "But I think if we can prove that we could open up with a new market that will help us with either TV or marketing, and if we find an institution that's within the geographic footprint or even one that's outside that opens up a desirable market, it could happen."

"The presidents are obviously interested in a school with strong academics and the right mission. And you have the private vs. state issue that a lot of our schools think about. If there was a school out there that made complete sense to everybody it would have happened already, but it's something we will revisit."

Iamarino didn't disclose names of possible candidates for expansion, but he said he thinks there are a "handful" of possibilities.

"I think the presidents are looking for a good combination of strong academics, a broad-based athletics program, good facilities and if they can help us with what we're trying to do in terms of marketing and TV all the better," Iamarino said.

He said that it's not implausible that more than one new member could be added, if any are added.

"I don't know what the right number is, to be honest, but I think it could work at 12 and it could work at 14 if you could show the presidents and institutions that you could divide into two divisions in most sports, reduce travel and still maintain rivalries," Iamarino said. "My own opinion is that 16 is too many. That didn't work for the Western Athletic Conference a few years ago, and it remains to be seen if the Big East will be able to hold together with that many members."

Iamarino said that one of his goals is to increase the amount of television coverage the SoCon gets.

"I will be meeting with the people at Fox," Iamarino said. "They just bought Turner South, so maybe there might be more opportunities for us there."

With the availability of computer and download access, Iamarino said that he is also looking at the possibility of video-streaming games.

"I'd like to see if that's something we can do on a conference-wide basis," Iamarino said. "It's not as expensive as it used to be, it's not as expensive as producing TV, and we think there is a demand among the boosters, the parents, the alumni to stay connected to their programs."

He said that other conferences are offering video streaming.

"I know the Horizon League out in the Midwest has just about every one of their basketball games video-streamed, and they make it available free to their fans," Iamarino said.

The Southern Conference Tournament will return to the North Charleston Coliseum next year. Iamarino said that potential sites for 2008 and 2009 will be discussed during the SoCon's spring meetings in May. He said that he is hearing that Charleston and Chattanooga, which played host to the 2005 tournament, remain interested.

• Tommy Bowman can be reached at 727-7320 or at [email protected]

SoCon48
June 2nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
Any one see Coastal Carolina's name mentioned in there by the SoCon Official??
I've been looking for weeks and haven't seen it mentioned by an official yet.

henfan
June 2nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
Nope. Didn't see Samford or Presbyterian mentioned either, though they both fit the SoCon's recent pattern of expansion partners to a 'T'. UNCW's name was predictably absent too.

If I had to wager, I'd say another small, private school will be finding a home soon in the SoCon.

OL FU
June 2nd, 2006, 11:37 AM
Nope. Didn't see Samford or Presbyterian mentioned either, though they both fit the SoCon's recent pattern of expansion partners to a 'T'. UNCW's name was predictably absent too.

If I had to wager, I'd say another small, private school will be finding a home soon in the SoCon.

I would probably take that wager as long as your bet excluded a large public coming with them

I don't believe for a minute a small private will be invited without a large public.

On another subject, the UNCW fans on CAA zone don't think much of the idea. I can't say that I blame them. Not alot of benefit except for travel and possible rivalries.

SoCon48
June 2nd, 2006, 11:51 AM

I would agree. The thing is, it has been posted that SoCon Officials say they want Coastal. That has not been documented anywhere yet.

OL FU
June 5th, 2006, 10:51 AM
This from a guy who covers CCU in Myrtle Beach who is supposedly quoting the New SoCon Commish.

QWhat's the latest word on Coastal and the SoCon? When does the SoCon meet for their Spring meetings?
Ham, Conway, SC 5/05/06
AThe meetings, I believe, are sometime this month, although I don't remember the specific dates. Right now, the latest word is about what it was 2-3 months ago. Essentially, SoCon Commissioner John Iammarino told me that during the spring meetings, expansion talk would come up as one of the top priorities, and that he was hoping there would be 14 football-playing schools in the conference in the near future. Now, that could mean two years -- or that could mean five. This will be a hot-button topic all summer. So stay tuned.
Ian Guerin 5/05/06

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/colleges/coastal_carolina_university/qa_forum.html

Now, I certainly hope he got the 14 football playing schools wrong:rolleyes: We may have to change our name to the Southern 14:eek:

SoCon48
June 5th, 2006, 10:55 AM
This from a guy who covers CCU in Myrtle Beach who is supposedly quoting the New SoCon Commish.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/colleges/coastal_carolina_university/qa_forum.html

Now, I certainly hope he got the 14 football playing schools wrong:rolleyes: We may have to change our name to the Southern 14:eek:

Still doesn't mention Coastal per se. But Geez how could there be 14 FB schools without giving Coastal at least a sniff?
I'm with you about 14. It would be a bummer for each FB team not to get to play all other football schools each season. It could be very controversial when a team won the reg season championship without playing the next highest contender.

