PDA

View Full Version : 2012 MVFC Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

mmiller_34
January 10th, 2012, 02:50 PM
We are now in the dreaded long wait for next season. Wanted to gather others opinions of what the MVFC might look like next year.

Here is how I see things shaking out.

Teams that will compete for the MVFC title

1. North Dakota State
2. Northern Iowa
3. Illinois State

These three teams are the strongest in the conference.

3. Youngstown State
5. Indiana State

Who knows if these teams will take their performance to the next level. They have talent, now they more experience. We'll see what happens

6. South Dakota State
7. Missouri State
8. South Dakota

These teams confuse me.

South Dakota State showed that they can score points, but their defense was awful. If they can get their defense in order maybe they can win some more games. Will Sumner have a sophomore slump? Or will he continue to be a good QB?

Missouri State MSU's QB (Wooden?), looks pretty good from what I saw in the SDSU game. But, he made alot of mistakes. If he can develop and correct some of those mistakes Missouri State might be able to leave the cellar of the MVFC.

South Dakota. No idea where to put them. Since they haven't played a full MVFC schedule we don't know how they will perform. We do know that they were a worse team than Illinois State was last year. However, alot of teams were worse than Illinois State. I don't see South Dakota hanging at the bottom, but I don't see them a strong competitor right away.

9. Southern Illinois
10. Western Illinois

These teams. What happened to these teams? I don't see them being at the bottom for long.

Southern Illinois - not sure how SIU received votes in that last AGS poll. I don't care if they only lost to NDSU by 6 or whatever the score was (9-3?) or beat Indiana State in the last game of the year. I assume this season was a fluke rebuilding season so it'll be interesting to see how they bounce back.

Western Illinois-- No idea.

Discuss. Have Fun. Can't wait for Next season. Go Jacks!

Twentysix
January 10th, 2012, 03:07 PM
NDSU ISUr and YSU are my mvfc contenders for next year. Unless ISUr or YSU have alot of defections.

The colorado state(CSU rams, Mountain West) fan board, seems to think they are gonna roll us next year. bwahaha.

darell1976
January 10th, 2012, 03:52 PM
South Dakota is starting 2012 with a new coach as Joe Glenn takes over the team. USD did have a good 2011 almost winning a share of the GWFC title. They beat Minnesota in 2010, however 6-5 in 08 and 11, 5-5 in 09, and 4-7 in 2010 is nothing to gloat about. USD hasn't won a road game since that Minnesota game in Sept of 2010 (0-9). Out of their 21-22 record in 4 years of transition their win vs DI opponents are 11-22 that includes 1-3 vs FBS opponents. They have a lot to prove with a new QB as well. I would put USD towards the bottom maybe battling for the cellar. They are tough in the DakotaDome but outside the dome could spell trouble for the Yotes.

DJKyR0
January 10th, 2012, 04:32 PM
NDSU is going to have a pretty big challenge in front of them if they want to repeat. Going on the road to UNI, ISUr and YSU is going to be tough, but having SIU, SDSU, and Indiana State at home will help. Needless to say taking care of business in OOC play will be huge if we expect to get back to the playoffs.

I see NDSU going 9-2 or 10-1 next season and I don't think it's outrageous to expect NDSU to beat Colorado State. Bad team with a new head coach, and Bison fans will travel for that one.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 10th, 2012, 04:38 PM
NDSU is going to have a pretty big challenge in front of them if they want to repeat. Going on the road to UNI, ISUr and YSU is going to be tough, but having SIU, SDSU, and Indiana State at home will help. Needless to say taking care of business in OOC play will be huge if we expect to get back to the playoffs.

I see NDSU going 9-2 or 10-1 next season and I don't think it's outrageous to expect NDSU to beat Colorado State. Bad team with a new head coach, and Bison fans will travel for that one.

Am I missing something? Gobison.com says YSU is the homecoming game at the FD. Don't know why it's back to back at Fargo.

Twentysix
January 10th, 2012, 04:46 PM
The schedule changed because of new teams entering and the way the schedule is made is different than previous years, we probably play YSU at home.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 10th, 2012, 04:48 PM
The schedule changed because of new teams entering and the way the schedule is made is different than previous years, we probably play YSU at home.

Bummer, I only live a couple hours from Youngstown. I will be hard pressed to get to 3 games like this year :)

Twentysix
January 10th, 2012, 04:53 PM
NDSU does not play WIU for the next 2 years.

Professor Chaos
January 10th, 2012, 04:59 PM
My early prediction is:

Top Tier
1) NDSU
2) UNI
3) YSU

Middle Tier
4) ISUb
5) ISUr
6) SDSU
7) SIU

Bottom Tier
8) WIU
9) USD
10) MSU

mmiller_34
January 10th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Tirrell Rennie was a senior wasn't he? Who is going to QB the Panthers next season?

Twentysix
January 10th, 2012, 05:15 PM
UNI will have drop off. They are in the 4-7 category imo. I would put one of the ISU's into the top 3 in their place.

Professor Chaos
January 10th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Tirrell Rennie was a senior wasn't he? Who is going to QB the Panthers next season?
They have a kid named Lanpher I believe who came in and looked pretty good against NDSU. I think they'll be fine with him. They lose more on defense with Boothby and Fort being gone but they bring back a good amount of starters. I think they'll be right there again next year.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 10th, 2012, 05:25 PM
They have a kid named Lanpher I believe who came in and looked pretty good against NDSU. I think they'll be fine with him. They lose more on defense with Boothby and Fort being gone but they bring back a good amount of starters. I think they'll be right there again next year.

Yeah, he was a RS Freshman and came in and looked poised. Burned us for a touchdown. They may lose some of Rennie's running ability but that other kid had a pretty good arm.

mmiller_34
January 10th, 2012, 05:29 PM
UNI will have drop off. They are in the 4-7 category imo. I would put one of the ISU's into the top 3 in their place.

UNI never seems to have a truly off year. They just reload and push forward. An off year for UNI is what? 8-3 or 7-4? I wouldn't bunch them with the middle tier. I do see ISUr, Youngstown St, and North Dakota State being more experienced thus giving them more credibility as contenders next year.

Twentysix
January 10th, 2012, 05:39 PM
7-4 makes them middle teir, 8-3 puts them in the top 3.

clenz
January 10th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Yeah, he was a RS Freshman and came in and looked poised. Burned us for a touchdown. They may lose some of Rennie's running ability but that other kid had a pretty good arm.

He may not start, honestly.

Now, we will have him, Carlos Anderson and a transfer or two from Kansas that all went to HS together so there could be a lot of chemistry. However, the kid UNI redshirted this past year has a rocket for an arm, and is probably a better "pure" QB.

Here is his HS bio
Served as the starting quarterback at Jenks as a sophomore, junior and senior ... was a first-team all-state selection as a junior and senior ... named the Oklahoma District 6A-3 Player of the Year ... finished with a 33-3-0 record as a starter ... led Jenks to three consecutive state title games ... set the Jenks record with 6,716 passing yards and ranks second in school history with 74 touchdown passes ... rushed for 11 touchdowns in his career ... threw for 2,602 yards and 38 touchdowns in 2010, a school record for touchdown passes ... threw just three interceptions and completed 73.4 percent of his passes ... had a QB rating of 147.02 as a senior, completing 78 percent of Jenks' scoring drives in six plays or fewer ... helped Jenks lead all Oklahoma schools in scoring ... Jenks was ranked as high as No. 5 in the nation in 2010

Sr highlight tape

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtsn84xQvHA

As you can see Jenks is one of the top FB programs in the nation, and is in the same city as Tulsa. I don't know how he didn't land at Tulsa, OSU, Missouri, Kansas, etc... from watching tape and stats.

Offensively UNI returns the entire running back core, all the tight ends, 4 of 5 offensive lineman, and 3 or 4 of the top 5 WR from the past year. Losing Rennie will be tough, but maybe having a QB with a similar skill set to what our OC is used too will be huge for us. Allow us to get back to more of a power game with a true deep threat as a QB and WRs.

Dgreenwell3
January 10th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Indiana state lost Fouch and sewall along with other defensive talents...looks like the trees are headed in the direction of a more option based offense though several FBS qb transfers who are all considered to be dual threats.

BisonBacker
January 11th, 2012, 09:03 AM
No way UNI will be a 4-7 team. They are better than that and as has been pointed out already they have a good QB coming in or at least he looked pretty darn good in the Dome.

DJKyR0
January 11th, 2012, 09:56 AM
No way UNI will be a 4-7 team. They are better than that and as has been pointed out already they have a good QB coming in or at least he looked pretty darn good in the Dome.

I don't think he meant their record would be 4-7, rather they'd be a middle-of-the-pack team in the MVFC. With how good NDSU, YSU, and ISUr look to be with a lot of talent returning and compared with UNI's losses in Rennie and others, I don't think it's an outrageous claim.

Twentysix
January 11th, 2012, 10:34 AM

He may turn out to be good, but nothing is proven yet. UNI finishing in 4th would be pretty belivable.

And yes djkyro that is what I meant. ranked in the 4th to 7th group of the MVFC.

ISUr YSU and NDSU should all be very good next year all three of them will probably be better than this year, where as I see UNI taking a slight step backwards.

MplsBison
January 11th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I won't believe that UNI is capable of finishing worse than 3rd until I see it.

underdawg
January 11th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I like the idea you guys think we'll suck next season.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 11th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I like the idea you guys think we'll suck next season.

I don't think you'll suck, just fall on your face in the playoffs like every year.

Twentysix
January 11th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I don't think you'll suck, just fall on your face in the playoffs like every year.

How many NC's has SIU won?

birdsflyhigh
January 11th, 2012, 03:55 PM
My take on the 2012 MVFC: it's going to be tough-as-nails, and as a conference it should be getting PLENTY of national respect.

I see it as:

Top level..
NDSU Bison (defending national champion....oooo yeah!)
ISU Birds (a team that was ABSOLUTELY screwed out of a deserved playoff spot)
YSU Guins (young team that stays together and should be ultra-competitive)

Level 2...
UNI Cats (lose alot, but hey it's UNI, so you know they'll be close to the top)
ISU Trees (the program has been turned around now and looks to stay so)
SDSU Jacks (really turned it on the second half of the season)
SIU Salukis (should bounce back, but how far?)

Level 3....
USD Yotes (could be more competive than many fans think)
MSU Bears (this program should be better)
WIU Necks (another struggling year?)

Overall, the Valley truly deserves ALOT more national respect as it's an absolute meat grinder of a conference. Your team better be ready to play each Saturday as the team on the other side certainly WILL be ready to battle it all the way.

My prediction for 2012: the MVFC lands 3-4 playoff spots with an outside chance at 5. xnodx

penguinpower
January 11th, 2012, 04:08 PM
How many NC's has SIU won?

I think they won 1 in 1982 or 1983

Twentysix
January 11th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I think SDSU will be one of the worst in the conference with their coaching staff loss.

They just can't catch a break.

