PDA

View Full Version : And the Payton goes to......

Lehigh Football Nation
January 6th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Any video? xlolx

Mr. C
January 6th, 2012, 08:12 PM
There was was live streaming video when yours truly was running the show. Have they quit doing that now?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 6th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I don't see any live video link anywhere.... what year is this, 2001? xconfusedx

Lehigh Lover
January 6th, 2012, 09:17 PM
How long is it gonna take until we know?

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2012, 09:22 PM
We'll know at 9:45 p.m. tonight...

Report on Twitter is that the announcement will come at 10:45 ET...

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Per Sean Shapiro, "Eastern Washington QB Bo Levi Mitchell has won the 25th Walter Payton Award."

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Release...

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/newstest.aspx?id=4463036

Final votes...

Walter Payton Award Voting.........1st....2nd....3rd....4th....5th.... Total

1. Bo Levi Mitchell, E. Washington.57.....28.....11......8......7.....453
2T. Chris Lum, Lehigh...............16.....13.....17.....12.....1 2.....219
2T. Shakir Bell, Indiana State......10.....20.....12.....18.....17.....219
4. Jonathan Grimes, Wm. & Mary.....10.....16......9.....18......8.....185
5. Aaron Mellette, Elon.............2......5.....17.....21.....21.... .144
6. Terrance West, Towson............5.....11.....11......5......8... ..120
7. Tim Flanders, Sam Houston St....10......7......5......6......7.....112
8. Kevin Decker, New Hampshire......5......4......9......9......9...... 95
9. Jordan Brown, Bryant.............2......8.....11......7......5.. ....94
10. Casey Therriault, Jackson State..3......7......8......7......5......86
11. Casey Brockman, Murray State.....3......5......7......5......7......73
12. Tirrell Rennie, Northern Iowa....3......3......2......1......4......39
13. DeNarius McGhee, Montana State...3......0......2......3......8......35
14. Eric Breitenstein, Wofford.......2......2......3......1......1......3 0
15. Brian Quick, Appalachian State...0......2......5......1......2......27
16. Andrew Pierce, Delaware..........1......0......1......1......3... ...13
17. Mike Brown, Liberty..............0......0......1......3......1 ......10
18. Brad Sorensen, Southern Utah.....0......0......0......3......2.......8
19T.Jamaine Cook, Youngstown State...0......1......0......0......2.......6
19T.Rodrick Rumble, Idaho State......0......0......0......2......2.......6
21. *Matt Denham, Eastern Kentucky...0......0......1......1......0.......5
22. *Tre Gray, Richmond.... .....0......0......0......0......1.......1
* - Write-in vote.

LehighU11
January 6th, 2012, 09:47 PM
That's disappointing for Lum. Truly believe he deserved the award. Bo couldn't even lead last year's champs into the playoffs.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 6th, 2012, 09:47 PM
4 National POYs in the last 7! Congrats BLM! (and suck it Lehigh_Fan! xlolx)

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 6th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Vote wasn't even close. Pretty shocking not that Mitchell won, figured he would, but by the margin he did. Spadola and Barket have a chance next year imo.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 6th, 2012, 09:49 PM
That's disappointing for Lum. Truly believe he deserved the award. Bo couldn't even lead last year's champs into the playoffs.

No, all he did was put up those numbers when almost his entire OL was injured. We didn't make the playoffs because we also lost key starters on defense.

LehighU11
January 6th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Vote wasn't even close. Pretty shocking not that Mitchell won, figured he would, but by the margin he did.

I thought that given Lum's playoff performance and the fact that The Sporting News (based in Philly) awards it, that Lum would have a decent chance. Guess a 6-5 record for the defending champs was neglected...

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 6th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I thought that given Lum's playoff performance and the fact that The Sporting News (based in Philly) awards it, that Lum would have a decent chance. Guess a 6-5 record for the defending champs was neglected...

The voting was done before the playoffs. I think Lum's production towards the end of the year hurt. I knew he was in trouble when Mitchell was voted first team on almost every AA list i've seen.

LehighU11
January 6th, 2012, 09:53 PM
No, all he did was put up those numbers when almost his entire OL was injured. We didn't make the playoffs because we also lost key starters on defense.