OL FU
June 5th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Still doesn't mention Coastal per se. But Geez how could there be 14 FB schools without giving Coastal at least a sniff?
I'm with you about 14. It would be a bummer for each FB team not to get to play all other football schools each season. It could be very controversial when a team won the reg season championship without playing the next highest contender.

For my sanity, I have to believe that the reporter did not understand what was said. xidiotx

SoCon48
June 5th, 2006, 11:04 AM
For my sanity, I have to believe that the reporter did not understand what was said. xidiotx

You gotta be right on that. I hope.

dbackjon
June 5th, 2006, 11:06 AM
14 would be ridiculous number of teams for a football conference - and that would give you what, 16 for basketball??

AppGuy04
June 5th, 2006, 11:14 AM
14 would be ridiculous number of teams for a football conference - and that would give you what, 16 for basketball??

Agreed, a I-AA "power" conference is not something to be strived for

MarkCCU
June 5th, 2006, 12:45 PM
That article doesn't mention any school other then the departed Eastern Tenn. So no, in that particular article CCU isn't mentioned.

SoCon48
June 5th, 2006, 12:53 PM
That article doesn't mention any school other then the departed Eastern Tenn. So no, in that particular article CCU isn't mentioned.
Still, now in over a month of searching, have not found ONE single article in which a SoCON OFFICIAL has stated that Coastal is a leading candidate. :eyebrow:

OL FU
June 5th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I recall a SoCon person (following Morrison's departure) who was quoted saying CCU and Samford were candidates. It was discussed on this board. I will see if I can find it.

blur2005
June 5th, 2006, 01:10 PM
He obviously meant 14 total schools, not just football-only.

walliver
June 5th, 2006, 01:18 PM
With all the talk about TV Markets in the origianl quote, I wonder if he is looking for someone other than the three mentioned in the thread title. UNC-W brings in the Wilmington market (but I'm not sure how big that is), CCU brings the Florence-Myrtle Beach market (I know that one isn't very big), and although Samford would bring in the Birmingham market, I'm not sure how much media interest there is in Birmingham for Samford (My guess is they fall behind Alabama, Aurburn and UAB).

On the other hand, I can't think of any I-AA football school in a major market that makes sense for the SoCon short of luring someone away from the CAA which I don't think is very likely.

OL FU
June 5th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I recall a SoCon person (following Morrison's departure) who was quoted saying CCU and Samford were candidates. It was discussed on this board. I will see if I can find it.

I can't find it. I believe however it was Shutts the media guy. Oh well time will tell one way or the other

mainejeff
June 5th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I would probably take that wager as long as your bet excluded a large public coming with them

I don't believe for a minute a small private will be invited without a large public.

On another subject, the UNCW fans on CAA zone don't think much of the idea. I can't say that I blame them. Not alot of benefit except for travel and possible rivalries.

Aren't those 2 of the main benefits for mid-majors?:confused:

SoCon48
June 5th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I can't find it. I believe however it was Shutts the media guy. Oh well time will tell one way or the other
Steve Shutts has been gone a long time. He is in the Wofford Athletic Administration.
He definitely would not say anything anyway. Too profesional.

SoCon48
June 5th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Steve Shutts has been gone a long time. He is in the Wofford Athletic Administration.
He definitely would not say anything anyway. Too profesional.
I think i recall someone saying...would have to be considered, but as far as a leading candidate..I really don't recall anyone saying that. maybe. But i can't find anything like that. Which "leading candidate" was what got me started with this query.

CollegeSportsInfo
June 5th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Still, now in over a month of searching, have not found ONE single article in which a SoCON OFFICIAL has stated that Coastal is a leading candidate. :eyebrow:

Why are people so amazed by this? It is customary for a conference to keep it's expansion plans DARK until they are prepared as a conference. Especially since the ACC vote flip incident of 3 years ago.

A conference will make the candidates public (excluding the regular leaking of the names of potential schools) once they are deadset on the candidates. They might then request info from the candidates, schedule visits, etc.

OL FU
June 5th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Aren't those 2 of the main benefits for mid-majors?:confused:

That is true, but the other consideration is competition and with Mason's success last year I would not think the SoCon would be considered favorably for BBall.

OL FU
June 5th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Why are people so amazed by this? It is customary for a conference to keep it's expansion plans DARK until they are prepared as a conference. Especially since the ACC vote flip incident of 3 years ago.

A conference will make the candidates public (excluding the regular leaking of the names of potential schools) once they are deadset on the candidates. They might then request info from the candidates, schedule visits, etc.

