PDA

View Full Version : DI move wasn't so bad after all

Go Bison
January 5th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Here is a good article for people to read about all the doubters when NDSU and SDSU decided to move up. There were a ton of naysayers and people who thought NDSU was doing the wrong thing. This article comes from a Minneapolis newspaper.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/136784973.html

Green26
January 5th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I didn't realize there was so much resistance to the these schools, especially NDS, moving up. I had seen these schools, or some Dakota schools, play UM and MSU over the years (and knew they were good teams). I had been aware of the D-II championships. I saw that NDS beat UM in '03. I knew many of their players came from the Midwest, especially Minnesota, a strong recruiting area. It seemed like almost a no-brainer. I assumed most people wanted to move to I-AA. I'm saying this only from the football perspective. I'll be watching the game on Saturday, but will be cheering for Sam Houston. Good luck to the Bison.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 6th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I didn't realize there was so much resistance to the these schools, especially NDS, moving up. I had seen these schools, or some Dakota schools, play UM and MSU over the years (and knew they were good teams). I had been aware of the D-II championships. I saw that NDS beat UM in '03. I knew many of their players came from the Midwest, especially Minnesota, a strong recruiting area. It seemed like almost a no-brainer. I assumed most people wanted to move to I-AA. I'm saying this only from the football perspective. I'll be watching the game on Saturday, but will be cheering for Sam Houston. Good luck to the Bison.

I think there will be resistance at any sub-DI school wants to make the jump no matter how much sense it might make. And it usually comes from ignorant academics who are clueless at how college sports are funded and blame athletics for the out of control costs of higher education.

WestRiverBison
January 6th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I remember very well all the negativity around the move. Especially from co-worker fans/alumni of a certain school. They vehemently mocked and laughed at NDSU and especially at Taylor and Chapman. Funny how short-sighted some people can be. One more game. GO BISON!!!

Hammerhead
January 6th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I was't worried about the football team being competitive in the FCS. Other sports had multiple championships in D-II so it's not like football is the only program with a good history at NDSU.

I have been surprised by the other teams getting some post-season action in D-I.

darell1976
January 6th, 2012, 08:32 AM
My favorite quote:

Why would NDSU and SDSU want to destroy a conference that had served them so well for so long? Even worse, how could these two institutions do anything that would end the in-state rivalries with North Dakota and South Dakota?

Go Bison
January 6th, 2012, 08:55 AM
My favorite quote:

I think NDSU has answered that question just fine. NDSU has thrived with out playing that other school.

RabidRabbit
January 6th, 2012, 08:58 AM
South Dakota St was even worse than NDSU. Much smaller community than Fargo. SD legislature (mainly with USD grads, ie lawyers) REALLY restricted how SDSU could progress in schollies, and coaches in the move up. Much of the damaging legislation is no longer enforced (ie, USD not held to the same standards)

darell1976
January 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
South Dakota St was even worse than NDSU. Much smaller community than Fargo. SD legislature (mainly with USD grads, ie lawyers) REALLY restricted how SDSU could progress in schollies, and coaches in the move up. Much of the damaging legislation is no longer enforced (ie, USD not held to the same standards)

USD doesn't need damage from legislation...their sports teams damage themselves with losses.

darell1976
January 6th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I think NDSU has answered that question just fine. NDSU has thrived with out playing that other school.

Notice in the article they didn't answer that question. The answer is obvious...

Go Bison
January 6th, 2012, 09:04 AM

Very true. I believe the UND grads in the legislature tried to pass a bill to block NDSU's move to DI. They have also tried to pass a bill to force NDSU and UND to play each other in football as well. Funny how the UND grads didn't do anything when UND tore up the 4 year home and home agreement to play NDSU right when the DI move was made.

darell1976
January 6th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Very true. I believe the UND grads in the legislature tried to pass a bill to block NDSU's move to DI. They have also tried to pass a bill to force NDSU and UND to play each other in football as well. Funny how the UND grads didn't do anything when UND tore up the 4 year home and home agreement to play NDSU right when the DI move was made.

Funny how NDSU fans didn't care about DII playoff rules or else they would have known why playing a DI NDSU was not a good idea. Why do you think playing Montana didn't help NDSU get into the playoffs in 2003? They (NCAA DII) saw playing up the same as a FCS team playing down. They want DII wins only!!

Go Bison
January 6th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Funny how NDSU fans didn't care about DII playoff rules or else they would have known why playing a DI NDSU was not a good idea. Why do you think playing Montana didn't help NDSU get into the playoffs in 2003? They (NCAA DII) saw playing up the same as a FCS team playing down. They want DII wins only!!

I love how UND fans cherished the DII playoff more than playing one of the longest rivalries in college football! Sacramento State and UC Davis kept playing when Sacramento State moved up and UC Davis didn't.

darell1976
January 6th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Very true. I believe the legislature tried to pass a bill to block NDSU's move to DI. They have also tried to pass a bill to force NDSU and UND to play each other in football as well. Funny how the UND grads didn't do anything when UND tore up the 4 year home and home agreement to play NDSU right when the DI move was made.
http://nofreelunch.areavoices.com/2009/01/20/bill-would-require-ndsu-and-und-to-play-an-annual-football-game/
FIFY...There are NDSU grads among others besides UND that are on the legislature and as for the bill to play each other it was sponsored by 6 legislatures...4 from Grand Forks, 1 from Dickinson...and 1 from FARGO!!!

http://prairiefire.areavoices.com/2010/11/22/nd-legislators-could-discuss-restoring-und-ndsu-football-rivalry/

Rep. Corey Mock, D-Grand Forks, sponsored a bill in the 2009 session calling for the teams to play football every year. It was overwhelmingly rejected by lawmakers after NDSU officials said the game would resume sooner rather than later. Now Mock is wondering why nothing has been scheduled and says he might bring it up again.