Hope you enjoy his trophy and that outstanding 6-5 record! At least we made the playoffs and quarterfinals, and should win the Lambert Cup for best in the East :D

Lehigh Lover
January 6th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Thought Bo Levi would win, but the landslide proved they awarded him for last year's national title run, a la a "Lifetime Achievement Award."

Screamin_Eagle174
January 6th, 2012, 09:55 PM

Last I checked it was an individual award, not a team award. Guess a 20-point-come-from-behind National Champion performance wasn't neglected...

dudeitsaid
January 6th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I know it sounds like excuses, but all of the Karma EWU had last year was reversed this year, and the team faced adversity like I don't know if I've ever seen. Truthfully, I am surprised they did as well as they did with the patchwork team they had midway through the season. One of several close games going another way, and they were in. But with the injuries they faced, don't know how deep they would've gone into the playoffs anyways. Finally, everyone knew our team had NO running game, and that we would be passing on almost every down. It should've been a DB's dream. Yet, BLM was able to mount an incredible passing attack in just about every game. I was truly impressed with BLM's performance this year. I wish the team as whole performed better, but, though I'm a homer, he really impressed me this year, and I'm glad to see him with the award. Congrats to EWU with some impressive recruiting, to have 4 POY's in the last 7 years.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 6th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Thought Bo Levi would win, but the landslide proved they awarded him for last year's national title run, a la a "Lifetime Achievement Award."

He put up better numbers than Lum, but obviously how the player has performed in the past plays into consideration.

LehighU11
January 6th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Last I checked it was an individual award, not a team award. Guess a 20-point-come-from-behind National Champion performance wasn't neglected...

So the 6-5 record was the result of an injury-plagued D yet he was solely responsible for that 20 point comeback from last season? BLM must be one hell of a D-Line and defensive back.

ngineer
January 6th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Mitchell earned the award. He showed what he could do last year in leading his team to the NC. He was surrounded by walking wounded this year, but still put up impressive numbers. It is an individual award and was voted on regular season performance. Just being in the final three is a great honor for Lum and nice recognition for Lehigh.

LehighU11
January 6th, 2012, 10:03 PM
He put up better numbers than Lum, but obviously how the player has performed in the past plays into consideration.

Lum was more efficient, had a better completion rate by 3 percentage points, and near identical TDs and INTs to BLM. Leading a team that suffered offensive injuries and suspensions to an 11-2 record and a quarterfinal appearance seems to be more worthy of the award than a QB who led the defending champs to a 6-5 record. Just my opinion, and likely the view of many Lehigh fans who feel Lum deserved it. Regardless, congrats to BLM.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 6th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Lum was more efficient, had a better completion rate by 3 percentage points, and near identical TDs and INTs to BLM. Leading a team that suffered offensive injuries and suspensions to an 11-2 record and a quarterfinal appearance seems to be more worthy of the award than a QB who led the defending champs to a 6-5 record. Just my opinion, and likely the view of many Lehigh fans who feel Lum deserved it. Regardless, congrats to BLM.

More TDs, less INTs, more yards, close completion %'s, and against better competition, and a NC... likely the view of all the voters who aren't fans of either team. Just sayin'. Lum is a great QB and should get a good look at the next level.

Bronco
January 6th, 2012, 10:34 PM
He's a great QB

He made Biden cry last year
Was great this year starting with Washington

I agree that it can be a body of work that receives some votes.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 6th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Record against playoff teams (regular season)

Bo Levi Mitchell: 2 games, 544 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs
Chris Lum: 1 game, 401 yards 6 TDs, 3 INTs

East Coast bias? What East Coast bias?

Mr. C
January 7th, 2012, 12:12 AM
And the voters show again that they don't WATCH any games other than their own. This is a big swing and a miss and probably one of the worst selections in the 25-year history of the award. Mitchell had a lot of key turnovers that cost EWU games and ultimately kept the Eagles out of the playoffs and didn't give them a chance to defend their title. Mitchell put up a lot of yardage and TD stats, but he isn't even the best QB in FCS. Passing efficiency isn't the only thing to base a decision on, but Mitchell was 18th in that category nationally. He would not have been on my ballot as one of the top five players in the country, if I were still voting on the award (like I did for most of the past decade). It is not TSN's fault, BTW. They just administer the voting (though they do have the responsibility in WHO votes). But the voters definitely got this one wrong. As someone who used to run the awards program, I hope the prestigious Payton Award hasn't become just a STAT-BASED honor.

