PDA

View Full Version : CBS - Patriot League Broadcast Agreemet

Bogus Megapardus
January 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
I hadn't seen this before - Here are the details of the long-term broadcast agreement between CBS Sports and the Patriot League. It covers football, plus men's and women's basketball and men's lacrosse (the latter of which is a big deal in the PL no matter what you guys in the Midwest might think).

CBS Sports - Patriot League FAQ (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/patr/genrel/auto_pdf/2011-12/misc_non_event/FAQplCBSSNOctober2011.pdf)

TexasTerror
January 3rd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Does not hurt in the least bit to have Army, Navy in the league...

Built-in interest for those two, who both have their own TV packages for football... wonder how many of the games will feature Army or Navy...

TheValleyRaider
January 3rd, 2012, 12:10 PM
Built-in interest for those two, who both have their own TV packages for football... wonder how many of the games will feature Army or Navy...

Presumably, this release only covers Patriot League sporting events, not sporting events involving teams in the Patriot League (which would exclude Army and Navy football games). I believe CBS' coverage of the Army-Navy basketball game is part of the contract for the football game, but that could be considered part of the deal this release is referring to.

DFW HOYA
January 3rd, 2012, 12:22 PM
Built-in interest for those two, who both have their own TV packages for football...

The others are on their own.

Bogus Megapardus
January 3rd, 2012, 12:27 PM
Presumably, this release only covers Patriot League sporting events, not sporting events involving teams in the Patriot League (which would exclude Army and Navy football games). I believe CBS' coverage of the Army-Navy basketball game is part of the contract for the football game, but that could be considered part of the deal this release is referring to.

Well, the CBS football games this season included UMass @ Holy Cross and Fordham @ Army, so it seems to include OOC and "sort of" OOC events as well.

http://www.patriotleague.org/genrel/082404aaa.html

Bogus Megapardus
January 3rd, 2012, 12:31 PM
The others are on their own.

Indeed. And some of those others take a decidedly eleemosynary approach by dedicating certain broadcasts "for future generations," as well.

xcoolx

Lehigh Football Nation
January 3rd, 2012, 12:39 PM
I really like the CBS Network's coverage of football, and men's and women's basketball over the years.

What I really don't like is that my cable provider won't put it on the basic tier, meaning I need to pay through my ears to receive it.

What I also don't like is that it's not available as a part of some streaming option. I'd be happy to pay for something I could only see online, but it's not an option.

Bogus Megapardus
January 3rd, 2012, 12:57 PM
Does not hurt in the least bit to have Army, Navy in the league...

FCS fans might not appreciate it, but in the PL we're accustomed to LOTS of Army and Navy games. There are a bunch of significant rivalries - Colgate vs Army and Bucknell vs Navy in lacrosse; Lafayette vs Army in baseball; Lehigh vs Army in basketball and American vs Navy in soccer. We're used to these games and we think of Army and Navy as integral, long-time members of our league across the board.

TheBisonator
January 3rd, 2012, 05:49 PM
I really like the CBS Network's coverage of football, and men's and women's basketball over the years.

What I really don't like is that my cable provider won't put it on the basic tier, meaning I need to pay through my ears to receive it.

What I also don't like is that it's not available as a part of some streaming option. I'd be happy to pay for something I could only see online, but it's not an option.

Wasn't that network live-streaming online when it was known as CSTV??

Bogus Megapardus
January 3rd, 2012, 05:52 PM
Wasn't that network live-streaming online when it was known as CSTV??

Correct, CSTV is part of CBS College Sports, which in turn is part of the CBS Sports Network. The Patriot League deal is with the CBS Sports Network, but CSTV also provides on-line streaming for some of the schools. I guess it gets complicated.

TheValleyRaider
January 3rd, 2012, 09:02 PM
Well, the CBS football games this season included UMass @ Holy Cross and Fordham @ Army, so it seems to include OOC and "sort of" OOC events as well.

http://www.patriotleague.org/genrel/082404aaa.html

Colgate-Lehigh was also on CBS College Sports this year

ngineer
January 3rd, 2012, 11:10 PM
Colgate-Lehigh was also on CBS College Sports this year

Yes, I watched the entire game and thought they did an excellent job in covering the game, the coaches, the schools' academic reputations, etc.