PDA

View Full Version : SCSU Locks Up Pough

bosshogg
June 1st, 2006, 06:41 AM
Head ‘Dog staying put

SCSU wraps up Pough through 2011

By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer
Thursday, June 01, 2006

Following in the footsteps of coaching legend Willie Jeffries, Oliver “Buddy” Pough hoped to stick around at least long enough to turn South Carolina State into a national power again.

With a 34-13 record in four years and coming off a second straight season-ending ranking in the national Division I-AA polls, Pough will now look to expand on his success into the next decade. Following an executive session on Wednesday, the SCSU Board of Trustees announced plans to add two more years to Pough’s contract.

This is the second extension given to Pough since he succeeded Jeffries as head coach in 2001. Back in 2004, the board added two years to the five-year contract worth $105,000 annually to keep Pough through the 2009 season.

The new deal is expected to keep Pough at his alma mater through the 2011 season. It’s also expected to come with a pay raise, although the university will not release full details until attorneys from both sides finalize the agreement.

When reached about the contract extension, Pough said this shows the high level of confidence the board has in his work and the direction the football team is heading under his leadership. He also praised the university’s support through initiating steps to improve facilities such as the addition of artificial grass to Oliver C. Dawson Stadium this fall.

“The fact that our university has supported us in a way where we have the opportunities to have the success that we’ve had and some of the kinds of things that they’re doing to improve our circumstances ... are really, really special and make me feel like I’d like to be here to try to make this program successful.”

Since returning to SCSU, where he played offensive lineman under Jeffries and was a defensive coordinator under the late Bill Davis, Pough has more than matched his mentor’s accomplishments. The Bulldogs’ record showed improvement in each of his first three seasons and in 2004, the team claimed a share of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference regular-season title for the first time in 10 years.

SCSU has especially thrived in the spotlight under Pough, owning a 13-1 record in televised games and a perfect 12-0 when aired nationally. In addition, Pough’s Bulldogs have won 11 consecutive games in November and have ended their last three seasons with four-game winning streaks.

Last season, the Bulldogs went 9-2 for the second straight year and finished 19th in the final ESPN/USA Today and Sports Network Top 25 polls. The lone losses came at the hands of nationally-ranked foes conference champion Hampton and in-state rival Coastal Carolina by a combined margin of five points.

With a deep roster which returns several starters and an influx of new assistant coaches, Pough knows nothing short of a MEAC title or even the school’s first Division I-AA playoff appearance since 1982 will suffice.

“The expectations are a good bit higher now and I don’t know if we would accept anything less than a conference championship,” he said. “We talked about the fact that we’ve gone through those stages up to that point and I would think that would be the next step in our progression.”

SCSU will open training camp Aug. 5 and will travel to Wofford Sept. 1 for the season opener.

-- T&D Senior Sports Writer Thomas Grant Jr. can be reached by e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at 803-533-5547. Discuss this and other stories on-line at TheTandD.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

slostang
June 1st, 2006, 07:54 AM
Sounds like a great move by the board. Congrats.

OL FU
June 1st, 2006, 09:04 AM
Good news for the Bulldogs:nod:

DEX
June 2nd, 2006, 11:47 PM
Good move!

catamount man
June 3rd, 2006, 08:11 AM
Buddy Pough is a class act and deserves this royally! His teams back in the 90s at Fairfield Central High School were some of the best this state ever saw. Good luck to SCSU.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Big time money man!

Another article on Pough...

Pough to earn $1M over 5 years

By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer
Saturday, June 10, 2006

CHARLESTON — There are now a million reasons for South Carolina State head football coach Oliver “Buddy” Pough to remain at his alma mater.

Praising him for taking the football program to “unparalleled levels,” SCSU President Dr. Andrew Hugine made official Friday plans to make Pough the highest-paid coach in school history. Under the terms of Pough’s new contract, which starts July 1, he will be paid a base salary of $175,000 a year over the next five seasons.

Add the $25,000 made annually from “The Buddy Pough Show,” his weekly highlights program, and Pough stands to make $1 million to remain in Garnet and White through June 30, 2011 season.

This is the second extension given to Pough since he succeeded the legendary Willie Jeffries as head coach in 2001. Back in 2004, the board added two years to the five-year contract, worth $105,000 annually, to keep Pough through the 2009 season.

While private schools like Wofford and Furman do not disclose their coaches’ salaries, Pough’s new deal compares favorably with other in-state Division I-AA college football programs. Coastal Carolina head coach Dave Bennett’s renegotiated contract from last season pays him a yearly salary of $110,000, although it has built-in salary increases and incentives for conference championships and playoff appearances.

http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2006/06/10/news/doc448a4651b83a1932902362.txt

bosshogg
June 10th, 2006, 01:44 PM
SCSU is doing what it takes to be big time......and I don't think that they are paying him all that to go to the Heritage bowl...they are paying him that to make SCSU a playoff power!

rokamortis
June 10th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Looks like SCSU just raised the bar for the instate publics. I would expect Bennett to renogotiate his deal if he has another good year.

R.A.
June 10th, 2006, 04:16 PM
-Yep Boss. The power programs in our conference obviously don't want to leave the I-AA playoffs.

bosshogg
June 10th, 2006, 05:39 PM
yep....like I said...SCSU is trying to win the playoffs...I think the MEAC sees that.....but if they giveup that bid, they will see what we do

congrats to Pough

Maddog
June 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM
The last thing SCSU needs is a conference that is lowering the roof, know what I mean? Go get em' Buddy!

walliver
June 11th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Is there anything in his contract to penalize him for leaving early? I wouldn't be surprised to see Buddy Pough coaching at another level soon.