Drblankstare
January 11th, 2012, 10:39 PM
My early prediction is:

Top Tier
1) NDSU
2) UNI
3) YSU

Middle Tier
4) ISUb
5) ISUr
6) SDSU
7) SIU

Bottom Tier
8) WIU
9) USD
10) MSU

This seems about right to me. Should be a dogfight, just like every year. Alot of talent in this conference.

frozennorth
January 12th, 2012, 05:01 AM
National Contenders:
1) NDSU
2) YSU

Playoff teams:
3) ISU
4) ISU
5) UNI

also rans
6) SDSU
7) SIU
8) USD

*facepalm*
9) WIU
10)MSU

Sycamore51
January 12th, 2012, 01:43 PM
INST has to replace some quality starters on both sides of the ball, but for us it will come down to our kicking game. With any kicking game at all I believe we would have been 8-3 or 7-4 last year. I really think that if we have a kicker step up this year that we will be in the 8-3/7-4 range next year. If not we will be 6-5/5-6 area. One good thing that we have going for us is that we don't have to play UNI.

ysubigred
January 12th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I think they won 1 in 1982 or 1983

You are correct 1983 was the 1st year the Valley won a NC (SIU). Not sure if they were part of the MVFC or Gateway or whatever the conference may have been called back in 1983. Like YSU 3 of our 4 NC's came as independents. 1997 was the the 1st year in the GFC/MVFC for YSU our last NC.

achrist70
January 12th, 2012, 06:17 PM
These are the type of UNI teams that seem to do the best. I think most Panther fans are looking forward to a new QB. Tirrell did some good things, but Jared or Sawyer will be able to take far more advantage of the talent we have at wideout.

BTD30
January 12th, 2012, 06:40 PM
If you ask me, don't get sold on YSU being a contender in the league until our defense and special teams improves and plays better....

penguinpower
January 12th, 2012, 10:32 PM
If you ask me, don't get sold on YSU being a contender in the league until our defense and special teams improves and plays better....

It will the too many underclassmen last year.

344Johnson
January 12th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I can't imagine UNI not putting together another good team in tier one. They have a lot of talent still, though they certainly faded down the stretch without a doubt.

Vitojr130
January 13th, 2012, 10:27 AM
NDSU ISUr and YSU are my mvfc contenders for next year. Unless ISUr or YSU have alot of defections.

The colorado state(CSU rams, Mountain West) fan board, seems to think they are gonna roll us next year. bwahaha.

Exactly this^. Odds have it that UNI will not be a top contender next year as they are going to be annihilated by graduations. NDSU will be back in almost full force for the next 2 seasons (most of our big playmakers were only sophomores this past year) and I like ISUr and YSU's chances of being great next year. This is going to be a tough conference again next year...

clenz
January 13th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Exactly this^. Odds have it that UNI will not be a top contender next year as they are going to be annihilated by graduations. NDSU will be back in almost full force for the next 2 seasons (most of our big playmakers were only sophomores this past year) and I like ISUr and YSU's chances of being great next year. This is going to be a tough conference again next year...

Explain the "annihilated" by graduation.

Offensively UNI returns
every running back
every tight-end
4 of the 5 offensive lineman
6 of the top 8 players who recorded wr stats last year

Yep, essentially UNI loses 1 WR, an OL, and the QB. The QB is the only one that might be an issue to replace. I loved Rennie at UNI, but having our OC have a pocket QB may be better for our offense than Rennie as he is more comfortable using a pocket QB.

Defensively, yes we are hurt by graduation....but tell me the last time UNI wasn't hurt by graduation on defense and had a bad defense....I'll wait......

BisonHype!
January 13th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I can't see UNI not finishing Top 3 this year. This is how I see it breaking down.

1. NDSU
2. Illinois State
3. UNI
4. YSU

Vitojr130
January 13th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Explain the "annihilated" by graduation.

Offensively UNI returns
every running back
every tight-end
4 of the 5 offensive lineman
6 of the top 8 players who recorded wr stats last year

Yep, essentially UNI loses 1 WR, an OL, and the QB. The QB is the only one that might be an issue to replace. I loved Rennie at UNI, but having our OC have a pocket QB may be better for our offense than Rennie as he is more comfortable using a pocket QB.

Defensively, yes we are hurt by graduation....but tell me the last time UNI wasn't hurt by graduation on defense and had a bad defense....I'll wait......

And here in-lies where UNI's rebuilding year will come from. Your second string quarterback from this year will probably be starting next year (duh), but how much playing time has he seen this year? Barely any. Believe it or not, but the QB plays a huge role in deciding whether or not a good team will be great, or a poor team will be piss-poor. Isn't UNI also loosing the two biggest tacklers on defense as well? Unless players step-up big time next year, I believe UNI will be a middle tier MVFC team, behind NDSU and ISUr and YSU.

clenz
January 13th, 2012, 11:15 AM
And here in-lies where UNI's rebuilding year will come from. Your second string quarterback from this year will probably be starting next year (duh), but how much playing time has he seen this year? Barely any. Believe it or not, but the QB plays a huge role in deciding whether or not a good team will be great, or a poor team will be piss-poor. Isn't UNI also loosing the two biggest tacklers on defense as well? Unless players step-up big time next year, I believe UNI will be a middle tier MVFC team, behind NDSU and ISUr and YSU.
Lanpher saw pretty good time this year....in some tough situations
27-47 (58%), 365 yards (13.5 ypc), 4 TD

Trust me, UNI's offense will be just as good, maybe better, next year. UNI's OC doesn't like running QB's but Rennie was too much of a talent to pass up. Getting a pocket QB in his system will be huge for comfort of play calls.

Oh, and he may not start either - like I said, check the video of the kid we redshirted.

steelbison
January 13th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Agree with Clenz, anyone not including UNI as a top team in the conference doesn't know much about football.

UNI has a program that is in the running EVERY year..it's called reloading...which we are finally getting back to. It's the way we used to be.

Can't wait for the trip to Cedar Falls!!

NoDak 4 Ever
January 13th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Agree with Clenz, anyone not including UNI as a top team in the conference doesn't know much about football.

UNI has a program that is in the running EVERY year..it's called reloading...which we are finally getting back to. It's the way we used to be.

Ever been to Cedar Falls? Reminds me of Dickinson. Nothing to look forward to.

Twentysix
January 13th, 2012, 02:10 PM

You clearly have a short term memory.

DI wins/losses

UNI 2010 7-5 lost in the first round
UNI 2009 7-4 no playoffs
UNI 2006 7-3 no playoffs loss to a D2 program that is not being counted
UNI 2004 6-4 no playoffs

To say they contend every year is a load of bull****. And I would say you don't know much about football if you are going to say people putting them outside the contenders don't know much.

UNI is not going to be a 2-9 team next year, but if they are worse than 8-3 they are not gonna be contending for a valley crown.

04 http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2460/year/2004/northern-iowa-panthers
06 http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2460/year/2006/northern-iowa-panthers
09 http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2460/year/2009/northern-iowa-panthers
10 http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2460/year/2010/northern-iowa-panthers

steelbison
January 13th, 2012, 02:21 PM

DI wins/losses

UNI 2009 7-4 no playoffs
UNI 2004 6-4 no playoffs

To say they contend every year is a load of bull****. And I would say you don't know much about football if you are going to say people putting them outside the contenders don't know much.

UNI is not going to be a 2-9 team next year, but if they are worse than 8-3 they are not gonna be contending for a valley crown.

04 http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2460/year/2004/northern-iowa-panthers
06 http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2460/year/2006/northern-iowa-panthers
09 http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2460/year/2009/northern-iowa-panthers
10 http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2460/year/2010/northern-iowa-panthers

Tell you what, I'll bet you a case of beer that UNI finishes in the top three in the conference next year.

of the records you showed me there is I believe one year they finished out of the top three.

Bet?

steelbison
January 13th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Ever been to Cedar Falls? Reminds me of Dickinson. Nothing to look forward to.

I have, twice for Bison games. Had a GREAT time tailgating with the UNI guys. Game..not so much. Hopefully we get them back next fall!

Twentysix
January 13th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Tell you what, I'll bet you a case of beer that UNI finishes in the top three in the conference next year.

of the records you showed me there is I believe one year they finished out of the top three.

Bet?

If you live in fargo I would take that bet. A case of bottles, in the 17-20 dollar range.

UNI finished 4th or lower I win.

3rd or higher you win.

clenz
January 13th, 2012, 02:24 PM
2010 - conference champs
2009 - massive let down, finished tied for 3rd
2006 - look at what we lost from the 2005 runner up team and third in the conference
2004 - 3rd in the conference

So....even our worst years are third in the conference.....

Hell, guess how many times in 27 years UNI hasn't finished in the top 3 of the conference....guess.

I'll wait until you answer to post the correct total.

clenz
January 13th, 2012, 02:25 PM

Bet?

Top three every ****ing year.....

steelbison
January 13th, 2012, 02:26 PM
done..and I do!

steelbison
January 13th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Top three every ****ing year.....

Clenz, I'm on your side!! lol

So your saying my case of beer is in the bag!!

darell1976
January 13th, 2012, 02:28 PM
2010 - conference champs
2006 - look at what we lost from the 2005 runner up team and third in the conference

Hell, guess how many times in 27 years UNI hasn't finished in the top 3 of the conference....guess.

Don't forget losing to DII North Dakota in the UNI Dome in your year by year resume.

clenz
January 13th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Clenz, I'm on your side!! lol

So your saying my case of beer is in the bag!!
I'll give you a hint as to how many times UNI has finished outside of the top 3......Homer Simpson could count them on his hand without using his thumb.

clenz
January 13th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Don't forget losing to DII North Dakota in the UNI Dome in your year by year resume.

That doesn't matter in the conference standings I'm talking about.

That wasn't even the biggest disappointment of the day....The banner raising, then dropping was.

darell1976
January 13th, 2012, 02:31 PM
That doesn't matter in the conference standings I'm talking about.

That wasn't even the biggest disappointment of the day....The banner raising, then dropping was.

So how come you didn't make the playoffs with 7 wins? I thought that was the magic number.

clenz
January 13th, 2012, 02:33 PM
So how come you didn't make the playoffs with 7 wins? I thought that was the magic number.

Finished tied for third in the conference, with a head to head loss to the team we tied with....3 teams from the conference got in that year, UNI was left out.

darell1976
January 13th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Finished tied for third in the conference, with a head to head loss to the team we tied with....3 teams from the conference got in that year, UNI was left out.

Damn that sucks....Good luck this year UNI, I hope someday you guys can visit our building.

clenz
January 13th, 2012, 02:36 PM

DI wins/losses

UNI 2009 7-4 no playoffs
UNI 2004 6-4 no playoffs

I know it's tough to understand but, you'll see now just how hard it is to dominate a conference when you have the target on your back. You can't go 8-10 wins every year in this conference....not when every team you play sees you as the big game of the year.

UNI has had that target on their back pretty much the entire time they've been in the conference, and have done well in conference play. Sadly outside of conference play has been a struggle.

MSUBear42
January 13th, 2012, 02:42 PM
We suck balls.

clenz
January 13th, 2012, 02:44 PM
We suck balls.

You wanna argue over under with me again for W's for MSU next season?

Or

Have you finally realized that me telling you that your football program is complete **** and good for about 2 wins a year is correct?

MSUBear42
January 13th, 2012, 02:53 PM
You wanna argue over under with me again for W's for MSU next season?

Or

Have you finally realized that me telling you that your football program is complete **** and good for about 2 wins a year is correct?

That's for reminding me, you owe me a shirt.

You bet that we wouldn't win "more than one game" in the league. We won 2.

Our program was better before your old hack of a coach showed up. The guy is a pathetic joke of a football coach and if it wasn't for our assistants we'd be 0-11 every year.