After 3 years.....still no UND-NDSU game. What is the definition of sooner NDSU officials?

darell1976
January 6th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I love how UND fans cherished the DII playoff more than playing one of the longest rivalries in college football! Sacramento State and UC Davis kept playing when Sacramento State moved up and UC Davis didn't.

I guess Sac St doesn't mind not having 6 home games like NDSU's reason for still not scheduling UND throughout UND's transition. So don't tell me that is the reason, when its Gene Taylor getting back at UND for what happened in 2002.

344Johnson
January 6th, 2012, 09:30 AM
UND is a total joke when it comes to how they ever handled their relationship with NDSU.

Go Bison
January 6th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I guess Sac St doesn't mind not having 6 home games like NDSU's reason for still not scheduling UND throughout UND's transition. So don't tell me that is the reason, when its Gene Taylor getting back at UND for what happened in 2002.

It seems like NDSU is just giving UND a dose of their own medicine by not scheduling UND during the transition. Seems very fair to me especially considering a lot of contracts were already written up by the time UND saw the light and moved up to DI.

darell1976
January 6th, 2012, 09:34 AM
It seems like NDSU is just giving UND a dose of their own medicine by not scheduling UND during the transition. Seems very fair to me especially considering a lot of contracts were already written up by the time UND saw the light and moved up to DI.

Which to me is an honest answer...too bad Gene Taylor doesn't have the balls to tell Faison and Kelley this even though those two have nothing to do with what happened in 2002. UND will never be scheduled to play NDSU in the regular season as long as Gene Taylor is at NDSU plain and simple. The only time these two will meet is in the playoffs.

darell1976
January 6th, 2012, 09:35 AM
UND is a total joke when it comes to how they ever handled their relationship with NDSU.

So was USD a total joke too how they broke it off with NDSU or did they have DII playoff rules on their mind too?

Southern Bison
January 6th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I think there's a few alumni that would be willing to drive north to that $h!thole just west of East Grand Forks and retrieve what has never been rightly yours...Or the Whioux can show their true school colors & put on their new pink uniforms and host the Bison in the dome so they can finally achieve a sellout.

darell1976
January 6th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I think there's a few alumni that would be willing to drive north to that $h!thole just west of East Grand Forks and retrieve what has never been rightly yours...Or the Whioux can show their true school colors & put on their new pink uniforms and host the Bison in the dome so they can finally achieve a sellout.

Tell your fellow Bison fans this because that would be 1 less home game for them. As for the Nickel Trophy...looks good in Grand Forks and since UND won it in 2003 just how is it rightly yours? The trophy goes to the winner not the loser.

Southern Bison
January 6th, 2012, 10:10 AM

UND ruined whatt was widely deemed as one of the greatest football rivalries in the history of college football. I recall a tv show in the late '90s called Football Americana on TNT? that specifically stated this rivalry as the fiercest in the country, regardless of division.

I found some humor as there was a table outside the Fargodome before the GSU game to sign a petition to save the Sioux name. I told the guy when UND grows the pair to play us again, then I'd sign it; otherwise it's like signing a petition for Fergus Falls Community College.

darell1976
January 6th, 2012, 10:13 AM
UND ruined whatt was widely deemed as one of the greatest football rivalries in the history of college football. I recall a tv show in the late '90s called Football Americana on TNT? that specifically stated this rivalry as the fiercest in the country, regardless of division.

I found some humor as there was a table outside the Fargodome before the GSU game to sign a petition to save the Sioux name. I told the guy when UND grows the pair to play us again, then I'd sign it; otherwise it's like signing a petition for Fergus Falls Community College.

UND wanted to play every year...NDSU said NO!!! Again why is it only UND's fault. Typical Bison response. I would think both schools are at fault.

deez_na
January 6th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I would give anything to see NDSU play UND so i can watch the Bison trample them.

Snowgoose
January 6th, 2012, 10:21 AM
If we hypothetically played next year, I don't even know if we can battle for the Nickel anymore with the change of the UND nickname can we? I know the nickname is not on the trophy, but one side has an indian head logo.

Plus, I don't believe the rivalry will be quite as big as it was in the 80's and 90's when the game was the last game of the year and in the 90's it was for a playoff spot and a conference championship. When they moved the game to earlier in the year in the 90's it sucked in my opinion as I loved it the last game of the year.

Southern Bison
January 6th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Funny how the UND grads didn't do anything when UND tore up the 4 year home and home agreement to play NDSU right when the DI move was made.

This says it all...UND broke the rivalry.

darell1976
January 6th, 2012, 10:27 AM
If we hypothetically played next year, I don't even know if we can battle for the Nickel anymore with the change of the UND nickname can we? I know the nickname is not on the trophy, but one side has an indian head logo.

Plus, I don't believe the rivalry will be quite as big as it was in the 80's and 90's when the game was the last game of the year and in the 90's it was for a playoff spot and a conference championship. When they moved the game to earlier in the year in the 90's it sucked in my opinion as I loved it the last game of the year.

I think it should be in a museum with the Sitting Bull Trophy (UND-USD rival game). I don't think they will ever have another trophy until both teams are in the same conference. Same thing happened to Troy State and Jacksonville State, Troy moved up and since they weren't in the same conference the rivalry was dropped (who was at fault who knows). It will take awhile for this game to get back to where it was if that is evenly possible. I also agree with your comment about the last game of the year. It was the game both teams looked forward to, then they stuck it in the middle of the season. YUCK! Next season would be the earliest both teams would be but it would be in the playoffs. Lets hope both teams get there and play.

mgbison
January 6th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Gene Taylor doesn't give a crap about UND. His job isn't to make sure UND has a full schedule of D1 games. He certainly isn't gonna go out of his way to make it easy for them. Esp, after how their coaches and ad at the time took shots at NDSU through the media. If UND's administration would have been more professional during ndsu's transition, maybe he would feel the need to go out of his way to help them out, but karmas a *****.