He is not amazed. That is the point he is making in a I-AA 2006 kinda way;)

mainejeff
June 5th, 2006, 02:54 PM
That is true, but the other consideration is competition and with Mason's success last year I would not think the SoCon would be considered favorably for BBall.

So UNCW should ignore everything else for the sake of playing George Mason in basketball?:confused:

OL FU
June 5th, 2006, 03:14 PM
So UNCW should ignore everything else for the sake of playing George Mason in basketball?:confused:

Hey Jeff this ain't politics:p

No I agree with you travel and rivalries are the most important. Unfortunately, the Wilmington fans don't seem to see the advantage:)

henfan
June 5th, 2006, 03:57 PM
It wouldn't break my heart if UNCW found a home elsewhere or, for that matter, stayed in the CAA. A move out would unquestionably spurn the CAA to replace them with a team (or 3) that sponsor(s) I-AA FB. No doubt this would not be a good thing for proponents of AEC FB.:smiley_wi

Sly Fox
June 5th, 2006, 04:32 PM
There's a team in Lynchburg who'd love to come play.

:thumbsup:

Seriously, I'm beginning to wonder if the SoCon is ever going to make up their minds.

SoCon48
June 5th, 2006, 05:03 PM

Bingo. That's my point. Someone had said they read or heard that a SoCON OFICIAL had stated that Coastal was a leading candidate. I disputed that by saying I had heard no one in the SoCon office had stated that. Then I keep getting all these opinions about who is a candidate.xcoffeex

SoCon48
June 5th, 2006, 05:06 PM
He is not amazed. That is the point he is making in a I-AA 2006 kinda way;)
Geez. I don't think i could have made the point any clearer in umpteen different posts. Somehow someone keeps giving their OPINION on whether Coastal is a leading candidate. Unfortunately I agree. It's just no one in the office has said that. Some people don't know the diff between, a hack writer, small town sports caster and a SoCon official.:read: xcoffeex

SoCon48
June 5th, 2006, 05:07 PM
There's a team in Lynchburg who'd love to come play.

:thumbsup:

Seriously, I'm beginning to wonder if the SoCon is ever going to make up their minds.

Make up their minds? Has anyone applied for membership for them to make up their minds about?:nono:

mainejeff
June 5th, 2006, 06:26 PM
It wouldn't break my heart if UNCW found a home elsewhere or, for that matter, stayed in the CAA. A move out would unquestionably spurn the CAA to replace them with a team (or 3) that sponsor(s) I-AA FB. No doubt this would not be a good thing for proponents of AEC FB.:smiley_wi

:eek: :eek: :eek: Stay in the CAA UNCW!!!!!

Sly Fox
June 5th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Make up their minds? Has anyone applied for membership for them to make up their minds about?:nono:

Do you honestly believe that is how the process works? :rotateh:

SoCon48
June 5th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Do you honestly believe that is how the process works? :rotateh:
Umm. I sure as h don't think the SoCon officials are sneaking around trying to steal other conference's teams at this point. What most people don't seem to get through their head is that unless there is more attrition, the SoCon doesn't really need anyone else.
Yes, normally, a school sends out feelers to see if the have a shot at moving and what the costs are..because it sure as H isn't free.

Cocky
June 5th, 2006, 09:24 PM
With all the talk about TV Markets in the origianl quote, I wonder if he is looking for someone other than the three mentioned in the thread title. UNC-W brings in the Wilmington market (but I'm not sure how big that is), CCU brings the Florence-Myrtle Beach market (I know that one isn't very big), and although Samford would bring in the Birmingham market, I'm not sure how much media interest there is in Birmingham for Samford (My guess is they fall behind Alabama, Aurburn and UAB).

On the other hand, I can't think of any I-AA football school in a major market that makes sense for the SoCon short of luring someone away from the CAA which I don't think is very likely.

We get more media coverage in Birmingham than Samford. Birmingham covers UAT, then Auburn and UAB (about even), JSU, then Samford.

Sly Fox
June 5th, 2006, 10:14 PM
The majority of the costs generally are to get out of a conference and not vice versa. By the time invitations are formally offered, decisions have long been made and indirect contact has been plentiful. If the SoCon is serious about expansion they sure are showing much evidence of it.

Mr. C
June 5th, 2006, 10:33 PM
The SoCon has been taking its time, because there simply isn't a great candidate out there right now. Timing is everything here, though the biggest concern from conference officials is getting a ninth football-playing member. If they just wanted an even number of basketball schools, they would have kept East Tennessee State. Nine football teams would take away one extra non-conference game and would balance the league schedule, with four home games and four road games.