Thundar
January 13th, 2012, 02:58 PM
NDSU
UNI
ISU-R
YSU
ISU-B
SDSU
WIU
SIU
MSU
USD

all teams with a conference loss again

BTW, who wins the Auto bid if say WIU a team NDSU does not play next year runs the table in conference and goes 8-0 then on the other hand NDSU runs the table and goes 8-0, how will they determine if that happens

clenz
January 13th, 2012, 02:58 PM
That's for reminding me, you owe me a shirt.

You bet that we wouldn't win "more than one game" in the league. We won 2.

Our program was better before your old hack of a coach showed up. The guy is a pathetic joke of a football coach and if it wasn't for our assistants we'd be 0-11 every year.
Wrong about the shirt....that was settled as we couldn't pick a number and we settled at 2, it as a push.

The coach won at UNI....MSU is just impossible to win at.

MSUBear42
January 13th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Oh yeah, that's right.

It is impossible, but we also have hired the same "style" of coach the last few times... MSU needs to do EXACTLY what they did with Basketball and hire a young, up-and-coming coach who actually gets his players excited about playing for MSU. I've talked to several current and former football players and they ALL say they don't respect TA as a coach. It's sad.

frozennorth
January 13th, 2012, 03:10 PM
2010 - conference champs

you might have missed it, but your conference is bigger now. a 7-4 season that in the past would have been good enough for 3rd might only get you in a tie for fourth now.

JSUBison
January 13th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Seems like the past few years, YSU has always been the popular pick to make a run the next season, and they dissapoint the following year. I'd like to see them back in the playoffs, but it's hard for me to pick them in the top 3 for next year. They're kind of like ISU-Red in a way, both are talented and more than capable, but just haven't got over the hump yet.

I'll put my order of finish in later this year after I can see what teams lose and bring back. SIU lost their good back, lot can happen.

clenz
January 13th, 2012, 03:13 PM
you might have missed it, but your conference is bigger now. a 7-4 season that in the past would have been good enough for 3rd might only get you in a tie for fourth now.

Depends where the losses come....

UNI could finished 7-4 this year and only have two conference loss. Look at the schedule. Wisconsin and Iowa OOC along with Savanah State....2 conferences losses will finish second this year.

3 conferences losses would likely be third.

MplsBison
January 13th, 2012, 05:10 PM
2010 - conference champs

2011 - 2nd place

clenz
January 13th, 2012, 05:18 PM
2011 - 2nd place
2011 T-1st

underdawg
January 13th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Seems like the past few years, YSU has always been the popular pick to make a run the next season, and they dissapoint the following year. I'd like to see them back in the playoffs, but it's hard for me to pick them in the top 3 for next year. They're kind of like ISU-Red in a way, both are talented and more than capable, but just haven't got over the hump yet.

I'll put my order of finish in later this year after I can see what teams lose and bring back. SIU lost their good back, lot can happen.

True--Jewel Hampton declared for the draft. But SIU picked up Antonio Banks (soph from University of Indiana for spring) who is the same type of power runner (5'10", 213 pounds) with good speed (4.5 second forty). Whether we'll get the same production out of him--who knows. I think we will sign one more transfer back beside him.

MplsBison
January 13th, 2012, 05:19 PM
2011 T-1st

Sorry, thought you knew: http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205324814

Brock Jensen completed a career-high 22 of 25 passes for 204 yards and a touchdow as 3rd-ranked North Dakota State took sole possession of first place in the Missouri Valley Conference with a 27-19 victory over 2nd-ranked Northern Iowa before a sellout crowd of 18,886 in the Fargodome on Saturday, Oct. 29.

Twentysix
January 13th, 2012, 05:36 PM
2010 - conference champs

Its our conference now punk. You can stick to your flopper ways, and we will keep taking home national trophies.

clenz
January 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Sorry, thought you knew: http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205324814
I thought you knew....

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205332426

You had sole possession, then lost ending in a tie.

344Johnson
January 13th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Its our conference now punk. You can stick to your flopper ways, and we will keep taking home national trophies.

No need for that. Northern Iowa will get a title sooner or later...though the lack of post-season success recently is a bit of a headscratcher I must admit.

Twentysix
January 13th, 2012, 05:43 PM
No need for that. Northern Iowa will get a title sooner or later...though the lack of post-season success recently is a bit of a headscratcher I must admit.

Recently? you mean for 100 years?

clenz
January 13th, 2012, 06:03 PM

You'll stop trying to understand....

Finishing an average of 6-2ish in conference every year but 2-1/2-2 OOC and a playoff loss ever year....you stop trying to understand and enjoy the conference season.

I'm to the point of being a Cubs fan....I hope and enjoy the good regular seasons, but come playoff time I know it is a matter of time before something stupid happens.

Hansel
January 13th, 2012, 07:12 PM

The paint fell off the wall?

Wilson16
January 13th, 2012, 09:08 PM
You'll stop trying to understand....

Finishing an average of 6-2ish in conference every year but 2-1/2-2 OOC and a playoff loss ever year....you stop trying to understand and enjoy the conference season.

I'm to the point of being a Cubs fan....I hope and enjoy the good regular seasons, but come playoff time I know it is a matter of time before something stupid happens.

I clenz myself from never having won a national championship. Feels good. How you doing?

DJKyR0
January 13th, 2012, 10:38 PM
You had sole possession, then lost ending in a tie.

Meh. We ended up with sole possession of the trophy that really counts.

clenz
January 13th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Meh. We ended up with sole possession of the trophy that really counts.
Touche.

Thundar
January 14th, 2012, 08:41 AM

Then we lost to YSU remember

MplsBison
January 14th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Then we lost to YSU remember

Yep.

And so both NDSU and UNI finished with equal records, with NDSU having beat UNI head-to-head.

Hence the understood meaning is NDSU is 1st and UNI is 2nd.

That the standard interpretation....in the world.

But be obtuse in your own mind if you like. NDSU is the national champion of the division, that's more important.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Sumner (SDSU), is going to cause a lot of teams trouble next year. Jacks get their defense in order they will make some noise.

Twentysix
January 14th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Sumner (SDSU), is going to cause a lot of teams trouble next year. Jacks get their defense in order they will make some noise.

Maybe, they lost their Ocoord. Hopefully that throws him off track.

344Johnson
January 14th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Maybe, they lost their Ocoord. Hopefully that throws him off track.

and a stud receiver

BisonHype!
January 14th, 2012, 01:14 PM

I agree. I think they could suprise some teams.

Houndawg
January 15th, 2012, 07:37 AM

Wait til you see the RB xfer from Iowa that replaces him..

penguinpower
January 15th, 2012, 07:54 AM

Wait till you see the RB that YSU is going to showcase this coming year. The HC coached Mendenhall (Who plays for the Steelers ...spelling of his name?) when he was at Illinois and he said this Hymes kid is better than Mendenhall. He said he is the best RB he has seen in his coaching career and he thought Mendenhall was good. They red shirted him last year because they were so deep at RB. The coach said he played on the scout team and he was simply unstoppable. Those are some big statements from the HC. At YSU we have always had great RB's, and to hear that from the HC is very interesting.

penguinpower
January 15th, 2012, 08:01 AM

YSU has had Wolford for only 2 years. The coach didn't recruit his player until last year. YSU has been very young due to turnover, but this is their year. they will break away from the middle of the pack in the MVFC. The problem is that the conference is a meat grinder and the home team wins 80% of the games. You obviously saw the level of talent on display when the Penguins play you at the Fargo Dome. Unfortunately they have to play you again at the Fargo Dome because the idiot conference commissioner is adding North Dakota and jacking up the scheduling.

MplsBison
January 15th, 2012, 12:57 PM

Yeah, yeah...

My experience with BCS transfers is, if he's really that good he would've stayed there or transferred to another BCS school and sat out a year.

Guys who transfer from BCS programs and become elite players at the FCS level are not common. I can only think of Flacco off the top of my head, though there are probably others.

MplsBison
January 15th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Wait till you see the RB that YSU is going to showcase this coming year. The HC coached Mendenhall (Who plays for the Steelers ...spelling of his name?) when he was at Illinois and he said this Hymes kid is better than Mendenhall. He said he is the best RB he has seen in his coaching career and he thought Mendenhall was good. They red shirted him last year because they were so deep at RB. The coach said he played on the scout team and he was simply unstoppable. Those are some big statements from the HC. At YSU we have always had great RB's, and to hear that from the HC is very interesting.

Every MVFC school has a great RB. That's the MO of the league.

FargoBison
January 15th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Every MVFC school has a great RB. That's the MO of the league.

Maybe every team but SDSU. The lack of the running game is what killed SDSU, especially against the better MVFC teams. People can talk about Sumner but until the fix their ground game they won't be winning at a high level.

CommishBigSmooth
January 15th, 2012, 02:45 PM
YSU has had Wolford for only 2 years. The coach didn't recruit his player until last year. YSU has been very young due to turnover, but this is their year. they will break away from the middle of the pack in the MVFC. The problem is that the conference is a meat grinder and the home team wins 80% of the games. You obviously saw the level of talent on display when the Penguins play you at the Fargo Dome. Unfortunately they have to play you again at the Fargo Dome because the idiot conference commissioner is adding North Dakota and jacking up the scheduling.

Penguinpower, completely agree on the meat grinder comment, but I think you will find the home winning percentage in the Valley works out to more like 60% of the time historically, not 80%. Home teams this year in the league were nearly 50-50 during conference play. UNI was the only team to be perfect at home this year in Valley play, if my quick look at the schedule is correct, with NDSU (to YSU) and Illinois State (to UNI) going 3-1 at home.

And I think you meant South Dakota on the adding teams comment. It's not uncommon for when a conference undergoes membership changes or reaches the end of a scheduling "cycle" to have back-to-back games at one site against a team, from past conference experience.

underdawg
January 15th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah, yeah...

My experience with BCS transfers is, if he's really that good he would've stayed there or transferred to another BCS school and sat out a year.

Guys who transfer from BCS programs and become elite players at the FCS level are not common. I can only think of Flacco off the top of my head, though there are probably others.

http:www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSnKnosCRsA

Seeing is believing!

Thundar
January 15th, 2012, 03:30 PM

Ummm....MVFC will be adding SOUTH Dakota not NORTH Dakota

X-Factor
January 15th, 2012, 03:41 PM

You dont even know which teams are being added to your own conference....North Dakota is going to the sky

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

MplsBison
January 15th, 2012, 04:29 PM

Seeing is believing!

I agree he looked great against the JV high school teams he was running against in that video.

If he was actually good enough to play in the Big Ten he would've stayed at Iowa or transferred and sat out a year. We'll see if he even wins the job in spring ball, good luck to him.

Professor Chaos
January 15th, 2012, 04:29 PM
The team that just won the national title had zero FBS transfer on the roster.... just sayin.

MplsBison
January 15th, 2012, 04:31 PM
The team that just won the national title had zero FBS transfer on the roster.... just sayin.

Also I would guess none of them were even three star rated or whatever the bull***t system they use on those websites is.

penguinpower
January 15th, 2012, 06:33 PM
You dont even know which teams are being added to your own conference....North Dakota is going to the sky

It doesn't matter. Either way we are going to have South Dakota State and South Dakota. I guarantee you that 90% of the US population wouldn't know the difference. And the commish is stupid for adding them.

clenz
January 15th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Seeing is believing!

FBS player UNI had transfer...hailed as one of the best players in California history - Whitney Lewis. #3 player in the nation coming out of HS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdhjjHLfAfw

He was better than Reggie Bush coming out of HS....he never panned out to be ****.