Mr. C
January 7th, 2012, 12:16 AM
He's a great QB

He made Biden cry last year
Was great this year starting with Washington

I agree that it can be a body of work that receives some votes.

The Payton Award should have NOTHING to do with Bo Levi Mitchell winning a national championship last season. He may have won the MVP honor for that game, but in my mind Brandon Kaufman, Nicholas Edwards and some of the Eagle defenders were more important in winning that title last season. Mitchell is a very nice kid, personally, but he shouldn't have won and it shouldn't have been lopsided.

Another interesting note, I believe that Mitchell is the first FBS transfer to ever win the Payton.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 7th, 2012, 12:32 AM
And the voters show again that they don't WATCH any games other than their own. This is a big swing and a miss and probably one of the worst selections in the 25-year history of the award. Mitchell had a lot of key turnovers that cost EWU games and ultimately kept the Eagles out of the playoffs and didn't give them a chance to defend their title. Mitchell put up a lot of yardage and TD stats, but he isn't even the best QB in FCS. Passing efficiency isn't the only thing to base a decision on, but Mitchell was 18th in that category nationally. He would not have been on my ballot as one of the top five players in the country, if I were still voting on the award (like I did for close for most of the past decade). It is not TSN's fault, BTW. They just administer the voting (though they do have the responsibility in WHO votes). But the voters definitely got this one wrong. As someone who used to run the awards program, I hope the prestigious Payton Award hasn't become just a STAT-BASED honor.
http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/memes-haters-gonna-hate.gif

NDSUFREAK
January 7th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Ya I'm pretty surprised too...Thought Lum should have gotten it and he led Lehigh to a quarterfinal game none the less. Can't explain some real poor loses from EWU all on injuries...especially that first one.

Mr. C
January 7th, 2012, 02:29 AM
http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/memes-haters-gonna-hate.gif

No hatred at all. Just the truth. Sorry if homer fans can't handle the truth. Like I said in my post, I like Bo Levi Mitchell personally and enjoyed the time I spent interviewing him last year in Frisco. I also have plenty of friends in the EWU program. But he isn't close to being the best player. If you want to take on my arguments have at it, but there is nothing ungentlemanly about my opinion.

Tod
January 7th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Ya I'm pretty surprised too...Thought Lum should have gotten it and he led Lehigh to a quarterfinal game none the less. Can't explain some real poor loses from EWU all on injuries...especially that first one.

You mean losing by 3 to the Washington Huskies? Really?

If you're talking about the 2nd game, losing to USD, then I concur.

EWU lost to EWU, UM, MSU, PSU and USD

Three of those are pretty understandable. Two are not. So what, that happens. 6-5 is NOT a terrible year. They had a full D-I schedule and lost two of those games (UM being the other) by three points.

Of course, they did win one in overtime and one in triple overtime, so it could have been worse, too.

Tod
January 7th, 2012, 02:35 AM
No hatred at all. Just the truth. Sorry if homer fans can't handle the truth. Like I said in my post, I like Bo Levi Mitchell personally and enjoyed the time I spent interviewing him last year in Frisco. I also have plenty of friends in the EWU program. But he isn't close to being the best player. If you want to take on my arguments have at it, but there is nothing ungentlemanly about my opinion.

Opinion =/= truth. It's one thing to respectfully disagree, but you had to just go and say things like "he's not even in the top five" (this is a paraphrase, not even going to scroll up). Saying that you think Lum should have won it is just fine. Where you piss people off is when you diss BLM for no apparent reason other than desire to do so.

Mr. C
January 7th, 2012, 02:36 AM
You mean losing by 3 to the Washington Huskies? Really?

If you're talking about the 2nd game, losing to USD, then I concur.

EWU lost to EWU, UM, MSU, PSU and USD

Three of those are pretty understandable. Two are not. So what, that happens. 6-5 is NOT a terrible year. They had a full D-I schedule and lost two of those games (UM being the other) by three points.

Of course, they did win one in overtime and one in triple overtime, so it could have been worse, too.

Of course, Tod, you have to remember that Mitchell threw picks that decided the losses to Washington and Montana. Clutch play at the end of games has to count for something. He made those throws in 2010 and didn't in 20011.

Tod
January 7th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Of course, Tod, you have to remember that Mitchell threw picks that decided the losses to Washington and Montana. Clutch play at the end of games has to count for something. He made those throws in 2010 and didn't in 20011.