On the subject of Coastal Carolina, there are still MAJOR obstacles for the Chanticleers to overcome. There are a whole bunch of members still very much opposed to CCU joining. That is a fact. Unless the new commish can change some views, CCU will not get an invite in the near future.

rokamortis
June 5th, 2006, 10:45 PM
On the subject of Coastal Carolina, there are still MAJOR obstacles for the Chanticleers to overcome. There are a whole bunch of members still very much opposed to CCU joining. That is a fact. Unless the new commish can change some views, CCU will not get an invite in the near future.

If it is a fact then you would be happy to state which member schools have a problem and why.

The Gadfly
June 5th, 2006, 10:57 PM
I would like to see some quotes on what the hell you're crying about I-AA. And Mr.C, your "facts" are again baffling xidiotx .

As for markets, are there any other FB playing schools in Coastal's region? The closest from the north is in Greenville, NC; west is in Columbia, SC; and from the south in Charleston. NO football in that huge area unless you want to see high school football. Florence and Myrtle Beach? WOW.

coastalalum
June 5th, 2006, 11:00 PM
coulson just pulled a hit and run....he doesn't have the cajones to back up his "facts" with actual quotes. basically what he's just done is no better than what 1-aa 2006 has accused others of doing by declaring "facts" without the full story to back it up.

MarkCCU
June 5th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Oh! So Mr.C you have access to the facts that state a Socon(or member school) opinion on CCU? Lets see this.

CoastalFan2005
June 5th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Mr. C, I must agree with the few posts above me asking for proof of this fact, as asking for proof is the theme of this thread. :nod:

SoCon48
June 6th, 2006, 06:04 AM
coulson just pulled a hit and run....he doesn't have the cajones to back up his "facts" with actual quotes. basically what he's just done is no better than what 1-aa 2006 has accused others of doing by declaring "facts" without the full story to back it up.
I disagree with Coulson fairly often, but one thing his writing is NOT short of is a pair of testicles.:confused:

SoCon48
June 6th, 2006, 06:05 AM
The majority of the costs generally are to get out of a conference and not vice versa. By the time invitations are formally offered, decisions have long been made and indirect contact has been plentiful. If the SoCon is serious about expansion they sure are showing much evidence of it.

I know Elon paid a ton of $$$$$ to the SoCon when they joined it. That's a fact, bud.

SoCon48
June 6th, 2006, 06:07 AM
I would like to see some quotes on what the hell you're crying about I-AA. And Mr.C, your "facts" are again baffling xidiotx .

As for markets, are there any other FB playing schools in Coastal's region? The closest from the north is in Greenville, NC; west is in Columbia, SC; and from the south in Charleston. NO football in that huge area unless you want to see high school football. Florence and Myrtle Beach? WOW.

Dude. I'm not crying about anything. READ!! All I want is ONE quote from a SoCon official that says Coastal is/was a/the leading candidate as was stated on here by a Coastal fan over a month ago.
Damn!.
I'm positive that at some point Coastal will be..but I've yet to see it stated by an official.

SoCon48
June 6th, 2006, 06:12 AM
If it is a fact then you would be happy to state which member schools have a problem and why.

I'm sure he can prove that as easily as any Coastal fan can show a quote from a SoCon official saying that Coastal was a leading candidate over the past few months.

Tealblood
June 6th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Elon paid $500,000 I believe plus a couple to the Big South

rokamortis
June 6th, 2006, 06:59 AM
I'm sure he can prove that as easily as any Coastal fan can show a quote from a SoCon official saying that Coastal was a leading candidate over the past few months.

I never said anything of the kind, are you trying to group all Coastal fans together? Anyway, two different issues. You have Joe Schmo fan that says something vs a reporter.

SoCon48
June 6th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I never said anything of the kind, are you trying to group all Coastal fans together? Anyway, two different issues. You have Joe Schmo fan that says something vs a reporter.

Wasn't talking about you specifically, but there have been at least 3 CCU posts over the past sev months (which then started looooong threads) which have stated that a SoCon Official made the statement. I'm just trying to find out which official and in what media.
Not two diff issues??..I have no doubt some reporter said it...but not QUOTING an official.??????
I've read MANY reporters editorializing how CCU SHOULD be considered. But as of yet..NO...NO repeat..NO SoCon official being quoted as saying that. Huge difference.

CoastalFan2005
June 6th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Wasn't talking about you specifically, but there have been at least 3 CCU posts over the past sev months (which then started looooong threads) which have stated that a SoCon Official made the statement. I'm just trying to find out which official and in what media.
Not two diff issues??..I have no doubt some reporter said it...but not QUOTING an official.??????
I've read MANY reporters editorializing how CCU SHOULD be considered. But as of yet..NO...NO repeat..NO SoCon official being quoted as saying that. Huge difference.