MplsBison
January 15th, 2012, 08:01 PM
It doesn't matter. Either way we are going to have South Dakota State and South Dakota. I guarantee you that 90% of the US population wouldn't know the difference. And the commish is stupid for adding them.

Well any time YSU wants to head over to the CAA, I think EIU or UND would be a great addition to MVFC (and the Summit correspondingly).

MplsBison
January 15th, 2012, 08:06 PM
FBS player UNI had transfer...hailed as one of the best players in California history - Whitney Lewis. #3 player in the nation coming out of HS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdhjjHLfAfw

He was better than Reggie Bush coming out of HS....he never panned out to be ****.

This is exactly the type of player I hope NDSU never brings into the program. The kid who has been told by his parents, friends and family that he is the definition of 5 stars, he deserves everything handed to him, if the coach doesn't give them the ball every play he should be fired and that the rules don't apply, etc.

Don't want 'em, don't need 'em.

penguinpower
January 15th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Well any time YSU wants to head over to the CAA, I think EIU or UND would be a great addition to MVFC (and the Summit correspondingly).

This isn't about the Dakotas. I happen to like NDSU, but the issue is that we now have 2 Dakota teams in the MVFC. The distance makes travel difficult and they keep expanding West. Isn't this Big Sky country? It was okay that they added NDSU and SDSU, but now they have added SU. What is next? The fans have to fly to get to a game because the drive is like 24 hours. I wish we would go to the CAA. Towson is 3.5 hours away and the closest game for us right now is 6.5 at Indiana State.

FargoBison
January 15th, 2012, 08:15 PM

It was actually a solid move, it solidified the Dakota schools in the MVFC and helped stabilize the Summit League which is good if you want a stable MVFC.

clenz
January 15th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I would drop YSU for UND, or EIU in a freaking second.

Wilson16
January 15th, 2012, 09:00 PM
This isn't about the Dakotas. I happen to like NDSU, but the issue is that we now have 2 Dakota teams in the MVFC. The distance makes travel difficult and they keep expanding West. Isn't this Big Sky country? It was okay that they added NDSU and SDSU, but now they have added SU. What is next? The fans have to fly to get to a game because the drive is like 24 hours. I wish we would go to the CAA. Towson is 3.5 hours away and the closest game for us right now is 6.5 at Indiana State.

Goodbye to you guys. Makes sence for both sides and you'll have a better chance to win in the CAA :). The Big Sky and MVC will change in the future anyway once Montana/Montana State leave for the next level. Going west is where it will be best.

MplsBison
January 15th, 2012, 09:20 PM

Then it's a win-win situation for if YSU would leave for the CAA.

YSU is the only MVFC team that doesn't play basketball in the Summit or MVC.

underdawg
January 15th, 2012, 10:02 PM

Good for you xnodx

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 16th, 2012, 10:31 AM

I definitely agree with this.

BisonFan02
January 16th, 2012, 10:36 AM

Ditto.

penguinpower
January 16th, 2012, 10:53 AM

Why?

goyotes
January 16th, 2012, 10:53 AM

One of the few items you will find Bison, Jacks & Yotes in agreement on. Am guessing most UND fans would also agree, but would not admit so in public.

goyotes
January 16th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Why?

Nothing personal as the Penguins are a traditional upper tier team, but it is just as far from the Dakotas to Ohio as Ohio to the Dakotas

BisonFan02
January 16th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Nothing personal as the Penguins are a traditional upper tier team, but it is just as far from the Dakotas to Ohio as Ohio to the Dakotas

Dropping YSU is probably a poor choice of words. YSU would be better served in the CAA or a mid major FBS conference than the MVFC.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 16th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Why?

Geography, that is all. If it was a choice between EIU or UND, I would choose the other schools.

It wouldn't surprise me if YSU's admin would take an offer from the CAA in the future...less travel.

penguinpower
January 16th, 2012, 11:39 AM

I know...it sucks becuase we have no natrual rival. Akron and Kent used to be, but we don't play them anymore.

clenz
January 16th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Geography, that is all. If it was a choice between EIU or UND, I would choose the other schools.

It wouldn't surprise me if YSU's admin would take an offer from the CAA in the future...less travel.Why?

It isn't just geography, although that is a big part of it (Which is why I'd rather have EIU over UND....and NDSU for that matter honestly)....it's because YSU has nothing to do with any of the other MVFC schools in anyway. YSU has never played UNI in anything (womens basketball this year due to a tournament I believe), I don't remember YSU ever playing any of the other MVFC teams either (unless it was some sport that does nothing except take up title ix requirements and spend the schools money).

YSU has no rivals in the MVFC, no matter what they want to believe. The Dakota schools have each other, plus WIU, for all other sports. UNI, MSU, SIU, ISUR, ISUB, etc... all have each other for all other sports.....Heck, UNI has played SDSU in basketball recently and has played UNI two or three times the last 4 years, and I wouldn't be shocked if USD or SDSU ended up on the schedule again...

Then there's that school in a dumpy town in Ohio.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 16th, 2012, 06:20 PM
NDSU has also played UNI in WBB-soccer-VB and they are in the same wrestling conference also.

344Johnson
January 17th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I like having YSU in the Valley more than I'd like having even a UND in the conference. YSU is traditionally a pretty good team. From a good part of the country football wise. And on top of that, it gives our players a chance to play in a different state.

BisonFan02
January 17th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I like having YSU in the Valley more than I'd like having even a UND in the conference. YSU is traditionally a pretty good team. From a good part of the country football wise. And on top of that, it gives our players a chance to play in a different state.

Two divisions of 5...two options below (second less ideal with EIU regionally, but it could be shuffled around) and can grow to 12 at some point.

1)
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND
UNI

ISUb
ISUr
SIU
WIU
MSU

2)
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI
WIU

ISUb
ISUr
SIU
EIU
MSU

Home/Home (if desired) and playoffs get you "out of state".

darell1976
January 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM
One of the few items you will find Bison, Jacks & Yotes in agreement on. Am guessing most UND fans would also agree, but would not admit so in public.

I would agree. I would love to have UND in the MVFC just so we can be with the other 3 Dakota teams. It is nice to play with the Montana's and the Cali teams but overall the MVFC is where UND needs to be.

AmsterBison
January 17th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Well, I sure don't agree with some of these posts. Fine, add UND if it works out, but I don't see getting rid of one of the crown jewels of the MVFC to do so (i.e. Youngstown State.)

clenz
January 17th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Well, I sure don't agree with some of these posts. Fine, add UND if it works out, but I don't see getting rid of one of the crown jewels of the MVFC to do so (i.e. Youngstown State.)

Crown jewels of the MVFC? Please explain.

Since joining the MVFC YSU has gone:
97: 12-3 (3rd in conference, playoffs)
98: 6-5 (4th in conference)
99: 12-3 (2nd in conference, playoffs)
00: 9-3 (t-second in conference, playoffs - lost first round)
(all tressel years)
01: 8-3 (t-second in conference)
02: 7-4 (t-third in conference)
03: 5-7 (6th in conference)
04: 4-7 7(7th in conference)
05: 8-3 (t-first in conference, lost tie break and didn't make the playoffs)
06: 11-3 (first in conference, playoffs)
07: 7-4 (t-third in conference)
08: 4-8 (7th in conference)
09: 6-5 (t-5th in conference)
10: 3-8 (9th in conference, last place)
11: 6-5 (5th in conference)

Since Tressel left YSU is 69-57....Since "Tressels players" were gone YSU is 54-50. What about YSU makes them a "crown jewel"? Their average finish in conference? 5.5

They have only 2 conference titles, and only 1 outright....they've finished bottom half of conference just as much as top half. Heck, they've only been to the playoffs 4 times since joining the MVFC, only once since Tressel left.

YSU is much like Notre Dame in that people remember them for what they were, not the mediocrity they are.

mmiller_34
January 17th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Either way we are going to have South Dakota State and South Dakota. I guarantee you that 90% of the US population wouldn't know the difference.

That is a belittling statement, and I don't exactly appreciate it. So, Thanks? I guess.

The difference that 90% of the United States doesn't recognize is the potential of the 4 Dakota schools could become. Adding USD to the mix will only create a larger buzz for the MVFC on the Upper Great Plains-- Something that is impossible to achieve in Ohio because of the B1G and the MAC. The Dakota schools are the primary schools in their states. There are also natural rivalries, and as I'm typing there was almost a fight in the UND-NDSU basketball game.

In summary, I guess I'm just annoyed by your attitude regarding the Dakota schools. Why does it matter that 90% of the population doesn't know the difference between SDSU and USD. As an SDSU fan, I'm offended--just as a Michigan fan would be offended and weirded out if someone said they didn't know the difference between MSU and UM. Also, if you are trying to make an argument claiming that no one cares about the Dakota schools. I guarantee that the amount of US population that is able to recognize Youngstown State is no larger than those that can recognize which ever Dakota school you are referring to.

On a lighter, meaningless, note; ALL of the Dakota schools are geographically closer to the Missouri River Valley than Youngstown State.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 17th, 2012, 08:27 PM
That is a belittling statement, and I don't exactly appreciate it. So, Thanks? I guess.

The difference that 90% of the United States doesn't recognize is the potential of the 4 Dakota schools could become. Adding USD to the mix will only create a larger buzz for the MVFC on the Upper Great Plains-- Something that is impossible to achieve in Ohio because of the B1G and the MAC. The Dakota schools are the primary schools in their states. There are also natural rivalries, and as I'm typing there was almost a fight in the UND-NDSU basketball game.

In summary, I guess I'm just annoyed by your attitude regarding the Dakota schools. Why does it matter that 90% of the population doesn't know the difference between SDSU and USD. As an SDSU fan, I'm offended--just as a Michigan fan would be offended and weirded out if someone said they didn't know the difference between MSU and UM. Also, if you are trying to make an argument claiming that no one cares about the Dakota schools. I guarantee that the amount of US population that is able to recognize Youngstown State is no larger than those that can recognize which ever Dakota school you are referring to.

On a lighter, meaningless, note; ALL of the Dakota schools are geographically closer to the Missouri River Valley than Youngstown State.

Youngstown doesn't even have much notoriety in Ohio, much less anywhere else.

Twentysix
January 18th, 2012, 08:43 AM

Oh no he di'int

mmiller_34
January 18th, 2012, 09:24 AM
South Dakota State 2012 Schedule & Predictions.

September 1st …….. @ Kansas (2-10)………………………………..L
September 8th ……..@ Southeastern Louisiana (3-8)…………...W
September 15th …...UC Davis (4-7)…………………………………..W………12,000
September 22nd…..@ Indiana State (6-5)…………………………..L
September 29th …..Missouri State (2-9)…………………………....W………13,000
October 13th…….....Western Illinois (2-9)………………………….W………11,000
October 20th…….....@ Northern Iowa (10-3)……………………..L
October 27th ……....Youngstown State (6-5) HOBO DAY..…….W……...15,000
November 3rd …… @ Southern Illinois (4-7)……………………...W
November 10th …. @ North Dakota State (14-1)………………..L
November 17th …. South Dakota (6-5)………………………………W……...17,000+

penguinpower
January 18th, 2012, 10:20 AM

I wasn't making an agrument that no one wants teh Dakota schools. 90% of communication is visual body language so please don't interpret the email incorrectly. I was only trying to state that before the Dakota's, Iowa was as far west as the conference went. Now it is basically in Big Sky country and expanding there. I think the dakota teams should be in the Big Sky or that Youngsotwn should go to the CAA. I think YSU should go to the CAA IMOP.

