PDA

View Full Version : An FCS Championship That A Punter Could Love

Mr. C
January 9th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Here is a nice analysis of the NCAA Division I title game from Chuck Burton of College Sports Journal (www.college-sports-journal.com):

FRISCO, TX. — In a dozen years of watching NCAA Division I Championship Football games, I've seen a lot of matchups dominated by defensive linemen and incredible offensive talents.

I've even seen entire teams be dominated from start to finish.

Saturday was the first time, however, I've ever seen a Football Championship Subdivision title game dominated by a punter.

In a game that was supposed to be a matchup between the Bison's No. 1 defense and the Bearkat's No. 1 offense, it was North Dakota State punter Matt Voigtlander who stole the show in front of a vocal, sellout crowd in Frisco, Texas.

Here is the complete column:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/167-an-fcs-championship-that-a-punter-could-love

For those who missed it, here is the link to David Coulson's game story on the contest:

North Dakota State Makes The Plays for a 17-6 Championship Win Over SHSU

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/78-college-sports-journal/david-coulson/166-north-dakota-state-makes-the-plays-for-a-17-6-championship-win-over-sam-houston-state

Look for more analysis from David Coulson on the championship, a Kyle Roth behind-the-scenes look at championship week, the first CSJ All-American team and a look at the FCS players headed to the NFL combine later this week.

LakesBison
January 9th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Voit baby!!!

DJKyR0
January 9th, 2012, 03:48 AM
What an absolutely remarkable game from a player who couldn't deserve it more. I'm sure most on here know the story by now, but for those who don't, Voigtlander was our backup RB for his first three years on the field and was asked over the offseason to move to punter (which he did in high school) after last year's All-American John Prelvitz graduated. Obviously with a team that pivots on defense and the running game, field position is huge and Voigt has been a tremendous part of that as a first-year starter at his position who took one for the team. The fake might have been the play of the game and one the coaches were saving all season.

What an incredible performance from a truly selfless student-athlete. Wish he didn't have to go.

OrygunBison
January 9th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Not to take anything away from Travis Beck, but I thought MV should have been player of the game based on his impact throughout the entire game.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 9th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I was struck by the fact that Bohl repeated emphasized field position before and after the game, and how important that was. I also thought it funny that a lot of media folks in the post-game press conference mentioned Voigtlander in their articles, but didn't go the distance and cover every aspect of his game. The fake was important, but also that punt that was downed at the 1/2 yard line was equally as important.

Mr. C
January 9th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Not to take anything away from Travis Beck, but I thought MV should have been player of the game based on his impact throughout the entire game.
Absolutely. Two years in a row, the NCAA MVP for the game has been wrong. Last year, they gave it to Bo Levi Mitchell instead of WR Brandon Kaufman.