No offense to anyone, but if it's been "several months" as you said, and you've been asking for this proof...if nobody's stepped forward with it by now, they're not going to. I don't know who made the claims, and I don't really care, but (without printed proof) they were obviously just stirring the ***** pot to see what would cook up.

And I agree with rok - a reporter's sources vs. the sources of "random internet poster guy that could be anybody" are vastly different. Mr. C has the ability to show us proof - random internet people don't really. :twocents:

CollegeSportsInfo
June 6th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Dude. I'm not crying about anything. READ!! All I want is ONE quote from a SoCon official that says Coastal is/was a/the leading candidate as was stated on here by a Coastal fan over a month ago.
Damn!.
I'm positive that at some point Coastal will be..but I've yet to see it stated by an official.

<insert>BROKEN RECORD REFERENCE</insert>

You will not get an official statement yet...you realize this don't you? There has been information leaked to various reporters but you will not get a name of a socon official YET. Is this really that hard for you to comprehend? You are poorly representing the AppSt community my friend.

OL FU
June 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM

You will not get an official statement yet...you realize this don't you? There has been information leaked to various reporters but you will not get a name of a socon official YET. Is this really that hard for you to comprehend? You are poorly representing the AppSt community my friend.

You need to pay attention to I-AA 2006 posts. He gets it:nod:

rokamortis
June 6th, 2006, 04:13 PM
And I agree with rok - a reporter's sources vs. the sources of "random internet poster guy that could be anybody" are vastly different. Mr. C has the ability to show us proof - random internet people don't really. :twocents:

I've seen many people post rumors and stuff and they tend to get the standard "Link?" response from some of the old timers here - so it should work both ways. He may be 100% right and if it is a fact then he should be able to back it up.

Mr. C
June 6th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Here we go again. I wasn't bashing Coastal Carolina, I was just passing along some insight on a subject that I do know something about. I talk to people around the SoCon all of the time, who share info about a variety of subjects. No one is going to go on the record "officially" about this subject, but there are people at all of the schools who will give you a feel for what they have heard. When a recruit tells coaches what other schools are saying about your program and how they are telling recruits that coaching staffs are about to be fired, etc., the word gets around. That is common knowledge around the SoCon. And Coastal Carolina cost itself A LOT of support by doing that. CCU coaches were telling recruits that Jerry Moore, last year's I-AA AFCA coach of the year and national champion coach, was about to fired, along with his staff during recruiting before the 2005 season. They said the same thing about Kent Briggs and the Western Carolina staff. Here this guy is fighting cancer and some CCU coaches are pulling that crap. Lying is lying and it has NO place in recruiting. Tell the kids what a great program you have, don't do all of this negative stuff. The facts are that CCU went from being a school that had a lot of support to one that didn't in a short length of time and the actions of the assistants were a major reason for that erosion. I'm sorry that some folks from CCU don't like it, but that is what SoCon people are saying. I am under no obligation to quote people in a message board, unless I choose to, though a multitude of head coaches, assistants and support people from several different schools have confirmed this. You can choose to believe me, or not believe me. That is your choice. Like a lot of people around here, most of us choose to participate in this board as a community and we all do a lot to provide information and opinions on a variety of subjects. I'm sorry that some people take honesty so personally.

SoCon48
June 6th, 2006, 08:15 PM

Oh I get it. Like the leak I heard that Notre Dame and Southern Cal are negotiating behind the scenes to be admitted to the SoCon.
Ummhmm.xcoffeex
"You are poorly representing the AppSt community my friend."
And :
you are poorly representing the SoCon Officials.

SoCon48
June 6th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Here we go again. I wasn't bashing Coastal Carolina, I was just passing along some insight on a subject that I do know something about. I talk to people around the SoCon all of the time, who share info about a variety of subjects. No one is going to go on the record "officially" about this subject, but there are people at all of the schools who will give you a feel for what they have heard. When a recruit tells coaches what other schools are saying about your program and how they are telling recruits that coaching staffs are about to be fired, etc., the word gets around. That is common knowledge around the SoCon. And Coastal Carolina cost itself A LOT of support by doing that. CCU coaches were telling recruits that Jerry Moore, last year's I-AA AFCA coach of the year and national champion coach, was about to fired, along with his staff during recruiting before the 2005 season. They said the same thing about Kent Briggs and the Western Carolina staff. Here this guy is fighting cancer and some CCU coaches are pulling that crap. Lying is lying and it has NO place in recruiting. Tell the kids what a great program you have, don't do all of this negative stuff. The facts are that CCU went from being a school that had a lot of support to one that didn't in a short length of time and the actions of the assistants were a major reason for that erosion. I'm sorry that some folks from CCU don't like it, but that is what SoCon people are saying. I am under no obligation to quote people in a message board, unless I choose to, though a multitude of head coaches, assistants and support people from several different schools have confirmed this. You can choose to believe me, or not believe me. That is your choice. Like a lot of people around here, most of us choose to participate in this board as a community and we all do a lot to provide information and opinions on a variety of subjects. I'm sorry that some people take honesty so personally.