The Eastern teams aree more well known simply because of population distribution.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 18th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I wasn't making an agrument that no one wants teh Dakota schools. 90% of communication is visual body language so please don't interpret the email incorrectly. I was only trying to state that before the Dakota's, Iowa was as far west as the conference went. Now it is basically in Big Sky country and expanding there. I think the dakota teams should be in the Big Sky or that Youngsotwn should go to the CAA. I think YSU should go to the CAA IMOP.

The Eastern teams aree more well known simply because of population distribution.

It's actually the opposite, NDSU/SDSU/USD don't have to contend with Akron, Toledo, Directional Michigans, Ohio for recognition. The more East you go the smaller your fanbases are outside of FBS. Like I said, Youngstown doesn't even have juice in Ohio, much less regionally.

penguinpower
January 18th, 2012, 10:41 AM
It's actually the opposite, NDSU/SDSU/USD don't have to contend with Akron, Toledo, Directional Michigans, Ohio for recognition. The more East you go the smaller your fanbases are outside of FBS. Like I said, Youngstown doesn't even have juice in Ohio, much less regionally.

I disagree. Where are you getting your information. Youngsotwn has juice in football only. That IS the only sport in Youngstown.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 18th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I disagree. Where are you getting your information. Youngsotwn has juice in football only. That IS the only sport in Youngstown.

In Youngstown, but I live in Columbus, Youngstown is only "That place Tressel came from". You couldn't find anyone who knows the name of the coach, any player or anything 100 miles outside of Youngstown.

There are no OSU's no MAC schools or anything in Dakota country or west. There isn't as much competition.

ST_Lawson
January 18th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Yeah, yeah...

Here's another one:
Aaron Stecker - RB was backing up Ron Dayne at Wisconsin so he transferred to Western. Set all kinds of school and conference records, played 10 years in the NFL.

But yea, seems like the majority of FBS->FCS transfers don't really pan out to much of anything.

Dgreenwell3
January 18th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Here's another one:
Aaron Stecker - RB was backing up Ron Dayne at Wisconsin so he transferred to Western. Set all kinds of school and conference records, played 10 years in the NFL.

But yea, seems like the majority of FBS->FCS transfers don't really pan out to much of anything.

Indiana state has been pretty lucky with them recently... Fouch and Spencer have turned out to be studs, what you need to find is guys stuck in logjams...

mmiller_34
January 18th, 2012, 12:47 PM
90% of communication is visual body language so please don't interpret the email incorrectly.

How else am I suppose to interpret this:

"90% of the United States wouldn't know the difference between your schools"

Also, if you were trying to say that the Dakota Schools are in Big Sky territory. In what universe does the above comment mean that NDSU/SDSU/USD should be in the Big Sky?

Professor Chaos
January 18th, 2012, 12:56 PM

The Dakota schools are not in Big Sky territory. NDSU is 750 miles from the closest Big Sky school (Montana St). We're closer than that to 6 of the 10 MVFC schools and two of those (MSU and InSU) are only a few miles over that.

This is one of the reasons why I'm glad in the long run that the Big Sky turned down NDSU and SDSU and we were able to get into the Summit/MVFC instead.

Jacked_Rabbit
January 18th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I'll make this easier on everyone.... This Penguin would simply prefer not to have any Dakota schools in the MVFC because we make it much more difficult for them to be successful. Who really cares about the extra 20-30 minutes of flight time?

I know I'm oversimplifying, but this pretty much sums it up.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 18th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I'll make this easier on everyone.... This Penguin would simply prefer not to have any Dakota schools in the MVFC because we make it much more difficult for them to be successful. Who really cares about the extra 20-30 minutes of flight time?

I know I'm oversimplifying, but this pretty much sums it up.

In terms of the MVFC, they weren't terribly successful before the Dakota schools got there. After the vest and all his players left (as well as all the rules fudging), they ended up pretty average.

BearsCountry
January 18th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Dakotas in Big Sky country? All of them are basically near the Iowa/Nebraska/Minnesota borders. If they were out in Rapid City then yes I would say they are in Big Sky Country for sure. I would be all for YSU leaving, gets us back to 9 and a balanced round robin schedule again.

MplsBison
January 18th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Dakotas in Big Sky country? All of them are basically near the Iowa/Nebraska/Minnesota borders. If they were out in Rapid City then yes I would say they are in Big Sky Country for sure. I would be all for YSU leaving, gets us back to 9 and a balanced round robin schedule again.

Or let's add Eastern Ill to the MVFC and the Summit and create MVC and Summit divisions.

penguinpower
January 18th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Or let's add Eastern Ill to the MVFC and the Summit and create MVC and Summit divisions.

That is probably the best idea....make two divisions like the CAA had at one point.

penguinpower
January 18th, 2012, 03:10 PM
In terms of the MVFC, they weren't terribly successful before the Dakota schools got there. After the vest and all his players left (as well as all the rules fudging), they ended up pretty average.

Now the BS starts

Twentysix
January 18th, 2012, 03:32 PM

Idk about juice, but NDSU has ice cream that is sold in Minnesota and North Dakota... Bison Crunch.

:D

http://www.cassclay.com/images/products_ice_bisoncrunch.jpg

penguinpower
January 18th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Idk about juice, but NDSU has ice cream that is sold in Minnesota and North Dakota... Bison Crunch.

LOL!

NoDak 4 Ever
January 18th, 2012, 04:11 PM

Yeah, but SDSU has it's own Dairy Barn.

mmiller_34
January 18th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Yeah, but SDSU has it's own Dairy Barn.

Its pretty legit too!

http://www.sdsufoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Dairy-Bar.jpg

NoDak 4 Ever
January 18th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Its pretty legit too!

http://www.sdsufoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Dairy-Bar.jpg

OK. some of that has to be new. I took a year at SDSU and lived in Berg Hall. Is that the place on Medary? It certainly wasn't that nice when I was there.

mmiller_34
January 18th, 2012, 04:53 PM
OK. some of that has to be new. I took a year at SDSU and lived in Berg Hall. Is that the place on Medary? It certainly wasn't that nice when I was there.

They built a brand new extension onto the old Dairy Microbiology building. This was part of it.

Sycamore51
January 19th, 2012, 08:10 AM
The only way you add EIU is if you bring them full fold into the MVC, and that will never happen. The rest of their sports are bunk. I'd like to add Murray across the board however, maybe see YSU go east bring in NDU football only and Murray across the board.

BisonHype!
January 19th, 2012, 09:30 AM

MMMMMMMM.....ICE CREAM!!!!xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

mmiller_34
January 19th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Honestly, I'd like to see 12 teams. Problem with 12 teams (I need someone with more experience and background in the rules and regulations of FCS football to confirm) is I don't think they allow you to have a conference championship game AND participate in the postseason playoff.

East

Youngstown State
Indiana State
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Western Illinois

West

Northern Iowa
Missouri State
North Dakota State
North Dakota
South Dakota State
South Dakota

Championship game played at Chicago and Minneapolis, rotate each year?

Anywho, thats my fantasy.

BisonHype!
January 19th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Honestly, I'd like to see 12 teams. Problem with 12 teams (I need someone with more experience and background in the rules and regulations of FCS football to confirm) is I don't think they allow you to have a conference championship game AND participate in the postseason playoff.

East

Youngstown State
Indiana State
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Western Illinois

West

Northern Iowa
Missouri State
North Dakota State
North Dakota
South Dakota State
South Dakota

North Dakota is in the Big Sky.... Plus I would like to see Northern Iowa and North Dakota State Separated so there is the possibility to play for the Championship. I know they are in the West, but that sucks having to kill one anothers chances to face one another being it seems to be an emerging rivalry. Other than that it makes sense... minus UND, if it happened that would be cool.

MTfan4life
January 19th, 2012, 10:01 AM

East

Youngstown State
Indiana State
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Western Illinois

West

Northern Iowa
Missouri State
North Dakota State
North Dakota
South Dakota State
South Dakota

That would be a sweet lineup. Also would bring the Sky back down to 12 allowing a setup like that as well. That'd be sweet to have conference championships in FCS, but I don't think it's going to be possible to do that and the playoffs. It's a decent fantasy to have. Also, in that scenario it's no use splitting up Northern Iowa and NDSU. Sure they were dominant this season, but it's not like that would happen every single year. Just two seasons ago, SDSU and Southern Illinois were the two top teams.

Dgreenwell3
January 19th, 2012, 10:03 AM

East

Youngstown State
Indiana State
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Western Illinois

West

Northern Iowa
Missouri State
North Dakota State
North Dakota
South Dakota State
South Dakota

I don't think those sides even out talent wise...

mmiller_34
January 19th, 2012, 10:05 AM
North Dakota is in the Big Sky....

.... and Eastern Illinois is in the Ohio Valley.....

What's your point? In fantasies, anything goes.

I do agree with separating Northern Iowa and North Dakota State though. Maybe switch Western and UNI.

Professor Chaos
January 19th, 2012, 10:11 AM

East

Youngstown State
Indiana State
Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Western Illinois

West

Northern Iowa
Missouri State
North Dakota State
North Dakota
South Dakota State
South Dakota

Not bad, although in my fantasy Marissa Miller and Kate Upton are co-MVFC commissioners.... and they're at every Bison home game..... hosted personally by myself..... I'll just end it there.

clenz
January 19th, 2012, 10:20 AM
FCS can't play championship games for conferences....which is why there isn't any "super conferences"

clenz
January 19th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Now the BS starts

Chcek http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?104218-2012-MVFC-Discussion&p=1763998&viewfull=1#post1763998 for proof that YSU has been nothing except average in the MVFC....

RabidRabbit
January 19th, 2012, 11:08 AM
The only way you add EIU is if you bring them full fold into the MVC, and that will never happen. The rest of their sports are bunk. I'd like to add Murray across the board however, maybe see YSU go east bring in NDU football only and Murray across the board.

Actually, a more likely scenerio is for EIU to join the Summit. EIU is already in the Summit for at least 3 sports. (Swim/Dive(M&W)), men's soccer. With the impending loss of SUU & ORU in baseball, Summit needs to add a midwest team or two. Then split the MVFC into a MVC/Summit split.
Summit MoValley

EIU YSU
WIU In St
USD Il St
SDSU SIU
NDSU Mo St
UND UNI

With a 6/5/1 split in the conference, it may get renamed the Summit, ala the A-10 to CAA rename a couple of years ago.

But this is all predicated upon getting UND and EIU to the Summit, which may take a while. And would have Lakes rolling in a pre-mature grave. xsmiley_wix

DJKyR0
January 19th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Not bad, although in my fantasy Marissa Miller and Kate Upton are co-MVFC commissioners.... and they're at every Bison home game..... hosted personally by myself..... I'll just end it there.

Also, any and all disputes, disagreements or otherwise conflicts are to be mediated via mud-wrestling match by the conference commissioners.

clenz
January 19th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Actually, a more likely scenerio is for EIU to join the Summit. EIU is already in the Summit for at least 3 sports. (Swim/Dive(M&W)), men's soccer. With the impending loss of SUU & ORU in baseball, Summit needs to add a midwest team or two. Then split the MVFC into a MVC/Summit split.
Summit MoValley

EIU YSU
WIU In St
USD Il St
SDSU SIU
NDSU Mo St
UND UNI

With a 6/5/1 split in the conference, it may get renamed the Summit, ala the A-10 to CAA rename a couple of years ago.