Gene offered UND an every other year deal and UND's AD shot it down. Gene has a full schedule filled out through 2014 or 2015 (the home and home with mt's). We sell out almost every game or close to it, and und's attendence is terrible. UND could be playing us, but didn't like our terms. Time to move on.

darell1976
January 6th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Gene Taylor doesn't give a crap about UND. His job isn't to make sure UND has a full schedule of D1 games. He certainly isn't gonna go out of his way to make it easy for them. Esp, after how their coaches and ad at the time took shots at NDSU through the media. If UND's administration would have been more professional during ndsu's transition, maybe he would feel the need to go out of his way to help them out, but karmas a *****.

Gene offered UND an every other year deal and UND's AD shot it down. Gene has a full schedule filled out through 2014 or 2015 (the home and home with mt's). We sell out almost every game or close to it, and und's attendence is terrible. UND could be playing us, but didn't like our terms. Time to move on.

Tell Southern Bison this.

biggame
January 6th, 2012, 12:54 PM
My views are not popular with other UND alum. but I felt they dropped the ball when they refused to schedule NDSU in the transition. You can make any excuse you want about it not being a level playing field or it possibly hurting playoff chances but I think the rivilry is more important than that. If UND would have done what in my opinion was the correct thing and schedule NDSU through the transition I am sure NDSU would have been fine doing the same for UND when they transitioned. I don't blame NDSU for not helping UND during the transition after what UND did but now both teams are full FCS programs and we really need to have this rivalry back and being played every year.

Go Bison
January 6th, 2012, 01:09 PM
My views are not popular with other UND alum. but I felt they dropped the ball when they refused to schedule NDSU in the transition. You can make any excuse you want about it not being a level playing field or it possibly hurting playoff chances but I think the rivilry is more important than that. If UND would have done what in my opinion was the correct thing and schedule NDSU through the transition I am sure NDSU would have been fine doing the same for UND when they transitioned. I don't blame NDSU for not helping UND during the transition after what UND did but now both teams are full FCS programs and we really need to have this rivalry back and being played every year.

Totally agree. Great post.

lucchesicourt
January 6th, 2012, 05:27 PM
I agree. Rivalries like this are good for both schools.
Now, as for tomorrow. GO BISON!!! UCD will be rooting for you guys,

Southern Bison
January 6th, 2012, 05:36 PM

Very well said! Perhaps you could read it to Darell1976 since all he can see is about a foot into his colon.

bisonranch
January 6th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Actually, I think this situation turned out pretty cool for both parties...
- MVC football has been great smashmouth football
- Starting next year we can watch Big Sky teams play in El Forko Grande, I'll probably even go to games when SU is on the road
- NDSU's schedule is basically filled for the next few years with some big games so it's not going to happen anyway
- Resume the rivalry in the playoffs (so that's on UND to get 3 BSC teams in the playoffs) You think the Dome was loud vs. GSU? (and yes, I'm assuming SU is hosting ;))

Southern Bison
January 6th, 2012, 06:11 PM
- Resume the rivalry in the playoffs (so that's on UND to get 3 BSC teams in the playoffs) You think the Dome was loud vs. GSU? (and yes, I'm assuming SU is hosting ;))

Bisonranch,
You're making one very big assumption - the Fighting Whioux ever being good enough to make the playoffs! The only way there will be a Bison/Whioux game is a scheduled non-conference matchup at the Fargodome.

bisonranch
January 6th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Knowing their coaching and recruiting have a ways to go, and they have to get by the Montana schools and EWU, no assumption implied ;)

MarkyMark
January 6th, 2012, 10:06 PM
UND wanted to play every year...NDSU said NO!!! Again why is it only UND's fault. Typical Bison response. I would think both schools are at fault.

UND now wants to play every year. Unfortunately the series was ended and lost its historic value. I don't see a reason to resume the series at this point.

As a Bison fan I love having two home non-conference home games and 1 FBS game every year. Both NDSU and UND need to focus on winning their conferences and getting into the playoffs every year.

Southern Bison
January 6th, 2012, 10:28 PM

UND now wants to play every year. Unfortunately the series was ended and lost its historic value. I don't see a reason to resume the series at this point.

As a Bison fan I love having two home non-conference home games and 1 FBS game every year. Both NDSU and UND need to focus on winning their conferences and getting into the playoffs every year.

Marky Mark...definitely the wrong quote to work from. The Whioux won't have a prayer of getting into the playoffs...also, how can the Nickel Trophy be returned to its rightful owner based on the wish that the
Whioux make the playoffs.

Remember - you can wish in one hand and $h!t in the other and see which gets filled first...of course both hands would be filled before the Alerus Dome sold out!

344Johnson
January 6th, 2012, 11:40 PM

I'd assume you are right about NDSU helping UND out if UND hadn't been so childish at the time. I'm sure they wish they could go back and handle it differently because it has caused a lot of headaches.

darell1976
January 7th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Marky Mark...definitely the wrong quote to work from. The Whioux won't have a prayer of getting into the playoffs...also, how can the Nickel Trophy be returned to its rightful owner based on the wish that the

Remember - you can wish in one hand and $h!t in the other and see which gets filled first...of course both hands would be filled before the Alerus Dome sold out!

It took NDSU 3 years after their 10 win transition seasons to make the playoffs so maybe UND can do it in less time. Just stay positive Southern Bison.