Geez. Disgusting if it's true.

Sly Fox
June 6th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Now there is some responsible journalism. : smh :

I'm not saying whether or not the allegations are true, but airing that dirty laundry on a public forum is bad form.

That said, those types of recruiting practices have no place in college football.

rokamortis
June 6th, 2006, 08:41 PM

You may be 100% right - but when people come on here stating this is a fact or that is a fact they are asked to back it up. If you can't, then it is just a rumor. xcoffeex If what you post is true and such serious offenses by our coacing staff then you would have a very nice article. Have you heard one of our coaches say this? If not it is just hearsay and rumor. I've heard through the grapevine what other coaches have said about ours and it isn't pretty ... but I don't put a lot into unsubstantiated rumors.

Coastal89
June 7th, 2006, 12:34 AM

Dam, you should go to work with CBS. Your sources are almost as good as Mary Mapes'.

CoastalFan2005
June 7th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Hopefully this post doesn't become long-winded. I offer my apologies beforehand if it does (as it honestly probably will). I also hope that all the quoting works as planned, if not, forgive me.

Let me preface my response by quoting our very own JCline:

I would agree. The thing is, it has been posted that SoCon Officials say they want Coastal. That has not been documented anywhere yet.

I-AA 2006' desire for proof of information is the theme of this thread, as it was the theme of another thread concerning this very same topic. The desire for proof of any "evidence" concerning CCU's entry into the SoCon has been made plainly clear several times recently on this board. That said, I'll continue.

You state that it is a fact that members are still opposed to CCU joining the SoCon, and that because of this CCU will probably not get an invite any time soon. Regardless of the tone with which some CCU posters replied, you responded:

Here we go again. I wasn't bashing Coastal Carolina, I was just passing along some insight on a subject that I do know something about.

Now, please allow me to paraphrase what the 5 posts immediately following the first quoted here (all from CCU-supporting posters) asked of you: 3 of them (my own, rokamortis', and MarkCCU's) asked for proof. One (The Gadfly's) says your facts are "baffling," and one accuses that you can't back up your statement with documented evidence (in nicer words than were first said). Not one of these five posts accuses you of "bashing" CCU. I felt I needed to point this out at this stage in my repoly.

(It can, however, be documented for the record {if it weren't already known} that most CCU fans have prejudged you, and have an unfavorable opinion of you. In fact, the word "Coulson" is automatically replaced by "-------" when used on our own CoastalFans.com forum. You'll have to ask other CCU fans why this is, I'm afraid I can't provide you with an adequate enough explanation.)

As for the rest of your second post:

I talk to people around the SoCon all of the time, who share info about a variety of subjects. No one is going to go on the record "officially" about this subject, but there are people at all of the schools who will give you a feel for what they have heard.

That's fine, and certainly not debatable. It's perfectly understandable that conference officials are not willing to go on record on a subject of this importance. What I am trying to point out is that based on the premise of this (and other aforementioned) thread(s), your information can be considered no more valid than any CCU posters claiming to have the information I-AA 2006 is seeking. This is in no way intended to insult you, as I am aware of how well-known a writer you are. It's simply to clarify what seems to me is muddy, which is that proof has been asked for regarding information of this subject, and none has been provided. It's a quagmire that's dragged you in (in the eyes of some people posting on this thread).

Moving on:

When a recruit tells coaches what other schools are saying about your program and how they are telling recruits that coaching staffs are about to be fired, etc., the word gets around. That is common knowledge around the SoCon. And Coastal Carolina cost itself A LOT of support by doing that. CCU coaches were telling recruits that Jerry Moore, last year's I-AA AFCA coach of the year and national champion coach, was about to fired, along with his staff during recruiting before the 2005 season. They said the same thing about Kent Briggs and the Western Carolina staff. Here this guy is fighting cancer and some CCU coaches are pulling that crap. Lying is lying and it has NO place in recruiting. Tell the kids what a great program you have, don't do all of this negative stuff. The facts are that CCU went from being a school that had a lot of support to one that didn't in a short length of time and the actions of the assistants were a major reason for that erosion.

I agree with the previous poster that called this "bad form." To make such an accusation without proof is, in my own opinion, unforgivable. Fact is, questionable things happen in all forms of recruiting. I tell you this story very seriously: when I was in high school band, I was offered a salary to drop from my HS's band just to go play tuba for our rival school's band. I kid you not.