But this is all predicated upon getting UND and EIU to the Summit, which may take a while. And would have Lakes rolling in a pre-mature grave. xsmiley_wix
Unless the Summit League is willing to take over complete control of the league (which I doubt) the name won't change.

MplsBison
January 19th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I'm sure Douple would love to have his own, separate football conference - but it ain't gonna happen with 5 teams. UND is in the Big Sky for the long haul, I'm afraid.

Still, YSU leaving and then adding EIU makes too much sense. The Summit division being the Dakota schools plus East and West Illinois. The MVC division being No Iowa, ILL St, IN St, SIU and MO St.

FCS does not allow teams that play post-season games to be eligible for the playoffs. So no championship game.

penguinpower
January 19th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I'm sure Douple would love to have his own, separate football conference - but it ain't gonna happen with 5 teams. UND is in the Big Sky for the long haul, I'm afraid.

Still, YSU leaving and then adding EIU makes too much sense. The Summit division being the Dakota schools plus East and West Illinois. The MVC division being No Iowa, ILL St, IN St, SIU and MO St.

FCS does not allow teams that play post-season games to be eligible for the playoffs. So no championship game.

The Missouri Valley Football Conference is a stupid name and it was changed by a stupid person that wanted the Gateway (which is a very good name) to be affililiated with basketball. There is no other good reason that I can think of reason.

Dgreenwell3
January 19th, 2012, 04:21 PM
The Missouri Valley Football Conference is a stupid name and it was changed by a stupid person that wanted the Gateway (which is a very good name) to be affililiated with basketball. There is no other good reason that I can think of reason.

Uhhh there's alot of MVC members in there...doesn't hurt that they share offices. Dont like it? Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

clenz
January 19th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Uhhh there's alot of MVC members in there...doesn't hurt that they share offices. Dont like it? Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
MVFC is separate from the MVC, but almost everyone involved in the MVFC is involved in the MVC....

Hell, Patty V is second in charge of the MVC. The name change made sense (although I do like Gateway)

Couple that with the fact that up until the Dakota schools WIU and YSU were the only non-MVC schools in the conference and the name made complete sense...and still does.

clenz
January 19th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Not only that, if you ****ing YSU fans are so ****ing butt-hurt about MVFC fans not liking having you int he conference (for some pretty good reasons) man up and leave.

Outside of 2 or 3 years you have been mediocre and done nothing for the conference other than having a "name"...

Thundar
January 19th, 2012, 04:52 PM
MVFC is separate from the MVC, but almost everyone involved in the MVFC is involved in the MVC....

Hell, Patty V is second in charge of the MVC. The name change made sense (although I do like Gateway)

Couple that with the fact that up until the Dakota schools WIU and YSU were the only non-MVC schools in the conference and the name made complete sense...and still does.

And we actually have the Missouri Valley run thru ND and SD.....:p

clenz
January 19th, 2012, 04:55 PM
And we actually have the Missouri Valley run thru ND and SD.....:p

Touche....prett much all of Iowa's western boarder is formed by the Missouri and Illinois is formed on the west by the Mississippi and Missouri.....

Nowhere even close to Ohio though...

Twentysix
January 19th, 2012, 05:03 PM
So much hate.

clenz
January 19th, 2012, 05:21 PM
So much hate.

YSU in the MVFC makes as much sense as Boise State in the Big East....except Boise is taking some of their old conference mates with them.

BearsCountry
January 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Eastern Illinois to the Summit League really doesn't make much sense for them. Travel wise the OVC is not a bad setup. Their average roadtrip in all-sports in the OVC is 287. In OVC football its 303. For the Summit League, the average roadtrip is 453. In MVFC its 377. Eastern Illinois was already in the Summit (Mid-Con) and MVFC (Gateway) at one time. They like the OVC setup.

penguinpower
January 19th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Touche....prett much all of Iowa's western boarder is formed by the Missouri and Illinois is formed on the west by the Mississippi and Missouri.....

Nowhere even close to Ohio though...

Clearly see your hate for YSU.. what's your deal? Are you upset that UNI is an old-maid that can get it done? Your conference championships mean nothing when it comes to winning the NC. I am sick of your bashing Ahole

penguinpower
January 19th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Eastern Illinois to the Summit League really doesn't make much sense for them. Travel wise the OVC is not a bad setup. Their average roadtrip in all-sports in the OVC is 287. In OVC football its 303. For the Summit League, the average roadtrip is 453. In MVFC its 377. Eastern Illinois was already in the Summit (Mid-Con) and MVFC (Gateway) at one time. They like the OVC setup.

YSU fans like every MVFC team except UNI and probably SDSU. IMOP Missouri State fans are very good, but the best are NDSU fans, Illinois State fans, and Indiana State fans. (from experience attending games)

Jacked_Rabbit
January 20th, 2012, 09:21 AM
YSU fans like every MVFC team except UNI and probably SDSU. IMOP Missouri State fans are very good, but the best are NDSU fans, Illinois State fans, and Indiana State fans. (from experience attending games)

Based on your results against us, I can see why YSU doesn't like playing SDSU:

2007: 17-23
2008: 40-7 JACKS WIN!
2009: 17-3 JACKS WIN!
2010: 30-20 JACKS WIN!
2011: 35-28 JACKS WIN!

I'd gues things are probably even uglier for you against UNI.

344Johnson
January 20th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I see no major problems with our conference and wouldn't mind seeing things stand pat. People are getting all pissy about having Youngstown State in because "its a long drive" and because "they haven't accomplished anything in awhile." Guess what? Teams hit dry spells. Texas went something like 40 years without winning a National Title, Notre Dame hasn't won one for about 25 years. Youngstown averages pretty good attendence right? They will be back sooner or later. Just a matter of when.

darell1976
January 20th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I see no major problems with our conference and wouldn't mind seeing things stand pat. People are getting all pissy about having Youngstown State in because "its a long drive" and because "they haven't accomplished anything in awhile." Guess what? Teams hit dry spells. Texas went something like 40 years without winning a National Title, Notre Dame hasn't won one for about 25 years. Youngstown averages pretty good attendence right? They will be back sooner or later. Just a matter of when.

NDSU got their first title in 21 years.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 20th, 2012, 09:56 AM
NDSU got their first title in 21 years.

In 2001, UND got their first title in 107 years. Huzzah!

darell1976
January 20th, 2012, 09:58 AM
In 2001, UND got their first title in 107 years. Huzzah!

I thought this was a MVFC Discussion and UND isn't in the MVFC.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 20th, 2012, 10:01 AM

Well you're here so why not?

darell1976
January 20th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Well you're here so why not?

As being here I did mention a factoid about a MVFC member...you didn't.

Gil Dobie
January 20th, 2012, 11:16 AM

NDSU has been in the MVFC how many years?

darell1976
January 20th, 2012, 12:24 PM
NDSU has been in the MVFC how many years?

since 2008 Gil...Glad I can remind you of it.

344Johnson
January 20th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Getting the thread back on track, like Darrell said, NDSU, super football school, got its first title in 21 years this year. People are talking crap about YSU cause they haven't won since the 90's? I don't get the hate getting thrown at them.

People are mad because they are proud of prior accomplishments? (NDSU fans, we do that too)
People are mad because its a long trip to Youngstown? (Fargo isn't exactly a hop, skip, and a jump away either)
People are saying they haven't done crap in the Valley in awhile? (by the time we ditched D-II we hadn't done much in awhile either).
People are upset because they don't play in the Valley/Summit in other sports? (Who cares, this is football, not basketball)

frozennorth
January 20th, 2012, 04:36 PM
you're walking, talking flame bait

NoDak 4 Ever
January 20th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Getting the thread back on track, like Darrell said, NDSU, super football school, got its first title in 21 years this year. People are talking crap about YSU cause they haven't won since the 90's? I don't get the hate getting thrown at them.

People are mad because they are proud of prior accomplishments? (NDSU fans, we do that too)
People are mad because its a long trip to Youngstown? (Fargo isn't exactly a hop, skip, and a jump away either)
People are saying they haven't done crap in the Valley in awhile? (by the time we ditched D-II we hadn't done much in awhile either).
People are upset because they don't play in the Valley/Summit in other sports? (Who cares, this is football, not basketball)

Well their success had a lot to do with a cheater who went on to be exposed as a cheater again and will probably never coach again. So there is that.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 20th, 2012, 05:47 PM

darell.....what kind of response do you expect to get when you post a comment like you did?......xeyebrowx

penguinpower
January 20th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Well their success had a lot to do with a cheater who went on to be exposed as a cheater again and will probably never coach again. So there is that.

You don't know the whole story..............So keep believing Spin Center which is basically a liberal news media puppet. There was a lot more to this than you know.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 20th, 2012, 06:21 PM
You don't know the whole story..............So keep believing Spin Center which is basically a liberal news media puppet. There was a lot more to this than you know.

Seeing as how I live 5 minutes from his house, I may know a bit.

penguinpower
January 20th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Seeing as how I live 5 minutes from his house, I may know a bit.

Seeing as I personally know him and his close friends I would think I know a little bit more. Keep watching ESPN and remain ignorant. He is a stand up guy and he was protecting the safety of his kids, but I am sure that you know that based on your reply.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Seeing as I personally know him and his close friends I would think I know a little bit more. Keep watching ESPN and remain ignorant. He is a stand up guy and he was protecting the safety of his kids, but I am sure that you know that based on your reply.

Will Tressel coach again or does he bring along too much baggage?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 20th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Maybe if Baldwin-Wallace is desperate.

MSUDuo
January 20th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Not a chance in hell that it would happen but I'd take him in a second at Missouri State

frozennorth
January 20th, 2012, 10:21 PM

INTARWEB HOTSHOT

NoDak 4 Ever
January 20th, 2012, 10:36 PM
INTARWEB HOTSHOT

Boring. Like Paterno, he was protecting the program. He had a winner and he didn't want to tip the apple cart. All the time writing books about "winning the right way". Ray Isaac admitted to what he did, his need to stick with Terelle Pryor cost him his 100 win milestone, he can't coach for at least 4 more years. Yeah, stand up guy.

penguinpower
January 21st, 2012, 05:26 AM

Watch the Colts.

TheBisonState
January 21st, 2012, 10:37 AM

Why do you do this darrell? You must stay up 24X7 hitting refresh to look for message board posts about NDSU. Please add meaningful comments next time as it makes reading posts much more enjoyable.

MplsBison
January 21st, 2012, 10:44 AM

The core of the MVFC is Western ILL, Soutern ILL, ILL St and IND St.

You're telling me that Eastern ILL wants no part of that? They'd much rather be in a Tennessee-centric conference? Come on...

They'd have a chance to form a fantastic football rivalry with the ILL schools and IND St is only 70 miles from Charleston. Plus an all-sports rivalry with Western would be another fantastic opportunity to generate interest.

No brainer.

clenz
January 21st, 2012, 10:47 AM
Clearly see your hate for YSU.. what's your deal? Are you upset that UNI is an old-maid that can get it done? Your conference championships mean nothing when it comes to winning the NC. I am sick of your bashing Ahole

What the **** are you talking about?

YSU has been mediocre since being in the MVFC...especially since Cheater McTressle left. You take me giving facts and stats to back up my side as "Bashing" You a ****ing sally wanker.