BisonFan02
January 7th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Honestly (may not be popular), but screw UND as far as NDSU is concerned. Unless UND is in the same conference, I would rather have a FBS game plus 2 home OOC games against counters in DI. Past that, pound sand. NDSU will be fine without UND at this point.

darell1976
January 7th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Honestly (may not be popular), but screw UND as far as NDSU is concerned. Unless UND is in the same conference, I would rather have a FBS game plus 2 home OOC games against counters in DI. Past that, pound sand. NDSU will be fine without UND at this point.

Tell us how you really feel.

MarkyMark
January 7th, 2012, 06:34 AM

UND will make the playoffs at some point and the NCAA will make sure NDSU plays them. The game will be a huge money maker and attract alot of media attention for FCS. Also travel costs could not be lower for any playoff matchup.

Fan interest in NDSU football has never been higher. I think we are doing fine without the rivalry.

caribbeanhen
January 7th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Question for the North Dakota fans? is the state behind the Bison for this one, or is it more of a Fargo thing?

MarkyMark
January 7th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Question for the North Dakota fans? is the state behind the Bison for this one, or is it more of a Fargo thing?

I think state but I think there are alot more UND alum going to Bison games than both fan bases realize. NDSU has a great product and game day experience that is pulling in your casual fans that have no connection to the school. In my group of season ticket holders there are no NDSU alumni and one is a UND grad. My wife bought General Admission tickets for the Georgia Southern game and sat with 2 UND grads.

North Dakotans love positive national media attention. Remember there is only 600,000+ in our state. Other than your hard core UND fans, most of us are pulling for the Bison today.

darell1976
January 7th, 2012, 12:59 PM

For this game is a ND thing because UND isn't playoff eligible more UND fans are cheering for NDSU to do well. It should change next season only if the two get into the playoffs. Since they aren't in the same conference you will see somewhat less hatred and will see both fan bases cheer for the other. Of course once a game between the two is scheduled...all bets are off!

RabidRabbit
January 7th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Regarding USD, they are by far and away the smallest of the four Dakota schools. They also are a 60% F, 40 % M school. Therefore, they are always struggling with Title IX compliance.

USD will usually be minimal sports, and more womens than men's. They also have facility issues as the DakotaDome is the ONLY athletic venue.

frozennorth
January 7th, 2012, 06:38 PM
UND needs ndsu far more than NDSU needs UND.

darell1976
January 7th, 2012, 06:43 PM
UND needs ndsu far more than NDSU needs UND.

UND needs NDSU's NC trophy.:D

frozennorth
January 7th, 2012, 06:46 PM

looking at my Facebook feed, I see two people ranting about the nickle trophy, another saying NDSU is to scared to schedule UND (LOL), a couple congrats, and three reporting from frisco. The bitter diehards are all grand forks natives. They are not taking it well. Everyone else is pretty happy, because UND students don't give a flying **** about their football team.

Southern Bison
January 7th, 2012, 06:51 PM
UND needs NDSU's NC trophy.:D

The Nickel Trophy will compliment it nicely!! We'll let you look at both and our NC Banner hanging from the Fargodome rafters once the Whoux are man enough to play the Bison!

darell1976
January 7th, 2012, 06:53 PM
The Nickel Trophy will compliment it nicely!! We'll let you look at both and our NC Banner hanging from the Fargodome rafters once the Whoux are man enough to play the Bison!

We will take that NC trophy over the Nickel anyday.

Southern Bison
January 7th, 2012, 07:07 PM

Darell, let me spell it out once and for all...it took your Women's basketball team to win UND's 1st Division II national title. This is after 8 Football NCs, 5 Women's BB NCs, & 2 Wrestling NCs for the BISON.

Like the gentleman said before, NDSU DOES NOT need the Whoux!!

TheBisonator
January 7th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Darell, let me spell it out once and for all...it took your Women's basketball team to win UND's 1st Division II national title. This is after 8 Football NCs, 5 Women's BB NCs, & 2 Wrestling NCs.

Prepare for hockey rebuttal

Southern Bison
January 7th, 2012, 07:11 PM

Darell, I see your lips moving...so do me a favor and put your knees together!

devin45k
January 7th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Darell, let me spell it out once and for all...it took your Women's basketball team to win UND's 1st Division II national title. This is after 8 Football NCs, 5 Women's BB NCs, & 2 Wrestling NCs for the BISON.

Argument trumped

darell1976
January 7th, 2012, 07:15 PM

UND won 2 DI hockey titles in 59, and 63 before your first title of any kind.

Southern Bison
January 7th, 2012, 07:27 PM

You're not helping yourself. Seriously, put your knees together - I'm smelling some fromunda cheese. PM me your address and I'll send you a case of Summer's Eve to clean that up.

darell1976
January 7th, 2012, 07:27 PM
You're not helping yourself. Seriously, put your knees together - I'm smelling some fromunda cheese. PM me your address and I'll send you a case of Summer's Eve to clean that up.

You sure you aren't Lakes' brother?

Southern Bison
January 7th, 2012, 07:29 PM
You sure you aren't Lakes' brother?

Absolutely not! I simply call Bull $h!t when I see it.

darell1976
January 7th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Absolutely not! I simply call Bull $h!t when I see it.

Take a look at your posts.

TheBisonator
January 7th, 2012, 07:34 PM

I already called it.

robsnotes4u
January 7th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Prepare for hockey rebuttal

I remember arguing with bison fans thought there club champion hockey team could defeat The Sioux. That was 87. Hrkac circus best of all time and national champion. I think the bison have along way to go, and probably never will catch UND when it comes to Division 1. National Championships. With that being said, and as a UND alum. Congrats Bison on a job well done

darell1976
January 7th, 2012, 07:39 PM
A funny article about the Nickel.