Granted it does not compare to your accusation, I'd say you could consider that attempt to "recruit" me pretty questionable. If what you accuse our staff of actually did happen, then I of course condemn it and hope that parties are held responsible in some way. But, as I (as well as others) have established...where's the proof? "Eyewitness" testimony isn't enough to go on, in my opinion. For all I know, this kid really wanted to come to CCU, but was turned down, and made up this story in spite. Without proof, am I to simply believe what you tell me is fact?

I'm sorry that some folks from CCU don't like it, but that is what SoCon people are saying. I am under no obligation to quote people in a message board, unless I choose to, though a multitude of head coaches, assistants and support people from several different schools have confirmed this. You can choose to believe me, or not believe me. That is your choice. Like a lot of people around here, most of us choose to participate in this board as a community and we all do a lot to provide information and opinions on a variety of subjects. I'm sorry that some people take honesty so personally.

Regardless of what some of us folks from CCU think, I have overtly established that the theme of the evening is, "where's the proof?" I understand that you are under no obligation to quote people, but if you can't really give us proof...then why bother "stirring the pot" in the first place? Not that "pot stirring" was your intent, you were probably posting your opinion. You are very right -- this board is a community, and we all do provide vast amounts of information and opinions to each other. BUT -- most of the time, information provided is usually corroborated through one source or another. That's the main point I'm trying to make. The theme is proof -- and nobody from either side is providing any.

:twocents:

chantman
June 7th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Let me get my :twocents: in on this one. Like Mr. C, I will not reveal my source, but I will tell you this person is the coach at CofC. After attending a SoCon coaches meeting for his or hers sport, I was told everyone in attendance was in favor of Coastal joining. I was told there was no anti-Coastal discussion and all thought it would be wonderful for the conference.

SoCon48
June 7th, 2006, 09:53 AM
So we have a bunch of stuff from non-revealed sources. I refuse to reveal my source who says Notre Dame is joining either.

walliver
June 7th, 2006, 10:57 AM
So we have a bunch of stuff from non-revealed sources. I refuse to reveal my source who says Notre Dame is joining either.

I don't think ther big public schools would allow another private school in. Possibly if we could get Florida State in at the same time they might go along. Trying to add Southern Cal and Notre Dame (both private) would be a sure sign that ASU and GSU were leaving. Possibly we could get Western Carolina and Chattanooga to leave and bring in Vanderbilt and Miami and have an all private school conference (We could pretend like the Citadel was private):D

SoCon48
June 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I don't think ther big public schools would allow another private school in. Possibly if we could get Florida State in at the same time they might go along. Trying to add Southern Cal and Notre Dame (both private) would be a sure sign that ASU and GSU were leaving. Possibly we could get Western Carolina and Chattanooga to leave and bring in Vanderbilt and Miami and have an all private school conference (We could pretend like the Citadel was private):D

I promised my source i wouldn't discuss it anymore.

MarkCCU
June 7th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Wanna make a new rule on AGS: If you won't revel your source, that's fine but at least give the hint of where their credibility is, i.e. A local official or journalists, etc....

CollegeSportsInfo
June 7th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Oh I get it. Like the leak I heard that Notre Dame and Southern Cal are negotiating behind the scenes to be admitted to the SoCon.
Ummhmm.xcoffeex
"You are poorly representing the AppSt community my friend."
And :
you are poorly representing the SoCon Officials.

Big difference. If you read an article in a newspaper and a "reporter" writes an article based on information shared with them from reliable sources BASED ON ANONYMITY, do you doubt it?

My SIMPLE point is that there might not have been any ARTICLES in which SPECIFIC SOCON OFFICIALS mention Coastal Carolina. But ther emight be articles that exist in which the reporters were privy to information not made public. I hate to be the barer of bad news, but many articles are based on such material.

Again, I have not read any OFFICIAL SOCON REPRESENTATIVES mention Coastal Carolina, but have read articles, like you have, in which they have been brought up as a candidate. Many have been editorial and speculation pieces, I understand.

But your broken record approach to this general topic in this thread is lackluster.

henfan
June 7th, 2006, 02:15 PM
My SIMPLE point is that there might not have been any ARTICLES in which SPECIFIC SOCON OFFICIALS mention Coastal Carolina. But ther emight be articles that exist in which the reporters were privy to information not made public. I hate to be the barer of bad news, but many articles are based on such material.

Yup, often. Tips from anonymous sources have used to bring down presidents and as rationale for going to war.

SoCon48
June 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Big difference. If you read an article in a newspaper and a "reporter" writes an article based on information shared with them from reliable sources BASED ON ANONYMITY, do you doubt it?