YSU doesn't belong in the MVFC...there is zero reason for them to be there other than the Gateway was desperate for teams at that time. It's clear YSU wants nothing to do with the MVFC, and with the conference expanding west, it's clear the rest of the conference wants nothing to do with YSU.

Tressle was just "protecting" his players? AYFKM? By that do you mean covering up the NCAA violations so they don't get hit with NCAA sanctions...I guess...yeah you're right then.

darell1976
January 21st, 2012, 12:22 PM
What the **** are you talking about?

YSU has been mediocre since being in the MVFC...especially since Cheater McTressle left. You take me giving facts and stats to back up my side as "Bashing" You a ****ing sally wanker.

YSU doesn't belong in the MVFC...there is zero reason for them to be there other than the Gateway was desperate for teams at that time. It's clear YSU wants nothing to do with the MVFC, and with the conference expanding west, it's clear the rest of the conference wants nothing to do with YSU.

Tressle was just "protecting" his players? AYFKM? By that do you mean covering up the NCAA violations so they don't get hit with NCAA sanctions...I guess...yeah you're right then.

If YSU found a new conference I wonder if they (MVFC) would try to work a deal (with the BSC) to allow UND to join, since UND isn't popular among some fans of western schools...of course UND's other sports would go to the Summit and I don't know if the higher ups want to do that even though SUU just axed baseball (BSC doesn't sponsor it).

F350KINGRANCH
January 21st, 2012, 12:46 PM
no

NoDak 4 Ever
January 21st, 2012, 01:11 PM
no

Actually yes. The more rivalry games you can get, the better for a conference. I have been to 2 conference games not at the Fargodome. They were both very sparsely attended. That and the natural travel partners for half the conference makes it almost a slam dunk. As a matter of facet, if UND had gotten their poop together with the nickname, they would already probably be in the MVFC with USD.

darell1976
January 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM
Actually yes. The more rivalry games you can get, the better for a conference. I have been to 2 conference games not at the Fargodome. They were both very sparsely attended. That and the natural travel partners for half the conference makes it almost a slam dunk. As a matter of facet, if UND had gotten their poop together with the nickname, they would already probably be in the MVFC with USD.

I don't think UND would have gotten in even if the nickname was retired in 2010. I wonder if USD would have been in the MVFC if they weren't already in the Summit League. I think that is the ONLY reason why the SDBOR choose the MVFC over the Big Sky. USD would have had to pay a big buyout from the SL to join the BSC.

Professor Chaos
January 21st, 2012, 01:24 PM
I don't think UND would have gotten in even if the nickname was retired in 2010. I wonder if USD would have been in the MVFC if they weren't already in the Summit League. I think that is the ONLY reason why the SDBOR choose the MVFC over the Big Sky. USD would have had to pay a big buyout from the SL to join the BSC.
It's in USD's best interests to be in the Summit IMO. They're already well within the conference footprint and they have multiple natural and geographic rivals. Most UND fans are staunch in their belief that they're better off in the Big Sky. I don't agree but to each their own, I don't have a dog in that fight. If the USD situation showed us anything it's that the Summit and the MVFC are in bed with each other so had UND been in the Summit already (which they would've certainly been invited had the nickname issue ever been put to bed) they would've had the collective clout of the Summit league in their clubhouse when it came to getting into the MVFC if the Big Sky would've still came calling.

FWIW, I don't think the MVFC would've ever added USD had they not been in the Summit already and had the support of fellow Summit members in the MVFC looking out for their own interests. The response by the MVFC that they only were looking to add one team instead of both the UxDs never held water IMO.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 21st, 2012, 01:30 PM

Don't even get me started with the Summit League. I think this whole dynamic of disparate conferences with Football/No Football is about the dumbest thing imaginable. You can say DII and DIII may be "smaller time" but at least they understand organization and can read a map.

UNO dropped football so they could go up to DI, get into the Summit League, and start hockey. Trev Alberts was a terrible football analyst and an even worse AD. The fact that NDSU couldn't get into the MVFC but not the MVC is about as dumb as having YSU in the MVFC and the Dakota Schools not in the BSC.

I don't know what the ultimate solution would be but it seems that keeping the Dakota Schools together in a conference just makes sense.

darell1976
January 21st, 2012, 01:34 PM
It's in USD's best interests to be in the Summit IMO. They're already well within the conference footprint and they have multiple natural and geographic rivals. Most UND fans are staunch in their belief that they're better off in the Big Sky. I don't agree but to each their own, I don't have a dog in that fight. If the USD situation showed us anything it's that the Summit and the MVFC are in bed with each other so had UND been in the Summit already (which they would've certainly been invited had the nickname issue ever been put to bed) they would've had the collective clout of the Summit league in their clubhouse when it came to getting into the MVFC if the Big Sky would've still came calling.

FWIW, I don't think the MVFC would've ever added USD had they not been in the Summit already and had the support of fellow Summit members in the MVFC looking out for their own interests. The response by the MVFC that they only were looking to add one team instead of both the UxDs never held water IMO.

I agree with your post. I actually think the Summit/MVFC would be perfect for UND however with MVFC snubbing UND and the SL being pricks on the whole nickname issue I can see why most want to stay in the Big Sky. The SL said we won't take you until the nickname issue is put to bed one way or another (even though it would have been over on Nov 30, 2010--the NCAA deadline) but Douple pushed for the name to be over sooner. And the MVFC coming out saying we want USD and only USD was a slam in the face to UND. Maybe things will change the next few years and when schools receive the bill for traveling.

darell1976
January 21st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Don't even get me started with the Summit League. I think this whole dynamic of disparate conferences with Football/No Football is about the dumbest thing imaginable. You can say DII and DIII may be "smaller time" but at least they understand organization and can read a map.

UNO dropped football so they could go up to DI, get into the Summit League, and start hockey. Trev Alberts was a terrible football analyst and an even worse AD. The fact that NDSU couldn't get into the MVFC but not the MVC is about as dumb as having YSU in the MVFC and the Dakota Schools not in the BSC.

I don't know what the ultimate solution would be but it seems that keeping the Dakota Schools together in a conference just makes sense.

UNO was in DI hockey when they were in DII. The program has had hockey since 1997 and was a full member of the CCHA in 1999-2000. Trev Alberts killed their football team to better Nebraska-Lincoln.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 21st, 2012, 02:12 PM
UNO was in DI hockey when they were in DII. The program has had hockey since 1997 and was a full member of the CCHA in 1999-2000. Trev Alberts killed their football team to better Nebraska-Lincoln.

My mistake. Although it does illustrate the nature of DI hockey, not terribly important.

TheBisonState
January 21st, 2012, 02:55 PM
I agree with your post. I actually think the Summit/MVFC would be perfect for UND however with MVFC snubbing UND and the SL being pricks on the whole nickname issue I can see why most want to stay in the Big Sky. The SL said we won't take you until the nickname issue is put to bed one way or another (even though it would have been over on Nov 30, 2010--the NCAA deadline) but Douple pushed for the name to be over sooner. And the MVFC coming out saying we want USD and only USD was a slam in the face to UND. Maybe things will change the next few years and when schools receive the bill for traveling.

Why do you call out the Summit league about being pricks on the nickname issue when you know very well that the Big Sky wanted nothing to do with UND either until the nickname was settled? The Big Sky commissioner has stated so several different times.

Get over the fact that the Summit did not invite you to their league and remember that it is your own university that is at fault because of the many years that it has taken to resolve the nickname issue.

darell1976
January 21st, 2012, 03:05 PM
Why do you call out the Summit league about being pricks on the nickname issue when you know very well that the Big Sky wanted nothing to do with UND either until the nickname was settled? The Big Sky commissioner has stated so several different times.

Get over the fact that the Summit did not invite you to their league and remember that it is your own university that is at fault because of the many years that it has taken to resolve the nickname issue.

Tom Douple was a prick in the whole matter by not allowing UND in because of the nickname issue that WAS resolved by the NCAA settlement of 2007. UND had til Nov. 30th 2010 to get approval or the name was gone, so IMO and others the nickname issue WAS resolved. But then he went further and told SL members they shouldn't schedule UND based on their name. Again a fight that WAS resolved with the NCAA. UND would have been in the SL if not for the BSC offerring UND football a home. So you are wrong on UND not being invited to the SL as they already had a visit scheduled on a Monday but the BSC told UND you will be full members on a Friday so instead of wasting the SL's time UND told the SL...no thanks your league does NOT provide a home for UND football. As for its the University's fault..I think other schools (FSU, CMU, Utah, W&M, Illinois) will state its the NCAA's fault on Indian nicknames. Or else this policy would have been introduced from the very beginning of the NCAA's existance not after 80 years of use.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 21st, 2012, 03:27 PM
Tom Douple was a prick in the whole matter by not allowing UND in because of the nickname issue that WAS resolved by the NCAA settlement of 2007. UND had til Nov. 30th 2010 to get approval or the name was gone, so IMO and others the nickname issue WAS resolved. But then he went further and told SL members they shouldn't schedule UND based on their name. Again a fight that WAS resolved with the NCAA. UND would have been in the SL if not for the BSC offerring UND football a home. So you are wrong on UND not being invited to the SL as they already had a visit scheduled on a Monday but the BSC told UND you will be full members on a Friday so instead of wasting the SL's time UND told the SL...no thanks your league does NOT provide a home for UND football. As for its the University's fault..I think other schools (FSU, CMU, Utah, W&M, Illinois) will state its the NCAA's fault on Indian nicknames. Or else this policy would have been introduced from the very beginning of the NCAA's existance not after 80 years of use.

Let's see those nickname petitions succeed and find out how loving the BSC will be.

darell1976
January 21st, 2012, 03:39 PM
Let's see those nickname petitions succeed and find out how loving the BSC will be.

I pray those petitions go away.xprayx

NoDak 4 Ever
January 21st, 2012, 03:43 PM

Either way works for me. I actually can't wait for you guys to go all Northern Colorado on the Big Sky.

darell1976
January 21st, 2012, 03:44 PM
Either way works for me. I actually can't wait for you guys to go all Northern Colorado on the Big Sky.

You mean go to the dance in basketball.xsmiley_wix

F350KINGRANCH
January 21st, 2012, 04:02 PM
go over to the big sky discussion that is youre home, go to youre home lassie ask timmy to help you get in the mvfc leave us alone, go home lassie it is about halfway down the first page.

DJKyR0
January 21st, 2012, 04:08 PM

The fact that the nickname was retired (and not even completely) over a year after the original settlement said it had to be should be an indication that it was anything but settled at the time of the Summit's courtship of UND. UND fans acting indignant over the skepticism of Douple regarding the nickname and the crapshoot that followed it in the last year is downright laughable - it's been a complete circus in the legislature and media for years now. How anyone can blame Douple for not wanting to bring that into the Summit is beyond me.

Personally I applaud his foresight for seeing the gong show the nickname debacle turned into. Maybe the retirement of Roebuck (arguably the second-biggest nickname supporter at UND behind Hakstol) will help put some of that to rest, but until those petitions get shot down it isn't truly over.