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=168

It was funny, that is, until last weekend in Bismarck when someone dropped this 75-pound nickel of knowledge on me: “Hey, Swany, what do you think they’ll do with the Nickel Trophy now that UND can’t be called the Sioux anymore?”
Say what?! Screeching sound of record playing “Ironic” by Alanis Morissette stops in the background. Whoa, back up. Rewind that. The Nickel Trophy! Great Scott! He’s right!

TheBisonator
January 7th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I remember arguing with bison fans thought there club champion hockey team could defeat The Sioux. That was 87. Hrkac circus best of all time and national champion. I think the bison have along way to go, and probably never will catch UND when it comes to Division 1. National Championships. With that being said, and as a UND alum. Congrats Bison on a job well done

Virg Foss, is that you???

darell1976
January 7th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Virg Foss, is that you???

I doubt it but Southern Bison may be Jeff Kolpack.

Southern Bison
January 7th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I'm a proud, well-educated NDSU alum living in the Carolinas. An alum that beat the floods of '97 & actually finished that year in the classroom. I'm like Rush Limbaugh - I tie half my brain behind my back so that you feel like you at least have a slim chance of winning an argument.

TheBisonator
January 7th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I'm a proud, well-educated NDSU alum living in the Carolinas. An alum that beat the floods of '97 & actually finished that year in the classroom. I'm like Rush Limbaugh - I tie half my brain behind my back so that you feel like you at least have a slim chance of winning an argument.

You probably picked the worst example of a person to compare yourself to in the quest to talk yourself up.

frozennorth
January 7th, 2012, 08:26 PM
so you're brain dead. gotcha.

Southern Bison
January 7th, 2012, 08:41 PM
so you're brain dead. gotcha.

Gotcha...you're a person that believes that personal success should be rewarded by taking more of your income/wealth and giving it to those that the government deems more worthy than you. Let's do that...today was a win for all ND schools, not just NDSU. Yeah UND, great game, strong UND defense...

That's right, the Whoux were sitting in Grand Forks watching ESPN2.

TheBisonator
January 7th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Gotcha...you're a person that believes that personal success should be rewarded by taking more of your income/wealth and giving it to those that the government deems more worthy than you. Let's do that...today was a win for all ND schools, not just NDSU. Yeah UND, great game, strong UND defense...

That's right, the Whoux were sitting in Grand Forks watching ESPN2.

Oh God, let's not start this sh it please.

Again, great day to be a Bison.

Southern Bison
January 7th, 2012, 09:15 PM
It IS a great day to be a Bison!!! Too bad the Whoux are trying to ride our coattails while trying diminish the Bison's season with bull $h!t.

darell1976
January 7th, 2012, 09:45 PM
It IS a great day to be a Bison!!! Too bad the Whoux are trying to ride our coattails while trying diminish the Bison's season with bull $h!t.

xconfusedx

A lot of Sioux fans were going for NDSU because they are representing the state of ND. Not just Fargo...the state!!! People in ND can now go around and say we have a school in our state that has a DI football National Title can South Dakota say that no, can Wyoming? No. Very few states can say this. So enjoy the 366 days until Frisco, TX Jan 2013 hopefully your team can be there and I hope my team can be there but which ever ND school is there they represent this great state of North Dakota!!

Southern Bison
January 7th, 2012, 10:29 PM
xconfusedx

A lot of Sioux fans were going for NDSU because they are representing the state of ND. Not just Fargo...the state!!! People in ND can now go around and say we have a school in our state that has a DI football National Title can South Dakota say that no, can Wyoming? No. Very few states can say this. So enjoy the 366 days until Frisco, TX Jan 2013 hopefully your team can be there and I hope my team can be there but which ever ND school is there they represent this great state of North Dakota!!

I know a lot of UND fans want a college football team to root for, so they cheer for NDSU.*

T-Dog
January 7th, 2012, 11:23 PM
After going through this season after the FBS recommendation, I think I can understand how NDSU fans feel. Any positive play and I could hear "this is why we need to move up, time to compete with the big boys!" and every negative play I could hear someone else saying "this is why we shouldn't move up, we'd get killed!". It was like that every game.

BisonHype!
January 8th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Well, if you do make the move, you will attract better teams and talent.

HandoEX
January 8th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Some of the biggest Bison fans I know went to UND...that says alot to me. I have lived in ND for 14 years now and have only met one person that was a rabid UND football fan, and even he commented on how irrelevant all UND sports are besides hockey to their fans. Why should NDSU help UND become relevant to their own fans again? NDSU's athletic department has earned the respect of the state by being progressive and successful. UND has done very little in anything...but hockey.

Twentysix
January 8th, 2012, 11:09 AM

You know how you kinda like what someone is saying... then they say something...that...is...(rush limbaugh)... Man if you arent being trolly xrotatehxxrotatehx...stick to radio please. xeyebrowx

Hammerhead
January 8th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I was in the end zone at Frisco with 20-something fans in front of me and older fans behind me. Both groups let out a few "Sioux Suck" chants so the hatred of UND still continues. A couple of groups also sported Sioux Suck T-shirts that were common back in the 80s when I was a student.

darell1976
January 8th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I was in the end zone at Frisco with 20-something fans in front of me and older fans behind me. Both groups let out a few "Sioux Suck" chants so the hatred of UND still continues. A couple of groups also sported Sioux Suck T-shirts that were common back in the 80s when I was a student.

Sioux suck at a NDSU-Sam Houston State game....makes sense.xrolleyesx

Hammerhead
January 9th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Back in my college days (1986-1991) The main chant at every game ended with Sioux Suck. When we actually played the Sioux it was "Sioux suck S--t!" The latter of those two was also heard a few times in section 116.

darell1976
January 9th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Back in my college days (1986-1991) The main chant at every game ended with Sioux Suck. When we actually played the Sioux it was "Sioux suck S--t!" The latter of those two was also heard a few times in section 116.