Again, I have not read any OFFICIAL SOCON REPRESENTATIVES mention Coastal Carolina, .

But your broken record approach to this general topic in this thread is lackluster.

but have read articles, like you have, in which they have been brought up as a candidate. Many have been editorial and speculation pieces, I understand

Exactly, they are editorial and speculative. There's just as much credibility in Coulson's post about Coastal NOT being a candidate as there is them being a candidate. Just as much credibility in Coastal using irresponsible recruiting tactics as there is them being a "leading candidate."
Who gives a big crap about "lackluster." The TRUTH is what I'm seeking. I'm NOT the one who made the original unsubstantiated comment about SoCon officials saying Coastal was a leading candidate.
It remains just that: unsubstantiated.

SoCon48
June 7th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Love it!xlolx xlolx

AppMan
June 8th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Here we go again. I wasn't bashing Coastal Carolina, I was just passing along some insight on a subject that I do know something about. I talk to people around the SoCon all of the time, who share info about a variety of subjects. No one is going to go on the record "officially" about this subject, but there are people at all of the schools who will give you a feel for what they have heard. When a recruit tells coaches what other schools are saying about your program and how they are telling recruits that coaching staffs are about to be fired, etc., the word gets around. That is common knowledge around the SoCon. And Coastal Carolina cost itself A LOT of support by doing that. CCU coaches were telling recruits that Jerry Moore, last year's I-AA AFCA coach of the year and national champion coach, was about to fired, along with his staff during recruiting before the 2005 season. They said the same thing about Kent Briggs and the Western Carolina staff. Here this guy is fighting cancer and some CCU coaches are pulling that crap. Lying is lying and it has NO place in recruiting. Tell the kids what a great program you have, don't do all of this negative stuff. The facts are that CCU went from being a school that had a lot of support to one that didn't in a short length of time and the actions of the assistants were a major reason for that erosion. I'm sorry that some folks from CCU don't like it, but that is what SoCon people are saying. I am under no obligation to quote people in a message board, unless I choose to, though a multitude of head coaches, assistants and support people from several different schools have confirmed this. You can choose to believe me, or not believe me. That is your choice. Like a lot of people around here, most of us choose to participate in this board as a community and we all do a lot to provide information and opinions on a variety of subjects. I'm sorry that some people take honesty so personally.\

I heard many of the same CCU stories prior to the 2005 season. I know ASU lost a few recruits to the Chants because of the numerous stories of Jerry Moore's impending demise. I'm also quite certain our FB staff doesn't have much love for their counterparts down in Conway. The Coastal, UNCW, Samford thing was brought to my attention by a very well connected and high ranking official at another SoCon school. If this thing has a snowball's chance of happening, this person would know about it. I'm quite sure no "official" word will come from any SoCon person until the day it (if) it happens. I was told a year ago UNCW was looking at options to the CAA. Since nobody has the guts to investigate the formation of a basketball driven conference, their best next option is the SoCon. Initially I wasn't in favor of CCU being admitted. However, after looking at all the options out there I don't know of another school that can come close to matching their potential. Besides they are a public university. You better believe Furman, The Citadel, and Wofford don't want them in the league. Their admission puts them on the same level as the Paladins, Bulldogs, and Ankle Biters, which makes them another recruiting opponent for in-state talent.

SoCon48
June 9th, 2006, 04:31 AM
\

I heard many of the same CCU stories prior to the 2005 season. I know ASU lost a few recruits to the Chants because of the numerous stories of Jerry Moore's impending demise. I'm also quite certain our FB staff doesn't have much love for their counterparts down in Conway. The Coastal, UNCW, Samford thing was brought to my attention by a very well connected and high ranking official at another SoCon school. If this thing has a snowball's chance of happening, this person would know about it. I'm quite sure no "official" word will come from any SoCon person until the day it (if) it happens. I was told a year ago UNCW was looking at options to the CAA. Since nobody has the guts to investigate the formation of a basketball driven conference, their best next option is the SoCon. Initially I wasn't in favor of CCU being admitted. However, after looking at all the options out there I don't know of another school that can come close to matching their potential. Besides they are a public university. You better believe Furman, The Citadel, and Wofford don't want them in the league. Their admission puts them on the same level as the Paladins, Bulldogs, and Ankle Biters, which makes them another recruiting opponent for in-state talent.

You hit the nail on the head, it isn't so much of a preference as it is lack of alternatives. I'd rather have Coastal than Samford or Hampton.

youwouldno
June 10th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Furman mostly recruits in Georgia. Myrtle Beach really isn't that close to Greenville. I don't know what Furman's stance is on CCU but it's not fear of geographic proximity.