I didn't see the game against UDub, but I was at the Montana game and let me tell you, that was a called play that should have worked but for a brilliant defensive play. We were all rather shocked by it. Pleasantly shocked, of course. Clutch plays do count, but not every INT is the "fault" of the QB.

Even so, you're entitled to your opinion. You go overboard and are disrespectful by claiming this is the worst pick in the 25 years of the award, IMO.

RichH2
January 7th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Seems award has become a Stats over actual performance award. Given perceived status of PL did not give Chris much of a shot . nevertheless, what is done is done. Congratulations to Mr. Mitchell. I will always remember his performance in the UD game. I have no doubt that is what won him the award this year

Mr. C
January 7th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Opinion =/= truth. It's one thing to respectfully disagree, but you had to just go and say things like "he's not even in the top five" (this is a paraphrase, not even going to scroll up). Saying that you think Lum should have won it is just fine. Where you piss people off is when you diss BLM for no apparent reason other than desire to do so.
What is with this supposed disrespect stuff, Tod? I have said repeatedly I think he is a nice kid, from having interviewed him a couple of times.

I didn't say Lum should have won (even though he would have been on my top-five ballot and would have been a better pick than Mitchell). The best player I saw this year was Terrance West of Towson, who probably didn't finish stronger in his Payton run because he was a freshman (that shouldn't have a bearing). I wasn't dissing Mitchell, just saying he is NOT the best QB in FCS. I'm not worried about people from the Big Sky being ticked about my opinion. Obviously, the Big Sky and the CAA probably do the best job of getting their voting blocks to vote for their guys.

I have a hard time seeing someone who led his team to a non-playoff-season with a 6-5 record and who finished 18th in passing efficiency picked as the top player in FCS. You can't get away from two facts. One is that Mitchell received a lot of exposure because his team won the national championship LAST YEAR and two, his passing yardage total. Again, it appears that the voters didn't do their homework and for the second year in a row decided to make this a stat-based award.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 7th, 2012, 10:19 AM
My thoughts.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/01/lum-finishes-second-in-payton-voting.html

molly
January 7th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I think it's interesting that 4 of the top 5 vote-getters played for teams that didn't make the playoffs. That seems to indicate that the voting was based more on stats as well.

Bogus Megapardus
January 7th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Lum shoulda got some "Gunslinger" tattoos and such. That seems to make a difference these days.

Mr. C
January 7th, 2012, 11:57 AM
My thoughts.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/01/lum-finishes-second-in-payton-voting.html

Good arguments, LFN. Nice piece.

dudeitsaid
January 7th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Oh well, it seems every victory, award, etc. has it share of detractors. He won, congrats to him. Obviously many voters felt someone else should've won, but the majority picked him. Stat based, body of work based, or whatever else, he won the award. Every nominee had people saying why their accomplishments were or were not worthy of the award. I guess even the awards ultimately come down to opinion. But the opinion of most is that he deserved the award. As a homer, I just find it cool that EWU brought home another award.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 7th, 2012, 07:13 PM

This.

Coulson's ignorance and pretentious nature knows no bounds.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 7th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Lum shoulda got some "Gunslinger" tattoos and such. That seems to make a difference these days.

Yep, that must be it.

Cleets
January 7th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I'm sure if you asked Bo he'd tell you that he'd rather have another shot at the playoffs than some award...
It's about winning and team not awards - if there was ever a bigger "who cares" I'm sure the guy who won is like: "whatever, I'd rather be playing in meaningful games than accepting meaningless hardware"

bleedblue
January 8th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Lehigh, wa wa wa. What don't you go to McDonalds and get yourself some FrenchCRYS. you had a good year and Lum was very good. Don't worry be happy.

RichH2
January 8th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Lehigh, wa wa wa. What don't you go to McDonalds and get yourself some FrenchCRYS. you had a good year and Lum was very good. Don't worry be happy.

We are with the entire season. Not so much with Peyton, which honestly none of us thought he would get anyway. No disrespect to Bo he had a very good year just not a better one than Lum. PL rep does not help.

Mr. C
January 9th, 2012, 11:39 AM
This.

Coulson's ignorance and pretentious nature knows no bounds.

Oh really, Mr. Homer? How many teams other than EWU's opponents have you seen this year? How many years have you followed FCS? What an IDIOT.