Wow thats...sad. When we played any team other than NDSU we said that team other than NDSU sucked. We only said Bison sucked when NDSU was on the field or else it makes you guys sound obsessed with UND. And just think no game played since 2003 and your Sioux envy lives on.

AmsterBison
January 9th, 2012, 03:28 PM

Yeah, it's like Cato the Elder ending every speech with "Furthermore, I think that Carthage must be destroyed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carthago_delenda_est

Anyway, I gave the chant up a decade ago because some real Sioux leaders (the Native American variety, not the dickey-under-the-sweatshirt UND crowd) asked Bison fans to stop.

The "Let's go Bison" chant is tons better - all fans do with the old chant is give UND folks a reason to give us a lecture on political correct behavior; granted, sometimes that is a welcome break from "hockey talk."

On NDSU's flagship radio station this morning, some UND alumnus devoted the entire morning to a discussion on the "Sioux suck scandal." Heck, he pretended that the remark was so offensive that he couldn't say it on air! Really? "Sioux suck" is that offensive? :)

BTW, I'm glad to say that in the last 5 years I've never heard "Here we go, Bison / Sioux Suck" chant get going.

Southern Bison
January 9th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Wow thats...sad. When we played any team other than NDSU we said that team other than NDSU sucked. We only said Bison sucked when NDSU was on the field or else it makes you guys sound obsessed with UND. And just think no game played since 2003 and your Sioux envy lives on.

Judges, can I get a ruling on Whoux envy? (Name changed to meet NCAA regs)

Survey Says: xnonox, I'm sorry, but the correct answer is Tradition...obviously not taught at UND.

I'm Sorry, but thanks for playing...there will be some nice parting gifts.

344Johnson
January 9th, 2012, 03:44 PM

Feel free to listen to Texas and Texas A&M fight songs. For sure one of them is all about how much they don't like the other school.

Envious of what? One championship? 'Nough said.

darell1976
January 9th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Judges, can I get a ruling on Whoux envy? (Name changed to meet NCAA regs)

Survey Says: xnonox, I'm sorry, but the correct answer is Tradition...obviously not taught at UND.

I'm Sorry, but thanks for playing...there will be some nice parting gifts.

Now its considered disrespect to the Sioux people. There is NO NCAA team with the nickname Sioux. So I would watch it or else the SL, SR, and other Sioux nations will cause an uproar and the NCAA loves to stick their nose where it doesn't belong, and NDSU could end up with sanctions. All because of....tradition.

Southern Bison
January 9th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Now its considered disrespect to the Sioux people. There is NO NCAA team with the nickname Sioux. So I would watch it or else the SL, SR, and other Sioux nations will cause an uproar and the NCAA loves to stick their nose where it doesn't belong, and NDSU could end up with sanctions. All because of....tradition.

Hence, if you actually read my post...I stated the new UND nickname - Whoux

darell1976
January 9th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Hence, if you actually read my post...I stated the new UND nickname - Whoux

Better start chanting Whoux (who) sucks not Sioux suck. Of course it doesn't sound right, but I am sure a new tradition will be born.xlolx

FarSouthBison
January 9th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I hope that the boosters behind the nickname, get it on the state wide ballot. Then all of us Bison can vote to keep it, and get the school north of Fargo kicked out of the Big Sky Conf..

frozennorth
January 9th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I hope that the boosters behind the nickname, get it on the state wide ballot. Then all of us Bison can vote to keep it, and get the school north of Fargo kicked out of the Big Sky Conf..
i agree, though i think it would be in UND's best interest to be kicked out of the BSC

344Johnson
January 9th, 2012, 05:33 PM
i agree, though i think it would be in UND's best interest to be kicked out of the BSC

So that their football team can keep any shreds of dignity they still have left?

texcap
January 9th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Feel free to listen to Texas and Texas A&M fight songs. For sure one of them is all about how much they don't like the other school.

Envious of what? One championship? 'Nough said.

Actually BOTH UT and aTm fight songs take digs at the other school.

The "Aggie War Hymn" starts with, "Good bye to Texas University; So long to the Orange and the White...."

The UT fight song, "Texas Fight" starts with, "Texas Fight, Texas Fight, and it's good bye to A&M..."

TheBisonator
January 9th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Actually BOTH UT and aTm fight songs take digs at the other school.

The "Aggie War Hymn" starts with, "Good bye to Texas University; So long to the Orange and the White...."

The UT fight song, "Texas Fight" starts with, "Texas Fight, Texas Fight, and it's good bye to A&M..."

And these are OFFICIAL school fight songs!!

At NDSU, the most we have is an unofficial song (not endorsed by the university) that goes:

On the plains of North Dakota,
Standing there for all to see,
Is an old abandoned outhouse
And they call it UND.

Hail the Bison, Hail the Bison
With our tails up in the air,
University, University
Sioux can kiss what's under there

Then the next stanza is varied between whether or not you were a football player for NDSU or just a drunken hardcore student. (There are two different versions for each group)

AmsterBison
January 9th, 2012, 06:59 PM

At NDSU, the most we have is an unofficial song (not endorsed by the university) that goes:

And they call it UND.

University, University
You can kiss what's under there

Then the next stanza is varied between whether or not you were a football player for NDSU or just a drunken hardcore student. (There are two different versions for each group)

Bold shows the real lyrics... "Sioux" was never in there - did the lyrics evolve?

TheBisonator
January 9th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Bold shows the real lyrics... "Sioux" was never in there - did the lyrics evolve?

I remember it as "Sioux can kiss", I dunno. Maybe the lyrics for a lot of these songs evolve.