So all in all, saying the nickname was resolved isn't accurate - it wasn't. Is Douple still a prick for keeping a complete mess of an athletic department out of the Summit?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 21st, 2012, 04:08 PM
You mean go to the dance in basketball.xsmiley_wix

No, that would be called "Going all NDSU on the Summit League"

darell1976
January 21st, 2012, 04:13 PM
The fact that the nickname was retired (and not even completely) over a year after the original settlement said it had to be should be an indication that it was anything but settled at the time of the Summit's courtship of UND. UND fans acting indignant over the skepticism of Douple regarding the nickname and the crapshoot that followed it in the last year is downright laughable - it's been a complete circus in the legislature and media for years now. How anyone can blame Douple for not wanting to bring that into the Summit is beyond me.

Personally I applaud his foresight for seeing the gong show the nickname debacle turned into. Maybe the retirement of Roebuck (arguably the second-biggest nickname supporter at UND behind Hakstol) will help put some of that to rest, but until those petitions get shot down it isn't truly over.

So all in all, saying the nickname was resolved isn't accurate - it wasn't. Is Douple still a prick for keeping a complete mess of an athletic department out of the Summit?

It was until Bison alum Al Carlson came up with the idea that maybe if you have a state law the NCAA would change their minds. Now that the state law is gone you have these hockey only fans who believe changing the ND Constitution would allow UND to keep the name forever and taking their chances once again with the NCAA. If Al Carlson would have just minded his own business there would be no more fighting over the name. Everything was fine in 2010...2011 is where it all went to hell.

DJKyR0
January 21st, 2012, 04:16 PM
It was until Bison alum Al Carlson came up with the idea that maybe if you have a state law the NCAA would change their minds. Now that the state law is gone you have these hockey only fans who believe changing the ND Constitution would allow UND to keep the name forever and taking their chances once again with the NCAA. If Al Carlson would have just minded his own business there would be no more fighting over the name. Everything was fine in 2010...2011 is where it all went to hell.

Right. So like I said, "not resolved." And we've discussed Carlson's relationship with NDSU in the past, quit making him out to be on "our side." It's getting childish.

darell1976
January 21st, 2012, 04:27 PM
Right. So like I said, "not resolved." And we've discussed Carlson's relationship with NDSU in the past, quit making him out to be on "our side." It's getting childish.

But in the eyes of the NCAA it was resolved in 2010 with the deadline. No one could have predicted what Crazy Al would be cooking up in the next year. If it wasn't resolved UND would not have been taken off the H&A list (which we were when we joined the BSC and played Wisconsin in women's basketball). The NCAA would have kept UND on the list and told them that state laws and other things related to it doesn't matter in the eyes of the NCAA (which they told Crazy Al in Indianapolis).

NoDak 4 Ever
January 21st, 2012, 04:31 PM

I wasn't aware that Al Carlson could unilaterally make law in North Dakota. Boy! I've been gone a while, must have been some change in the Constitution. To think he singlehandedly managed to derail the whole thing, now that's some power!

DJKyR0
January 21st, 2012, 04:32 PM
But in the eyes of the NCAA it was resolved in 2010 with the deadline. No one could have predicted what Crazy Al would be cooking up in the next year. If it wasn't resolved UND would not have been taken off the H&A list (which we were when we joined the BSC and played Wisconsin in women's basketball). The NCAA would have kept UND on the list and told them that state laws and other things related to it doesn't matter in the eyes of the NCAA (which they told Crazy Al in Indianapolis).

But plenty of folks could have anticipated the frenzied support the nickname had in some circles and anticipated a last-ditch effort to have some success. The hockey crowd runs UND and Douple saw something like this coming. Like I said, I applaud him for keeping this *****show out of the Summit League.

darell1976
January 21st, 2012, 04:33 PM
I wasn't aware that Al Carlson could unilaterally make law in North Dakota. Boy! I've been gone a while, must have been some change in the Constitution. To think he singlehandedly managed to derail the whole thing, now that's some power!

The way he brainwashed the legislature to think the NCAA doesn't have any say in ND laws, but failed when he forgot to say UND is a member in the NCAA's organization and his law doesn't mean *****. The NCAA did tell him that later that year in Indy.

darell1976
January 21st, 2012, 04:34 PM
But plenty of folks could have anticipated the frenzied support the nickname had in some circles and anticipated a last-ditch effort to have some success. The hockey crowd runs UND and Douple saw something like this coming. Like I said, I applaud him for keeping this *****show out of the Summit League.

Which is sad for fans like me who like ALL UND sports not just hockey. Thats why I hope all this ***** goes away and UND can live on with a new nickname in 3 years.

frozennorth
January 21st, 2012, 04:35 PM

they were in the union all day collecting signatures, probably got at least a few hundred.

EDIT: given the choice, I would shut down the hockey program in a heartbeat.

darell1976
January 21st, 2012, 04:38 PM
they were in the union all day collecting signatures, probably got at least a few hundred.

Deadline is Feb. 7th to get 13,500...then you will see the ND AG and the SBoHE attorneys brainstorm a way to find it unconstitutional and make them feel like crap for getting people's hopes up. Thats why I won't sign it. The NCAA said we don't care about your laws, so until the NCAA says differently their word is law.

TheBisonState
January 21st, 2012, 06:00 PM

Please stop darrell and take a break from the keyboard. It will do you good.

clenz
January 22nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
HOLY ****....ALL OF YOU DUMB ****ING ASSHATS...SHUT THE **** UP ABOUT SOME STUPID ****ING BULL**** NO ONE OUTSIDE OF THE STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA GIVES A **** ABOUT.....

Professor Chaos
January 22nd, 2012, 11:53 AM
HOLY ****....ALL OF YOU DUMB ****ING ASSHATS...SHUT THE **** UP ABOUT SOME STUPID ****ING BULL**** NO ONE OUTSIDE OF THE STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA GIVES A **** ABOUT.....
U mad bro?

clenz
January 22nd, 2012, 11:55 AM
U mad bro?

I would like to be able to be involved in a thread that doesn't turn into a UND/NDSU dick measuring contest.....

NoDak 4 Ever
January 22nd, 2012, 12:00 PM
U mad bro?

He hates teams that have won National Championships. NDSU, YSU, and UND.

darell1976
January 22nd, 2012, 12:06 PM
I would like to be able to be involved in a thread that doesn't turn into a UND/NDSU dick measuring contest.....

Sorry clenz...I will refrain from the dick measuring contest.xlolx

Twentysix
January 22nd, 2012, 02:32 PM

He jelly.

HandoEX
January 22nd, 2012, 06:32 PM
I agree with clenz. It seems like half the threads on this board turn into a darrel1976 vs Bison fans thread. Just drop it guys, most of us don't care.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 22nd, 2012, 06:47 PM
I agree with clenz. It seems like half the threads on this board turn into a darrel1976 vs Bison fans thread. Just drop it guys, most of us don't care.

Because Clenz against penguinpower was so compelling.

clenz
January 22nd, 2012, 07:27 PM
Because Clenz against penguinpower was so compelling.

It was actually relevant to the MVFC....

frozennorth
January 22nd, 2012, 07:34 PM
i think most of us can agree that NDSU is the team to beat next year, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them run the table as long as injuries are within reason.

clenz
January 22nd, 2012, 07:39 PM
i think most of us can agree that NDSU is the team to beat next year, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them run the table as long as injuries are within reason.

I would....running the table in the MVFC rarely happens...It's only happened 9 times since 1985...

Wilson16
January 22nd, 2012, 07:59 PM
I would....running the table in the MVFC rarely happens...It's only happened 9 times since 1985...

I didn't realize once evey 3 years was rarely.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 22nd, 2012, 08:07 PM
I didn't realize once evey 3 years was rarely.

Lulz @ UNI math department.

mmiller_34
January 23rd, 2012, 08:32 AM
To steer the conversation forward. Just an update about South Dakota State's new stadium. About two weeks ago a survey came out for fans to put their input on potential amenities that the stadium would provide. Here is the link.

http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22EE328JJZL?KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=15000&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

NoDak 4 Ever
January 23rd, 2012, 08:44 AM
To steer the conversation forward. Just an update about South Dakota State's new stadium. About two weeks ago a survey came out for fans to put their input on potential amenities that the stadium would provide. Here is the link.

http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22EE328JJZL?KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=15000&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

When you say new stadium, you mean proposed new stadium still in the wish stages that may actually see the light of day when my toddler goes to college.

mmiller_34
January 23rd, 2012, 08:55 AM
When you say new stadium, you mean proposed new stadium still in the wish stages that may actually see the light of day when my toddler goes to college.

Correct. The proposed stadium is in the fundraising and design stage yet. Probably still 3-4 years from breaking ground. Does anyone know the details on Illinois State's proposed stadium?

ysubigred
January 23rd, 2012, 09:25 AM
Crown jewels of the MVFC? Please explain.

Since joining the MVFC YSU has gone:
97: 12-3 (3rd in conference, playoffs)
98: 6-5 (4th in conference)
99: 12-3 (2nd in conference, playoffs)
00: 9-3 (t-second in conference, playoffs - lost first round)
(all tressel years)
01: 8-3 (t-second in conference)
02: 7-4 (t-third in conference)
03: 5-7 (6th in conference)
04: 4-7 7(7th in conference)
05: 8-3 (t-first in conference, lost tie break and didn't make the playoffs)
06: 11-3 (first in conference, playoffs)
07: 7-4 (t-third in conference)
08: 4-8 (7th in conference)
09: 6-5 (t-5th in conference)
10: 3-8 (9th in conference, last place)
11: 6-5 (5th in conference)

Since Tressel left YSU is 69-57....Since "Tressels players" were gone YSU is 54-50. What about YSU makes them a "crown jewel"? Their average finish in conference? 5.5

They have only 2 conference titles, and only 1 outright....they've finished bottom half of conference just as much as top half. Heck, they've only been to the playoffs 4 times since joining the MVFC, only once since Tressel left.

YSU is much like Notre Dame in that people remember them for what they were, not the mediocrity they are.

xlolx Funny you mention all this since, YSU has more National Championships since they joined the Valley than Choke U (UNI). Why did you intentionally leave out the fact YSU won the NC the first year (97) in the conference xconfusedx

ysubigred
January 23rd, 2012, 09:38 AM
He hates teams that have won National Championships. NDSU, YSU, and UND.

Plus 1000 ^^^ I'd rep you again if I could for that one xbowx

LakesBison
January 23rd, 2012, 09:43 AM

I 1000% agree with clenz, this board would be so much better without darrel, he brings nothing to the table, he's a troll.

Dgreenwell3
January 23rd, 2012, 10:09 AM
I 1000% agree with clenz, this board would be so much better without darrel, he brings nothing to the table, he's a troll.

I think he was thinking of lakes

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 23rd, 2012, 10:39 AM
xlolx Funny you mention all this since, YSU has more National Championships since they joined the Valley than Choke U (UNI). Why did you intentionally leave out the fact YSU won the NC the first year (97) in the conference xconfusedx

clenz hates everyone in the Valley esp NDSU....don't worry about it....

YSU in Fargo again this fall, should be a good game. Little revenge factor for last year...xthumbsupx

mmiller_34
January 23rd, 2012, 10:55 AM
2011 South Dakota State Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG5gizZiYVA

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 23rd, 2012, 11:13 AM
Pretty cool highlight clips....not many NDSU hilights.....jk

Professor Chaos
January 23rd, 2012, 11:53 AM

I think he was thinking of lakes
He is lakes (alt)

Dgreenwell3
January 23rd, 2012, 12:27 PM
He is lakes (alt)

Not surprised I find myself pointing out the same issues in their either discussion points or psychological lack of understanding, blind hate seems to be a common issue of his, will look for that in the furyre