The "In Heaven There Is No Beer" song they sang at the end of the game sounded nothing like the song I remembered from the mid-2000's. Lyrics sounded completely different.

Beer
January 9th, 2012, 07:24 PM

With their tails up in the air,
University, University

Is how I hear it most often - but you also hear 'Sioux' substituted for 'you' fairly often as well. I think you makes more sense, like the Texas fight songs, you start with a dig against you arch-rival and then the rest can apply to anyone.

GFBison
January 10th, 2012, 12:50 AM

What is sad is that UND never cared about playing anybody other than NDSU (Non-Pucky sports). When I first moved to el Forko in 1990, I couldn't find anyone to talk football with, except for Bison/UND week. Then they came out of the wood work, only to crawl back in after the game. I started to hate that week because it got old telling them who was on the UND roster. ;) BTW, in the early 90's hockey wasn't real popular here either, I use to go to games for free, could move around the old ralph and sit just about anywhere.
1500 fans at best. Gino's last few years really sucked for the U. It took a Gopher to bring UND hockey back, now that's funny!

darell1976
January 10th, 2012, 01:18 AM
What is sad is that UND never cared about playing anybody other than NDSU (Non-Pucky sports). When I first moved to el Forko in 1990, I couldn't find anyone to talk football with, except for Bison/UND week. Then they came out of the wood work, only to crawl back in after the game. I started to hate that week because it got old telling them who was on the UND roster. ;) BTW, in the early 90's hockey wasn't real popular here either, I use to go to games for free, could move around the old ralph and sit just about anywhere.
1500 fans at best. Gino's last few years really sucked for the U. It took a Gopher to bring UND hockey back, now that's funny!

If you are talking about Dean Blais he was UND's assistant coach under Gino so its not like he came straight from Minnesota.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 10th, 2012, 06:20 AM

Hockey is #1 at UND with no other sport even coming close. Football will be #2 or #3 and that will never change. Darell and others think that attendance will have a big jump next year with the addition of a BSC schedule....maybe or maybe not.

IMO, there is not enough interest in UND FB right now to see the Alerus being packed full of fans for any games. If they win FBS games and win consistently in the Sky that might happen but I don't see a huge increase in interest next year. We'll see.

MplsBison
January 10th, 2012, 06:21 AM

And they call it UND.

University, University
Sioux can kiss what's under there

Far across the plains from Fargo,
there for all to see,
stands an old abandoned outhouse
called the university.

Works nicely for the Gophers as well and maybe Wisconsin or Nebraska too one day (in my dreams).

frozennorth
January 10th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Hockey is #1 at UND with no other sport even coming close. Football will be #2 or #3 and that will never change. Darell and others think that attendance will have a big jump next year with the addition of a BSC schedule....maybe or maybe not.

IMO, there is not enough interest in UND FB right now to see the Alerus being packed full of fans for any games. If they win FBS games and win consistently in the Sky that might happen but I don't see a huge increase in interest next year. We'll see.

I think they will see a modest bump in attendance this year, maybe even 1000 a game, then drop off again the next year by 500 or so.

darell1976
January 10th, 2012, 08:16 AM

Check out attendance in the Alerus pre-transition years. A lot of 10,000+ games and not only against NDSU. Also check out 2008 against Texas A&M-Kingsville we had 11,434;10,256 against DIII Wisconsin-Lacrosse; 12,164 vs Western Washington. It helps when you have a winning team on the field too. I do believe attendance at the Alerus will increase because we are a better team than the last 3 years and we are playoff eligible.

344Johnson
January 10th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Darrell, you are assuming things go back to where they used to be. UND and NDSU are very different in the attendence thing. NDSU can have a down year and still get pretty good attendence, UND relies entirely on having a good team. I don't think UND has a good team right now and don't think they will have many 10,000+ games in the next couple years.

NDB
January 10th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I have no idea why UND fans think that they will see anywhere near the level of success that NDSU has.

They are both located in North Dakota and one possibility is that UND will do well - that's about where the comparison ends. I don't believe for a second that UND will become an upper echelon team given their support, coaching staff, and talent.

This is similar (relatively speaking) to programs looking at Boise and saying - Boise did it, we can do it. That's horsesh#t.

darell1976
January 10th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I have no idea why UND fans think that they will see anywhere near the level of success that NDSU has.

They are both located in North Dakota and one possibility is that UND will do well - that's about where the comparison ends. I don't believe for a second that UND will become an upper echelon team given their support, coaching staff, and talent.

This is similar (relatively speaking) to programs looking at Boise and saying - Boise did it, we can do it. That's horsesh#t.

Didn't UND kick *** in DII in the late 90's and 2000's while NDSU declined. I mean no home playoffs for NDSU in the Fargodome until 2010. Thats 18 years. First NC title since 1990 thats 21 years. While UND opens a new building in 2001 and wins a NC title that year then goes back to the NC game and lost in 2003. Both teams have had great success in football as you can tell by all the conference titles, the Bowl victories of the 1960's and 70's, NDSU's DII titles in the 80's and 1990 and UND winning a title in 2001 and runner up in 2003. NDSU won a GWFC title, so did UND. NDSU has won 32 games since becoming playoff eligible and National Title, don't you think UND doesn't want to outdo that? I am sure Mussman wants to get UND back up to where they were before transition started.

MplsBison
January 10th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Didn't UND kick *** in DII in the late 90's and 2000's while NDSU declined. I mean no home playoffs for NDSU in the Fargodome until 2010. Thats 18 years. First NC title since 1990 thats 21 years. While UND opens a new building in 2001 and wins a NC title that year then goes back to the NC game and lost in 2003. Both teams have had great success in football as you can tell by all the conference titles, the Bowl victories of the 1960's and 70's, NDSU's DII titles in the 80's and 1990 and UND winning a title in 2001 and runner up in 2003. NDSU won a GWFC title, so did UND. NDSU has won 32 games since becoming playoff eligible and National Title, don't you think UND doesn't want to outdo that? I am sure Mussman wants to get UND back up to where they were before transition started.

Both UND and NDSU can be in the playoffs the same year. There's enough talent that gets missed in MN, WI, NE and the Dakotas to support two championship level teams.

What I wonder is how long is NDSU going to be in FCS.

darell1976
January 10th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Both UND and NDSU can be in the playoffs the same year. There's enough talent that gets missed in MN, WI, NE and the Dakotas to support two championship level teams.

What I wonder is how long is NDSU going to be in FCS.

Oh God here we go again. I say 10-20 years. It all depends on different factors, and what NDSU wants. Do they want to be in a crap bowl like a WAC or MAC team or do they want to wait until the FBS gets a playoff which will take an act of congress to do to move and possibly wait for a better conference. I know for sure it won't be this decade.

LakesBison
January 10th, 2012, 10:19 AM
darrel, you are the only delusional fan on here, heck someone said you're the only fan.
NDSU rules the roost, they own the fcs, they own the upper midwest in football & basketball (just slightly after Minnesota)
get used to it.

344Johnson
January 10th, 2012, 12:01 PM
darrel, you are the only delusional fan on here, heck someone said you're the only fan.
NDSU rules the roost, they own the fcs, they own the upper midwest in football & basketball (just slightly after Minnesota)
get used to it.

NDSU doesn't own the FCS you idiot :( Appalachian State during the 3-peat didn't even own the FCS. We own the upper midwest in basketball? Again, I disagree....we still lost to a Minnesota team ravaged by injuries.

TheBisonator
January 10th, 2012, 06:47 PM
NDSU doesn't own the FCS you idiot :( Appalachian State during the 3-peat didn't even own the FCS. We own the upper midwest in basketball? Again, I disagree....we still lost to a Minnesota team ravaged by injuries.

Yeah, I think UNI still holds a legitimate stake for #2 basketball team in the four-state area.

Gothmog
January 10th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Far across the plains from Fargo,
there for all to see,
stands an old abandoned outhouse
called the university.

Works nicely for the Gophers as well and maybe Wisconsin or Nebraska too one day (in my dreams).

I've heard many different versions of the song over the years. Here are the defiinitive correct words:

Far across the plains of Fargo,
There for all to see,
Stands an old abandoned outhouse
Called the University

University, University

Twentysix
January 10th, 2012, 09:11 PM
"On the plains of North Dakota
Standing there for all to see
that they call UND

Hail the bison, Hail the bison
with their tails up in the air
university university
Sioux can kiss whats under there"

The way its sung by current students.

Ginsbach
January 11th, 2012, 07:07 PM
There's an old abandoned outhouse
And they call it UND

university university
You can kiss what's under there"

That's how it was sung way back in the days of 2010.

Southern Bison
January 11th, 2012, 08:00 PM
So what's the deal? Is everyone scared to post the 2nd verses?

Hammerhead
January 11th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Here's the version I remember.

On the plains of North Dakota
Lies an old abandoned outhouse
That they call the University

With their tails up in the air
University, University
Sioux can kiss what's under there!

Bison once! Bison twice! - holy jumpin' jahosaphice!
ahhhh, s@*t -- spit-tobacco chew
We're the mighty Bison, who the F@#k are you!?

Gothmog
January 11th, 2012, 09:21 PM
that they call UND

university university
Sioux can kiss whats under there"

The way its sung by current students.

That may be, but there's too many syllables in that version. It doesn't fit the tune.

Twentysix
January 11th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Its interesting how it evolves in different groups. I have been a student since 07-08.

I hadn't heard the song sung in public until 10-11.

MplsBison
January 11th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I've heard many different versions of the song over the years. Here are the defiinitive correct words:

Far across the plains of Fargo,
There for all to see,
Called the University

University, University

Fair enough, but doesn't from make more sense than of? Plains of Fargo makes it seem like you're talking about somewhere in Fargo.

Twentysix
January 11th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Fair enough, but doesn't from make more sense than of? Plains of Fargo makes it seem like you're talking about somewhere in Fargo.

I am fairly certain Dr. Isern has published research works in regards to the school song. If you want to dig for it you could probably find it on ebsco.

Ginsbach
January 11th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Its interesting how it evolves in different groups. I have been a student since 07-08.

I hadn't heard the song sung in public until 10-11.

Strange. I was a student from 06-07 to 10-11 and I heard it ever year. I know we sang it during the 07 football season - I was in the front of the student section for every home game that year.

Twentysix
January 11th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Strange. I was a student from 06-07 to 10-11 and I heard it ever year. I know we sang it during the 07 football season - I was in the front of the student section for every home game that year.

I always sit in 16. Either in the front section or just past the suite.

In 07-08 I would have been just past the suite all season.

"front of the student section" is so vague. The front of the student section is about 300 feet long and im talking about the literal first row. I mean its 7 whole sections of a stadium...

If people were singing it in 10 to 12, no one in 14 through 16 would have heard it, vice versa.

I was a big fan of the student line singing before the doors opening, that seemed to start last year also. Yogi bear iterations.

Ginsbach
January 11th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I always sit in 16. Either in the front section or just past the suite.

In 07-08 I would have been just past the suite all season.

"front of the student section" is so vague. The front of the student section is about 300 feet long and im talking about the literal first row. I mean its 7 whole sections of a stadium...

I managed to get first row of either 14 or 15 for every home game that year.

Twentysix
January 11th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I managed to get first row of either 14 or 15 for every home game that year.

Should have sung louder :p. Its amazing how much is lost when you go up 13 rows and over 50 seats.